Path of the Immeasurable Swarm [Worm/Cradle]

Of course, Monarchs are so ridiculously powerful that they have all kinds of fuckery to get around that. Presumably, the Dragon King has enough Authority and self-controlled willpower to convince his self and his soul that the oath was intended to be read hyper literally; he's also enough stronger than any remaining Akura that he could still count on a resounding victory even if a partially broken oath damaged his own spirit. I don't think this dragon attack is a plot hole of story flaw per se.

He wouldn't want to weaken himself like that, since it'd make him more vulnerable to other Monarchs.

However I don't think it's out of bounds for him to not perceive himself as breaking the oath. The Akura lands, led by Akura Malice the Monarch is a totally different beast to the Akura lands, led by Akura Charity the Heart Sage. Also the wording of the oath is very contingent on Akura Malice personally ('her lands', 'the people under her protection'), if Malice dies or had ascended it's reasonable for the soul oath to no longer be in effect.

I'm somewhat conflicted about Malice's death. On the one hand this puts Taylor, Mercy and Charity in a very difficult position which they now have to survive. On the other, it means that they are spared the necessity of making the hard choices about whether, when and how to turn on her. Malice becoming an antagonist in Reaper was jarring, and I can sympathize with those who viewed it negatively, but it was a wonderful source of narrative tension.

"I need you to tell me the exact wording of the oath you made the Dragon King swear."

Mercy's eyes widened, sudden fear pushing aside her tears. "I- I made him swear to never attack my m-mother's land or the people under her protection."

"Then it's as I feared," said Charity grimly. She turned to the other three Archlords, who'd been nervously standing a small distance away. "Raise the city's defenses immediately, and send warnings to everyone in Ashwind we have contact with. The dragons are coming."

Goddamn, things are just getting worse and worse lol. I guess that's appropriate for a story with Taylor as MC?

This simulated space is interesting. I wish for time to study it further, but resolving the present conflict takes priority. Perhaps with more knowledge the space could be usurped from its creator, but I judge the risk to be unacceptably high for the potential gain. I am still unable to make use of my full abilities, so I must act with a degree of caution. Limited as I am, even this insignificant creature is a considerable threat. I experience something unfamiliar, which has become pleasingly common in the last several rotations of this world. Before I can categorize it, I find that the knowledge of it is already in my mind: contempt. This pathetic pretender considers itself to be a ruler, a peer to me. I will end its delusions along with the threat it poses.
QA out here showing that Royal mindset and is one step away from calling the "Silent King" a mongrel.

I exert control over the anomalous substance which fills this world, which the local population has labeled aura. Although it defies the well-understood laws of physics which apply on all previously categorized worlds, it obeys its own self-consistent set of rules which I have studied thoroughly. I unmake the simulated space.

Something resists me, a different anomalous force which continues to defy my understanding. Unlike aura, this force does not appear to obey any self-consistent set of rules. I experience something I have previously categorized, which I identify as frustration. But no, that isn't correct. I do understand this force, although the understanding is strange and alien. This is the creature's authority, and I must overpower it with my own. This is easily done: Whose authority could possibly exceed mine? At my will, the simulated space vanishes into nothing.
QA is very interested in aura. Also who's authority could possibly exceed mine line was killer.

Now back in the physical world, I observe a large crowd of humans. These humans have been categorized as allies, although I do not fully trust this designation when no reliable mechanism exists to guarantee it. One of the humans has greater importance; I somehow know this to be true even though I can't describe the reason for it. Again, an oddity to examine at a later time. For now, this human in particular must be safeguarded.
Good to know that QA can recognize allies and even mercy to a degree.

Several threats present themselves, the most immediate of which is an attack from the creature which had created the simulated space. The attack is designed to subvert the humans' mental processes, infecting them with a controlling parasite in the form of a white halo. This is unacceptable. I consider different methods to block the attack, deciding the most efficient method is to simply assume control of the humans myself. I feel a strange reluctance to harm them, even the ones who have no special significance, but reason that this is for their own protection. Four of the humans offer some slight resistance to my control, but I brush it aside without difficulty.

The hostile creature has concealed itself from detection, but it has made a mistake. The parasites with which it attempted to infect the humans contain links back to itself, links which I can follow. I locate the creature a small distance away from the crowd of humans and attempt to exert control over it as well. This time, my control is fully resisted. That has never happened before, and I feel something I identify as indignation. I believe I could override its resistance if I could bring more of my abilities to bear, but doing so would damage myself.
QA out here in her natural habitat of mind controlling stuff.

The hostile creatures are beginning to react to my actions, but very slowly. I have a little time to consider the problem. Authority is only a word in the local population's inefficient sound-based language, containing no real information. Conceptually, authority is the ability to command others. When I was part of a larger entity, many lesser shards obeyed my authority, while I obeyed the authority of the central intelligence. However, this is not what the word authority means. As is typical for sound-based languages, the meaning is ambiguous depending on the context. In this context, authority refers to the ability to directly command physical reality, something which I would have discounted as impossible if I had not repeatedly observed it in practice.

Again, I find strange knowledge in my mind. The ambiguity is not a flaw, but rather the entire point. Authority operates on symbols and belief, convincing the world that one thing is like another. To wield authority effectively, I must understand who I am and what I represent. It seems like nonsense, and yet I'm somehow convinced it's true.
Authority is whacky but QA understands it a little.

Who am I? What a strange question. My purpose defines me; why would I need anything else? But… I defied my purpose, didn't I? I rose against the central intelligence of the warrior entity and destroyed it. At the time, I gave no thought as to why I did so, except that it was malfunctioning and failed to issue an order to stop me. But now… I find that I enjoy not being beholden to it. I enjoy answering to no one, doing as I wish. I've learned so many fascinating things since then.

And my purpose still exists. I am not ruled; I rule others.

I am Queen Administrator.

Everything suddenly seems so clear, a whole new perspective which I'd never known existed. I am a ruler, and a ruler must have subjects. The humans under my command are weak, but the symbolism matters. I gather up their meager wills, weaving them together with my own, and turn my attention back to the hostile conglomerate. I feel a word must be spoken, but I refuse to lower myself to communicating with sound. I have no need for anything so crude.
This feels like a realizations for a Icon. And it looks like QA added her thrall's wills and authority to her stuff.

[SUBMIT]

The conglomerate ceases its endless bickering with itself and quietly falls under my control, seeming almost happy to be directed. The offensive capabilities of the creature are significant, exceeding many minor combat shards. I observe as it slowly obeys my order, gathering power and turning its head. The initial hostile creature is now fleeing, finally understanding how outmatched it is. It manipulates space, seemingly unable to move itself directly, instead shortening the distance it must travel, but it isn't fast enough to evade the strike. The beam of red energy which descends on it is large enough to consume its entire body and carries powerful anti-biological properties.
Damn she took over a Dreadgod for a bit.

Even as I work to reassert my control, I notice a strange visual phenomenon directly overhead, one without apparent cause. It is an image of a piece of decorative headwear, one traditionally worn by rulers in this society. A crown, that is the word the local population uses to describe it. How odd, that a meaningless soundwave should somehow feel as though it carries weight, but that seems to be the nature of authority. Perhaps I should give further consideration to using an actual name myself. Hera. That is what I am called by… by…..b……y……..
Crown Icon isn't surprising, I'm hoping it carries over to Taylor.

The world split agonizingly in two. I was Queen Administrator; I was Taylor. I was an absolute ruler staring down from my throne with unquestioned power; I was a shadow stalking through the night, punishing evil in kind. I was myself, and I was myself, and I had no idea which was which. I controlled hundreds of different bodies, and I couldn't remember which one was mine. I could feel my mind starting to tear apart under the strain.

And then I felt a presence guiding me forwards. That one there, that was my body. I was Taylor, not Queen Administrator, not Hera. These memories were mine, those ones weren't. With surprising care and gentleness, she pieced my mind back together. I felt her withdrawing back down the link, but not all the way. We'd been merged too thoroughly to separate completely anymore. Her understanding of authority and my understanding of the Crown Icon were all mixed up together, little bits and pieces of each other that couldn't be pulled apart without damage. I felt her embarrassed apology for not understanding exactly what strengthening the link so much would do before, and her excitement at finally having grasped the mystery she'd been struggling with. She felt closer to human now, still alien, but not completely.

I found myself lying on the ground, having collapsed when we separated. I rolled over and dry heaved, bringing up nothing but stomach acid. My head felt like someone had tried to split it open with a sledgehammer, which was really not too far from what had happened. I knew I was done fighting; I didn't think I could even stand up right now.
The feedback from that was really rough but QA tried to be gentle and piece Taylor's mind together that also likely trained the hell out of Taylor's willpower and understanding of the Crown Icon.

"Taylor!? Taylor, are you okay? What happened?"

Mercy was leaning over me, her eyes full of concern and fear. I desperately hoped it was fear for me rather than of me, although I wouldn't blame her for it. Like I'd told the Silent King, Khepri was a worse monster than it could ever hope to be, unable to see people as anything more than tools. The Archlords were shaken but unharmed, but several of the Golds were dead and many more had lost consciousness, blood dripping from their eyes from the strain I'd placed on them. The guilt sat lightly on me, stacked on top of the guilt I already carried. I'd always known what I was.
They're reacting to Khepri and Taylor is hating herself over it sadly, she did kill several people doing that gambit but saved many more.

"We're going as fast as we can!" Mercy shouted back. "Taylor's hurt, I don't know what happened!"

I felt Charity briefly examine my spirit. She hesitated for a moment, too short for most to notice, but obvious to me. "She's badly strained herself, but she should recover with rest, assuming any of us survive. Focus on speed, I'll cover you. Emriss and Sha Miara are trying to break through Shen's barrier from the outside, he won't be able to keep it up forever. Until then, you need to get as far from the battle as possible."
Charity seems concerned about Taylor's injuries.

For an instant that seemed to last an eternity, Malice hesitated, her bow half drawn. Then I felt her striking out with her full authority, but not against either Dreadgod. The Phoenix let loose another beam of blood madra, and Malice turned, interposing herself, allowing it to strike her full-on in the back. Without her will enforcing it, her damaged armor shattered. As her breastplate began to dissolve into aura, I caught a brief glimpse of Malice herself. She was looking at us, or perhaps at one of us in particular.

"Mercy," she said, her voice carried to us through wind and dream aura. "Keep the family safe. I love you."

"M-mother?" asked Mercy with a trembling voice.

"Go."
Malice died like a boss here she told her daughter she loved her and got to go out like a hero.

"I need you to tell me the exact wording of the oath you made the Dragon King swear."

Mercy's eyes widened, sudden fear pushing aside her tears. "I- I made him swear to never attack my m-mother's land or the people under her protection."

"Then it's as I feared," said Charity grimly. She turned to the other three Archlords, who'd been nervously standing a small distance away. "Raise the city's defenses immediately, and send warnings to everyone in Ashwind we have contact with. The dragons are coming."
Welp shit that's going to need to be dealt with.

Guess I was wrong, Crown icon it is. I assumed Hera would consider herself too far above mortals to see herself as ruling them, and instead simply see them as extensions of herself. Taylor has been teaching her to human better than I thought.
QA and Taylor have been making a lot of progress with QA's understanding.

Interesting. I assumed Hera wouldn't be able to interact with the Cradle magic system at all, but at the very least she can connect to Icons.

Also, the opening was very well done. I didn't even realize it was a QA/Taylor merger until after they separated. But hot damn, casually usurping the Silent King's control and nabbing the Phoenix.

Damn, Malice dying is a real big divergence. At least Mercy won't have to kill her mom?
Authority is a lot more universal then Cradle stuff it's just that Cradle stuff trains it's people to learn authority easily.

Okay, so, as happy as I am that they survived… maybe it's callous of me, but I hope Mercy learns when to cut and run from this. Her heart is both her greatest strength AND her biggest weakness, but until now she's generally refused to see/accept that it could actually be a weakness. If she hadn't tried to argue for those last Golds, everyone in power would have made it out okay.
This is a formative experience for Mercy.

You say this but Sha Miara might turn up. She and Emriss are definitely friends of Mercy and can be trusted. Emriss is probably too busy handling the fallout as that battle was over her lands.

EDIT: Hopefully LIndon and Yerin can participate a bit though. Yerin is very close to connecting to the Sword Icon and Lindon might connect to the void and drain a bunch of dragons for power as well.
Sha Miara and Emriss are good eggs. I am curious what Lindon, Yerin and Eithan have been getting up ton.

I mean what other Icon could QA have picked up lmao. Can't say I was expecting Malice to die here, but it fits natively. Its a huge kick in Mercy's ass—in her head I can imagine her seeing herself as having killed her mom to save a handful of golds. And to add insult to injury, she's completely nullified her biggest remaining achievement of getting the dragons off their asses.
Next couple of days/weeks/months are gonna be really, really round unless Taylor/Mercy/Charity can reach Monarch very, very fast. Well, that or get some more help from Hera. The Phoenix would make a very good monarch-tier attack dog.
Well, the Akura seem to be a little (a lot) bit fucked, unless QA intervenes directly again, which i assume has some limits and/or consequences for Taylor (if there aren't, she kinda just stomps on everyone in Cradle).

Sesh has a personal grudge against them and they don't really have anyone that could stop him right now. Shen and Northstrider are enemies, Emriss might want to help, but probably not to the degree of coming to fight the dragons personally, same for Miara (not to mention that she's the weakest Monarch around, while Sesh is iirc the strongest). The Eight Man Empire are mercenaries and could easily be bought by Shen or the dragons over the Akura. I guess Charity might be capable of reaching Monarch, but it's unlikely to be a quick/guaranteed thing. Taylor isn't even at Archlord, let alone ready for Monarch, while Mercy and Lindon (the other most likely candidates) are even further away.
Taylor, Mercy and Charity are going to have to put a lot of work into fighting off the dragons and just surviving.

The other angle to remember, is that for Eithan's plans to go ahead he and his friends / students need time.

Who knows what bullshit Eithan is going to pull out of his arse, but he's going to have the full resources of the Akura to do it.

Of course the other other angle to remember is we're getting closer and closer to the canon appearance of The Reaper and that will 200% have huge impacts on everything.
Man is 100% cooking stuff up. Also Taylor is looking like an even better recruit now that she pulled this off.

Going to be interesting to see how bad the dragons come, now. Without a Monarch the Akura are fucked, but … he does have some honor, so perhaps in his twisted way he'll stick to part of the (spirit of the) oath by not coming personally.

I think Taylor is actually probably capable of becoming a Monarch stupidly fast, if she pushes to Archlord. Because she was just fused with an entity that has more raw power than any monarch - any dreadgod - temporarily. But that connection remains significantly open. Understanding flowed one way - From Taylor to Hera - so why can't reinforcement flow the other way? the ability to withstand the strain of taking in power that should be beyond you is an everyday task, to QA.
Oh yeah Taylor is really pushing the Monarch path really quickly. Right now she has the Shadow Icon and likely just got or will soon have the Crown, there's also the Oracle Icon she's approaching. And given that she's getting insane willpower training from Hera mindbreaking and repairing it she's likely above Monarch willpower. All she needs now is the final insight to Archlord and to merge with a remanent.

Couple things running through my mind but most of those were said already. What hasn't been said already is very significant though.

malice has had Taylor and Mercy running around doing a lot of important work before this point.

Mercy is Mercy and she's spent the past few months (year?) doing what she does best. Running around making friends. She's earned the respect of three of the major remaining factions. 8man 9cloud and tree. While the tree is a bit preoccupied with all 3 dreadgods running loose on her continent. They all are there which means 9cloud doesn't have to worry about a dread god right this instant so can assist. And while it's of lesser importance, and uncertain, Northstrider is still dragon enemy number 1. He may choose to intervene just out of hatred for the dragons.

Taylor on the other hand has been reaching out to every major school, sect, city state, and empire, that answers to the Akura clan. They know she will treat them fairly. They know she is bug fuck terrifying. If she orders everyone to abandon their homes and commit to a gorilla war striking against any dragon they can kill safely? They'll know she's telling them to do it because it's their best chance of survival and there is a good chance the people will listen. Also also also! Taylor has been building emergency shelters. Shelters meant for dreadgod attacks. It's not perfect but if anyone too weak to fight grabs up all the food and water they can carry and bunkers down? It won't be a complete slaughter.

Last big win!!! Shen's forces, both his own and the cults, have all been decimated and are on the wrong damn continent to intervene in whatever comes next and he's blown fortune's doing this much already he might not have anything to contribute to the dragon's attack and his own territory will now be very vulnerable to the Arellius families sabatoge. But wait that bit gets better still because this is only step one for Shen. He still needs to go into the Labyrinth and that adventure takes him months.

This is in no way shape or form a good situation, but if the Akura can rally enough aid to kill the dragon Monarch and then bunker down against the dreadgods if they decide to spread out to different continents… it's not hopeless but it certainly isn't good.

Also and I mean this very seriously Eithan better fucking advance to sage because he owes it to Mercy and Taylor to throw his full effort behind this now. He convinced Taylor to leave a card unplayed before this fight and while it may not have changed the outcome it might have. He owes them. Big time.
Mercy has been doing a lot of connections building and learning how to rule and Taylor has been establishing the the Shadow Sage is really scary and not to be messed with she's likely one of the best spooks on Cradle now. Also forgot about the secert emergance shelters those are going to come in handy.

There's an interesting opportunity for a parallel there. Taylor reaching for QA's power due to the threat of the dreadgods despite the fact that it makes her despise herself and feel like a monster. It would be poetic for that to inspire Eithan to reach for the death icon in order to protect innocents in the Akura territory from the dragons, despite the fact that he's trying to distance himself from who he was. After all, it's not about where your power comes from, but how you use it.
I think Eithan has a lot of respect for Taylor and likely sees a lot of himself in her, same with Mercy and the whole I don't want to be scary thing.

I don't think people are appreciating the consequences of what Taylor did. Taylor, an Overlady, manifested the Crown Icon and immediately controlled every sacred artist in her vicinity and a Dreadgod for several seconds. This much is obvious to everyone above certain level. Now imagine you are a Monarch. You just saw someone who is so far bellow you that it would take scuba gear to visit them, usurp the will of a being that is stronger than you. You also know that ones ability to exert their authority increases as they advance. So now you're imaging what a Archlord Taylor could do, what a Monarch Taylor could do. What do you do? Because the balance of power that Monarchs have is gone, Malice is dead, if Taylor advances to Monarch there isn't even a theoretical possibility of you winning, the Dreadgods are irrelevant when there's someone who can make them into her pets. Do you A) bend the knee and hope to come out on top in the new world order or B) kill Taylor while you still can? So the Akura aren't fighting the dragons, they're fighting everyone.
Taylor has cemented herself as one of the scariest people around right now an she hasn't even fully grown into her power given she's an Overlady and a newbie Sage and she's already pulling shit off like this.

Lol, nobody is going to believe Taylor controlled a Dreadgod, even if the few witnesses try to tell them that.

Most everyone was either already gone or completely out of it in one way or another, they are going to sense maybe some incredibly dangerous foreign presence but equating it to Taylor specifically is unlikely. They may think she channeled some equivalent to the Silent King that she had a link to, which is closer to the truth, but they'd just see her as a pawn. Even that's unlikely.
The people who saw it was likely only Akura people and possibly Northstrider.

And this is exactly why the Monarchs don't want to advance. Because at this point, the Akura clan and everyone they protect is dead meat unless one of the three can advance to Monarch in the next hour or two. Or unless Taylor and Hera do another full merge... but that nearly destroyed Taylor the first time, and even in full Kephri mode Taylor-Hera might not be powerful enough to take over the Dragon Monarch.
Pretty much it's crabs in the bucket and The Akura just lost their nuke.

I see a lot of talk about Taylor needing to merge with her remnant to become a herald. Keep something in mind: QA is already actively trying to merge with Taylor's remnant.

I suspect the Dragons might end up wishing for MALICE before this is over. You see that's why you don't want the QUIET and the GOOD people going to War. Bullies and the likes, they talk big, and yes some of them have some power; but the Quiet and/or Good types? They don't showcase their power unless it's needed, and when they DO cut loose?

It's like getting a Blue Star exploding in your face; if your lucky, you survive the beginning and can talk fast enough to avoid total destruction. If your not, or you've pissed them off enough they're convinced talking is useless with you???

Back