Dungeons and Dragons Megathread

I console myself by having fully and completely infected my group with Spheres et. all.
Truly you are doing God's Work.

Speaking of Spheres, SoG is sadly kinda underpowered in several places (Herbalism!) and I hope the promised upcoming eratta addresses that.

I am already eagerly putting it to use for adding Mining to my build. Being able to reshape terrain and tunnel through stone without needing magic is very nice.

Truly you are doing God's Work.

Speaking of Spheres, SoG is sadly kinda underpowered in several places (Herbalism!) and I hope the promised upcoming eratta addresses that.

I am already eagerly putting it to use for adding Mining to my build. Being able to reshape terrain and tunnel through stone without needing magic is very nice.
I'm still happily mired in power and might, and haven't given Guile a deep dive yet. My group has been a little heel-draggy on it because they're hitting a bit of So Many Rules fatigue

Currently i'm juggling a Champsphereicistigator who casts magic through the power of dance and telekinetically controls a war fan, and also a very normal ranger/conscript sniper who shoots one arrow and kills that guy over there, no he can't dodge, he can't block, being invisible doesn't matter, neither does cover. very satisfying.

I'm still happily mired in power and might, and haven't given Guile a deep dive yet. My group has been a little heel-draggy on it because they're hitting a bit of So Many Rules fatigue

Yeah, SoG does add a lot of new rules.

I've mostly been avoiding talents that interact with new conditions or skill uses and just cherypicking things that support SoM stuff. Herbalism Healing Poultices are ambiguous about whether you drink them or not, but working on the idea that you drink them (the text does say imbibe), that works nicely with Double Chug.

You could just... do what D&D players have been saying to do for every edition not 4e for a decade now. Minimum starting level: 3.
Honestly, I had this problem with 4E, too, when we tried to play it. PCs got extra HP at 1st level, but it was only about on par with what they get in PF2E, and with the monsters all having better bonuses to everything, we were constantly getting hit and my fighter went down several times.

I'm pretty much fine with the way PF2e works at 1st level, my character went down in the first round against the rats, but then both rats were just standing there so the rest of the party cleaned up without a scratch. I actually blame our alchemist for forgetting he could make healing potions for that character death, and the other one would've been avoided if we had an actual tank rather than a party of a Monk, an Alchemist, and a Bard at that point.

Took a look at the Tales of Valiant pregens that have been released as part of their kickstarter. Tales of the Valiant is one of the several 5e follow ups spurred into existence by the OGL fuckup, this one by Kobold Press, one of the bigger publishers of 5e third party content.

My general thoughts are: yeah, this is to 5e what Pathfinder was to 3.5. They've done a lot of minor changes to how the game plays. For example, talents, the game's version of feats, are limited by class type (with certain subclasses allowing access to other talent trees, like the eldritch knight equivalent getting access to the magic talent list). All classes get their subclass at third level, but more importantly they seem to have made certain changes to give players more decisions while playing, like how the second wind equivalent Last Stand uses Hit Die with the player being given a decision on how many HD are used (making it more of a gamble).

It's not like ONE DND is going to travel far from 5e, but ToV seems to be a competently made DND clone

I have to admit, I feel delaying subclass to third level for those that previously got it earlier instead of having everyone get it at first is a step in the wrong direction.

I actually do like the idea of the more complex iteration of the class being something your character grows into. Not like it stops you from building your character that way with base stats anyway.

Where it seems kinda weird and dumb is where it only happens once like a normal DnD class. Instead of the player getting multiple levels of class evolution (or a free multiclass), which is how this system could actually be a real game mechanic and not an arbitrary rule difference.

It's seems like an instance of repeating DnD's mistakes. Specifically the one where they like to obtusely "fix" problems with half-measures and band-aids slapped onto the already existing rules.

Where it seems kinda weird and dumb is where it only happens once like a normal DnD class. Instead of the player getting multiple levels of class evolution (or a free multiclass), which is how this system could actually be a real game mechanic and not an arbitrary rule difference.
Have you heard of our lord and saviour Pathfinder 2e?

Where it seems kinda weird and dumb is where it only happens once like a normal DnD class.
That's really only a 5E thing. 3E, 4E, PF1 and PF2 all generally have characters that get more options as they gain more levels (maybe less so in 3E, where many of the classes didn't really get a lot of customization options, but you got way more feats and skills than in 5E), and in the cases where subclasses are a thing, you choose one at 1st level.

Scaling up from one choice to two or three is reinventing paragon paths and epic destinies from 4e. Your fighter starts out as a great weapon fighter then becomes a kensei at level 11 then becomes a demigod at level 21.

Scaling up to an arbitrary number of choices is reinventing prestige classes from 3e. Your wizard starts out as a conjurer then starts leveling as a loremaster instead, a class designed specifically for multiclassing, then switches over again to archmage later. (There were a lot of problems with how this was implemented in third edition, of course, so you wouldn't want to follow it too closely.)

PF2e has an alternative of just letting you continuously make small choices within your class instead which change what specific abilities you have but don't really change your overall trajectory or the vibe of your character. So you start out a paladin and you stay a paladin the entire time but you get to pick whether you get a domain or a longer range reprisal reaction at level 1 and you get to pick a save bonus or a bonus against fiends or a bonus against dragons at level 2... There are a few cross class options too if you want to try to do some sort of class evolution thing where your overall theme shifts, but those don't really result in well defined inflection points (and mostly aren't very good or interesting IIRC).

There are a bunch of possible ways to implement repeated class evolutions, I suppose is what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Free Archetype as a rule seems pretty useful in PF 2e in terms of letting you play around with stuff, but obviously judging a system based on optional rules systems (positive or negative) is something of an exercise in pointlessness, IMO.

Shadow of the Demon Lord uses a tiered archetype system: Novice, Expert, and Master tier. Not shocking considering the main writer was also a writer on 5e's playtest version. Characters get new abilities from each of the paths they have as they level up.

Anyone got ideas for how to spice up underwater encounters? Want to add a few to my dungeon and I want to make it feel distinct.

Currently all I've got is designing the encounters around 3-D movement.

Note: Players should be able to breathe underwater at this point

Anyone got ideas for how to spice up underwater encounters? Want to add a few to my dungeon and I want to make it feel distinct.

Have a temple with a really basic fire based puzzle to open a door, but the entire temple is flooded, so the puzzle is now hard and confusing.

Have strong currents too/from somewhere, that either block passage/force athletics, or slurp the players down into a pit.

Have an octopus that keeps grabbing everything.

Have an enemy cast dispell on their water breathing, just to be a dick.

uhhhmmmm....have something bad in the water (sulfur/heat from volcanic vents? Cold? Poison?)

Have a trap which doesn't actually hurt the players in any way, but *does* hold them in place (possibly longer than their water breathing), or hell, just have a passage collapse after them, and they are now trapped in a dungeon trying to find their way out, on a timer.

Discuss how quickly light vanishes underwater.

Have the players swim deep enough that they come out the other side, and discover another entire world "upsidedown" on the underside of the ocean (this world believes the players world is upsidedown)

I hope they have swim-speeds, otherwise no matter what you do, combat is going to suck diddly uck because I'm fairly sure you basically halve your movement speed, if you lack a swim speed.

Last edited:
While people are pondering the above.

Has anyone ever tried using Natural Crit for homebrewing?

What coding language does it use?

Back