[X] Plan Forging Friendships

[X] Plan Win Friends and Influence Destiny

Forging friendship is the best plan, with its write-in. I want to make the best of the prophecy so waiting is ok.

Influencing destiny has "the Marians", which I want to take sooner or later because of the Carbo contact (and liaising with the other legions).

Last edited:
[X] Plan Foundations for future success

[X] Plan Win Friends and Influence Destiny

When has this quest stopped being about overthrowing the republic and started being about overthrowing the king of the gods?:o

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't be against the marriage idea as by now I'm so invested in Mars I would only abandon him for Jesus.
It started when I had a random idea about Theocracy :p

[] Plan Foundations for future success

I like this plan the most, but I really think we should devote at least one point towards the "show ourselves to our men" action.

Canon Omake: On Roads To Bovianum
On Roads to Bovianum

"That must be the sixth broken axle just this week," the stern voice of Tercerus said, "We've been lucky that it's only been six on roads this shit."

Overseeing the road and the supply train that had been forced to take a break on its way to Bovianum, Atellus, Rufus and the old servant Tercerus sat atop horseback on a small hill.

"It's a good thing then that we ordered the carts to take replacement wheels and axles with them," Rufus replied, long having accustumed to the less than flowery way of te talk of the soldiery, "but it costs time everytime, that remains true. Perhaps we should consider rebuilding the path from Beneventum to Bovianum."

"I've given it some thought, but I judge it too risky an endeavour," the third in their midst replied as he studied his men routinely repair the precious cart, laden with grain, "a cohort tasked with repairing roads is a cohort not primed for battle."

Tercerus, quick to understand what his dominus was alluding to, drove his horse forward and came to a halt next to Atellus.

"We can't afford Gemino with a price like that, especially not after he had already made a fool of us when we first came here," Atellus flinched barely noticeably, but the old soldier continued, "least damned thing we need is for more Pentri and other Samnites to foolhardily get ideas that resistance means anything less than burnt cities and either enslavement or shallow graves."

Hearing that Rufus stroked his name appropriate red beard which had started to spread across his face in contemplation, before driving his horse forward, mirroring Tercerus' earlier movement.

"A cohort lost here would be a great loss to us. Not only would the legate be wroth, but he would likely recall us from this assignement. After all, Gemino is but a thorn in his side, whereas Nola is the true price."

Atellus and Tercerus turned their heads to their companion, appreciating the man. The redhaired lawyer might find himself more at home on the battlefields of the courts than of the cohorts, but he showed a willingless to learn, unlike the rest of the tribunes, who brought shame on their office.

"Still, if a cohort working on these roads is vulnerable, why not put up a shield to protect them? With the bandit groups slowly exterminated like the vermin they are, the Gauls have little else to do but to fight Gemino."

"That thought crossed my mind as well, but Gemino and his men are shrewd. They have shown they know these hills better than we do," Atellus sighed as a smile spread across Rufus' face," and we have dead scouts to prove it. I could only sleep soundly if another cohort would watch the first, but-"

"But with all the work we have to do we can't have a cohort worth of men sit on their asses and do nothing but watch their fellows sweat in the sun," the grizzly old men finished the thought for his dominus who nodded.

"At the very least it would not be amiss to ask the architectai what they think how long and how costly it would be to repair the roads, or at least the ones from and to Bovianum for after we pacified these lands."

At hearing of Atellus' idea surprise showed on Rufus' face and even Tercerus raised an eyebrow, but it was the lawyer turned soldier who asked.

"You would ask for help for the Samnites even after they are brought to heel and we leave?"

Now Atellus turned his head, raising an amused eyebrow as he imagined hearing the same slightly cruel and pragmatic streak Rufus had shown in their initial scheming on what to do with Bovianum and the Pentri.

"We came here to bring peace to Italia and bring part of it back into the fold. What good is it to have a burnt husk barely able to pay its taxes and to provide men for war?" he asked, before adding without missing a beat, "Of course we also want them to think fondly of Sertorius and of us. Soon enough the same men who currently chafe under us will be voting in Rome."

"Oho, so enlightened self-interest is guiding your hand. How devious", Rufus added, chuckling at his friend's plans. The friend in question only gave out a quick laugh himself.

"What is good for the Samnites can be good for the country, and of course be good for us."

"Ah, I see that you took Scaevola's few lessons on the administration of a province to heart more than I ever did. I admit, I was always more fond of his judical instructions", he added before shifting his eyes back on to the road below them where the supply train began moving again.

"And you should rejoice that fate willed it so that this campaign takes advantage of your skills in the courtroom," Atellus joked, before growing a bit sterner, "this assignement just shows how much more there is to war than cold steel and warm blood."

"Lucius would always say that roads were the lifelines of the empire," Tercerus added, "in times of war they lead the legions to the battlefields and sieges and in times of peace men cart their goods on them from one market to another."

"Lucius... your father then? Lucius Cingulatus Atellus?" Rufus asked.

Atellus nodded, "My father had built many roads in Hispania where he served his years. Under him the Tenth Legion, Hispania Invicta, and their supplies would travel from one native city to the next on roads they built, and after they conquered those same roads would carry gold and silver, olive oil and settlers to their destinations. In his last days he would always say that what would be left of him would be his name and the roads he built."

Rufus said approvingly, "Every good Roman seeks to leave his mark on this world," at which Atellus felt a bit of mirth welling up.

"Exactly."

----

At some point I should leave the Samnite War, even if the episode at Bovianum has for now been my favourite part of this quest. By the way, I started reading Mike Duncan's "Storm before the Storm" and am listening to his podcast again and I realise that I did Tiberius Gracchus in some ways dirty, in others I held him up on a pedastal a bit. Turns out that history is as always a bit more complicated than that, but that's what makes it fascinating.

On to some real talk, some of you might wonder why I'm not writing something specifically modelled to boost our military exp, with us so close to a huge mechanical bonus. The answer is simple, I don't want to exploit the system. I imagine Telamon is big boy enough to put his foot down when he feels like we are doing so and to limit our exp gains when he feels like we are growing too fast, but it still feels just a little bit dirty to do that. Besides, I kinda just want to write what comes to my mind. Believe it or not, when I wrote the Sullan Meeting and the Fiery Hate I didn't have a skill or stat in mind which I wanted to boost. Even for the first omake I wrote I mostly chose the setting because I thought it would be fun when I mostly just wanted Atellus and Mercator talk about the Sword and Hand speech.

Last edited:
On Roads to Bovianum

"That must be the sixth broken axle just this week," the stern voice of Tercerus said, "We've been lucky that it's only been six on roads this shit."

Overseeing the road and the supply train that had been forced to take a break on its way to Bovianum, Atellus, Rufus and the old servant Tercerus sat atop horseback on a small hill.

"It's a good thing then that we ordered the carts to take replacement wheels and axles with them," Rufus replied, long having accustumed to the less than flowery way of talk of the soldiery, "but it costs time everytime, that remains true."

"I've given it some thought, but I judge it too risky an endeavour," the third in their midst replied as he studied his men routinely repair the precious cart, laden with grain, "a cohort tasked with repairing roads is a cohort not primed for battle."

Tercerus, quick to understand what his dominus was alluding to, drove his horse forward and came to a halt next to Atellus.

"We can't afford Gemino a price like that, especially not after he had already made a fool of us when we came here," Atellus flinched barely noticeable, but the old soldier continued, "least damned thing we need is for more Pentri and other Samnites to foolhardy get ideas that resistance means anything less than burnt cities and either enslavement or shallow graves."

Rufus stroked his name appropriate red beard that had started to spread across his face in contemplation, before driving his horse forward, mirroring Tercerus' earlier movement.

"A cohort lost here would be a great loss to us. Not only would the legate be wroth, but he would likely recall us from this assignement. After all, Gemino is but a thorn in his side, whereas Nola is the true price."

Atellus and Tercerus turned their heads to their companion, appreciating the man. The redhaired lawyer might find himself more at home on the battlefields of the courts than of the cohorts, but he showed a willingless to learn, unlike the rest of the tribunes, who brought shame on their office.

"Still, if a cohort working on these roads is vulnerable, why not put up a shield to protect them? With the bandits slowly exterminated like the vermin they are, the Gauls have little else to do but to fight Gemino."

"That thought crossed my mind as well, but Gemino and his men are shrewd. They have shown they know these hills better than we do," Atellus sighed as a smile spread across Rufus' face," and we have dead scouts to prove it. I couuld only sleep soundly if another cohort would watch the first, but-"

"But with all the work we have to do we can't have a cohort worth of men sit on their asses do nothing but watch their fellows sweat in the sun," the grizzly old men finished the thought for his dominus who nodded.

"It woulld not be amiss to ask the architectai what they think how long and how costly it would be to repair the roads, or at least the ones from and to Bovianum for after we pacified these lands."

At hearing of Atellus' idea surprise showed on Rufus' face and even Tercerus raised an eyebrow, but it was the lawyer turned soldier who asked.

"You would ask for help for the Samnites even after they are brought to heel and we leave?"

Now Atellus turned his head, raising an amused eyebrow as he imagined hearing the same slightly cruel and pragmatic streak Rufus had shown in their initial scheming on what to do with Bovianum and the Pentri.

"We came here to bring peace to Italia and bring part of it back into the fold. What good is it to have a burnt husk barely able to pay its taxes and to provide men for war," he asked, before adding without missing a beat, "Of course we also want them to think fondly of Sertorius and of us. Soon enough the same men who now chafe under us will be voting in Rome."

"Oho, so enlightned self-interest is guiding your hand. How devious", Rufus added, chuckling at his friend's plans. The friend in question only gave out a quick laugh himself.

"What is good for the Samnites can be good for the country, and of course be good for us."

"Ah, I see that you took Scaevola's few lessons on the administration of a province to heart more than I ever did. I admit, I was always more fond of his judical instructions", he added before shifting his eyes back on to the road below them where the supply train began moving again.

"And you should rejoice that fate willed it so that this campaign takes advantage of your skills in the courtroom," Atellus joked, before growing a bit sterner, "this assignement just shows how much more there is to war than cold steel and warm blood."

"Lucius would always say that roads were the lifelines of the empire," Tercerus added, "in times of war they lead the legions to the battlefields and sieges and in times of peace men cart their goods from one market to another."

"Lucius... your father then? Lucius Cingulatus Atellus?" Rufus asked?

Atellus nodded, "My father would always built many roads in Hispania where he served his years. Under him the Tenth Legion Hispania Invicta and their supplies would travel from one native city to the next on roads they built, and after they conquered those same roads would lead gold and silver, olive oil and settlers to their destinations. In his last days he would always say that what would be left of him would be his name and the roads he built."

Rufus said approvingly, "Every good Roman seeks to leave his mark on this world," at which Atellus felt a bit of mirth welling up.

"Exactly."

----

At some point I should leave the Samnite War, even if the episode at Bovianum has for now been my favourite part of this quest. By the way, I started reading Mike Duncan's "Storm before the Storm" and am listening to his podcast again and I realise that I did Tiberius Gracchus in some ways dirty, in others I held him up on a pedastal a bit. Turns out that history is as always a bit more complicated than that, but that's what makes it fascinating.

On to some real talk, some of you might wonder why I'm not writing something specifically modelled to boost our military exp, with us so close to a huge mechanical bonus. The answer is simple, I don't want to exploit the system. I imagine Telamon is big boy enough to put his foot down when he feels like we are doing so and to limit our exp gains when he feels like we are growing too fast, but it still feels just a little bit dirty to do that. Besides, I kinda just want to write what comes to my mind. Believe it or not, when I wrote the Sullan Meeting and the Fiery Hate I didn't have a skill or stat in mind which I wanted to boost. Even for the first omake I wrote I mostly chose the setting because I thought it would be fun when I mostly just wanted Atellus and Mercator talk about the Sword and Hand speech.

Quintus thinks often of his father's roads, and of what mark he himself will leave on the world when he is gone.

500 XP to Administration.

Quintus thinks often of his father's roads, and of what mark he himself will leave on the world when he is gone.

500 XP to Administration.
Thank you.

That leaves us currently at:

Bank: 4800 XP
Pending
: 2300 XP on learning skill Augury; a further 2000 Augury XP and a free Rank of Intelligence on meeting the Pythia; one reroll on a failed interaction with a Sullan.

Stats:
Military: Accomplished (14) -- (Levels 10-14) (+2 Modifier) -- (3384/10000) to Rank 15 (+4 Modifier)
Charisma: Accomplished (11) -- (Levels 10-14) (+2 Modifier) -- (4060/10000) to Rank 12
Stewardship: Poor (4) -- (Levels 4) (-2 Modifier) -- (1200/4000) to Rank 5 (No Modifier)
Intelligence: Renowned (15) -- (Levels 15-17) (+4 Modifier) -- (3384/15000) to Rank 16
Education: Accomplished (10) -- (Levels 10-14) (+2 Modifier) -- (3400/10000) to Rank 11
Subterfuge: Average (7) -- (Levels 5-7) (No Modifier) -- (800/7000) to Rank 8 (+1 Modifier)

Skills:
Combat: Accomplished (10) -- (Levels 10-14) (+2 Modifier) -- (5790/10000) to Rank 11
Oratory: Accomplished (11) --(Levels 10-14) (+2 Modifier) -- (2326/10000) to Rank 12
Command: Proficient (8) -- (Levels 8-9) (+1 Modifier) -- (6152/8000) to Rank 9
Engineering: Abysmal (1) -- (Levels 0-1) (-6 Modifier) -- (0/1000) to Rank 2 (-4 Modifier)
Seafaring: Very Poor (3) -- (Levels 2-3) (-4 Modifier) -- (1143/3000) to Rank 4 (-2 Modifier)
Logistics: Very Poor (2) -- (Levels 2-3) (-4 Modifier) -- (1873/2000) to Rank 3
Law: Proficient (9) -- (Levels 8-9) (+1 Modifier) -- (4535/9000) to Rank 10 (+2 Modifier)
Philosophy: Average (5) -- (Levels 5-7) (No Modifier) -- (374/5000) to Rank 6
Administration: Average (5) -- (Levels 5-7) (No Modifier) -- (4750/5000) to Rank 6
Diplomacy: Accomplished (10) -- (Levels 10-14) (+2 Modifier) -- (1751/10000) to Rank 11

It does make me want to spend some exp on administration. While it wouldn't give us a mechanical bonus, we know from subterfuge that certain skills and therefore possible actions are locked behind level tresholds.

On Roads to Bovianum
Very enjoyable read, and it reminds me of the promise we made to the Pentri on behalf of Rome to rebuild the land around Bovanium. I said a while ago - on discord I think - that after the Civil War 6 months of downtime in Samnium wouldn't be the worst thing. Do a bit of rebuilding and be the ones to get the credit for it.

Very enjoyable read, and it reminds me of the promise we made to the Pentri on behalf of Rome to rebuild the land around Bovanium. I said a while ago - on discord I think - that after the Civil War 6 months of downtime in Samnium wouldn't be the worst thing. Do a bit of rebuilding and be the ones to get the credit for it.
Glad you liked it, I wrote it with that in mind. We could potentially use part of our time as aedile on rebuilding the infrastructure in Samnium (if it hadn't been done by then), as a means to fulfill our promise, but also to court the rural voters.

I am actually hoping that once should we return to Italy with Sulla we can talk down the Samnites from resisting, making Sulla just pass their lands without any hassle, as much of a pipedream it likely is. I expect that they'll hate Sulla more than they'll care for us.

Last edited:
Glad you liked it, I wrote it with that in mind. We could potentially use our time as aedil on rebuilding the infrastructure in Samnium (if it hadn't been done by then), as a means to fulfill our promise, but also to court the rural voters.
That's certainly an option but I'd hope we - or Rome - could get something done a little sooner than that as we can't stand to become an Aedile until we're 36.

But I suppose if it comes down to that, it wouldn't be the worst thing.
I am actually hoping that once should we return with Sulla to Italy we can talk down the Samnites from resisting, making Sulla just pass their lands without any hassle, as much of a pipedream it likely is. I expect that they'll hate Sulla more than they'll care for us.
Indeed, I've been thinking a bit about a potential return to Italy, and our efforts in Samnium - and with the Pentri specifically - could end up being an important diversion.

For the Samnites timing will be important. Does Marius the Younger whip up their fear before we even get back and have a chance to mollify them? Would the fact they've now been made promises by Rome twice here make them more hesitant to take up arms, or more likely?

It'll be fascinating to see how things play out and what, if any, differences our actions make.

Indeed, I've been thinking a bit about a potential return to Italy, and our efforts in Samnium - and with the Pentri specifically - could end up being an important diversion.
On our return, I have been thinking that when/if we switch sides we have to immediately send word to our household to leave Rome. Sure, we would only turn from one Roman to the other, but I really don't want to flip coins on the well being of our two sisters and the servants and slaves.
Bad enough that I expect that should we not swiftly return our estate will be confiscated, forcing us to get it back after the war.

On our return, I have been thinking that when/if we switch sides we have to immediately send word to our household to leave Rome. Sure, we would only turn from one Roman to the other, but I really don't want to flip coins on the well being of our two sisters and the servants and slaves.
Bad enough that I expect that should we not swiftly return our estate will be confiscated, forcing us to get it back after the war.
Absolutely. My hope, as I think it's the best scenario for us, is that Marius dies in Asia leaving us able to openly go over to Sulla while he's still in Greece.

For the Samnites timing will be important. Does Marius the Younger whip up their fear before we even get back and have a chance to mollify them? Would the fact they've now been made promises by Rome twice here make them more hesitant to take up arms, or more likely?
Oh, before I forget, I think our best case scenario would be for the Samnites to not rise up en masse and for us to lobby for an assignement to "garrison/pacify" them for Sulla. I'm not naive enough to think that we won't fight Romans in Italy, but a part of me hopes that we might be able to sit out a siege of Rome, making sure that our name won't be too attached to Sulla being Sulla on his return to the city.
While we would be there we could order our men to start working on the streets (since of the four promises we made that one will likely not be high on the Marian to-do list.)

Last edited:
Small question, why does Marius think Sertorius is a backstabber? Worst I know he did was threatening to turn against him if he kept on purging Rome.

Omake: A Blade Poised
I'm not entirely happy with this. But if I don't post it I'll just edit it, and edit it and eventually delete it.

An Omake set in a possible future, one where Atellus realises Pompey might require him to put certain contingencies in place... Just in case.

A Blade Poised

A Blade Poised said:
The view from Crassus' Villa in Capri was perhaps more beautiful, but to you it could never quite measure up to the sight before you now. When, at the conclusion of the war, you had decided it was time to finally purchase a home within Rome itself Sulla's proscriptions – and your service to him – had made it relatively straightforward. And so, alongside your other investments, you had spared no expense on what would come to be your home and secured for yourself a rather impressive property upon the Palatine Hill.

You had spent quite a bit of time selecting the property that would be your home, and amongst the list of requirements one had stood clearly at the top... A great balcony from which you could overlook Rome and the great beauty it held, for your first meeting with Scaevola had long stayed with you.

And so now as you looked over the great expanse of Rome, from its winding and imperfect streets to the Forum to the Temples, from the homes of the lowliest slums to the villas of the great and powerful it instilled in you a great sense that you were home.

Unfortunately, there was one who would see all that you have taken from you.

"Pompey still speaks openly against me?"

Your voice was quiet and measured, musing rather than conversational. Indeed, if anyone else was present they would simply assume you were speaking to yourself.

Proserpina was excellent at her job.

"Yes dominus, you were wise to ask your patron not to bring any pressure to bear on him."

"Indeed," you said with a smile. "I yet know little of intrigue, but it is clear to me that if you give men the freedom to speak against you then they will do so. But force them into silence and they will simply take their conversations to hidden places where those of a like mind dwell and conspiracies are born."

Proserpina stilled for a moment before responding. "You must yet be careful dominus. As I have reported, there are still conversations held behind closed doors."

"There are," you admit. "But they are fewer than they would otherwise be."

You pause briefly, enjoying the wine and the view. "His conversations with the Dictator will not grant him my death, not after all I did, not while I have the backing of Scaevola. And the others… the others are heard by you."

"Do not worry Proserpina." You turn to smile at her. "Continue to do as you have done. As long as his private conversations still make his way to you I am safe."

"Yes dominus."

"Now," you say. "How many of my distant cousins have you found? And will any be of use?"

--------------------------------

The war against Mithridates had changed and shaped Quintus in ways he could never have imagined. They had also revealed things within the legion that he had never expected. Fate was odd like that.

One of those things was Lucius Domitius, son of Prandus. Prandus, who had fought in Spain in Legio X Hispania Invicta… First alongside, then later under the command of one Lucius Cingulatus Atellus.

And Prandus Domitius had been a fortunate man, with five sons all of whom survived to adulthood. Too many sons for his small farm. And so, some had been forced to seek their fortunes elsewhere, like his third son, Lucius.

Lucius had made his way to Italia where he enlisted in the legions, fighting under Sulla in the Social War before promptly finding himself, and his legion, on garrison duty when their beloved General departed for Greece.

And in time there came new recruits, a new commander, and a new tribune. Quintus Cingulatus, son of Lucius Cingulatus. Atellus, son of Atellus.

Atellus who had given his father glory, riches and a farm to raise his sons on. Atellus who had now given him glory and riches.

Now he stood in the dim light of the legion Barracks and watched as his Tribune, his hero, sat before him, jaw clenched in annoyance.

"It seems he won't stop Lucius, not until I am driven from Rome… or dead."

"I am yours to command, Tribune," you say.

Atellus stilled for a moment before turning to him with a smile. "I know you are Lucius, and I thank you for it."

"I still remember our first meeting Lucius," Atellus said, reminiscing. "I promoted you on the advice of Carcellus, did you know?"

"No Tribune, though I knew it had to be on the advice of another." And it was not a surprise to you, you had never had the honour of meeting the Tribune before your promotion.

Atellus chuckled briefly, "You can speak freely Lucius. I don't need unflinching obedience here."

You relax at the Tribunes words, relaxing and letting your posture settle.

"It caused me trouble I'm sure you know. The legion was split then and I hadn't realised that all the candidates recommended to me were Plebians. It was worth it though, we persevered, came together and you have all proved your worth." Atellus paused for a second, looking back to Lucius. "You above all."

"Thank you, Sir" you said, ignoring his look at your form of address. From him, that meant more to you than most people would ever understand. "The politics, the schemes of the Nobilis… I don't understand them. I'm just a Centurion, a soldier. When I have enemies, I just kill them."

Seated across the room Atellus frowned then took a deep breath before speaking. "I was the same once, I understood nothing of the game – as they think of it – but I have been forced to learn quickly. And as for your suggestion Pompey is well protected, unfortunately, and the blame would fall on me regardless." He slowed towards the end, trailing off.

The silence that followed was uncomfortable and the weight of his gaze more so. His thoughts were inscrutable to you and though the Tribune had said to be at ease in this moment you felt measured like you never had before. Whatever standard he was seeking in you, you refused to fall short.

"Unless… Unless it came from within. Within his own legion."

You still, immediately understanding what he is implying. Another man would stay silent and let the unspoken request pass and let the conversation continue. A less loyal man would weigh the benefits, the possibilities of future rewards against the burden this would be, the cost if you were to fail.

But you are his man, and this needs to be done.

"I could enlist in his legion."

Atellus took a deep breath as he seemed to consider the offer and you relax as you realise you have not misread him.

"You would need to hide your wounds," he said cautiously. "Enlist in the ranks, it would be no small thing to even manage. Much less to get close enough to him that a sword could reach its mark."

"And yet it would be no hardship Tribune, not for you." You answer firmly. "Besides, Hispania is a rough country, the natives are still restless, so my scars will be easily ignored. And my promotion came from ability, I will manage again."

You had just committed yourself to reliving years of struggle you had only just overcome. Reduced pay, and the strict discipline a newly enlisted man faced… And you regretted it not at all.

If you were honest, you had never felt prouder. To be trusted with such a thing was more than you ever imagined.

You looked across to the Tribune and saw sadness in his eyes. A strange thing, you thought, for a man just offered a solution to such a threat. But it did not surprise you that you did not understand. Great men were not easily understood.

"I will never forget this Lucius."

He didn't offer a reward, and you were glad for it. You felt it would have lessened him and you would never wish to see that.

"If I had a legion of men in your image… What place, what army could hope to stop it?"

"Thank you, Tribune."

You were wrong. You could be prouder.

Word Count (if it matters) ~1364

Last edited:
I'm not entirely happy with this. But if I don't post it I'll just edit it, and edit it and eventually delete it.

An Omake set in a possible future, one where Atellus realises Pompey might require him to put certain contingencies in place... Just in case.

The view from Crassus' Villa in Capri was perhaps more beautiful, but to you it could never quite measure up to the sight before you now. When, at the conclusion of the war, you had decided it was time to finally purchase a home within Rome itself Sulla's proscriptions – and your service to him – had made it relatively straightforward. And so, alongside your other investments, you had spared no expense on what would come to be your home and secured for yourself a rather impressive property upon the Palatine Hill.

You had spent quite a bit of time selecting the property that would be your home, and amongst the list of requirements one had stood clearly at the top... A great balcony from which you could overlook Rome and the great beauty it held, for your first meeting with Scaevola had long stayed with you.

And so now as you looked over the great expanse of Rome, from its winding and imperfect streets to the Forum to the Temples, from the homes of the lowliest slums to the villas of the great and powerful it instilled in you a great sense that you were home.

Unfortunately, there was one who would see all that you have taken from you.

"Pompey still speaks openly against me?"

Your voice was quiet and measured, musing rather than conversational. Indeed, if anyone else was present they would simply assume you were speaking to yourself.

Proserpina was excellent at her job.

"Yes dominus, you were wise to ask your patron not to bring any pressure to bear on him."

"Indeed," you said with a smile. "I yet know little of intrigue, but it is clear to me that if you give men the freedom to speak against you then they will do so. But force them into silence and they will simply take their conversations to hidden places where those of a like mind dwell and conspiracies are born."

Proserpina stilled for a moment before responding. "You must yet be careful dominus. As I have reported, there are still conversations held behind closed doors."

"There are," you admit. "But they are fewer than they would otherwise be."

You pause briefly, enjoying the wine and the view. "His conversations with the Dictator will not grant him my death, not after all I did, not while I have the backing of Scaevola. And the others… the others are heard by you."

"Do not worry Proserpina." You turn to smile at her. "Continue to do as you have done. As long as his private conversations still make his way to you I am safe."

"Yes dominus."

"Now," you say. "How many of my distant cousins have you found? And will any be of use?"

--------------------------------

The war against Mithridates had changed and shaped Quintus in ways he could never have imagined. They had also revealed things within the legion that he had never expected. Fate was odd like that.

One of those things was Lucius Domitius, son of Prandus. Prandus, who had fought in Spain in Legio X Hispania Invicta… First alongside, then later under the command of one Lucius Cingulatus Atellus.

And Prandus Domitius had been a fortunate man, with five sons all of whom survived to adulthood. Too many sons for his small farm. And so, some had been forced to seek their fortunes elsewhere, like his third son, Lucius.

Lucius had made his way to Italia where he enlisted in the legions, fighting under Sulla in the Social War before promptly finding himself, and his legion, on garrison duty when their beloved General departed for Greece.

And in time there came new recruits, a new commander, and a new tribune. Quintus Cingulatus, son of Lucius Cingulatus. Atellus, son of Atellus.

Atellus who had given his father glory, riches and a farm to raise his sons on. Atellus who had now given him glory and riches.

Now he stood in the dim light of the legion Barracks and watched as his Tribune, his hero, sat before him, jaw clenched in annoyance.

"It seems he won't stop Lucius, not until I am driven from Rome… or dead."

"I am yours to command, Tribune," you say.

Atellus stilled for a moment before turning to him with a smile. "I know you are Lucius, and I thank you for it."

"I still remember our first meeting Lucius," Atellus said, reminiscing. "I promoted you on the advice of Carcellus, did you know?"

"No Tribune, though I knew it had to be on the advice of another." And it was not a surprise to you, you had never had the honour of meeting the Tribune before your promotion.

Atellus chuckled briefly, "You can speak freely Lucius. I don't need unflinching obedience here."

You relax at the Tribunes words, relaxing and letting your posture settle.

"It caused me trouble I'm sure you know. The legion was split then and I hadn't realised that all the candidates recommended to me were Plebians. It was worth it though, we persevered, came together and you have all proved your worth." Atellus paused for a second, looking back to Lucius. "You above all."

"Thank you, Sir" you said, ignoring his look at your form of address. From him, that meant more to you than most people would ever understand. "The politics, the schemes of the Nobilis… I don't understand them. I'm just a Centurion, a soldier. When I have enemies, I just kill them."

Seated across the room Atellus frowned then took a deep breath before speaking. "I was the same once, I understood nothing of the game – as they think of it – but I have been forced to learn quickly. And as for your suggestion Pompey is well protected, unfortunately, and the blame would fall on me regardless." He slowed towards the end, trailing off.

The silence that followed was uncomfortable and the weight of his gaze more so. His thoughts were inscrutable to you and though the Tribune had said to be at ease in this moment you felt measured like you never had before. Whatever standard he was seeking in you, you refused to fall short.

"Unless… Unless it came from within. Within his own legion."

You still, immediately understanding what he is implying. Another man would stay silent and let the unspoken request pass and let the conversation continue. A less loyal man would weigh the benefits, the possibilities of future rewards against the burden this would be, the cost if you were to fail.

But you are his man, and this needs to be done.

"I could enlist in his legion."

Atellus took a deep breath as he seemed to consider the offer and you relax as you realise you have not misread him.

"You would need to hide your wounds," he said cautiously. "Enlist in the ranks, it would be no small thing to even manage. Much less to get close enough to him that a sword could reach its mark."

"And yet it would be no hardship Tribune, not for you." You answer firmly. "Besides, Hispania is a rough country, the natives are still restless, so my scars will be easily ignored. And my promotion came from ability, I will manage again."

You had just committed yourself to reliving years of struggle you had only just overcome. Reduced pay, and the strict discipline a newly enlisted man faced… And you regretted it not at all.

If you were honest, you had never felt prouder. To be trusted with such a thing was more than you ever imagined.

You looked across to the Tribune and saw sadness in his eyes. A strange thing, you thought, for a man just offered a solution to such a threat. But it did not surprise you that you did not understand. Great men were not easily understood.

"I will never forget this Lucius."

He didn't offer a reward, and you were glad for it. You felt it would have lessened him and you would never wish to see that.

"If I had a legion of men in your image… What place, what army could hope to stop it?"

"Thank you, Tribune."

You were wrong. You could be prouder.

Word Count (if it matters) ~1364

Quintus Cingulatus Atellus dreams of foes both old and new, and of blades and treachery in Rome. When he wakes, he resolves to make himself better known to his centurions — including one Lucius Domitius. There is promise in him, a loyalty that might do great things.

400 XP to Intrigue.

If we did take, blessing of Fortuna at the start, I wonder what that would have looked like, what would be the stat increase, is there a secret luck stat or something?

If we did take, blessing of Fortuna at the start, I wonder what that would have looked like, what would be the stat increase, is there a secret luck stat or something?
Somewhere in the thread Telamon posted what the different gifts would have entailed (gift of Venus would have given us a lover at the start for example, in addition to bonuses to certain rolls.)

Gift of Mars would've been an automatic +5 to all martial/military-related rolls, with a +1000 to all training rolls and +200 extra XP gained with every 'military' event.

Gift of Apollo gives +5 to all Oratory rolls, plus the same XP bonuses/gain bonuses as military (except they now apply to Oratory, obviously). You also get permanent populares, bonus to relations with the Plebs, and situational charisma bonuses. You also would've gotten the unique 'Demagogue' trait.

Gift of Venus is a +5 to all Charisma rolls, with the requisite XP bonuses as the last two for Charisma. You also would've got the unique 'Adonis' trait, and started off with one lover/paramour/what have you.

Gift of Fortuna is a +1 to all rolls, much like Minerva, but it also applies to rolls you have no control over, whereas Minerva only applies in situations where you can actually leverage your greater intelligence. It also would've given you the unique trait Fortuna's Beloved, which would've given +5 to all rolls in near-death situations, and essentially would've made unlikely things more likely. I'd probably have used it to tip the balance in close calls (i.e, you're one vote from being elected Consul, and an old friend who is a Senator makes a miraculous appearance despite last being seen in Gaul, casting the deciding vote for you.)

Gift of Bellona is a straight +7 to all personal combat rolls, and you would've got the unique trait 'Berserker', granting you special bonuses in combat situations. You'd also get more options to intimidate or physically threaten people.

Gift of Mercury is essentially a straight +5 to Stewardship, with bonuses to XP gains and rolls where any sort of 'deal' is being made. You'd also get more money-related choices and events.

Bank: 4800 XP
Pending: 2300 XP on learning skill Augury; a further 2000 Augury XP and a free Rank of Intelligence on meeting the Pythia; one reroll on a failed interaction with a Sullan.

Stats:
Military: Accomplished (14) -- (Levels 10-14) (+2 Modifier) -- (3384/10000) to Rank 15 (+4 Modifier)

Charisma: Accomplished (11) -- (Levels 10-14) (+2 Modifier) -- (4060/10000) to Rank 12
Stewardship: Poor (4) -- (Levels 4) (-2 Modifier) -- (1200/4000) to Rank 5 (No Modifier)

Intelligence: Renowned (15) -- (Levels 15-17) (+4 Modifier) -- (3384/15000) to Rank 16
Education: Accomplished (10) -- (Levels 10-14) (+2 Modifier) -- (3400/10000) to Rank 11
Subterfuge: Average (7) -- (Levels 5-7) (No Modifier) -- (1200/7000) to Rank 8 (+1 Modifier)

Skills:
Combat: Accomplished (10) -- (Levels 10-14) (+2 Modifier) -- (5790/10000) to Rank 11
Oratory: Accomplished (11) --(Levels 10-14) (+2 Modifier) -- (2326/10000) to Rank 12
Command: Proficient (8) -- (Levels 8-9) (+1 Modifier) -- (6152/8000) to Rank 9
Engineering: Abysmal (1) -- (Levels 0-1) (-6 Modifier) -- (0/1000) to Rank 2 (-4 Modifier)

Seafaring: Very Poor (3) -- (Levels 2-3) (-4 Modifier) -- (1143/3000) to Rank 4 (-2 Modifier)
Logistics: Very Poor (2) -- (Levels 2-3) (-4 Modifier) -- (1873/2000) to Rank 3
Law: Proficient (9) -- (Levels 8-9) (+1 Modifier) -- (4535/9000) to Rank 10 (+2 Modifier)

Philosophy: Average (5) -- (Levels 5-7) (No Modifier) -- (374/5000) to Rank 6
Administration: Average (5) -- (Levels 5-7) (No Modifier) -- (4750/5000) to Rank 6
Diplomacy: Accomplished (10) -- (Levels 10-14) (+2 Modifier) -- (1751/10000) to Rank 11

Last edited:
Would it be possible to put 127 Banked XP into Logistics to rank up there? It's an important stat for a military career as Wars are won more on Logistics than on Tactics.

I think it's worthwhile, especially given the amount of wars we'll be fighting, not only now but in the future.

Would it be possible to put 127 Banked XP into Logistics to rank up there? It's an important stat for a military career as Wars are won more on Logistics than on Tactics.

I think it's worthwhile, especially given the amount of wars we'll be fighting, not only now but in the future.
It's technically possible, but absolutely unnecessary right now, because raising it to rank 3 doesn't raise the modifier. We'd need to also sink 3000 XP to rank it up to Poor and -2 Modifier, and that would be most of our banked XP when we are close to Renowned Military.

It's technically possible, but absolutely unnecessary right now, because raising it to rank 3 doesn't raise the modifier. We'd need to also sink 3000 XP to rank it up to Poor and -2 Modifier, and that would be most of our banked XP when we are close to Renowned Military.

We shouldn't neglect it. We're in joint command of a Legion now, which means that we're going to be responsible for provisions for 6,000 men.

Back