Well, I can safely say this is a vast improvement over the VN (gratuitous German notwithstanding). The animation is of course fantastic, but my favorite addition has to be actual pacing. 45 minutes for the prologue instead of 145 is a godsent.

Also, it had dolphins. Not sure how to feel about that.

I've never read the Fate/Stay Night visual novel so the only experience I've ever had with Shinji is when he gets mentioned in passing in crossover fanfics, but damn do I now understand why people want to punch him in the face.

Last edited:
Oh, it gets so much worse.
And we don't even get to punch him :(

Crunchyroll, if you live in the US/have a proxy.
I don't know about fansubs, and I'm probably not allowed to talk about them.

Saw the first episode. Agh, my poor video card.

Anyway, I'm really liking Rin and Archer so far. Almost makes me wish we wouldn't get any Shirou.

Now I get a good part of why everyone hates Shinji. Prose just does such a poor job of conveying what a disgusting slimeball he is.

The Archer/Lancer fight was absolutely badass. Again, though, my poor video card.

Eh... I found it a lot slower than F/Z's prologue. I liked it, but it really felt like it could have done with just being a regular episode length. F/Z needed it because it had to cram in nearly 10 different characters; here we're only really introduced to two. I was never able to finish the VN because it was so slow, and this seems to be trying to match that exactly... there's a lot of times where will Rin will narrate what she's doing unnecessarily - for a VN you can expect a bit of that but in an animated medium it's more 'in which I state the bloody obvious'.

The Lancer fight was... okay, but it felt a tad gratuitous and hard to follow visually. Is it me or does the animation feel slightly... off to anyone else? Mostly in the faces. Compared to Fate/Zero and KnK, I mean. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Hopefully the pacing will improve once the show's started proper. It really killed this one.

Sorry for double post but I just realized what this hype train is missing. We need to get a Type Moon newbie to do a In Which I Watch Fate/Stay Night. That means they can't have watched Fate/Zero or know anything. A blind watchthrough.

My dad expressed some interested in watching this with me. I doubt I could get him to write anything though.

Back