There is a problem for all that plans that have us wait and hold off on getting the prophecy interpreted. Specifically the bolded parts.

Wait: There are more important things at hand. You can deal with the prophecy later, or hope that Rufus does. (Gain an extra action for Para Bellum)
Rufus may take matters into his own hands. He seemed to be as shaken up as we were by the prophecy so I wouldn't put it past him to try to figure it out or have someone else figure it out for him. He likely has the same options available to him as we do this turn to get it interpreted. Waiting doesn't just put it off for a turn so that we can get other stuff done, it does so with a potential consequence being the interpretation of the prophecy gets taken out of our hands.

Edit: I've seen a lot of discussion about the benefits of waiting. But I haven't really seen many people talk or acknowledge that waiting on the prophecy has some serious drawbacks besides having to wait an additional turn to deal with it.

Last edited:
Rufus may take matters into his own hands. He seemed to be as shaken up as we were by the prophecy so I wouldn't put it past him to try to figure it out or have someone else figure it out for him. He likely has the same options available to him as we do this turn to get it interpreted. Waiting doesn't just put it off for a turn so that we can get other stuff done, it does so with a potential consequence being the interpretation of the prophecy gets taken out of our hands.
Yea, that's been pointed out before by a few people. For one turn though it's probably safe.

If you do want a plan that has a good chance of getting a true/close to true interpretation of the prophecy, without massively insulting Scaevola, and has a high chance of getting positive modifiers my plan ([] Plan Brotherhood, Forged Anew) has us go to the Priests of Apollo. It takes an extra turn to get an answer, but they have the benefit of not being 15 years old like Caesar and so have a much better chance of a proper interpretation.

On the status of Atellus' plot armour from the discord:
Telamon said:
Atellus certainly believes the Gods shelter him and everything he does, and that he lives his life under the aegis of ever-triumphant Mars, sheltered from the darts and slings of woeful fate by the bloody-handed god himself

From Discord regarding the current situation of the Mithridatic War due to the rather significant deviations from the original timeline.
Telamon said:
Chaeronea never happened, as the siege of Athens dragged on longer due to rolls than in OTL

Telamon said:
Sulla did best Archaelaus at the ahistorical battle of Mount Helicon, but he lost far less than OTL and fell back to Thrace to lick his wounds for the winter

Telamon said:
He can't get the reinforcements he got in OTL because Mithridates needs everything he has to secure Asia Minor against Marius

Telamon said:
So Mithridates' position is both better and worse than OTL

Just to spread a little more light on the current situation, in 86 BCE Sulla wiped the floor with Archelaus, Mithridates best general, at the Battle of Chaeronea. The force commanded at that battle was modestly estimated to number just shy of 80,000 men. Mithridates then raised another host of 80,000 men to reinforce Archelaus in Greece which historically Sulla also wiped the floor with at the Battle of Orchemenos.

Unfortunately for us, this is very, very much not the case right now. Chaeronea never happened and the battle that did take it's place went significantly better for Archelaus, with him managing to keep most of his army intact and is currently wintering in Thrace. Mithridates, instead of reinforcing him with another army of 80,000, used that force to bloody Marius.

And yes, this means Marius is technically trapped between two armies that outnumber him just around the order of 5 to 1. Luckily one of those armies in on the other side of the Bosporus. Everything is perfectly fine.

Edit: Here's a rough map of what the overall strategic situation looks like according to the knowledge that Atellus has at the moment. Archelaus and Mithridates' positions are only vague general ideas, and they could be anywhere within the two areas their spots are placed. Yellow = Kingdom of Armenia (Ally of Mithridates), Dark Purple = Kingdom of Pontus (Mithridates), Light Purple = Disputed by Mithridates, Red = Roman Republic (did I really need to say that?). All troop numbers are rough estimates, especially for non-Roman armies.

Last edited:
Just to spread a little more light on the current situation, in 86 BCE Sulla wiped the floor with Archelaus, Mithridates best general, at the Battle of Chaeronea. The force Archelaus commanded at that battle was modestly estimated to number just shy of 80,000 men. Mithridates then raised another host of 80,000 men to reinforce Archelaus in Greece which historically Sulla also wiped the floor with at the Battle of Orchemenos.

Unfortunately for us, this is very, very much not the case right now. Chaeronea never happened and the battle that did take it's place went significantly better for Archelaus, with him managing to keep most of his army intact and is currently wintering in Thrace. Mithridates, instead of reinforcing him with another army of 80,000, used that force to bloody Marius.

And yes, this means Marius is technically trapped between two armies that outnumber him just around the order of 5 to 1. Luckily one of those armies in on the other side of the Bosporus. Everything is perfectly fine.
It is, as I said in Discord, a decidedly sub-optimal situation....

This is actually pretty great! Fighting them head on would be suicide of course, but with 80,000 men supply lines are key, we can raid them and be fat on what we take while they starve, etc. Then while they focus on the supply lines we take bites out of their men, harry them at odd hours so they cannot properly sleep, frighten them with spooky stuff, etc. Like this even an ant can eat a lion. (don't remember where I stole this line from)

Alternatively, IDK, lead them into a box canyon and collapse it closed behind them?

Or Marius dies I guess IDK. At the very least he should be super down for getting some mercenaries.

[X] Plan Dark Lord of the Sixth
[X] Plan Prepare For War
[X] Plan Yee
[X] Plan Mending the Rift
[X] Plan Mars Vult
[X] Plan Brotherhood, Forged Anew

[X] Plan Dark Lord of the Sixth
[X] Plan Prepare For War
[X] Plan Yee
[X] Plan Mending the Rift
[X] Plan Mars Vult
[X] Plan Brotherhood, Forged Anew

Omake: Prophecies Are Helpful
Prophecies Are Helpful​

"Okay, so I think we've narrowed it down as much as possible." You say, pacing your room slowly. Rufus sits with a wad of papers on a small stool, watching you decidedly nonplussed.

"You think?" he replies sarcastically. "So far 'Africa's heir' could be referring to Marius or Sulla, who both earned their names in Africa."

"And given the nature of prophecies," you interject. "it would not be impossible for the prophecy to refer to both at once, just to mess with us and be right whichever way the die falls."

"Precisely, it could also refer to literally any descendant of Scipio Africanus, the most relevant being Asiaticus…"

"I would struggle to call him relevant after the public execution Marius delivered."

"…and Cassianus."

"I find it unlikely to be him. He's adopted, and we seem to have hit it off recently. Still…" you trail off.

"We cannot rule out any possibility." says Rufus, finishing the sentence that had been oft repeated during the process of deciphering the Crone's prophecy. He locks eyes with you as he continues down the list and deadpans. "Then there is myself, of course."

"Even less likely than Cassianus in my opinion, but you did conquer Africa's culture by virtue of studying it, meaning you could pass on their legacy by teaching others. If that's not an heir, what is?" you question, defending the passing idea that needed to be added to the list. You could not rule out any possibility.

"Ptolemy."

"A generous reading of a map would place Egypt in Africa, and he is certainly the most heir-like we've encountered." Rufus nods his agreement.

"Lastly, and most specifically, we have literally anybody born in Africa." The last part of the sentence contains all of Rufus' frustration.

"Prophecy often hinges on the little things. We cannot only consider the great men of our era, but the insignificant ones who, by virtue of doing whatever they do in the prophecy, become great men."

"Well, that settles it. I think I know what the prophecy means."

"Really?" Excitement creeps into your query. Leave it to Rufus to deduce something first. That brain of his always was his strongest attribute.

"Yes, I've deduced that this entire thing is a waste of time." Rants Rufus. "It's so vague as to be worthless! We can't even figure out the one person who isn't us referred to directly by an epithet."

"A thought occurs." You pause in dread. "The prophecy does not say 'beware of Africa's heir', merely 'beware Africa's heir'. It may not be a message for us to beware of Africa's heir, but a more general warning that Africa's heir should beware."

"Oh, simply wonderful! We have no clue who this thrice damned prophecy refers to, and now we don't even know what it means in respect to the person we can't identify! I feel like we've made negative progress!"

Rufus airing his grievances is cut short by a knock on the door. Your friend resigns to fuming silently as you open it for the courier, who hands you several packets of documents.

"Rufus, I suspected we two men, unversed in verse, might turn up nothing. To that end, I sent several letters when we first heard the prophecy, consulting the those who might know more of how the future is read."

Understanding dawns on Rufus' face. "You've written to Scaevola! Wonderful! If anyone can decipher this nonsense, it'll be the Pontifex Maximus."

You flick the letter open and dramatically clear your throat. "It pleases me to know that my pupils has done so well for himself…" you trail off, skimming the letter for the reference to the prophecy. You'll read the rest later. "Ah, here we go. The first verse refers to you, my pupils. Until you have earned a new name, you must be wary of Africa's heir, an obvious reference to Marius, who earned his name in the land. However, given the context of the prophecy at large, it is apparent that Marius is not only a threat to you, but to the Republic of Rome itself."

"Does he mention that he wouldn't need a prophecy to tell us that much?" asks Rufus, enjoying his patron's words, even conveyed in written form.

"He does, of course." You laugh. Clearing your throat, you continue. "The she referred to in the rest of the prophecy is primarily Rome, specifically the institutions of the Republic. The second verse addresses the corruption and inefficiency that has been present since the fall of Carthage, brought to the forefront by Marius and his ilk. It further predicts the eventual fall of Rome one thousand and thirty years after it's founding, or three hundred and sixty years from this one."

"A hard date." Says Rufus, awed by how easily Scaevola has made sense of the rhyming stanzas that have perplexed the two of you on and off for months.

"However, this refers not to Rome itself, but the institutions of the Republic and democracy itself. Rome itself will continue on as a shell of its former self, more successful than ever on the outside, but hollow of the ideals and traditions that define it. While the prophecy places the fall of the Republic lifetimes from now, the events are set in motion in today's age. Marius must be stopped if the Republic is to survive. Rome needs Sulla."

"What of the last two verses?" asks Rufus. "We never got past the first, but those ones always seemed the most confusing."

"The last two verses are repetitious. This Crone would make a poor orator." The two of you chuckle at the joke injecting some levity to the dire predictions in the rest of the letter. "It purports that Rome appealed to the an unnamed goddess, likely Cybele given the source of this prophecy, for aid in defeating Carthage. Apparently, the cost for this aid was never paid by Rome, and the fall of the Republic may be averted should we balance the books of this ancient debt. I will inquire as to any offering to Cybele during that time frame, though I suspect the records lost by now."

You drop out of the (absolutely dreadful) Scaevola impression you hadn't recognized that you'd slipped into as you conclude. "He goes on to wish us the best of luck in our endeavors, go Sulla, screw Marius and the like."

Rufus pauses at that last part. "Atellus, it occurs to me that while Scaevola is the most religious man in all of Rome, he is still a man. Is it not possible that his biases cloud his interpretation of the prophecy?"

You smile at Rufus' concern and hold up the second letter. "Unlike you, my dear Rufus, I anticipated such an event when I first sent the letter. Which is why I sent a copy of the prophecy not only to our patron, but to that young priest of Jupiter."

"The one from the Triumph?"

"Exactly. As it turns out, he's Marius' nephew or some such. Regardless of the exact relation, he's decidedly pro-Marius, and we can count on his interpretation to lean in support of Marius. If we put his and Scaevola's together, we should find the truth where they agree and somewhere in the middle of where they differ."

"Should I write to Cicero and tell him to be jealous?" jabs Rufus.

"Hysterical." You deadpan. "Now onto the letter. Dear Atellus, you and I are destined for greatness. Why don't you return to Rome. My sister is attractive and dtf right now."

"Well that sounds like a brilliant idea!" says Rufus as your face contorts in confusion. "Wouldn't you agree, Atellus? Atellus? Atellus?"

XXX

"Atellus? For gods' sake man, wake up!" You groan awake to the sound of Rufus.

"Wha happun?" It's hardly intelligible as human speech, but Rufus gets the drift.

"What happened is you and Cassianus drunk yourselves into a stupor last night. I should write Cicero and tell him to be jealous the way you two have been getting along." You chuckle at real Rufus echoing what you are slowly realizing to have been drunken dream Rufus. The act of laughing drives a spear through your skull.

"Ow."

"Honestly, this is pathetic." chides Rufus. "You're obviously in no condition to do anything today, and I suspect Cassianus is no better. I'll keep the legion from falling apart for today. I'll say you two are… devising strategies or some such and don't wish to be disturbed. But you owe me for this."

Your eyelids flutter shut again, but you manage to murmur one last sentiment. "You da bes, Rufus." Then the sweet, sweet void of unconsciousness takes you.

A/N: Rufus is indeed the best. I totally didn't retcon this into a dream sequence because I have no idea what Caesar would write. No sir, not at all.
Bonus:
TL;DR lol Go Team Sulla! Fight fight fight! Fuck Marius btw

There is a problem for all that plans that have us wait and hold off on getting the prophecy interpreted. Specifically the bolded parts.

Edit: I've seen a lot of discussion about the benefits of waiting. But I haven't really seen many people talk or acknowledge that waiting on the prophecy has some serious drawbacks besides having to wait an additional turn to deal with it.
I'll note that there's nothing saying we can't get another interpretation after Rufus gets his. It might dilute whatever mechanical effects the prophecy gives, on the account of Atellus getting two interpretations without knowing on which to act, but the idea of getting two interpretations doesn't seem non-viable.

though I'm not sure what to make of 'reviled of her mother.'
What I do wonder though: Who is the mother? The Etruscans?
Right, it's not very important, as the general idea "that means Rome" doesn't change, but now that I went through "Lays of Ancient Rome", so often quoted by Telamon in this quest, an obvious answer comes to mind - the mother here is the city of Alba Longa, the mother city of Romulus and Remus that Rome later completely destroyed. There was a prophecy there, "The children to the Tiber, The mother to the tomb.", which nicely speaks of both the actual mother of Romulus and Remus and the Alba Longa herself.

Last edited:
Did we not speak to and mess with the Pentri while Sertorius handled the Hirpini? Or are Pentri some subset of Hirpini?
While we are rooting out inconsistencies:
Born Opiter Cassius, a novus homo, he apparently so impressed the childless consul with his skill and dedication that the orator decided to bestow upon him his own name.
He made fast allies with Asiaticus' followers and family, and became so valuable to Asiaticus that the old man, despite having sons of his own, adopted him. Now legally known as Lucius Cornelius Scipio Cassianus, the man once known as Opiter has quickly outshone the Consul's natural sons, becoming his legal heir and primary advisor in all things.
Unless Asiaticus is surprisingly fertile and fathered children between updates despite having been castrated, the snake we put in our bed ( :p ) could not have outshone anyone.

Some more information from the discord, that may be pertinent.
Telamon said:
Neither of the Romans can afford to try and attack the other, as it would mean defeat for them
Telamon said:
But neither can Mithridates make the peace he made OTL where he got off mercifully light — even if he makes peace with one of the Romans, the other would continue warring with him
Telamon said:
if his situation does get bad enough, simply getting one of the armies on his back off of it to allow him to concentrate all his forces on Sulla/Marius would be relief enough, which might force him to a peace with one of the factions
Telamon said:
but that's a ways off and his strength is still theoretically great enough to defeat both Roman armies
Telamon said:
And Mithridates would rather be "the man who defeated Rome's greatest generals" than "the man who made peace with one general to let him beat another"
Telamon said:
Fimbria, leader of the non-Mithridatic half of the legion, is a fervent Marian, and definitely hates Sulla. He's just scared of what Marius will do to him for killing his commander, but not scared enough to betray Rome itself
Telamon said:
OTL, Fimbria just took over the Marian cause in Asia after killing his boss, and tag-teamed Mithridates with Sulla before eventually being killed by Sulla
But with actual Marius around, what was just once kind of a dick move is now treason that might end in death
Telamon said:
OTL Cinna/Marius the Younger didn't have the capacity or luxury to bitch about murdered legates
Marius himself though?
The information about the half Legion forces under Fimbria is pretty interesting. Given that we may be able to do something there, mayhaps try to convince them to return to the fold in order further augment our forces. But it's not without its challenges.

Last edited:
So are we siding with Marius who broke the republic over Sulla who tried to heal it after he stabbed it couple times?

Back