The literal only class that is at least mostly consistent when you actually consider the origin of the name is Rider, as the only two who don't technically fit into the class are Red Hare (since, you know, he's the thing being ridden. REAL MEN RIDE EACH OTHER! BLADE AND HORSE ARE ONE!) and maybe Sima Yi (...I mean, she has Riding B, so clearly she fits somehow, but the real reason she's in that class is so she can have an advantage over Zhuge Liang for meme reasons).

Proof positive that the actual best way to name a class is to make it so hopelessly wide in terms of definition that you can't possibly fail, and even then it doesn't always work. Well, that or make it like Moon Cancer or something and make the entire class J̵̤͆͠Ú̸̧̟S̷͕̈T̶̝̼̮͋̓ ̵̲͖́B̶̙̑Ḅ̴̈́͌͝ so as to limit things.

Wasn't it TYPE-Moon canon that the Archer Class is supposed to be the Jack Of All Trade of the Servant system ?
Not that I recall. There was only this statement from Fate/complete materials vol. 3:
CM3 said:
The qualifying condition for the Heroic Spirits [of the Archer class] is not attributes, but instead the possession of powerful projectile weapons or special abilities related to projectile weapons. Servants will generally assume that the Noble Phantasm of an Archer-class Servant is their bow, but any projectile weapons, even firearms, can be indicative of an Archer.

So from now on, lets start using more accurate class names:

Sword
Long Range Fighter
Polearm
Rider
Creator
Stealth and/or Murder
Brutal Pummeler

:V

Even early on the Saber class was defined as infantry with a focus on explosive power, Lancer as skirmishers and Archer as long-range fighters that can serve as scouts. That's the basis of their class triangle, even.

Archers plink away at Sabers while they're closing the distance, Sabers outtank Lancers, Lancers cross the gap too fast/are too evasive for Archers to keep up.

cm3 said:
Sabre
Knight of the Sword. The compatible Heroic Spirit naturally needs to possess legends as a knight of sword, as well as the highest levels of attributes in all but MGI. Class Abilities include Magic Resistance and Riding. Also, compatible Heroic Spirits usually excel in delivering powerful burst attacks.

Lancer
Knight of the Lance. Its high qualifying conditions are second only to Sabre. Attributes are excellent overall, in addition, AGI must be high. Of course, Servants of this class are proficient in hit-and-run tactics that capitalise on range and speed. This class includes many Heroic Spirits who were knights.

Archer
Knight of the Bow. A class that excels in possessing powerful Noble Phantasms. The qualifying condition is not attributes, but the possession of powerful projectile weapons or special abilities related to projectile weapons. Highly effective as scouts. They have not only the Magic Resistance ability of the Knight Classes, but also the class ability of Independent Action.

As an aside:
Q: If there were more than seven classes of Servants, is there a reason the classes of Saber, Lancer, Archer, Rider, Caster, Assassin, and Berserker that participated in the Fifth Holy Grail War were chosen?
A: This is the basic line-up. The class distinctions exist so that Heroic Spirits with similar characteristics won't conflict with each other.
They'd already hinted at extra classes, huh. And it straight up says it's just a differentiator, it's not a strict pass/fail filter.

Last edited:
Jeanne is such a cinnamon roll. Also was too busy kicking ass and taking names to figure out little things like her own sexuality in Nasu.

Jeanne is such a cinnamon roll. Also was too busy kicking ass and taking names to figure out little things like her own sexuality in Nasu.
Oh? I got the impression she was heterosexual going off her attraction to Sieg in Apocrypha, and I don't recall anything in FGO which proved me wrong. Am I forgetting something?

Yes, absolutely. The class defined by their access to fucking huge personal beam cannons is truly well named as "Saber" :V
Now hold on, that's just limited to Arturia/Arturia Alter/Arthur, Gawain, Mordred, Altera... Siegfried... Sigurd... Richard I... Fergus doesn't really count because he uses his drill sword to create eruptions or some shit.

... Fuck, that's nine Sabers who use wave motion swords out of about roughly twenty that have appeared in the series so far. Though at least they actually use their swords to create energy beams, so... It still counts? :V

Edit: Oh, shit, Fergus. FERGUS. He's gonna be hitting on Kana (and basically every non-underage female Servant, now that I think about it) all the time, and poor Rits is gonna need someone to cockblock him at every opportunity when he isn't around to do it himself. Probably Herc or Leonidas.

And then comes Medb, who will want to sleep with everyone...

Last edited:
Now hold on, that's just limited to Arturia/Arturia Alter/Arthur, Gawain, Mordred, Altera... Siegfried... Sigurd... Richard I... Fergus doesn't really count because he uses his drill sword to create eruptions or some shit.

... Fuck, that's nine Sabers who use wave motion swords out of about roughly twenty that have appeared in the series so far. Though at least they actually use their swords to create energy beams, so... It still counts? :V

Edit: Oh, shit, Fergus. FERGUS. He's gonna be hitting on Kana (and basically every non-underage female Servant, now that I think about it) all the time, and poor Rits is gonna need someone to cockblock him at every opportunity when he isn't around to do it himself. Probably Herc or Leonidas.
Kana gets help from her new senpai, Medb

Lancelot's just not using the beam function most of the time, as is Bedevire among others. I'm afraid beamswordless Sabers are the minority overall.:V

If he didn't hit Mash, he wouldn't hit Kana. Period. And besides, unlike Medb or Fionn McC**H***, he actually respect the word 'No'.

Oh, shit, Fergus. FERGUS. He's gonna be hitting on Kana (and basically every non-underage female Servant, now that I think about it) all the time, and poor Rits is gonna need someone to cockblock him at every opportunity when he isn't around to do it himself. Probably Herc or Leonidas.

Point them at each other, issue will solve itself.

Medb is the horniest Irishwoman. Chances are she'll only make it worse. I'm honestly inclined to think she'll try to sleep with both her masters. Possibly simultaneously. And with anyone else willing to join in.

And then Kiara appears.....RIP everyone because her allure is too damn powerful.

Back