Momentum is overwhelming. Not at all dissimilar to a Roman election, really.

So pretty much like us if we go with Plan Cicero?

I mean, we're a patrician who publicly belongs to the Optimate class, whose formative years are being spent studying Roman law and tradition under the quintessential Traditionalist, but whose private sympathies lie with the Idealists who love Rome because she is good.

Works for me! I'm going to keep the Idealist vote (sorry @Caesar, it was a near thing), so no changes on the horizon. Here's a tally.

"Cato seems to think that he is living in the Republic of Plato, not the shithole of Romulus." - An idealist, apparently. :p

Tongue in cheek, obviously, I just happened to run across the quotation today and couldn't resist. More seriously, I doubt there's much major, discernible day to day difference between an Idealist and a moderate Traditionalist. (Well, using Cicero and Lucullus as the benchmarks anyway.) They can both agree that demagoguery is bad and that Cato is an ass and, in the end, isn't that what matters?

Nah, if I have a problem with Plan Cicero, it's Recitals instead of Debates. Like I said, these choices are important for our marketing, and I'd rather we do things we're good at. (And if you're worried about meeting the man himself, ask yourself if you think Marcus Tullius Cicero is actually physically capable of staying away when he hears about the new student of Scaevola tearing it up on the debate circuit.)

"but whose private sympathies lie with the Idealists who love Rome because she is good."
Zzz. Why are we searching for "the good"?
I play these quests set in ancient times to get away from modern conceptions of good and evil, to see through the eyes of the ancients, who didn't believe in "equality" between men, and, as an aristocrat here, those who only sought to widen the gulf between them and other men.
But of course, people vote to be a populist and reformer, bringing modernity where it should not be. Now I read a quest where Rome goes further from aristocracy and towards demotist politics. Disappointed.

[X] Plan Hortensius

A counterbalance is needed and I think it would be more interesting to go the traditionalist route. The populares have been in power for a long time and a counterbalance is needed. Hegelian dialectics, bitches! /pedant

Changed my mind.

If there's a chance to become the voice of the republic, head and shoulders above Cicero, I'll take it.

He can be a less effective Maecenas to us.

IV: O Tempera

[X] Plan Cicero
[X] Populares
-[X] Idealist
[X] The Priesthood
[X] Law
[X] Training
[X] Exhibition
[X] Recitals
March 6th, 86 BC
668 Years After The Founding Of Rome
The Year of Cinna and Marius.

The year begins with tragedy and fire.

Marius, the great general who has seven times been Consul, collapses in the Curia of a massive heart attack, a titan tumbling to his knees in the very Senate he fought to control. Though treated to the best care the city has to offer, he falls into a deep fever, and lies trapped between this world and the next.

Rome becomes a city unmoored. For half a century, Marius has shaped events around him simply by existing, and even at the doors of death, he continues to exert his mighty influence. His son, Marius the Younger, and his co-consul, Cinna, struggle to keep control of the city he strove to conquer. Men armed with clubs march through the streets, tearing enemies of Marius from their homes and beating them within inches of their lives -- or sometimes killing them outright. Even your sponsor, Scaevola, is forced to withdraw from public after a mob forms against him at a routine public ceremony. As Pontifex, his life is still sacrosanct and holy -- at least, it should be to any who care about the traditions of the Republic. But Rome is a city unhelmed without Marius, and it's traditions seem forgotten.

Marius' legions riot. Fires without count tear through Rome. Mobs sack the Forum. Men vanish in the night only to reappear days later facedown in the Tiber. Shops are looted and their owners slain in their beds. Women fear to walk alone, and men travel armed.

Rome burns.

And then Marius wakes.

On the fifteenth day of the rioting, he emerges from his home hale and unbent, his eyes clear and bright. The Consul lives, and in a voice like thunder, he reproaches his servants and his soldiers. He speaks to them like a father to his children -- no, like a god to his worshipers -- and at once, the Roman mob, the bane of kings and aristocrats alike, disperses. Marius lives, and it seems the greatest man of his generation has saved Rome again, this time by not dying. The populares rally as one behind him, their factionalism and powermongering forgotten. Even the remnants of the optimates fall in line, for they have seen what Rome becomes without Marius at it's head -- a great and mongrel dog, twisting and gnawing upon it's own flesh. For the moment, at least, Marius has unified his rule and solidifed his power in one fell stroke, simply by collapsing on the Senate floor.

In the wake of Marius' illness and miraculous return, Scaevola's power is more unsure than ever before. In order to shore up his foundering powebase, he asks you to recruit and train a new batch of guards for the Temple of the Vestal Virgins. While the Virgins themselves are already adequately protected, Scaevola, as Pontifex, is one of the only men allowed to remain in the Temple indefinitely -- making it the ultimate refuge if the Marians finally overcome tradition and honor enough to seek his head. The men you are training, you would guess, will serve as his last line of defense should all else fail. It is a sign of the state of things in Rome, you reflect, that even a man who has built his life on the backs of tradition and decorum must make contingencies that rely on both of them crumbling.

Picking The Men: 1d20 + 2 (Accomplished Military) + 0 (Average Command) + 1 (Intelligence Bonus) = 22
Needed: 11
Epic Success

Training: 1d20 + 2 (Accomplished Military) + 2 (Accomplished Charisma) + 0 (Average Command) +1 (Intelligence Bonus) = 12
Needed: 10
Complicated Success

Friend of the Virgins: 1d20 +2 (Accomplished Charisma) +1 (Intelligence Bonus) = 15
Needed: 13
Moderate Success

Friend of the Priests: 1d20 + 2 (Accomplished Charisma) +1 (Intelligence Bonus) + 1 (Scaevola's Patronage) = 16
Needed: 12
Success

Rolz Room

You manage to rally together twenty-odd men with skilled pasts and good references. Many of them are former legionnaires, and you trim through the selections for those who seem rash, quick to anger, or those who simply don't seem like a good fit to be standing watch over virgins day and night. After careful selection, you come away with a group of men most cohorts in the legions would be envious of, with enough skill and battle experience between them to rival a hundred legionnaires.

Perhaps it is their knowledge and skill which makes training them such a difficult prospect, then. Though you are well-spoken enough and as skilled in martial matters as any Tribune, whipping them into shape is stubbornly difficult. You have to try multiple tacks before you find something that sticks and force them into a training regimen. A part of you understands that this is merely a symptom of your inexperience -- the only men you've ever commanded before this were the guards at your father's estate, and they had to snap to your command. Finally, however, you think you've whipped them into shape, even if they're not as well-drilled as you might have liked.

Training these men gives you ample reason to be in an about the House of the Vestal Virgins, where the holy sisters dwell, with special dispensation from Scaevola. In your time in the House, you interact with many of the priestesses, and though you do not strike off especially well with most of them, you happen to make the acquaintance of the Vestalis Maxima herself, the Greatest of the Vestals. A matronly woman named Galeria, she takes a certain liking to you, and even extends Scaevola's dispensation, allowing you to call upon the Vestalis Maxima whenever she is within her domicile. This is a not-insignificant privilege -- indeed, it is Roman law that a man who lays eyes upon a Vestal Virgin on the day of his execution will be freed from death, and many doomed men have leveraged their friendships with a Virgin to save themselves from the headsman's block.

Apart from the priestesses, you mingle with the priests and holy men who regularly frequent Scaevola's home, where you now reside for the duration of your time in Rome. You have a somewhat better result than with the virgins, and though you do not strike it off with any one priest in particular, you do make decent connections with a great number of very important men who now know your name, including the sons of several very prominent Senators. Your association with Scaevola and the upper echelons of the priesthood does not go unnoticed, and you soon hear from Proserpina that very important people are starting to speak your name and associate it with Scaevola's -- for good or for ill.

(Reputation Increased: Rank I: Notable)

As a reward for your services to him, and in fulfillment of his promise at the year's beginning, Scaevola takes you under his wing during what little free time remains to him as Pontifex Maximus, and begins to teach you of the Laws of the Republic. Rome's laws are winding, byzantine, and complex, but Scaevola has spent his entire life mastering them. He is a living legend in the judicial arts, and as he explains them, even the most maddening intricacies of Roman law simply melt away. At the same time, he teaches you how to hold a crowd, how to speak for hours without tiring as the ancient Greeks did, how to push air through your lungs and bellow in that way which mesmerizes the watching crowd. Though your time is short, you are intelligent and quick-witted, and grasp concepts as quickly as he can explain them. The brilliant teacher meets the gifted student, and you walk away with an understanding of the Law to rival most Romans now living.

Law Education: 1d35000 + 1000 (Legendary Teacher Bonus) + 500 (Gift of Minerva) = 34285 XP

Rank 4: 3,000 XP
Rank 5: 4,000 XP
Rank 6: 5,000 XP
Rank 7: 6,000 XP
Rank 8: 7,000 XP
Rank 9: 8,000 XP
(285/9000) XP left to Rank 10

Oratory Education: 1d27000 +400 (Renowned Teacher Bonus) + 500 (Gift of Minerva) = 9413 XP

Rank 10: 9,000 XP
(413/10,000) XP left to Rank 11

Law Increased: Rank 9 (Proficient)
Oratory Increased: Rank 10 (Accomplished)

You attempt to meet with the Senator Curtilius to discuss your sister's marriage, but upon investigating, you find that he fled the city after Marius' collapse, fearing for his life as an Optimate. You make a note to meet with him when he returns from self-imposed exile, but without the pater familias of the Curtilii in attendance, the marriage cannot be cancelled, much less go through.

The great orator Philo of Larissa has come to Rome fleeing his native Athens, where Sulla wars ferociously with the Greek King Mithridates for dominance over Greece. He brings with him ten centuries of Greek knowledge and philosophy, passed down through the hoary ages from Plato himself. Seeking to enhance your knowledge of the arts which your father sorely neglected in favor of more 'Roman' activities, you attend one of his recitals, and watch, enraptured, as the bearded Greek recites verbatim the words of men who lived a dozen generations ago, speaking of philosophical concepts which, you admit, might fly just a little over your head. Nevertheless, after a few repeated attendances, you pick up a little something about philosophy.

Philosophy Education: 1d35000 +500 (Epic Teacher) +500 (Gift of Minerva) = 7347

Rank 3: 2000 XP
Rank 4: 3000 XP
Rank 5: 4000 XP
(374/5,000) XP to Rank 6

Philosophy Increased: Rank 5 (Average)

However, when you try to approach him after a recital to speak, though he is initially receptive to your overtures for friendship, he quickly becomes annoyed by your lack of any serious knowledge about the Classics, and abandons the conversation. Despite his rebuffing, however, you do make valuable connections at the recitals: namely, a young man by the name of Titus Pomponius, a former student of Scaevola who has become enraptured with the works of the Greeks. He hounds Philo day and night, soaking up every syllable the great thinker speaks. So great is his love for Greece and it works that he has taken to calling himself Atticus -- literally, 'Man-of-Athens'. Despite his particular obsession with Greece, he is a bright and intelligent man, and makes for good conversation. The two of you quickly hit it off, and you and Atticus become fast friends, debating philosophy and law long into the night.

July 11th, 86 BC
668 Years After The Founding Of Rome
The Year of Cinna and Marius.

You reel back, breathing hard. Sweat inches down your face in rivulets, coating your tunic to your body. The warm Roman sun shines down on your back, casting it's bright face over your panting form. Blood rushes through your body, pounding through your ears and flowing like fire through your chest. You were born for this, you know, like a thousand generations of Romans before you -- born for the steel and the sword and the thrill of battle. Though the heavy practice sword in your hands is only dull bronze, you have never felt more alive than now.

You stand in the heart of the Forum, in a wide open space which has been cleared for the purpose of sparring. Your opponent, a tall legionnaire with a broken nose and a mat of dusty blonde hair, is the reigning champion among the young men who gather here to spar and train biweekly, and has dominated the combats for over a month. After you sent a half-dozen of his friends sprawling into the dust in the last month, however he has stepped up to challenge you himself.

He is not unskilled, you think as you eye him warily. But he leaves himself wide too often, moves with practiced rigidity instead of fluidity. It is the telltale flaw of the Roman legionnaire, one your father trained you to detect. The oiled and practiced movements of the cohort, while expected and encouraged in the legions, leave your opponent at a disadvantage in one-on-one combat.

Sensing an opening, you dart forward, your practice sword whistling through the air as you feint to his side. Your sandy-haired opponent notices the feint and slides with a soldier's precision to avoid it -- right over your waiting foot. He stumbles, and though his other foot snaps out to regain the balance, you press the advantage, jabbing your sword at his chest. Admirably, he regains himself enough to bring his own weapon up to deflect, but without proper footing, he cannot put enough force into it. You knock the practice sword from his hand, sweep his feet from under him, and level your blade at his neck.

For a moment, there is silence in the Forum, and then the circle of men who had gathered to watch the fight erupts into whooping cheers. The blonde soldier has sent many of them careening to the stones of the Forum in the last few weeks, and so they cheer his defeat as if it were their own victory.

You reach a hand out to the soldier, who still lies sprawled on the ground, his face etched with a look of disbelief. He regards you for a long moment, then snaps you a lopsided grin and clasps his hand to your own.

"You have the honor of besting the mighty Volero," he says as you pull him to his feet. "And you are...?"

"Call me Atellus." you say, grinning. "Well-fought. You had me breathing hard for a minute there."

He snorts. "Please. I laced my sandals too tightly this morning -- could barely feel my feet. You got lucky, is all." His words are completely serious, but you see a good-natured gleam in his eyes, and after a moment he breaks into a hearty chuckle.

"You know, my father served under an Atellus in Spain. Family?"

You nod. "My father."

His crooked grin spreads even wider. "You are the son of Atellus? Then there is no shame in being laid on my ass -- I'd daresay my father would consider it an honor to have a Cingulii beat the daylights out of me."

You are about to respond when Valero suddenly straightens and glances at something behind you. You turn to find that almost every legionnaire in the Forum has straightened and are staring in the same direction. The young men who are not soldiers are whispering and murmuring to themselves, and even the common folk walking and bartering in the Forum around you have stopped and turned to look.

Through the crowd emerges a tall young man with a round face and a clublike nose. His lips turn up into a small pout, and his eyes are a fierce blue. His hair is blonde, through brighter than Valero's, and is cropped close in the legionary style. He carries himself with a soldier's confidence, all swagger and bravado, and the muscles rippling under his tunic leave no doubt as to whether he can back up such arrogance with action.

"So," the newcomer says with a smile, "I heard someone was knocking Valero around. Now, usually that's my job..." A chuckle runs through the men assembled in the Forum, and the tall man gives them a moment to finish laughing before he continues.

"...so I had to come see for myself. And what do I find but Scaevola's newest hound?" Unlike Valero, the words are said jovially, but you see no glint of good-nature in this man's eyes.

"And who might you be?", you ask, though you are certain you already know.

The young man regards you for a moment, then inclines his head. "I am Pompeius", he says, with the air of one who expects you to know who that is.

And you do. He is the son of Gnaeus Pompeius Strabo, the infamous Butcher of Picenum, once one of the Republic's most feared generals, reviled for his savagery, butchery, and absence of loyalty. At the start of the Civil War, Strabo, an optimate, brought his armies to Rome when Marius invaded, but instead of defending the city, sat aside and let the Marians overrun it, choosing to pick neither side in the Civil War. He died of illness the very next night, and his corpse was torn apart by the men he once commanded -- a traitor's justice, many said.

The leadership of Strabo's legions nontheless fell to his heir, Gnaus Pompeius the Younger -- the man standing before you. In the short time since his father's death, he has already won the loyalty and love of the legions under his command, who call him the Carnifex Adulescens, the 'Young Butcher'. He holds the reins of an army that could change the course of the civil war, camped on the borders of the city since the year's beginning.

You know little of him, but he is famed for his martial skill and ability to command love in his men. Many whisper that he will be the next Sulla or Marius, a general whose shadow will fall over all of Rome.

But your father taught you that a man is nothing until he has done something, and so you straighten your back and hold his eye. For all his name and grandeur, he is the same as you are, a man barely a boy, who has held no public office and won no laurels. You will not bow or salute to him.

He meets your steely gaze with one of his own, and after a long moment, nods and grins.

"Now, what am I to think," he says, "when I find that the most skilled soldiers in my legions have been cut down to size by some country boy who's been in the city half a week, hmm?"

He paces up to you. "I've heard much about you these last months. Scaevola's newest pet, capable of wooing priests and soldiers, a student of the arts and the laws, and, apparently, quite the fighter besides. You must be a brave man, indeed, to come to Rome under the shadow of Marius and side with friends of Sulla."

He pauses, glancing into your eyes. "My legions could use brave men. I could use brave men, especially one who fights as you do."

"You are no commander.", you state flatly. "You have no remit to lead anything, much less a legion."

Pompey grins widely, and for the first time you see true mirth in his face. "What need have I of a remit from the Senate? I am Pompey." As if to prove this, he raises his arms to his side, palms facing upwards. As one, the legionnaires in the Forum snap into attention, pounding their fists to their chests in the salute of the legions.

"They will fight when I ask it of them, die when I ask it of them...what else need I?"

You open your mouth to respond, but Pompey has leaned in close to you, his breath whispering into your ear. "There are others, like us. Young men of ambition, talent, and vision who have the wherewithal to see what is coming. We gather on the Field of Mars at the break of dawn in a fortnight. There...we plan to see an end to this."

"This?", you query.

He nods. "This. Men of great breeding hunted like animals in the street. The mob, roaring through the city. Dogs eating dogs and men killing men. An end to it all."

He breaks away and turns, but his voice sails over his back as he strides off through the Forum.

"Attend, if you will."

VOTING

The Conspirators

Several young Roman patricians, including the powerful Gnaeus Pompeius --better known as Pompey-- have become determined to see an end to the chaos currently consuming Rome under Marius, and have formed a group to see, as Pompey put it, 'an end to it all'. This could mean anything from reform to sabotage to assassination of Marius himself, but you will not know until you attend the meeting.
[] Attend. It is best to know what is happening before committing yourself to anything.
[] Do not attend. You will have no truck with conspiracies and double-dealing.
[] Report the meeting to the Marians. As paranoid as the group has become, even if Marius does not order the conspirator's deaths, their lives will surely be forfeit if they step in Rome again.
[] Report the meeting to Scaevola. A powerful individual, he will take care of it in his own manner, without being as...final as the Marians might.
[] Attempt to send Proserpina to spy on the meeting.
[] Write-In

A Name For Yourself
Now that you are well-rounded and sufficiently educated in most pertinent skills, Scaevola suggests it is time you begin to make a name for yourself in Rome using one of your skills.
The Debate Fields [] You head to the Forum to begin debating men of wealth, skill, and class on political issues and viewpoints. These debates are significantly more organized than the impromptu ones held all over the city, and feature some of Rome's most up-and-coming political orators.

Tutoring [] Already well-versed in the laws, you begin to rent out your services as a tutor and a teacher 'trained by Scaevola', which is a mark of quality in and of itself, and held in high regard by most educated Romans of status.

Advocacy [] You begin to put your newly-honed law skills to the test by acting as an advocate for Romans who find themselves without. The cases you can get, as a man with no great name or status, are by definition less...respectable than might otherwise be hoped for. However, should you succeed, your reputation will be greatly improved.

Slave Rebellion [] With the legions tied up 'defending' Rome, regional forces are stretched thin in the Republic. In nearby Herculaneum, an escaped slave named Gallicus has taken advantage of this to begin looting and raiding fields and farms across Italia. Marius' son, Marius the Younger, has rallied a small militia force of men with military experience to wipe them out and bring the slave to heel. He seeks persons of noble status with military training to act as leaders of this militia -- a role for which you are eminently qualified. While not technically legionary service, as the threat is too small to require a legion, it would gain you recognition in the eyes of the people and Senate.

Too Little Time, So Many Duties
There are many things which, while not pressing concerns, need seeing to at some time before the years' end. You have not had the opportunity to see to them yet, but the middle of the year offers many opportunities for you to try.
Pick Two
Home and Hearth [] You have been living in Scaevola's estate for the past half-year, but you have wealth and name enough to strike out on your own, and intend to do so. You have been meaning to search for a home within the city limits of Rome proper.

Old Friends [] Your father had many friends in Rome, and you have been meaning to start reaching out to some of them in order to expand your connections and influence. Now is as good a time as any to start.

Selling Wine [] Your father owned a vineyard, and after his death, control of it fell to you. Owing to your lack of skill with the art of sale and your current inability to manage anything, you have decided to find a proper administrator for the wine.

Web-building [] Proserpina is looking to build a network of informants for you, like she did for your father in Spain, but in order to do so, she will need people, loyal people, on her payroll. She wants to work with you to build a network of loyal servants and slaves reporting back to her.

To Have And To Hold [] To begin climbing up the ranks of power, you will need a wife. Now, if you make fast friends with a powerful Roman, he might well offer you the hand of his daughter or sister. Otherwise, however, you will need to go out and search for a suitable match. A wife can make or break a Senator's rise to power, and conversely, can tie you through family to Senators who have lost their power and become proverbial 'dead weight'.

Never Too Early To Run [] You start building up influence and connections among the plebeians and the masses in preparation for the next year's elections. You leverage your growing reputation to build yourself a following that you hope will win you a Tribunate.

There is now a TWELVE-HOUR MORATORIUM on all votes.

Use this time to discuss the choices available and create different Plans. As previously discussed, any votes not in plan form, or submitted before the moratorium is up, will not be counted.

As always, discussion is rewarded.

Last edited:
...I love this quest.

And then Marius wakes.

On the fifteenth day of the rioting, he emerges from his home hale and unbent, his eyes clear and bright. The Consul lives, and in a voice like thunder, he reproaches his servants and his soldiers. He speaks to them like a father to his children -- no, like a god to his worshipers -- and at once, the Roman mob, the bane of kings and aristocrats alike, disperses. Marius lives, and it seems the greatest man of his generation has saved Rome again, this time by not dying.
Okay, we're definitely in AU territory, because Marius died in January 86 BC. That means we don't know what Pompey's conspiracy is, or what they intend. And given Marius's past treatment of enemies (and the behavior of his supporters when they feared he died) any attempt to assassinate Marius would be very very bad. Even if it succeeds, any Optimate would be automatically suspect of belonging to the conspirators, which would include both Scaevola and ourselves.

Even as an Optimate, even as one who loathes Marius and his tyranny, our best move is to oppose Pompey. Right now, any real opposition needs to wait for Sulla's return from the First Mithridatic War, or at least until that return is imminent. Right now, kill Marius and the unruly mob has no 'great man of Rome' to calm them down.

As for specific actions:
The Conspirators
Several young Roman patricians, including the powerful Gnaeus Pompeius --better known as Pompey-- have become determined to see an end to the chaos currently consuming Rome under Marius, and have formed a group to see, as Pompey put it, 'an end to it all'. This could mean anything from reform to sabotage to assassination of Marius himself, but you will not know until you attend the meeting.
[] Attend. It is best to know what is happening before committing yourself to anything.
[] Do not attend. You will have no truck with conspiracies and double-dealing.
[] Report the meeting to the Marians. As paranoid as the group has become, even if Marius does not order the conspirator's deaths, their lives will surely be forfeit if they step in Rome again.
[] Report the meeting to Scaevola. A powerful individual, he will take care of it in his own manner, without being as...final as the Marians might.
[] Attempt to send Proserpina to spy on the meeting.
[] Write-In
If we attend, we will be lumped in with the other conspirators. That's definitely out.
If we don't attend but don't do anything with the information, we'll be blind to whatever else occurs. That's not an option either.
Reporting the meeting to the Marians would end the conspiracy, but also drastically undercut the power of the Optimates (and of our patron Scaevola), and put us firmly in the 'Populares' camp -- not good when Sulla returns and the Optimates have their revenge. Plus, Scaevola would probably disavow us. No good.
Report the meeting to Scaevola... he's an Optimate, but a moderate Traditionalist who doesn't care for coups and bloodshed. He's also one of the brightest legal minds in Rome, with a lot of experience dealing with intrigue and plots. This is probably our best bet.
Asking Proserpina to spy is another promising idea, but a) it would be really bad if she got caught and b) even if we knew exactly what the meeting was about, we aren't in a position to do anything with that information besides approach Scaevola and ask for his advice.

My vote is to report the meeting to Scaevola.

Advocacy [] You begin to put your newly-honed law skills to the test by acting as an advocate for Romans who find themselves without. The cases you can get, as a man with no great name or status, are by definition less...respectable than might otherwise be hoped for. However, should you succeed, your reputation will be greatly improved.
Web-building [] Proserpina is looking to build a network of informants for you, like she did for your father in Spain, but in order to do so, she will need people, loyal people, on her payroll. She wants to work with you to build a network of loyal servants and slaves reporting back to her.

Asking Proserpina to spy is another promising idea, but a) it would be really bad if she got caught and b) even if we knew exactly what the meeting was about, we aren't in a position to do anything with that information besides approach Scaevola and ask for his advice.
If she did get caught we are without our most skilled servant, and will be unable to create an information network.

I'd say we need to report to Scaevola: he is a smart cookie and probably will be of use.
Advocacy is also a no-brainer IMO.

Okay, we can get two duties.

Home and Hearth [] You have been living in Scaevola's estate for the past half-year, but you have wealth and name enough to strike out on your own, and intend to do so. You have been meaning to search for a home within the city limits of Rome proper.

Old Friends [] Your father had many friends in Rome, and you have been meaning to start reaching out to some of them in order to expand your connections and influence. Now is as good a time as any to start.

Selling Wine [] Your father owned a vineyard, and after his death, control of it fell to you. Owing to your lack of skill with the art of sale and your current inability to manage anything, you have decided to find a proper administrator for the wine.

To Have And To Hold [] To begin climbing up the ranks of power, you will need a wife. Now, if you make fast friends with a powerful Roman, he might well offer you the hand of his daughter or sister. Otherwise, however, you will need to go out and search for a suitable match. A wife can make or break a Senator's rise to power, and conversely, can tie you through family to Senators who have lost their power and become proverbial 'dead weight'.

Never Too Early To Run [] You start building up influence and connections among the plebeians and the masses in preparation for the next year's elections. You leverage your growing reputation to build yourself a following that you hope will win you a Tribunate.

Hrm.

Well, first, I would not mind more money - it's not a concern while Scaevola feeds us, but will be one later. Thus, Selling Wine has my attention.

Otherwise...it's never too early to make friends with either plebeians or patricians. Probably one of those - it is early for web-building IMO, we want a better name and more connections to soften the backlash in case of failed spies. Probably Old Friends.
Thus we get some money and friends in the right places, ensuring a good foundation for further actions. We are only getting started in Rome after all.

As for the rest:

A Name For Yourself
Now that you are well-rounded and sufficiently educated in most pertinent skills, Scaevola suggests it is time you begin to make a name for yourself in Rome using one of your skills.
The Debate Fields [] You head to the Forum to begin debating men of wealth, skill, and class on political issues and viewpoints. These debates are significantly more organized than the impromptu ones held all over the city, and feature some of Rome's most up-and-coming political orators.

Tutoring [] Already well-versed in the laws, you begin to rent out your services as a tutor and a teacher 'trained by Scaevola', which is a mark of quality in and of itself, and held in high regard by most educated Romans of status.

Slave Rebellion [] With the legions tied up 'defending' Rome, regional forces are stretched thin in the Republic. In nearby Herculaneum, an escaped slave named Gallicus has taken advantage of this to begin looting and raiding fields and farms across Italia. Marius' son, Marius the Younger, has rallied a small militia force of men with military experience to wipe them out and bring the slave to heel. He seeks persons of noble status with military training to act as leaders of this militia -- a role for which you are eminently qualified. While not technically legionary service, as the threat is too small to require a legion, it would gain you recognition in the eyes of the people and Senate.
This action is about establishing our reputation, so it behooves us to look at what we're best at.
Stats said:
Military: Accomplished (13) -- You have a good grasp of strategy and tactics, equal to that of a skilled military tribune.
Charisma: Accomplished (11) -- You are charismatic and well-spoken, capable of handling yourself ably in Roman society.
Stewardship: Poor (4) -- You couldn't manage a wine stand.
Intelligence: Renowned (15) -- You are quick, thoughtful, and difficult to fool, with a strength of wit that has made you famous.
Education: Accomplished (10) -- You have learned from the finest tutors your father could afford, but there are still gaps in your knowledge.
Subterfuge: Average (6) -- You can lie and cheat as well as any Roman, but you have no special skill for deceit.
Skills said:
Combat: Proficient (8) -- You walk away from most fights.
Oratory: Accomplished (10) -- Your words are mesmerizing, and your arguments well-constructed.
Command: Average (5) -- While you have an excellent grasp of the technical aspects of leadership, you have never led men in battle. (Capped at 5 until first battle)
Law: Proficient (9) -- You are beloved of Themis herself, the goddess of Justice.
Philosophy: Average (5): I think, therefore I am.
Administration: Average (5): You can run a house decently -- but probably not a city.
Diplomacy: Proficient (9): You understand that sometimes, wars are won without swords.
Debate Fields: would probably rely on our Charisma (11) stat, and our Oratory (10) skill, as well as maybe our Law or Philosophy skills (9 and 5).
Tutoring: would rely on our Charisma (11) and Education (10) stat, and our Law (9) and Philosophy (5) skills
Advocacy: would rely on our Charisma (11) stat, and our Oratory (10) and Law (9) skills
Slave Rebellion: would rely on our Military (13) stat, and our Combat (8) skill

Intelligence (15) stat would give a bonus to any of these, so that shouldn't be a deciding factor. However, there is another element to consider: we didn't meet Cicero this turn. According to Wikipedia: "Cicero started his career as a lawyer around 83–81 BC", which is still three years away. If we didn't meet him at the recital, our best bet of befriending him would be to pick 'Debate Fields'. 'Advocacy' is likely to win us a (slightly) higher reputation right away, but befriending Cicero could pave the way for our entire future.

Finally:
There are many things which, while not pressing concerns, need seeing to at some time before the years' end. You have not had the opportunity to see to them yet, but the middle of the year offers many opportunities for you to try.
Pick Two
Home and Hearth []
You have been living in Scaevola's estate for the past half-year, but you have wealth and name enough to strike out on your own, and intend to do so. You have been meaning to search for a home within the city limits of Rome proper.

Home and Hearth: adding a major expense (when we don't yet have an income, and have a terrible stewardship stat) doesn't strike me as wise. We rolled amazingly well with Scaevola and the priests; let's enjoy their hospitality a while longer.
Old Friends: making connections with the last generation of patricians. No idea who we'd befriend, but this would put us in touch with a number of Optimates that might be useful later. I'm not sure it's a big priority, though.
Selling Wine: this one strikes me as potentially very useful. Our Stewardship stat is atrocious, though our 'Administration' skill is merely average. But hiring someone else to administer our estate, could be a work-around to start earning more money and putting our current funds to better use. Finding someone trustworthy could be a major bonus for the future. One of the great obstacles of most leading Romans of this time, was the constant need for more funds -- to bribe supporters, to throw lavish parties, to pay for lawyers and military equipment, etc. If we get someone we trust who's able to work with money, we'd be much better situated for the future, especially since at this early stage we won't waste any of the funds we get from our years as a Tribune.
Web-building: again, this is a key investment for the future. This is why we brought Proserpina to Rome, so I'm inclined to say this one should be a lock. Having a ready-made network of informants could prevent us from being assassinated or blindsided by things like Pompey's invitation. Information is power, as they will one day say.
To Have and To Hold: it's way too early to arrange a marriage for ourselves. If this were purely historical, we'd know who the winners and losers are and be able to tie ourselves to the winning family. But this is AU (Marius lives) so there is no guarantee, and the family we marry into might face disaster in the immediate future. Let's not.
Never Too Early To Run: this one solidifies our short-term prospects, and makes sure that we're in place to become a Tribune next year. I'm not convinced it's necessary, especially if we do a good job burnishing our reputation and improving our abilities in other respects. Still, it's a good fall-back if we need it.

So, here's my tentative plan:

[] Plan Weather Eye
Reasoning: take a cautious approach to Pompey, and lay the groundwork for the future in both money and information. Also, try to meet Cicero. Again.

The Conspirators
[]
Report the meeting to Scaevola. A powerful individual, he will take care of it in his own manner, without being as...final as the Marians might.

A Name For Yourself
[] The Debate Fields: You head to the Forum to begin debating men of wealth, skill, and class on political issues and viewpoints. These debates are significantly more organized than the impromptu ones held all over the city, and feature some of Rome's most up-and-coming political orators.

[] Selling Wine: Your father owned a vineyard, and after his death, control of it fell to you. Owing to your lack of skill with the art of sale and your current inability to manage anything, you have decided to find a proper administrator for the wine.
[] Web-building: Proserpina is looking to build a network of informants for you, like she did for your father in Spain, but in order to do so, she will need people, loyal people, on her payroll. She wants to work with you to build a network of loyal servants and slaves reporting back to her.

Last edited:
I'd say we need to report to Scaevola: he is a smart cookie and probably will be of use.
Advocacy is also a no-brainer IMO.

Okay, we can get two duties.

Hrm.

Well, first, I would not mind more money - it's not a concern while Scaevola feeds us, but will be one later. Thus, Selling Wine has my attention.

Otherwise...it's never too early to make friends with either plebeians or patricians. Probably one of those - it is early for web-building IMO, we want a better name and more connections to soften the backlash in case of failed spies. Probably Old Friends.
Thus we get some money and friends in the right places, ensuring a good foundation for further actions. We are only getting started in Rome after all.

We then can break it down to two chooses.
You know how much Romans love there wine. Money. Prestige, if the wine is well liked.
Expanding out connections is a must, but I do not know how time sensitive that options is. Would they feel slighted if we do not visit them as early as possible.

@Telamon, I have a question.

We picked 'Exhibition' partly because it promised us a chance to:
Exhibition [] Young men of a martial bent often spend time practicing the sword in the Forum with the soldiers. Not only is this a good way to improve your skills, you can show off your prowess in battle to the Roman citizenry, and even win acclaim.
Yet, as far as I can tell, Exhibition merely put us in contact with Pompey and his group. Will you be rolling for our Combat XP (and any reputation gains) in the next update, or do those rolls belong with this turn?

Alright, so for conspirators I'm tempted to go attend, but I also feel that we should show loyalty to Scaevola by telling him about them.

@Telamon would a write-in that combines the two be acceptable? Tell Scaevola about it and offer to relay what happens at it to him.

...Wait a second. *Quick Wiki Walk*

SHIT! WHY ISN'T MARIUS DEAD!?!? HE WASN'T SUPPOSED TO GET BETTER!

Well we're in solid AU territory so we need to keep them from doing something stupid and ruining the chances of Sulla coming in and taking Rome. Tempted to just tell Scaevola about the conspiracy, although I'm still tempted to add on the offer of attending to see what happens if he thinks it would be a good idea.

A Name For Yourself
For this one, assuming this "Slave Rebellion" is just a simple one and it doesn't have someone like Spartacus leading it, it's probably a good idea to do. We need to lead men to remove the cap from Command after all. It also gets a useful connection to Marius' son Marius the Younger. Granted that connection can hurt us too, but having people on both sides that like us is probably a net good thing.

I can see use to advocacy too though, but I'm partial to the tangible removal to the stat cap over the double edged sword of increasing our renown.

For this one, there's really three that stand out to me. "Old Friends" "Selling Wine" and "Web-Building"

Old Friends is a safe and useful option that might be somewhat time sensitive -- although not to a significant degree. It's pretty much what it says on the tin, and more connections can't hurt.

Selling wine hopefully gets us a loyal and competent servant/slave to run the vineyard for us and give us a nice revenue stream. Money helps, but I don't think we'd make enough to be able to do too much with just the vineyard so unless the person we find happens to have the Midas Touch we can probably hold off on this.
.........I have some inspiration for an omake. General idea is we find a very crazy man to run our Vineyard. He'd be good at running things for the most part, but since he believes Bacchus speaks to him he'll occasionally do some very arbitrary things -- ranging from beneficial to not. I'll get on that in a bit, and now I'm locked into voting this option.

Web-Building is an all in all good idea, although it might be prudent to have a solid source of income before we do. Still should probably do it.

I'd be careful of reporting the meeting, it could very well just be a test of true loyalties.

.........I have some inspiration for an omake. General idea is we find a very crazy man to run our Vineyard. He'd be good at running things for the most part, but since he believes Bacchus speaks to him he'll occasionally do some very arbitrary things -- ranging from beneficial to not. I'll get on that in a bit, and now I'm locked into voting this option.
Do you want to buy some wine boyo?

I may have missed the discussion but have we decided what our ultimate goal should be? Personally I'd like to prevent the rise of the empire by reforming Legion finance and perhaps some aspects of high level elected position so that dictators are not necessary.

I may have missed the discussion but have we decided what our ultimate goal should be? Personally I'd like to prevent the rise of the empire by reforming Legion finance and perhaps some aspects of high level elected position so that dictators are not necessary.

Let's say that we want to do that, we will have to change the way Rome was governed, as you said. But I think that we will have to convince Cicero to help us and with him Ceasar too. Can you imagine a dream team like that? Ceasar to Conquer for the Republic and Cicero to govern it. While we stay in the Senate as Consul :evil:

Slave Rebellion [X]
With the legions tied up 'defending' Rome, regional forces are stretched thin in the Republic. In nearby Herculaneum, an escaped slave named Gallicus has taken advantage of this to begin looting and raiding fields and farms across Italia. Marius' son, Marius the Younger, has rallied a small militia force of men with military experience to wipe them out and bring the slave to heel. He seeks persons of noble status with military training to act as leaders of this militia -- a role for which you are eminently qualified. While not technically legionaryservice, as the threat is too small to require a legion, it would gain yourecognition in the eyes of the people and Senate.

We also have to change the way the legions are financed in order to make it harder for individual generals to claim their loyalty.

I think we should attend and see what happens.

We should start building a solid base to work from.
Old friends and Web would be the best votes.

@Telamon, I have a question.

We picked 'Exhibition' partly because it promised us a chance to:

Yet, as far as I can tell, Exhibition merely put us in contact with Pompey and his group. Will you be rolling for our Combat XP (and any reputation gains) in the next update, or do those rolls belong with this turn?

As a pasttime, it will continue into the next half of the year. You will reap rewards there.

Alright, so for conspirators I'm tempted to go attend, but I also feel that we should show loyalty to Scaevola by telling him about them.

@Telamon would a write-in that combines the two be acceptable? Tell Scaevola about it and offer to relay what happens at it to him.

...Wait a second. *Quick Wiki Walk*

SHIT! WHY ISN'T MARIUS DEAD!?!? HE WASN'T SUPPOSED TO GET BETTER!

Well we're in solid AU territory so we need to keep them from doing something stupid and ruining the chances of Sulla coming in and taking Rome. Tempted to just tell Scaevola about the conspiracy, although I'm still tempted to add on the offer of attending to see what happens if he thinks it would be a good idea.

A Name For Yourself
For this one, assuming this "Slave Rebellion" is just a simple one and it doesn't have someone like Spartacus leading it, it's probably a good idea to do. We need to lead men to remove the cap from Command after all. It also gets a useful connection to Marius' son Marius the Younger. Granted that connection can hurt us too, but having people on both sides that like us is probably a net good thing.

I can see use to advocacy too though, but I'm partial to the tangible removal to the stat cap over the double edged sword of increasing our renown.

For this one, there's really three that stand out to me. "Old Friends" "Selling Wine" and "Web-Building"

Old Friends is a safe and useful option that might be somewhat time sensitive -- although not to a significant degree. It's pretty much what it says on the tin, and more connections can't hurt.

Selling wine hopefully gets us a loyal and competent servant/slave to run the vineyard for us and give us a nice revenue stream. Money helps, but I don't think we'd make enough to be able to do too much with just the vineyard so unless the person we find happens to have the Midas Touch we can probably hold off on this.

Web-Building is an all in all good idea, although it might be prudent to have a solid source of income before we do. Still should probably do it.

Yes, such a write-in would be feasible.

Last edited:
Let's say that we want to do that, we will have to change the way Rome was governed, as you said. But I think that we will have to convince Cicero to help us and with him Ceasar too. Can you imagine a dream team like that? Ceasar to Conquer for the Republic and Cicero to govern it. While we stay in the Senate as Consul :evil:

Slave Rebellion [X]
With the legions tied up 'defending' Rome, regional forces are stretched thin in the Republic. In nearby Herculaneum, an escaped slave named Gallicus has taken advantage of this to begin looting and raiding fields and farms across Italia. Marius' son, Marius the Younger, has rallied a small militia force of men with military experience to wipe them out and bring the slave to heel. He seeks persons of noble status with military training to act as leaders of this militia -- a role for which you are eminently qualified. While not technically legionaryservice, as the threat is too small to require a legion, it would gain yourecognition in the eyes of the people and Senate.

This makes the most sense to me. Our command stat is capped until we see combat.

Slave Rebellion [X] With the legions tied up 'defending' Rome, regional forces are stretched thin in the Republic. In nearby Herculaneum, an escaped slave named Gallicus has taken advantage of this to begin looting and raiding fields and farms across Italia. Marius' son, Marius the Younger, has rallied a small militia force of men with military experience to wipe them out and bring the slave to heel. He seeks persons of noble status with military training to act as leaders of this militia -- a role for which you are eminently qualified. While not technically legionaryservice, as the threat is too small to require a legion, it would gain yourecognition in the eyes of the people and Senate.

Slave Rebellion [X]

First Triumvirate - Wikipedia

Second Triumvirate - Wikipedia

Historically, Republican-Era 'dream teams' tend not to end well. :V

Oh, and as for the 'tutoring' option, I would urge you all to think on who, exactly, is a child in Rome right now.

Last edited:
Back