Dungeons and Dragons Megathread

Save or lose spells got a pretty good nerf. For most of them you have to crit fail (fail by 10 or more) the save to be completely taken out, failing means a hefty debuff, success means a brief and minor debuff, and critical success (succeed by 10 or more) means no effect.

Casters have less spells-per-day overall, but unlimited-use cantrips are more powerful and scale with level so they can always make a decent attack.

All saving throws scale at the same rate as spell DCs, so you don't wind up with bad (1/3 level) saves that have no chance against a caster of equal level.

Everything scaling at the same rate means that you can roll Intimidation vs. Will instead of making up some weird DC like 10 + level + Wisdom.

No more fucking rolling for hit points. That was always a terrible idea. Taking max was a house rule in my games for a decade, and I'm glad its official now.

Level to AC, fucking finally. I've been wanting that since the first time I played D&D. Finally your defense is based at least somewhat on your fighting skill instead of just on magic items.

Magic weapons add a die of damage for each +1, so martial weapon damage will increase sixfold over the course of 20 levels instead of staying largely static while casters are dealing more damage. Although I'd rather characters did more damage because of their fighting skill instead of their magic weapon.

Ok, those are some good changes. Hopefully the rest gets smoothed out.

Thanks, what about Sun Soul Monks? I've seen people say they're not that good.
The argument goes that aside from the radiant damage, everything the Sun Soul Monk does, other monks can do better, and that the abilities together don't mesh with the base monk abilities. Opinion seems to have begun swinging back around on Sun Soul Monks, though, mostly due to the fun RP of being basically a DBZ character. Even still, many people have attempted to rework the Sun Soul monk to feel more effective. You can find several of them online, and can use them if your DM allows. Heck, I've got a Sun Soul rework of my own, if you want to see it. I'm trying to tweak (it likely needs to be simplified) so that my DM would let me test it for my next character if at all possible.

Thanks, what about Sun Soul Monks? I've seen people say they're not that good.
They're ranged monks that get a bonus action aoe at level 6. They aren't on the combat level of an open hand monk (getting to prone or push with no actin cost is nuts) but its prefectly fine when compared to kensei, shadow or long death. Personally I dislike that the sun bolts aren't closer to 45' range, but the class is fine.

Looks pretty cool. I figured you'd go for an axe for your offhand, but I can definitely see the advantages of the clan dagger's Parry and Versatile Blugeoning abilities.

Couple of corrections, tho. Untrained proficiency is level - 2, so your untrained skills should have a -1 modifier instead of 0. Finesse weapons like your sorcerer's dragon claws can use Dex for attack, but they still use Strength for damage. And as far as I know, ranged touch attack spells still use Dex like other ranged attacks (if you've spotted a rule that says otherwise, please let me know). Also, you forgot to add a bonus to your halfling's Intimidation skill for being trained.
Clearly 5th edition has messed with how I read things. Fixing all of that.
That's not new for this edition. Clerics have gotten to choose domains which grant them new powers and spells since 3E, and PF1 let wizards do the same with their choice of Arcane School (previously all it gave them was +1 to spell DCs with that school of magic in exchange for being terrible at two others) and sorcerers with their choice of bloodline. Letting sorcerer bloodline also decide your spell list instead of always being arcane is new, tho. (Not a lot of bloodlines to choose from in the Playtest, compared to the PF1 core book.)
I guess my criticism is that choosing a bloodline somehow feels less impactful than chosing double slice on a fighter. No idea why though.
Sorcerers have always gotten more skills than wizards (not accounting for Int). Less magical versatility, more mundane versatility. Less time spent studying ancient tomes, more time getting hands on.

What pisses me off is that they have more skills than fighters, monks and barbarians, who have no magic and are all about the hands-on experience, and the same as rangers, which is supposed to be a skill-monkey class in its own right.
Wizard skill points is honestly my personal bugbear, since I believe every class should have (default skill points for class)+int mod, instead of default number of skill points = a number + what we think their skill mod should be. And between lore skills and a=skills like arcana, I don't think arguing that wizards do less hands on stuff than sorcerers is a good argument.
And yeah, its way worse for fighters. Fuck, just give everyone trained in a non lore skill from background then 4+int mod from class, with 6+int for rangers, rogues and bards I guess. Why bother with the other differences?
Honestly, I feel that more magic items is how they get more versatility. A high climb skill is nice, up until the wizard gets fly and then its completely outclassed, etc.

Have the fighters be decked out like an old god. Boots of flight, belt to double your strength, hammers that shoot lightning, bracers that let you phase etc.

Basically if they have magic items they can trade out they get a smaller pool of magic which they can cast more often.
Yes, let me be Thor. It feels like every greek hero got something (mirrored shield, golden armour, nemean lion skin, winged sandals, etc) and King Arthur's magic sword is super iconic. Why is every system weird with magic items?
No more fucking rolling for hit points. That was always a terrible idea. Taking max was a house rule in my games for a decade, and I'm glad its official now.

Level to AC, fucking finally. I've been wanting that since the first time I played D&D. Finally your defense is based at least somewhat on your fighting skill instead of just on magic items.

Magic weapons add a die of damage for each +1, so martial weapon damage will increase sixfold over the course of 20 levels instead of staying largely static while casters are dealing more damage. Although I'd rather characters did more damage because of their fighting skill instead of their magic weapon.
I somehow missed the health thing, its definitely an improvement, especially with alrger hp at 1st level (4e also did this right). I dislike adding level to AC and saves because it feels kinda like number inflation for the sake of number inflation, but you do have a point. And man I'm gonna get caught out by magic items like that a few times.

The thing about monks is really that stunning strike is such a good ability it doesn't matter what subclass you pick because you'll always be effective no matter what. That said, sun soul and four elements are generally considered the 'bad' monk subclass options. But the base monk chassis is so good you shouldn't feel bad about being 'sub-optimal' if you really like the flavor.

And yeah, its way worse for fighters. Fuck, just give everyone trained in a non lore skill from background then 4+int mod from class, with 6+int for rangers, rogues and bards I guess. Why bother with the other differences?
I'll agree that no class should probably be getting less than 4 + Int. D20 system games are so bloody stingy with the skills.

I'll agree that no class should probably be getting less than 4 + Int. D20 system games are so bloody stingy with the skills.
And P2 brought in Lore, a skill with effectively infinite subdivisions (at least it absorbed profession and stuff).

Huh, I can't tell if Lore (Medicine/Doctor) covers knowledge of sickness and injury or if just Medicine does. Also nature and Religion are both knowledge skills that are based on wisdom. I guess to make them better for their primary users. And cover learning new spells (Sorcerers can learn new spells through skills! Awesome!).

Huh, I can't tell if Lore (Medicine/Doctor) covers knowledge of sickness and injury or if just Medicine does.
Medicine should cover all the actual medical stuff. Lore (Doctoring) would be more like how to set up and operate a medical practice. Or if you just wanted to focus on a particular subset, like Disease Lore for epidemiology or Autopsy Lore for forensics.

Lore skills are kind of ill-defined and I'm not sure how well they're gonna work out in practice.

Okay, pet peeve: Bronze dragons aren't bronze in most illustrations. They're sorta yellowy with green patina, which makesthem resemble Brass dragons. They should definitely be more brown-bronze.

IIRC they are based more on corroded bronze, which is supposed to explain that.
Corroded bronze is still more brown than yellow.
But then there's brass dragons, which are effectively yellow with wings that go from red to the same blue-green as bronze dragons. And copper dragons are a warm brown-orange with blue bits in the wings that also look like a lot like a bronze dragons 'distinctive pattern'. It's like metallic dragons are meant to be hard to tell apart based on color or something.

Let me do the math, hold on....

OK, so I'm GMT-5, Eastern Time Zone USA. So that's 10pm GMT when you're available, and thus 5pm for me. That works as far as I know.
When I Googled "what time is it in Melbourne?" I got seven hours earlier than Pacific time, which should be ten hours earlier than Eastern. One of us is off by an hour. Did we account for Daylight Savings?

Last edited:
When I Googled "what time is it in Melbourne?" I got seven hours earlier than Pacific time, which should be ten hours earlier than Eastern. One of us is off by an hour. Did we account for Daylight Savings?
I know that I'm currently-5 from whatever time it is in England right now. UTC is the daylight time without daylight savings, GMT is the time in England with daylight savings included, right?

Back