Yeah, I gave up on that. WMW was fun for a while but then it started getting stupid with the MC constantly being depowered and a lot of coincidental nonsense falling into his hands. Unfortunately, it took a huge dive for me just about after I started the quest. Couldn't really bring myself to continue it at that point.

If I'm gonna write Xianxia then its probabbly better to do it in a world of my making rather than an already established one.

Thanks for helping!! :D

You're welcome. It's nice that my normally useless knowledge gets to be put to some kind of use.

As for whether it's outdated or not, I don't plan to pay attention to such things. This is a fantasy world based loosley on ancient china after all, not actual ancient china. Think we can give those sorts of mistakes a pass.

I mean, you could argue that for literally anything, including the forms of address and the points thing. But you're the writer, so the line's wherever you draw it.

If I just didn't read that Naruto System novel that sucked I would choose Naruto System.

I really need to finish my Xianxia Quest mechanics before summer.With hard numbers and biggatons and FTL speeds and Daos and calculations and cultivation techniques... it will be hard.
Yeah, that's what spawned this idea. I can't believe I actually managed to finish that thing. What a shit ending it had. I'm hoping to do better, though it does provide so good reference material.

I was going to go with the Naruto system only for this but I let the idea fester and grow for too long lol. It might still be the Naruto system but I also have unused plans for an original cultivation system so that could be fun too.

What are you referring to?

A token might be better. I only went with points since it seems to be the main system in almost every story I've read. They always have some emblem that records the stored points like a credit card. You're probably right about modern concepts coloring things.

In my experience, that's because your average xianxia writer doesn't want there to be anything in the setting that could possibly be a legitimate inconvenience to their PC (which is different from a legitimate threat, though that's something a lot of them seem to avoid like the plague, too), and having to carry around actual money or some other physical means of exchange for cool sh*t would make it harder for them to throw around absurd sums of whatever the means of exchange is like it's nothing to show up/impress everyone wherever possible. It's why there's always some kind of Bag of Holding for all their loot, too. God forbid he should actually have to make a choice about whether it's actually a good idea to loot everything even slightly valuable, after all.

Last edited:
Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by Hangwind on Mar 1, 2018 at 7:49 PM, finished with 33 posts and 25 votes.

[X][System] Supreme CultivationSystem.
The Naruto system novel really soured my taste towards it. It also is to small scale for xianxia if you ask me.

The Naruto system novel really soured my taste towards it. It also is to small scale for xianxia if you ask me.

That should just make you want to make a good one, IMO. If you let a sh*tty web novel ruin the concept for you, you've let it win.

Give up on giving up!

[X][System] Naruto System.
Adhoc vote count started by SouvikKundu on Mar 1, 2018 at 9:55 PM, finished with 41 posts and 29 votes.

It's time to walk the path of the Act Tough King! When Yours Truly was acting tough, you were still in diapers!

[X][System] Supreme Cultivation System.

From now on we will refer to ourselves as Yours Truly.

[X][System] Naruto System.
Because I can't say no to the option that gives us all seeing god eyes, and the ability to beat a guy to death with our own spine.

To draw more attention to the amazing SUPREME CULTIVATION SYSTEM!!!! may I humbly present these links:

https://www.webnovel.com/book/8102217006003305/22924943704514650/Ultimate-Scheming-System/Fleeing-After-Acting-Tough-Is-Damned-Exhilarating-------
Title: Ultimate Scheming System
"Life and death bore me and I do whatever I deem fit."
The Strongest System

Title: The Strongest System, 最强的系统, Zui Qiang De Xi Tong
"A domineering life of swag and awesomeness, needs no explanation."

History's Number 1 Founder - Novel Updates

Title: History's Number One Founder
"System main quest: Ling Feng creates a school, establishing history's number 1 sect, Ling Feng himself becoming the number 1 founder."

Last edited:
Don't ask and don't read.
It sucked so hard that it sucked some of my enthusiasm for original Naruto as well.

I got two chapters in and the alarms were blaring like a goddamn bombing raid was about to hit the entire time. I've read enough Naruto fanfiction that I can guess exactly where this is going. I see cultural barriers don't change some things at all. It's almost kind of refreshing to know that it's not something uniquely terrible about the English-speaking world and is in fact endemic to the entire internet population.

But if that was enough to turn me off to the idea, I'd have quit the entire fandom a long, long time ago.

Incidentally, since there's no way it's going to win, how would martial arts like Rokushiki work in a Xianxia setting?

What are you referring to?

In a different world with naruto system.

In my experience, that's because your average xianxia writer doesn't want there to be anything in the setting that could possibly be a legitimate inconvenience to their PC (which is different from a legitimate threat, though that's something a lot of them seem to avoid like the plague, too), and having to carry around actual money or some other physical means of exchange for cool sh*t would make it harder for them to throw around absurd sums of whatever the means of exchange is like it's nothing to show up/impress everyone wherever possible. It's why there's always some kind of Bag of Holding for all their loot, too. God forbid he should actually have to make a choice about whether it's actually a good idea to loot everything even slightly valuable, after all.

Lol that's true I suppose. But at the same time it's a good idea. Look at Library of Heavens path, it doesn't have such asystem yet I'm always flabbergasted when the MC is paid something like a mountain of coins or crystals. Seems a bit cumbersome.

For this I'll def be having interspatial items, though the won't be around for a while. Currency will also come in the usual forms of coins, bars/slates and then crystals.

Naruto is certainly small scale for most Xianxia. It works great for the early stages where people are usually just a bit over the 'super' line but quickly falls off when the scales get ramped up. If it wins then I'll certainly have to limit the capabilities of late game cultivators in this. Short of the reaching the Sage of Six Path's level of power, the MC would be too underpowered for late game stuff in most Xianxia.

Incidentally, since there's no way it's going to win, how would martial arts like Rokushiki work in a Xianxia setting?

I think they would fit in well for the low fantasy type stories. They basically boil down to special movement, defense and offense techniques. Not a single move is too far out of the bounds of most Xianxia. They're also less flashy and more efficient than some moves I've seen in other stories and can be easily improved as the user gets stronger.

Lol that's true I suppose. But at the same time it's a good idea. Look at Library of Heavens path, it doesn't have such asystem yet I'm always flabbergasted when the MC is paid something like a mountain of coins or crystals. Seems a bit cumbersome.

That's because of inflation. Not the normal economic kind, but the kind where the author dumps big piles of coins and such right away to show how valuable the protag's bullsh*t swag and loot pulled from corpses is. But then you have to go up from there, so either you use the magic credit card or the MC ends up with enough gold, gems and magic crystals to build a new island out of them.

Naruto is certainly small scale for most Xianxia. It works great for the early stages where people are usually just a bit over the 'super' line but quickly falls off when the scales get ramped up. If it wins then I'll certainly have to limit the capabilities of late game cultivators in this. Short of the reaching the Sage of Six Path's level of power, the MC would be too underpowered for late game stuff in most Xianxia.

I mean, you could just say that most cultivators in this setting become like Human Bijuus once they reach a certain level of power or something, or that to reach the true heights of cultivation requires becoming a Sage and then going from there. And the endpoint is stuff like the Sage of Six Paths, or just the Ōtsutsuki in general. Hell, Truth-Seeking Orbs alone are so versatile you could have at least a dozen different guys using them without any overlap in their fighting styles.

That said, being able to sink continents is really only below-average as an endpoint for Xianxia, IMO; honestly, I think our view on it just tends to get skewed by the really crazy stuff that often sticks out to us far more and thus becomes emblematic of the genre in our minds. The ones where you train for literal millions of years at a time and casually eradicate galaxies as an opening move are not the typical ones, just the ones that become memorable due to how ludicrous they are (and how several of them are often the ones recommended to people as "gateways" into the genre). In fact, I'd say the ones that have a better grasp on when the constant escalation just starts to wear thin are usually the much better ones.

I think they would fit in well for the low fantasy type stories. They basically boil down to special movement, defense and offense techniques. Not a single move is too far out of the bounds of most Xianxia. They're also less flashy and more efficient than some moves I've seen in other stories and can be easily improved as the user gets stronger.

I actually meant what the fluff for them would be, and what kinds of cultivators would tend to practice them. Also what they'd be called, since the names are both Japanese and don't always sound setting-appropriate if translated. "Shigan," for example, means "Finger Gun."

Last edited:
Back