Post-Mortem Activities (Undead!Taylor, Slight Crack)

-decay would be incredibly mild for less than a day, as would maggot development.-

-Same issue. Plus initial disinfection would probably have killed them.-

Point the first: Where did you get your less than a day bit? Nothing in the first two chapters gives any sort of timeline between death and discovery.

Point the second: As per research at the Body Farm in Chattanooga shows, temp and humidity play a big role in decay rates, without knowing the conditions she was in or for how long, we cannot know the decay rate. Also, the maggots she was infested with may not have been laid in her body: there was biological waste in the locker, the maggots may have transferred from that.

Point the third: Initial Decon cleans the outside of the specimen. She obviously woke up before they began the examination of the throat. The maggots that had crawled in there would have been safe until the Pathologist began cutting.

Query the first: Why do eyeball flames always have to be black or red or green? Evil looking and crap? Just once I'd like to see the zombies rise with bright yellow happy flames like a candle in a slight breeze.

Point the first: Where did you get your less than a day bit? Nothing in the first two chapters gives any sort of timeline between death and discovery.

Point the second: As per research at the Body Farm in Chattanooga shows, temp and humidity play a big role in decay rates, without knowing the conditions she was in or for how long, we cannot know the decay rate. Also, the maggots she was infested with may not have been laid in her body: there was biological waste in the locker, the maggots may have transferred from that.

Point the third: Initial Decon cleans the outside of the specimen. She obviously woke up before they began the examination of the throat. The maggots that had crawled in there would have been safe until the Pathologist began cutting.

Query the first: Why do eyeball flames always have to be black or red or green? Evil looking and crap? Just once I'd like to see the zombies rise with bright yellow happy flames like a candle in a slight breeze.
-point one- I'm actually not sure, I think it was in Taylor's conversation with her mother, but I might have extrapolated it from somewhere, or just guessed and not remembered due to exhaustion.
Point two- Excellent point. Except Brockton Bay is a cew hours from Boston by commonly accepted reasoning/WoG. Boston in december rises to a positively sweltering 7 degrees centegrade with an average of 5, growing colder as the month progresses. January (end of break) would be cold.
Point three- Assuming waste hight of knee high or possibly thigh hight to be generous (due to the presumed poor quality of wet tampons as a building material) any maggots in her head/neck would have had to be either hatched there or crawled there... away from the redily accessable food.-

Point two- Excellent point. Except Brockton Bay is a cew hours from Boston by commonly accepted reasoning/WoG. Boston in december rises to a positively sweltering 7 degrees centegrade with an average of 5, growing colder as the month progresses. January (end of break) would be cold.
Point three- Assuming waste hight of knee high or possibly thigh hight to be generous (due to the presumed poor quality of wet tampons as a building material) any maggots in her head/neck would have had to be either hatched there or crawled there... away from the redily accessable food.-
And if she had been outside, I would agree with you, but she was inside, in a public building that is kept heated, or the biowaste wouldn't have been as bad as described, Add her breathing hard in panic before dying, lack of humidity data, and the tightly enclosed area that she was in, and we don't know the decay rate.

I agree that when she was stuffed into the locker, it was not more than thigh deep at best. I have to assume that she struggled, trying to get out, especially after she realized something was very wrong. (Unless she tore a vein or artery and bled out quick, but the first paragraph doesn't support that.) As she does, some of it would be compacted under her, getting squished under feet and legs. Some, however, would be trapped between her body and the locker, possibly even ending up above her head. (I was going to include an autopsy description here, but it's restricted to students, faculty, and LEOs only. I will try and find a description that is not.)

Between the various adhesive bits on some of the waste, the biological waste being tacky and her limited space and movements, it is quite possible that at least some of it ended up at or above her head.

As for there being maggots there, I assume that they had to be in the rotting biowaste because, despite the lack of a timeline, Blowflies and Fleshflies take up to24 hours to arrive and lay eggs. Injuries with blood would be the first target of the flies, followed by natural offices, including her mouth. The issue there is that despite Winslow being a hellhole where a girl could die in her locker, I can't see the body going undisturbed for the four days it would take for the larva to get to prepupa stage and start separating out of maggot masses to become flies.

The maggots had to be there before she was. It takes four days for Blowfly eggs to reach the prepupa stage, where they break up the maggot masses and start looking for a secluded area to make their transformation into adult flies.

Damn it...

Now I'm trying to figure out just how I would determine the time of death in this case. The bugline is off, maggot masses raise corpse temperatures, lividity would still work, rigor mortis would help.

Might have to find egg masses in the body itself and allow them to hatch for a limeline.

Edit: After I posted this, my SO read it and reminded me that not everyone wanted to know the details of death and Forensic Entomology. If anyone has a problem, let me know and I will remove it.

Last edited:
Edit: After I posted this, my SO read it and reminded me that not everyone wanted to know the details of death and Forensic Entomology. If anyone has a problem, let me know and I will remove it.
Anyone who didn't check out when the rotten corpse started playing yo-yo with her own heart has only themselves to blame. Do keep going. I mean, I don't think it really matters a lot, but my knowledge of this kind of thing boils down to "I read a book about forensics once" so I really enjoy the opportunity to learn more.

This VVV TBH.
Anyone who didn't check out when the rotten corpse started playing yo-yo with her own heart has only themselves to blame. Do keep going.
I also enjoy the opportunity to learn more.

I'm pretty sure most of those are physically impossible, as in, yo-yos don't actually work like that. It still really made me laugh, though.
IIRC, Taylor explicitly mentioned that they worked far better than she expected, and that she checked and it was because as an undead she had mild telekinesis.
Also, the maggots she was infested with may not have been laid in her body: there was biological waste in the locker, the maggots may have transferred from that.
This was basically how I understood it: most of the rotting happened already within the locker.

IIRC, Taylor explicitly mentioned that they worked far better than she expected, and that she checked and it was because as an undead she had mild telekinesis.
I meant that modern yo-yos have this thing where if you swing them with enough force, the middle axle decouples from the rest of the rotating body so that the yo-yo can keep spinning even though the string is already at full extension. It's not so much a matter of "working better" as it is a matter of not being able to do most of those tricks at all, because they require that decoupling to be there.

It's really just a little thing that came to mind, though. Probably wouldn't have noticed it myself if I hadn't lived through the last big craze where yo-yos were actually popular, haha.

[edit] A flywheel, that's what it's called. They act like a flywheel.

Last edited:
Checked, yeah. She has poltergeist telekinesis. If she can lift a knife off the table it would be easy to subconsciously spin a heart inside of a string loop to simulate the flywheel effect yo yos have.

If you see a half-pound soggy organ rotate inside of a loop of string, you probably wouldn't need to check yourself for telekinesis afterwards to realize that something is playing silly bugger with physics. Makes for a funny scene in own right, though.

Revenant 1.3
After a few hours with mom helping her unpack in Hel, I asked "Hey, do you think you'd be able to come back and visit dad with me? The barrier isn't a problem, so there shouldn't be any issues."

At this, mom noted "You do realize my body's been buried for about three years, right? I'm pretty sure that getting it out from under that headstone is pretty far outside the realm of feasibility."

I only grinned, before noting "Back in the land of the living I was actually able to pull off a bit of telekinesis, and I'm pretty sure that's what I'm using to move my bones around in the first place. I'm thinking that us dead folks are probably able to muster a lot more spookiness than that if we put our minds to it, meaning that our bodies probably aren't actually necessary for anything."

After a few moments of thinking, mom nodded, before saying "Well, it's worth a shot at the very least."

The decision made, we left mom's house in the snowy norse underworld behind and made our way to the world of the living. Both of us slipped through the gash I'd already chainsawed in the afterlife barrier around the police station, making the last step out of the afterlife simultaneously.

Sitting my corpse up again, I noted that I was no longer in the cleanroom, but that was definitely still the police station. To be more specific, it was the main lobby. Apparently once my bones had been cleaned, the CDC folks had been nice enough to wire me together, and they'd even provided a plain white sundress held in place by shoulder straps. Also, dad had just jumped me for a hug, probably as soon as he saw my eye sockets light up green.

Pulling back slightly, I told dad "Don't worry, I'm still here. I'm still Taylor. I'm just a bit spookier now."

Sniveling, and barely wiping the tears from his eyes, dad nodded. After nearly a minute of hugging, he released, and I could finally stand up properly. Looking around to see if mom was present, I noticed a vaguely humanoid area of heat haze in the room in a spot where it had no reason to be. The heat haze I suspected to be my mom waved, and with a slight nod all three of us made our way to the car.

Getting into the truck next to dad, I buckled up out of sheer habit, the lower seatbelt pulling the dress back and settling up against my spine. Huh, just realized I could actually feel that, despite not having any nerve endings. Meh, I'm a spooky ghost wearing her skeleton, none of this makes any sense, so let's just roll with it.

Either way, as dad drove through Brockton Bay, it only took him a few minutes to ask "So, how's the afterlife?"

Thinking on things for a few moments, I replied "This is going to take a bit to explain. So, start with your stereotypical mythological underworld."

Dad nodded, before saying "I can do that. Dreary cave atmosphere, rocks everywhere, that sort of thing."

Nodding, I elaborated "Then have massive numbers of regular people in charge of the decorating for who knows how long, knowing they'll be there forever, and with the ability to literally imagine new scenery into existence."

As we pulled up to a traffic light, dad answered "Ah, that seems like it would change things."

While the light was still very firmly red, mom spoke up from the back seat, suddenly visible (if a bit translucent, with blue eye-flames) as she said "Yes, it most certainly would. You wouldn't believe some of the ludicrous architecture trends I've seen."

Jumping in his seat slightly as the light turned green, dad replied "Annette? Have you really come back?"

Mom smiled before saying "Well, I'm still dead, if that's what you're asking. However, thanks to our little girl here chainsawing a hole in the afterlife that doesn't seem to matter quite so much any more."

That evening, dad was the only one to eat dinner; in the case of both mom and I it seemed rather silly to try that considering that the most likely result was it falling right through to the floor the instant we weren't paying attention to it any more. I really didn't want to spend ages trying to get bits of cheese sauce out from all the little nooks and crannies in my pelvis.

Either way, as we all sat around the kitchen table, mom asked "So, now that we're all together again, what's the plan?"

I immediately replied "Well, I for one intend on getting some education reforms rammed through so that a case of bullying like what happened to me can't happen again. I should probably also get ready for Emma, Madison, and Sophia's trials, since I'm somewhat likely to get called as a witness. Never going back to Winslow, though."

Mom just nodded, while dad replied "Firmly agreed on that point. I'd still like if you finished your education, though."

Shrugging, I replied "Well, my options there are to either try and transfer to Arcadia, or attend one of the schools in the afterlife. Not like I'm the first girl who died before she could finish her education. The only problem is that the diploma may not be transferable to stuff in the living world."

Either way, after dinner mom and dad both went upstairs. In mom's case, she just floated up and phased through the ceiling, while dad took the stairs up. Personally, I opted to stay downstairs for about an hour to use the computer, looking up the laws relevant to my situation, and browsing PHO. Huh, apparently I'd become a meme, also good going Cattyness!

Either way, I got pretty bored, so I wandered upstairs and knocked on the door to my parent's room. After a few seconds I heard dad mutter "Come in." so I opened the door.

Looking upon the scene in front of me, I quickly saw rumpled sheets hastily placed over dad's pelvis, a small blob of barely-visible white goop floating inside mom's ghostly form, and some rather specialized props in use. Knowing exactly what I had just walked in on, I hurriedly stammered out "MomdadI'mgoingforawalkdon'tworryI'vegotmychainsawseeyoulater!" and vacated the area immediately.

Yeah, I was already planning for that walk, but now the awkwardness level made it pretty much mandatory. Either way, I got my keys, opened the door, locked up behind me, and strode out into the night.

Last edited:
Huh...
Well, his wife loves him so much that she became dead set on proving it.
Clearly walking in on her parents rattled her.
So the dead visiting the living is more of a vacation type thing at this point?
I think Taylor's testimony could insure the case is cleared before the deadline.
I'll stop... I'm not good and dead puns. It's hard for me to dig up good ones and most material I can think of just lead to a dead end.

Huh...
Well, his wife loves him so much that she became dead set on proving it.
Clearly walking in on her parents rattled her.
So the dead visiting the living is more of a vacation type thing at this point?
I think Taylor's testimony could insure the case is cleared before the deadline.
I'll stop... I'm not good and dead puns. It's hard for me to dig up good ones and most material I can think of just lead to a dead end.
"Prognosis, Doctor?"

"worst case of Terminal Humor I've ever seen. This guy's sense of humour spawned at least one Monty Python skit that I know of. It's pushing up daisies, (Yadda yadda, you know the lines, people, do I really need to type them out?)

"Prognosis, Doctor?"

"worst case of Terminal Humor I've ever seen. This guy's sense of humour spawned at least one Monty Python skit that I know of. It's pushing up daisies, (Yadda yadda, you know the lines, people, do I really need to type them out?)
Yes.

I wonder if Taylor or Anette can still eat, watching food digest...

...I can honestly say I didn't expect Ghost Blowjob to show up. I don't know how I didn't expect it, but I didn't.

The lack of WOOO means you only get an 8/10 on the meme-o-scale though.

Lucky them that there isn't actually a law against necrophilia, I guess.

...instead, there's a law against the desecration of human remains, just so that nobody gets any wrong ideas here.

Hmm. The next endbringer battle is the Simurgh, I think.

Winged_One descends on Boston, and 'accidentally' gets splashed with red paint in the form of cross hairs; with a note underneath that reads 'To Flechette, shoot here for massive damage'.

"Look just because she got back up afterwards doesn't mean it's not murder."

Taylor: SPOOKY SCARY SKELETONS! SENDS SHIVERS DOWN YOUR SPINE!

Defense: She's going to do that until I drop the "She's not dead as definded by the State Statue" argument isn't she?

Back