Purple Phoenix Reborn (Constantinople ISOT)

Chapter 37
Chapter 37
The Deadly White Mountains

It is said that when you visit the Elysian Valley, you will note two things. First, how fertile the land is. The great forests, gradually fading into farmland and wealthy settlements. Those who live in this wondrous valley do not want for much. At least, once Roman farmers grew accustomed to local conditions and local crops. The Valley is the breadbasket of Roman civilization, for a very good reason. This land and the rivers that feed it are the lifeblood of a resurgent Empire, and in large part why the Romans often proudly claim their new home to be a 'new Eden'.

However, the second thing to note is in the very name itself. The Elysian 'Valley'.

This great and fertile land is surrounded by imposing mountains. The Romans call them Chióni Vouná[1]. The Spanish coined the term 'Sierra Nevada' when they visited Roman lands. Regardless of what you call these peaks, they dominated the area. In fact, to my understanding, even the Romans treat them with wary respect. For many years, no men would dare venture deeply into those mountains. Those who did would, quite often, never return. Only the bravest, or perhaps most foolish, of men would do so. Nonetheless, with the more familiar native peoples to call upon, these mountains would only be a barrier for a time. Not forever. By the time I visited this great land, they were no longer as deadly as they once were. Worthy of respect

Certainly.

But not an impossible barrier. Not to those familiar with the land.

- Journal of Duarte Neves, 1564

The Snowy Mountains. A quaint name, when translated from the more common Greek or Spanish terminology. These mountains, ringing the Elysian Valley, had long dominated the minds of Roman explorers. While Romans, of Greek or Italian stock, were hardly unfamiliar with mountains...these were different. For long stretches, there was simply nothing. No men, few animals, and few trees. Hard granite and other such stone, with the odd spot of green or blue poking out. The desolate parts of the mountains gave rise to another name. The 'White Death', once translated from the native Greek. It is said, even to this day, that anyone brave enough to travel these paths is a fool. It is easy to get lost and turned around, with no landmarks to speak of. And those unfortunate souls who do so?

They would find no respite. The cold stone would give no food, no shelter, and no care for their plight. Many an explorer ventured into the wastes and never returned. From the early days of the Empire, all the way to the modern day, where all modern methods of travel or location finding failed them.

Now, of course, that is only part of the Mountains. There are other areas, vibrant in their life.

Beautiful lakes, surrounded by thriving forests. Some native tribes even chose to willingly live in the mountains, isolated from those in the Valley. However, even these were generally few and far between, by comparison. A great lake to the South of the Valley might have had a greater population than anywhere north of Meosoarcadia.[2] The mountains, for their part, were a great barrier to even the native people of Elysium. Even those that chose to live in the mountains stuck to certain passes. Where the land was more forgiving, and where they could live through even the bitter winters that made other passes deadly. These tribes, and their passes, would prove important in later years. For the early years, though?

It should be little surprise that such imposing spires formed a 'natural border' for the Roman Empire in its early days. From Constantine, to Alexios, to Heraklonas, there was little desire to push past the Chióni Vouná. The Roman population was, plain and simply, not large enough to create a push in that direction. The Elysian Valley, and the coastal areas thereof, was enough. Even when the population did increase, in the reign of Heraklonas? The situation would prove to be much the same as it was for northern exploration. Simply put, why dare dangerous mountain passes, when one could hop on a boat to Dragases? Or even further, to the warm and pleasant lands of the Purépecha?

With this in mind, it is hardly surprising that the Mountains became the border of the Empire. It provided a firm dividing line, between Elysium and the lands beyond. It was a dangerous place to explore, even with native aid. And save for the rich gold mines in the foothills, there seemed to be little of value in the peaks. It was why the Romans under Alexios cared little for pushing the boundary. And Heraklonas, with his general aversion to exploration in general, continued that pattern. Contact with the natives actually familiar with the land, ironically enough, reinforced this decision. The tribes that made their livelihood in the mountains were quite willing to tell what they knew. They were, actually, quite peaceful and willing to help as a general rule.

It was simply that the 'help' amounted to telling the Romans how far the mountains truly spread. For hundreds of mílion, the mountains continued. There were gaps, certainly, and the severity of the peaks would change depending on where one went. Nonetheless, through differing ranges, the mountains of Arcadia continued on. And even when one reached the end of those mountains?

Well, very few of the natives knew much of that. They remained close to home, and those who traveled to their villages often came from other mountain tribes. What was spoken of, were great plains, stretching as far as the eye could see. Plains that were, for the most part, empty. The natives admitted to not knowing the truth themselves, simply relying on old tales spoken by those who had visited the lands past the mountain. Oral traditions and legends, mostly. Nonetheless, what they spoke of seemed distinctly unappealing for anything other than grazing animals.

Which the Romans lacked in great numbers, in addition to the difficulty of getting such animals across the mountains.

All of this added up to a general feeling that can best be summed up by Christos Sideris, an advisor to Emperor Heraklonas:

'What purpose is there, in braving the mountains that ring our realm? Were our ancestors not masters of the sea? If we must expand our realm, something our honorable Emperor believes to be a mistake for the time, why not take to the sea?

Leave the mountains to those who desire them. We gain nothing from such foolish endeavors, when riches- be they our own or those of Europe -come from the sea.'

Elysium, the land before the mountains, was enough. Or so the general feeling went, with no real pressure to expand. That would, and indeed did, change when the Roman population grew ever larger. However, during the reign of the First Three Emperors, that pressure simply wasn't there. It is a tale familiar to anyone who studies the early Arcadian empire, simply because it repeats across all routes of expansion.

This is not to say, mind you, that exploration did not happen. Simply that it was limited and only done by a brave few men and women.

Even if those explorers often died in the process. It was, after all, one such expedition that took the life of Demir the Turk, one of the most famous early explorers of the new Empire.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

So. These are the mountains I've heard so much about?

Holding a hand to his face, Demir frowned beneath the native furs covering his head. The expedition he had joined, led by Andronikos Katopodis, was in the process of packing up its latest camp. This expedition, founded by the Emperor Constantine himself, had departed Constantinople early in 1465.

It was, in turn, simply the latest in many expeditions that Demir had been part of. Constantine was quite interested in the land his prayers had given to his Empire. Both from genuine curiosity and, if Prince Orhan was to be believed, worry about potential threats. Demir knew little of that, as he remained a simple soldier, no matter how he explored. Although he was one of the Prince's most trusted men, and that was something to be proud of.

'Demir, I wish for you to remain on these expeditions. You shall be my eyes and ears among the Greeks. Should you discover land worthy of settling, you must inform me of it. I do not trust the Emperor, nor his men. We will only truly be free when we leave this accursed city.'

Demir had nodded along, although he frowned at his Prince's tone of voice. Prince Orhan had never truly recovered from their salvation. He had seen it as a punishment, being torn from the home and throne he saw as his birthright. Demir could understand it, although he valued his life enough to consider it a price worth paying. Perhaps he had simply not lived the same life his Prince had. Regardless, for the moment, his attention was more on the mountains. And on the sound of a man walking up next to him.

"Quite impressive, aren't they?" Katopodis, himself, spoke those words. The older Greek was staring at Demir with a thin smile, as he wrapped furs around his neck. "It's one thing to see them from the City or our outposts. Quite another to stand in the foothills."

Demir nodded along, returning his gaze to the snowy peaks above them. "I've heard every story from my friends about the mountains. They didn't do them justice."

Friends. That was what the natives were to him. It had begun as prejudiced Italians and Greeks, marking him as more 'uncivialized'. Believing his Turkish heritage meant he was more fitting to speak with the Ohlone. That had grated upon Demir at the time, certainly, but he had rather embraced it now. [3] Simple though they may have been, the natives of Elysium had a certain charm to them. And they certainly did not judge him for being different from the other Romans. He had made it a point, in turn, to learn as much as he could of the natives.

Case in point, a local man who simply called himself 'Wolf' walked up to them. "You are aware of the dangers you are heading into, yes?"

The local man was old and graying, as he tugged a bow over his shoulder. He was one of the few who knew this pass, and had been quite vocal about it being a poor idea to explore.

"I understand that," Demir spoke the same language back, while Katopodis simply raised an eyebrow. Not a single word meant anything to the Greek. The Turk, on the other hand, smiled slightly, "I'm not certain my friends do. I appreciate the warning, anyway."

Demir walked over to his newest native friend, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Are you coming with us?"

Wolf shook his head, "No. I have seen my fill of that pass when I was a much younger man. I will spend my last years here, where I can rest and enjoy the world around me."

With an understanding nod, Demir stepped back, "I can understand that. Sometimes, I think about it myself."

And that wasn't even a lie. Demir had grown to like the simple life of the Elysian natives. He had even considered, more than once, simply leaving and making a living among one of the tribes. Perhaps when this expedition was over…

"Well, is he going with us?" For now, though, Katopodis intruded back in. The man was looking at the mountain with a suitable amount of respect, and clearly wanted a guide.

The Turk could only shake his own head, "No, he won't. He says he saw enough of the pass for a lifetime when he was younger."

"That does not fill me with confidence." The Greek frowned, although he didn't seem too deterred by those words. In fact, he simply tugged his furs tighter and sent a long, lingering gaze at the tallest peak in the area. The snow-capped mountain seemed to have all his attention. Not that it was possible to miss it. "Well, no man ever discovered new lands by sitting around. Shall we set out now, Demir?"

For his part, Demir simply nodded, "From what I've been told, that is probably the best idea. We do not want to go through these mountains in winter. And that will begin soon."

As Katopodis nodded, Demir turned back to the silent old man beside them. Wolf returned the look, understanding what the men were talking about even if he didn't comprehend a word of the Greek language.

"This is something you will regret, my friend," was all he said, as the old man walked off to his home.

Demir watched him go. Perhaps we will. Katopodis is right, though. We won't learn anything by sitting around.

And with that, the Expedition gathered up their supplies. Thirty Romans, mostly Greeks, set off into the mountain pass…

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

…from which none of them would ever return. Exactly which pass the Katopodis Expedition explored is, to this day, something of a mystery.[4] They left a Roman border settlement, in 1465, and vanished into history. Records of the time are mostly gone, and what records remain don't give many clues.

Not that it would help much, even if they had. With centuries of shifting snow and ice, whatever remained of the party was likely lost long ago. Occasionally, a rusty sword or petrified fur will turn up. The legendary status of this expedition has led to many such things being pawned off as 'authentic Katopodis discoveries'. Quite often, these artifacts date to as much as a century after the Expedition vanished.

Similarly, local legends saying that Demir the Turk left the expedition to live among the tribes in the mountains are generally seen as false. Exactly what happened to the most famous member of the expedition is unknown. That, in of itself, has only added to the folk hero status of the man. Regardless of the actual fate of the expedition, it is just one of many cases of Roman explorers vanishing into the mountains. This was a dangerous place, especially for those unprepared for what they were going into. They earned their reputation in those early days.

As the 16th Century progressed, however, that reputation did begin to fade. Not entirely, no, but enough that more brave souls took to the mountains. In fact, when Emperor Leo ascended to the throne, one of many changes he made was a return to exploration.

He had a certain fondness for the mountains, in that regard. Heraklonas had a summer villa in the foothills of some of the more forgiving peaks. One for hunting, primarily, but one that Leo fell in love with. And, in looking up at the mountains, he wondered 'what was beyond them'. Not enough to make it a priority of the Empire, upon his ascension to the throne, but enough to fund more expeditions in the vein of Kataopodis. It wasn't as difficult to sell to his people as it may have seemed. The frontier Romans had long interacted with the natives who called the mountains home. In fact, these peaks were as much home to these Romans as they were to the natives. Quite a change from the early days of the Empire, perhaps, but an expected one.

And the safe passes, as much as 'safe' can apply to any of these, were well known by Leo's time.

It simply made sense to explore, at that point, although it was always done with a suitable level of caution. The story of Demir remained well known. And as the Romans pushed deeper into the mountains, they would learn more and more of the land they called home. A wide open land, mountains or no mountains, that had plenty of room to expand in. Especially following the rivers, further north.

Perhaps there wasn't much, other than natural beauty, to find. Mines were difficult and often not worth the effort, although these did spring up as well. And, occasionally, these did find something worth looking for. Something worth the effort of digging up with relatively primitive means, at high altitudes. That was very rare, however, and generally not worth relying upon. No, the more important part of this was simply learning more of the passes. Because those passes would become quite important, indeed, as the Roman state moved ever further East. And as they did so, they would come to learn that Demir had not been the only Turk to explore the mountain passes.

But that is, of course, for later.

1. Roughly 'Snowy Mountains'. A fitting name, considering how much snowpack could form upon the peaks of these mountains. Snow that was quite important to the local ecosystem, as it turned out, although it was more known for how dangerous it made passes in winter. Even the safer passes were often choked in snow, in particularly bad years.

2. Pa'ashi, 'Big Water', is a large lake to the south of the Elysian Valley. This lake was the center of the local culture, and could support a population rivaling some Mesoarcadian societies. Perhaps not to the same complexity, but certainly a similar population overall. That lake is incredibly important to the local culture and when the first Romans arrived, they were awed to see such a society thriving on the shores of the lake.

3. Demir the Turk's folk hero status among native tribes didn't come about for no reason. He had made it a point of learning as many languages as he could, and was generally at the forefront of the earliest Roman explorations. There is a reason he is remembered fondly, all the way to the modern day. His fate is a topic of much discussion because of this fact.

4. Records being what they are, no one is quite sure where the Katopodis Expedition ended up. Several passes, ranging from the safer to the more dangerous, have been suggested over the years. However, it is likely that this will remain a mystery. As established, whatever remnants left behind by the expedition have probably vanished over the years. It hasn't stopped searches, not even slightly, but it is highly unlikely that anyone will ever find out for sure.

AN: Right. Took longer than we wanted, but there's an update. Continuing the theme of Heraklonas not liking explorations, yes, but at the same time...

The Sierra Nevada range is not something you explore easily. Even the safer passes can be quite deadly if you aren't prepared, and that's not even touching on the more desolate areas. With a population that can comfortably survive in the Central Valley (and the coastal settlements) for some time yet, it doesn't make much sense for the Romans to put much effort into penetrating the mountains. Still, as the population grows larger, pressure will mount. Especially with competition against European colonies moving west.

That'll be fun.

Yay, new update on the Romans-

*sees Demir disappear into legend*

Nooo, he got Donner'd ToT

And that cliffhanger, too. I wonder who took up Demir's mantle as an explorer. Can't wait to find out.

it's weirdly cozy reading about Roman Elysium as a Californian, I love it so much. Also isn't Lake Tahoe an attractive place to settle?
Not really. It's deep in the mountains and hard to access, and there's not a whole lot of flat land around it. I can see a small patch of settlement connecting South Lake Tahoe to Hope Valley, but even Hope Valley is difficult to access.

it's weirdly cozy reading about Roman Elysium as a Californian, I love it so much. Also isn't Lake Tahoe an attractive place to settle?
Tahoe like in our time is likely to become a center of timber and transport as settlements developed in the region but its to isolated and without any big appeal besides beauty to attract drive settlement. Now when mining in the region ramps up then it should grow.

I'm curious, what's the current status of slavery among the Romans? You know, given things like the transatlantic slave trade and the like.

Time for the Range of Light.

That said, if exploring is picking up again, I wonder if we'll be seeing the Puebloans any time soon. Not really a viable land route considering that the Sierra Nevada are the less scary mountain range between them, but the Rio Grande is hard to miss if someone ranges far northeast of Purepecha territory. Considering that OTL they managed to expel the Spanish for more than a decade...

Not really. It's deep in the mountains and hard to access, and there's not a whole lot of flat land around it. I can see a small patch of settlement connecting South Lake Tahoe to Hope Valley, but even Hope Valley is difficult to access.
Tahoe like in our time is likely to become a center of timber and transport as settlements developed in the region but its to isolated and without any big appeal besides beauty to attract drive settlement. Now when mining in the region ramps up then it should grow.
Considering the mention of Demir being far from the only Turk to explore the mountains and Prince Orlan pushing Demir to continue in the aim of finding a separate 'homeland' for his people...

I'm not wondering if Lake Tahoe might end up being where that Turkish Explorers legacy is found.

Yay! More of this is always delightful, thank you<3
I am curious to see what happens when the romans and their allies truly clash with the European colonies, what with them having already basically broken the back of Spanish expansion, at least for now.
I'm also rather curious to see how they're going to solve their iron shortage… maybe trade with the Inca once they meet properly? I'm not sure where the big iron mines in northern Arcadia actually are tbh.

Considering the mention of Demir being far from the only Turk to explore the mountains and Prince Orlan pushing Demir to continue in the aim of finding a separate 'homeland' for his people...

I'm not wondering if Lake Tahoe might end up being where that Turkish Explorers legacy is found.
Considering that its mentioned people keep finding stuff from centuries later and thinking its from the Explorers I think that their disappearance is one of those eternally unsolved mysteries.

Considering that its mentioned people keep finding stuff from centuries later and thinking its from the Explorers I think that their disappearance is one of those eternally unsolved mysteries.
I wasn't talking about Demir. I was talking about the other Turkish explorers' legacy. This bit here:
And as they did so, they would come to learn that Demir had not been the only Turk to explore the mountain passes.

But that is, of course, for later.

Not that it would help much, even if they had. With centuries of shifting snow and ice, whatever remained of the party was likely lost long ago.

Actually, the cold preserves bodies very well. There's an archeological site in the Himalayas where the remains of people who died crossing through the mountains thousands of years ago were preserved.

en.m.wikipedia.org

Roopkund - Wikipedia

So there's a chance someone can solve the mystery.

Last edited:
Actually, the cold preserves bodies very well. There's an archeological site in the Himalayas where the remains of people who died crossing through the mountains thousands of years ago were preserved.

en.m.wikipedia.org

Roopkund - Wikipedia

So there's a chance someone can solve the mystery.

The odds of people never finding them are still quite big though (with them, I mean the corpses).

Hell, December 13th, 1916 there was a huge avalanche at the Alpine Front. There are still hundred of bodies of Italian and Austria-Hungarian soldiers hidden among the ice and snow. I still don't know why they called it White Friday, given that it was a Wednesday

The odds of people never finding them are still quite big though (with them, I mean the corpses).

Hell, December 13th, 1916 there was a huge avalanche at the Alpine Front. There are still hundred of bodies of Italian and Austria-Hungarian soldiers hidden among the ice and snow. I still don't know why they called it White Friday, given that it was a Wednesday
Isn't the issue with those bodies not that they don't know where they are but the fact the avalanche basically shoved them into almost impossible/impossible to get to spots?

Chapter 38
Chapter 38

The Legacy of Emperor Heraklonas

Over the long history of the Roman Empire, in both the Old and New Worlds, many Emperors have come and gone. Men both great and terrible. Those who saved the Empire from catastrophe, and those who led it into the abyss. Some rose to the occasion and have gone down in legend ever since. Others are spoken of with a curse and remembrance of lost chances. For every Saint Constantine, there was an Alexios III. Or Alexios IV. Or Alexios V.

Frankly, that Alexios Palaiologos proved such an excellent Emperor is a remarkable redemption of that name. [1]

Regardless, as varied as Emperors could be, there are some who escape easy classification. Men who were neither 'the best of their day' nor 'utter failures who nearly destroyed the Empire forever'. These Emperors were the very definition of 'good and bad, in equal measure'. Perhaps they did good things for the people, but made poor decisions for the military. Perhaps they failed some grand task, while otherwise maintaining the realm for their successors.

There are few Emperors who fit this mold quite so well as Heraklonas, the third Emperor in Arcadia. Even during his reign, this Emperor defied expectations. He was not his father nor his granduncle. He was also not his son, Leo. Nor his brother, Demetrios. Heraklonas was a man who did what he thought best, even if historians have argued the point ever since. Did he do right by the Empire that was left to him? Did he fail at a critical moment? These questions have hounded his legacy, for centuries.

No matter what else you can say of the man, Heraklonas will forever live on as one of the most curious Emperors in Roman history.

- The Emperors, Episode 6, Imperial Broadcasting Service, 2013

Was Emperor Heraklonas a good ruler? This is a question that has bedeviled historians since the man was still alive and ruling in Constantinople. It would be easy to say 'it depends on who you ask'. An escape from a difficult question.

However, even that answer is one that doesn't really work. Some historians will claim he was a perfectly fine ruler, but simply the wrong one for the time. Others will say he was a poor ruler, but the right one for his time. And then there are those who will throw up their hands in defeat and acknowledge that Heraklonas was a complex man in a complicated position. While acknowledging that he was caught in a situation where there was no true victory. That he never reached the lofty heights of Saint Constantine or Alexios the Lawmaker, but through no fault of his own. That the man will forever be compared to two of the greatest Emperors in history, and that ultimately left him in a position where he would always be judged for whatever he did.

And likely found wanting. Indeed, as previously covered (see: State of the Empire, 1520) Emperor Heraklonas is generally remembered poorly. In the popular imagination, if nothing else.

Nonetheless, no matter where you fall on this spectrum, it's undeniable that you can't talk about the early Empire in Arcadia, without touching on Heraklonas. He was the man who had to uphold the legacy left by Constantine and Alexios, for better or worse. It was that very legacy that rests like a millstone around the Emperor's neck. Constantine had saved the Empire, or so it is commonly believed. He had certainly established the foundation that carried it forward in a new world.

Alexios had reinforced that foundation, with laws that endure to this day. He had expanded the Empire ever outward, eventually authorizing the expedition that would introduce the Purépecha to the Empire. He is also the one who began to slow that expansion and exploration, after the encounter with the Aztec. Leaving the Empire at its greatest extent, to that point. With a wealth of gold from the mountains filling long-empty coffers as the population grew ever larger.

And it was this Empire that Heraklonas was left with. A prosperous and wealthy land, with no true enemies. The Aztec were a far away concern of Prince Demetrios and his adoptive homeland. Elysium was a rich land, with scattered tribes. None of which proved to be any threat to the Empire. Very few were hostile at all.

It's what he did with the Empire that he inherited that speaks to Heraklonas' legacy. As his personality has been covered in some detail we shall focus on the Empire he built.

As Heraklonas entered the twilight of his life, the Empire had reached a new level of power and prestige. It had expanded from the coastal strips, to fill out the entire Elysian Valley. Or Great Valley, or Grand Valley, or even Valley of God depending on who you ask.[2] Control of this valley had secured the Empire a breadbasket like no other. It was a vast and fertile land, although admittedly one with flooding concerns. Even by the 1540s, nearly a century since Constantinople had arrived, it was nowhere near filled to capacity. Neither the City, nor the Valley supporting it.

Granted, part of the reasoning for that was simply an abundance of land. While many Romans settled the rich valley, and even richer gold mines nearby, many more set out. During Constantine and Alexios' reign, many of these settlers had settled the coast of Elysium. From as far south as Dragases, the 'Second City of the Empire', to as far north as what would become Prince Romanos' realm. As Heraklonas ascended to the throne, he inherited that realm.

Where he promptly put all his focus and attention into fortifying that land. For the thirty odd years he ruled the Empire, this remained his main goal. Much has been made of Heraklonas' decision to halt exploration and expansion. Many will argue he wasted a prime opportunity, with no competition, to expand the Empire to yet greater heights. Perhaps this is true, although it would be many years to come before Europeans came remotely close to Roman lands.

Regardless, it was arguably a prudent decision. Even if one made as much to spite his brother and feed into the Emperor's own vanity projects as anything else.

Many times, the Roman Empire has expanded past what it could reasonably control. Civil Wars, external foes, or simply the inability to properly rule its vast lands. All of these had happened more times than can be counted. In focusing on consolidating what he had inherited, Heraklonas stumbled into the right path...for the most part. The Empire had a firm foundation thanks to Alexios, and Heraklonas reinforced that foundation. His building projects, expanding existing towns and villages, created a framework to expand on. And gave a strong state for the growing population to fill out, as the seemingly unending baby boom continued. [3]

The loose control of the Empire, outside the rivers and coasts, firmed up. Roads connected far flung settlements, and wealth flowed back to Constantinople. The thin lines of communication became proper networks, allowing even the distant mountain settlements to hear the latest news from Constantinople. Forts and outposts supported the slimmed down army, often built on the initiative of the locals. The Army lacked the state funding to do much, as it was far too small and neglected for that. This was something of a...mixed legacy for Heraklonas. As said before, he loathed the military for their love of Demetrios. And their dislike for the frail Emperor. His actions to slim it down were as much to prop up his own rule as to save money.

Nonetheless, and ignoring the slimmed down army, the Emperor had consolidated his realm. Before the Empire had a chance to expand too far, and fragment into arguing statelets only 'bending the knee' to the Emperor out of obligation, not loyalty. Even with the reverence the Palaiologos family had gained from Saint Constantine, this was a real risk. Certainly, there were those who would have loved their own realm.

Prince Romanos' little princedom did not come about for no reason.

It was only when the existing Empire had secured itself, gaining proper control of the Alexian borderlands, that Heraklonas...reluctantly allowed for further expansion. It had continued without his approval, of course, even as his grand projects were undertaken. In 'allowing' expansion, the Emperor simply gave up on holding it back. For the most part.

It remained officially discouraged and the Emperor often ranted in private to both his wife and eldest son, Leo. Who did a very good job of hiding his frustration with his father on this matter.

Either way, the Empire began to grow once more. Slowly and reluctantly, perhaps, but it grew nonetheless. The Empire began to press in on the foothills of the Chióni Vouná. The coastal strip moved ever further north and south, with some unofficial settlements even stretching to the peninsula at the southern end of Elysium.[4] Moreover, where valleys and rivers allowed for it, the Empire even pushed past the mountains. In terms of land occupied, it even exceeded the previous expansion in some respects. However, it was not the same explosive growth in population.

Much of the newly occupied lands remained only thinly controlled. It was not uncommon to go hundreds of mílion between notable villages. Much of this land was only Roman because no one contested it, save perhaps scattered tribes. It was part of the reason Emperor Heraklonas was so reluctant to grow his Empire. There simply weren't enough Romans for the amount of land they were surrounded by. Indeed, for decades to come, much of the ostensibly 'Roman' land still remained largely empty of actual Romans.

When looking at a map of theoretical Roman control, it is worth remembering that fact. Claimed land, even with various forts and villages, did not necessarily equate to well populated land.

In any event, allowing this expansion would be one of the last acts that Emperor Heraklonas is remembered for. He allowed the Empire to grow again, on a semi-official level. And, furthermore, he pumped the vast gold reserves into rebuilding the Army and Navy. Those had long stagnated, but spooked by the arrival of Europeans, the Emperor did his utmost to rebuild them.

This has, of course, been noted before. It bears repeating, however, because it was one of the things that Heraklonas is remembered for.

In the end, however, it is also another part of his complex legacy. The Emperor consolidated his realm and proved to be an able administrator. He built upon the foundation given to him, and created a strong, stable state. Many men would have been blinded by the vast expanses of mostly empty land. Many more would have seen the literal mountains of gold as an excuse to spread that wealth far and wide.

And while Heraklonas was certainly vain enough to use that gold on his pet projects, including Blachernae, he didn't go that far. As part of his efforts to build a strong Empire, he also brought the wealthy gold mines under Imperial control. Those would be used for the State, and there would be no gold rush. A prudent decision on many levels.

For all of this effort at consolidation, however, the Emperor is also remembered for his reluctance to explore and his gutting of the military. It would be his brother, Demetrios, who was the first contact point for the Europeans. It was his expedition, aging as it was, that gave the Spanish and others their first look at the Arcadian Romans. And it was Demetrios who shaped much of what those visitors expected.

Heraklonas was fortunate, in a way, in the fact Demetrios still cared about his homeland and gave proper warning of what was to come.

This allowed Heraklonas, in the twilight of his life, to rebuild what had long been left to rot. It allowed him to prepare the Empire for what was to come, and give his son Leo something to inherit. In his last days, the Emperor shone brighter than ever before. It was a panicked overreaction in many ways, but it remained a strong final showing. Leo would inherit a rebuilt military, modernized with Europeans paid a king's ransom.

And, of course, he also inherited an Empire at the height of its size and power.

This, more than anything, is why Heraklonas has such a complex legacy. Many remember him primarily as the man who stopped the First Roman Age of Exploration.[5] As the man who kept the Empire from growing out as far or as fast as it could. This side of the Emperor is known for his caution and for playing political games while the military fell apart and Demetrios fought the enemies of the Empire.

'Heraklonas clad his palace in gold, while Demetrios tromped through battlefields to sign the Treaty of Vera Cruz' is a common argument.

It is, of course, unfair to the man. Indeed, Heraklonas was a political animal through and through. A man who deeply enjoyed flaunting his power and nobility. And one who had a vain and jealous streak as large as the Hagia Sophia. He was generally remembered, even by Leo, as a prickly personality who few actually liked. The less said about how Prince Romanos viewed his father, the better.

For all of that, however, Heraklonas knew how to rule his realm. He was not quite as skilled as Alexios. Yet, Heraklonas was the able administrator the Empire arguably needed. The state required a guiding hand, to ensure it would not collapse under its own weight. In this, if nothing else, the Third Emperor knew what he was doing. Those who see him as a perfectly capable Emperor point to this. Even those who believe he was a poor ruler can acknowledge he was probably the right one for his time.

Regardless, one cannot escape the fact that he did have his flaws and mistakes. Greatly exaggerated by the enduring popularity of Prince Demetrios or not. In fact, many of the issues with Heraklonas are often summed up as 'he wasn't his brother'. Demetrios was the well liked and popular brother. The warrior prince who gained the Empire's most enduring ally. Who met the Spanish and secured a treaty to buy time.

And a man who was seen, even at the time, as a much more likable human being.

Yet, as we reach the end of Heraklonas legacy, the question must be asked again.

Was he a poor ruler?

In the end, the answer is 'no, although he was very much a flawed man'. Heraklonas was a personally unlikable man. He exiled his sons, and barred his brother from his original home. He was vane and spent much of his personal wealth, at least for most of his life, on his palaces. He was a frail Emperor who compensated with a life of court intrigue the envy of the old Emperors.

However, for all of that, Heraklonas was an incredibly skilled administrator who built a strong Empire that would endure long past his death. He took what his father and Saint Constantine had left for him, and ensured it would not fall apart. Perhaps he could have continued the explorations and found new things sooner, such as the Tawantinsuyu far to the south. Or the various tribes past the mountains, especially to the southern end of Elysium-proper.

All of that is true. However, it would arguably have been overextending the Empire. And for all that Heraklonas was overly cautious, he did prevent the Empire from descending into Civil War as it grew too large, too fast. And, in the end, even what expansion that did occur remained very thinly and sparsely populated for a long time to come.

Perhaps the largest negative that can be said about the man was his neglect of the Roman Military. This will forever be a black mark upon him, and the Emperor was indeed fortunate for both his brother and the fact that Elysium was a safe land. Had the Empire been reformed just about anywhere else, his actions would have been...poor indeed. As it was, it did not do terrible harm to the state.

It left the Empire behind the Europeans, of course, though the lack of iron would have made that an inevitability regardless.

At the end of his life, the Emperor did recover from this, somewhat. His vast and hoarded wealth would fund an explosion in Roman technical knowledge, as European soldiers, sailors, shipwrights and so forth were recruited. This would allow the Empire to rapidly catch up in areas where it was deficient, although not quite as fast as the Purépecha with their easier access to Europe. It was a final action of an old man to prepare his homeland for the future.

For, in the grand scheme of things, Emperor Heraklonas did not live long past the arrival of Europeans. In the 72nd year of his life, 1546, Emperor Heraklonas would pass. His complicated legacy would last long past this moment, of course.

But in the moment, the Empire he had maintained fell to his son, Leo.

And Emperor Leo VII would live up to his name. A lion of a man, who remains one of the most popular Arcadian Roman Emperors to this day.

1. Alexios was a proud name for an Emperor, when looking at Alexios I. It was a name that became cursed, when considering the mess of the 4th Crusade. In Arcadia, the Emperor Alexios was every bit the equal of his namesake. Perhaps not as a military man, but certainly as a lawmaker.

2. The Valley has many names, depending on how pious the person you're asking is. All of them do amount to the same thing, though. And that's a reverence for it, and how it was the perfect place for the Empire to grow. Floods excepted.

3. The Roman population growth is an interesting topic to study, in its own right. Free of external threats and with a vast quantity of rich land to expand into, it was quite impressive. Many, many children were born in Arcadia in those days. Even as fast as the population grew, and for as long as it kept up, however...it was still not enough for the sheer quantity of land. Natives helped, but the Empire remained fairly thinly populated for a long time to come.

4. This peninsula was not the most forgiving of land. The settlements in the area remained very small and far apart, with this being one of the most thinly populated and loosely controlled areas for a long time. Even ships sailing from Mesoarcadia rarely visited.

5. The Second Age of Roman Exploration would come well after Heraklonas passed on. This was focused largely on the vast expanse of the ocean, and less on land. Although as passes were explored, this would come as well. Arcadia was a vast land in its own right, and the Romans had plenty of places to explore close to home.

AN: Right, that took longer than anticipated. Hopefully still good, though it was certainly difficult to get right. Probably not the best it could have been, but at least its up at this point. Will take that for the victory it is.

Basically, in the end, Heraklonas is a flawed man who often did things for the wrong reason. Because he was a jealous little man, in the end. However he stumbled into being the right ruler for the time, because frankly, the Empire didn't need headlong expansionism. It needed consolidation. And, for better or worse, that's what he gave it.

'The wrong man at the right time' indeed.

Last edited:
As for The Map: Still not a mapmaker and make no claims to the contrary. Didn't want to really get into the micro of it all, but the text explains pretty well. The Empire looks big and impressive, certainly, on the map. But realistically speaking, those vast tracts of land (heh) are basically empty of practical control for much of it. Roads connect far flung and small villages and forts. There's no one to really contest the control, but it doesn't mean there's a lot of Romans in that land.

Frankly speaking, it'll probably be 1600 before much of that existing land is populated well.

But, well, didn't want to get that micro. So consider this the maximum extent of the Empire, but not necessarily well controlled. Romanos goes double here, because he's got perhaps a few thousand actual Romans. And the local natives.

BIG IMPRESSIVE EMPIRE that is kinda a paper tiger for most of its land, really.

Also, same things applies as the older ones. Darker purple is 'direct control' for whatever counts as direct control. Lighter purple is 'explored and maybe settled a bit by the adventurous sort' but not directly ruled. And we have the addition of an even lighter shade for Romanos, who bends the knee to his father (and brother) but basically runs his own princedom for all practical purposes.

And belated link added because we missed that on the edit pass, damnit >.>

(Hopefully nothing else)

Heraklonas is definitely one of those middling leaders. Not great, but not bad, and sets the stage for someone better.

With that said, I can't wait for Emperor Leo XD

Last edited:
Considering the pitfalls of monarchy, "not being too bad, and leaving a functional state on the way out" isn't that bad an endorsement of an emperor. Most of them just need to keep the wheels rolling, and he was lucky to not live in interesting times

This remind me a little of Yongzheng Emperor, or Emperor Shizong of Qing. His rule was also unpopular, mostly because he was harsh even with his supporter; his reign was much shorter compared to his father and his son, and less remembered - the Harmony Era of the time was named after the latter two and not him. However, it is undeniable that he was also the Emperor who consolidate the Qing Empire after Kangxi, and build the foundation upon with Qianlong would raise the nation to its highest point.

Well, the marked difference is that nowadays the opinion about him is unquestionably good though; it is quite widely accepted that without him there may not even be a High Qing era.

Some Word of God from Discord: while the Second Age of Exploration hasn't kicked off yet, as you can see exploration of the Mojave is underway and the desert is eating explorers.

I think we can guess why the Second Age is going to be maritime…

So the Romans haven't reached Yosemite (which probably won't be preserved if you include the locals in the discussion) but explorers have reached Lake Tahoe

Back