Dungeons and Dragons Megathread

I'm surprised that A) your resources are apparently so low at level 9, when the encounter balance side of 5e really starts breaking down, and B) that going down in a fight is a serious concern. Because again, you're at the level where getting KOed in a single encounter isn't really that much of a likelihood - you typically see that running multiple combats back-to-back without a chance for a rest in between, in which case you could probably stand to be a little more strenuous about joshing for rest time.

If a single combat that you go into with your resources (hp, rage) reasonably full for is a serious risk of KOing you, that indicates to me that your GM is throwing encounters significantly above your nominal level at you; in that case, any 1-2 level dip for self-healing may as well be worthless - combat healing is, in general, a waste of time in 5e. Most opponents can deal more damage per turn than players can reliably soak, and the usual best-case scenario is a stalemate - the opponent deals damage, the player heals the damage and (less often as levels go up and monsters do more damage) maybe soaks the hit, and the round ends with the only change having been that the player has spent limited resources while the monster may well not have (and remember that even if they do spend resources, any given opponent is unlikely to have to fight more than this single battle so they don't have to conserve resources for a whole day unlike you), so functionally you have wasted resources to no functional effect. Also, dnd isn't a hard system with regards to health, so the only hit point that matters is the last one. Mathematically, the better option is almost always to attack - every instance of damage you deal to any given opponent theoretically reduces that opponent's number of turns left to continue damaging you, and every time you choose to not deal damage both prolongs the fight and potentially forces you to expend more resources.

An example: Fighter A vs Monster A, Fighter B vs Monster B; Fighter A attacks, Fighter B alternately attacks and self-heals after damage comes in, costing their action and an item or spell (henceforth referred to as resources). Assume that the Fighters each have 50 hp and would deal 10 damage per hit and can heal for 10, and Monsters have 30 hp and deal 15 damage. Assume also that the Fighters have won initiative and act first in each case.

Round 12345
Fighter A deals 10
Monster A deals 15

F: 35/50 hp
M: 20/30 hp
F deals 10
M deals 15

F: 20/50
M: 10/30
F deals 10
M is dead and cannot act

F: 20/50 (total of 30 damage taken and can spend 3 resources to return to full out of combat)
Fighter B deals 10
Monster B deals 15

F heals 10
M deals 15

F: 30/50 hp (net -5) (1 resource)
F deals 10
M deals 15

F: 15/50
F heals 10
M deals 15

F: 10/50 hp (net -5) (1 resource; 2 total)
F deals 10
M is dead and cannot act

F: 10/50 (has spent 2 resources and must spend 4 more [6 total] to return to full out of combat)

Now this is highly simplified and your situation isn't so bad as the above. You mentioned using (I presume) the twilight cleric's channel divinity to self-heal, which only requires one action (thus one turn) not dealing damage to use... except you also have to use your rage to increase your survivability, and since you haven't attacked and your rage staying up is depending on attacking or taking damage:
Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven't attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then
...so if you use Channel Divinity and rage in the first turn without having taken a hit already (or baiting one via AOO which feeds into the time-to-kill vs resources-spent math) which would seem to be the optimal play, you immediately waste your rage (resources) - this is a lesser but still extant problem later in the encounter, since if you have taken a hit you effectively have the freedom to cast the ability without losing rage resources, but it's still suboptimal math because you're A) potentially allowing the monsters more uptime to hurt you and force you to spend more resources than you otherwise would have and B) blunting the benefit of the resources you're already actively spending.

This is a whole lot of words to say that combat healing (outside of specific strategies like tubthumping, or emergency measures to eke out one last turn of rage or whatever which are still best administered by a third party) is a waste of time - both yours and everyone else's. Most importantly, it slows the whole game way the fuck down by making combat take longer (and not in a fun way). Even if you do go for a two-level dip for Twilight cleric (and I'm not sure that's a winning strategy - if you go pure barbarian for those two levels you get Relentless Rage which gives you a good chance of just getting to say 'no' to being KOed at least once per combat which can be crucial) your healing is best saved for out of combat where it has its best effect.

So really, your best in-combat option depending on your circumstances is to only go into them relatively fresh (i.e. rest more frequently than you currently do, if that is a current problem), or to switch up your tactics (it sounds like you may be taking more than your fair share of damage if you the barbarian are so concerned, so either you need to draw less aggro/move into melee with fewer monsters and hope they focus on other characters), or you need to speak with the DM OOC (related to the previous, your DM may specifically be having you take more than your share of damage due to fiat/you being 'the tank' (which only works if you have synergistic support), which if you're not having fun with (and it sounds like you're not) you need to talk to them about and work out a solution for).

Anyway, combat healing sucks, don't do it.

(For 'fun,' more math: Twilight cleric's CD heals an average of 35 damage - plus 10 per point of positive Wisdom modifier - over the course of 1 minute/10 rounds. A CR 9 monster - i.e. a trivial-to-fair challenge for a party of 4 level 9s - can be expected to deal in the neighbourhood of 57-62 damage per round per the DMG, which if focused on you you can halve to 28-31. Charitably the ability will buy you one more turn of actions by healing according to that math (keep in mind it takes a full minute to get the full benefit, and the majority of encounters do not come close to lasting an in-universe minute - the expected number is 3 rounds, and in my experience 3-5 is about average for a difficult fight - so you're not getting that full 35 + 10(wis mod). Coincidentally, you could get the same number of effective combat turns by forgoing the CD and spending that turn attacking.)

4e fixed this by allowing every class to have a way to heal while also doing another more important combats action.

For some reason grognards hated this.

I'm surprised that A) your resources are apparently so low at level 9, when the encounter balance side of 5e really starts breaking down, and B) that going down in a fight is a serious concern. Because again, you're at the level where getting KOed in a single encounter isn't really that much of a likelihood - you typically see that running multiple combats back-to-back without a chance for a rest in between, in which case you could probably stand to be a little more strenuous about joshing for rest time.

If a single combat that you go into with your resources (hp, rage) reasonably full for is a serious risk of KOing you, that indicates to me that your GM is throwing encounters significantly above your nominal level at you; in that case, any 1-2 level dip for self-healing may as well be worthless - combat healing is, in general, a waste of time in 5e. Most opponents can deal more damage per turn than players can reliably soak, and the usual best-case scenario is a stalemate - the opponent deals damage, the player heals the damage and (less often as levels go up and monsters do more damage) maybe soaks the hit, and the round ends with the only change having been that the player has spent limited resources while the monster may well not have (and remember that even if they do spend resources, any given opponent is unlikely to have to fight more than this single battle so they don't have to conserve resources for a whole day unlike you), so functionally you have wasted resources to no functional effect. Also, dnd isn't a hard system with regards to health, so the only hit point that matters is the last one. Mathematically, the better option is almost always to attack - every instance of damage you deal to any given opponent theoretically reduces that opponent's number of turns left to continue damaging you, and every time you choose to not deal damage both prolongs the fight and potentially forces you to expend more resources.

An example: Fighter A vs Monster A, Fighter B vs Monster B; Fighter A attacks, Fighter B alternately attacks and self-heals after damage comes in, costing their action and an item or spell (henceforth referred to as resources). Assume that the Fighters each have 50 hp and would deal 10 damage per hit and can heal for 10, and Monsters have 30 hp and deal 15 damage. Assume also that the Fighters have won initiative and act first in each case.

Round 12345
Fighter A deals 10
Monster A deals 15

F deals 10
M deals 15

F: 20/50
F deals 10
M is dead and cannot act

F: 20/50 (total of 30 damage taken and can spend 3 resources to return to full out of combat)
Fighter B deals 10
Monster B deals 15

F heals 10
M deals 15

F: 30/50 hp (net -5) (1 resource)
F deals 10
M deals 15

F: 15/50
F heals 10
M deals 15

F: 10/50 hp (net -5) (1 resource; 2 total)
F deals 10
M is dead and cannot act

F: 10/50 (has spent 2 resources and must spend 4 more [6 total] to return to full out of combat)

Now this is highly simplified and your situation isn't so bad as the above. You mentioned using (I presume) the twilight cleric's channel divinity to self-heal, which only requires one action (thus one turn) not dealing damage to use... except you also have to use your rage to increase your survivability, and since you haven't attacked and your rage staying up is depending on attacking or taking damage:

...so if you use Channel Divinity and rage in the first turn without having taken a hit already (or baiting one via AOO which feeds into the time-to-kill vs resources-spent math) which would seem to be the optimal play, you immediately waste your rage (resources) - this is a lesser but still extant problem later in the encounter, since if you have taken a hit you effectively have the freedom to cast the ability without losing rage resources, but it's still suboptimal math because you're A) potentially allowing the monsters more uptime to hurt you and force you to spend more resources than you otherwise would have and B) blunting the benefit of the resources you're already actively spending.

This is a whole lot of words to say that combat healing (outside of specific strategies like tubthumping, or emergency measures to eke out one last turn of rage or whatever which are still best administered by a third party) is a waste of time - both yours and everyone else's. Most importantly, it slows the whole game way the fuck down by making combat take longer (and not in a fun way). Even if you do go for a two-level dip for Twilight cleric (and I'm not sure that's a winning strategy - if you go pure barbarian for those two levels you get Relentless Rage which gives you a good chance of just getting to say 'no' to being KOed at least once per combat which can be crucial) your healing is best saved for out of combat where it has its best effect.

So really, your best in-combat option depending on your circumstances is to only go into them relatively fresh (i.e. rest more frequently than you currently do, if that is a current problem), or to switch up your tactics (it sounds like you may be taking more than your fair share of damage if you the barbarian are so concerned, so either you need to draw less aggro/move into melee with fewer monsters and hope they focus on other characters), or you need to speak with the DM OOC (related to the previous, your DM may specifically be having you take more than your share of damage due to fiat/you being 'the tank' (which only works if you have synergistic support), which if you're not having fun with (and it sounds like you're not) you need to talk to them about and work out a solution for).

Anyway, combat healing sucks, don't do it.

(For 'fun,' more math: Twilight cleric's CD heals an average of 35 damage - plus 10 per point of positive Wisdom modifier - over the course of 1 minute/10 rounds. A CR 9 monster - i.e. a trivial-to-fair challenge for a party of 4 level 9s - can be expected to deal in the neighbourhood of 57-62 damage per round per the DMG, which if focused on you you can halve to 28-31. Charitably the ability will buy you one more turn of actions by healing according to that math (keep in mind it takes a full minute to get the full benefit, and the majority of encounters do not come close to lasting an in-universe minute - the expected number is 3 rounds, and in my experience 3-5 is about average for a difficult fight - so you're not getting that full 35 + 10(wis mod). Coincidentally, you could get the same number of effective combat turns by forgoing the CD and spending that turn attacking.)
This is very good info, thank you. Especially the action economy stuff, which I hadn't fully considered.

I'd say I've been having fun, it's just that I've also noticed I have a certain lack of recoverability mid-fight, even with an effective HP while raging of about 200, and I got to thinking how to mitigate that, even if only a little because I don't want to go all in on the healing-support. And yeah, we're probably getting thrown into tougher fights than expected, but I don't honestly think I can't not throw myself into the melee since that... just means the squishier players will be getting the brunt of the attack?

edit; though, I'm not sure what you mean by resources being low?

Last edited:
edit; though, I'm not sure what you mean by resources being low?
It was late and I was very tired so that got lost in the mix. ~1000 gold is a weirdly low amount of gold to have at your level if you're not spending it on anything significant (of which 5e has a distinct lack), which if you're not buying potions you probably aren't unless you're financing your companions' spell components or something.

As someone who likes aquring pets and animal companions and also bugs, would trying to aquire a giant spider of some kind as a mount and friend as my kobold would be possible? Of course I will talk with my dm about this but I honestly don't know what 'species' I could aask if it would be okay to try and befriend.

It was late and I was very tired so that got lost in the mix. ~1000 gold is a weirdly low amount of gold to have at your level if you're not spending it on anything significant (of which 5e has a distinct lack), which if you're not buying potions you probably aren't unless you're financing your companions' spell components or something.
Gotcha; yeah I occasionally have to purchase potions for things like healing, of which the most expensive right now is 500gp, and there's also some homebrew systems that suck up money for upgrading weapons/armor, or for creating magical runes. But those systems are also largely pie-in-the-sky/wish-I-had-a-dollar, with prices steadily climbing into the double digit thousands as one goes, and not many players have actually been able to interact with them beyond a surface level.

A big factor might also be that we sometimes just don't get any gold after a session, or it's such a small amount that you still come out having lost money in the end because you need to restock on supplies.

As someone who likes aquring pets and animal companions and also bugs, would trying to aquire a giant spider of some kind as a mount and friend as my kobold would be possible? Of course I will talk with my dm about this but I honestly don't know what 'species' I could aask if it would be okay to try and befriend.
Assuming 5e, the Sidekick rules from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything can be applied to any creature of CR 1/2 or lower. Giant Wolf Spiders, page 330 in the Monster Manual, are medium in size and CR 1/4th.

Assuming 5e, the Sidekick rules from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything can be applied to any creature of CR 1/2 or lower. Giant Wolf Spiders, page 330 in the Monster Manual, are medium in size and CR 1/4th.
Interesting, would things like phase spiders and elemental plane touched spiders also work potentially? Because if I need to make a new character for a different campaign for the future I might just make a arachnid themed ranger because goddamn, if nobody will play ranger I will.

Also yes, I'm talking about 5e.

4e fixed this by allowing every class to have a way to heal while also doing another more important combats action.

For some reason grognards hated this.
Yeah, in 4E (and Saga Edition), the Second Wind was an action that any player character could take.

Mike Mearls hated the idea of non-magical healing, famously deriding the warlord, a martial support class from 4E, for having it by saying "You can't shout someone's hand back on!" ...but also wrote total HP recovery on long rests into the game as well as partial hit point restoration on short rests. So you can't shout your hand back on, but apparently you can grow a new one if you rest for an hour. :rolleyes:

Even worse, behanding someone is a special effect of designated attacks anyway, because D&D doesn't have hit locations, and HP-only heals won't regrow severed hands.

Even worse, behanding someone is a special effect of designated attacks anyway, because D&D doesn't have hit locations, and HP-only heals won't regrow severed hands.
Yeah, that's another reason that it's a dumb thing to say. But I particularly wanted to point out the hypocrisy of of declaring that hit points can't have anything to do with morale or exhaustion when he wants to discredit the warlord, then makes hit points entirely dependent on exhaustion and morale in his own edition.

Continuing on the earlier subject now that I have a little more time, 5E does have a healing spell that's a bonus action, Healing Word, but the healing is about half of Cure Wounds and even Cure Wounds isn't that much. Especially if you're a 1st level cleric because you're just dipping. Meanwhile at that level, enemies can be dishing out 20+ damage per hit, so it's a losing proposition to try to heal hit points faster than you're losing them.

There actually seem to be a lot of support spells in 5E that are bonus actions or reactions. That probably makes it easier to play a support role without having to give up the ability to do fun things yourself, but it is another factor in my belief that 5E has nerfed martials quite a bit and spellcasters hardly at all, because casters could be tossing out two or even three spells in a round.

Yeah, that's another reason that it's a dumb thing to say. But I particularly wanted to point out the hypocrisy of of declaring that hit points can't have anything to do with morale or exhaustion when he wants to discredit the warlord, then makes hit points entirely dependent on exhaustion and morale in his own edition.

It's Mearls. These are among the least of his sins.

There actually seem to be a lot of support spells in 5E that are bonus actions or reactions. That probably makes it easier to play a support role without having to give up the ability to do fun things yourself, but it is another factor in my belief that 5E has nerfed martials quite a bit and spellcasters hardly at all, because casters could be tossing out two or even three spells in a round.

Welcome to Grognard Fantasy Brainworms.

Honestly, we need more anime influence, becaue at least anime gives martial types decent scale.

Okay I just double checked something and I want to vent, I kinda low key hate what they did to the draconians and how they just dropped some of their traits into dragonborn, especially since only recently did the dragonborn stop being mid as a race, sure appreciate the dragonborn being thrown a bone but it's a shame not doing the draconians as their own pc race with both base and noble draconians who ar probably my favourite thing out of dragonlance and dragonic races, barely between the drakkoths.

Oh well, there's always homebrew I guess, still stings a bit though.

Okay I just double checked something and I want to vent, I kinda low key hate what they did to the draconians and how they just dropped some of their traits into dragonborn, especially since only recently did the dragonborn stop being mid as a race, sure appreciate the dragonborn being thrown a bone but it's a shame not doing the draconians as their own pc race with both base and noble draconians who ar probably my favourite thing out of dragonlance and dragonic races, barely between the drakkoths.

Oh well, there's always homebrew I guess, still stings a bit though.
Hey, 4e Dragonborn were pretty badass!

In 3.5e Dragonborn was a template rather than a race.

Dragonborn Water Halfling was a fun time. Small size, -2 Str, +4 Con, 20 ft base land speed, 30 ft swim. (loses the usual hafling luck bonus and bonus vs fear, but gains one Dragonborn ability - I usually picked the Breath Weapon)

It's Mearls. These are among the least of his sins.

Welcome to Grognard Fantasy Brainworms.

Honestly, we need more anime influence, becaue at least anime gives martial types decent scale.
Oi! Grognard here still DMing 2e, and I very much agree that Martials need serious buffs above the stuff in any of the Core sets. I liked 9 swords. I even worked on a homebrew version of Martial Maneuvers for 2e, taking inspiration from both that an from the Heroic Feats in the Celts book. (Gae Bolga, motherfuckers, multiply the damage by your level)

Aight, I think I'll just try and bight the bullet and try to homebrew some stuff up for the draconians, and either the drakkoths or abishai and try to find some way to reflavour to be pc Compatible enough to not immediately require a evil campaign to be made.

The drakkoths are probably the easiest, basically being dragony centaurs but I'm kinda confused on the abishai and draconians since their statblocks confuse my ape brain and I don't know how exactly to do them write without messing up.

Aight, I think I'll just try and bight the bullet and try to homebrew some stuff up for the draconians, and either the drakkoths or abishai and try to find some way to reflavour to be pc Compatible enough to not immediately require a evil campaign to be made.

The drakkoths are probably the easiest, basically being dragony centaurs but I'm kinda confused on the abishai and draconians since their statblocks confuse my ape brain and I don't know how exactly to do them write without messing up.
I know 2e Pathfinder had dragon centaurs as a playable race but they had a different name, Drakons. You might look at the old Dragonlance Nexus site for stuff on how to do Draconians. They're all about converting that setting for different editions

Abishai are literal fiends, so evil it is for them.

Last edited:
I know 2e Pathfinder had dragon centaurs as a playable race but they had a different name, Drakons. You might look at the old Dragonlance Nexus site for stuff on how to do Draconians. They're all about converting that setting for different editions

Abishai are literal fiends, so evil it is for them.
Huh, didn't know that, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I'll be sure to check the dragonlance nexus out.

True and I know that, but maybe it might be possible to homebrew a material plane version of them? Sort of like a prototype that tiamat discarded perhaps?

Huh, didn't know that, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I'll be sure to check the dragonlance nexus out.

True and I know that, but maybe it might be possible to homebrew a material plane version of them? Sort of like a prototype that tiamat discarded perhaps?
I mean, if you want the 5 colors in humanoid form, the nexus might have stats for the Noble Draconians, which were made with Chromatic Eggs instead of Metallic, those were a thing in 3rd I think.

Back