Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
"That's enough teasing for now, I think," She announced without the meekness of mere moments before.
A trifling victory, but a victory nonetheless.
Yes, but they aren't an Outsider pretending to be a pony and you know it.

I huffed and fixed my eyes firmly on breakfast, trying to avoid looking at Voice as much as possible.
The sin is not in being outmatched, but in failing to recognize it.
I instinctually turned to see Voice's reply, and instantly regretted it. She was still in maid mode. I looked away almost immediately, but the sight was still seared into my brain.
The horror...
"As you have said," Raven continued, "your employer's behavior is utterly unacceptable, and she is no longer under consideration.
This one has become vestigial, useless.
I was already close to finding whatever ponies had rejected her from Celestia's School and setting them on fire.
Driving out corruption is an endless battle, but one that must be fought.

Sadly, if Sunset tried to challenge them legally, Celestia would probably bounce it down to a lower court so ponies didn't think she was just siding with her adoptive daughter even though Sunset would totally be right.

That won't save them.

Imagining Voice in a lawyer and medium outfit saying she's ready to help Sunset's case by channeling the spirits of the victims or whipping the defense.

I'm suddenly imagining Raven standing there an hour later looking just done with this meeting but too afraid to leave the pair unsupervised.
Raven: "I was just supposed to set her up with the dressmaker not spend half the day supervising a playdate. I'm going to be so behind on my schedule. Maybe I can leave them be for a little while."
*Hears the pair start discussing another distressingly dangerous idea*
Raven: "Or I could stay here and make sure they don't destroy the castle. That would make for even more schedule delays."

The earlier excitement was back, but had transformed from a one-off jolt into sustained tingling that made me feel as though my fur should be standing on end with my mane a mess. Holding still for measurements would be miserable.

I have a feeling that would be one hyperactive playdate, considering just being near Flighty is giving Sunset a 'sugar rush'.

Also the song portion of this chapter was really nice.

Last edited:
I hadn't sensed any such spell last night, but I had been too overwhelmed to sense much of anything aside from the lov—magic itself.
I think this is the first real solid piece of evidence that Sunest isn't exactly dense, she's just in denial.

She's invested in the idea that Celestia doesn't love her. Giving that up is going to be an effort.

However, my heartbeat and sympathetic nervous system seemed intent on acting like I was in serious danger, and should be fleeing instead of eating. I was guessing my instincts assumed that a threat trying to hide itself meant an ambush predator, and I should flee to the safety of a group before it pounced
She really, really needs that lecture from Cadance.

I would be quite happy to do anything you told me to — at least, in a few more years so that you know what you're getting into, and so your mother doesn't try to throw me at the Sun."
And She agrees!

Also, cool that Voice's lines aren't bolded anymore. I kept trying to emphasise them and messing my internal voice.

Also also, I'm not into the FiM fandom, are heartsongs like, actually canon?

Extremely unlikely. Celestia is doing everything she can (without just abandoning the entire country she runs) to convince Sunset of her sincerity. Putting mine control in her necklace would be entirely counterproductive.

Only if the mind control doesn't work!

On the other hand, slipping a cursed amulet past an archmage who does things like inventing a new teleport spell that can bypass the wards on the throne room on the spot when she notices she's going to have to walk past a crowd of annoying reporters is not "Plan A" material. Nor even Plan B.

On the third hand, Celestia is probably on Plan S or something at this point, so maybe.

Only if the mind control doesn't work!

On the other hand, slipping a cursed amulet past an archmage who does things like inventing a new teleport spell that can bypass the wards on the throne room on the spot when she notices she's going to have to walk past a crowd of annoying reporters is not "Plan A" material. Nor even Plan B.

On the third hand, Celestia is probably on Plan S or something at this point, so maybe.

Soon enough Plan S will stand for "Sunset", reserved only in cases where someone is selectively but completely detached from the reality of what is happening.

Eldritch beings able to hide, and hide well at that, among the populace is a good reason for terror

it's the other ones that keep having stray tentacles poke out of their coats that get caught

Back