I've recently become sick to death of the increasingly common trope where a military or police unit has its command given over to someone new (usually the hero but not always) and one or several of the characters begin undercutting the new leader or pulling some macho nonsense to try and intimidate the new guy. Especially bad when these units are intended to be the top elite forces. I get that in any job new people given command will likely have an adjustment period, but these people are supposed to be professional soldiers. Unless the new commander is insane or obviously unfit for their duty why are these highly trained military units acting like dickish frat boys? The whole point of having a professional unit of trained people is so that they're able and willing to take commands in the field without arguing or disobeying. It doesn't make the troops look tough, it makes them look poorly trained and unfit for duty. I've never served but I'm willing to bet that if your unit was told to follow the command of a new guy if the first thing you did was get chest to chest with the guy, mouth off about how tough they were, and try to question their command you'd be thrown in the stockade. At the very least you'd be left off the mission.

I've recently become sick to death of the increasingly common trope where a military or police unit has its command given over to someone new (usually the hero but not always) and one or several of the characters begin undercutting the new leader or pulling some macho nonsense to try and intimidate the new guy. Especially bad when these units are intended to be the top elite forces. I get that in any job new people given command will likely have an adjustment period, but these people are supposed to be professional soldiers. Unless the new commander is insane or obviously unfit for their duty why are these highly trained military units acting like dickish frat boys? The whole point of having a professional unit of trained people is so that they're able and willing to take commands in the field without arguing or disobeying. It doesn't make the troops look tough, it makes them look poorly trained and unfit for duty. I've never served but I'm willing to bet that if your unit was told to follow the command of a new guy if the first thing you did was get chest to chest with the guy, mouth off about how tough they were, and try to question their command you'd be thrown in the stockade. At the very least you'd be left off the mission.

To be fair, there are elite military units who do in fact act like dickish frat boys and are infamous for that (well, that and war crimes, deeply uncomfortable behavior, etc, etc.)

If anything, top elite forces would probably have more of that then you think, because you have all the macho bullshit in the world stuffed into a very small bag, and then you have arrogance and confidence added to it.

That said, I get what you mean.

Hazing is actually really common in... God, everywhere where you have cause to be a macho POS. Which includes large parts of the military.

There was a time in history when the enlisted who gave his officer shit for existing just got shot. This is also not a new or radical idea.

There was a time in history when the enlisted who gave his officer shit for existing just got shot. This is also not a new or radical idea.
And there were cases when officers who were too horrible to their underlings could've been "accidentally" shot from behind in the heat of battle.

Yes, but hazing is generally done to those considered beneath you, not those who are your actual superior.

The issue here is that in modern militaries (or atleast the US military) officers and enlisted soldiers are very different things and you can conceivably end up with some teeny bopper officer with limited combat experience being assigned to some cowboy-ass special forces unit who might not neccessarily respect their authority.

With how little oversight such military units get there's plenty of room for shit to get just plain weird.

The issue here is that in modern militaries (or atleast the US military) officers and enlisted soldiers are very different things and you can conceivably end up with some teeny bopper officer with limited combat experience being assigned to some cowboy-ass special forces unit who might not neccessarily respect their authority.

With how little oversight such military units get there's plenty of room for shit to get just plain weird.

I suspect the issue is less that it's conceivable, but more that it happens so often in fiction that it has turned into a cliche, hence the thread title.

Also given how little oversight military units apparently get in these cases, which presumably happens on all sides, it's a wonder that anyone bothers with fighting a war in the first place, since it's all clownshoes nonsense of cowboy special forces hazing their actual direct superior officers.

The most true example of this is for West Point grads. They are pretty much universally reviled because they very often have big egos, constantly reminding everyone that they went to West Point, the social isolation West Point enforces on them makes them really awkward when they get out, think going to West Point means that know everything better than everyone else, and as such, arrives at units determined to change everything that doesn't need to be changed because they went to West Point and they know best and they went to West Point. Also, they went to West Point.

The result is an annoyance and lack of respect from the enlisted and fellow officers.

Cliche that I've been running into rather too much: the use of "Identify" type skills in fiction that takes place in a game or game-like setting.

It's not so much that the characters can use Identify to check someone's name and level and all that, although it goes get a little bizarre at times, with numerical values assigned to stuff like HP and MP.

It's that the narrative often likes to make a point of going "oh, but what skills you possess is not as important as your experience in using them", and then does something like this:

That's an entire page of nothing but listing skill after skill after skill, and maybe three of them are relevant for the story. And the narrative immediately points out which skills among that mess actually matter, which is a good thing, because I always glaze over when faced with a stat block like that. (It's not even all of the stat block, since titles and positions were on the next page.)

It's not even formatted properly like a DnD skill sheet. It's just a block of text.

And stories where Identify is a thing tends to do this, for some reason. It can't be fun for the author to have to maintain all these stat blocks for all these characters, so I have no idea why they put it in like this.

That's an entire page of nothing but listing skill after skill after skill, and maybe three of them are relevant for the story. And the narrative immediately points out which skills among that mess actually matter, which is a good thing, because I always glaze over when faced with a stat block like that. (It's not even all of the stat block, since titles and positions were on the next page.)

It's not even formatted properly like a DnD skill sheet. It's just a block of text.
See I've actually seen this work though only once, which is when Ariel first shows up in Spider.
『Origin Taratect LV139 Name Ariel

Status

HP:90098/90098(Green)+99999(Details)
MP:87655/87655(Blue)+99999(Details)
SP:89862/89862(Yellow)(Details)
:89856/89856(Red)+99567(Details)
Average Offensive Ability:90021(Details)
Average Defensive Ability:89997(Details)
Average Magic Ability:87504(Details)
Average Resistance Ability:87489(Details)
Average Speed Ability:89518(Details)

Skill

「Super-speed HP Recovery LV10」 「High-speed MP Recovery LV10」 「Great MP Consumption Down LV10」 「Precise Magic Manipulation LV10」 「Magic God Act LV10」 「Magic Granting LV10」 「Magic Enchantment LV10」 「Great Offensive Magic Power LV10」 「High-speed SP Recovery LV10」 「Great SP Consumption Down LV10」 「Great Enhanced Destruction LV10」 「Great Enhanced Blunt LV10」 「Great Enhanced Slashing LV8」 「Great Enhanced Piercing LV9」 「Great Enhanced Shock LV10」 「Great Enhanced Abnormal Condition LV10」 「War God Spirit LV10」 「Vitality Granting LV10」 「Ability Granting LV10」 「Great Vitality Attack LV10」 「Divine Dragon Power LV10」 「Divine Dragon Barrier LV10」 「Deadly Poison Attack LV10」 「Strong Paralysis Attack LV10」 「Poison Synthesis LV10」 「Medicine Synthesis LV10」 「Thread Genius LV10」 「God-weaving Thread」 「Thread Manipulation LV10」 「Psychokinesis LV10」 「Throw LV10」 「Shoot LV10」 「Space Maneuver LV10」 「Cooperation LV10」 「Strategist LV10」 「Kin Domination LV10」 「Spawning LV10」 「Summon LV10」 「Concentration LV10」 「Super Thought Acceleration LV6」 「Future Vision LV6」 「Parallel Will LV4」 「High-speed Calculation LV10」 「Accuracy LV10」 「Evasion LV10」 「Great Probability Correction LV10」 「Stealth LV10」 「Concealment LV10」 「Silent LV10」 「Odorless LV10」 「Emperor」 「Appraisal LV10」 「Detection LV10」 「Sublimation」 「Heresy Magic LV10」 「Fire Magic LV8」 「Water Magic LV10」 「Water Current Magic LV5」 「Wind Magic LV10」 「Storm Magic LV10」 「Heaven Storm Magic LV10」 「Soil Magic LV10」 「Earth Magic LV10」 「Ground Fissure Magic LV10」 「Thunder Magic LV10」 「Lightning Magic LV8」 「Light Magic LV10」 「Holy Light Magic LV2」 「Shadow Magic LV10」 「Dark Magic LV10」 「Darkness Magic LV10」 「Poison Magic LV10」 「Treatment Magic LV10」 「Space Magic LV2」 「Heavy Magic LV10」 「Abyss Magic LV10」 「Great Demon King LV10」 「Dignity LV5」 「Rage LV9」 「Gluttony」 「Usurpation LV8」 「Rest LV9」 「Decadence LV4」 「Physical Nullity」 「Flame Resistance LV5」 「Water Current Nullity」 「Storm Nullity」 「Earth Nullity」 「Lightning Nullity」 「Holy Light Resistance LV8」 「Darkness Nullity」 「Heavy Nullity」 「Abnormal Condition Nullity」 「Acid Nullity」 「Great Corrosion Resistance LV7」 「Faint Nullity」 「Fear Nullity」 「Great Heresy Resistance LV6」 「Pain Nullity」 「Sense of Pain Nullity」 「Night Vision LV10」 「Thousand Miles Eye LV10」 「Great Enhanced Five Senses LV10」 「Perception Range Expansion LV10」 「Divinity Area Expansion LV3」 「Destiny LV10」 「Heaven Mana LV10」 「Heaven Motion LV10」 「Abundant Sky LV10」 「Fortitude LV10」 「Fortress LV10」 「Heaven Path LV10」 「Heaven Protection LV10」 「Idaten LV10」 「Taboo LV10」

Skill point:0

Title
「Human Killer」 「Human Slaughterer」 「Natural Calamity of Human」 「Demon Killer」 「Demon Slaughterer」 「Natural Calamity of Demon」 「Fairy Killer」 「Fairy Slaughterer」 「Natural Calamity of Fairy」 「Monster Killer」 「Monster Slaughterer」 「Natural Calamity of Monster」 「Drake Killer」 「Drake Slaughterer」 「Natural Calamity of Drake」 「Dragon Killer」 「Dragon Slaughterer」 「Merciless」 「Gross Feeder」 「Blood Relative Eater」 「Assassin」 「Poison Technique User」 「Thread User」 「Puppeteer」 「Leading One」 「Conqueror」 「King」 「Ancient Divine Beast」 「Ruler of Gluttony」 「Demon King」』
Sure it's weighed down with a whole lot of text that's essentially meaningless but the sheer heft of it does a good job of selling how dire a threat Ariel is.

If the last 10 years were put in a story, AH.com would scream ASB at everything, from Trump to Brexit to Duke Nukem Forever.
No no no, I was not making a "reality is unrealistic" point.

My problem is with works of fictions that does that wink-at-the-fourth-wall thing of "ahah, but we're not in an anime/whatever"

No no no, I was not making a "reality is unrealistic" point.

My problem is with works of fictions that does that wink-at-the-fourth-wall thing of "ahah, but we're not in an anime/whatever"

I suppose I'm more lenient to situations where something fantastical has happened, and the character in the anime goes "this is just like an anime", with the implication that in their "real life", this would not have happened.

But I admit it's probably because in those situations, the show doesn't focus on that statement, leaving it as a plausible thing to say for someone in that situation. When badly done, the show lingers on that statement, making sure that the audience understands how clever the writers think they're being.

See I've actually seen this work though only once, which is when Ariel first shows up in Spider.
『Origin Taratect LV139 Name Ariel

Status

HP:90098/90098(Green)+99999(Details)
MP:87655/87655(Blue)+99999(Details)
SP:89862/89862(Yellow)(Details)
:89856/89856(Red)+99567(Details)
Average Offensive Ability:90021(Details)
Average Defensive Ability:89997(Details)
Average Magic Ability:87504(Details)
Average Resistance Ability:87489(Details)
Average Speed Ability:89518(Details)

Skill

「Super-speed HP Recovery LV10」 「High-speed MP Recovery LV10」 「Great MP Consumption Down LV10」 「Precise Magic Manipulation LV10」 「Magic God Act LV10」 「Magic Granting LV10」 「Magic Enchantment LV10」 「Great Offensive Magic Power LV10」 「High-speed SP Recovery LV10」 「Great SP Consumption Down LV10」 「Great Enhanced Destruction LV10」 「Great Enhanced Blunt LV10」 「Great Enhanced Slashing LV8」 「Great Enhanced Piercing LV9」 「Great Enhanced Shock LV10」 「Great Enhanced Abnormal Condition LV10」 「War God Spirit LV10」 「Vitality Granting LV10」 「Ability Granting LV10」 「Great Vitality Attack LV10」 「Divine Dragon Power LV10」 「Divine Dragon Barrier LV10」 「Deadly Poison Attack LV10」 「Strong Paralysis Attack LV10」 「Poison Synthesis LV10」 「Medicine Synthesis LV10」 「Thread Genius LV10」 「God-weaving Thread」 「Thread Manipulation LV10」 「Psychokinesis LV10」 「Throw LV10」 「Shoot LV10」 「Space Maneuver LV10」 「Cooperation LV10」 「Strategist LV10」 「Kin Domination LV10」 「Spawning LV10」 「Summon LV10」 「Concentration LV10」 「Super Thought Acceleration LV6」 「Future Vision LV6」 「Parallel Will LV4」 「High-speed Calculation LV10」 「Accuracy LV10」 「Evasion LV10」 「Great Probability Correction LV10」 「Stealth LV10」 「Concealment LV10」 「Silent LV10」 「Odorless LV10」 「Emperor」 「Appraisal LV10」 「Detection LV10」 「Sublimation」 「Heresy Magic LV10」 「Fire Magic LV8」 「Water Magic LV10」 「Water Current Magic LV5」 「Wind Magic LV10」 「Storm Magic LV10」 「Heaven Storm Magic LV10」 「Soil Magic LV10」 「Earth Magic LV10」 「Ground Fissure Magic LV10」 「Thunder Magic LV10」 「Lightning Magic LV8」 「Light Magic LV10」 「Holy Light Magic LV2」 「Shadow Magic LV10」 「Dark Magic LV10」 「Darkness Magic LV10」 「Poison Magic LV10」 「Treatment Magic LV10」 「Space Magic LV2」 「Heavy Magic LV10」 「Abyss Magic LV10」 「Great Demon King LV10」 「Dignity LV5」 「Rage LV9」 「Gluttony」 「Usurpation LV8」 「Rest LV9」 「Decadence LV4」 「Physical Nullity」 「Flame Resistance LV5」 「Water Current Nullity」 「Storm Nullity」 「Earth Nullity」 「Lightning Nullity」 「Holy Light Resistance LV8」 「Darkness Nullity」 「Heavy Nullity」 「Abnormal Condition Nullity」 「Acid Nullity」 「Great Corrosion Resistance LV7」 「Faint Nullity」 「Fear Nullity」 「Great Heresy Resistance LV6」 「Pain Nullity」 「Sense of Pain Nullity」 「Night Vision LV10」 「Thousand Miles Eye LV10」 「Great Enhanced Five Senses LV10」 「Perception Range Expansion LV10」 「Divinity Area Expansion LV3」 「Destiny LV10」 「Heaven Mana LV10」 「Heaven Motion LV10」 「Abundant Sky LV10」 「Fortitude LV10」 「Fortress LV10」 「Heaven Path LV10」 「Heaven Protection LV10」 「Idaten LV10」 「Taboo LV10」

Skill point:0

Title
「Human Killer」 「Human Slaughterer」 「Natural Calamity of Human」 「Demon Killer」 「Demon Slaughterer」 「Natural Calamity of Demon」 「Fairy Killer」 「Fairy Slaughterer」 「Natural Calamity of Fairy」 「Monster Killer」 「Monster Slaughterer」 「Natural Calamity of Monster」 「Drake Killer」 「Drake Slaughterer」 「Natural Calamity of Drake」 「Dragon Killer」 「Dragon Slaughterer」 「Merciless」 「Gross Feeder」 「Blood Relative Eater」 「Assassin」 「Poison Technique User」 「Thread User」 「Puppeteer」 「Leading One」 「Conqueror」 「King」 「Ancient Divine Beast」 「Ruler of Gluttony」 「Demon King」』
Sure it's weighed down with a whole lot of text that's essentially meaningless but the sheer heft of it does a good job of selling how dire a threat Ariel is.
Is all of that really necessary? Does it matter if some skills are level 7 instead of 10? What about 8? Really, all that was needed were few entries from the Title section. Or maybe use "Unknown" or "Classified" or something.

Medaka Box did this too with one of the villains who had a ridiculous amount of skills. The artist actually wrote out every one of her skills in the page backgrounds.

Is all of that really necessary? Does it matter if some skills are level 7 instead of 10? What about 8?
Yes it does because some skills are incredibly rare, hard to raise, and become powerful with a low number of levels than others. Also combinations are extremely OP.

In the context of that series, where you follow the protagonist and see her gain skills and levels, it really hits home how ridiculous having all of that at once is.

Last edited:
Back