Disaster Party, Part 3 New
Amy watched with some fascination as Aisha prompted the kids to 'help' with the safety briefing.

"The emergency phone and backup batteries are over there," May said confidently. "There is extra food for, like, a long time! But when we looked it looked all bland and boring."

"An' why's that?" Aisha asked.

"Because interesting food gets ate," Derek recited. "So the emergency food is healthy but not for snacking."

"Good," Aisha said nodding. "Now, to show you the fire exit, and where there are some additional supplies for boring grown up things like shaving that Manpower here might need, you two can go watch cartoons for that."

Amy followed, out of some interest, but mostly disappointment that the computer was locked.

Disaster Party, Part 4 New
"Hey, uh, Dad?" Shielder asked nervously.

"What's on your mind?" At Eric's request, pair had gone back over to Amy's apartment to get something that Eric 'had forgot'.

"Should I be worried by, like, all of that? She even had tinkertech stun guns and a thing to let us get down the outside of the building if we couldn't go out through the normal way! Is she some kind of Tinker, you think?"

"Don't read too much into it," his father replied. "Some of the PRT troopers are like that too, especially ex-military. Cape family members as well, now that I think about it. From what Aunt Carol said, Aisha hangs around those people a lot. In addition to hanging around capes like your cousins, of course."

"So is she one of those not-capes capes, then? A vigilante?"

"Probably not, but I now understand why your cousin Victoria wanted to come during the event. Aisha is better prepared than we are."

Eric snorted. "Yeah, that's Vicky. But if she's not a cape and stuff, why all of… that?"

His father shrugged. "Living in this building, she has a family member in the PRT, so that's part of it. Also worries a lot about the Empire, from what your Aunt said."

"Huh," Eric said, "yeah I can see that." He shifted awkwardly.

"Is it weird though that I find it intimidating?" Eric continued. "Even though she isn't a cape. And, uh, kind of hot?"

Note: Eric ain't never met someone like Aisha.

Last edited:
Shielded asked nervously.
I don't want to shield you from things, so I'll let you know now, Manpower brought a Master-Stranger that replaced his son to the event. But the guy seems chill.

Should I be worried by, like, all of that? She even had tinkertech stun guns and a thing to let us get down the outside of the building if we couldn't go out through the normal way!
Well Riddle me this Batman, how the heck would you get out of that building during a crisis if you a) couldn't fly, and b) didn't have the rest of your powers to sculpt a set of stairs or blast your way out?

Well Riddle me this Batman, how the heck would you get out of that building during a crisis if you a) couldn't fly, and b) didn't have the rest of your powers to sculpt a set of stairs or blast your way out?
Step out the window, and walk down the wall. What? You think Gravity doesn't know better than to get in my way?
(Sometimes, "I'm Batman, and I can Breathe In Space", can really annoy...)

((I'd say having a single-use Pill Of Featherfall, hidden in your belt-buckle, but that's sorta a Fantasy, not a Supers, genre answer. In the Worm-verse the answer is probably Trigger, and then your Shard will get you out of there, but in a way, longer-term, you really won't appreciate...))

Magician’s Apprentice New
Lisa didn't jump or squeak when Dr. Weaver poked her shoulder, and wasn't at all surprised to find that the older woman had somehow packed up all her shit without Lisa noticing.

Lisa took off her headphones. "A device will be delivered," the older woman said quickly. "Taylor will be coming up. She needs to stay within, oh, ten yards of it until told otherwise. Do not open it. You carry it for her if she has to use the bathroom or something. Call Lavere immediately if there are any threats, or if you need to leave the secure area. Most importantly, remember that nothing interesting is happening here. You were bored, got a comms unit, and are hiding up here listening to what you shouldn't. The device is innocuous, a prank, and if checked against your file will show as authorized.

Lisa blinked. "Huh?"

"Power will explain. I need to go."

"Wait where are you going! The thing! The feeds! Behemoth?"

"Trying to make sure Eidolon survives his big damn hero stunt. Door."

And one of those fucky portals appeared and she was gone. Before Lisa could process… whatever that was, another portal appeared and there was deposited on the table, without fanfare, an obviously tinkertech and very janky thing. It was adorned with frownie face stickers. On top was a piece of masking tape, on which was written the name 'Shouty McChuuni Jr., no 3'. Next to it was a sticker of a smiley face with big scared eyes and no mouth.

Lisa's confusion was interrupted by the appearance of Taylor through the door.

"Uh, hi?" The other girl asked. "What's going on?"

Note: Why hello there. Looks like someone found the sticker maker. Step up for them as hobbies go.

the name 'Shouty McChuuni Jr., no 3'
I feel this is... a little unfair. Lisa isn't the junior son (Mac/Mc) of a scarf (Chunni). Chunnibyo is... a little unfair to Inference Engine... (I don't believe 'Negotiator' is at all a credible name for her shard.) Also, who is no.1 and no.2? We need to know!!!

(Who used the label printer? Would the gadget be left anywhere near where Aisha could get at it?)

EDIT:

A 'Chunnibyo' is about 13-yrs-old, as young as you can be and be a 'teenager'. So, a bit on-point given the title (GDT) of this story???

Last edited:
Super Inference is how Lisa has the shard express, but that isn't the only way it could have expressed via powers. Lisa could have been given post-cog abilities, or remote viewing, or any number of other things.

Super Inference is how Lisa has the shard express, but that isn't the only way it could have expressed via powers. Lisa could have been given post-cog abilities, or remote viewing, or any number of other things.
Lisa has a Warrior shard. Her expression of the shard is the only one we're shown. There's no evidence that 'negotiation' is something the Warrior thinks is at all sensible - the sort of 'communication' the Warrior is interested in is combat, in DnD terms, 'What's your Armor Class?'.

I see 'Negotiator', and I hear 'Wildbow is trolling the readers'.

Yes, we've no idea what the middle-rank shard Lisa is hosting is good at. Modelling human behaviour well enough to know what they're likely to do, what're their 'hot buttons' (then pressing them, to persuade them to attack?), is a... rather unusual capability for a Warrior shard. Almost implies empathy!

Sounds almost like a Thinker shard that's been handed over to the Warrior? It's a 'Dunno' situation.

In this story Lisa is being trained in useful problem-solving by Dr. Weaver. And, is probably a significant element in keeping her sane-ish, without realising that's what she's doing. An echo of her friend... And, Lisa's shard is enthusiastically not telling her (*cough* trolling her *cough*) what's going on. Directly, anyways.

I'm pretty sure QA has at least read access to Dr. Weaver...

Last edited:
An Aisha Pelham fic would be fascinating!

There is a path for it in this fic, though I don't know if that's where things will go. Key to it is that I'm pretty sure that this Aisha likely wouldn't view Eric as a threat the way most boys she deal with register as a threat. It isn't about whether or not she thinks she can take them, it's more about whether she thinks they will try shit. Eric, in turn, is likely fairly intimidated by her.

Or course, you do have the problem that neither has any idea on how does relationship work.

A 'Chunnibyo' is about 13-yrs-old, as young as you can be and be a 'teenager'. So, a bit on-point given the title (GDT) of this story???
to be specific, "Chuu-ni" is literally "Middle - two" -the second year of middle school in japan, usually considered equivalent to 8th grade in the US.

so Chuunibiyo is "Eighth-grader syndrome"

this is about the time when kids start to get into edgy media and some of them get super into the idea of having secret magic.

Back