Question for @Snowfire, I was wondering if the focus of Fighting would work for a practice user, and what awakening it would fit with.
I'm not Snowfire, but there's been plenty of discussion over the years.

You could probably make a decent argument for it, but I think you'd be better off looking for something more specific -- what motivates the fighting?

A focus of Fighting would be like pre-DBZ Goku, where you fight just because you enjoy the act of fighting in and of itself. This is almost certainly not going to be compatible with the First Awoken and it would be a bit of a stretch for the Second Awoken. I think that a mindset like Goku's is a luxury that would require growing up without much personal memory of the Week of Sorrows in a society that has banded together and has the ability to imagine peace. It's hard to think about fighting for fighting's sake when you know how important fighting really has to be.

But there are a lot of Focuses that would give the Potential a reason to fight. We have, of course, already seen Destruction as a focus, for people who are so angry that they just want to burn everything and who have managed to channel it towards their enemies. Vengeance, Justice, or Retribution could potentially work especially for the First Awoken, who have had the Week of Sorrows seared into their souls and who have dedicated their lives to striking back against those who have wronged them. Freedom could work, too; someone who dedicates their lives to overcoming oppression could certainly be a fighter. For the Second Awoken and later I could imagine Self-Improvement as a focus, where your driving passion is to be the best you can be, and you train your body and your skills in pursuit of that goal.

Last edited:
I am ok with the Goku comparison, and I have to disagree with you on the bit about fighting for fighting sake not working with other motivations, I think that it would work just fine, think a shonin protagonist like Monkey D Luffy. (Though this is just my opinion) I just would like to see more active potentials, a lot of the ones we have are pretty passive/something I don't know how to describe, we don't see a lot of the First Awakening front and center I mean. And just to be clear this is all just my opinion and I love this story as it is.

Tempests
Your surname had been a joke by your parents, grown into a statement of defiance in the years since you'd come fully into your power. You'd returned cities and more from long mourned ashes, and torn back a life from a fate seemingly already written. You were a Potential, a Unisonbound, and known to much of humanity as the Proven Miracle. But beneath all of that, you were still Vega Cant.

And now, here you were. Far beyond your sun's light, or any born of it since humanity had begun the slow stumble towards civilisation, on a memorial to an action taken millions of years ago. It shouldn't have felt so important. And yet, it did.

"Rinel," you raised a hand, your Masque shifting in time with the motion. Overwhelming emotion, a need for space, that was easy to show. "This is…a great deal to absorb."

Your hand flicked towards the images and diagrams that showed an ending to all creation, denied. Part of you, you couldn't deny, wondered if Practice could have stopped it more elegantly. The rest of you never wanted to find out.

Rinel motioned in a Shiplord nod. "I understand. There are rooms next to the galleries, made to give space for contemplation. Would that suit?"

"I- yes," you nodded in return, fatigue and thankfulness sliding up through your Masque this time. Most of it was real, too. Somewhere near the galleries, but not a gallery itself, would be - better to say so. "That would be perfect."

"Some of you still have questions," your host bowed his head towards Mary and Iris, the most obvious of the two. You could feel Mir's burning interest though, his focus and Focus intent on unravelling questions that so far had no answer. But you had your own mission. "Here."

The Shiplord tilted a hand, and a guide-path popped onto your HUD, leading you out of the room. "That will guide you to where you need to go."

"I'd like to go with her," Amanda said, right on cue. Should that idle certainty in predicting your friends concern you? You weren't sure. Two heartbeats later, Elil joined the two of you. Rinel made that same small gesture again, and his Masque took the form of something that was almost a smile.

"It gives me no joy to see you struggle with the weight of our past," he said. "If you require any aid, do not hesitate to ask."

"Thank you." There was no reason not to say it and you were thankful, if not for the reason the Warden must think. But he wasn't entirely wrong, either. The truth of what had almost happened here was a lot to take in, and you couldn't do so without it altering your perception of the Shiplords. You knew Mandy was struggling with that, especially since the revelations of the Third. This was more on the pile. Fortunately, you had other things to focus on right now.

"Of course," Rinel said, before turning his attention back to those remaining. You wasted no time following the virtual guidepath. Fortunately, it wasn't far. The station appeared to have been designed, or at redesigned, with the need for quiet spaces outside of the galleries. Perhaps the other Sorrows had had them too, but they'd never been needed.

These rooms were different to what you'd seen from the Shiplords before, though. The room was one made almost entirely of gentle curves and soothing angles, merging together into a symmetry that would have made your soul stir had it not already been very much awake. A deep, peaceful silence hung in the air, and there was no sign of technological systems anywhere.

:No recorders,: Elil sent a heartbeat after you entered. :And I think it's shielded, too. They thought about what this place was for before they built it.: There was an emotion that was almost gratitude in the Insight Focused's mindtone.

:I can feel it too,: Mandy said, pitched just above a whisper. :It was made to give safety. To let others heal.: Her mental voice sharpened. :Can you follow that back?:

:I believe so,:
you replied. There was definitely something here in the room with you. Something that you could feel beneath the physical, but it wasn't just the intent that Elil and Amanda had found.

Finding Harmony: 73

You took a few steps deeper into the room, towards one of the larger seating arrangements. Mandy and Elil came with you, flanking you with their presence. You felt them, power streaming forth from their souls into the links that bound you together as Unisonbound and Heartcircle. Elil was a sharp, clear clarity within the link, cutting across the gentle tsunami of soothing energies that was Amanda.

Falling into your Focus had, over the years, become as simple as taking a step. But it was still a strange feeling, a paradoxical combination of the world sharpening and falling away all at once. It opened the world to you, and in that moment you felt the room around you again, and more than the room. Mandy and Elil weren't wrong; what they'd experienced was true. But they were only parts of the truth of this place, and in your Focus you found much more.

Something had been driven into soulspace around the entire station, woven through its physical structure in ways that you could barely follow. You could see enough, though, to recognise it. It had begun as a nexus of memory, like the one you'd found in the fallen homeworlds of the Hjivin. A singular point, deemed so important by the Shiplords that their very souls had found a way to engrave it into reality.

Yet for all that, it wasn't like the one you'd found at the Third Sorrow. Not at its beginnings and certainly not anymore. What you could see and feel had been carved into existence across millions of years, by trillions of souls, and never once had those actions been deliberate. Before you was something like a surging river of thought and emotion, barely contained by the channels it cut into reality by its tempestuous passage.

You reached up towards those channels of riotous energy, reached up and almost hesitated. You'd reached into the past before; you'd found truth there. But never once into a place as deeply…you struggled to find a word. Sacred? As this one. Mytikas, Skylark, they'd been places known to billions. This was orders of magnitude greater. But you had to try.

Start small, you told yourself. It was good advice. You brushed a handful of metaphysical fingers into one of the channels around you, dipping an edge of yourself into the endless memories within.

Into Waters of Memory: 5

And found yourself, for the second time in your life that you could remember, utterly out of your depth.

Literally.

A torrent of snapshot moments slashed across your fingers like a hurricane of knives, slicing through the skin of your soul with terrifying ease. You reacted on instinct, power surging up through your shared existence, Kagiso solidifying it around your injured fingers to protect them. It barely mattered. The memories didn't stop, and you realised in an instant of clarity that you'd entirely misjudged their speed. You'd approached this as a construct built to be connected to, as every other one you'd ever touched had been.

This had been created by accident, by a set moment that had driven itself deeper into the Shiplord's cultural consciousness than anything you'd ever seen. The metaphysical KT-impact of the Sorrows on humanity was a child's flailing compared to this. You had no reference points, no guidance, only scorching pain. No single soul could exist, let alone find their way, within this storm of ancient sorrow. The only way to survive was to escape, and try as you might, you didn't know if you could do that on your own.

Insight: 73

:Vega!: The cry came from three different beings, Elil's Unison had always been quieter than most. But that didn't make them idle. Elil's presence lashed out, compressing into a blade of pure will that somehow cut a gap in the tempest around you. It couldn't last, but you hadn't thought making the space was possible to begin with.

:Get us out, Amanda,: he snapped in a voice completely devoid of emotion. His presence flexed, making two more flying cuts to open your safe harbour a few fractions wider. With each stroke came the same reminder: there were no weak links in your Heartcircle, just different strengths. His existence slashed again at empty space, and this time you caught a glimmering of what the man was doing. He was anticipating the flow, something that you, a Harmonial, hadn't been able to do. And he'd known it was only a holding action.

Different strengths, after all. His was exactly what he'd made of himself here. Perfect clarity welded to the will to act on it without pause, if the situation required it. This one had, but he hadn't jumped blindly. He'd made a space, and with it, time.

Mending: 73

And that was all Amanda needed.

Her presence surged down around you, filling the empty space with power that rang with the taste of silver and aquamarine. It was the touch of home, the feeling of safety in a world without pain, and brooked no defiance to its will. For all that, there was no anger in its presence, none of the rage that you had felt from your friend only a handful of times.

The power of perhaps the greatest of all humanity's Potentials reached into the surging river, a solid ward that simply withstood the rushing moment-blades. You felt her hand close on your own through your Masques, the simple connection of skin to skin still a powerful bond. Then you were flying up, away from the channel you'd tried to tap, and back into the world of flesh and blood.

Amanda's Focus wrapped around you as you came, reaching down into the cuts torn through the fingers you'd extended from your soul. The wounds didn't wash away completely at her touch, but the cuts themselves sealed instantly. A moment later they were faded as if made days before, but something told you that was as far as it would go for now. Anything more would need a greater expression of Mandy's Focus, and that could be dangerous here.

You felt her consider it anyway, but reached out first. :I'm alright, Mandy,: you sent. :I'm alright.:

:You almost weren't.:
Elil's voice was more human now, the certainty his Focus had given him bleeding quickly away into concern.

:But I am,: you replied gently. :Thanks to you both.:

:Not perfect,:
Amanda sighed. You could feel her annoyance, her worry, but also the knowledge that held it back.

:But enough.: You persisted. :And now I know what's there, I can be better prepared.: For a moment, there was silence.

:You can't be serious!: They both snapped. It was an automatic reaction, and the synchronicity of it made you smile.

:I'm afraid I am,: you replied gently. :Because I got something from that experience, no matter how painful it was.: It had only been a moment, a single instant of clarity that Elil had won for you from the overwhelming pressure within the channels of the soulspace construct. But it had given you the beginning of…something.

There was no way to access the memories inside of it safely, you knew that now. Not without expressions of Practice that would be impossible to hide. But if you could examine how they moved and find the shape of the nexus, you could work out where it began. You knew the event, of course. You knew what Rinel had told, the reasons why it had meant so much. But there was context missing. The Shiplords had found the decision made by the Gysian impossible, the idea of choosing to destroy everything something that just hadn't existed in their perspective of the universe.

But why? You asked that question to your companions, and neither could answer.

:It couldn't just be their desire to be good teachers,: you added. There was a bone-deep certainty in that. :That sort of failure wouldn't have created an imprint in soulspace so turbulent that it could have killed me.:

:Going back into that could still kill you,:
Elil pointed out, and you couldn't deny it. He was correct, as usual.

:But she has a point,: Amanda's fingers tightened on your own a moment. :I hate the idea of you risking yourself again, Vega. But I think I understand why you want to.:

:I understand why she wants to,:
Elil said acidicly. :I even understand that it's within our mission profile, and that we should be far more capable of protecting her from it if she tries again. But that doesn't remove the risk.:

:This entire mission is risks,:
you riposted. :And it's not like we've been short on taking them.:

:Even so, your life,:
Amanda's words were torn with protective fear. :We need you, Vega.:

:If we want to succeed,:
you said calmly, :I think we need this too.:

What do you choose?
[] You have to know. This is
not safe, but it might be necessary.
[] Withdraw. You cannot risk your life or the mission so blatantly here.

Last edited:
So it still counts as a yule update if it's between Christmas and New Years, right? Took a while to get this one right, ended up going back and changing it three times in the course of doing so until I came out with this as the final result. Pretty happy with it. And yes, you failed a roll. Or at least Vega did. And she almost died because of it. Turns out trying to tap into the collective experience of double-digit trillions (at minimum) can be risky. Thanks go to @Baughn and @Coda as always for checking my work and acting as sanity boards.

We wish you all the best in your winter festivals of choice.

Happy voting!

Edit: Oh, and just to make it really clear? You try and do this and there will be rolls that if they go poorly could lead to Vega dying or the entire mission getting blown by Amanda using Words to save her.

Last edited:
Question: is it atypical for Shiplords to make repeat visits to Sorrows locations? I'm leaning towards "don't risk it this time, but maybe at another visit to the site".

Question: is it atypical for Shiplords to make repeat visits to Sorrows locations? I'm leaning towards "don't risk it this time, but maybe at another visit to the site".
Hmmm.

It would probably be remarked on if you used Hearthguard codes again, but it wouldn't be impossible to return, no. In truth, using the Hearthguard codes gives you a free return using your full stealth package if absolutely required. Though returning later won't do anything to remove the chance of death if something goes wrong.

[X] Withdraw. You cannot risk your life or the mission so blatantly here.
-[X] Assure Vega that we can try this later if need be, but we ought to collect low-risk information first before trying anything stupid.
-[JK] Be super-defensive when she points out all the stupid things we've done.

[x] You have to know. This is not safe, but it might be necessary.

I have to disagree with you on the bit about fighting for fighting sake not working with other motivations
I didn't say it wouldn't work with other motivations.

Fighting as a Focus (with a capital F) means that the idea of "fighting" is the most important thing to you. It's more than just enjoying it. It's the core of your identity, a reason in and of itself instead of a means to an end, the thing that if you couldn't do it would absolutely destroy you.

I said it was incompatible with the First Awoken. They're too angry and hurt to find satisfaction in anything but tearing down the Shiplords. Finding satisfaction in fighting for its own sake is, as I said, something of a luxury, and you only really see "luxury" Focuses in the Third and Fourth Awoken. And that is, indeed, the question you asked, was it not? Which Awakening they'd belong to?

-[X] Assure Vega that we can try this later if need be, but we ought to collect low-risk information first before trying anything stupid.
-[JK] Be super-defensive when she points out all the stupid things we've done.

[X] You have to know. This is not safe, but it might be necessary.
//
Still think it is mandatory to understand the SL good enough to end this war before you need scientific notation to express the dead count. And as was directly expressed by Vega: Why was it so (literally) unthinkable for the SL that anyone would go for 'if we have to burn with you, so be it. As long as you BURN.'? That's another conceptual blindness that needs to be addressed one way or another - 'understanding your antagonist' is required both in war and peace (ie, diplomacy).

I'm a little torn, and I want the vote to be closer in order to reflect my own conflicted state. I'm not sure this is the right choice but my gut says to vote for it.

Back