A Certain Scientific XCOM Project

Since everyone who's voted seems to be in favor of scrapping Riot Voting, that's what we'll do. Feel free to vote as you would for a standard quest, with a majority or plurality vote determining the winning plan.

I'll be tagging people who voted on the first update but haven't shown up since to try to recover some players, though I'm not sure how effective it'll be. I still plan to have some sort of mechanism to increase discussion, but I haven't really thought about it all that much. It could be anywhere from a 12 hour voting moratorium after each update to a requirement that every vote come with at least one sentence providing context, or anything else you guys can come up with.

In the meantime, get voting on the actual quest! Deadline will be whenever I feel a consensus has been reached.

Well, right now, he's probably upstairs. Not very keen on following him, though, especially since he might have friends.

I'm tempted to simply deal with the one we can see, then bunker up inside to avoid being shot at from the first floor. The grenade booby trap should help secure the stairs. Then it should only be a matter of time before he comes down (though he might find a ladder somewhere and exit elsewhere. We didn't check the whole building up for alternative entry points, but there might be some. alternatively, if there are indeed another group of enemies waiting, there might be one or several thin men among them, and those guys jump around like nobody's business).

[X] 10035 move to opposite side of the hole and fire upon S2
[X] 10032 move inside and kill S2 if 10035 could not
-[X] If its dead then overwatch the offices and right door
[X] 10033 move up to tellers and overwatch the stairwell and backdoor
-[X] Kill S2 instead if its still alive
[X] 10034 get inside and watch out for fire from the upper floors/roof.

Opposite side of the hole give 35 a better shot anyway, just hope nothing comes around the corner.

[X] 10032 move inside and stun S2
[X] 10033 move up to tellers and overwatch the stairwell and backdoor.
-[X] Kill S2 instead if it's still alive.
[X] 10034 move up to right front door pillar and overwatch
[X] 10035 move to 10033 old position and overwatch

Last edited:
[X] 10035 move to opposite side of the hole and fire upon S2.
[X] 10032 move inside and kill S2 if 10035 could not.
-[X] If its dead then overwatch the offices and right door.
-[X] Kill S2 instead if its still alive.
[X] 10034 get inside and watch out for fire from the upper floors/roof.

I have a slight concern with this plan, and that is 10035 positioning. It "should" be safe enough, but if a hostile peeks at the window from the first floor (are there windows?) or find a way to get down to ground level from the back and peek at the alley, she is entirely open for an attack.

[X] wootius

Seems safer right now. Even though 34 and 35 are not inside yet, at least they're sticking to the wall, should make any targeting attempt uncomfortable.

Last call for votes, I'll be updating in the morning if there's no swing in the voting.

Seems safer right now. Even though 34 and 35 are not inside yet, at least they're sticking to the wall, should make any targeting attempt uncomfortable.
No it isn't, I'll give you the possibility of a fire escape in the back, but there's more likely to be windows in the front than on the side. And Wootius ignores the stair-well thing.

Did Skarm say we have to specify the overwatch direction?
No, but we've been acting outside of what's possible if we were playing by strict XCOM mechanics (or could have, like opening the door with a roll via screwing with the electricity/wiring for it). That goes both ways. Or it really should.

So potentially a roll instead of missing it flat out I suppose.

Nothing about using entirely new esper powers suggest overwatch works differently. Everything is via a roll...

If there's a penalty I'm sure we'll be told about it. Tutorial mission and all.

Overwatch works the same way it does in XCOM games Enemy Unknown and later; you take a free reaction shot on any enemy that changes position within vision of the overwatching soldier, but shots fired in Overwatch take a fixed accuracy penalty and cannot critical hit.

I have the 'written' portion of the update done, all I need to do is update the map, but I don't feel like doing that until tomorrow. Update should go up midway through tomorrow morning EST.

Last edited:
No it isn't, I'll give you the possibility of a fire escape in the back, but there's more likely to be windows in the front than on the side. And Wootius ignores the stair-well thing.

Even if they do, aiming at someone who's sticking to the wall leaves you in a pretty awkward position. And there's a good chance the one who'll try that will find two MISAKA in overwatch to shoot his face.

The other plan leaves 10035 completely isolated (no-one can cover her) and not in overwatch. She's literally a sitting duck.

Operation Electric Dawn, Part 4

"10032, get inside and stun that x-ray!" you call out. 10032's feed, specially marked as that of the leader, moves inside the building, pivoting right as she sees the alien behind the counter. Hearing MISAKA's approaching footsteps, the alien fires its pistol over the counter without looking, and misses 10032 by several feet.

Before the alien can aim and fire again, MISAKA grabs the gun's barrel in her hand, conducting a burst of electricity through it. The alien shudders for a moment, then slumps against the counter.

"'X-ray down, Commander' MISAKA reports." Crouching behind the teller's desk, the girl holds her left hand up in front of her face, revealing a rapidly reddening burn. "Perhaps MISAKA should not have grabbed onto the gun barrel after firing."

"Everyone move up!" you call out. "Wounded units provide cover from outside while the healthy units sweep the building!"

The units position themselves as directed, sweeping forwards and around the front of the building. 10035's view points down the side alley where she was nearly ventilated by plasma rounds, while 10034's view tracks back and forth across the room.

Suddenly, 10032 and 10033's guns snap upwards, and the pair of them spin to face the eastern side of the building. "Footsteps," 10032 reports dispassionately.

[STATUS REPORT]

Allies
MISAKA 10035

HP: 3/4 | Armor: 0/1
Rifle ammo: 3 bursts before reload
Frag Grenade: Used
Esper Abilities: Available
MISAKA 10034

HP: 2/4 | Armor: 0/1
Rifle ammo: 2 bursts before reload.
Frag Grenade: Available
Esper Abilities: Spark on cooldown (1 turn)
MISAKA 10033

HP: 4/4 | Armor: 1/1
Rifle ammo: 3 burst before reload
Frag Grenade: Available
Esper Abilities: Ready
MISAKA 10032

HP: 4/4 | Armor: 1/1
Rifle ammo: 3 bursts before reload.
Frag Grenade: Used
Esper Abilities: Arc Thrower on cooldown (1 turn)

Enemies
Sectoids

S1: Deceased
S2: Disabled; can be recovered alive for interrogation
S3: Deceased
S4: Unknown, Moved into the stairwell proper (no longer visible)
Drones

D1: Destroyed; wreckage in front of bank entrance
D2: Disabled; drone is waiting at 10035's position

Who?

[ ] MISAKA 10035
[ ] MISAKA 10034
[ ] MISAKA 10033
[ ] MISAKA 10032

What?

[ ] Change positions
-[ ] Write in

[ ] Fire at an enemy.
-[ ] S4
-[ ] ???

[ ] Assume an overwatch position.

[ ] Use a frag grenade (if available)
-[ ] Write in

[ ] Use an esper ability (if available)
-[ ] Write in

As of this update, players have voted to permanently move to a traditional quest voting system. Over the next few votes, I'll be tagging a few people who haven't posted since combat started each update to come back and vote again, in case it was the combat system that you were unhappy with.

To help create discusssion and discourage blind bandwagoning, no votes will be counted for 12 hours after each update. You may propose votes freely, but I won't count votes before 10:00 PM EST to allow people who aren't on at the time of the update a fair chance to contribute to the group's strategy.

@cupcakeviolater @pianoman @souvikkundu @Void Stalker @HatsuZ

If you stopped posting because of the riot voting, that's gone. If you stopped posting for some other reason feel free to leave again if you like, or tell me why so I can do something about it. Either way is fine.

EDIT to clarify: Since someone asked, you can POST before the 12 hour mark all you want.

Last edited:
Okay, so far so good. Though I admit, I am uncertain on what to do now. Rushing upstairs doesn't appeal to me, but sitting down until the aliens make a move isn't exactly a pleasant option either. Hmmm...

Rushing upstairs is a problem, yeah. Whoever goes up is bound to get shot, though I suppose they can sweep the stairwell, and then chuck a hello-grenade over before rushing up in it's wake.

As for the mystery tippy toes. I think if 10032 stays silent, we could probably get first shot as it passes the door.

Back