A Certain Scientific XCOM Project

@Skarmory

Would either of these be acceptable cannon commander candidates?
-Heaven Canceller
-Hamazura Shiage

I assume that all Lvl. 5s are off the list completely.

Personally I love Touma but him as the commander just doesn't feel that right with me (Probably because of how OP his arm really is). Though on the original list I think Tsuchimikado Motoharu, is the best choice and gives us an easier chance to recruit some magic side characters later on and "Auto Rebirth" may be able to save us if we personally go into the field.

So for now:
[X] Tsuchimikado Motoharu
[X] Moderate Mechanics
[X] Accept MISAKAs offer of a tour.

Touma punched an archangel once. And hes the same age as Tsuchimikado. He's not good at fighting non-supernaturals personally though.

Its mostly that he has a huge array of allies to call on(Index at least is freeloading still) and the personal loyalty of the Misakas.

Last edited:
I'd rather not have Touma as he offers no benefit on the research side of things and as stated by someone else usually sucks at fighting anyone who doesn't rely on supernatural abilities. Not to mention his chronic hero syndrome will cause some issues and he is way too moral to do any of the more questionable stuff.

I'm more in favour of the Undressress as she has pretty good bonuses with the Level Upper being the biggest of the bunch as it should allow us to set up soldiers with more than one esper ability.

Not that he's bad at research, his Thing would be the massive spread of cross factional allies who guest star

[X] Kiyama Harumi
[X] XCOM

[X] Kiyama Harumi
[X] Moderate Mechanics

Not that he's bad at research, his Thing would be the massive spread of cross factional allies who guest star
Maybe but calling them in too early will likely lead to more than a couple getting killed or captured, not to mention the previously stated chronic hero syndrome that results in him regularly ending up in hospital. Do you honestly think he's the kind of person who's sit back and command rather than on the front lines?

@Skarmory

Would either of these be acceptable cannon commander candidates?
-Heaven Canceller
-Hamazura Shiage

I assume that all Lvl. 5s are off the list completely.

I'll allow both of your suggestions, if only because Hamazura already has organization leading experience.

By the way, here's a list of some of the new 'Commander' candidates people have suggested, and the abilities they would have, for your convenience:

[ ] Kamijou Touma

Simultaneously the least powerful and most powerful esper in Academy City, you have a unique talent for ending up in terrible, dangerous, or plain awkward situations. Since your ability is so powerful as to negate your own luck, it is doubtful what utility you would possess as the Commander of XCOM, but Academy City may have decided that since they can't beat you, they might as well join you.

Selecting Kamijou Touma will cause the following effects:

Harem Master: Female espers other than Kuroko are significantly more likely to agree to donate genetic material, and significantly more likely to agree to aid XCOM in missions on a temporary basis.
Trouble Magnet: Missions occur more frequently, increasing the number of opportunities soldiers have to hone their skills.
Misfortune: All soldiers have an decreased chance to hit shots, a decreased chance to crit, and an increased chance to be critted by enemies.

[ ] Hamazura Shiage

A truly talentless level 0 who has fought against the Dark Side of Academy City for years, you've played many roles in your life, including leading Skill Out's crusade against espers and founding the Hamazura Brigade. Even though you're working for the man now, you'll use the power vested in you as Commander to protect the people you love and the city you love to hate.

Selecting Hamazura Shiage will cause the following effects:

Capacity Down: XCOM starts with deployable Capacity Down devices that neutralize all esper and psionic powers within a large radius. Capacity Down units can be recovered and reused so long as they are not destroyed in battle.
Construction Expertise: Facilities are constructed more quickly at lower cost.
Skill-Out: Espers develop their powers at a slower rate, and are more hesitant to donate genetic material.

[ ] Heaven Canceller

A mysterious doctor and scientist, you have developed an unusual expertise at saving lives. You have been responsible for numerous espers surviving injuries they had no right whatsoever to survive. However, your lack of operational expertise may prove detrimental to XCOM's efforts.

Selecting Heaven Canceller will cause the following effects:

Dark Legacy: Soldiers whose HP is depleted are more likely to be incapacitated or critically wounded instead of killed, and recovery time for all injuries is decreased.
Advanced Genetics: XCOM starts the game with a Genetics Laboratory.
Good Samaritan: XCOM will always accept any mission where civilians are in immediate danger, regardless of the risk to XCOM operatives.

Until we get a formal update schedule in place, I'll be lenient with time schedules and getting your votes in. I plan to update this quest between once every 2 to 3 days and once per week, so there'll be plenty of time to think over your options and get votes in.

Another mechanical update to keep in mind is that combat actions will be handled by chronological Riot Voting, where all votes are processed in the order they were submitted, so that I can cover more stuff in a single round of combat and keep fights from dragging on.

The next update may occur any time after 3 PM EST today, so long as there have not been any votes or posts in the preceding 4 hours. The 'hard limit' for this vote is Thursday at 3 PM, unless there's a really good debate going on.

Last edited:
Maybe but calling them in too early will likely lead to more than a couple getting killed or captured, not to mention the previously stated chronic hero syndrome that results in him regularly ending up in hospital. Do you honestly think he's the kind of person who's sit back and command rather than on the front lines?
Put him in power armor? I mean normally he can hardly afford lunch after Index, but here he'd actually have wargear.

The reason I'd like Touma as the protagonist is mostly because I think it would be funny. And also dampen the chances of our player avatar being killed.
Heaven Canceller looks like an interesting choice, and in my opinion he has the best possible Disadvantage, but Kiyama Harumi makes sense as a choice for empowering the MISAKAs. Level Upper is an enormous benefit.
That said, it might not be beyond our reach with another Commander, if we ask for her release. Is that viable, @Skarmory?

[X] Kiyama Harumi
[X] Moderate Mechanics

The reason I'd like Touma as the protagonist is mostly because I think it would be funny. And also dampen the chances of our player avatar being killed.
Heaven Canceller looks like an interesting choice, and in my opinion he has the best possible Disadvantage, but Kiyama Harumi makes sense as a choice for empowering the MISAKAs. Level Upper is an enormous benefit.
That said, it might not be beyond our reach with another Commander, if we ask for her release. Is that viable, @Skarmory?
Yeah the Level Upper can be insanely useful if used right, off the top of my head we can probably set something up where Espers who are in commas to get it so that their powers can be used by our troops. Although we'd probably need to set it up so that the abilities are distributed so as to not have all our eggs in one basket.

Your Commander will not be taking the field in combat, so don't worry about that. You'll be sitting in base giving orders like in normal XCOM.

You're right that Heaven Canceller's debuff is not very severe, but that's because his 'Dark Legacy' bonus doesn't do all that much for you unless...well...you're fucking up and getting people killed.

I'll talk more about Level Upper in a second:

Yeah the Level Upper can be insanely useful if used right, off the top of my head we can probably set something up where Espers who are in commas to get it so that their powers can be used by our troops. Although we'd probably need to set it up so that the abilities are distributed so as to not have all our eggs in one basket.

You'll want to be careful with putting a bunch of people in comas with the Level Upper device, because I'm sure that given her history with the device, Kiyama Harumi wouldn't be very happy with it. That said, as a way to give a little boost to the growth of your Espers, it's a very useful tool.

It's worth noting that you can still build a Level Upper if you don't choose Kiyama Harumi as a commander, but choosing Kiyama lets you start with it and makes it slightly more effective than if you had just built it otherwise.

Heh. Donate genetic material.

This is Biribiri's unhappy face. Don't make Biribiri unhappy.
The innuendo was intentional there. But seriously, this isn't gonna be that kind of quest.

[X] Hamazura Shiage
[X] XCOM

As for the commander, I can't decide between Kiyama Harumi or Hamazura Shiage.

Last edited:
Your Commander will not be taking the field in combat, so don't worry about that. You'll be sitting in base giving orders like in normal XCOM.

You're right that Heaven Canceller's debuff is not very severe, but that's because his 'Dark Legacy' bonus doesn't do all that much for you unless...well...you're fucking up and getting people killed.

I'll talk more about Level Upper in a second:

You'll want to be careful with putting a bunch of people in comas with the Level Upper device, because I'm sure that given her history with the device, Kiyama Harumi wouldn't be very happy with it. That said, as a way to give a little boost to the growth of your Espers, it's a very useful tool.

It's worth noting that you can still build a Level Upper if you don't choose Kiyama Harumi as a commander, but choosing Kiyama lets you start with it and makes it slightly more effective than if you had just built it otherwise.
Hence why I planned to only use it on those that A) have consented and B) Spread it out to prevent incidents of it going wild from happening.

Back