In The Grimdark of Fanfiction -40k

I have seen a fic that somehow combined wholesomeness and cosmic horror.Sometimes in single chapters

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion... I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain...

Anyway, back on topic: is the old!cron lore still available anywhere? New!crons are specifically noted to have done some time fuckery among the other stuff they did so old!cron vs new!cron could be an actual thing that happens due to time oopsie.

Last edited:
iirc Oldcron lore was just life hating pure life hating robots with origins vague at best (Might be wrong on the last part), and i do want to note that a similar flavour of oldcrons exists in newcron lore (Maynarck dynasty comes to mind)
Several flavours of Oldcrons post 5e in fact. There's the old "C'tan followers" , there's pure genocidal xenophobia, and there's even Skynet ripoff in that Tomb World ran by its administration AI

(I'm also amused by the idea of her just walking down the street and having someone walking by complimenting her on her chrome, you don't see a lot of people willing to go that far. "Shit, choom, I don't even recognize the brand, is that custom? Fucking sweet," and then trying to ask her about the specs. She's honestly kind of flattered, you don't get laypeople complimenting members of the Mechanicus back in the Imperium.)
I wonder what she would think of Exotics, and the fact that she herself would probably be considered to be one.

Congrats, it's not often I see someone make 40k seem wholesome.

Yeah, even with all of its flaws (and the Imperium, and in this case, the Mechanicus specifically), at least they try to put some meaning and spirituality in people's lives! (Which, admittedly, comes with its own massive range of problems. But at least they're different problems. Mostly.)
Well then, how would throwing Archmagos Dominus Belisarius Cawl into Cyberpunk 2077 go?

I admit, I'm not too familiar with the character's personality, but considering that he's pretty much the biggest Mechanicus named character right now, I imagine he'd be way better at forcing the planet to fit his vision. IIRC he's kind of opportunistic and rule breaking?

Which, admittedly might be an interesting story on its own, I was most interested in a character who would be fairly impressive, but definitely not setting breaking as Cawl would likely be. Like, she would definitely be taken down by a MaxTac squad or even a skilled solo/group of lucky gang members, but Cawl probably would need a much higher concentration of force. Though just seeing people react to someone who went way further than even someone like Smasher in terms of body modification might be interesting.

(Somewhat amusingly, there's a chance she'd stand a better chance against Smasher than a MaxTac squad. Mostly because Smasher might not expect one of her shots to take him down, only to get blasted by by a lascannon or melta beam.)

I wonder what she would think of Exotics, and the fact that she herself would probably be considered to be one.

I imagine it might take her a bit to realize that those are just modded humans. ("Huh, is that a felinid? I wonder how this planet ended up with some of those?")

Or possibly they're just mutants and abhumans. Unless you're a Black Templar, "human" is actually a fairly broad category in most of the Imperium.

The Mechanicus is typically a bit less focused on the sacredness of the default human form than most, but she'd probably prefer if they took a more mechanical approach. She might be a bit offended if people assumed that her appearance was just an odd aesthetic though. (Sure, she knows she looks good. Have you seen the hydraulics of the claw on one of her mechadendrites? Truly a piece of engineering made in praise of the beauty of the Omnissiah!)

But yeah. Fewer whiskers and more chrome would be her suggestion.

Idea for a Daemon:

Deep in the Immaterium, there lies a daemon, bound in service to Slaanesh. For its hubris in making light of one of Slaanesh's creations, this daemon was eternally cursed to never engage in acts of creation, only capable of observing the works of others. Still, among followers of Slaanesh, it is one of the most feared and terrifying of its kind, driving artists of all stripes to madness. Its existence serves Slaanesh's whims well, for any artist incapable of surviving its whispers is too weak to handle the struggle towards perfection that Slaanesh demands.

It is... the Critic.

"See, it's an interesting idea, but I just don't get why you used human flesh for this portrait. Yes, it's a work thematically tied to divinity and suffering, so you killed a human and skinned them, very impressive, yada yada, but you had this perfectly good Imperium produced sacred parchment right here! Do you have any idea how many menials are killed and brutalized producing this stuff? Your overall point would be much better made by using the Imperium's own materials, the juxtaposition of the sacred beauty and the suffering inflicted upon others to produce that beauty highlighted by your drawings. As it stands, you used sub-standard materials (don't give me that look, we all know human leather doesn't actually take that well to paint) for... what point, exactly? It's like you were afraid the Khornates wouldn't take you seriously if you just bought a canvas and some inks at the local stores, so you sacrificed quality in the desire to be taken seriously as an artist. Substandard, disappointing work. Stick to commercially available materials until you can move past the crutch of needing a fancy canvas to make your overall point."

I like this.
I really do.
I hope you decide upon writing at least a little for this, because, as I said, I like this a lot.

I don't have a coherent plot in mind, but I do have a few ideas on how an improvised Mechanicus mission might be run, including a few sermons that I'm rather tempted to write...

I'd read it. Sounds interesting, and I don't think it's been done before. If you do end up writing it, drop a link, will you?

Will do, if I do end up writing it.

So, speaking of the Cyberpunk idea, one thing that I considering was how, exactly, a techpriest would sermonize. It might be present in some media that I haven't seen, since 40K is a big canon, but I'm not sure how they would preach their doctrine, their ideology, in a way that's more, ah, compelling, than just going "We value machines more than people, robodongs for everybody!"

So I tried to write something that was somewhat compliant with canon, and might have some compelling factors to it (it is a religion after all), but also has a few implied questionable bits since it's still the Mechanicus and they are frequently not very nice people.

So, here is one potential scene for the story, taking place after she's established herself a bit, and is ready to begin actively spreading her message.

Eucleia was nervous. Not for any rational reason, such as Xenos, or heretics, or anything of the like. No, she nervous for petty, biological reasons, such as speaking before a crowd being the sole representative of the Mechanicus about to begin preaching the glories of the Omnissiah, and his grace on the world, and her words might impact this world's view of the Mechanicus for centuries to come, and perhaps she did have a reason to be nervous, but reminding herself of this fact was rather against the point of this self-directed pep talk in the first place.

No, the only reason she was nervous was because she was like a student at the Schola about to give a speech in front of everyone, common, base, illogical nerves, even as the Inquisitor stood by to make sure that she represented the Imperium accurately and in line with Imperial doctrine, which, as her mentor had quietly whispered, was occasionally a contradiction and its solution based on the whims of the attending Inquisitor.

Focus.

There was no need to be nervous. She hadn't been trained for the role of the minister, and the Mechanicus often preferred to preach by deeds rather than speaking to pews, but she had access to many of the files used by her superiors.

Examples of speeches used by those who knew that they were speaking to a population that hadn't been blessed with prior knowledge of the Omnissiah, speeches designed for devout worlds, speeches for worlds that perhaps needed more convincing to be devout. Samples used by radical and puritan preachers, selected as best befit the circumstances.

This planet, for all of its admirable love for technology, was downtrodden enough that perhaps a more dramatic speech was warranted. Or she'd just embarrass herself in front of her meager congregation. Or they'd shoot her. That was also an option. Most of her flock were criminals to varying degrees, after all.

She forced cold logic into her mind, meditating on the steel and circuitry embedded into her brain.

They probably wouldn't shoot her. She was promising free augmentation acclimatization drugs in exchange for attending this sermon, and even with that arguable blackmail, many of them had integrated her augmentics into their bodies.

She also wouldn't stumble her words, she could program her mouth to make the appropriate noises and her body to make the proper motions even as her mind was as petrified as a heretic facing the Emperor's angels.

She'd be fine, even if-

She closed her eye, and, no matter her training, took a deep, organic breath that, despite not actually achieving anything due to the status of her lungs, still managed to mentally center herself.

Her congregation was waiting, and she needed to speak to them before she overloaded her own circuits with worry.

She opened the door of the decrepit church and walked to her lectern, not looking to the crowd. If she'd had the spotlights installed, she wouldn't even be able to see the crowd, but as it was, the church was depressingly empty.

It wasn't a large church, certainly not by the standards of the Imperium, but it was, when all the pews were intact, designed to house a couple hundred people, and before her was a meager few dozen.

Well, perhaps if she failed horribly, the consequences wouldn't actually be that dramatic after all.

She stood behind the lectern, and resisted the urge to swallow, and began her sermon.

"Praise unto the Omnissiah."

There was confusion among the crowd, and she internally winced. Right. Use their Low Gothic variant, not binary. Go into the preprogrammed speech.

"Praise unto the Omnissiah, chooms."

The reaction to this wasn't much better, with a few openly contemptuous expressions. Was that word not used properly? Get into the speech, extracting all variants of that word.

"Most have heard me speak of the Omnissiah, of his blessings, of his grace, but I know that many of you do not know what the Omnissiah is. What his grace is, and how his blessings manifest on the world."

"The Omnissiah is the Machine God, whose blessings shine through every piece of machinery, every piece of hardware, and indeed, progress, that humanity has made."

Xenos and heretics could be covered in a different sermon.

"But, you may ask, what does that mean, and what does the Mechanicus believe?"

"The Mechanicus believes in abandoning the frailties and weaknesses of the flesh, and embracing the cold purity of the machine. There are those who would say that those among you who have chrome, who have augmentations, have abandoned your biological humanity. I would say, they are correct."

People were no longer bored.

"Humans, by birth, are flawed and mortal creatures. We are born with flaws and impurities of spirit and of flesh. Of flesh it is obvious. Not all bodies are born equal. Some, whose only misfortune was to be born to parents who lived their lives in the factories, are born mutated and deformed, crippled from the womb and scorned by society for sins not their own." Not all mutations were of Chaos, after all. "Some are born with maimed arms or legs, and deemed a burden by society unwilling to care for them. Some," she held up a metal hand, examining it, "Are born with bodies that feel fundamentally wrong, a soul that knows the flesh is wrong, that feels alien to themselves, unnatural. The purity of the machine can solve all such worries, fixing what woes the 'purity' of flesh inflicted upon them. Some may look upon you, with industrial tools built into your bodies, as lesser, while I view you as having surpassed your limitations, the Machine God blessing you with the ability to go beyond the weaknesses of your mortal forms, and touch upon the divinity of steel."

While a controversial figure, Magos Reinheld was a respected orator, whose controversial statements were largely backed by theological writings, even if the places they took them weren't always comfortable or in line with conventional doctrine. Despite this, they were known to resonate with a number of feral worlds more than things that would normally be heard in an established temple. Parts of his speeches, anyway.

"The second is the frailty of spirit. Humans, for all their sacred potential, are born as beasts. It is human nature to strife amongst themselves. It is the nature of our biological heritage to act as animals waving clubs, chasing each other from our caves and the meager fruits and berries we've managed to collect. We are base creatures, born to live, and little else. It is through the great machine, that crafted engine of society, that we find purpose. Meaning. Function beyond ourselves and our families, single parts of a greater whole. As we augment our flesh with the purity of steel, so too do we augment our minds with the gifts of the machine of society."

Some irritation in the crowd. Understandable, since most of these people had little fondness for the faithless society that they were raised in. Well within expected parameters, but best addressed quickly. "Yes, it is the view of the Mechanicus that you are all as cogs in the machine. Nothing more, and," she held up her necklace and badge of office, the Cog symbol of the Mechanicus displayed for all to see, "nothing less."

"You," she pointed to a face in the crowd, seemingly at random, but she'd have likely had to do some hasty improvisation if he had decided not to actually attend. "What is your profession?"

It took a few seconds for him to respond as he glanced around himself to confirm that he was the one being spoken to, "I, uh, I'm a dock worker."

"A simple job. A menial job. You lift boxes, and move them from place to place, correct?"

A scowl on his face. "Yeah, that's right." He looked about ready to start something, so she hurried on.

"Could I, with my superior augmentations, be your equal at your profession if I were to start tomorrow?"

"Fuck no."

"Correct." The man seemed a bit unready for that answer, but less so than she was hoping. "I could not, for all that it is seemingly a simple job for menials, that many think is a terribly easy task, hope to match you. You know a thousand little details about your job that I wouldn't know. You know which coworkers are reliable, you know where everything goes, you know the regulations," the speech she was taking from also mentioned knowing which regulations were to be ignored, but she pointedly ignored that, "which forklifts are properly maintained, and any number of other details and subtle efficiencies that are instinctive to you but foreign to myself. You have expertise."

The man still seemed a bit unbalanced, and hadn't quite processed that statement as a compliment yet, but she continued. "Does your supervisor care?"

"Sorry?"

"I am physically stronger and faster than yourself, by a substantial degree. Would your supervisor care at all about your learned experiences if I were to try to take your job?"

He had a conflicted look on his face, but she didn't let him answer. "He wouldn't care. He views you as a replaceable cog in the machine. If he made you work until you broke, he'd get a new cog. Any inefficiency as the new employee learned the systems and tried to replace you would be blamed on any but your supervisor. Machines are to be used until broken. Now, any who have been under my ministrations know my feelings about proper care and maintenance of your augmentics," a few weak chuckles from the crowd, "but why should people be any different? Treated worse than the machines you are trained to handle? In the machine of your workplace, you are cogs, yes, parts of a greater whole, but you are still valued components. Your experiences, knowledge, and expertise, all worked together to fulfill its purpose to the most efficient level."

"The Mechanicus desires the perfection of the machine for society. But while each of you are replaceable cogs, your replacements don't quite fit. There are inefficiencies, as your replacement cogs are shoved into place, hoping that the mechanisms will grind them into functioning properly, and if not, even your replacements will be replaced, and no thought will be given to maintaining each of the cogs. A thousand grinding inefficiencies, as replacement is treated as more efficient than simple maintenance, to treat the machine spirit with respect. Every bolt, every screw, serves the greater machine, and we do not want substandard parts in this machine. We want your skills, your expertise, whatever contributions you can make towards advancing the perfect machine that is our society, and that requires acknowledging and maintaining the health of even the smallest of components. That is the spirit with which I speak of the Mechanicus, and why I come before you today. Praise the Omnissiah!"

Nobody joined her in her prayer, but some looked as if they were vaguely tempted, which she counted as a success.

It had only taken a few slight changes to the script. Much of the speech was derived from Reinheld's arguments that slaves shouldn't be replaced by servitors, but she suspected that the crowd wouldn't appreciate that interesting bit of trivia.

Hi, I'm a newbie to the franchise. I've an idea for a story I'm a bit embarrassed to share in full when I haven't fully plotted it out. But the first question is: how powerful is Chaos Undivided, exactly?

As I understand, distributing worship between all four Chaos Gods doesn't confer the full advantages of sole worship, but would the advantage of retaining (most of) your sanity be worth it to a fallen Space Marine? Also, would the Chaos Gods being fickle screw with you more often than not if you're really making headway into actually accomplishing something with Chaos?

I see. Next two questions,

1) If Chaos Undivided Marines are roughly as powered as normal Chaos Marines, even if less specialized, does the retained sanity/intelligence make them a more dangerous foe than normal Chaos Marines?

2) Has there been any instances of cooperation between the Sisters of Battle? In books or in miscellaneous materials.

I see. Next two questions,

1) If Chaos Undivided Marines are roughly as powered as normal Chaos Marines, even if less specialized, does the retained sanity/intelligence make them a more dangerous foe than normal Chaos Marines?

2) Has there been any instances of cooperation between the Sisters of Battle? In books or in miscellaneous materials.
chaos undivided marines *are* normal chaos marines. neither undivided or monogod is more or less insane or intelligent. Sisters of Battle cooperatie witheach other and other imperial armies al lthe time. They are one of the imperial armies less likely to work along side non-imperials and would probably not work alongside chaos even if they where both about to be eaten by tyranids but they might if both commanders where unsually diplomatic sorts

chaos undivided marines *are* normal chaos marines. neither undivided or monogod is more or less insane or intelligent. Sisters of Battle cooperatie witheach other and other imperial armies al lthe time. They are one of the imperial armies less likely to work along side non-imperials and would probably not work alongside chaos even if they where both about to be eaten by tyranids but they might if both commanders where unsually diplomatic sorts

I see. Idk, the way Chaos Marines are sometimes described, it seemed as though Chaos in advanced stages makes Chaos Marines seem... not as effective, that's my misconception. The Emperor's Children, World Eaters or Khorne worshippers, etc.

Oh, and I'm not writing about a team-up between Chaos Marines and the Sisters of Battle. I'll be back to do a short write-up about my story idea later, but in the meantime please watch these WH40k videos which crack me up. I understand Alex Jones is a blight upon this earth, but some of the stuff he says about conspiracies, demonic possession, interdimensional beings, seditious traitors, and general incoherent yelling fit so well in Warhammer 40k, it cracks me up every time.

View: https://youtu.be/Deqxf25kFTs

View: https://youtu.be/134X7MJAKp0
Alex Jones/ Nurgle: "I invented cancer."
"How?"
"I just did it. Doesn't matter."

**MASSIVE VOLUME WARNING FOR THE FOLLOWING**

View: https://youtu.be/PBCGIogTWv0

Last edited:
So, with a disclaimer that I am a newbie and I don't know all the lore aside, the outline of a plot I have surrounds Miriael, the one fallen Sister, as the antagonist. She leads a legion of Daemons and Chaos Undivided Chaos Marines to wage war against a civilized world.

The Sisters of Battle are called up, "Avengers Assemble" style to lead the hunt to kill Miriael and liberate the planet. But the usually infallible faith of the Sisters is tested as they fight the one Sister who fell to Chaos. So the war is hampered in part by the Orders trying too hard to prove their own faith, or in the case of the Order of the Martyred Lady, making up for the shame of their own Sister falling. The other is the terror and self-censorship of the planet's military forces they're aiding due to fearing how "Sororitas patrols execute anyone who expresses doubt in the security of the Imperium." This won't be a treatise on faith or anything, but I suppose there could be some exploring the faith of Sisters as they wrestle with the mere possibility any Sister could fall.

That's really all I got so far, since this isn't a main project.

I guess it is possible (and likely) they might use the 'No True Scotsman' fallacy to say Miriael was never a real Sister anyway since she fell, in that case the whole plot kinda falls apart. :(

It had only taken a few slight changes to the script. Much of the speech was derived from Reinheld's arguments that slaves shouldn't be replaced by servitors, but she suspected that the crowd wouldn't appreciate that interesting bit of trivia.
Oh good, it's still got some of the 40k grimderp there so we don't forget.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried a fanfic where the emperor gets a vision of 40k before Erda yeets the kids into the galaxy? or before he starts the great crusade?

be interesting to see what people would think he would do when actually has his pieces in place from the start and preknowledge.

Oh good, it's still got some of the 40k grimderp there so we don't forget.

(Sorry for the delay in responding, meant to do it earlier, got distracted, forgot.)

Being entirely honest, I had considered whether or not to include that line, and might even remove it if the story ever expanded. I did want to emphasize that, while she is in some ways better than the Cyberpunk world, the Imperium is still pretty bad. It's just bad in (mostly) different ways. So I wanted to include some undertones that were unfortunate (hints that she considers them valuable largely for their function to society), while still valuing them as individuals more than the corporations do. So I was wondering if the slave line might have been a bit too far in the "blatantly evil" direction (even though it's perfectly lore accurate). But it was kind of funny for an inspirational speech to have its origins in "Actually, slaves have brains, so it's better to have slaves than mindless automatons," so I just left it in.

On an unrelated note, for the hell of it, I decided to write up a homebrew Sisters of Battle faction, which would be a faction in one story I've been bouncing around in my head.

Order of the Blessed Vial

Colors: Red with white highlights.

Emblem: Two crossed syringes.

"It's not your blood! It's not your god's blood! It's not even my blood! It's the Emperor's blood, he's just keeping it in my body!"

"My apologies for Sister Clarice. We've been having a hard time balancing her dosage."

A militant offshoot of the Sister's Hospitaller, specializing in combat stimulants and melee weapons, with a particular animosity towards followers of Nurgle and Khorne.

On a nameless, largely insignificant planet, a Khornate warband landed. While some of the PDF proved their valor, most of whom were the ones selected to eventually join the Imperial Guard, many of them broke and ran under the cultist's assault, and the planet was held to be doomed.

Many areas broke without even fighting, and the battle lines were scattered and disorganized due to the rapid routes. At one such area, a large field hospital suddenly found itself in the middle of the battlelines. One Sister Allison, a Hospitaller, was attending to those in the tent.

With reports that Chimeras were on the way to help evacuate the wounded, it was decided that the few troops available, including whatever wounded soldiers were able to hold a laspistol, even if they to be carried to fixed positions, would hold the line.

The heretics attacked several times, and were barely repulsed, each attack stripping them of some few defenders.

Despite wanting to focus on treating the wounded, it soon became apparent that they would not be able to hold the position long without her aid, Sister Allison decided to join the fighting. While she was inexperienced on the battlefield, there was a large surplus of medical supplies available, and so she took far more than the recommended dose of combat stimulants, as well as the sword of one wounded guardsman, and met the enemy.

The favor of the Emperor was with her, and she killed dozens of heretics over the course of hours, their madness more than matched by her zeal and fury, and soon more scattered PDF troopers managed to find their way to the field hospital, making it the only surviving loyalist force for kilometers around.

Eventually, the leader of the warband, a fallen Astartes, arrived to the battlefield.

She met him in battle, and somehow, in her sheer rage, met his axe with her own blade six times before her sword shattered. When her sword broke, she charged him, shattering her teeth on his ceramite armor. Tragically, even this zeal was not enough, and after shoving her away, the traitor Astartes was able to cut through her neck with a single sweep of his axe.

However, so struck by her fury, some memory of honor was awoken in his body, as he told the surviving loyalists that while he would claim her skull, they could take the rest of her body for whatever rites they deemed appropriate.

He told them to share the story of Sister Allison, that perhaps they might be inspired by her tale and provide his forces something like an actual battle.

He underestimated the effect her tale would have, however, as when her corpse was brought to her sisters, it was determined that she had been on so many combat stimulants that her heart had exploded in her chest, and still she fought for some time after that.

Declaring it a miracle of the Emperor and that Allison was clearly a Saint, many of the disarrayed PDF were rallied, and more held their ground with fury and fervor, long enough for a detachment of Astartes from the White Scars to arrive on the planet. The chaos of the battle lines proved to be in their favor, the sheer mobility of the Astartes proving sufficient to dismantle many scattered groupings of heretics before they even knew they were under attack.

Soon, the planet was liberated, but not all was well. The leader of the Chaos Warband retreated to the Warp, taking with him but a single skull as a trophy, one whose teeth he replaced with brass.

Many of the Sisters Hospitaller on the planet embraced a more militant path, choosing to follow the path of Sister Allison, and became the Order of the Sacred Vial.

These Sisters have three priorities

The first of which is the defense of all places of healing within the Imperium, and they frequently take roles escorting medics or evacuating the wounded. Their defense of hospitals has earned them a mutual enmity with followers of the Plaguefather, as he wishes to taint all such places with his perverse blessings.

The second is the usage and refinement of combat stimulants. The sheer, blind fury of Sister Allison is held to be a sacred ideal by their Order, and they seek to emulate it and follow into her footsteps. Each member of the Order seeks to create a cocktail of drugs and stimulants that is most effective for themselves on the battlefield. While some seek blind fury with the Emperor's name on their lips, many prefer mixes that boost their focus, or maintain a cool and level head even under the most extreme of circumstances.

The third is, of course, to hunt down the skull of their blessed Saint, and reclaim it in the Emperor's name. Whenever they are not called upon to defend places of healing, they hunt the followers of the Blood God, seeking to find the one who stole her skull to claim their vengeance upon him.

There are rumors that this state of affairs is to the approval of Khorne, as these berserkers of the Emperor hunt and do battle with his followers, spilling blood and matching the fury of his own forces. There are even rumors that it was no blessing of the Emperor that allowed Sister Allison to face the forces of the Blood God. That he so approved of her fury that he granted her his blessings even as she cut down his followers. And, of course, that a certain Chaos Astartes listens to the whispers of a brass-toothed skull as it whispers of conflicts and ways to spill ever more blood.

These rumors are, of course, both hearsay and heresy, and would inspire furious retribution by members of the Sacred Vial, should they ever be whispered in their presence.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried a fanfic where the emperor gets a vision of 40k before Erda yeets the kids into the galaxy? or before he starts the great crusade?

be interesting to see what people would think he would do when actually has his pieces in place from the start and preknowledge.
Knowing him there's a fair chance he'd double down on the nonsense that got him stuck on the throne instead of trying something else.

So, I've been thinking of doing an Ordertide setting, where reality suffers a bit of a breakdown, resulting in several 40K Quest settings being merged, specifically Deus Ex Mechanicus, Glory or Death, From the Brink, and perhaps a few others. War of the Krork is a definite no, for the simple fact that the setting has been mostly eaten by the various Monsters roaming about, but a number of others are potentially viable. I'm open to suggestions, to be sure. I suppose if we stretch it to Roleplay in general, TTS is a potential option, though it's not really a tonal match, and there'd probably be some major friction as one version of the Emperor has a Text To Speech Device and the others don't, and the High Lords are likely to have some issues with the amount of power an Emps able to actually pass down orders would cost them. A contribution from Railguns and Pulse Rifles might make more sense, or perhaps borrowing a bit from Long Night.

There are number of things to hash out. For one, should this be an ISOT thing, where chunks of the galaxy are effectively replaced, or if they fuse into a sort of Super Milky Way. The latter would have, for example 3 Terras situated right next to each other, with the three Emperors cooperating on the Astronomicon, sympathetic links from being effectively the same person allowing for a 'greater than the sum of their parts' effect akin to the Grey Knights anti-Daemon aura getting stronger as their numbers increase, so they're somewhat better off than in canon. Contrasting this, the three Abaddons are quite likely to have at least a brief period where they fight each other over who is the Warmaster of Chaos, with something similar occurring with Huron in the Maelstrom and the three Vects in Commoragh(though Brink's is roughly 75% eaten by a Daemon Primarch-led Chaos Incursion, and is likely to be taken out early) are... unlikely to work together in any real capacity. Combined with Callamus(DEM) being, frankly, massively overpowered for what is ostensibly a singular Forgeworld, and the Imperium should start racking up some serious wins, especially since neither version brings in anything from outside the galaxy, meaning the Tyranids don't get tripled, and while the Imperium is having some serious issues in each of the three Quests, it is entirely possible to win the day at this point. The Necrons and Eldar are already assisting against the Tyranids in the Deus setting, and with their contributing forces tripled in number, they should also see some major improvements to their situations.

Chaos!Aramus from Glory and Loyal!Aramus from Brink are likely to get into a fistfight sooner or later, because of course they are, the Warp would facilitate it even if nobody was interested in that fight. Leman came back in Glory, but he didn't when Magnus destroyed Fenris in Brink, and the latter version of Bjorn holds it against him. That should be an interesting conversation, eh? Though I expect the really interesting bits to be between the different versions of Emps, comparing the leadup to their current situation, and who would likely see the major points of divergence first.

Back