Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Have this to tide ye over while I'm busy. Someday I'll compile all these bloopers into a bigger threadmarked post.

Chapter 15 Bloopers: Not Safe At Work

"Honestly, my skill with ropes is much more basic in comparison," Silver admitted. "It works, but that's just understanding body mechanics, force propagation, tension, and material tolerances. Rope is another way I can apply my Special Talent, but it's not one of the reasons wire is my Talent, you know? It's just something I'm good at rather than what I truly love.

At that, it seemed like the guard who had whispered earlier was now intent on being included in the ongoing conversation rather than silently eavesdropping as normal.

"I'm sure that's not how you felt about the mare you brought home during the Celebration, Miss Silvertongue!" called the far guard, her words slightly muffled by virtue of needing to take the long way around Celestia's privacy bubble.

Silver Needle twitched, and she colored with understandable rage at having her lecture interrupted by inane commentary. What did some random mare have to do with this? Silver soon glared over my shoulder, apparently not caring that the far side of the room was blurred so much as to be unrecognizable.

"Celestia help me, I will slice your mattress to shreds, Garden!"

"What, and make me sleep on the floor?" came the answering call from 'Garden.' "I was under the impression that would be a bit extreme even for you."

Silver produced a screech of rage akin to the whistling of winds through a small space. Behind her, the guard she'd summoned as her replacement only halfway managed to cover his snickering. I couldn't help but feel a little irked by the presence of amusement rather than disapproval. So it was fine when other ponies reacted with anger upon provocation, but not when I did it?

I knew why, of course. As Celestia's student, it was understood that I would be held to a higher standard, unfair or not. At least I was able to see that Silver wasn't one of those ponies who would disguise their displeasure behind a forgiving act they didn't actually feel.

Although, now that I was thinking about it, there might be additional reasons that Silver's rage was better received than my own. Her choice of threats, for example: Silver threatened to destroy Garden's property, but did not threaten Garden or any objects that she was likely to be emotionally attached to. Additionally, a mattress would be expensive to replace and therefore something that Silver wasn't truly willing to destroy, possibly making it clear that the displeasure underlying her threat should be noted but not taken literally.

Corporal Silver Needle finally huffed and turned her attention back to me rather than trying to engage further.

"Please ignore my horrible pixie of a roommate," Silver grumbled. "She doesn't understand that there is a time and a place for her brand of humor, and it isn't here."

Garden wisely remained silent.

Last edited:
Two friends being "violent" at each other =/= The personal protege of the absolute ruler being violent at someone who has no way to fight back.

Someone needs to explain comedy to Sunset, and why punch up/punch down is such an important distinction.

I can't believe i am saying this, but...
This looks like a job for Pinkie Pie. :V

Last edited:
Such construct does not scale well.
With a millennium of consistent rulings from the same monarch, it really should. If she was only contacted for cases where her precedent was contradictory or unclear, she shouldn't need to rule directly on cases more than once a month.

...She'd probably want to deliberately review more cases than that to ensure her subordinates aren't deliberately misconstruing her precedent, but that should still amount to two or three cases and ten to fifteen hours a week, not most of her time.

Such construct does not scale well.
It obviously has. It works so long as Celestia is very consistent with her rulings and that they are all well recorded. With a thousand years of president at this point Equestria likely has tighter and more consistent case law then america.

Edit: Ninja

Last edited:
Two friends being "violent" at each other =/= The personal protege of the absolute ruler being violent at someone who has no way to fight back.

Someone needs to explain comedy to Sunset, and why punch up/punch down is such an important distinction.

I can't believe i am saying this, but...
This looks like a job for Pinkie Pie. :V
On the bright side, by the time Pinkamina is no longer a rock farmer and has sufficient party pony proficiency to properly explain humor, Sunset might actually be capable of not misunderstanding. I mean, we have seen progress, right? :p

With a millennium of consistent rulings from the same monarch, it really should.
No.

Disparate cases are disparate cases. Consistent ruling requires rules, extracting them from individual cases is an extremely hard work. It works when the community is small and the cases can be folded into relatively small number of classes. This is not the case for Equestria because it is quite diverse and has fairly thriving and diverse busyness and city life that evolves slowly but surely. Furthermore, law is not just people resolving personal conflicts. There is a lot of it that is aimed at setting baselines, and those baselines are regularly adjusted to reflect the changes in the world and state.

There IS a reason why common law was replaced by formal codes.

No.

Disparate cases are disparate cases. Consistent ruling requires rules, extracting them from individual cases is an extremely hard work. It works when the community is small and the cases can be folded into relatively small number of classes. This is not the case for Equestria because it is quite diverse and has fairly thriving and diverse busyness and city life that evolves slowly but surely. Furthermore, law is not just people resolving personal conflicts. There is a lot of it that is aimed at setting baselines, and those baselines are regularly adjusted to reflect the changes in the world and state.

But it hasn't been, not really. Those formal codes aren't enough, they're still subject to interpretation, have appeals where people say that the judge got it wrong, are constantly modified by the precedent of individual rulings.

How is having a written down law against murder, which requires the precedent of previous cases to function as intended, any different from Celestia saying "don't kill people" and then clarifying the edge cases as they come up?

I am not sure that it ever actually was. Yes we do have formal codes, but they are largely drawn from common law and are then interpreted and reinterpreted though case law and president.

Ninja: really it's like we are sharing the same brain cell. Also I seem to type far too slow on my phone.

Last edited:
(EDIT: More on this when I have time to do the next chapters, but Celestia isn't the only source of law. All national laws require her approval, but there's also the House of Ladies.)
Most of those privileges would be irrelevant for several years yet. I would technically be allowed to vote as part of the House of Ladies from the moment the title was bestowed, but tradition demanded that I wait until I was at least twenty. Any younger and some nobles would switch sides, even if it harmed their own interests, specifically to keep young ponies from trying to exercise power until we were deemed old and mature enough to have some idea of what we were doing.

With a thousand years of president
Celestia is a princess, not a president. :V

Last edited:
Those formal codes aren't enough, they're still subject to interpretation, have appeals where people say that the judge got it wrong,
This is a common problem coming from the fact that people are different and no two humans have completely identical conceptual and moral frameworks. Some inconsistencies in interpretation are unavoidable, even within very homogeneous communities. However, a strictly worded formal code tends to produce more consistent interpretations than a disparate set of precedents. That's the entire point of having a formal code.

are constantly modified by the precedent of individual rulings.
Nope. They are modified by law-makers, though existing rulings and complains are definitely taken in account. What you are probably referencing is clarifications: when wording used in a particular law isn't strict enough to be interpreted the same way by all members of judicial community of particular state, the relevant high court clarifies the way this particular law should be interpreted.

Silver Needle twitched, and she colored with understandable rage at having her lecture interrupted by inane commentary.
I read this as unmistakable the first time.

EDIT [to avoid dubble posting]:
(EDIT: More on this when I have time to do the next chapters, but Celestia isn't the only source of law. All national laws require her approval, but there's also the House of Ladies.)
Sure... but their grandmother's grandmothers grew up having their perceptions of justice shaped by Celestias whims; how likely are they to craft a law that isn't aligned with the precedent that she's set forth?

Last edited:
Most of those privileges would be irrelevant for several years yet. I would technically be allowed to vote as part of the House of Ladies from the moment the title was bestowed, but tradition demanded that I wait until I was at least twenty. Any younger and some nobles would switch sides, even if it harmed their own interests, specifically to keep young ponies from trying to exercise power until we were deemed old and mature enough to have some idea of what we were doing.

Being reminded of this bit the House of Ladies is lucky Sunset hates being around them more than she enjoys messing with them, otherwise showing up anyways could be a fun way to troll them. Do you still go with the classic vote against whatever the upstart brat says plan when said brat is the adopted daughter of Celestia? What about if Celestia has dropped some strong hints she agrees with whatever the brat is saying? How far are you willing to push to keep those darn whippersnappers in their place?

You know. I just realized that Cadence is absolutely doomed to the worst fate imaginable in this setting. She's going to be subject to an eternity of dealing with Alicorn drama and talking the various immortal powers that be from either embracing Dark Gods or banishing each other to the moon/sun/detroit whenever they get fed up with each other due to her unfortubate status as the only emotionally and socially well-balanced Alicorn not subject to bouts of selective insanity.

Twilight will probably join them soon enough and will possibly be in an even better headspace than in canon.

Suffering needs to be shared, after all.

Twilight will probably join them soon enough and will possibly be in an even better headspace than in canon.

Suffering needs to be shared, after all.

I strongly suspect Twilight will need to be actively prevented from summoning some equinomorphized library spirit in an attempt to merge with it and become Nightmare Book.

How is having a written down law against murder, which requires the precedent of previous cases to function as intended, any different from Celestia saying "don't kill people" and then clarifying the edge cases as they come up?
Clarification doesn't happen on its own. If her rulings on edge cases do not come with explanations then - nevermind that the rulings themselves may not actually be 100% consistent with each other - it won't actually be possible for someone to just look at the rulings and figure out which unique facts about each case led to her ruling one way or the other.

I'm somewhat disappointed, incidentally, that the author took the easy way out of having the cult leader not be a true believer.

Last edited:
Back