Doesn't China also have experience with pandemics in the past, like SARS? That might be why they've done better.
I kind of assumed it was a bit of China not having that Neoliberal brain where they assume the government needs to have it's hands tied behind their back at all times or its bad.

I kind of assumed it was a bit of China not having that Neoliberal brain where they assume the government needs to have it's hands tied behind their back at all times or its bad.
I'd say it's more the CCP not having that liberal brain that stops them going in with some really repressive crap. I'll take what we have in the West over the shit that government pulls.

They were, after all, locking up whistleblowers until that became untenable, and straight-up fibbed to the WHO.

Last edited:
I really hate when people can just go through a glass window or anything made of glass and not have shards of glass painfully inserted into your bosy

I really hate when people can just go through a glass window or anything made of glass and not have shards of glass painfully inserted into your bosy

Related to this: when people just open their eyes underwater -- especially when it's sea water. The first one's not that bad, though how they could do that for so long without having their eyes stinging is a mystery. But the second one, though? Shit's fucked up.

Related to this: when people just open their eyes underwater -- especially when it's sea water. The first one's not that bad, though how they could do that for so long without having their eyes stinging is a mystery. But the second one, though? Shit's fucked up.
Tis actually a trainable/learnable skill. Old Greek oyster divers used to do it, for example. Look up sea silk or byssus, btw, for good fun.

pool water is the worst place to do it because of chlorine

Last edited:

It's not actually that rare. I'm the odd one out in my family because I can't do it and insist on goggles when we go to the beach - my near-sixty year old mom can dive with open eyes in the Atlantic with very little issue.

I don't do much swimming anymore, but can absolutely vouch for child me hating goggles and just opening his eyes underwater back in the day. It's perfectly possible to do in whatever form of water, though yes it can eventually fuck up your eyes from my understanding.

Admittedly, I don't have that much experience with seawater, but I distinctly remember swimming underwater in the Baltic with my eyes open and it being not that bad? At least for a short while.

You can smash through glass and not get cut that badly. Moreover, when you're pumped up you probably won't even notice. Now doors, doors can be tricky.

Interior ones are fine usually, but even for someone of my size if they happen to have good antique oak well installed? You'll bounce and it really really hurts.

Do you guys not have safety glass?
If it is laminated glass you might actually be even more screwed if you actually manage to punch through it. Your arm will be stuck because the entire glass pane did not break. Tempered glass on the hand would at least completely break so should be safer to go through when normal annealed glass. The problem is that safety glass is much harder to actually break in the first place so the "dramtic entry through window" is more likely to end in a painful bounce.

Villain power cliche-

"Ok, I have this really cool tricky power which so far has messed up my opponents at every turn- but I'm going to turn it in for an even greater power: Getting really strong and/or big!"

This leads to the defeat of so many villains because it makes beating them *simplier*, the hero now only needs to figure out how to hit them really hard, and even in the odd case where they'd lose anyway, it makes the fight more boring.

The tricky power can be illusion, speed, some form of telekinesis/control power they use to make a giant body, etc..

Back