Looking Glass (MLP)

I get the feeling the fan theory of him being the figure the jungle statue is of is going to happen and/or he's going to turn into a statue to get the the future the long way

I get the feeling the fan theory of him being the figure the jungle statue is of is going to happen and/or he's going to turn into a statue to get the the future the long way

...he's not in the past, though? He's in the present of an alternate universe. Turning into a statue does nothing to fix his current situation.

. . . . *ahem* re-read the post again. Maybe after you get some sleep.

...yeah, no, we've reread it like five times and it still doesn't make much sense, not even in the context of "he might have to get home in a complicated way". If the post was meant to imply that Page is gonna get sent back to the past and then have to turn himself into a statue, it was not particularly clear that that was what was meant, and if that's not the intent, then we still have no idea what turning into a statue would have to do with anything about Page's current situation. Just because something is clear and obvious to you does not mean it's equally as clear and obvious to everyone.

Given that statue is of a pony that did things in bad faith I don't think so. Plus Page is an Alicorn. He can wait out the time.
While that is an interesting theroy I still think it's a bit of a leap given the current context.
If you believe it's very obvious please point out the lines that indicates this theroy?

Given that statue is of a pony that did things in bad faith I don't think so. Plus Page is an Alicorn. He can wait out the time.
While that is an interesting theroy I still think it's a bit of a leap given the current context.
If you believe it's very obvious please point out the lines that indicates this theroy?
Less "obvious that 'he will'" And more a metric ton of foreshadowing that Page isn't going to get back home with any sort of ease. Such that, it generally brings to mind the fan theory that Page ends up time traveling and becoming that Alicorn, that isn't as bad as the expedition thought the Alicorn Thestral appeared to be. So~ with the foreshadowing, and the pre-existing fan theory, there's two interpretations for it. One, Page was that Alicorn, and is hibernating, somewhere. Two, that Page comes in after that mess, as the last of the tribe is in decline, and either the tribe, or Page's own efforts end up with him petrified, either as the statue, or is then set up as the statue in question. It is, as you say, a leap; but it is one that fits the theory to the foreshadowing.

The only thing that is obvious via context. Is that Page isn't going to get home that easily. The question that we'll be left with as a cliff hanger that'll take six plus months before we even start to get a resolution from Hiver on, is just what, and how.

Last edited:
The dream realm stretched out in all directions and I peered at the portal before me. It was dark and stormy, rippling with silver.

"Prince Page."

"Princess Luna," I said and looked back to her as she joined me.

She stepped up next to me, "There is a Nightmare in there," she said and then looked to me, "You're not helping her?"

I sighed, "...This is not my world. I would like to, but not without asking you for permission. On this world, this is your realm."

Luna frowned slightly and then nodded, "You would leave a pony in danger?"

"Hardly danger," I said and looked up at her, "Nightmares are scary, yes, but ponies managed without anypony to guard their dreams for a millenium. They are scary, yes, but not really dangerous."

Luna sighed softly, "They can be," she said quietly, "They can still kill a weak pony, an elderly or sick pony may die of fright."

"And this is a healthy baker in his twenties," I told her as I got up, "Not in danger. Would you like me to join you in the hunt?"

Nodding, Luna stepped forward, "If you would like," she said, moving into the portal.

I got up and touched my horn to the portal, following her into the dream. The dream formed around us, leaving us in a larger than life kitchen. The counters stretching up like mountains above our heads.

A earth pony with blonde mane and grey coat and with a bread cutiemark were running for his life on the floor, being chased by a massive rat the size of a dozen ponies.

I raised my eyebrow and walked up next to Luna as I watched the scene as he scrambled, just barely able to avoid the rat chasing him, "Remind me not to buy anything from his bakery," I commented.

Luna glanced at me, "Indeed," she commented and turned back, "Would you like to battle the Nightmare?"

"I would," I agreed and spread my wings, taking to the sky before I twisted through the air. It liked playing cat and mouse, huh?

I can play that too.

Wrapping the fabric of the dream around myself, forging it into a different shape before I pounced in the form of a tabby cat.

I slammed down on the Nightmare, smashing the rat to the floor, claws extended as I went for the back of the neck with my fangs.

The Nightmare let out a very rat like squeak before dissolving into sparkles and I drank them in, feeling the usual rush of energy from it.

I met the baker's eyes as he looked back at me before I tapped my paw, changing the dream around us. Everything shuddered and shifted in a ripple from my paw.

Suddenly the baker was at the right size compared to his kitchen, a different pony faced him across the counter, the unicorn holding a paper in her magic as she talked to him about health violations.

I returned to my actual form but kept the small size as I took wing and flew over to Luna, landing before her.

"An interesting change of dream," Luna said and looked up towards the two ponies, "And I can't help but notice that you made sure he will remember this part."

"Maybe it will do him good," I said and sighed, "Not the calming dream I usually leave behind, but if he really has a rat problem bad enough for a Nightmare to latch onto as a subject, this may save some ponies from getting sick in the future."

Luna turned to regard me again, "Your mastery of dream magic is quite remarkable."

I smiled at her, "I had a very good teacher," I told her and then shrugged, "Your realm is the night, the moon, the stars. Mine is… imagination. Stories. Much tighter bound to dreams than even yours are. It makes it easy for me."

"Even so," Luna said, "It's not an easy subject even for a pony skilled in it. I have known two other ponies able to use the most rudimentary dream magic from their special talents. I have never known a pony able to do it like you. Not even myself."

I shook my head, "I'm not as good as you are," I said and then smiled at her, "Not yet."

"Not yet," she agreed before she smiled, "But I do have an advantage in practice. Before I was as good as you are now it took me… hundreds of years. How long have you been practicing it?"

"Not anywhere near as long," I admitted, "My wife started to teach me before I got my wings, but even so…"

Luna nodded, "As I thought," she said before she smiled slightly, "...I wonder where the you of this world is."

I shook my head, "I'm not. I'm from a different world entirely," I told her, "I'm not sure if Midnight told you of that…"

"She did," Luna said and frowned, "And you have no idea how you ended up there?"

"No," I admitted and then shrugged my wings, "But it seems to be the split of the timeline from this one as far as we'd been able to determine."

Luna nodded, "So when we met, it really was a version of me you met."

I smiled and sighed, "This must be almost as strange to you as it is to me."

"Not so strange as for you," Luna admitted, "Just… thinking. Would you be willing to bring a message to your wife from me?"

"Of course, but at this rate you may have to loan me a postal satchel."

The question that we'll be left with as a cliff hanger that'll take six plus months before we even start to get a resolution from Hiver on, is just what, and how.

My guess is that this part of the arc will end with the attempt to open a portal to send him back bringing with it the return of the Cthuloid entity that showed up when they tried to send Midnight back the first time. Probably with Midnight and Page simultaneously exclaiming "oh not again" in a dry voice, followed by them glancing at each other and laughing before fighting the thing back to the hell it spawned from.

Why are these ponies all so eager to send messages to their alternate selves? I would be curious about an alternate self, yes, but I certainly wouldn't be sending a letter

Why are these ponies all so eager to send messages to their alternate selves? I would be curious about an alternate self, yes, but I certainly wouldn't be sending a letter
It's My Little Pony. If there is a phrase to sum up the franchise, it is "And Mistakes were made, it got better. And yes, that 'M' is capitalized." So, they're more sending "warnings" of mistakes made, so as their other can avoid them. Not really taking the time to consider if the same mistakes could occur, haven't already happened, or any other pretentious reasoning that "they know better, now." Luna, however, might be the only one to include a "I know how you feel, you are not alone." Not really getting that she's the same pony, so it's not the commiseration that she thought it would be. Luna is rather famous for being the shorter sighted of the two sisters. And given Celestia...

the MLP franchise is really confusing for something that's supposed to be for kids. Though Twilight did trigger a time paradox trying to reassure her past self, so sending letters with warnings is in character for the show. I am a touch surprised you think that this Luna would feel the need to reach out to another self when the main Luna in this fanfic has so much more support. Perhaps because this Luna is so much more isolated and lonely, making it more for herself and to trigger a sense of connection

It could also be canon Luna sending a 'I envy you for finding somepony like page.' message
its not just page but also indirectly twilight, who canon luna has expressed interrest in, sunset, in a twisted way celestia as well

afterall from what we have seen "loving" yor sibling is wrong but sharing a partner with them is very much alright

Not canon, stopped being canon as soon as Twilight was removed and the others had to find a spell to bring her back. Was she missing days? Weeks? Months?

Years?

She's been brought back, but even if you discount the changes she experienced, everyone she left behind was also changed by Twilight going missing

Not canon, stopped being canon as soon as Twilight was removed and the others had to find a spell to bring her back. Was she missing days? Weeks? Months?

Years?
WoG is time progression was 1:1 between timelines. So how ever long it's been since she showed up in Page's timeline, is how long she's been missing from her own.

So years then, as we know Midnight turned up before the thestral city was built and we have an at least three year time skip. Tons of canon events that Twilight would have triggered didn't, and canon ones would have been resolved alternately without an Element of Magic to allow the Elements of Harmony to be used.

They are so far off canon it's a good thing that Hiver doesn't need to figure out what's changed

I looked at the two blackboards covered in complicated spell calculations and diagrams before I turned to Midnight, raising one eyebrow, "I am better at this stuff than I used to be," I told her, "But I'm still at the two plus two stage. Can you explain this to me in small words?"

Midnight stuck her tongue out at me, "Basically, we almost have it," she said, "I had an idea during the negotiations that seemed to have worked."

"You did math during the negotiations?" I asked and glanced at the blackboard.

She frowned, "What did you think I was doing while nopony was talking?"

"...Okay, dumb question," I admitted. I had spent the time being bored and annoyed.

I mentally ratcheted Midnight and Twilight's estimated intelligence up another couple of notches above myself, "So what do we have?"

"If this pans out," Starlight said from across the table, a pen floating in her magic, "We might have a castable spell ready in a few days to a week."

"That's great news!" I said with a smile, "I thought it would take a lot longer!"

"If this pans out," Midnight cautioned me, "But it's looking good so far, we'll be able to go back soon."

I blinked at that, looking at her, "...You mean I will be able to go back soon."

Midnight shook her head and let out a small sigh, "Page... we're all going home. Me, You, Talon. Because he was right. This was home and it's been amazing seeing everypony again. But this isn't home anymore."

"Starlight, leave the room," I said quietly.

The unicorn almost ran for the door, closing it behind her.

Midnight looked at me as I turned fully to her, "You can't," I told her firmly.

"Can't?" she asked, one eyebrow raising, "I can't?"

"You can't come," I said and sighed, "Ponies here need you."

Midnight stepped forward, her nose almost touching mine, "Ponies? Or Bat Ponies?"

I flinched slightly and took half a step back, "...Both," I said quietly, "What if something happens, they will need the element of magic."

"But that's not what you were thinking of," she said, taking another step forward.

This time I didn't back off, "Don't make it invalid," I told her seriously, "And I might not be able to follow that entire thing," I said and nodded towards the blackboards, "But even I can follow a degrading magical stability ratio. There are only so many times you can do this trip without safely."

Midnight sighed softly and nodded, taking half a step, moving between me and the blackboard before she sat down, "We might never be able to come back here again safely."

I shook my head, "It's a bad idea," I told her seriously, "Forget the thestrals here, what if they do need your element?"

"Then another will step forward," Midnight said and looked at me, "Page, I'm the element of magic because I was in the right place at the right time with the right ponies. Not because I'm unique."

I sighed, "Fine, what about the bat ponies here, without decursing-"

"A spell any pair of alicorns can do," Midnight told me, "It's not that difficult-"

"Yes it is."

"...Okay, fine. It's relatively not that difficult," she admitted, "It just needs a lot of power behind it to burn through the blood magic. I can teach it to Cadance and Luna. And Celestia."

"Your friends," I said and shook my head, "Your family."

Midnight's ears drooped and nodded, "I will miss them," she said, "I will miss everypony here. But I'd miss everypony at home more."

I shook my head and lowered my voice, "Midnight... Tempest won't last forever," I told her quietly, "And when she's gone..."

"When she's gone," Midnight said firmly, "I will have treasured every second I had with her. And that also applies to everypony here but Cadance, Flurry, Luna and Celestia."

I rubbed my forehead with my hoof. Arguing with any of the Sparkle twins was just an effort in futility. They always had ready answers and often with supporting footnotes. And charts. Not even the lazy ones like pie charts.

But while I found it sexy in Sparks, with Midnight it was just infuriating for some reason.

Shaking my head, I frowned, "What is this coming from, you were... you came down on Talon pretty hard for wanting to go back."

Midnight sighed and then smiled sadly, "I talked to Cadance."

Princess of Love.

I see, yeah that would do it. Fucking damn it, Pink. You just had to, couldn't help yourself, could you?

"Are you sure?" I asked her quietly, "Because once we go... there might not be a safe way back again."

Midnight nodded, "I know."

"You will have to tell everypony and with me well away from any blast radius. Because I just know I will get blamed for this. Somehow."

"I know," Midnight repeated.

"For the record, I think this is a bad idea," I said before I sighed and looked away, "...But it's not my choice to make. I'll support you whatever choice you do."

Midnight got up and pulled me into a hug.

I hugged back, "...You know, if you two do go back, Talon is likely going to join the guard," I said quietly.

"...Yeah," Midnight admitted and then broke the hug to smile sadly with a small sigh, "Everypony eventually grows up. Even baby dragons."

AN// Apologies, postings will be unreliable for the next week or so as I'm moving countries.I will attempt to post regularly, but it may not be possible.

Sorry about that.

Part of the expected twist...

Why aren't they creating a mirror or an anchor...?

Something fishy is going on... Equestria Girls universe-type soon shenanigans?

Curious. Midnight is entirely correct about being replaceable of course. She is not the first to wield the Element of Magic.

Also have no idea what to make of Page's reactions

Page reacted that way because Midnight was born there. He's still who he was before Equestria and still has some longing in his heart for his world.

So he isn't sure that Midnight following her heart is the right thing to do.

At least, I think so.
He's also made it clear he wouldn't go back, even given the chance.

Maybe it's the surprise of it, because Midnight had wanted to go back, and he didn't realize she'd moved on during those years.

Rainbow Dash better never find out about this. I had made a monumental discovery and the blue pegasus better not find out about it or she'll never forgive me.

My existence had butterflied away a Daring Do book.

Daring Do and the Prancing Mummy.

What's even worse, it was pretty damn good. Might be one of her best ones actually. Yeah, she'd be pissed if she ever found out.

On the other hoof… maybe I should bring a copy for her. That'd earn me some major points, that could be useful.

If nothing else, hearth's warming present.

…Does bringing a book from a different universe and publishing it in one where the original author still exist but has not written that book specifically count as plagiarism, fanfiction or copyright?

I bet Daring Do would like one though. Bring two. One for Rainbow and one for Daring. Surely it's not piracy if Daring publishes her own book.

I turned the page and kept reading in the light of the light of my horn, the moon high in the sky outside the window.

The door suddenly opened sharply. It didn't quite slam open but it was definitely not a polite opening of doors.

Princess Celestia didn't quite storm inside, but her shoes clicked against the floor in a decidedly annoyed way, "Prince Blank Page," she said as the doors closed behind her, not quite hiding the two guards taking position outside, "We have matters to discuss."

"Oh thank Celestia," I said and closed the book and looked up at her, "Can you please talk some sense into her!"

Celestia paused and blinked at me in surprise, "What?"

I put the book down and jumped off the couch, "Midnight! She wants to come back to my world, tell her she can't!"

"You… don't want her to come?"

"No!" I said and sighed, "Damn it, I knew I would be blamed for this! No, I don't want her to come. It's too important that she stays here!"

Celestia frowned slightly, "You think so?"

I sighed and nodded, "I think so," I said and shook my head, "...It's too important. The elements need her, the… the thestrals need decursing. Her friends, her family…"

Celestia regarded me for a long moment, "She said you supported her."

Maneuver.

"I do," I sighed and stomped by hoof, "I have to, she's my friend. I want her to be happy. Her staying here… she won't be. Not at first. And a lot of ponies back home will miss her. Tempest… buck, Tempest… what the buck will I tell her..."

"Her marefriend."

Ready strike.

I nodded and shifted my wings, looking out the window, "Yes," I said, "...Damn. Tempest… that mare got knocked down when she was a little filly and life had done nothing but kick her while she was down until she met Midnight."

Celestia didn't answer for several long moments, turning to look out towards the moon before she looked at me again, "And you still wish for me to talk her into staying."

Taking a deep breath, I then let it out and walked up to stand next to her, looking up at the moon, "Yes."

"Why?"

"Because the happiness of a few ponies is nothing against the safety of a world," I told her as I looked up at the light of the moon, "Even if it's ponies I know."

"That's a cold way of viewing things."

I looked up at her with a slight smile, "It's what you taught me."

Chink in unbreakable armor, angle blade, slip through guard.

Celestia didn't quite flinch. Instead she turned her head and looked up towards the moon again.

She didn't say anything for several long moments, "Tell me about Tempest Shadow?" she finally asked.

Heart pierced.

So I did. I told her of how she joined us after the invasion. How she and Midnight got closer. How they moved in together when we moved to Nocturnis. Of her honor and sense of duty.

How life had absolutely bucked her in the face at every turn. That she had still gotten back onto her hooves and refused to back down.

Celestia mostly just listened, just asking the occasional question. Finally she nodded, "Thank you, Page," she said, "but it is getting late."

I nodded, "Good night, Princess. Sweet dreams," I said, giving her a small bow.

"Good night, Page," Celestia said quietly and left, the door closing behind her.

I took a deep breath before letting it out. It was a dangerous game to play with Celestia this way. Any Celestia. They were too damn good. But for My Ponies, I'd use any advantage I had and those included Midnight and Tempest. And the Yetis didn't call me the Prince of Lies for nothing.

Because Midnight was right. They didn't strictly need her here.

What they needed, what my bats here needed, was a point to gather around, to help gather them and in a way I didn't think even Luna could.

After this long, they wouldn't trust anypony but another bat.

So it's time I ready another weapon and ruin the life of another pony to do it.

Back