Maybe we could tie the wrongness of shiplord tech into our accusation of "Hjiven cosplay"

why would the Interface know about that? That happened after it was built and then abandoned.
An outsiders perspective on how a species started down the path of enforcing collective guilt might be useful, and not something later relics might provide.

This is kind of an odd concept to me; it seems weird that being the opposite of introspective does not mean that the Teel, or for that matter the Shiplords, would be completely unable to understand the introspection of another species, but okay. No spoilers; I get it. :p

That's an awfully short amount of time for the Teel to declare failure. I'm assuming that the Shiplords were continuing their campaign of extermination this whole time, otherwise the Teel would have probably tried harder, if only because they were determined enough to declare war on their teachers just to gain access to this question in the first place.
I think in this case, the Teel spent literally a hundred years trying to figure out the Consolat mysteries and couldn't, and at the end of that time they'd basically given up and realized that the odds were overwhelming that if a hundred years weren't enough to make any headway on the key issues, ten thousand wouldn't either.

That, or the Shiplords decided to be colossal assholes (surprise surprise) and issued an ultimatum because they ran out of patience (surprise surprise)

Ugh, nothing at all? Lamest treasure room ever. :p I joke, but honestly it's kind of astonishing how little everyone in the expedition is prioritizing what should be one of the primary goals of this expedition, that being the acquisition of resources, technologies, or actionable intel to help the overall tactical / strategic posture of humanity and their allies against the active, ongoing Shiplord extermination campaigns. I'd been kind of hoping that we would be acquiring stuff like that this whole time, just sort of incidentally to the main mission, but there's been nothing so far and that's disappointing.
We're not well equipped to loot Shiplord stuff or gather detailed intel on their fleet movements or whatever, because most of that stuff isn't here, at the Sorrows systems.

If we were just randomly rattling around Shiplord space looking for stuff, then this would be more of a viable approach... but in that case it would be all the more questionable that so many of humanity's strategic-level assets are along on a random scouting expedition. We're visiting a specific list of destinations as quickly as possible with fairly specific goals in mind, so seizing targets of opportunity along the way is tricky.

How much better would the FSN's tech been if Mary had been there to forge ahead with Secret tech (although let's be honest and admit that Amanda and Mary are tied at the hip and there's no way one would have gone without the other)?
We've only been gone for, like, less than a year, though, right?

I don't think even Mary would make that much of a difference that fast.

More generally, we have no idea what the appropriate balance is between strategic assets in Sol and strategic assets out here on the Sorrow-hunting expedition. It's just inherently not the kind of decision you can afford to guilt-trip yourself over, because any possible choice is "wrong" from some other person's point of view.

Edit. Earth doesn't know somebody has been taken. We need to tell them that too.
They knew before you did. One of the Lux Sagum stations caught it - see the final Fourth Battle of Sol interlude.
That, or the Shiplords decided to be colossal assholes (surprise surprise) and issued an ultimatum because they ran out of patience (surprise surprise)
Can confirm that this did not occur. More later when I'm not vaccine fogged.

*collapses back to sleep*

Last edited:
So, in order to prevent a millennium of protracted interstellar war, humanity has to become the Shiplords' emotional support species by deciphering the Consulat's soul therapy notes?

So, in order to prevent a millennium of protracted interstellar war, humanity has to become the Shiplords' emotional support species by deciphering the Consulat's soul therapy notes?
... if we find an answer, and can (likely) prove too that the SL could have found the answer millions of years ago by asking the right species instead of, you know, genociding it ... the total meltdown of the SL can take several shapes. And the SL are the guys who know several ways to use the secrets to end existence. So, we need a more diplomatic approach then 'you dumbasses could have avoided all the bloodshed millenia ago if you weren't such a bunch of assholes'. Like, a lot better. Lot lot lot better.

"That would have required us to trust them" cuts both ways, and as much as humanity would probably be willing to follow Amanda's lead, it would be a big ask even for them and I don't see any chance of convincing the G6 to let bygones be bygones.

"That would have required us to trust them" cuts both ways, and as much as humanity would probably be willing to follow Amanda's lead, it would be a big ask even for them and I don't see any chance of convincing the G6 to let bygones be bygones.

So, it's more likely that we'll be using it as leverage, then.

"Surprise, we've managed to unlock the ONE thing your species has ever truly cared about, and if you want to access it, we're going to need to sit down and talk terms. Oh, sure, rattle your sabers and threaten to wipe out our species, but face facts: this is probably your only opportunity to get this. Even if you're able to find another species who could unlock this, you will NEVER get over yourselves long enough to bring them to your most sacred spaces to try."

Last edited:
guys who know several ways to use the secrets to end existence.
So do we. If guys constructing orbital habs using rivits could make a vacuum collapse bomb then so could we. Good old fashioned cold war politics, except this time we bloodied them at the German border.

Even assuming that we pulled the information out of there perfectly then there would still be plenty of shiplords who don't want to end up in front of a war crimes tribunal. It might even be a straight majority. No other peace would be acceptable.

If guys constructing orbital habs using rivits could make a vacuum collapse bomb then so could we.
The Last Cry was built out from a truly ancient orbital platform constructed before the Gysian discovered the Secrets.

Please don't assume they relied on rivets as binding connectors when they built a vacuum collapse bomb <3

As an aside, I'm going to extend this vote by at least a day. I just don't have the energy right now to go through and give you the answers you all deserve for making this choice.

Last edited:
The Last Cry was built out from a truly ancient orbital platform constructed before the Gysian discovered the Secrets.
Right, and the comparison is nonsensical if one thinks about it more.

I thought up a second question.
[X] Ask more of the interface?
- [X] Why do the shiplords practice collective punishment as a baseline?

- [X] Why does shiplord technology feel wrong to the soul?

Right, and the comparison is nonsensical if one thinks about it more.

I thought up a second question.
Asking about present-day Shiplord behavior is pointless - this is data put in place before the modern Tribute system.

modern Tribute system.
The modern tribute system is only one facet of a larger problem. The Gysians, while restored in a way were getting their planets cracked, and it took one officer disregarding their orders to save the obviously surrendering orbital habs. This mercy is said to have caused a political shit storm.

I'm interested in how this lack of mercy came about in the pre tributary shiplords.

Last edited:
Okay! Feeling much better today. Time for some answers!

I think that's a big part of the tragic of the SL: They got a gift from their friends which cost them their existence as far as the SL could see, and then they discovered that they could use the gift but didn't understand it really. And others could, too - use it to destroy everything. And it was the SLs fault for getting the gift but not understanding it; if they had never bothered the Consolat so much all this would never have happened (at least I think that's the SLs trauma, even if that interpretation is lacking). But because the problem exist because of them it's on them to make sure it isn't a problem that ends existence. We know where that downward spiral ended.
This post deserves some attention.

That's what I expected the Fourth Sorrow to be - but that turned out not to be the case. So I guess I'm a bit unclear on why this is a Sorrow.
Staying at the Sorrow to Witness or Remember will answer this.

1. Not a "Shiplord wish"; a "problem that the Shiplords wish [to be] solved". Basically I'm asking if there's some problem that the Shiplords as a people asked the Teel to solve, other than the philosophical / strategic goal of preventing or persuading other species from trying to Bad End the universe. Like, for example, is there something fundamentally broken in the physical / soul-space machinery that allows the Secrets to exist? Are knowing Secrets inherently corruptive, or incur some other sort of cost? Are SEZs decaying? Growing? Are the Secrets, specifically the one(s) created by the Consulat, changing?
  2. This is kind of an odd concept to me; it seems weird that being the opposite of introspective does not mean that the Teel, or for that matter the Shiplords, would be completely unable to understand the introspection of another species, but okay. No spoilers; I get it. :p
  3. I mean, yes, obviously we'll need to look into this in more depth personally, but this sort of gets back to the first two questions as well. I know from a game mechanics perspective that this whole journey of discovery is important; on the other hand time is very pressing and there seems little reason that this Last Memory should contain so little information that it's willing or able to share.
  4. Again, see above. Why are the remaining Secrets being held as Secret by the Last Memory? Humanity already knows more than enough to destroy the universe thrice over, and the Teel are essentially entrusting us with the fate of existence by giving us what they have; why are they keeping what could be important data vital for humanity's survival, well, Secret?
  5. Oh, now that is interesting! This implies that the Origin does not have some sort of Secrets command console interface, or if it does it's not one that either the Teel or the Shiplords ever discovered, and the Shiplords are doing the part of tracking down Secret-capable species on their own.
  6. Ugh, nothing at all? Lamest treasure room ever. :p I joke, but honestly it's kind of astonishing how little everyone in the expedition is prioritizing what should be one of the primary goals of this expedition, that being the acquisition of resources, technologies, or actionable intel to help the overall tactical / strategic posture of humanity and their allies against the active, ongoing Shiplord extermination campaigns. I'd been kind of hoping that we would be acquiring stuff like that this whole time, just sort of incidentally to the main mission, but there's been nothing so far and that's disappointing.
  1. Broadly? The Shiplords know at some level that they're broken. They know that what they're doing is wrong, but they also can't see any way out of the spiral they've become part of that would actually work. The statement of "all we had to do was trust them" is relevant to this. They knew how to fix the problem, but they didn't know how to do it. And this goes back to the very core of how the Secrets were made. The way that the Consolat appeared to die to give them the universe, and how deeply that damaged them. And they don't know how to make that better. There is no human comparison, and it could be that the Sorrows are a horribly twisted attempt by the Shiplords to make others understand them. If it is, it doesn't excuse them, but knowing what they know now it's hard to avoid the possibility of that being the case.
  2. It's not really spoilers. I've said for most of this quest series that the way that humanity sees the world was more important than almost anything else. This is not something that's new, but it's still important. Much more on this would be spoilers, but I'd like to draw your attention to one thing in particular. The Lament referred to the Consolat's science as a deeply philosophical one, and this wasn't just limited to science. Consider how the Secrets work, how they become accessible to a species. You can do the science, but you have to believe that there's an answer, too.
  3. In all seriousness, this isn't a question it would be able to answer. Most races don't delve into soul science to nearly the same degree that humanity has - in truth, humanity is arguably the most advanced species in the galaxy where that's concerned. Practice gave you both the means and need to explore that field in a way that no one has since quite possibly the Consolat themselves.
  4. Because the Secrets aren't the answer to this problem. If they were, the Shiplords would've found it, and the point of the Last Memory was never to pass on details of the Secrets. But I accept that this is a bit of a dodge, so see below.
  5. :ninja:
  6. That was never the goal of this expedition. The point was to find an answer to the Shiplords that wouldn't require a third of the galaxy burnt to ashes - at minimum. Remember that Project Insight said you could win, but it also told you the cost of victory.
On the matter of the Fourth and Eighth Secrets, the Last Memory can tell you this:

The Fourth provides the means to manipulate the bonds between hadrons, allowing manipulation of matter at a level not even the Sixth can match. It appears to deal with the gamma ray bursts that would result from this sort of manipulation, and is probably part of how the Shiplords terraformed the entire galactic core. It's an incredibly useful construction and economic tool, but has limited offensive capacity. No stable strange matter, for one.

The Eighth is hinted at for how the Lament made this interface, though their use of it was deliberately incomplete to create something short of a full AI. It's the non-Second mechanism for creating artificial intelligences, that Iris has been slowly unravelling, and seems to also deal quite heavily with aspects of the soul.

Wait, did the Teel get access to the Consulat archive, the Consulat Origin, or both? Or are those actually the same place? It was kind of implied in the interludes that mentioned one or the other that they were separate entities located at different places, but they seem to be used interchangeably here.
I can now confirm that they're the same place. The archive lies upon the Consolat homeworld, that the Shiplords call their Origin.

And you're saying there were a parade of non-Shiplord species that also tried their hand at the Third Sorrow simulation, and literally none of them tried the gunboat diplomacy approach in A Simple Question? I can understand the Shiplords having a cultural blindspot so sharply-defined that it borders on an AI restraining bolt, but that was seriously the case for dozens, even hundreds of other sapient species as well? Is there really something fundamentally odd about sapience in the PW/SC universe that makes basic empathy a unique human superpower?
Pretty much all of the species who went through the Third Sorrow's simulations before the Sorrows were sealed off were races that fought in the War of the Sphere. This had...predictable effects on the outcomes.

Why the fuck do the Shiplords hate it so much if you don't prepare to shoot aliens before you've even met any?
It's not that. Not at all. The Shiplords have fought and bled and killed for reality's continued existence. I'm not even getting into the Tribute system here, they did that in the War of the Sphere, the war against the Gysians, and many other occasions where they had to pull races back from the brink in their earlier days. Most of the time they succeeded, but over time and failures the high-minded ideals twisted and warped until it today.

I didn't want to come right out and say the reason for this, but I think I need to. Consider the core Shiplord belief that the Consolat gave their lives to create the Secrets. Somewhere along the way in their formalisation of the Tribute system, they started to see what they did in first contact as a twisted form of payment. Our friends died to give reality this, so now you have to prove that you're worthy of their gifts.

Is that right? God no.

But that's trauma for you.
[?] Ask more of the interface?
- [?] Why are the shiplords incapable of measured retribution? Why is their response often wholesale genocide instead of killing the individuals responsible?
If you're referring to the Gysian here...their willingness to escalate straight to ending reality when told was like setting off a nuke in the centre of the Shiplord complex surrounding the need to ensure proper use of the secrets to ensure the sacrifice of the Consolat wasn't in vain. They weren't proud of it, and the Second Sorrow I think shows the depth of that shame at the time. One that has maintained deeply enough for them never to try and kill the Gysians off, which given the current state of Shiplord existence is honestly rather impressive.

Beyond that...there aren't really many examples of being incapable of measured retribution. The Sphere? Fought a war of extinction that they didn't start then got aborted by an Uninvolved soul-nuking the entire species. The Gysian? Covered above. The Teel? Actually won and proved their right to be given the truth. The Zlathbu? Got wiped by the early Tribute system because their nanoform started to build a stellar convertor which would make them impossible to kill except by blowing up their star. The Shiplords proceeded to blow up said star, over the strident objections of the Hearthguard.

See above for the collective punishment bit. The second one...most of it doesn't. There's been no feedback from Amanda in any of the Sorrows, for example - except that one time with the vision of how the War of the Sphere ended but that's not relevant. It's damned odd, really.

If I've missed anything, and I'm quite certain I have, please poke me about it again.

Consider the core Shiplord belief that the Consolat gave their lives to create the Secrets.
And that might be wrong. The Secrets could be a side-effect of what the Consolat did, something along the lines of 'and when we do it, we can also ...', not a 'let's make Secrets'.
//
... I just realized - simply becoming Uninvolved (nowadays?) doesn't require deep soul-science on the level of the Consolat. Interesting.

Last edited:
I suppose we should be glad the Consulat didn't leave some kind of MCP thing to try and do hotfixes on misuse of the Secrets. Can you imagine if they kept making new 'bugs' in reality each time a new 'patch' came out?

Let's take the sun-killers as an example. What if, while trying to patch that, they ended up creating something like FNF Corruption Supernova? Basically, in that universe, stars naturally produce a black substance. If a star goes supernova, instead of being blown up(at least if a Yellow Dwarf goes supernova for some reason, presumably Yellow Giants and the like could overcome this, hence second/third-gen stars like the Sun existing at all, or in this case it's a relatively recent thing) then instead of being scattered, it just goes Black Dwarf dead, and sprays it's home system with Corruption ooze.

Good news, this prevents the planet from getting blown up by the supernova, and keeps it warm despite the Sun being cold and dead.

Bad news. The planet is now an oven(poles and their ecosystems are screwed) and double digit percentage of the population are now fire zombies. Usual FNF Corruption features of being blackened with glowing eyes and teeth in forced, unsettling smiles, which can be spread by contact or sound. Unusual features in that the glow is yellow and orange, and the Corrupted emit significant heat, as if they have magma on them, and are often on fire. The same property of the ooze that shielded the planet from the supernova means that fully Corrupted individuals are shielded from this heat, but if you start curing them, you better do it fast. The insulation goes away faster than the superheated bits, so they'll fry if you don't do it fast enough. Amanda's Mending makes her uniquely suited to dealing with this, but a situation where the Shiplords blew up the Sun or a sun in humanity's face would be very likely to see Amanda on the front lines getting a face full of Corruption ooze and instead 'leading' (for a given value of leading when dealing with fire zombies) the Corrupted in their charge against the universe. Other stars produce this stuff too, and they're insulated from supernovas, so they'd likely just blow up every star they can find in a systematic grid system. It's not like they'll freeze.

Or the vacuum collapse thing. Maybe it tries setting up a sort of 'false bottom' to keep that from happening, but that leads to physics going a little weird in general.

Or the Hjiven thing. I'm pretty sure anything that would work to prevent that would need some serious testing to avoid interfering with Uninvolved.

…Prove yourself worthy…
… Do the Shiplords themselves think they are worthy?…
'How dare you use that gift and persist'…
Hrrm.
It's like the true emotional start point of the Tribute system now is less 'prove your strength' or 'assert our dominance' but more…
It's a play that's bad and everyone realizes it's bad, but it's emotionally satisfying to a deep and painful wound in their psyche.

They see these younger races playing and screwing around with the secrets and all they can think of is how foolish they were to wish the things were real to begin with.
'We paid a terrible price and you use it to play with Dragons?!'

I have to wonder.
When Amanda talked to the Uninvolved…We're the Consolat there in the mix? Or did they go still and vanish out of grief at what their former friends had done, what they became?

Hrrrm.
It's like…
The Shiplords seem like they either need a good slap upside the head or all the hugs.
The former means a third of the Galaxy burns due to the sheer scope of the powers involved.
The latter means somehow convincing them the Consolat wasn't their fault.
And yet…
Hrrm.
Wait.
Did the Consolat KNoW they were going to ascend? Or did it surprise them as well? And then, when the Shiplords slowly came to that awful thought, and could not move past the guilt and grief…

Then it'd be like…
Like a Plus from Bleach, sort of.
The Grief is the emotional strength. The so-called 'Duty' to honor the Consolat's secrets gives them a reason to stay around.
The problem is they're too drenched in their grief to really do their job properly or avoid creating new Sorrows…
Hrrrm.
The Shiplords captured one of the Uninvolved.
I wonder if that might be an opportunity? Instead of then jumping straight to the 'this is how we convince those crazy, somehow hopeful humans to finally go Uninvolved!' And turning him into an ever screaming statue or something.

When Amanda talked to the Uninvolved…We're the Consolat there in the mix? Or did they go still and vanish out of grief at what their former friends had done, what they became?
Without providing any spoilers...

The Uninvolved are uninvolved by choice and trauma, nothing fundamental. It's cultural; they're very much still capable of reaching into ordinary matter. If the Consolat had arrived at that state, do you truly think we'd be in the position we are now?

They wouldn't have been gone, just changed. It would still be traumatic, but they'd be there, and able to talk. As opposed to the sudden yawning gap that's at the source of all of this.

So what about the technology that does feel fucked up on the soul? Are you saying that's just psychosomatic? Should I reword my question to something like "was there technology during your time that feels as fucked up as the tribute flagship I defeated?"
They weren't proud of it,
The thing is, they didn't even try anything else. For instance, if somebody we knew was building a vaccum collapse bomb we'd preemptively strike to blow it up, not engage in negotiations, then kill anybody involved in the design and construction and occupy them for years. The shiplords just jumped straight to genocide, after some strange attempt at negotiation with a xenophobic leadership?

It reminds me of sci fi story I read once, where an alien brought up a theory around why a certain alien species was really evil. It postulated that herbivorous sentient species wouldn't evolve with the pressures that taught a species different ways to compete, and herbivorous species only have the "in herd, out herd" mentality.

It just seems to me that the shiplords simply suck at Empire-building and have resorted to using genocide as the go to.

So what about the technology that does feel fucked up on the soul? Are you saying that's just psychosomatic? Should I reword my question to something like "was there technology during your time that feels as fucked up as the tribute flagship I defeated?"
Level of soul science required to understand not met.
The thing is, they didn't even try anything else. For instance, if somebody we knew was building a vaccum collapse bomb we'd preemptively strike to blow it up, not engage in negotiations, then kill anybody involved in the design and construction and occupy them for years. The shiplords just jumped straight to genocide, after some strange attempt at negotiation with a xenophobic leadership?

It reminds me of sci fi story I read once, where an alien brought up a theory around why a certain alien species was really evil. It postulated that herbivorous sentient species wouldn't evolve with the pressures that taught a species different ways to compete, and herbivorous species only have the "in herd, out herd" mentality.

It just seems to me that the shiplords simply suck at Empire-building and have resorted to using genocide as the go to
You're...aware that the Gysian were at a point where an effective preempetive strike would essentially be genocide, right? They had full schematics of the device, and the ability to produce them anywhere in their space. I'm struggling to find a better solution than attempting words with an emergency solution if one gets triggered on hand. The Shiplords did that, tried to negotiate again from a clear position of strength, and the Gysian went full tilt on vacuum collapse device production in reply.

A preemptive strike would have had exactly the same result, so I'm a little unsure what you're expecting to change?

I'd also like to point out that you're seeing exclusively the Shiplord failures. The Shiplords are more than three million cycles old as a spacefaring species. The Tribute system as it stands today is less than a million. The Teel'sanha tried to intervene because they could see where the Shiplords were going in cutting away trust and becoming more authoritarian in their commands. The Shiplords didn't actually start inflicting Sorrows on people until quite a bit later.

They made it work for two million cycles - roughly five million human years - with only two Sorrows to show for it. Then the War of the Sphere happened and the wheels started to come off because the Shiplords never set out to build an empire.

And in fairness, the Teel'sanha up until the end are pretty much a roaring success story for the Shiplord way of doing things pre-Tribute system.

Last edited:
Also, for all that the sorrows can be individually handwaved, we have zero examples of the Shiplords doing a Nuremberg when presented with the opportunity to do a genocide instead.
You're...aware that the Gysian were at a point where an effective preempetive strike would essentially be genocide, right?
The post-emptive strike they actually did managed despite being explicitly genocidal.

I think I'm finally getting the significance of Amanda and her crew "winning" the Hijvin Sphere simulation.

"They all failed," Kicha repeated, struggling with her fraying voice. "I tried to learn, to apply what they'd shown me, but it wasn't enough. I wasn't enough. And to see you come here and find a way, to chart the path so perfectly that you not simply caution their response, but offer an answer."

If the Shiplords were able to find The Right Words to make a species stand down from escalating to a point where they threaten the rest of existence, then that is what they would be doing all the time. Their sheer resources and knowledge of the Secrets should provide all the carrots and sticks they would need for a more refined solution, but they lack either a certain emotional intelligence or the edge that Practice provides to know how to utilize their resources to get their desired result. Instead, their trauma and their inability to trust has led them to the conclusion that the only consistent way to make other species STOP is to ruthlessly demonstrate that they are the biggest hammers in the galaxy at First Contact.

It's not empire building, it's not resource acquisition, it's not imposing their vision on everyone else whether they like it or not. The name of the game has always been "how do we prevent the universe being murdered by a random species", and the Shiplords would do anything to be provided with a better solution that can be shown to work.

The name of the game has always been "how do we prevent the universe being murdered by a random species", and the Shiplords would do anything to be provided with a better solution that can be shown to work.
Except when they do a genocide because the species hasn't proven itself worthy of the Secrets by putting up a fight.

If that was the name of the game then they'd be ecstatic whenever they found pacifists running a system. Instead we get this:
Consider the core Shiplord belief that the Consolat gave their lives to create the Secrets. Somewhere along the way in their formalisation of the Tribute system, they started to see what they did in first contact as a twisted form of payment. Our friends died to give reality this, so now you have to prove that you're worthy of their gifts.

Also, for all that the sorrows can be individually handwaved, we have zero examples of the Shiplords doing a Nuremberg when presented with the opportunity to do a genocide instead.
*looks at the Second Sorrow*
The post-emptive strike they actually did managed despite being explicitly genocidal.
The one that killed all the produced devices, but was unable to kill the production facilities due to them being inside of SEZs. And the Shiplords of the time didn't have Lumens.

zero examples of the Shiplords doing a Nuremberg when presented with the opportunity to do a genocide instead.
This is I think a better phrasing of my question, and if anybody would know the interface would.

Level of soul science required to understand not met.
Even the interface? Still, that tells us something. The shiplords are doing/experiencing high level soul science that feels really fucked up. It just feeds into the hjiven cosplay look.
What you're expecting to change?
"When the recordings from the Hearthguard reached the Shiplord Authority, the response was a mess of stellar proportions," they continued. "Some wanted us wiped out regardless, but most saw the truth that the early leaders in this system had reacted to so violently. The Gysians who'd tried to annihilate reality were all dead, and the remaining production capacity of our orbitals would've taken years to produce one of our devices, assuming they could access the required feedstocks, which they couldn't. Of those orbitals that remained, one had already died after refusing any and all aid. But all the others eventually accepted the possibility, however slight, that our would-be killers might have had a change of heart. None of us really believed it then, but when the only other option is extinction, it's hard to argue.
In human history, those who fight wars with no regard for civilians and the peace that must come after are among our worst monsters. Apparently the shiplords didn't plan for what to do with survivors, and were completely willing to waltz into complete genocide just following their last orders, save one who rallied the rest. That's indicative of a deeper problem.

The order wasn't "remove the ability for these people to create vaccum collapse devices, then occupy." It was "kill".

The one that killed all the produced devices, but was unable to kill the production facilities due to them being inside of SEZs. And the Shiplords of the time didn't have Lumens.
What point do you think I'm making? The one I'm trying to make is that, despite setting out with explicit intentions to exterminate every Gysian, they figured out how to destroy the reality bomb factories without doing that after they were asked nicely. Presumably they could've done the asking nicely themselves.

You've said before that the Shiplords' handling of the Gysians was a trauma-induced overreaction. Now you seem to be saying that it was somehow the best material outcome that anyone in their position, trauma or no trauma, could've managed. I'm lost.

Last edited:
Back