So again, what are we doing here? Do we have Linneas hold them back while we fuse Arcanist with Icarelian(probably best fusion given similarities between Mana and our evil energy)? Do we try diplomacy, explaining away this as a Fixation issue and something we can fix with some time and using Hammer to fuse Japhris' Mask with Arcanist? Or do we pick up the pieces and bail to forest, where we build up Japhris and then go from there? Or just bail?

These are the most relevant strategies. Which out of four would you prefer, and what steps can we take to enable it?

I'm really surprised Orbital Command immediately interpreted this as a hostile move and went to high alert so quickly. For all they know, Dorian destroyed the mask because it would have turned Japhris into an insane time bomb capable of turning the entire world against them - which is kind of true - and can easily produce an alternative with the Hammer. The worst case scenario for them would be if Dorian & Co fuck off to the Street without providing any more value, so why the antagonistic escalation?

It's most likely there's one guy in charge who made that call, likely not a strategic-level commanding officer since generals and such are too busy with administrative work to make many on the ground decisions even for valuable (but non-volatile) assets like Dorian.

Plot-wise, it seems the narrative winds are set against us getting even more massive amounts of value out of this world, as Dwindling spam can easily allow us to hit high Potential levels on arbitrary masks which is very difficult to plan around. I suppose we should make one more diplomatic overture before cutting our losses, however. Dorian can always reforge the mask into something that allows him or Musurov to use Arcanism instead, now that we have the Hammer - which means continued land restoration for them, if at a significantly diminished pace.

[X] Try Diplomacy
[X] Use the Outlined Arguments, to the extent that Dorian finds them reasonable

The Outlined Arguments
*Explain Fixation, somewhat exaggerate the downsides if you think you can get away with it. Japhris Fixated far faster than we projected, possibly due to the volume of overwork on her shoulders. Final Fixation would have seen her become an amoral magic-casting machine with little to no consideration for human values and potentially continent-spanning power: a terrible combination.
*We can probably reforge the Mask with the Hammer into a new configuration that allows us or Andrei to use Arcanism (at a lower rate than Japhris), but Orbital Command needs to stand down and de-escalate immediately so we can talk. We won't be taken into custody or the like; we'll simply fuck off to the Street, in which case all parties lose.
*Accept any reasonable compromise as long as Dorian feels we're actually getting relevant value commensurate to our labor. Artifacts on the level of the Hammer and Rolling Stone are worth a few weeks' dedicated toil, but crappy Artifacts (or power-but-irrelevant ones) will see us negotiate a peaceable exit. At the very least there doesn't need to be future loss of life here; both sides are heavily resource-constrained and spending them against each other, counterproductive.
*Regardless, we're keeping the Hammer, paid for as it was by our labor and Japhris' sanity. Orbital Command has gotten plenty of benefits from our aid so far and Dorian's the only person that can make Masks to help them further.
*Use Viscerality, the Cloak and any relevant Masks to aid in your arguments

Our situation is precarious, we should keep that in mind. Consider Musurov already defeated and out of picture until proven otherwise; without him and Arcanist our combat power is perilously low, so if Orbital Command decides to push the issue we don't really have much to fight with, just retreat to Street. As such I would caution even Diplomacy plan to have ready exit strategy in case OC is executing their order 66.

At Dorian's current level of Street Attunement, he has to return to his original spawn point to access the street. There may be a more binding constraint on his companions, if they can enter the street without Dorian.

Man, I still dislike diplomacy. Too much unknown. It should work, and potential upside is great, but if it doesn't work it will suck a lot, and it working is predicated upon OCs disposition towards us, which is a complete unknown.

But I think it is much better yolo option than trying to break Musurov, at least.

[X] Try Diplomacy

Might as well. Argumentation is somewhat reliant on people being reasonable, which often aren't in Quest-adjacent Conflict! Drama! environment, but. le shrug

I wonder how effective a re-make of the original talisman hammered with mask pieces would be. That should at least avoid the fixation problem

The Talisman was a Mana Storage device, if memory serves; I'm not sure it would've actually helped with what Japhris was doing. Her Elven Blood is what lets her use herself as a reference point in stagnant locations, and all the Mana being worked with is part of the environment. Unless the path is dwindle forest -> go somewhere else -> burgeon that; but that's easily solveable anyway, by making generic mana-storage masks for helpers to wear while following Japhris around.

Taure - A Somber Discovery New
[X] Try Diplomacy

---

A Somber Discovery

Dorian's Contamination simmered inside of him and came out of a hand to strike the door.

It wavered and shifted between thousands of forms in an instant, the force of pure unadulterated change transforming it from door to window, and from a window to a vast cavernous opening, a chaotic rupture in the metal wall. He closed shut the cauldron of distortion inside, allowing it to restore its contents as he stepped forward, Linneas a couple of footsteps after him, an unconscious Japhris set down in a chair in the room behind them.

The corridor outside was completely unpowered. Lights disabled, shutters pulled down over the windows, as if expecting heavy-duty combat. A dim crimson light blinked across the corridor from the area power controller on the far wall, briefly outlining who stood over there.

His Icarelian's mask glowed, casting forward a faint cone of light to illuminate the figures.

Lieutenant Carrasco was ahead of him, a saber in one hand. Her red hair was undone, the efficient ponytail replaced with a waterfall of crimson. Her normally firm and unsatisfied face was stretched into a smile, full of mirth. She'd divested herself of the armor, save a ceramic breastplate as white and seamless as an egg. The monstrosity within her eye was active, writhing, and Dorian could now observe its effects on her biology: her iris was stained yellow, flecks of gold across its original pure light blue.

Behind her stood a team of unarmed soldiers. Half-armored, gauntlets missing, showing arms thickly covered in sigils of carved red. No one had a rifle or even a sidearm, but Dorian noticed knives on various straps and in sheaths. He examined each soldier carefully and noted abnormalities within their physiology, marks of difference from a standard human baseline. They stood too far to make out the details, and Dorian's confusion and concern made it too difficult to muster the curiosity to request more data.

The Lieutenant continued to smile at him glibly. "Your Majesty."

"Lieutenant," he greeted back lukewarmly, disturbed by the casual and happy demeanor. "You authorized all of this?"

"Yes," she concurred. "Your craftsmanship has my compliments." A mystifying statement; one he chose not to linger on.

"Fortunately, I've dealt with the issue at hand. There is no need for an intervention, I am not intent on fighting or going back on our deal. I'll craft a new mask as well, and we'll resume standard Burgeoning activities on short notice. I am sorry to have disturbed your rest, Lieutenant."

She allowed him to finish the statement before replying with a smirk, "It won't be needed."

"Explain," he demanded of the Lieutenant, a hand moving to his saber's sheath.

She chuckled shortly. "I'd like a way off this overly lively rock, and you're my ticket." She wore a glad expression, voice soft and relieved, as if sincerely thankful. Like Dorian was a savior destined to lead her on an exodus from slavery and towards freedom.

He asked the earbuds. 'Veronica. Her soldiers are dear to her. But nothing's dearer than duty.'

She continued on, entirely unprompted, "What fortune, to see a Streetwalker in my short lifetime. I must've earned a blessing from the above with my actions." A laugh bubbled out of her, uncharacteristically girlish. "I was confused to start with. I never believed your story - it smelled too much like a well-improvised fib. Still, the Street? I never imagined that. I simply believed you were some maniac who'd collected relics and lucked out. Turns out I was entirely off the mark. You have my apologies."

His eyes narrowed. "You make it sound as if you knew about the Street before I came here."

"Of course I did," she chirped, as the creature inside her eye writhed. She winked with the yellowed eye. "My friend told me about it long ago. I'm surprised you never asked. But I suppose that simply shows your discretion and wisdom, doesn't it? You understand not to disturb others like yourself; that we're all bigger fish in a vast pond."

"Others like myself?" He didn't understand that sentiment at all. "What exactly is that friend of yours?"

Now she seemed confused. Even the soldiers behind her shifted, as if honestly not expecting this development.

Her voice revealed surprise. "You've never met him?"

He analyzed the eye-monster once again, more carefully, putting in a modicum of effort. Alarm fueling its activity, Viscerality was forthcoming with answers.

Almost a tapeworm, as shapes went; it coiled itself around the eyeball and extruded a cord to Veronica's brain, a yellow nerve that captured and returned information. That nerve had spread throughout her cerebral cortex, almost like roots in soil. Her eye was slightly stained, and jaundiced as a result of the chemicals it secreted, but now its sight had clarified. He noticed, with a prod, that Visceral influence on her was unusually difficult to enact, more so than with most of the beings he'd encountered. It seemed that its impulses were interfering with any he tried to send. He wasn't sure if this was the case earlier, but he didn't think so. An adaptation meant to counter him specifically?

It didn't produce any answers, though, aside from confirming that Dorian had no clue as to what this creature was.

"No."

"Oh." Quick disappointment showed in her eyes, but she recovered, lips set into a frown. "Well, it doesn't matter, although it does make explaining it harder. Yes, I do know about the Street. Ever since my friend arrived, I've learned from him about how the world truly works. I could teach you some things as well."

He considered the situation.

"I don't know if that's workable for me, quite frankly," he answered, shaking his head. "I'd like to stay here a little longer to make the best use of Orbital Command's resources and our contract. Afterward, we could discuss this arrangement ourselves in more detail."

"Oh, you don't understand, I think." She cocked a head to the side, assessing him carefully, as if to determine what to say. "You've disturbed the hornet's nest. The Forest is a domain of wilderness - an almost literal manifestation of the principle of prey and predator, how all living things grasp desperately for all the advantages they can seize - and you've dared to encroach on its territory, to become a competitor to its hegemony. The nature of the world recognizes a power struggle within itself. There'll be a reckoning. It'll be soon - very soon, I imagine - and I very much intend not to be here when it finally drops. That's why I prodded one of my men into getting Japhris to visit you."

He frowned. This whole debacle was her fault, then? The Fixation likely wasn't anyone's blame. Tonight's incident, though - she must've predicted his reaction ahead of time and used that to trigger chaos as a cover-up, a way to feed lies to her superiors, and to shield herself in case this didn't work out at all.

"I'll need more than that if I am to make an informed decision."

It happened in an instant, as if a lever were flipped.

Her cheerful demeanor disappeared without hesitation, like a mask removed after a long day of hard work, at last, to reveal the truth.

Her face was now a cold and calculating mien, as emotional as a stone wall.

"When you came here, I was under the impression we'd had a professional agreement not to disturb each other. I knew you were a Visceralist, and you knew about my friend, so I believed your lack of direct interaction meant we'd ignore one another. Like two ships passing by each other in the night, to their appointed ports. I even allowed you to keep that slip of an elf and did not induct her into my family, as a gesture of good faith." She shook her head in disappointment. "What a calamitous error that proved to be."

"And so you want to leave Taure."

"Of course. But I am not at all unreasonable, you'll find," she answered with a shake of the head, smiling lightly. "Despite my friend's avaricious need to access it, I know the Street won't accept me outright as his carrier, so I have an offer to make." He concealed a need to bristle. Her statement about the Street suggested a knowledge of its preferences and workings. Unless, of course, her statement was a bluff. However, Dorian couldn't imagine a reason for her to reduce her own chances of escape. Her intention seemed honest, at least - why else bother with this charade? It'd be insane without proper cause, which meant she was likely at least truthful about the reckoning.

"Tell me," he said.

"You'll leave now, and I'll hand you a powerful relic that can summon me and my friends here to another world. You'll trigger it on that world, and we'll have the doctor along with us. We'll hold him here until you've fulfilled your end of the bargain."

"How do I know you aren't lying?"

"About the doctor? Well, even if I am, once we're gone, he'll have no one to restrain him," she replied with a shrug. "A man as powerful as him can surely escape and return to the Street on his own. Then, if you are both in some kind of traveler's alignment, you'll most certainly cross paths again."

"Final question," he said. "Why should I work with you? You said we're the same, but I don't think that's true at all."

She offered him an innocent look. "You don't? What about your Viscerality?"

The words cut into him, even undetailed.

"I think I have a fairly accurate read on you," Veronica answered with the same smile, sidling up closer - almost a footstep away from a saber's reach. "You don't care about revolutions and freedoms, not on a societal level. That's only the mask you wear, same as I wore the mask of a lieutenant. Not that I can blame you. This world and every other world don't want revolutions either. What you want is power enough to matter, power enough to never be weak and defenseless again, so easily deprived of what you care about. What an understandable, sincere, and honest motive! How can anyone blame you for such a desire?"

As if stoking Viscerality, that final word triggered the implants inside him into overdrive - made him realize with an onrushing torrent of emotion that her soliloquy was true and meaningful, at least to some extent. His moral core shuddered at the idea of abandoning the quest for revolution, usually, but Dorian wondered if that wasn't a simple matter of going with the flow of events. His conscience was certainly quiet when negotiating with the Warlord, and not necessarily because Earth wasn't Drethir.

"I wonder: did the Street not know that I am here in Oasis, or did it put you here so we'd meet?" she asked, with what sounded like sincere curiosity. She then dismissed the idea with a shake of the head. "It doesn't matter. What matters is that I've much to offer you: relics, knowledge, and more. You failed to exploit Taure properly, Dorian. You went too fast, you didn't understand the nature of the task the Street set down in front of you. Greed does not bring rewards. But I can teach you the proper discernment. I've been stuck in this world my entire life, with the tools to exploit all the worlds that exist. I could teach you: even some fraction of what I know should put you well ahead."

Her smile broadened.

"What do you say?"

---

[ ] Fight
*Based on Visceral readings: each of her soldiers is your direct physical match, although that doesn't account for Linneas' support.
*Veronica's reading is more inconclusive: she seems mighty but in a manner that's difficult to detect. This will most likely be a tough fight.
*Assuming you believe her about Taure's impending reckoning and win the fight, you'll be able to flee doom alongside Andrei or else aid the government in stopping the apocalypse. Afterward, you can continue your contract... and you might even be able to argue from a better position.

[ ] Agree
*Assuming she's truthful about her deal, you'll acquire lots of high-quality information on how to make the most of the Street.
*Commits you to leave Dr. Musorov behind and maybe get him back later.
*You're able to tell lies of an almost supernal quality, so you can always simply agree and then summon her and her men to an ambush site and hope she didn't stiff you. Then again, she's likely expecting something like this.

Last edited:
[X] Fight

[X] Agree

Last edited:
BTW, I do not really expect that to work, but as far as avoiding tracing creepy garbage all over the street, that's prolly the best we can do.

Or we can fight. IDK, we still can contaminate a bunch or whatever.

God, i told you guys dealing with that zombie warlord was a preversion of our every moral stand, now look what happened. It continues to shatter him moral and ethically.

We are letting fucking parasites bully us with words. Imagine if we hadn't been greedy fucks before hand, then we could have just told her to fuck off and laughed in her face.

The pursuit of power has been a disaster for this quest.

God, i told you guys dealing with that zombie warlord was a preversion of our every moral stand, now look what happened. It continues to shatter him moral and ethically.

We are letting fucking parasites bully us with words. Imagine if we hadn't been greedy fucks before hand, then we could have just told her to fuck off and laughed in her face.

The pursuit of power has been a disaster for this quest.

I understand being frustrated that Veronica is accusing us of being ruthless like her if you're unhappy with that direction for Dorian's character. That being said, even in the scenario where we were a nobler Dorian, Veronica would still be ruthless, and still threatening us with force. I'm pretty sure that the lack of a [ ] Tell Her Off option is less because we lack moral fiber and more because that's actually just another way of voting Fight.

I understand being frustrated that Veronica is accusing us of being ruthless like her if you're unhappy with that direction for Dorian's character. That being said, even in the scenario where we were a nobler Dorian, Veronica would still be ruthless, and still threatening us with force. I'm pretty sure that the lack of a [ ] Tell Her Off option is less because we lack moral fiber and more because that's actually just another way of voting Fight.
Her threatening us isn't a problem, its her critique having shades of truth to them that galls me. If only we weren't hypocrites then all she ahd would be threats and those are much easier to deal with than truths that eviscerate your sense of self.

The Fixation likely wasn't anyone's blame
BROTHER. WE KNEW ABOUT THIS.

When doing "put all points in Arcanist" we specifically talked about Fixation because we know that powerful masks cause Fixation. We literally talked about monitoring Japhris to control levels of Fixation because we knew for a fact it would happen. Then not only that you fucking didn't monitor her, you put her in exact situation that would maximize her Fixation and then for some fucking REASON you didn't have basic daily meetings with rest of the team that would let you see that oh, wow, Japhris is Fixating better do something about it. What the fuck did you do with your eight hours of free time for the last seven days if you didn't see Japhris once?

Idiocy. And then he goes "gee, it just sorta happened". Yeah its like it is your damn fault. fuck

So it was Order 66 type of thing, by the parasite thing. She is talking about larger picture we are not aware of, although ultimately it doesn't matter in this situation. The name of the chapter would imply some connection with the Somber Mask(to which our dumbass character has yet to make counter Mask for, by the way). 56 free hours over last seven days and fuck and all to show for it. Baffling.

With benefit of hindsight and this insurection being limited in scope(?), I would say that my initial plan of escaping would've worked better than I'd expected. Given the situation and existence of Contamination(which our opponents should be unaware of) I am confident enough to

[X] Fight

But at the same time we are clearly being written to lose regardless of our plans or actions so we should probably just get the hint and leave the world.

[X] Fight

Feel like Fight is the option we should take here, since either outcome between success and failure would be fine. If we win, then we win, and we don't need to abandon the Doctor, someone who is very important in keeping us safe, given we are still weak after the Am Not incident.

If we fail? While not ideal, and not something the questers want, it is undeniable that the quest has been stuggling ever since Am Not happened, as we lost a lot of player in its wake, and I unfortunately still feel like this quest has no future, as Rihaku said in this post. Failure is not something we should exactly chase, but at this point it feels like accepting Streetwalker would work better as a story rather than a quest may be better for everyone involved, and a new quest with a larger playerbase and increased engagement would work better (even if said quest may be a restructuring of Ormulum that would work better as a quest than Streetalker).

I apologize for being such a downer regarding this quest, as I know a lot of people were and still are enamored with the potential of its setting and lore, but we haven't dug ourselves out of the pit we've got ourselves stuck in earlier, and at the rate things are going, we're going to be in that pit for a long while further at best.

but we haven't dug ourselves out of the pit we've got ourselves stuck in earlier
Come on, we objectively did bounce back fine. Before Dorian decided to shit the bad with Japhris we were in amazing position.

The current issue is more about schizophrenic narrative of this world. There seems to be the idea that we are being greedy when we barely did anything, and our attempts to engage with the mechanics of the world were rebuffed in frustrating ways. Even now the failure is not in our actions being that bad(we did make some not-excellent decisions, but its not like they were disastrous) but random shit happening and having negative consequences because it just does.

Like this is third time character goes "bhooo forest scaaaarryyyyy". Brother I get it, let me interact with the forest so I can see how amazing and scary it is, not have people tell me it is because, uh, it just is ok?

Back