Magical Girl Home Base Quest

Magical Girl Home Base Description
Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Magical girls are massively empowering people who spark hope, push back the dark, and defeat fear for others. The problem is, to do this they are soldiers. They go out, they fight, see horrors of war, and then they come home back to the World and then it's like nothing happens. There's no recognition. A bit of tin and a scrap of ribbon, a recognition of what they do, anything to help them hold onto their humanity under the pressures of their enviroment is what they need, but by the curse of their service being in secret, they can't get it. Magical girls are above all else, human. It is this humanity that lets them inspire hope, and it is this humanity that forces them to run away, seek shelter and like-minded people, to try and survive together against this darkness.

And then they fail, because they are soldiers. Their lives are blood and tears and destruction. The homes they crave, the communities they need- to build them, they would need to beat their swords into plowshares. Against the unending tide of threats, the weekly monsters and yearly threats to vast swathes of the world? That is a luxurious end that does not compute to the grognards. The institution and traditions of the Magical Girls themselves cannot comprehend it.

Enter the outsider, enter [you]. [You] cannot fight, being too crippled to hold a weapon against the tide, but you can still help, aid, assist. Because [you] never took up arms, there is a latitude to [your] thought, to [your] actions, and with that to [your] effects. Rare is the Magical Girl who understands more than what rituals and sorcery it takes to maintain her equipment, stealing from the remains of her enemies to cover the costs of life alone after her old home failed her. What [you] can do will make waves, instill courage, bring forth the hope that the Magical Girls have needed. Living memory is short, and heroes cannot live forever in the hearts of men without bards to pass the tale on. But, for a structure of hope, an arsenal of dreams, and a light at the hilt of the Sword of Mars?

That could be enough to change the world.
Last edited:
Getting the Motel, Week 0

Trust and verify.
You learned about magic when you were eight years old. It was a balmy afternoon, just after the Fourth of July, and you were with your cousins shooting off fireworks in the park. That wasn't the magic, though. Magic was in the eyes of a older girl, a teenager, who marveled at you as you lit a firework shell with one hand, before gracefully throwing it down a gas pipe mortar to send it soaring into the air. Coming out of the bushes, she smiled at you.

"Hello." She said, simply. "Can you see me?"

You, a wee lad, smiled. "Of course I can see you! Are you a-fixing to steal my fireworks or something?"

"No, no!" she said quickly. "I just was wondering if you could fix something for me?"

You shrugged. "Well, lemme see it."

Holding out a dark, cracked pendant to you, the girl sat down by your mortar tube. "It's nearly broken… I can't hold out for much longer."

As you took it, the pendant felt hot, damaged. When Cousin Miro got his dumb self bit by a mountain lion and the wound got infected, it felt just like this. Hissing, you glared at the baubble, before digging around for your reading glasses case. This had some strong hoodoo in it, for damn sure.

"What'chu do to this poor thing?" you asked, trying to see what-all had cracked it so badly. "Thing's hold itself together with a string an' some spit!"

"I made a mistake." She said, sighing. "I just thought… you seemed like an artesian…"

"I don't need to be no arty-thing to know this done been screwed." You muttered. "I tell you what, I'll do what I can to keep it from cracking. Cleaning it out's not gonna be easy, though. Feels infected."

"Infected?"

"Yeah, like when your arm gets all red and swollen 'cause you hit a chunk of rusty metal?" you said, waving a hand around while digging in your backpack for some Bondo and a paperclip. "Gotta find a way to scrape that out or all the help in the world won't sister this back together."

The girl nodded, and you got to work. Working the paperclip around the cracked glass in the center of the pendant, you carefully squirted the Bondo into the cracks and squished it up tight. No matter how you tried to arrange it, though, it kept trying to fall apart. Finally, biting out a curse, you started muttering under your breath. Great-Grandpa had taught you this, back when his dad had been involved in the War, and it was for remembering all the people who'd come before.

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow/ between the crosses, row on row," you muttered, the song helping calm you down as the damn gem finally, finally caught in the apoxy and you could tension the wire support. It was a good feeling.

"Did you-" the girl said, before you cut her off.

"I started doing the work." You grumbled, the last lines of the poem trailing off your lips. "Gonna need about a half hour to set while you figure out how to clean it up later."

"Kenaz!" you heard from the distance. "Why'd you stop shooting?"

Crap, it was your cousins! You had to keep them off you! "Missfire!" you yelled back. "I haven't cleared it yet!"

"Need the spare tube?"

"I'm good!"

The girl sighed, smiling. "Thanks."

"Just watch the rest of the fireworks I shoot today, and it'll be worth it." You replied. She nodded, and you went back to lighting up the sky. When she left, the cancer in her pendant was less, and you smiled. A good deed today had been done.

///

Of course, magic came at a price. Dad started drinking after you blew off three fingers in an accident. Mom's paranoia acted up until she stabbed Dad in the shower with a toilet knife. Your cousins had to go back to Japan. The car blew up, the state stepped in, and you took one look at the old bat they decided would be your 'temporary foster parent' and left.

You were thirteen, and it was two hungry weeks before you were desperate. Despite the insuitions of several fantastic creatures, you were not a girl who had been born in the wrong body, and even if you were, offers came with a price. The white one had been the worst, offering you a wish to become a magical girl. You knew, though, that everything had a cost. A wish would be pretty damn expensive. Still, you'd stumbled your way through the city, until one cold night you found yourself sharing a barrel fire with a hobo and a can of beans.

"How's it looking, kid?" he asked openly, your heads nearly touching as the rancid smoke poured over you.

"Pretty shit." You replied, shrugging. "Too many empty dumpsters."

He didn't ask if you hit up the soup kitchen. You'd run away from home, they'd report you, then the State would have you by the balls. Fuck that noise.

The hobo sighed, turning his head back and forth. "You ever seen shit in this world that don't work right, have you?"

Shrugging, you nodded. "Yeah."

"Shit that no science can explain?"

You chuckled. "Think I held an infected heart in my hands once."

The hobo grinned, showing a smile with more holes than teeth. "Think you can do it again?"

"I ain't got shit to work with."

"I ain't asking you to work shit. Just come with me."

Following the hobo, you both ditched the barrel fire and started moving into the back of the city. Passing a Wal-Mart lot by the highway, the smell of old booze bottles and piss flew past your nose as you got to the culvert for the off-ramp. Banging on the edge, the hobo yelled.

"Trissa? Girl, you in there?"

"Go'way." A young female voice came, before a dismal spark came out of the tunnel. It was weak, futzy. "They'll kill me, now that I'm out of juju."

"Girl, I done told you there's a hell of a lot more to do before you jump the last rattler." The hobo said. "Now shut up and let me bring in the medicine kid in here."

"Medicine kid?" you muttered.

"You done never gave me a name." he replied. "I'm Goodyear, by the way."

Shaking his hand and sighing, you slipped into the culvert with your hands in front of you. The girl was dressed in ratty robes, holding a badly-mangled rod the length of your arm halfway between a wand and a staff. It seemed dull, broken down, missing chips and chunks and splinters, while at one point it was nearly broken in half.

"Can I see it?" you asked, holding up a hand. As she gave it to you, the stick buzzed in your hand. It was once great. Monsters had been slain, witches and demons sent back to the hells they belonged. Passed down for four generations of magical girl, it had died in service to stop the last blow of a great horror from beyond the knowledge of mortal ken.

"Can you fix it?" Trissa asked.

Feeling it carefully, you winced. "If you have twenty bucks and a week, sure. Otherwise, no."

"Fuck." She muttered. "I need something, anything to fight with. Tonight."

Feeling the shaft, you came to a decision The poor rod was nearly dead… but that wouldn't stop you from doing your best. "I can whip something up. Won't hold together for long, but it'll make it to next midnight."

"Do it."

Cracking your knuckles, you took the ruined weapon out to the parking log, and growled. You needed tools, damn it. Supplies. Something. Looking at Trissa, you groaned. "I need cash."

"I have ten dollars and three dimes."

"Gimme the dimes." You said seriously, laying them out in an equidistant triangle on the Wal-Mart parking lot. "Goodyear, I need a bottle of cheap booze, Elmers glue, a shaker-can of paint, and a cardboard box. Trissa, get me a few unbroken beer bottles from the ditch, and fill 'em up with water."

The magical girl and the hobo both sprung to action as you started thinking and whistling. This was going to be a fuck-fuck of a job all right, and not the good kind. Trissa got back fairly quickly, though, and you sighed. Time to get to work.

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me!" you sung, feeling the rod below you start to shiver. "What once was lost, was now am found, was blind, but now I see!"

Washing it down, you felt the hands of the past on it. Three pieces of wand, when you were done. Well enough. Finishing the wash, you slammed a beer bottle into the concrete, shattering the Corona label and sending glass everywhere as you sawed the rod apart at the damaged. Even as you cut your hands in the work, you knew the blood would make a powerful part of it. Still singing, you cleaned the work as best you could with glass tools as Goodyear came back with the booze. It was a 500 of cheapass Canadian whiskey, and it would work well enough as you cracked the cap off and poured it out in a circle. The paint made a triangle around it, and pouring the glue across the greatest piece of the rod allowed you to join it to a clean and empty bottle. Whiskey filled the rest of the beer container, and spit, glass shards, and paint sealed it as best you could.

The second greatest shard, you took the cardboard box and started shredding to it's component papers, painting and purifying with the booze all the while. Finger-crochet made it into a chain, and soon enough the rod-piece was ensconced in cardboard, paint, glass, and blood. It would need to dry, before it could pretend to work; and it would have two or three uses before the chain snapped and it was back to a hellish normal.

The last of the rod of power, you pulled apart into fiber strands, pushing into the whiskey bottle before you painted it white and glued dirt to the front in a large X. You were ten verses through Amazing Grace, with only three more to go when you finally finished.

"I'm done." You hissed, hands bloody and throat sore.

"It looks like shit." Trissa muttered.

"It'll work." You replied, picking up the beer-ended mace. "Napalm rod, now. Not horribly powerful, but it'll put flames where you need them, and won't burn you. Friends, I don't know."

"And the rest?"

"Protection amulet. No curse or hex can touch you until it breaks, but claws and teeth certainly will. I was trying for the reverse, but it wasn't happening. The bottle is a bomb. Light the fuse with the mace, and it'll blast out fire that'll heal you and hurt them. Save it for an emergency, it only works once."

"Got it." Trissa said. "You can crash in my culvert."

You really didn't remember much after that. Probably because of the blood loss.

///

When you woke up again, the culvert was bare of mysterious hobos named after blimps, and Trissa was staring at you in wonder. "It worked." She muttered. "It really worked."

"Great, well." You muttered. "Got any food?"

"Medicine Boy, I got me nearly a thousand dollars in payout from the hunt last night, and you saved my ass! Of course I'll cover breakfast!"

Ten minutes later we were in a McDonalds, you had a plate of America's perfered form of national suicide in front of me, and Trissa was looking like you were now a cross between her favorite teddy bear and something they'd probably try and teach you about in a few years involving babies. Christ, it was too early for this shit.

"As nice as breakfast is," you muttered past the pancakes and sausage you were stuffing yourself on "I need a permanent income stream. And a house."

"You say that like I was going to drag you along like a personal toy!"

You stared the most venomous stare you could, and Trissa wilted.

"Okay, okay. You need a set of digs, I get it. If you hold still, then I can still come to you for gear. We can do this." Trissa said. "Any opinion on previous tennents of a building?"

"Not really." You said, before getting to work finishing breakfast.

Ten minutes later, you regretted that horribly as Trissa showed you an abandoned motel building. It smelled like shit, has trees growing in the parking lot cracks, and you were honestly not sure why it hadn't been bulldozed as blight years ago.

"So we killed the shit out of the witches coven here last night, and there hasn't been a poltiergiest infection in the last… three years? Thereabouts." She said, gibbering in happiness. "Totally abandoned, and most of the infrastructure is still intact! Just have to turn some valves and flick some breakers, and the parts of the building that are still in good repair will come right to life!"

Sighing, you nodded, and set to work.

///

A week of hard work, and lots of tinned food later, and you had the old shitshow of a motel ready for business. There was the canteen, your shop off the front desk (you'd need a new place for it once you had wares), your room, and most importantly, your workshop.

Please don't mind the lack of progress there. Either way, it's time to get this ball rolling!

/-/-/-
Votes

WHO ARE YOU?
[]: Just a kid, who's mad at the world that took his parents away from him for no good reason.
[]: An artesian, always seeking to make better, create the one true work of art, the magnum opus from whence you could say "it is done" and be satisfied in life.
[]: Someone who knows this is your city, right or wrong. If right, to celebrate; if wrong, then to set right. Now.

WHAT IS YOUR FOCUS?
[] Wands. Magical Girls need firepower, and you can deliver in spades. Allows you to build T3 Wands
[] Trinkets. Transforming and accessing mana is hard for Magical Girls, but you can make the tools to fix that. Allows T3 Trinkets
[] Costumes. Magical Girls need to look bitching, and perception is power. Allows you to make T3 Costumes
[] Bombs. When you absolutely, positively, need a get out of hell free card. Allows you to build T3 Bombs

WHAT IS YOUR BEST FACILITY?
[] The Commissary. You cook, and you cook well. This in turn brings in more transient Magical Girls, and keeps them safer. Increases Magical Girl visitor count by +1 per level, and adds +1 to health of all Magical Girls in area.
[] Lodging. Let's face it, a lot of Magical Girls are homeless. A roof over their head, even one that leaks and has rattling pipes, is a good roof to them. You start with 2 rooms available for lodging Magical Girls in.
[] Merchandise. You're a good tool-maker, and your equipment lasts longer before it breaks down. All products you sell last for an additional 72 hours per Tier of item, and Bombs are automatically doubled.
[] Shop. Magical Girls end up gathering hundreds, thousands, and millions of pieces of magical junk. Adds 1/3 of the Magical Girl's purchase power as a random resource on purchase of items.

Last edited:
Infopost
WHAT IS THIS

A quest about making sure magical girls exist in a world closer to PreCure than Puela Magica Madoka through you being willing to work your ass off and make sure there's somewhere for them to come home to.

WHAT DO WE DO

We build a motherfucking base, that's what we do.

WHAT ARE TRINKETS?

They're the heart and soul of Magical Girls. Powerful magic, transformations, teamwork attacks, all of that ties to a Trinket. Soul Gems, the Lunar Tiara, Raising Heart- all classic examples of Trinkets.

WHAT ARE WANDS?

The sword and shield of Magical Girls, used for casting magic offensively and defensively. Without this, a Magical Girl is toothless, and can't really go out to get her daily bread.

WHAT ARE COSTUMES?

Costumes are more than just what a Magical Girl wears; they're also a disguise, an armor, and often-times a tool belt of tricks in their own right. From sailor suits to battle ballgowns, these magical garments protect their wearer from harm as the last line of defense before monsters.

WHAT ARE BOMBS?

Bombs are a Magical Girl's last, best hope at getting out of a bad situation. From defusing bullet hells, to reviving or resurecting allies, to serving as a catch-all hammer to finish off a particularly dark evil; bombs are the catch-all item to handle the issue.

OH GOD THERE'S MATH

And I will even write down equations for y'all.
  • Wound Recover Time equals Severity of Injury plus Number of Previous Injuries plus Seven Days. All injury times round up to the nearest week.
  • Item Time until Replacement (by crafting) equals Item Quality times Crafting Roll times the product of Skill Level and Workshop Quality.
All equations are also available in The Spreadsheet.

ARE THERE BACK COPIES OF THE SPREADSHEET

No. The Spreadsheet is the Once and Future King, and is always up to date in back story posts due to the magic of XenoForo 2 Google Sheets Integrations.

IS THE SPREADSHEET EVER WRONG

Yes. Frequently within 48 hours of an update there may be a Glitch in the Spreadsheet in which case The Spreadsheet is not fully up to date yet. This will be rectified if you ping me with the nature of the Glitch in the Spreadsheet. After I manually repair it, The Spreadsheet will be correct now and forever, as it is the Once and Future King.

WHAT ARE THE RESOURCES?

There are six resources, as follows.
  • Mundanes: Normal things, like food, money, and other goods you can acquire on the civil market. These automatically get sold for food to pay for upkeep, or are food and eaten by the Commissary
  • Gubbins: Esoteric mechanical and electrical parts dedicated to building things. Your average computer has at least two Gubbins worth of stuff under the hood, and frequently get used to make things smarter.
  • Spooky Stuff: Trans-dimensional supplies that can be counted on for their ability to warp reality and call on forces from beyond mortal ken. Best handled with care, and a loaded shotgun in case a Slenderman or something tries to steal them back.
  • Witchy Stuff: Esoteric tools and materials needed for occult rituals and acts of magic of both constructive and useful purposes. Eye of Newt and Hen's Teeth are solid examples, and these are taken from the lairs of dead Witches who have inevitably over-reached their powers and been transformed by their dark work.
  • Demon Stuff: Blasphemous and unholy materials cultivated and designed to ensure the maximum suffering and cruelty for the hellspawn rituals they were used to control and derived from. In most cases, these items being consumed doesn't add tags to the item they're consumed on, but rather makes it more effective against that target.
  • Holy Stuff: Materials blessed by the powers of religion, faith, and hope themselves, designed by purpose to drive back the dark and bring forth the light. Tools made from this are some of the most powerful for their tier, but are also often the most tempermental, thought to have minds of their own at times.
  • Misc: The detrious of life as a craftsmen- half finished projects, broken tools and weapons, old McDonalds wrappers, and the assorted junk in your shop you can canabalize in an emergency to get the job done. Work completed with this does not smell perpetually of Big Macs, and do not belive any Magical Girl who tells you this.
OH GOD WE'RE OUT OF MONEY FOR UPKEEP

Random goods can be sold at a 1:1 per week ratio to become Mundanes for purposes of upkeep. Should you run out of Upkeep, facilities will become inactive until you can resume full upkeep payments.

HOW DO SKILLS WORK?

You have four real skills, which are not notorized in The Spreadsheet. These are your skills at making Wands, Trinkets, Costumes, and Bombs. Each skill is separately handled, and advances at it's own rate. While you do not need a skill level to build an item normally, if your workshop is not properly equipped for that item (see Tools on spreadsheet) then you do require Skill equal to the tier of item you're trying to create. Skills normally advance after you research something in the field of which you want to advance, or are given the opportunity to craft a Masterwork Object in that field upon which a success will advance your Skill.

PLAN VOTES?

No, I do not count Plan Votes. Votes are By Category Only. At most, you'll have two vote categories, so don't worry about complex votes. Voting for [Username] is fine, though.

Last edited:
Week 1: Your greatest advertisement point is a shower.

At the end of the day, you were just a kid with seven fingers and a hatred of the system of the world that stole your family from you. It didn't teach you much, and as you scrounged around in the knocked-together commissary that took up two rooms, you at least figured it would teach you the basics of cooking.

The three burned vegetarian hamburgers on a plate and one half-raw one didn't inspire you to believe that was true. Grabbing a loaf of Bimbo, you just groaned and went out to the 'seating area' with a stolen park bench in it with a park table next to it. Trissa was sitting there, looking if not despondent at your lodgings, then at least mildly annoyed the furniture was scavenged and the new paint on the walls came from a shaker can.

"Bon chance" you muttered, putting down the food and sighing. "I need to learn how to cook."

"Better than mine." Trissa said, sighing. "So, so much better than mine."

Your eye twitched. "Speaking of your things, when are you coughing up rent?" you asked pointedly. "I gotta make a grocery run tonight."

"I'll cough up rent when you get me a working toilet." Trissa replied.

"You'll get a toilet when I get cash to buy groceries." You replied. "Now either I get the c-note or you get a fresh supply of plastic bags."

Pulling out a fat wad of cash, Trissa called you a lying sack of Thracian shit and slapped five twenties down on the card table. Smiling, you scooped them up, held them up to the light, and returned the favor by calling her a horse-fucking daughter of a Mongol shit-sweeper.

"American dollars!" you yelled. "The fuck am I going to do with a hundred lira?"

"Bitch you get what I get!"

Staring at each other, you almost missed the rattle of a can full of brads you'd set up on the front door to serve as an alarm. Running out of the mess, you got to the front door and grinned. Customer! Score!

"Hello, welcome to the Lodge-" You said, coming around the corner before a wave of stench came screaming in off the two girls that walked in. Covered in mud and green ichor, it was like getting punched in the face by a particularly bloodthirsty Isuzu behind on it's heroic quota for the quarter.

"Hey." One of them said, trying not to get the goop in her mud. "We heard you had a shower?"

"Yeah." You said, trying not to puke. "It's in the back. Follow me."

"Got a lundry?" the other asked.

"I got buckets and a washboard."

"Good enough."

As you lead the two magical girls to the back yard, you could practically hear the squirting, horrifying trail of filth they'd tracked through your building. Oh, god, you were going to need to mop it all up, and you didn't even own a mop yet! Thankfully, you were serious about the showers, even if it only was open-air tarps and the hot water came from a tank that you needed to stoke a fire under.

"Fair warning, it takes some time to get the hot water going." You warned. "Gotta heat the tank up."

"I'd take a hose and a can of Cyklon at this rate." The first magical girl muttered. "At least that would let us deal with the damn alchemists."

"Alchemists?" you asked, before hooking the door closed to the shower and going over to shovel some paper waste into the firebox of your shitty water heater.

"Yeah, alchemists. They're doing some serious fuckery." The first magical girl explained. "Creating homonuculi, summoning demons, consorting with devils and witches, raising the dead, tomb raiding, being fucking Nazis… lots of shit."

"And then your present mess…" you trailed off.

"Might have tried to fight a poison type chimera with a hand grenade." The second said. "After I told you not to."

"Shut the fuck up, Trompdoy."

"Only when you stop treating explosives like the solution to every known problem in the world, Eowyn."

As the trash fire heated the water in the bottom up to about one-fifty, you went to the terrible salvaged piping system you'd rigged up. "Right, I'm switching on the heat now." You warned. "Tell me when it's good."

"Alright!"

Right, first step was to open the dump valve to start putting cool water in the heater tank. Second step was to turn the draw on for the heater tank. Third step was, while moving as fast as possible, turn on the pump for the heater tank quick enough so that the showering girls didn't notice. As the wheezy system started going, you grinned. Success! And all for a day of panicking and trial, error, and getting soaked and scalded!

"Can you turn the temperature up more?"

You winced. "No."

"Please?" the girls asked.

"It'll heat up more in a bit, I'm sorry." You explained, moving out to the front to cram in a brown paper bag of leaf litter into the firebox. "Anyway, about your laundry-"

Before you could finish that sentence, a mud-covered maid costume flew over the top and slapped you in the face, before a heavy denim jacket and skirt followed suit. Groaning, you just went inside to get some beach towels and your laundry setup. Pretty soon, you had three five gallon buckets and a bottle of Dawn. Pouring the soap liberally into one, you grabbed a ladle and started pulling from the shower's hot water tank. Soon, it was full enough to get started, and you flipped another bucket to use as your stool while a rubber plunger served as your agitator.

"Got any soap?" the girls asked, prompting you to kick the bottle of dish soap into the enclosure. Once the water was suffiently muddy, you dumped it out in the bushes, drew a fresh lot, and started work again. It took three soap cycles and two rinses to start to breathe some life back into the maid uniform, while the denim took even more to get the crap off of it. Stringing them across an old telephone line to dry, you sighed, before looking at the shower enclosure.

"Y'all done yet?" you asked. "Because I have to stay out here to shut it down."

"Five more minutes?" one- you think it was Eowyn?- asked. "Please?"

"I mean you want lunch?" you replied. "Because I was gonna make a second stab at making lunch."

"We'll take lunch." Both the girls said in unison. Chuckling, you went over to shut off the pump and hose line, before heading in. After your failed vegie burgers, you decided to go with something you did know- hobo soup. Taking a big old pot over the camp stove from in the commissary, you opened up a number ten can of baked beans and dumped the whole thing in, before digging around and grabbing a few cans of Vienna sausage and adding them in wholesale, as well as some tins of chilis to give it some flavor. A number 10 can of water to thin it down, and then a number four can to thicken it back up again, and boom! Hobo soup!

Going over to the sink you'd kludged together, you washed out some of the nice cans you'd taken the time to knock the sharp edges off of, and grab some plastic cutlery too. Nicked if off a Culvers, so it was good stuff. Sticking your head back out into the dining room, you hissed. Two mostly naked girls in your dining room!

"Hey!" you yelled. "Get some clothes on!"

"We don't have spares." The white-haired one, Eowyn, said. "And our stuff is still soaking wet."

You grumbled. Fine. At least they weren't dripping on your floor. "Soup's on in ten." You said, matter-of-fact.

"Great." The other one, with raven-dark hair and piercing blue eyes, said quietly. "Do you do anything other than cook and run a shower?"

"I've got two rooms for rent, and I make magic tools." You replied. "Even if one of 'em has a freeloader in it."

"You make tools?" Trompdoy asked, grinning. "Can you make transformation trinkets?"

"Or bombs?" Eowyn added.

"I can make all of it." You said, grinning.

Reaching behind her friend's back, Eowyn pulled out a giant, glowing lump of moonstone. Seriously, this thing was as big as her head.

"God, I love [Partner Inventory]." Eowyn muttered. "Anyway, how long would this get us rooms for?"

"A month." You said, salivating at the chance to work with that sort of light-touched material. That was so much material there…

"So, you up for it?" Trompdoy asked. "I'm warning you, we stick together."

You nodded. Trissa had long since eaten through her goodwill with you, and hadn't been quick to pay for food either. "The arrangements are mildly primitive." You warned.

"From the way your eyes are lighting up, you take payment in salvage." Trompdoy countered. "And for us, salvage is easier to come by than cash."

Decisions, decisions…

/-/-/-/-/-/-
Votes

Take in Eowyn and Trompdoy?
[] Yes. They're paying up front, and that moonstone is valuable. (+6 Holy Stuff for 4 weeks rent)
[] No. You'd have to evict Trissa (Loose +2 Mundanes reoccurring rent, 50% chance of payment)

Build a Tool
[] Trinket
-[] Write in Level, between 1 and 3.
[] Wand
-[] Write in Level, between 1 and 1.
[] Bomb
[] No, you want to work on your building instead
[] No, you want to improve your workshop instead.
/-/-/-/-/-/-
Notes

Magical Girl Tools are built at a rate of one per turn, and for each level of quality you build require an additional resource to make. A Level 1 item only needs one type, Level 2 needs two types, continuing to Level 7, at which point you must have completed workshop upgrades to reach higher levels of craftsmanship. Alternatively, you can work on the Lodge. The resources picked for Tool Construction will be randomly determined by the GM, with an emphasis on stuff you have lots of.

Note money, food, and other goods avalible on the civil market are Mundanes. The player character can automatically liquidate one random resource per turn to aquire more Mundanes if they run out. Current operation of the Lodge requires 1 Mundane per turn.

Also, you guys got lucky on the Random Magical Girl generator. So, so lucky. Paired MGs are really good.

Week 2: Your coffee can of money may now contain ten thalers and a clipped dubloon

Banging away in one of the side rooms, you glared at the pile of mold-ridden carpet you had to bag up and take to the mall later. Getting a room ready for habitation was hard, since even a half-assed remediation wasn't something to do casually. Strip out the carpet, then throw down a layer of Tyvek as a temporary buffer flooring first, then go in with shaker paint and coat the walls in a double of primer and a top-coat of whatever you could scavenge- today, a burnt orange that sort of looked pumpkin-y. Once that was done, you could put in the tarp walls for the 'bath' consisting of a well-apointed five gallon bucket, a plastic bag, and a box of baking powder mixed with sand as a deodorizer. In-room drinking water was provided by a large drink cooler you scrapped out of the flea market with full of water, and every morning you'd come through with your big old pushcart and swap empty jugs with freshly chlorinated ones that were safe to drink.

In terms of furniture, the room you were building would be pretty spartan. For a bed, you had tactically modified a few pallets and forty feet of rope into a matress, over which went some foam egg carton and a threadbare blanket. You also kicked in a folding chair and table, although none of it was terribly sturdy or clean. The doors didn't lock, most of the rooms still faintly smelled, and thanks to some vandals none of the rooms had a solid window.

You were almost disturbed how much Eowyn and Trompdoy loved them. Once the moonstone was located in your workshop and you'd gotten most of the clutter put away, you settled down into dinner with the girls. Tonight, much like the last four nights now, was pepperpot as you'd stumbled across half a pallet of Spam getting thrown out. Since the only way to make it reliably edible was shitloads of spices, you'd kept the pot going at a low simmer and added water and additional canned goods in your free time. By now it was mostly a porridge, with dried lentils having rehydrated and sucked all the moisture out of the dish with a rich, spicy aura.

"y'know," Trompdoy muttered, cracking a peppercorn between her teeth, "we could probably weaponize this with a little creativity."

Okay, what was supposed to be a spicy aura. Your cooking skills meant that most of it was fairly bland, unless some of the bottom of the pot got scraped off and added to the mix for flavor. Probably just needed to stir it more.

"I'm working on it." You grumbled.

"Well, you need to get working on some merch!" Eowyn said, waving a chunk of wonderbread around. "I'm gonna need a new wand soon, and my denims are getting beat up."

"Can't you buy new clothes?" you griped, taking another bite of pepperpot.

"Yeah, and then I'll blow 'em to high heaven when I get hit." Eowyn griped. "Actually, getting a magical imbuement to work with our auras is hard, and a t-shirt ain't likely to appreciate going through a sheetrock wall."

"I'd like a new illusion amulet too." Trompdoy mentioned helpfully. "And a few healing potions. Someone here never seems to take my advice about not starting fights with homunculi, and then who has to put her guts back where they go? Me."

"I could've walked it off." Eowyn grumbled.

"Woman you were born with at least a foot more intestine than you have at this present moment and I will find some bonesaw to pull you open and check."

"Not in my dining room please." You grumbled.

"Right." Trompdoy grumbled. "Anyway, there's been more homunculus activity around the rail spur on the south side of town. We're gonna check it out tonight, so I'm gonna crash now."

You nodded. "Goodnight, then."

-/-/-/

It was a quarter after three in the morning when you woke up to gunshots outside your lobby. Throwing on a pair of slippers and a clean-ish bathrobe, you ran for where three magical girls were standing, with a fourth draped over a plank they were using a stretcher. Under the blood and bile, you realized it was Trompdoy.

"What happened?" you yelled, re-tying the belt that kept you modest now.

"Had to bail Trissa out." Eowyn said, spitting fire angrily. "The fucking alchemists are setting up a base in the old rail depot, and the kid stumbled into it with both feet. We scrambled, but one of 'em had a machine gun set up and they must have found some old hazardous waste."

"Fucking radium bullets." Trompdoy muttered from her stretcher. "How do I look, doc?"

You weren't a doctor, but this was bad. Massive gut wounds, at least three pints of blood on your floor, and Trompdoy was as white as virgin snow. Her guts were hamburger at this point, probably, and you weren't certain you could help.

"Does she have any healing voodoo?" you asked, waving your hands. "Because I ain't got shit for this."

"Just keep all the blood and bits in her and it normally works out." One of the girls you didn't know said. "Provided you don't, say, cut us in half we can generally grow back without too much trouble."

"Great." You muttered. "Trissa, go down to my workshop. Get the superglue, duct tape, and some bedsheets. Anyone got a knife?"

The unknown girl nodded, pulling out a long dagger with a swastika and some other shit on the pommel. You squinted at it.

"Spoils of war." She said, grinning. "You asked for a knife!"

Sighing, you took it, and cursed. Shit, that was some major magic in this thing! "I said a knife, not a damn magic artifact!"

"It's magic?" everyone, including the bleeding Trompdoy, asked.

"Hell yeah it's magic! Fucking thing is cursed to heal wounds it's caused."

"Dibs." Eowyn called, before you glared at her.

"Loot division after we save your friend." You growled. Trissa was back with the supplies, though so you got to work. Carefully guiding your hands into the mess, you found it was not as bad as first thought- no shit-smell, just a fuckload of really big, really bloody holes. Good. You could fix holes. "Give me the sheet." You muttered. Cutting it up with the ritual knife, you started shoving them into the wounds, as deep as you could get them. Once all the obvious ones were full, you then started covering them with superglue.

"Fuckfuckfuckfuck that burns you son of a bitch!" Trompdoy tried to yell at you, too week to make much more than noise.

"Means it's working." You grunted. The superglue would seal up the wound, and while it wouldn't sterilize anything, that was what nominally expired antibiotics were for anyway. Another layer of ripped up sheet went around the messes as an additional layer of sealent, and as you tied that off the duct tape came in as you banded it over the spots where blood was starting to seep out between the plugs.

"You think she's good?" Trissa asked nervously.

"Hell no." Eowyn muttered. "She's lost too much blood, and we need to get her strength up before she carks it. You sure you got nothing, Medicine Boy?"

"I got a shitty idea." You replied. "Hold my superglue."

Putting the knife in Trompdoy's hand, you wrapped your left hand around hers and pulled up your right sleeve with your teeth. "This knife heals sympathetically, so if I try and draw blood with it…"

"You're fucking nuts." The other girl said in amazement as you slowly ran the ritual dagger over the veins of your wrist.

"Across the street to the hospital, down the street to the morgue." You replied, the knife seeming to draw in the blood it loosed, a pale glow coming over Trompdoy's cheeks. "Another two should do it."

"You fucking dumbass." Trompdoy muttered.

"It's what I do best."

Two more knife-strokes and your vision was going gray at the edges, but you managed to glue your wrist shut and bandaged it in tape without too much issue. Going over to the wreck of an armchair in the corner, you flopped down into it.

"I'm gonna need some water." You muttered. "Also, someone owes me breakfast tomorrow."

"You're gonna get it in spades, good buddy." Eowyn said, coming over to you. "You saved my partner. Thank you."

"Just buy my shit later, ok?" you asked, groggy. Laughing, the magical girl bent down to fix your robe, and kissed you on the forehead.

"Of course."

-/-/-/-/

When you woke up to the smell of pancakes, you were in awe of the spread in front of you. Someone had pulled up a card table from your workshop, and covered it in IHOP catering, with pacakes and omlets and coffee for days. Working your way forward, you grabbed a fork in your left hand and started digging in with a gusto.

"Glad to see you're up, Medicine Boy!" the new girl from last night said. "I'm Calypso, the Betrayer."

"Charmed." You muttered around a mouthful of eggs. Swallowing, you squinted at her. "The Betrayer?"

She shrugged. "I used to be a homunculus, found out the alchemists who made me were Nazis, ran away. Ran into a Witch, she used me as a familiar, ran away from her too after I shot her in the back of the head."

You winced. "That seems kind of fatal."

"For a Witch? I give it fifty-fifty odds something like that kills 'em, and I flipped a tails that time. After that I signed on with the forces of light after I figured out I had a soul."

You squinted. "That is so far out of my wheelhouse I can't pretend to know how it works."

"Yeah well normally, being a soulless abomination, either a Familiar or a Homunculus would be filled with profound sorrow upon entering holy grounds, fall over, and die. Since I got into the chapel before keeling over in despair and did not die, empirical testing reveals I do in fact have a soul."

You shrugged. Metaphysics could wait until after breakfast.

"Also I crashed in your spare room."

"You want it?" you asked.

"Nah, I got a good squat I share with Trissa now." She replied.

"Well, good." You replied, grabbing another omlet.

"Anyway, Trompdoy looks like she'll pull through," Calypso said, smiling. "And you're looking good. Got anything for sale right now?"

"Nah." You grumbled.

"Pitty. I need a new wand something fierce." She muttered. "Well, tell the girls to give me a call when you do, I've got some great stuff I nicked last week. See ya!"

And with that, Calypso breezed out of the doors, and you flopped back into your chair to continue eating. Once that was done, you got back to your room, threw some work clothes on, and found your mop. The lobby looked like shit from last night, and with your low supply of blood you weren't doing any heavy lifting today.

Amusingly enough, two new Magical Girls came in around lunchtime, which was really more 'second breakfast' since cold pancakes would be tastier than the pepperpot again. In exchange for a messy collection of cash and some odd coins, you let 'em at the breakfast food and some pepperpot, happy to discover new friends and potential customers.

"Nice to see someone who understands we don't always have dollars." One of 'em said, smiling at you. "I'm Rose the Entangling."

"And I'm Ouroboros." The other said. "Do you take euros?"

"I take everything at this rate." You grumbled. "Preferably material goods."

"I have bullets if you want then." Rose said. "Only Tokarevs though."

You considered, and nodded. "Sure."

"Nothing for sale yet?" Ouroboros said sadly.

"Yeah. Still getting set up." You complained.

"Oh." She replied. "That's a shame. Can I make a suggestion, though?"

You shrugged.

"I'm thinking something between a jobs board and a threat meter?" she said. "Some way of keeping track of targets. We're all going to be coming into and out of here, and it would be nice to have a way of not stepping on each other's toes."

"I'll think about it." You said, nodding. "Anything else?"

"Nah." Ouroboros said. "Have a good one!"

"You too." You muttered, before heading back to your lunch.

/-/-/-/-/-/-
Votes

Develop the Threat Board System?
[] Yes (Unlocks room: Mission Control, requires 20 Magical Girl contacts, ???, and ??? for construction)
[] No (Unlocks room: Medical Center, requires 20 Magical Girl contacts, ???, and ??? for construction)

Build a Tool
[] Trinket
[] Wand
[] Bomb
[] No, you want to work on your building instead. (Locked due to Injuries)
[] No, you want to improve your workshop instead. (Locked due to Injuries)

Week 3: Your wands make surprisingly excellent melee weapons, everything is wine-dark when you're blind
Sitting down at your workbench was a relaxing experience. Nothing but you, arcane knoweldges trying to murder you, and the ever-present smell of cheap liquor that served as the eau d' vie of your projects, as sourced by Goodyear. God bless that man, wherever the hell he was. Either way, it was time to build a wand.

Technically speaking, a wand had four parts. The core, rod, focus, and binder. Alcohol, while physically solvent, was an excellent simulation of duct tape in more esoteric rituals like this. Pouring a fifth of Captain Morgan into a mixing bowl with some salt and flour quickly got you a heavy paste, which you shelved for now as you worked on the core and rod.

Physically, the rod was the 'meat' of a wand, and magically had to make a decent backbone as well. For this work, you had a fourteen-inch chunk of number 3 rebar, which you laid out on a clean sheet of butcher paper while you got to work doing the symbolism and arithmancy in the margins around it. The core of a wand needed to be something magically conductive, serving as- in a rough analogy- an antenna to a radio. For this wand, you were using cat5e cable as the core since as a signal medium, it had thaumaturgic transmission quality that might work well enough. After running through some arithmetic equations and determining a one-in-eight wrap would be sufficient, you grabbed a handful of the binder and got to work. Twist and pull, that was the name of it, twist and pull and soak. A slosh more of whiskey, that was the gimmick there, to keep it wet as you pulled and heaved.

Arcane mysticism wouldn't hide the effort you were putting into this, the energies pulled through your body into the working making the pliable cable fight like hell to stay to the rod. The more sophisticated your tools, the less difficult the work would be- but with only your bare hands and some long division, this would be a Syphisian task to render perfect. Perfect wasn't your goal, though, as the wires came together at the top and you slammed more binder onto them as you went for your gribblies bin. Fate guided your hands to the focus for this wand- a broken cross, ill-treated by time and tread into four pieces. Symbolism was a powerful tool, still, and as you took the rendition of Jesus aside, the rest of the pieces fell together in the orientation of their once-whole symbol. Nodding solemnly, you placed them at the tip of the rod, gently pressed into the binder as you tied the cables over them, and then placed the last part on top. More binder followed, and your next step was simple- the baking.

Fire could be used to create or destroy; and in your work it needed to be shielded. A burn barrel took up a non-zero part of your workshop, with a fuel pile next to it. Putting in a shield for the burn chamber, you set in the wand, and shoveled some pieces of broken furniture into the bottom portion. Moments later, a some paper and a match ignited it, and you flicked on the old vacuum motor that provided a draft to get real heat out of it.

Eight hours of tending the fire- and simultaneously monitoring the pull of power being imbued into your trash-can wand- later, you felt the flow abate and silenced the motor. With long tongs, you pulled the wand forth, and smiled.

The rebar had lost three inches of length, but the cables had burned away to a clear, glassy wrap in a winding helix to the top. What had begun life as a crucifix had been pulled into the Aether from whence God stored all gifts to life, but a memory remained in each cross of the rebar and glass being stained with a golden outline. Picking it up, a smile crossed your face. Truly, this was a wonderful item. Resting it on your bench, you smiled happily, walked out of your workshop's door, and promptly realized you'd just pulled ten straight hours of work and fell right the fuck over. Clunk.

"Medicine Boy?"

"What." You growled, grabbing the rotting wallpaper and trying to heave yourself up."

"You're nuked. Look at me, buddy."

Squinting, you looked up. It was… Calypso? Yeah, that was Calypso.

"I'm fine." You grumbled. "Help me up."

She chuckled, smiling. "Ok."

You weren't quite sure how she helped you to your room, but she did, and it wasn't long before you were asleep.

-/-/-/-/-/

The next day was Wednesday, alias Shower Day. While worse for wear from her constant harassment of the alchemists in the rail depot, Eowyn was still in good enough shape to help get Trompdoy out to the showers, and Calypso had crashed in your lobby on the grounds of you being physically unable to say no. While you didn't quite approve of putting the still-bandaged Trompdoy through the wash on a cheap metal folding chair, she was starting to smell a little. Not in the 'oh god, infections' sense, but rather the build-up of BO and dirt that happened when you were stuck in a single room with barely-adequate sanitation and a stack of newspapers to wipe with.

Once the first stage of the shower was done (and Eowyn slipped you a fifty to get real TP since newspaper wasn't getting the job done with Trompdoy's weakened hands) you yourself got rinsed off and ready to make lunch when you found your resident invalid sprawled on a coffee table in your lobby with her shirt off.

"What." You asked, in the sort of dead tone that indicated that there was shenanigans afoot, but you were too hung-over from the arcane work yesterday that you really couldn't tell which shenanigans were happening.

"Gotta change the dressing." Trompdoy said, prompting you to groan. Moving over and throwing a pillow on the ground, you sat in seiza next to her, pulling out your jackknife.

"Can you at least throw a towel on the top half?" you asked mildly. "Not like I don't appreciate the clear working area, but I figure you're cold.

"Not really." Trompdoy replied as you cut off the duct-tape with practiced hands. Aside from the usual tape rash, the area around each of the punctures was fairly smooth and clean, with none of the signs of redness that would normally be present.

"Calypso, can I trust you in my kitchen?" you asked carefully. "I need a pot of boiling water to sterilize my knife in."

"What are you doing?" Calypso replied, staring.

"I need to cut out the plugs and re-bind her stomach. The wounds can't heal right with a giant mass of superglue in there."

Once sanitation was provided, you put words to deeds. Clean bandages were provided courtesy of a run to Wal-Mart the day after the incident, and it wasn't long before your blood-soaked work was thrown out and clean, easier to handle bandages were in. That done, you went to get lunch- because after lunch would be the bidding war.

"Ten thousand dollars." Trompdoy said flatly, staring at the wand with unabashed lust. You couldn't blame her, it was excellent work.

Calypso just grumbled, leaving the room.

Eowyn's bid started off with a star sapphire the size of both your fists, and she anted up with a set of bottles marked with some very fancy labeling, and two bars of luminescent silver. Finally, her last item on the table was a vial that thrummed with power in the back of your mind. "One artificial star sapphire, perfect for focus use, six thousand carats. Uncut, obviously. Two bottles of Dom Perignon, circa 1936. Probably not fakes, like… eighty percent chance they're real. If the bottles have serials on 'em, don't be surprised if they're duplicates, alchemists do that all the time. One bottle of Papal Holy Water, circa Pius XII."

"Wait for me!" Calypso yelled, coming back while dragging a literal duffel bag full of stuff. "My bid! Ninety-five neurodes, sixty-three completed neuroptics, forty mutagenic masses, five shelf-stable detonite injectors, six jars of the black bile, five of yellow bile, nine jars of distilled red humor of blood, and twelve jars of phlegm. Good phlegm too!"

Holding up your hands, you waved them off. Opening the bidding war right now had been a huge mistake, obviously. "I'll get back to you soon, calm down! I still need to… temper it! For another day or three!"

The three magical girls didn't stop glaring at each other for the rest of the day.

-/-/-/-/

Next morning, amidst your dreams of comfy beds and potpourri air fresheners, a rap-tap-tapping came from your chamber door.

"A FOOL IS THIS AND NOTHING MORE!" you yelled as you came up, one hand fluidly throwing a boot at the sound of the noise.

"Shut the hell up and open the door Medicine Boy, it's four in the morning and I don't have time for this shit." Goodyear said, somewhere between hungover and desperate. "You've got a spare room, right?"

Pulling on a pair of pants and your robe, you opened the door to see Goodyear in a singed coat and a pair of oversized aviators. "Yeah. You find a girl or something?"

"No." he groused, and I saw a second pair of legs behind him. "I found a boy."

"Ah, fuck." You griped, moving out past him to the commissary. "I owe you food for this."

"You don't owe me food for this, you owe me a place for this kid." Goodyear said, pulling him by the arm. "His name is Homer."

"My name is not homer you half-bread ingrate-" the kid said, before Goodyear kicked him in the ass.

"Your name is fucking Homer now unless you want every single god-damn witch who's plans you spoiled by tagging up that ritual circle to come barreling down on your head." Goodyear snapped. "Names, true names, have power. If you think losing your eyes was bad, those bitches will tear you down until you're nothing more than a brain in a jar that spends it's time screaming to lull the familiars to sleep."

"He's blind?" you asked, frowning. There wasn't light to see by, but once you got to the commissary you could fire up one of the electric lamps that served as illuminators. It wasn't long before you got there, and in the harsh light of the LED that you saw the truth of Goodyear's words. Acid burns coated the kid's forehead and cheeks, both eye sockets hidden by naught but a thin strip of cloth. You didn't need to guess what was behind it, but the black, green, and red strips of raw skin stained by some hellspawn acid that tracked the story for him.

"I did what I could." Goodyear muttered. "There's no good countermeasure to a Witch who's had enough time to set up vitriolic defenses. Even a water and earth team couldn't dig them out in time."

"You saved me." Homer said, trying to smile. "Even if you're an ass."

"Boy, you managed to disrupt every single keynote character and runic anchor that circle had established." Goodyear said, a hint of admiration in his voice. "That ritual site won't be back until Midwinter, at the very least, and it'll be Beltane before they can even think of using it again."

"So what is he, anyway?" You asked, going in the back to heat up the pot of beans and assorted vegetables that had been dinner.

"He's got a gut instinct for understanding rituals and magical methodology; possibly an instinctive grasp of arcane principles or general thaumaturgy." Goodyear said, stroking his chin. "Loosing his eyes might not even slow him down depending on how he expresses his craft."

"I still struggle to call you a credible source, but whatever." Homer grumbled. "You obviously have a good enough grasp of divinatory studies to have clairvoyance, if not proper precognition or postcognition. It would probably help if you didn't smoke a mountain of ganja to use it, though."

I stared at Goodyear. Goodyear stared at me.

"Anyway, so." He said, coughing. "Bad news time."

"God damnit." You grumbled. "Let me guess, new magical girl in the wings, horrible sob story, you have a spare room right?"

Now it was time for Goodyear to grumble at me. "Take the words out of my fucking mouth again I swear."

"I already have one clownshow in my commissary that won't shut up, don't want to make it two."

"Thanks." Both Homer and Goodyear said. The later continued his speech. "Anyway, new girl. Tentatively calling her Baldr's Bane, after how she came over to our dark side of life."

"Still think 'Mistletoe' is a perfectly fine epithet" Homer griped.

Another kick in the shins from Goodyear, and Homer shut up. Continuing, the magic hobo explained events a tad bit better. "Complete and total neophyte of a magical girl. We generally get about two a month, and I will bust my ass every time to get them here. No gear, no training, no hope- a poison to survival."

"Does Homer have anywhere safe to stay?" you asked, oblivious.

"Nope. He walks into a public building, and it'll get nuked within the hour." Goodyear said, sighing. "Mistletoe will probably be safe for a week, maybe two; or I can get Homer on a train to St. Louis. Covens don't talk to each other much, so he'll be safe enough there."

"And if I pick up Homer, he'll be a target." You muttered, sketching on the table.

"Yes, but I've got a good feeling about him." Goodyear said. "Even if he did out one of my better hat tricks for no reason."

"I'll take it under advisement." You said, sighing. "Can you hide him under a rock for a day or two?"

"I can do you three and then my guy to St. Louis is gone."

"I'll have Eowyn take you an answer by then."

Goodyear laughed. "Nah. I'll find you."

/-/-/-/-
VOTES

Wand Sale!
[] Trompdoy (20 Mundane)
[] Eowyn (6 Gubbins, 2 Demon Stuff, 6 Holy Stuff)
[] Calypso (18 Witchy Stuff)

Take on a new boarder
[] Take in Homer (Male, magical talents strong but unknown, blind)
[] Take in Mistletoe (Female, magical girl with no equipment, experience, or training, but full of hope and power)

Build a Tool
[] Trinket
[] Wand
[] Bomb

HOW TO GET MORE CONTENT!
SO YOU WANT MORE CONTENT!

Good news, folks. Because my other IPs for sale (A Century Turns, Night over the Bosporus; links in my sig) are producing terrible cash flow because of shenanigans with my publisher, I need more money. Three months with no pay is intolerable. To that end, I'm going to be trying a small monitization scheme with this quest.

Updates are free. Let me say that right now. At least every week and possibly twice a week you'll get around 2k words of the base quest.

Sidestories are $1/200 words, commissioner's choice of topic. Magical girl shenanigans, enemy perspectives, national events, the slow decline into madness, where Magical Girls get their power from... it's all fair game.

Double updates are $40 a month, combined from any commissions and direct contributions made. If we get to that point, votes will normally be called Mondays and Thursdays, with updates on Tuesdays and Fridays.

If by some miracle I'm pulling in $80 a month, I'll start an archive thread and compile back updates into a PDF with notes and anotations, which will be for sale for about $5 per unit.

Everything after that is gravy.

EDIT: I now have a Ko-Fi. The base price of $3 will be accounted of in any costs of commission, or you can pay the full ammount through them. Either way, I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Week 3+1: When magic is a constant of life, superstition becomes perfectly reasonable paranoia in the face of the unknown

After taking Homer in, you quickly discovered a problem: the Commissary was not set up to deal with more than four people eating there. The stoves were inadequate, the sump couldn't drain fast enough, and most importantly trying to cram everyone in there was an utter bitch. Therefore, you'd be expanding it posthaste. Also, when the girls used it as a War Room, it got loud.

"I still think we shouldn't fuck with her." Trissa opined, glaring at the map of the city covered in Monopoly pieces, sharpie marker lines, and pushpins. "That nest of alchemists is still a major danger, and they've nearly killed me twice now. I don't want to make it three times."

"The witch dies." Calypso shot back. "I don't care if I need to grab that new girl and duct-tape a sword into her hand, we're killing her."

"Can we wait, like, maybe one week?" Trompdoy groused. "Seriously, why the hell is everyone trying to go off half-cocked?"

"Because it's a witch, full stop?" Eowyn griped. "The sooner we kill it, the less time it has to get dug in. I might have stopped it from setting up a bounded field last night, but there's no way for me to know if I can pull that off again- and you're still recovering for quite a while yet."

"I've already got most of the injuries healed up." Trompdoy replied.

"So you're vulnerable still because we know it takes time to recover strength."

Slamming a pot of ham and pea porridge down on the table, you glared at all of them and just started dishing out dinner. The conversation died down, and Trompdoy drew a circle around the map and started chewing on a lump of ham.

"The real question is can we get more supplies if we wait a week." Calypso said, glaring. "If we could get more gear, then there wouldn't be an issue with getting overwhelmed by defensive Familiars in a week."

"I'll see what I can do." You said, sighing.

"You won't see what you can do, you're gonna make something we can use to burn this place out." Calypso replied, voice harsh. "I am down to fuckall for supplies, and unlike some of y'all, I don't have a way to make up for that."

The rest of the table stared at her. "I thought you were a skill-girl like the rest of us." Trissa finally said, blinking.

"I was literally an old homunculus before I oopsed into a soul!" Calypso yelled. "I left that dump with a lantern sword, a pistol, and a Molotov; and since then all of it's been broken! I literally have two hands and some orisons and that's it!"

"Show of hands, all in favor of waiting a week?" Trompdoy asked tiredly.

Every hand went up.

"Great, meeting adjourned, now everyone eat your damn porridge."

-/-/-/-/

Once you got Homer settled into his room, you didn't really see him for the next three days. When you did, you found him in the room across the hall, now fully remediated and full of scrap lumber and cinder block bookshelves.

"Homer, what the fuck?" you asked blithely, staring at the room.

"You like it?" he asked, grinning. At some point, he'd aquired a pair of shutter-shades and smashed the face off a Wal-Mart Special watch, and stolen a pair of your cheapo work gloves. "Because personally, I like it."

"I'm trying to figure out what it all does." You replied, stepping around the room. A large war-mask stared out at you from the door-wall, and the south face of the room had the window completely torn out and replaced with shutters. In the center of the room, a wire circle had been pounded into the sub-floor, with layers building up from it steadily, before capping off in a large plinth with a non-insignificant amount of your moonstone on it.

"It's a ritual circle and enscribatory plinth." Homer explained, stepping into it. "Basically, I speak a word, and it steals it from a written source somewhere in the room, and transcribes it to another piece of paper."

"So you made a magical Xerox machine, when I could just go to the public library and use theirs."

Homer grinned at you. "If you trust a mundane scanner to handle sixth-dimensional witch-runes or copy over self-destructing recipes, sure. More importantly, it lets me create copies of spellcraft and magery."

You glared at him. "And you know how much spellcraft and magery?"

"Watch and learn." He said, grinning. Taking out a sheet of copy paper, Homer put it on the moonstone and unloaded a box of destroyed books onto a shelf.

"Bortom Svea rikes gränser
Hörs ett kall från ovan jord
Följer kristendomens regler
Offensivens man, soldat i Jesu namn!"

Watching the ruined texts on the shelf start to dissolve into motes of dust, the sheet of copy paper started slowly growing, edges curling as runes started covering the sheet. Homer sure as fuck wasn't speaking English, and like hell those were books in… well it wasn't German, but it was related. Sorta like how housecats and tigers were related, if you squinted.

"In i striden genom ett kulregn, Herrens vilja ske
In i striden går han på led-
Tills han vitögat ser karolinen marscherar fram!
Lade sitt liv i Guds han för sin konung och fosterland
Tills han vitögat ser karolinen marscherar fram
!"

The sheet of paper had now started pulling from the ream, and you could feel the same dictum of power that you used to develop a wand last week rip into the working below. Mystic shapes pushed and pulled through the air, auras of power coalescing themselves around the scroll until the pressure was unimaginable. Coreward the motes flew, until the age of the paper reversed itself, becoming pristine velum as the ink scattered and settled. Finishing his narration with an explosive scream, Homer slammed his hands down on the scroll and the shelf of disintegrating books exploded outwards in a flurry of dust and cardboard covers.

Coughing, you felt the energy disperse, before you walked up to the pedestal. "So. What the fuck."

"I made a scroll." He said, grinning. "In this instance… a field-breaker, general purpose. A superimposition of reality onto whatever workings that some dumbass creates."

"I presume this is useful?"

Homer rolled his head, and if he still had eyes they'd be so far back in his skull the pupil would meet his brain. "I literally got blinded by the Familiars explicitly because I made sure they'd need to have a full Witch to create a bounded field. Most Witch-crafts are underpinned by a suspension of an aspect of reality- the behavior of light, the presence of gravity, a system of elements, the dissolution of magnetism… tons of shit. Unless you're willing to pay through the nose, you need a bounded field. Traditionally, you break the anchors to break it, but it's not terribly advanced fieldcraft to be able to hide anchors in the field itself."

"fucking A." you muttered. "Well, we can hawk it to the girls at least."

Homer winced. "Noooot really."

You stared as hard as you could.

"Okay so what if I told you there was a non-zero chance this could kill them?"

The room was void of sound as your glare intensified.

"Alright so there's a lot of ways to make a magical girl," Homer said, pacing. "Which I figured out because holy shit, Trompdoy will not shut up and can hold a conversation across the hotel because magic. Anyway, lots of magical girls use bounded fields with themselves as the anchor. It's how a lot of their tricks work: bottomless pouches, costume changes, superlasers, whatever. There's a non-zero number of Skill type girls though who's skill relies on a field bounded into their bodies. Break that field, and I have no fucking idea what happens next."

"So, in short, you built a magical nuke and we have no way to use it."

"Yeah pretty much."

You sighed. "Great. You can cook, right?"

"Yeah."

"You're cooking for the rest of the week. I need a fucking nap."

-/-/-/-/

It was two days later that you were cleaning up the lobby and something tall, dark, and smirking walked in.

"Evening, Medicine Boy." Ouroboros said, smiling. "A little birdy told me you had a library here now."

"Yep." You said, sighing. This was your life now. Magical girls, bloodstains on your tile lobby floor, and people playing coy.

"Let me guess, you accidentally built something you can't use." She said, smiling. "Because your Scrivener is still learning the ropes and rushed it, and didn't actually do any spell design other than 'fuck everything around me' because spell design is hard."

"A pound of salt for my privacy." You grumbled.

"These days, it would be worth closer to a ton of salt." Ouroboros said, smiling at you before coming over to pat your head. "That's ok though. I'll buy it still."

"How much?" you asked. Moments later, you were holding five dusty old tomes, and a giant scroll.

"Well, we've got here the entire Lesser Key of Solomon in the original languages, mostly Latin, German, and Hebrew because I'm old-fashioned like that; On the Mysteries of the Egyptians, Chaldeans, and Assyrians, in the Ancient Greek; a copy of the Dead Sea Scrolls, in English sadly because I didn't have time to hop on over to Rome, and finally two Alchemical Notebooks because I've been frying bigger fish."

"Really." You said, looking at her.

"A magical girl grows in power with her experience, Medicine Boy." Ouroboros said, smiling slightly. "And I have experience dealing with threats older than this order of magi you now call Alchemists."

"Does it count as asking a woman her age when she dangles the question in front of you?" you asked rhetorically, "Since I would hate to start an incident, of course."

"It still counts." Another visitor said. Rose, right? Probably Rose. "Although some people should know better than to do that, right?"

"You take all the fun out of it." Ouroboros said, flopping down across the coffee table. Her dress showed more of her off than it covered at this point, the feathery portions layering themselves across everything but her pale leg and stockings. "I can't even tease the boy properly, he's so young."

"Oh the horror, ye who corrupt the youth." you said, sighing. "HOMER!"

Bumbling out of the library, Homer came into the front room, before you shoved Ouroboros' payment at him. "Nuke scroll, please."

"You're serious?" he said. "That could-"

"Boy." Ouroboros said, sighing. "Look at me."

"I still don't like it-" Homer started, before you moved out of the way. Striding off the coffee table, Ouroboros looked at him, one finger reaching to touch his chest, working it's way up to his chin as she towered over him, pulling him in closer to whisper in his ear.

"子供の頃夢に見てた
古の魔法のように...
光を呼び覚ます
願い"

Shaking out your ear, you didn't pretend to comprehend what Ouroboros had said, but you did rush up to catch Homer as she dropped him.

"She's good." He muttered. "really good. Ooof."

"You understood that?" you asked.

"Listen, there's understanding something, and understanding something." Homer muttered, trying to find his balance and failing. "Fuck, I need a smoke."

"Indeed." Ouroboros said, with a throaty chuckle as she accepted the scroll. Inspecting it, she continued going on. "Swedish? Bold choice, but it works for this. No obvious misandry in the circle, fairly well balanced implementation… oooh. I like your style, kid."

"Medicine, please." Homer begged you. "Don't let her get her hands on me again. I don't know if I can-"

"Give him my regards." Ouroboros said, smiling with a saccharine glint in her eyes. "With this, I'll be off."

As you finally got Homer to stop needing to cling to your arm, Ouroboros turned around in the doorway out, before blowing a kiss at Homer. The effect, even with his back turned, was rather like watching someone get hit by a car as he went down like a sack of bricks.

"REALLY?" you yelled out at her.

"Love you too, kid!" Ouroboros yelled. "Tschuss!"

/-/-/-/-/-

Build a Tool
[] Trinket
[] Wand
[] Bomb

Last edited:
Stop: There are acceptable ways to describe minors on SV. 'Shota' isn't one of them.
there are acceptable ways to describe minors on sv. 'shota' isn't one of them.
Let me make it perfectly clear, in case the banner didn't: The usage of "shota" to describe someone on SV very definitely violates the acceptable content rules of SV. This is a zero tolerance area.

Everyone involved with this has received infractions and varying levels of temporary threadbans.

Week 5: The week Homer was now and forevermore assigned to Shower Duty

Cracking your fingers, you shut the door to your workshop happily and shoveled a pile of dollar-store cleaning products off your desk and into a bin. Another sheet of butcher paper, now, and you could start work on the trinket from Hell- literally, as you tabbed through Homer's cliff notes on the Lesser Key. Working with a string and grease pencil, you started duplicating the assorted demonology signs, before the butcher paper started deforming and warping. Slamming a rod of rebar into it, you laughed as the paper curled around the rod of iron, hissing faintly.

"'Tis a damn tough life, full of toil and strife, we crafter-men must go." you sang, pulling out a basin of holy water and a paintbrush. Flicking the water over it, the devilish insignia and knowledge spat and burned as the outside of the paper became hostile, mirroring their work into the rebar. "And we don't give a damn when the day is done, how hard the fires did blow."

As the paper finally gave up the ghost and turned into a thin, cinder-coated ash, you pulled on a pair of work-gloves and dusted the filth of the remains off the rod, now scarred with demonic symbols inversed in progress. Pulling out a brown paper bag, you scooped the ashes into it, before throwing the holding bag into a Tupperware container you'd painstakingly lined in tinfoil and pentagrams. That aught to hold it for… two weeks tops? Therabouts. The real bastard was having to burn the Tupperware afterwards, but it was a yard sale special you hadn't quite gotten all the mold out of yet, so no major loss. Either way, back to work.

The real trick to building a trinket, as far as you were concerned, was knowing how to take advantage of the mutability of magically sympathetic relationships. Cut a lock of your hair off, and it was still a lock of your hair, and ergo part of you. Demonic sigils weren't nearly so tied, but you still knew they were a part of the source material, and could be manipulated as such to produce a desirable effect.

Speaking of desirable effects, it proabably wouldn't hurt to balance things out a little and get some of that moonstone used up. Knocking a chunk off with your chisel, you went over to your 2x4 vice and clamped it down, before wetting it and getting the 800 grit. It wouldn't be a perfect cabochon, but you'd try to get it knocked down smooth at least. Something favored your efforts, fortunately, so it was only an hour before you could switch up to the 1000 grit, and then 1200 as you brought the top to a shine. Rouge and Tripoli polishes would come next if you had any, but in lieu of that you had shoe polish and Dawn dish soap.

"Will tomorrow ever come? Will I make it through the night?" you sang, smiling as the stone took shape and luster under your cloth. "Will there ever be a place for the broken in the light?"

When the stone was done, you felt happy with its end size of maybe sixty carats. Putting it on the table, you crossed yourself and said a quick Our Father as it sparkled a tad too brightly for the terrible light of the workshop. Going over to light the fire under your magical forge, you made sure it was caught well before you went over to your bins of material. It took a minute for you to find the clockwork, but it wasn't long before you did. You needed an escarpment, a gutted mechanical pocketwatch, and a flat coil spring. Said old pocketwatch had been shot up, but it wasn't like you were keeping it the same size anyway. Gutting it, you arranged the pieces carefully before replacing the escarpment and pulling out an angle grinder to knock the demon-rebar apart with. Once that was done, you dovetailed each piece together, and made a rough diamond frame, from which you suspended the internals in via silver wire and a liberal dose of alcohol. Finally, the moonstone was added by means of a piece of tinplate and a sliding pin: when completed, rather than snapping open like a standard pocketwatch, the face-shield would dip out like a snuff tin.

Smiling as it was all put together, you set it in the forge, before sealing it and lighting the fire higher. As you stoked it up, it almost felt like a punch to the gut as the pull of power flew into the furnace. Trying to wrangle the flow was like guiding a hawser with a single thread, so you tried to find a way to focus. Singing generally worked, and with this much of your good stuff on the line, now was not the time to get creative!

"Oh God of earth and altar, bow down and hear our cry.

Our earthly rulers falter, our people drift and die.

The walls of gold entomb us, the swords of scorn divide.

Take not thy thunder from us, but take away our pride."

How long had you been working at this? It couldn't have been too long, as the sun still came in through your window. The flow of power made your forge glow, the fire a mere bagatelle next to the weight of magic pushing it's way through the system in a heady thrum of the vis of life. Leaning on the wall, you considered your work, and whether or not it was done yet. No, you decided. This wasn't over yet.

"From all that terror teaches, from lies of tongue and pen,

From all the easy speeches that comfort cruel men.

From sale and profanation, of honour and the sword,

From sleep and from damnation, deliver us, good Lord."

The thought of food or drink had crossed your mind, now, sweet and tempting, as the glow of the workplace started dying. Homer had promised to make onion soup, and the girls should have brought something as they increasingly brought their favorites in for keepsafe in your refrigerator. A cold Coke right now, oh, you could sell a soul for it if you didn't know how literal that saying was. When you were done, then. When you were done.

"Tie in a living teather the prince and priest and thrall,

Bind all our lives together, smite and save us all;

In ire and exultation, aflame with faith and free.

Lift up a living nation, a single sword to Thee."

Panting, you felt the flow of energy finally cease. Letting the song end, you went over, pulling on thermal-proof leather gloves as you dug the trinket out. How misguiding a name, for such an item of power. The diamond had become clean-shaped and faceted well, bends of the rebar becoming tooling patterns as the sigil-work became an underlayer only visible in the ghost of a reflection. The moonstone was the same size as before, but now cut and polished professionally and set in a bezel of silver, blending into the work of the front and polish-circles. A hidden button served to open the face, and inside the clockwork had become masterfully gilded, the internals ticking with a warm finality. Three buttons hid at the top right of the frame, right where your thumb would rest once you kicked aside the cover.

A workmen's intuition told you this was the true worth of the trinket. The first was a straight spell focus. Anything a magical girl did, up to and including breathing, would be just better. The second, a shielding ability and second sense for danger. No weapon would surprise, nor blade strike true, nor trap detect her. Finally, and most critically, the third button would stop the time of the clock- and thus, the time of the world. Oh, the magical metaphysics would be hell to explain, and the energy cost would be measured in days of nothingness as the trinket prepared to rend the natural order asunder… but once a week? Eight seconds of liberation from the strictest interpretation of reality.

It was your best work.

You also felt like death warmed over. Grabbing a shaft of rebar to hold yourself up, you thunked across the hall and into bed like a zombie, not even bothering to shut the door before your snores carried to the rest of the hotel. If anyone asked questions, Homer would handle it.

-/-/-/-/

Two days and a leather strap to hold the watch on later, you were sitting in the commissary, looking across the table at a girl in a green skirt, gold blouse, and the stupidest fucking beret you'd ever seen.

"This is Mistletoe?" you asked, squinting at her.

"What, you expect me to bring you some shining and sparkling thing that just walked off the set of Pr*tty C*r*?" Calypso asked, snorting. "Dream on, Medicine Boy."

"Listen, I expected something more homeless, not…" you said, waving your arms around. "all this."

Mistletoe flinched a little as your hands got a tad too close to her face and food. You'd even washed them, c'mon.

"Believe me, it could be so much worse." Calypso grunted. "You owe me one, man. I even gave her first pick of the loot when we kicked over a minor Witch, and she nabbed the Costume Seed!"

"awhat." You grumbled.

"It's a magical preset doohickey that Witches make. Looks sorta like a cotton puff except gem-y, then you magic it, and boom! Costume!"

Considering Calypso was sitting there in a pair of Daisy Dukes and a men's tourist trap T-shirt that read "HAKUNA SOME VODKA" that had either cigarette or bullet holes in it, you could believe it.

"Anyway, welcome to Casa del Chicas Brujas." You said, holding out a hand to shake. "I'm Medicine Boy."

"I'm uh-" Mistletoe said, before Calypso cut her off.

"Remember, don't tell him your real name."

"But you said he was a friend!" she squeaked. "You don't tell friends fake names!"

"You do when they expect it." You said, smiling slightly. "It keeps us safer."

"Then call me… Sofia." Mistletoe said, sighing. "I'll know who you're talking about then, at least.

"Sofia, the Mistletoe." You mussed. "Perfectly acceptable."

"When do you think you'll have more rooms available?"

"Now, if you want." Homer yelled from the kitchen. You felt zero guilt in making him cook, since A, you were still burnt out from Monday, and B, he was actually pretty good at it. Not better than you, of course, but the girls liked it. The fact he couldn't use his Library while you used your Workshop probably didn't hurt.

"You built another room?" you asked.

"Yeah, and I also got Goodyear to pillage an Army Surplus Store on the south side of town that's been abandoned since for-fucking-ever." Homer said, laughing. "All the furniture is OD Green, but why the hell would I care?"

"Which one?"

"Room twelve."

"Awesome." You said, grinning. "Sofia, how do you feel about your ability to pay rent?"

"I'm… uh…" Sofia floundered.

"What she means to say is, she's not sure she can always make rent." Calypso said, frowning. "She's been with me in my squat since Trissa disappeared, but-"

"Trissa disappeared?" you asked.

"Yeah. Hasn't shown up for four days now. I'm getting worried." Calypso said, lips pursed. "If you've got literally anything better than Molotovs and a butter knife, I'll do whatever you want to get it."

"Anything?" you asked, grinning.

"Anything." Calypso said, sighing. "The Alchemists are stepping shit up, and we can't interdict them reliably anymore. With the Witches on the board too… it was only Sofia there being able to guarantee a kill on the leader that let us go in. I have fuck and all to attack with anymore."

Smiling, you pulled out the watch, and held it in front of her.

"This is a four story building." You said, dead serious. "If I give this to you, you're committed to scraping out the second and third floors of shit, and remediating it to where it's useable. It'll probably take you at least a month, nine to five, every day, per floor."

Calypso was literally drooling into her soup.

"Also, anything you have not nailed down at your lair." you added. "You can crash rent-free in one of the rooms once you get it cleared out, but you're still paying normal rates for the facilities."

"Done, done, done." Calypso said. "I'll bring the bag of witchy shit over tonight, and I'll start work on Sunday."

You raised an eyebrow. "Because?"

"Friday night we're going after the Alchemists. Goodyear managed to get us in contact with a team of mixed magical girls and mercs, and we kicked in enough to get them to run LZ security for the job."

You grinned ferally. "Then good hunting."

-/-/-/-/-/

It was three in the morning on Saturday that the girls got back in a shot-up old pickup. Hauling two stretchers out of the back and sliding them to a stop in your lobby, you hissed as you saw the patients. Trompdoy had gotten most of her clothes burned off the left side of her body and several hideous-looking burns, while an unknown and black-clad man was bleeding profusely. Bleeding first.

Ripping open a women's hygiene pad, you professionally shoved it as deep in the gunshot wound as you could. Trying to dig the bullet out was for fools and morons, since the damn thing wasn't gonna hurt him more unless it jiggled around or got infected. We'd burn that bridge when we got to it. Your next step was a patch of glue on top, and then a massive torsion wrap to keep the veins around it pulled tight. Terse orders got him as stable as could be, and it wasn't arterial bleeding so he'd probably pull through.

Trompdoy, the poor gal, was a more complicated job. Aside from a few patches of burned-on plastic clothing that you had to cut off while not taking too much skin off, there just wasn't much you could do about a quarter of her body being covered in second-degree blisters and a few deep third degree burns. God, those were going to suck ass to treat.

"Eowyn." You said, glaring. "She's going to need fluids, lots of 'em. If you can, we need to get some Ringer's solution, about… fuck. At least four, less than six liters. Get more if you can, and some Silvicane too for later."

Eowyn shook her head at you, sighing. "Medicine Boy… how the fuck do you know this?"

"Dad was a veterinarian." you spat back. "Fucking get a move on it, or she'll go into more shock. Pharmacies should have it over the counter."

"Yes, Chief." She said, before diapering.

"Homer!" you yelled. Had to keep moving, keep treading water. "Water, and make a few weak batches of Gatorade, one tenth strength. It ain't the real deal, but it's good enough."

Looking Trompdoy in her pain-shocked eyes, you grit your teeth. This was going to be hell to work her through, but you'd do your best. That was all you had left, these days.

-/-/-/-/

Saturday morning came in like a hangover, probably from the cheep gin you'd used to try and chase away the memory of scrubbing out the third degree burns on Trompdoy's torso. Those were going to be hellishly deep scars. Sitting in the commissary with a look like death, you realized after three cups of coffee that across from you was the mercenary leader from last night.

"Hello, Medicine Boy." He said amicably. Bastard was seventeen at oldest, with a hint of a moustache and the sort of eminently punchable face you hated, complete with off-yellow skin typical of an Italian who didn't get enough sun. "Good work last night, no?"

"Fucking shitshow probably, I don't know." You growled. "Whataya want?"

"To leave a card, and thanks for putting Monroe back together." He said. "My name is Antonio Diovolo, leader of the Gray Skies group. If you're ever looking for work or need to hire some extra help, give us a call. Don't worry about the masquerade, either- everyone knows who we are."

You nodded, and glared at him. Taking his card, you held on to it for a minute, before he finally fucked off and left. Good. It was time for bitterness and coffee, before saving lives and carrying on with the rest of the day. What else was left to hit?

"Fuck." Muttered Eowyn as way of greating, nursing a cup of coffee and a plate of Costco hash browns. Truly, you spared no expense for the successful warriors of old.

"I already know it was a bad night." You groused, before wrapping your hand around the mug and cursing. You'd hit a bad spot, and burned your right… forefinger…

Damn phantom limb bullshit. You didn't even have that finger to burn anymore!

"Well, we burned the alchemists out root and branch, so outside Trompdoy getting blown to shit by a napalm trap, we did pretty good." Eowyn muttered. "So, option for you."

"Oh?"

"Trompdoy and I hauled in as our share of the loot four things. Some kind of cursed sword thing, which you can probably document and scrub up to sell; some grenades of assorted types; and most interestingly, this."

'This' turned out to be a little red stone thrumming with power, which your own machinations told you fuckall about as you stared at it with the sort of piercing gaze known to start drills and send people scattering.

"The fuck is it?" you asked, holding it up to the light. A sanguine light came out the other side, playing across your face and the table as your rotated the cabochon surface between your fingers, frowning slightly. "It's got a lot of power, but for what?"

"We have no idea." Eowyn said, shrugging. "Figure we can try and hawk it off to you, see if it'll cover rent."

"Throw in some cash for Trompdoy's medical expenses, and you could talk me into taking it."

"Great." Eowyn said, sighing. "Swing by my room when you've got the time. Also, do you mind if we replace your furniture?"

"No? I mean, why would I mind?"

"Because I found an IKEA catalog and I want a real fucking bed you cheapskate landlord."

You winced. Yeah. Might want to get on that some day. Not today, since you felt like sloshed shit, but some day.

/-/-/-/-/-
Votes

Eowyn & Trompdoy's Rent
[] Cursed Sword (Will result in a T3 Wand after spending a turn to Research)
[] 5x Alchemist Bombs (Will result in 5x T2 bombs after spending a turn to Research)
[] Strange Red Stone, 5x Mundanes (Will result in ???, which will have 25% odds per item of becoming ??? or a T5 Trinket and 50% odds of becoming 10x Demonic Stuff after spending a turn to Research)

Invite Mistletoe to your Hostel?
[] Yes (Gets Sophia the Mistletoe, a new Magical Girl. May not be able to make rent.)
[] No (No new girls added)

Build a Tool
[] Trinket
[] Wand
[] Bomb
[] No, you want to research an item instead.

A Mercenary Bond
Author's Note: Our first sidestory commission, by @Tiny_Dic.
/-/-/-/-

Sitting around the small firepit, Jacqueline studied the back of her fingers and the patchwork Familiar at her side. He'd been a loyal companion these last few months, his cat-like form and long combat claws helping her escape those damn girls again and again. Sighing, the Witch studied her fire, before pulling out a tin of beans and using her Familiar to open it. As it cooked happily on a rock, she gazed up at the stars, plotting.

"Miss me, Jacky?" a voice said from the tree line, footfalls deceptively light for their jackboots coming towards her.

"Melchie, I'm hurt." Jacqueline said, her voice all too saccharine as she sketched a four-dimensional symbol in the air, the fire extinguishing into a pellet that flew into her hand. "I could never miss a spiteful bastard who's tried to kill me, oh, at least twice now."

"I assure you, that was only in the most professional of contexts." Melchoir said, reaching into his jacket and pulling out a silver case engraved with a broken hakenkreuz. "Care for a cigarette?"

"You know me too well." Jacqueline said, moving over to accept the cancer-stick before lighting it with a puff of lightning. It was always good to remind the boys what she could do, especially a man like Melchoir Tomislav. Not many Alchemists lived to be the ripe old age of a hundred and thirty-two, and fewer still could keep their good looks doing it. Aside from blonde sideburns and a long scar that trailed away from his right eye into a white shock of hair from a long-forgotten sabre-stroke in the trenches of the Isonzo, he still looked like the dashing young man who'd started practicing alchemy back in the death spiral of the twenties. Jacqueline still had memories- not hers, of course- of watching him laugh while drinking some hell-brew next to a stack of rifles and a burning pile of reichsmarks as he celebrated some accursed deed.

Two puffs of the cigarette, and her eyes started swimming pleasantly, while the beat of Jacqueline's heart started dancing spastically. Throwing back her head to laugh into the night, she grinned madly at Melchior as her hands went numb.

"Really? I thought we were friends." she said, draping her form over his with a too-wide smile as the arsenic coursed through her veins. "Trying to kill me in such a pleasant meeting would just sour our whole relationship, you know?"

Melchoir laughed, blowing out a plume of smoke. "Would you believe me that I'd forgotten I'd poisoned the smokes? The apprentices were stealing them again, and I figure I might as well take the chance to winnow out the herd."

"Well, fortunately for you," Jacqueline said, laying down carefully to let her mortal coil expire, "I have such an adverse relationship with old man Death."

"I so forgot how you looked, m'dear." Melchoir said sincerely, bending down to kiss her flickering hand as what was left of her soul flickered through a technicolor rainbow, distorting the very air around it with the perversity it exemplified. Limbs extended and contracted, until the very expression of the Witch that was Jacqueline had snaked itself around the small clearing they were in, letting the unreality seep through the ground and bones of the earth.

"Why did you come here, anyway?" Jacqueline asked, smirking with one half of her head and sighing with the other. "It can't be because you're interested in a little dirty dancing, unless I really did steal your heart last time."

"Alas, no." Melchoir said dramatically, setting down his rifle in the grass and leaning it up against the too-tall dandelion that had bloomed behind him as tall as a sapling. "I need your help for a trade."

"Really, Melchie, just business?" Jaqueline said, sighing dramatically as a lamia's torso and too-beautiful human face formed out into an exaggerated version of her human body. "We had so much fun the last time we rolled in the hay!"

"You also tried to suck my life out of me through my dick, Jacky. I spent weeks in therapy, not counting the time it took to grow a new one after you bit it off."

Jacqueline tiffed, putting a faux-hand beneath her faux-head and snorted. "I was hungry, and you were so tasty though!"

"And you wonder why I never come to visit anymore." Melchoir muttered. "Before you keep distracting me, I do need to say what I actually need."

"You're here for what you're always here for, Melchie. A soul." Jacqueline said lazily, the curls of unreality creeping skyword until they created a laticed dome where an inverse of stars shined through. "Your law of Equivalent Exchange is so restrictive, keeping you out of your work. I know you need something still a little more possessed of intellect, of desire, of that spark of life that just dies when you turn everything into a mathematical balance beam that must come out exactly right."

"Jacky, you wound me with such lack of ambition!" Melchoir replied, standing up while lighting another cigarette. "I don't just need a soul, I need several souls- creative souls, bright souls, above all else souls with that sparkle of magic that means they can evolve ever further beyond."

"Oh, by the broken Cross, not this again." Jacqueline muttered. "Thirty-five liters of water, twenty kilograms of carbon, four liters of ammonia, one and a half kilograms of lime… start to sound familiar yet, Alchemist? An artificial human is impossible, and the last one of your ilk to try lost control and it killed him!"

"I'm smarter than Hanoch ever was, and that fat bastard never mastered making homonculi so his work is invalid." Melchoir said with a sniff. "We still don't know if he succeeded, which is the worst part. So much knowledge wasted."

"Hubris will forever be your downfall."

"And lust, therefore, unto thee."

The two stared at each other until the Bounded Field finished materializing, and with a snap they were transported. Planes stretched and slithered, coiled and folded, becoming separated and adjacent as coterminal nodes flashed into being. Physics itself went on holiday as the construction finished, Jacqueline's soul providing the teather and fabric itself of the demiplanar pocket. With a wave of her power, the mortal body that had been accidentally stopped was rewound like fine clockwork, foam and blood flying from the mouth as the poisons were purged and Jacqueline came back to rest in her prefered form.

"The topic of payment would be next to discuss, I suppose." the female form occupied by the Witch said, her words echoing out and around the fantastic landscape. "You know my prefered currency are the Westmost Ducats, but I'm apreciative of anything you would care to sweeten the pot with."

"You and I both know the Westmost Ducat has been deflating for three hundred years since the Frisians stopped minting them." Melchoir said, rolling a smooth golden coin between his fingers. "I can pay in Buffalo Dollars, and a corvee of labor from my apprentices. Well, the ones that are left anyway."

"Five thousand a soul, and two hundred hours of labor." Jacqueline said imperiously, her Familiar stalking up to her. "I require a broodmare for my poor St. Elzear here, as he has been terribly lonely."

"You know I can do that in under eighty hours of work from the apprentices, so let's cut it down to ninety." Melchoir said, smirking. "As for price per soul, I'm thinking around three thousand per."

"Why, I'll barely be breaking even on that deal!" Jacqueline said, poorly acting out a shocked expression. Really, remembering to animate one little sack of meat was kind of difficult when your consciousness- since as a Witch her soul was forfeit- was stretched over a hundred and fifty seven cubic kilometer bubble of demiplane. "Four thousand eight hundred a soul."

Melchoir winced overdramatically, picking up his rifle to sling it over his back. "You and I both know you'll end up eating one of my apprentices who fails to pay you hospitality or something, so I am obligated, obligated I say, to drive you down to three and a half thousand a soul."

"And is it not my right to deal with interlopers to my home as I see fit? Once the terms of contract are complete, they are guests in a Witch's domain, and it would behoove them to remember that."

"I'm not hearing a no…"

Flipping her hair back, Jacqueline sighed. "Four thousand even a soul, and that's as low as I'll go. A girl has needs, Melchie, and you'd best remember that."

"And to you, Jackie, I know exactly what needs those are and where you can have them fulfilled. I hear Rotterdam is quite pleasant this time of year. Still, three thousand eight hundred a soul wouldn't be that bad."

"Fine, you old graybeard. Three thousand eight hundred Buffalo Dollars a soul."

Melchoir smiled, and clapped his hands. "Excellent! I'll need ten."

Jacqueline nodded, before wincing in pain. "Oh! Good, very good. If you'll excuse me, though, I think we have us some intruders."

"Oh?" Melchoir replied. "Some poor, innocent souls?"

As a crack of explosives went off, Jacqueline winced again. "Hardly innocent, but yes. They've had me on the run for a few days I'm afraid. Their spell-weaver is incompetent, but I can't afford to make light of five of them."

"Woe betide me to not help a good friend." Melchoir said, pulling out a flask. "I'll handle it."

"Really?" Jacqueline asked, smiling. "Oh, someone's getting a present for Beltane this year. Would you rather she be fiesty, or meek?"

"Feisty. I need something to beat that isn't an investment." Melchoir said, drinking a hell-brew calmly as his form pulsed with arcane power. "Now hush, please. This will take some work."

Moving through the rolling hills of sugarsweet sand that made up the spineward part of the demiplane, it didn't take long for Melchoir to spot the girls. There were five of them, just as Jacqueline had said, spread out in a simple skirmish formation.

"You sure this is where the Witch headed?" one asked, glaring. "This doesn't feel like a full Labrynth to me."

"Damnit, of course it's a full demiplane!" another yelled. "Just look up for proof!"

Calmly, Melchoir loaded a packet of rounds into his rifle, and hauled the bolt back and forth. A regular round first, before he saw to with his limited sorcery. As the safety was clicked off, none of the girls thought they were in danger.

As the rifle cracked and the rearmost girl dressed in a ragged costume went down screaming, they were proven wrong oh so quickly. Running the bolt again, Melchoir scanned the battlefield. All the girls had found cover, meaning his first shot hadn't finished the job. Blast. Whispering words best forgotten, the barrel of the gun began to glow softly as the bullet inside soaked up an enchantment. Six left now, the Master Alchemist thought, the knowledge of how to make lead sharp as glass leaving his mind to descend back into Hell.

The worst part of fighting magical girls was the waiting. Both sides could afford to be patient, but only one of them would reliably win at a protracted and long-range duel of the fates- and it wasn't the magical girls. As a screaming golem of clay blitzed towards the dune where Melchoir was hiding, he shot it in the forehead with the finality of someone putting down a horse. A perversion of his Art, and enough to annoy him as the clay beast continued charging. Another spell, another round, and finally it was enough to dislodge the primitive helmet protecting the Name of God and the motive force of the monster. The last round was eight millimeters of lead alone, but that was enough to stop the monster in its tracks.

"They're running for the breach they made." Jacqueline said calmly over Melchoir's shoulder, her incorporeal form permeating his personal space. "I'll count that as a win."

"Pitty. Might have been a good fight." Melchoir grumbled.

"We can't win them all."

Back