March 17th, 84 BC
670 Years After The Founding Of Rome
The Year of Asiaticus and Cinna.

Since before the time of Alexander, Asia has been the battleground of empires. The Macedonians, the Persians, and now the Romans have all struggled and warred and bled over this land in years past, even as you and yours do now. And conflict, above all things, breeds mercenaries as corpses breed flies. The wars of Alexander the Great's successors heralded a new age of sellswords, when the best and brightest soldiers of the Mediterranean made their way to Macedon and Phyrgia to kill and be killed for coin. The Romans have not shied from this practice -- far from it. Indeed, Greek mercenaries rode with Scipio against Hannibal, and later helped Rome conquer their own peoples one by one.

The man Herakleo, who commands the mercenaries now under Marius, is but the latest and last of a long line in this Attic tradition, a warrior who first learned of war under Mithridates, and now fight against him for Roman coin. The warriors who follow him originate from across the Hellenic world -- peltasts from Tarentum, Epirote hoplites, and Trapezuntine horsemen. Some hail from even further beyond, in the far-flung corners of world where Alexander left Greeks scattered in his wake like leaves in the wind.

All of these disparate origins are reflected in the mercenaries' camp, which they have thrown up outside the city walls of Sardis. It is a melting pot of a half-dozen accents and peoples, and the variety within is startling to your Roman eyes -- you see men pale as northern snow and men dark as Persian bronze, some bearded and some not, some shaven bald as children and others hairy all over. All, however, speak Greek, and walk with the self-assured pride of the Hellenes.
Quite interesting to see just how, in a weird way, multicultural this mercenary group is, with it consisting of what seem to be Northern Europeans, to use a somewhat anachronistic term.
All of them speak Greek though? I'm surprised that's actually possible, but knowing the inner-hows and linguistic abilities of late-Roman Republican era mercenary groups isn't one of them. Though I do wonder how we were able to communicate with the Gauls back in Samnium, were we both speaking Latin? Were we both speaking in our native tongues?

You have spent your last few days in Sardis hobknobbing and making connections with the publicani and public officials of the city, but you have tired of the endless currying of favor and the back-and-forth of the political bantering so common to men of wealth. Today, you have chosen to meet instead with the mercenary, Herakleo, at this great camp of his. Instead of the mercenary himself, however, you are met on the outskirts of the camp by a small curly-haired youth, perhaps ten or eleven years old. Wordlessly, he beckons you forth, then turns and vanishes into the nest of mercenary tents. Lacking any other readily apparent choice, you follow him. Your tiny guide leads you silently through the thick and weedlike cluster of the mercenary camp, all the way up to a large tent where the chaos simply...stops. All the other tents hang back from it by at least a foot, and the men walking around it give it a respectful berth. Even your guide hangs back, ushering you forward with a tilt of his small head. You gather yourself, and pass into the tent.
Bringing little kids into a mercenary camp is actually a thing? And on active campaigns? Does seem a bit odd of people to do so, but I have heard that Victor Hugo used to accompany his dad when he was out campaigning, playing in used battlefields and such, so I guess things like this is the precedence.

Herakleo waits inside, looming upon a wide couch and attended by a throng of slaves. You have glimpsed the mercenary from afar, in battle, but up close and personal, he is a sight to behold. He is a toppling tower of a man, a great red mountain of muscle and flesh and jungled hair that rises half a foot above your head while still seated. Two coal-black eyes stare intensely at you from a head lined and matted with dozens upon dozens of scars, some old, some new, and others never-healed. His ruined face bristles with a great black beard, behind which his remaining teeth flash like white daggers when he speaks. He reminds you uncomfortably of an illustration in a scroll you once saw long ago. It depicted one of the great old giants of ancient Greece, whom it is said made war upon the gods.

This man, you think, could make war upon the gods. By the look of him, perhaps he has.
This man seems rather tall, and while it was never mentioned we were particularly small, we weren't that all either. So, if he towers over us even with him sitting down, I'd wager he somewhere around the upper 6 feet range.
Either that or Attellus' imagination is making him think he is taller than he is, unreliable narrator and all that.

"Ah," the giant booms, "the Roman." He speaks with a thick, slow accent that you cannot quite place, one which forces you to sit and wait while the words drop like dinnerplates from his lips.

He beckons with a plate-sized hand to one of the soft chairs tossed up around his tent, and you find a seat, feeling uncomfortably small.

Herakleo gestures to one of his women, who presses a cup of wine into your hands.

"You fight well, boy. Take that as the compliment it is."

You open your mouth to reply, but the giant's voice cuts off your own.

"Do you know why I allowed you this audience?" The big man reclines in his chair, his eyes studying yours.

Gathering yourself, you take a sip of wine. You think you have the measure of him now, and take your time replying. Mercenaries are proud men. Let any man lead armies around long enough, and he begins to get ideas about his station. Time to remind him who he serves.

"Are you a king, to allow audiences with Rome? I asked to break words with you because, as Marius' tribune-"

"No." Again, he cuts you off, and you scowl into your cup. "I allowed you here. I brought you into my camp and my tent. Your world, Roman, ends where mine begins. I will take your coin, but I do not serve you, and I do not grovel at your feet. No man is master to Herakleo. Not Marius, and certainly not you, whelpling. Romans grow arrogant young, it seems."

"It would seem Greeks are born with it," you snipe back.

There is a long silence, and then the black beard parts, and the great molars flash white. "The last Roman I said that to half pissed himself on the spot."

"A poor Roman, then." Your voice is quite confident, though a small part of your mind quietly notes that the mercenary could fit your entire skull into one of his paws and have room left over.

The massive sellsword's eyes' narrow. "Marius, it seems, is the most arrogant of the lot."

Your reply is simple. "It is earned. He is Marius."

"Earned or not, I will not lead my men to pointless deaths. I have heard something of what happens in Rome. Your people make war on each other, and even mighty Marius is not unopposed -- there is another, in the west. He sacks the great cities and puts their princes to the sword. The fortune of your brother-war is in Marius' favor now, but I wonder what happens if it turns? Or if Marius himself should fall? He is old, I hear, and growing older, and must now make war on two fronts."

Alarm spikes through you. "You would turn to other masters, then?" Herakleo commands a not-insignificant portion of your troops. If he should turn to Mithridates or Sulla...

The mercenary is quiet a long moment. "Herakleo watches. And he considers."

"Watch that you consider wisely. There are many masters in Asia now, but soon there will only be one, and he will remember who aided him in victory, and who 'considered' a moment too long."

There is a sound like thunderclaps bursting. After a moment, you realize Herakleo is chuckling. "Fine advice, little Roman. Mind you heed it yourself."

He claps his great hands, and you think your airdrums might burst. "Fret not. While the Egyptian's coin remains, so shall Herakleo." As if he has come to a decision, the mercenary rises to his feet waving you towards the door. Your breath falters for a moment as you take in the full height of the man, but you rise to meet him in a clasp of hands. His great fist entirely envelops your own, and his light squeeze perhaps pops a tendon.
Herakleo seems like the classic mercenary, fight for the side that looks like they are gonna come out on top and offers some extra muscle, but not especially loyal to anyone. Though as long as the money keeps coming, he'll stay "loyal".
Also odd that we spoke so smoothly, I would've expected some communication break downs as Attellus isn't exactly an expert at speaking Greek. Though I guess being laughed out of the camp due to poor Greek could've happened if we failed the roll.

"My son will guide you back to the city. Until we meet again, whelpling."

You make your own shaking farewells, then exit the tent.

The small silent boy waits outside, grinning.
Ah, so that's what that kid was doing here, accompanying his dad around the camp, just like Victor Hugo did. Who knows, kid might one day end up a pretty great poet if this mercenary thing his dad does doesn't work out so well.

March 20th, 84 BC
The Year of
Asiaticus and Cinna.

Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love, was founded some hundred years ago by a king of Pergamon in honor of his brother, who was his most loyal supporter and ally. Pergamon became a client state of Rome, and later a city of Roman Asia, but the Philadelphians never forgot their ancient roots, and their love for their brother Greeks. When Mithridates came, they rose up as one to overthrow their Roman masters. The bloodbath which followed lasted seven days and nights, and when it was over, not a single one of the hundreds of Romans who had lived in the city drew breath. Mamercus Vidianus, the Roman governor of Philadelphia, was the last to die, strangled in the town square by the fathers of the city, who then declared that the Philadelphians would never be slaves again.

It is an act you might almost call brave, were it not committed against Rome.

Philadelphia has no walls -- it has never needed them, for it is brother to all around it. When the Philadelphians see the spears of the Romans shining on the hills above their city, they send an envoy, a boy of fifteen, to plead terms with Marius. The city fathers wish a bloodless peace, he says. They will freely give up their silver and precious things -- he need only spare the city.

Marius laughs in the boy's face. The laughter is cruel, and there is no mercy in it, or in him. Philadelphia is unwalled and defenseless, absent soldiers or friends. They have no standing to make terms -- this is the last ploy of desperate men. Marius sends the boy back without tongue or eyes, bearing his reply on a scroll: Rome does not break words with traitors. The city fathers, the great elders of Philadelphia, will surrender themselves to him by nightfall, along with all their sons, or Philadelphia will burn as Athens now burns. They send no response, but a short hour after Marius issues his ultimatum, a procession of grey-bearded men files out of the city, their eyes noble and proud. Beside them are their sons, strong and young, the future of their city.

Marius has their sons strangled, one by one, as Vidianus was strangled. It takes hours. Some are boys as young as twelve, others men in their prime. Many are as old as you. It is not an easy sight to watch, even for soldiers with years of war behind them, and you avert your eyes many times. One Tribune retches, though you all pretend not to notice.

After the deed is done, Marius forces their fathers to crucify the corpses at swordpoint, and has them raised along the main road to the city, as warning to all who might stand now or ever against Rome -- or against Marius, though that need not be said aloud. When they are done, he forces the elders to kneel in the same city square where they strangled Vidianus and swear oaths of fealty to Rome. Their backs are slumped, and their eyes, so proud mere hours ago, are heavy with the weight of fathers who have outlived their sons. He forces one in every ten citizens of the city into servitude, and strips their coffers bare. Those who he suffers to remain will survive only on the mercy of Rome. Marius proclaims that the Philadelphians will be slaves, for so long as Rome wills it.

The City of Brotherly Love, it will be said in these parts for long after, asked Marius for a bloodless peace -- and received it.
Wow, it is a bad time to be a city called Philly. One had their team swept in the playoffs, the other had their kids' corpses put up on a cross by their parents as a display of submission. Both equally terrible, in my opinion.

That afternoon, Marius stands before his legions on a makeshift podium assembled from the gathered spoils of Philadelphia. Golden goblets and brassy tablets are scattered at his feet, a shining hoard of stolen treasure that sparkles in the evening sun, which sinks lower beneath the horizon with each passing moment. The red sunlight glints off the stolen gold, casting strange shadows across the crags of Marius' face. Perhaps it is a trick of this curious interplay of light, but Marius does not look much like an old man at the moment. Indeed, you reflect as you stand amid the throng of soldiery, he does not look much like a man at all.

"My sons," Marius begins, his voice creaking in the wind. "I will not speak overlong. You know I am not fond of public speaking, for the gods have not graced me with skill on the podium. My father labored in the fields, and worked --as I have, and as I do-- with his hands. I was not raised an orator. My childhood, I am ashamed to remind you, was the plow, the hammer and the seed. Unlike those fortunate and better-born, I come from nothing ancient or noble, and my plebian ancestors are not counted among the fathers of our great city. So, when my words seem to you not as fair as those of a Claudius or a Scipio, I ask you to remember that I am only Marius."

A cry comes from somewhere deep in the crowd behind you. "Better Marius than all the rest!" A great cheer follows, and it is only when it subsides that Marius speaks again, raising his hands in a gesture of humility.

"And so, as one not born to glory, I never saw, nor dreamed to see, such wealth as is laid before me today. What hope could we simple men of Rome have of the lucre of far great Greece?" He stoops to grasp a thick handful of glittering coins from the bounty at his feet. "Yet here it lies before me, as real and hard and solid as any of you. Our fathers were humble men. They knew their place in the world, which the Gods had seen fit to lay upon them. To the Greeks was given gold and marble and silver and all that is fair. To the Romans was the sword, and that was all their lot."

He raises a glittering gold coin into the dying sunlight and inspects it for a long moment.

"The priests will forgive me my blasphemy, my sons, for it seems to me that in this, the gods have erred. For they gave Rome the greater lot, and now she has come for her share of all the rest!" The crowd cheers, but Marius continues, his voice booming over their shouts like a thunderclap, reaching into your chest and seizing your heart. "And what a share it shall be! And this share, it does not belong to the Senate or their cronies! It does not belong to those who are already fat with your wealth and your blood! It does not belong to the merchants or the fleshmen, to the craven or the cowardly! It does not even belong to Marius, for what is Marius but your voice?! It belongs, my brothers, to those who have shed blood and sweat to win it! It belongs to the true sons of Rome!"

Marius thrusts his arms into the air, pausing a long moment. You cannot speak, and neither can any other man in the crowd. The crowd is rapture-silent. Marius holds your tongues in his grip.

"It belongs to you, my legions! I give you the wealth of song and story! I give you the golden treasures of Olympus! I give you the lot the gods gave the Greeks, and more still! We shall take the cities of the kings of the Greeks, and bring them low! Stand by me in the days to come, and all this treasure will seem a pittance to what you will inherit by my hand! So swears Marius!"

He draws his sword, which shines a golden crimson in the sunset, and shoves it into the air. His back is bent no more, and there is nothing tired or mortal about him -- indeed, a part of you thinks, if there is a god of war, he must stand now before you in the flesh. "ROMA INVICTA!"

The yell which returns from the legions shakes the very hills. Despite yourself, it rips from your throat, and you find yourself chanting in time with fifteen thousand mouths, your voices blending into a primal roar that echoes up to heaven, both challenge and promise, threat and exaltation.

"ROMA INVICTA! ROMA INVICTA! ROMA INVICTA!"
Is Marius just displaying a false sense of modesty? From everyone's reaction, he seems like a damn good speaker to me. Also interesting that, even as far back as Ancient Rome, where people from modest backgrounds were looked down upon, using a rags to riches story is just as effective then as it is today. That isn't even mentioning that Marius is also leaning into a seeming cult of personality, acting like he's almost a god. Seems like Caesar really did pick a few tricks from Marius, with the whole man of the people and cult of personality thing he had.
Later that night, you find yourself high up on one of the hills overlooking Philadelphia with Rufus and Cassianus, your fellow Tribunes. The three of you are moving to inspect the final segment of your camp before laying in for the night, but you pause a short moment to take in the view from atop this promontory. Asia is a beautiful land, after all, and it is a beautiful night.

The moon sits round and crystal-white in the sky, covering the hilltop and the city in an unearthly silver haze. The moon is so bright to be nearly as clear as day. It is so bright, indeed, that you can just glimpse the distant mountainpeaks crawling into the horizon, so bright that you can see the buildings and streets and statues in the city beneath, so cruelly blindingly bright that you can easily make out the thin shape of the road below, along which are raised the dark shapes of the crucified sons of Philadelphia. Mere hours ago, when you raised those same crucifixes in the light of day, when you stood guard over weeping fathers and their dead sons, you felt triumphant, exhilarated, just. Something iron and hard deep inside you felt right. Now, as you look at the bodies white and cold in the moonlight, you do not feel right or just or triumphant. Indeed, all you feel are things you have no name for.

Rufus, you know without asking, is thinking many of the same things. "It's just occurred to me, Atellus, that we are very very far from home indeed." His voice is soft, as if he is whispering a terrible secret. Rufus often sounds older than his age, but right now he seems very young indeed.

You nod in silent reply. You always have the right words to say, but you are not quite sure where they have gone.

You are a Roman. A son of Mars. To you is given the smoke and the sword and the conqueror's gore. You know, of course, that the enemies of Rome made their fates when they stood against the city. They chose this, and you know that as certainly as you know the sun will rise in the morning. All you have stopped to do is take in this beautiful night.

Still, some of those corpses are so very small.

Cassianus, at your side, breathes in deeply, as if to say something, then clucks his tongue. Something heavy settles over the three of you, and for a long time no one speaks.

Suddenly, you feel deeply terribly embarrassed (or, perhaps, ashamed), and clear your throat loudly, shaking the other two men from their reverie. Neither of them will meet your eyes. You do not know if you want to meet theirs. Somehow, you know that wherever you go and whatever you do -- whatever you may become in the days and years ahead --, this long, terrible, quiet moment on a hill in the south of Asia will stay with the three of you forever.

You feel the overwhelming urge to say something, anything at all, to break the awful silence, and so you do.

"Roma Invicta."
Ah, even with different times and values, the site of a mass crucifixion as Marius just did would give anyone a sense of nausea, this including that guy retching from the sight of it. With Attellus taking note of one of the victims being so small, hinting at a small amount of horror, that could indicate that he would be far less brutal when he is all grown. Either that or he remembers this as a constant reminder of what has to be done in this cruel, cruel world. Hopefully its the former, I don't think anyone in this site could stomach doing something such as this, and the mods would probably take notice if we did.

Overall, this was a great end to the hiatus, and it looks like with the mention that Attellus is gonna be in his first great battle, with it seemingly saying that the fight with the Samnites and ambush of Lycidas is gonna be peanuts compared to what's gonna come up, we can look forward to more excitment.

Ave Telamon and all that.
PS: Has anyone hear read any of EricD's essays? While they cover a broad range of topics, a lot of them talk about Rome. Some of it displays common beliefs, as in, far from having terrible cavalry and triumphing over their enemies with teamwork and cohesion, there cavalry was actually very excellent and played numerous key roles in great victories, and that Rome was just as single combat oriented as the Gauls were. Pretty interesting stuff overall

Last edited:
At work right now, will react to this very welcome suprise update later!

To remind everyone what stats and skills does Atellus have, along with free XP and other pending rewards, here's my audit sheet I filled after the last update.
StatsLevelCurrent XPThresholdModifier
Military143384100002
Charisma114060100002
Stewardship412004000-2
Intelligence153384150004
Education103400100002
Subterfuge7120070000
Skills
Combat105790100002
Oratory112326100002
Command8615280001
Engineering101000-6
Seafaring311433000-4
Logistics218732000-4
Law9453590001
Philosophy537450000
Administration5425050000
Diplomacy101751100002
Pending
Free XP4800
2300 XP on Augury
2000 XP on Augury, Intel Rank Up on meeting Pythia
Reroll on failed social interaction with a Sullan
Unrated
After post-12875975
Spacegnom audit
Thank you very much for digging up the last numbers. On a quick spot check I only noticed that you didn't add the latest Admin reward here:
Quintus thinks often of his father's roads, and of what mark he himself will leave on the world when he is gone.

500 XP to Administration.

@Telamon
Great to see you back at this again! Quintus was always my favorite character of yours!
Do you have your own numbers written down somewhere? Or should we just use the table provided by agumentic above as the new starting point and let bygones be bygones?
Also I hope you have this modifer noted down somewhere for the upcoming battle:
February 15th, 84 BC

[...]
Gain +2 The Red God modifier to all combats for the next three months/until your next augury.

At work right now, will react to this very welcome suprise update later!

Thank you very much for digging up the last numbers. On a quick spot check I only noticed that you didn't add the latest Admin reward here:

@Telamon
Great to see you back at this again! Quintus was always my favorite character of yours!
Do you have your own numbers written down somewhere? Or should we just use the table provided by agumentic above as the new starting point and let bygones be bygones?
Also I hope you have this modifer noted down somewhere for the upcoming battle:

Agumentic's table looks to be fine at first glance. It definitely saved me a bit of headache for calculating XP rewards/boni for the next update, at least. Feel free to use that as a starting point (I certainly will.)

And yes, have no fear, I definitely am keeping an eye on that modifier.

Ok we give the money to the equites. We will need them to scout and what I want to do will be bloody and make use of them. Another reason to just give it to 1 group is that our stewardship is 4. Which is bad, and since we have been going for min max anything involving stewardship is not good for us.

We send the Calvary to scout and do Calvary drills and Infantry drills. The infantry still loves us but the Calvary are neutral. We find a way to Ford the river and attack from the other side when the Mithridites are crossing the river. Hitting them in a pincer move that we be a slaughter.

Marius' little pump up speech seems to have reignited some tensions between the infantry and cavalry, and just after we seemingly stamped that out.

Omake: Wisdom In War
Wisdom in War

Wisdom In War said:
Immersed as you are in your study it is only when the cup of wine is placed before you that you realise Rufus has even entered your quarters. The amused quirk of a smile on his face makes it clear he's quite aware of this.

"It's not like you to be so unaware of your surroundings." Rufus chuckles as he lounges in the seat before you. "What has captured your attention so?"

You lean back in your chair, regarding Rufus for a moment. He is much changed from when you first marched against on Samnium, when the laxness of the scholar held tightly to his frame, and by the end of the campaign he was a changed man. But the pace Marius has set in this conflict with Mithridates has been a step further still, and Rufus has begun to truly hold the appearance of a soldier.

"On our brief return to Rome I perused the writings of Gaius Cornelius Cethegus on the Second Punic War. He was Consul a mere four years after the conflict came to an end and travelled with Scipio Africanus and Marcus Minucius Rufus to mediate the peace between Masinissa and Carthage and seems to have gleaned some insight from Scipio during the journey."

Rufus takes another draught of his wine, perhaps attempting to hide his smile.

He fails. And his raised eyebrows are equally noticeable.

"During our return to Rome, was it?" He smiles. "You're certain this wasn't a more recent interest Atellus? Perhaps brought on by our new friend Cassianus?"

"I am now doing this," you continue – gesturing to the parchment before you – as though he had not spoken. "Because prior to our campaign in Samnium I had been studying the writings of Polybius on the rise of Rome as the preeminent power in the Mediterranean."

"And many would say the Second Punic War was perhaps the single defining moment in the Republics rise," Rufus interjects.

"Yes, exactly."

"And in studying the tactics and strategies of Hannibal and Scipio have you gained the insight you sought?"

"No," you say bluntly.

"No?"

You take a moment to enjoy Rufus' look of puzzlement. You had become well acquainted with it in the early months of your friendship, but it was becoming an increasingly rare expression.

"The tactics and strategies of Hannibal and Scipio are well recorded and studied. Indeed, even I have studied them, my father made sure of it. It is the actions of Fabius that interests me."

"Fabius the delayer?" Rufus questions. "Why would you want to read about his contributions? They're rather self-explanatory, aren't they? He didn't wish to be defeated and so cravenly avoided battle…"

You chuckle. Fabius' reputation had been badly damaged by his actions in the war, although the consequences that had later come from ignoring his strategy had seen him redeemed in the eyes of many.

Rufus it appears was not one such person.

"Quintus Fabius Maximus Verrucosus. Consul, Dictator and I believe a saviour of Rome."

"That," says Rufus. "Is quite an accolade to lay upon one such as he. One that many would not agree with."

You nod in acceptance. He's right of course, there are many people who do not fully appreciate what Fabius achieved, you were among them until quite recently.

"Let me put forward the case for Fabius then."

Rufus grins. "Am I, then, to be the prosecution?"

"By the end of this I hope not. If I cannot even convince you of this then I have erred greatly."

Taking a sip of wine, you allow yourself a moment to collect your thoughts. After all, this is a realisation you've only just grasped; and perhaps still not fully.

"Let me set the stage; Hannibal has marched on Italia, the Battle of Ticius has been lost and the Gauls south of the Alps have gone over to him bolstering his forces substantially.

Sempronius Longus, a Consul of the year, has been recalled from planning his invasion of Africa and sent to dispatch Hannibal, but his eyes are on the coming elections. And so, desperate for swift glory he has been drawn to perhaps the worst possible location for battle and foolishly he has taken it. He may have survived, but of the near 40,000 he led into battle only 10,000 escaped. The rest dead or captured.

Rome is in a panic, with many terrified that Hannibal will suddenly appear before the very walls. The Battle of Trebia is a disaster."

Rufus interrupts you, and you are glad for it as the wine is rather good and now you can enjoy it for a moment.

"Your Oratorical ability continues to serve you well Atellus, even in this."

"History is but a story with dates attached," you retort. "Why should it not be told as compellingly as fiction?"

Ruffus merely hums in agreement, gesturing for you to continue.

"At any rate, Hannibal did not march on Rome instead choosing to rest his men for the winter. And with the new year came new Consuls, who raised new armies and set out to engage and destroy him. The greater of these Consuls – and in saying that I mean only that he was the more popular and influential, not that he had any particular merit – was Gaius Flaminius and he would lead his legions to what would be, for a short time, the greatest military failure of the Roman Republic."

"The Battle of Lake Trasimene." Rufus grimaces.

"Indeed. Although quite fortunately for him," you joke. "It was only the worst failing in the history of the Republic for six months or so until Cannae."

A raised eyebrow is the only reply. Not, it seems, a funny joke. Perhaps not then.

"I'm sure you've studied the battle to some extent. Needless to say Hannibal continued as he had been, by luring yet another Consul and yet another army into the worst possible location for them to give battle."

You pause for a moment. Not for the wine this time, but rather to ensure what came next had the proper impact.

"An entire army," you say. "Killed or captured. Their Consul, whatever little he was worth, falling with them."

This time your pause is for the wine.

It is Rufus this time who breaks the silence, clearly keen to reach the crux of your assertion. In truth you are as well because only in giving voice to it, in defending it, will you be able to confirm you are not mistaken.

"And so we come to Fabius, who you call a saviour of Rome, simply because he avoided defeat. Even against Hannibal, is that such an accomplishment?"

"A touch unfair don't you think Rufus?" You ask lightly.

There's a small smile of amusement in place as he replies. You think he might be starting to enjoy this, but then as much as he has improved as a soldier Rufus is still at heart a scholar.

"You've yet to convince me of that."

"I'd best get to it then," you retort.

"As you say, militarily Fabius undertook a strategy of 'avoiding battle', or rather avoiding battle unless he could determine the time and place of battle. He choose instead to skirmish with his outriders and strike Hannibal's supply lines. This matters because it was now quite clear – or should have been – that Hannibal was exceptionally skilled at goading his enemy into taking a battle at a disadvantageous location."

"That's true," admits Rufus slowly.

"And so Fabius denied him this until he finally trapped him in Campania."

"And let him escape."

You chuckle quietly at the interruption. Rufus is being drawn into this little discussion; you can almost see him sobering before your eyes as he becomes more engaged.

"Yes, he did," you start. "But here we reach the crux of the matter. The state of Rome before Fabius was that of sheer terror and panic, hence his appointment as Dictator, and we know what happened next don't we?"

Rufus looks slightly quizzical, many things happened next and he's clearly trying to decide what exactly you're referring too. In the end you let the silence stretch, giving Rufus time to think.

Eventually, though, you take pity on him and give him a prompt.

"The election."

"Ah!" He exclaims, jumping slightly in his seat. "Varro then, not the elevation of Minucius?"

"Exactly Rufus. While the elevation of Minucius to co-dictator and his immediate defeat in battle does serve as an interesting point – and beyond that is a constitutional curiosity – it is the following years' election that is important.

Rome went, over the course of a year, from feeling that the time of Rome was over to electing a populist demagogue who advocated an aggressive strategy utilising overwhelming force against an enemy who had destroyed one army after another. That is the key."

This is what you have come to realise. Fabius' strategy wasn't just one to counter Hannibal militarily and deny him the pitched battle he sought, but also a strategy to counter him politically! Although admittedly, the election of Varro was surely not his intent.

Before you, you can see Rufus' mind whirling, now perched on the edge of his chair rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

"The mob is… volatile Atellus, this has always been true," Rufus murmurs. "Varro seized on Fabius' inaction and whipped them into a frenzy to gain power in the election. What more is there to it?"

"The fact that he could Rufus!" You enthuse. "The legions are the strength of Rome, the best-trained fighting force in all the world. But even the greatest soldier cannot win a battle if he walks into it expecting to lose!"

A quick swig of wine soothes your parched throat before you continue quickly.

"The Fabian strategy was not simply to deny Hannibal battle, and thus victory, but also to rebuild the morale and confidence of all of Rome," you begin excitedly. "You must remember Rufus, Rome had received one blow after another and like a gladiator who had taken strike after strike to the head, it was dazed and confused. The soldiers in the legions and the people of Rome had come to expect defeat!"

Immediately Rufus understood, though he didn't quite look convinced.

"That is not…. Unreasonable," he admits.

"Defeat, defeat, defeat… and then suddenly 'this territory has been recovered', 'such and such a town has been retaken' and on and on. That each place had only just been subjugated by Hannibal a month or so before was not reported. That Fabius was, in essence, following Hannibal around Italia and liberating what he had just conquered once he moved on was not reported. For a year all the people of Rome knew was that they had an army in the field that Hannibal had not destroyed and that while Dictator was avoiding battle – cravenly in their view – he had made one small gain after another."

"Fabius," you conclude with a flourish, "undertook the difficult and yet absolutely necessary task of rebuilding the confidence and self-belief of Rome. And even though in doing so he made Rome confident enough to elect Varro, and his foolishness at Cannae almost ended Rome itself, if he had not done this then Hannibal may very well have triumphed."

Silence reigns in your room with both of you content to be alone – together – with your thoughts.

This was something you had begun to grasp in Samnium, that a strategy in war might require a political victory to enable a military victory. But you hadn't considered that the political component might be aimed at your own people, or even your own legion. That you might have to convince them the victory you sought was even possible before you could pursue it!

It was almost anathema to you as a Roman, that victory might not be possible.

Victory was not just a possibility in all situations, it was expected! Even here, in a foreign land with your people at home divided, and under a commander who might prefer you be dead due to your connections you had no doubt Rome would emerge victorious in this conflict.

Rome was victorious. Always.

Fabius might not have saved Rome by destroying its enemy. But he was the reason that Rome was in a position to be saved in the manner most people would view 'saving'.

"Atellus, forever doing your duty."

You quirk an eyebrow at Rufus in question.

"To guide and educate your fellow Tribune of course!"

Letting out a bark of laughter you slump back in your chair and smile, basking in the simple joy of a having convinced another through the power of your argument. Even here, where you were not challenged, it is a pleasant feeling.

War you are beginning to see, requires a broader gaze than you imagined. And greater wisdom than knowing what to do when battle is joined.

Well you've always been the thoughtful sort.

Wisdom in war it is.

Word Count ~2148

I was doing some reading on the Second Punic War at the time and it inspired this I wrote this (and a second omake I'll post in a minute). I didn't want to necro the thread since it had been inactive for so long so I PMd it to Telamon in the hopes it might inspire an update... no such luck, unfortunately. But I'm happy to post it now and I hope at least a few of you enjoy it.

Omake: The Nature of the Legions
The Nature of the Legions, the Forging of a Soldier

The Nature of the Legions said:
An entry from the Journal of Quintus Cingulatus Atellus

February 4th, 84 BC

There are many who think that Rome is strong because it has the legions. In fact it is the opposite, Rome has the legions because it is strong, for legions are themselves merely the essence of Rome made manifest.

Our organisation and discipline, our ingenuity in engineering, our unflinching will and unbreakable confidence. It is all these things, not merely the men within them, that the Legions are formed of. The legions take all that Rome is and condense it into its most potent form and express it on the field of battle, and that alone is perhaps the most Roman thing of all.

But for all these things, it is my view that the greatest strength of the legions is their ability to create soldiers. Not a soldier as a Gaulish tribesman would define it or even a Greek mercenary. A True Soldier, a Roman Soldier.

Before my term as Tribunus Laticlavus and military service began I sometimes thought I was a soldier already, I simply did not have the title. Certainly, my skill at arms would need to increase over my career and my knowledge of tactics and strategy had much room to improve, but they were skills I had already.

Was there really such a difference between one who was trained to be a soldier but was not yet one, and a soldier?

My father had taught me well, but I now see clearly that some things cannot be taught. They can only be experienced to be understood, for I did not yet understand what it was to be a soldier.

There are times I look around me and I simply marvel at the legions and their ability to remake the men within them until it is impossible to look upon them and not think 'this man is a Legionnaire; this man is a soldier of Rome'.

I feel it is a phenomenon worthy of contemplation and study; how the disciplined training, the regimented life, and the pressure from your peers to conform changes you without your notice.

I have begun to carry myself differently and even speak in a new manner, I find that even my personal interests and hobbies are shifting slightly. And men who before I cannot think I would have had any interest in I now call 'brother', and there are others still whom I admire greatly.

At first I thought it a natural continuation of my growth as a man, the boy I was at 10 is very different from the one I was at 14 after all. But I see these same traits in the men around me, with some it is even clear which of them has imparted which change on me.

Mercator, Carcellus and of course Sertorius, I can see some of each of them in myself now. In my bearing, in my tone, in the manner of my command, even in the taste of my jokes.

The legion has changed me, until now without my notice, and I find myself better for it.

To be a soldier is to know the brotherhood of Century, a Cohort, a Legion. It is to look at the man beside you and call him kin, whoever he may be and wherever he may be from.

To be a soldier is to know the sword and the shield, to wake in the morning knowing you will march to battle and have the surety that victory awaits you.

It is knowing that the bloody-handed, red glare of Mars is upon you and welcoming it.

This, and more, is what it is to be a soldier in service of Rome.

This is what it is to be a soldier of Rome.

All these things are what I have come to understand.

But I wonder now, how great is the change in me still to come?
Word Count ~663

A short one this time. Written because the Legions, and how they changed the men who served in them, are an utterly fascinating topic.

...And because I want the Soldier Trait Atellus' father has. :whistle:

I would like to give the fair share of money to the Equites. I wouldn't want to deal with them being cranky and annoying.

Damn Marius and his poor public speaking skills... sacking Philadelphia was supposed to let us placate the legion with some easy loot. Now the old Equites vs. Plebs conflict is back in full force...

I really don't see how we can reward the horsemen here. After that speech our legionaries are expecting a sizeable reward. The fallout might not be so bad if we fail while trying to please everyone or if we choose to distribute rewards based on seniority instead of class. However, favouring the Equites - after they contributed next to nothing to the last battle - will have serious consequences.

Personally I'm in favor of going with officers. Narratively, they must have done something right if a legion led by two barely adult men is this successful.

When it comes to our other actions, I feel that coordinating with Cassianus should be locked in. At the beginning of the last battle we had a very important roll in that regard and I don't wanna know what happens if we fail that one. After that I see two paths open to us:
Safe: Bolster Morale/Train Combat/Engage Equities/Talk to Marius (the description seema much more inviting this time around)
Risky: Try to find out cruical information for the upcoming battle by spending 1-2 actions on scouting

Last edited:
Damn Marius and his poor public speaking skills... sacking Philadelphia was supposed to let us placate the legion with some easy loot. Now the old Equites vs. Plebs is back in full force...

I really can't see how we can reward the horsemen here. After that speech our legionaries are expecting a sizeable reward. The fallout might not be so bad if we fail while trying to please everyone or if we choose to distribute rewards based on seniority instead of class. However, favouring the Equites - after they contributed next to nothing to the last battle - will have serious consequences.

Personally I'm in favor of going with officers. Narratively, the must have done something right if a legion led by two barely adult men is this successful.

When it comes to our other actions, I feel that coordinating with Cassianus should be locked in. At the beginning of the last battle we had a very important roll in that regard and I don't wanna know what happens if we fail that one. After that here are two paths open to us:
Safe: Bolster Morale/Train Combat/Engage Equities/Talk to Marius (the description seema much more inviting this time around)
Risky: Try to find out cruical information for the upcoming battle by spending 1-2 actions on scouting
In the language it says that the infantry are expecting more loot and it will sour them against Them. So I think we will take a small hit but one we can recover from.

The money is a very delicate, and dangerous, situation. Marius' speech has actively got the infantry expecting money and with men like these quite a few of them will have already spent half their coin. After all Marius said they were getting it, so that means they're getting it.

Although it would be nice to give it to the Equites to mollify them and let them feel a little more secure the fact that they barely took part in the previous battle it's politically all but unjustifiable.

The officers is definitely an option since they're not split by a class divide and it's not that odd for the officers to be more richly rewarded. We'd probably take a hit, but not as bad as giving the Equites the larger share. Likewise, we could try and split it equally but that's a risk since it's us trying to use our "skill with coin" which... we don't really have. We've got a 4 in Stewardship and a 5 in Administration... There's incredible potential there for us to fuck things up.

Anyway, to present a couple of plans before the moratorium is up.

[] Plan Romans, One and All
-[] Reward the Legion: You try to reward everyone equally, but there is not an equal amount to go around. Some will get more and some will get less, it is the way of things. You will try to use your skill for coin to apportion things as fairly as possible, and if that fails, perhaps your charisma will be enough to paper over the cracks.
-[] Run Drills: Over the next few days, you gather with Cassianus in the dim pre-dawn outside the city to run your troops through your paces. It would do well for you and him to be better prepared to work together, and for your troops to be well-oiled come the fight.
-[] Requisition Rations: It might cost some silver out of your own pocket, but you pay to have enough food gathered out of the city to treat your men to a better breakfast than to which they are generally used. They might die soon, after all.
-[] Rest: You have been marching for days, and the life of a tribune is busy and hectic. It dawns upon you that you have not had a proper night's sleep in quite a while. Perhaps you should get one for a few days.

A plan focused on once again lessening the tensions inflamed by Marius and ensuring our legion is united behind ours (and Cassianus') command. There are some fairly obvious synergies between actions here and in the past - we always tried to be fair and emphasized that the legion is one, not split along the class lines, so doing so again wouldn't be unexpected. Running drills will also increase the unity of our soldiers while buying them rations should show that Atellus is willing to put his money where his mouth is, which should help to emphasize his sincerity and fairness, even if he fails his Stewardship roll. As I said earlier, resting before the big battle that can last hours seems very necessary.

[] Plan Well-Oiled Machine
-[] Reward the Officers: The camp officers, the prefects, even the other Tribunes -- these men have served finely and with distinction these last months, from Samnium to Sardis, and deserve reward. The officers range from plebian to patrician, so there is no class divide here, merely one of rank. There are, you are well aware, men with decades of seniority in the legions who, unlike the centurions Pompolussa and Carcellus, do not appreciate being placed under boys years their younger. Some coin might soften their harsh feelings on the matter, you imagine.
-[] Run Drills: Over the next few days, you gather with Cassianus in the dim pre-dawn outside the city to run your troops through your paces. It would do well for you and him to be better prepared to work together, and for your troops to be well-oiled come the fight.
-[] Assemble The Officers: Your legion's lifeblood is it's centurions, it's prefects and it's soldiers. Making sure they work well together and can improvise in the heat of battle is important. You will do something unorthodox and spend several hours a day drilling the officers alone.
-[] Rest: You have been marching for days, and the life of a tribune is busy and hectic. It dawns upon you that you have not had a proper night's sleep in quite a while. Perhaps you should get one for a few days.

A plan focused on the officers of the legion. Again, obvious synergies - we first reward the officers and then make it obvious why we rewarded them when we take several hours out of their day to run special drills. Giving the men a reason for why the officers were rewarded should lessen any scorn they feel about being passed on. Also, making sure our officers like us and can work together well is very important both for the battle and for the aftermath. Marius was not wrong when he was said that the sword is the greater gift of gods, and we should make sure we handle the sword that is the legion well. Resting is no less important in this plan - perhaps more, considering we're taking two drill actions.

Last edited:
[ ] Plan Well-Oiled Machine
-[ ] Reward the Officers: The camp officers, the prefects, even the other Tribunes -- these men have served finely and with distinction these last months, from Samnium to Sardis, and deserve reward. The officers range from plebian to patrician, so there is no class divide here, merely one of rank. There are, you are well aware, men with decades of seniority in the legions who, unlike the centurions Pompolussa and Carcellus, do not appreciate being placed under boys years their younger. Some coin might soften their harsh feelings on the matter, you imagine.
-[ ] Run Drills: Over the next few days, you gather with Cassianus in the dim pre-dawn outside the city to run your troops through your paces. It would do well for you and him to be better prepared to work together, and for your troops to be well-oiled come the fight.
-[ ] Assemble The Officers: Your legion's lifeblood is it's centurions, it's prefects and it's soldiers. Making sure they work well together and can improvise in the heat of battle is important. You will do something unorthodox and spend several hours a day drilling the officers alone.
-[ ] Rest: You have been marching for days, and the life of a tribune is busy and hectic. It dawns upon you that you have not had a proper night's sleep in quite a while. Perhaps you should get one for a few days.

Yeah, this sounds good to me.

Last edited:
[X] Plan Well-Oiled Machine
-[X] Reward the Officers: The camp officers, the prefects, even the other Tribunes -- these men have served finely and with distinction these last months, from Samnium to Sardis, and deserve reward. The officers range from plebian to patrician, so there is no class divide here, merely one of rank. There are, you are well aware, men with decades of seniority in the legions who, unlike the centurions Pompolussa and Carcellus, do not appreciate being placed under boys years their younger. Some coin might soften their harsh feelings on the matter, you imagine.
-[X] Run Drills: Over the next few days, you gather with Cassianus in the dim pre-dawn outside the city to run your troops through your paces. It would do well for you and him to be better prepared to work together, and for your troops to be well-oiled come the fight.
-[X] Assemble The Officers: Your legion's lifeblood is it's centurions, it's prefects and it's soldiers. Making sure they work well together and can improvise in the heat of battle is important. You will do something unorthodox and spend several hours a day drilling the officers alone.
-[X] Rest: You have been marching for days, and the life of a tribune is busy and hectic. It dawns upon you that you have not had a proper night's sleep in quite a while. Perhaps you should get one for a few days.

Yeah, this sounds good to me.
I'm glad you like my plan, but the moratorium is still up.

I'm really glad it's back, even as the count of quests under your belt grows, @Telamon :p

Not sure if it isn't too late for me today to get a reaction post out or even consider discussing the vote, but I noticed a typo:
and Phyrgia to kill and be killed for coin
Should be Phrygia.

I really hope we'll soon get the chance to continue writing a journal.

I like it, but I feel like one action should be done to with the cult. Make it both a tradition, and more importantly unite everyone as all being brothers under Mars.
We called the Cult together and had an Augury performed the turn before this. Having another one while the buff from that is still going seems pretty wasteful when we have such limited actions. Especially since we could easily end up losing the buff and getting a malus...

I like it, but I feel like one action should be done to with the cult. Make it both a tradition, and more importantly unite everyone as all being brothers under Mars.
We already had a uniting action done through cult before, so I feel we should take a different approach this time. Plus, we risk losing our augury bonus, since we don't have good augurs present.

...So, apparently, this is now happening.

Thought this Quest was dead. I'm glad it isn't.

Now then...let us march, my Friends, for the Glory of the Eternal City and her People! ROMA INVICTA!!!

Back