Metroid: Decay

Bah! Everyone who played Metroid 2: return of Samus know that the queen will simply sit in a difficult to reach place for all the time without doing nothing. It is the Omega metroid who rampage around killling things!
Omega keeps telling the Queen to do some Pilates or something, but the Queen just mumbles something about doing it tomorrow.

Question: besides Samus, do any of the GF people with her have much of an idea of how dangerous a Metroid is? If so, which ones?

Also looking forward to when Samus discovers that Phantoon is also around the station. Perhaps a combination of "oh shit" and "WHY DOESN'T ANYTHING I KILL STAY DEAAAAAAAD?!!!"

Question: besides Samus, do any of the GF people with her have much of an idea of how dangerous a Metroid is? If so, which ones?

Nnnope. Good news, though. GF soldiers have ice beam pistols. Though they don't have rockets.

Also looking forward to when Samus discovers that Phantoon is also around the station. Perhaps a combination of "oh shit" and "WHY DOESN'T ANYTHING I KILL STAY DEAAAAAAAD?!!!"
What is dead cannot die; it returns, harder and stronger.

Actually, Team Ninja liked the Prime trilogy. Sakamoto, batshit insane obsessive control freak that he is, did not.

Team Ninja talked about the Prime trilogy fondly, back in the good old days of Metroid when the developers actually had the freedom to make a good game rather than be hounded by a goddamn madman at every turn.

Actually, Team Ninja liked the Prime trilogy. Sakamoto, batshit insane obsessive control freak that he is, did not.

Team Ninja talked about the Prime trilogy fondly, back in the good old days of Metroid when the developers actually had the freedom to make a good game rather than be hounded by a goddamn madman at every turn.
Yeah, Sakamoto, as established previously, is why everything in Other M is as bad as it is.

The shitty eight-directional controls, the godawful writing and story, the blatant fucking-

Okay gotta stop before I start making a two-thousand word rant on why Other M is an aborted atrocity.

I actually liked that you didn't have to hunt weapon refills. Beyond that the game wasn't that memorable for me. I kinda wish Samus would have taken a little initiative on unlocking the defensive upgrades though.

Speaking of other m, just how did Anthony survive? I mean yes he shot that lava monster with the ice gun and grabbed on to it, but he was still stuck in the middle of a lava lake, had no Varia Suit, the lava monster was going to thaw, and even if he did keep refreezing it, it would eventually die from the repeated ice shots. So how the hell did Anthony get out of there?

Speaking of other m, just how did Anthony survive? I mean yes he shot that lava monster with the ice gun and grabbed on to it, but he was still stuck in the middle of a lava lake, had no Varia Suit, the lava monster was going to thaw, and even if he did keep refreezing it, it would eventually die from the repeated ice shots. So how the hell did Anthony get out of there?
Maybe he shot everything with the ice gun and made it cold enough that he could actually live long enough to get out?

That's, like, scratching the surface about the utterly nonsensical plot of Other M. Anthony's survival isn't even in the top 20 of plot holes for the game.

But on a station full of monsters where there don't seem to be any survivors whatsoever, the notion that Samus would even consider taking orders from a GF officer is so downright absurd that it makes me laugh. I mean, Samus is THE expert on situations like this one. She's also so invaluable to the GF's security just by herself that she could probably kill Adam's entire squad and get nothing more than a slap on the wrist for it. Which makes sense--who would actually stop her? Michael McDoesn'tExist?

The fact that Adam shoots her in the back, in the presence of fucking metroids, no less, and gives no explanation as to why the hell he did it when asked, just goes to show that Samus would actually have been better off shooting him first to avoid the trouble.

The reason he shot her in the back was so she would be too weak to stop Adam from stupidly sacrificing himself.

I have a bigger question: Just how did Samus go down in a single shot?

Prime Samus would have listened to the Federation officer's orders and wouldn't have shot them-But because she's a professional with a well-earned reputation for competence, not because she's a doormat. I don't think we'd have seen Prime Samus actively committing suicide because Daddy wasn't there to tell her not to. :facepalm:

@crankers
Bullshit and Space Magic. Oh, and some nonsense about her suit being a Green Lantern Ring rather than a Power Suit.

Last edited:
Samus went down because her suit was in flux when he fired. Other M makes a pretty big plot point of her suit being a second skin that is only as powerful as her focus (Something that came up in the original comic that was in Nintendo Power, something like her getting skewered by a spike trap shortly after landing on Zebes and only getting back to her ship because she had a partner on her first attempt.). The less she focused she is on her mission or the fight the less protection her suit offers, even at times fading out completely when her mind is lost in her memories.

Except that it's completely inconsistent with practically every other depiction- that may have been the intent, but it wasn't what was depicted.

Basically, Sakamoto effectively created a titanic plot hole for Metroid: Fusion. Because if the power suit is as strong as the will behind it and outright disappear if there is no will then the Sa-X couldn't have existed, given that it was born from pieces of the Samus's suit surgically removed because she was unconsious and dying and thus couldn't deactivate it.

I think what really dragged the development down was the departure from the way things used to be done at Nintendo: First you make a game that is fun to play and works with the tools you have on hand, then you think up the story behind it. Here, Team Ninja developed the game but had to reconcile it with the story Sakamoto thought up. In bringing both of these together, the result turned out to be less than the sum of its parts as we get game elements that make sense in the context of a Metroid game - explore to level up - but ruin the story. On the other hand, we get story elements that disturb the flow of the game. Like those Find Waldo moments where you don't even know what Waldo is supposed to look like. Those were a pain in the neck.

The suit also has biological components. It links into her nervous system, after all. While the suit has defensive shielding it wouldn't be enough to stop the X...presumably why the Chozo had to make the Metriods in the first place. The X were too good at bypassing their defenses.

Presumably, the X were keeping the suit active while they were inside Samus. The suit's not infallible.

Although we really should take this to a different thread. This is a story thread after all.

Last edited:
The suit also has biological components. It links into her nervous system, after all. While the suit has defensive shielding it wouldn't be enough to stop the X...presumably why the Chozo had to make the Metriods in the first place. The X were too good at bypassing their defenses.

Presumably, the X were keeping the suit active while they were inside Samus. The suit's not infallible.

Although we really should take this to a different thread. This is a story thread after all.
It's still retarded.

And please do.

Holy shit, I was just debating with myself on whether or not to check this thread right now...and this post shows up a moment before. The odds...

Back