The Iron Sith V2 (SW/MCU AU)

This is going to do some crazy things to the groups that make up the US and NATO SF worlds. A lot of those groups know the people within their own groups really well, SHIELD is most likely pulling there strike teams from the different SpeOps groups and this will send some real waves through this groups, SHIELD is going to have a really hard time getting strike teams until they clean house with a vengeanc. This all hinges on the fact that SHIELD acts like most modern intelligence agencies and pulls gun man for things like this from groups like the seals or delta, etc.

At least in part, SHIELD gets "legacy" agents from the families that formed it, or served in it, or through personnal recomendation with agents training protegees. Sharon Carter, and Grant Ward are examples of this. On the other hand, Rumlow was some kind of military, before joining SHIELD and OTL at least eventually becoming Hydra.

That said, at least a few of the Hydra commando team mebers would have been officially SHIELD agents, or at least former SHIELD agents, which will stir up the plot. The issue there is that there are too many factions who would like to avoid a more open clash at this time, or keep their shenanigans in the shadows. For exeample, far from all oversight Council members are Hydra of any stripe, yet they have their own factions within SHIELD focused on protecting national interests.

Hell, Fury is painfully aware that there are factions within SHIELD that aren't loyal explicitly to him, and that's part of the compromise that makes SHIELD an organization with wide international reach. The countries overseeing, financing and allowing SHIELD a near free hand in their territory do get to call the shots for parts of the organization through their representatives on the Oversight Council.

Practically speaking, if it wasn't for the knowledge about that the Kree, Skrull and others exist and have designs for Earth, SHIELD like we know it would be unlikely to exist. The whole organization is a compromise and contradiction. Kind of a nuclear power in itself, or it would be in a few years in universe time.

why do i feel that Tony is gonna have Rody call up friends in Fort Bragg and such to tell all of americas spec ops forces that whenever they rotate out that Tony is willing to front probably high 6 low 7 figure salaries for people willing to sign up for Stark Industries conflict operations (S.I.C.O)tm and in the crossfire depopulating all of Americas spec ops forces within 2-4 years

This is going to do some crazy things to the groups that make up the US and NATO SF worlds. A lot of those groups know the people within their own groups really well, SHIELD is most likely pulling there strike teams from the different SpeOps groups and this will send some real waves through this groups, SHIELD is going to have a really hard time getting strike teams until they clean house with a vengeanc. This all hinges on the fact that SHIELD acts like most modern intelligence agencies and pulls gun man for things like this from groups like the seals or delta, etc.
At least in part, SHIELD gets "legacy" agents from the families that formed it, or served in it, or through personnal recomendation with agents training protegees. Sharon Carter, and Grant Ward are examples of this. On the other hand, Rumlow was some kind of military, before joining SHIELD and OTL at least eventually becoming Hydra.
There surely cannot be enough legacy families to supply SHIELD though, and they wouldn't get their training from nowhere.

And if they are taking SF on rotation from different countries, yeah this could be a shitstorm. A quiet one sure, but a shitstorm nonetheless. SF teams from different nations killing each other, kidnapping and killing foreign nationals in foreign countries and all of it exacerbated by the presence of a incredibly famous billionaire. Yeah this might end poorly.

There surely cannot be enough legacy families to supply SHIELD though, and they wouldn't get their training from nowhere.

And if they are taking SF on rotation from different countries, yeah this could be a shitstorm. A quiet one sure, but a shitstorm nonetheless. SF teams from different nations killing each other, kidnapping and killing foreign nationals in foreign countries and all of it exacerbated by the presence of a incredibly famous billionaire. Yeah this might end poorly.
I agree completely, this will be a special level of fucked up on the international stage, especially depending on the national of the "shield" agents.

I agree completely, this will be a special level of fucked up on the international stage, especially depending on the national of the "shield" agents.

We're talking about SHIELD. Do you really believe that they would simply let their direct action agents rotate back as regular special forces? It would be retirement, and perhaps mercenary career after SHIELD, with ties and strings attached.

That said, yeah this is going to be a huge mess. Hydra's factions generally avoid such public clashes and all out shadow war for a good reason.

Does General Franklin Rock appear in this?

I have no idea who he is. A quick google serach with the name and MCU gave me nothing.

A guy that survived ww2 as Sgt Rock and became a General, doing Black missions, maybe taught Fury and Colson.

Edit ignore, wrong continuity

Last edited:
We're talking about SHIELD. Do you really believe that they would simply let their direct action agents rotate back as regular special forces? It would be retirement, and perhaps mercenary career after SHIELD, with ties and strings attached.

That said, yeah this is going to be a huge mess. Hydra's factions generally avoid such public clashes and all out shadow war for a good reason.
Yes, especially if they are a multinational group. It's a way to control SHIELD, do you think that a bunch of nations around the world are going to let an agency have complete in house control of everythin? Hell no, the component governments would have to limit the, for the express fact that an international agency that acts a judge, jury, and executioner needs Incredible amounts of oversight. Any sane group would make sure that any direct action groups are only seconded to SHIELD, not raised in house.

Not to mention SHIELD abducting trained agents, or not allowing them to retire would raise major red flags and get covert kill orders on everyone high up in SHIELD. No disclosure, sure makes sense, I can see Hydra marketing some agents or former employees disappear but large numbers would be a death sentence to Hydra. That would end up with the Massad or groups like CAG doing black bag ops on anyone high up in SHIELD that gets caught.

Now the different factions of Hydra would be trying to change that, but it would be an immense struggle to do so. To much power in a few hands, esp with Fury's dicey track record.

Last edited:
Yes, especially if they are a multinational group. It's a way to control SHIELD, do you think that a bunch of nations around the world are going to let an agency have complete in house control of everythin? Hell no, the component governments would have to limit the, for the express fact that an international agency that acts a judge, jury, and executioner needs Incredible amounts of oversight. Any sane group would make sure that any direct action groups are only seconded to SHIELD, not raised in house.

Not to mention SHIELD abducting trained agents, or not allowing them to retire would raise major red flags and get covert kill orders on everyone high up in SHIELD. No disclosure, sure makes sense, I can see Hydra marketing some agents or former employees disappear but large numbers would be a death sentence to Hydra. That would end up with the Massad or groups like CAG doing black bag ops on anyone high up in SHIELD that gets caught.

Now the different factions of Hydra would be trying to change that, but it would be an immense struggle to do so. To much power in a few hands, esp with Fury's dicey track record.
Admittedly I could actually see that working, if and only if they were getting SF teams at the end of their usefulness. Stuff like the 4th SOB from my country, SF members who are in their mid to late forties and who are effectively at the end of their usefulness, through the age and injury's outweighing their skill.
If SHIELD was getting those guys then yeah no nations going to care to much about them being assigned to SHIELD permanently, means they don't need to pay the likely high medical costs or veteran benefits, eliminates a potential civil disturbance and lowers their bureaucratic inertia.
That would be a good deal, especially given that SHIELDs terms are mostly for show after that, no one is hiring a team of 60-70 year old mercs, no matter how good they are.

Edit: And further, I should note that that's not a bad group to be pooling from. There is a reason the 4th are widely considered the best group in the NZSAS, they might be old farts by SF standards, but good God those guys can shoot. They are all 30 year vets, and that skill makes a difference. Sure they can't run or march as hard as they used to, maybe they take a little longer to get running after daybreak and need a bit more time to gather steam, but they are worth 3 newly inducted guys when they do. It's mostly a cost-benefit thing, if they get injured they have massive veteran pensions and they can't go on to be trainers, so they get sparsely deployed. If SHIELD is getting these guys, and has Black Budget money, then they are probably the most dangerous international force on the planet.

Last edited:
Woooo! I'm happy this concept has been revived and renewed. I hope the length of this story is as long as your rogue knight saga. I mean you do have the enterity of the MCU to play in. That being said...I can't wait for the ancient one's reaction to Tony hosting the memories of a Dark Lord of the Sith.

They aren't abducting trained agents or not allowing them to retire. It's just that once you're in SHIELD, you aren't getting back to active service with your previous government. You're in until you retire and after that you either lead a quiet life, or work a job with SHIELD strigs attached and oversight. This is due to knowing too much to let you run around unsupervised, and that would be especially true for SHIELDs direct action teams. The legit SHIELD did go around assassinating, kidnapping and blackmailing people just its Hydra infestation does.

No portrayal of SHIELD I've seen had it as any normal organization that exists on our Earth. It's reach by design is too broad and wide, its oversight ensures multiple factions that would sometimes clash, perhaps even violently in pursuing conflicting objectives. As I've said, the only reason the organization exists in any shape or form similar to what we saw in the movies, is the knowledge of hostile and subversive alliens who already tried to infiltrate and take over key countries on Earth.

If it wasn't for the pressing need for a defensive covert organization with a global reach, SHIELD as we know it wouldn't be allowed to exist.

There's some truth to that. SHIELD doesn't recruit green special forces but veterans, and it would realistically use them for the last five to ten years of their active shooter career so to speak. This augmented with a smaller cadre of younger people recruited by various means for a life-long career can more or less get us something similar to what we see.

Hell, to highlight another difference between SHIELD and any similar organization that might ever rise in our world, SHIELD in the MCU was slowly becoming a military power that only the US and a handful of other countries could ever hope to match. That would certainly be true the moment the Insight carriers came online if they weren't subverted. SHIELD had also access to nuclear weapons as of 2012 if not earlier.

All I'm saying is drawing direct links between what's possible or acceptable on our world, and what governments might accept given enough concessions in the MCU considering the threats they're aware of, are obviously not the same things.

They aren't abducting trained agents or not allowing them to retire. It's just that once you're in SHIELD, you aren't getting back to active service with your previous government. You're in until you retire and after that you either lead a quiet life, or work a job with SHIELD strigs attached and oversight. This is due to knowing too much to let you run around unsupervised, and that would be especially true for SHIELDs direct action teams. The legit SHIELD did go around assassinating, kidnapping and blackmailing people just its Hydra infestation does.

No portrayal of SHIELD I've seen had it as any normal organization that exists on our Earth. It's reach by design is too broad and wide, its oversight ensures multiple factions that would sometimes clash, perhaps even violently in pursuing conflicting objectives. As I've said, the only reason the organization exists in any shape or form similar to what we saw in the movies, is the knowledge of hostile and subversive alliens who already tried to infiltrate and take over key countries on Earth.

If it wasn't for the pressing need for a defensive covert organization with a global reach, SHIELD as we know it wouldn't be allowed to exist.

There's some truth to that. SHIELD doesn't recruit green special forces but veterans, and it would realistically use them for the last five to ten years of their active shooter career so to speak. This augmented with a smaller cadre of younger people recruited by various means for a life-long career can more or less get us something similar to what we see.

Hell, to highlight another difference between SHIELD and any similar organization that might ever rise in our world, SHIELD in the MCU was slowly becoming a military power that only the US and a handful of other countries could ever hope to match. That would certainly be true the moment the Insight carriers came online if they weren't subverted. SHIELD had also access to nuclear weapons as of 2012 if not earlier.

All I'm saying is drawing direct links between what's possible or acceptable on our world, and what governments might accept given enough concessions in the MCU considering the threats they're aware of, are obviously not the same things.
Well reasoned and expertly worded. I have no complaints with this. Given the facts as they are, and knowing how quickly people throw aside old grudges against new threats, I can see SHIELD becoming much more powerful than any agency could be in our world.
I like this story even more now knowing how expertly you are weaving this together, you've got my hopes up for something grand.

Phase 3: Changing world I Part 2
Disclaimer: I do not own any movies set up in the Marvel Cinematic Universe or Star Wars movies, cartoons, games, books, or comics. They belong to their respective copyright owners. This story is not created with a commercial aim. It is not for sale or rent.

Phase 3: Changing world I

=SI=

Part 2

=SI=
Hydra compound
Washington State

The armory was behind a shoved-aside bookshelf. Natasha could see the outlines of Carbines, SMGs, and a couple of shotguns nested behind a metal mesh. An electronic lock smugly shone red at her. She pulled her right arm back and twisted on the ball of her feet. Natasha pulled her whole weight into a palm strike aimed straight at the lock.

She wasn't a particularly tall or muscular woman. The strike should have hurt her arm more than the metal lock. Instead, enhanced flesh, driven by enhanced muscles, slapped against steel. The metal groaned and deformed, yielding to her flesh. A second strike short-circuited the lock. A third one broke it.

Natasha shoved the metal mesh covering the armory wide open and grabbed a Carbine. She threw it at the STRIKE Agent she heard approach, then handed him a couple of magazines. He wasted no time loading the weapon and heading back to the entrance. A pair of explosions shook the house. Ear-piercing cracks made Romanoff's ears ring even as brief, blinding light did its best to burn away the twilight. She ignored the distraction, took the second carbine, loaded it, and grabbed a spare magazine.

Loud gunfire echoed from the entrance. Natasha could hear heavy boots stomping over concrete. She shouldered the weapon and moved as fast as her enhanced body could.

She saw a commando stagger under a barrage of low-caliber bullets yet manage to clear the door before crashing into the wall—a second one charged through, firing precise bursts. A cry of pain came from the right at the same time Natasha shot the commando in the face. The rifle bullets shattered his armored mask. Blood and bone splashed under his helmet, and he went down without a sound.

Natasha saw two cylinders roll over the body and instinctively twisted her head to the side, closing her eyes. The flashbangs scream washed over her, and burning stars danced in front of her eyes. She dove to the ground, seeking cover.

Another explosion shook the house, then a third. A flashbang came through a shattered window just as Natasha's vision cleared. She had a heartbeat to slam her eyes shut before the grenade detonated, bathing her in light and deafening noise. She curled into a ball, hopefully turning herself into a smaller target, then tried to roll back towards the kitchen.

Moments like these highlighted the primary drawback of the enhancing serum the Red Room gave her. Better senses and flashbangs didn't mesh well, even if she was much more resilient than a woman her size had any right to be.

Natasha could sense bullets biting into the floor beside her even as she desperately rolled away while still blind and deaf. All she could see were burning spots, and all she could hear was piercing ringing. Fragments from shattered tiles and perforated wood bounced off her Kevlar suit. A near miss drew a burning stripe over her right thigh. Natasha didn't stop moving until she blindly hit something that vibrated against her back. She still had the carbine and blindly aimed it, cursing the huge bright spots in front of her eyes. Furious blinking did little to help. She saw a shape that might have been moving and pressed the trigger, sending three-round bursts downrange before rolling to the right. There was space between the cupboards in the corner and the counter in the middle of the kitchen. Natasha could feel cracked tiles shift under her weight. Relief flared through her at finding a piece of dubious cover.

Another explosion shook the building moments before Romanoff's eyesight recovered enough to be of use. She peered over the counter, then surged to her feet when she didn't see a target.

Rumlow was still alive but wounded. He sat on the ground on the other side of the counter, pressing his bloody fingers to his side. It was something to deal with only when there were no more commandos trying to kill them.

An armored body was lying in the large corridor between the entrance and the kitchen. A few more blinks cleared some of the white spots out of her sight, and Natasha briskly crept through the house. Her ears still rang, and she couldn't hear a damn thing.

A STRIKE Agent lay in a dark pool of blood, with his back against the wall beside the kitchen's door. An explosion had shredded his armor. Another Agent was dead in the corridor leading deeper into the house. He was the one Natasha gave the other carbine.

Smoke and dust came from a gaping armored door leading to the basement. Stark was there with his kid. If they died, this whole operation would be a complete clusterfuck. Natasha bit off a curse as she charged down the stairs. She had to jump over a few ravaged concrete steps where a grenade had detonated with enough force to shatter concrete.

She first saw two of the STRIKE Agents in the basement. One was down, covered in blood, while the other was busy offering first aid. Next, Natasha froze as her index finger began to close around the trigger. One of the commandos was right there, hanging nearly half a meter above the ground. His body shook, and even if he was with his back turned to her, he was holding his throat and choking. Her hearing returned just in time to hear the unpleasant sound of shattering bones. The commando went limp and then collapsed on the floor like a discarded toy. The next thing Natasha saw was Stark. He was at the far end of the basement. His eyes glowed like molten metal in the twilight, and he had his hand outstretched as if he was imitating Vader.

Natasha slowly lowered her weapon, and Stark dropped his hand to her relief. He gave her a nod and briskly walked towards the STRIKE Agents. Natasha whirled around and ran back upstairs. She found more corpses and, eventually, the rest of the team. They had retreated in the left wing of the house, behind a reinforced wall acting as a bunker with firing slits. She passed one more commando corpse and the body of another STRIKE Agent.

The rest of them were alive if in need of medical attention. May sat on the ground panting, holding her bleeding shoulder. A dead commando had collapsed beside her, leaving a blood trail over the wall.

A wounded STRIKE Agent was bleeding out on a nearby bed. Ward was on his knees, gasping for air over the corpse of the last commando. A glance told Natasha all she needed to know about that – the bastard's head was turned around, facing the ceiling while his body lay frozen in death on its front. Ward turned around to look at her and held his throat. There was no blood, yet his face was twisted in a pained grimace.

"Stark? The girl?" May demanded.

"Both are alive," Natasha reported.

"Good. Those fuckers were good. SHIELD good," May spat and slowly began dragging herself up.

Natasha nodded grimly. "I'll make sure they're all dead and grab first aid kits. Raven, this is Widow. Is the perimeter clear? We have casualties and need immediate medical evacuation."

"Widow, Raven. There's one warm spot in the second SUV to your left. I can see no one else alive outside. Local LEOs and ambulances are on the way. ETA twenty minutes."

Natasha went to the front of the house and used one of the shattered windows to shoot out the remaining lights of the SUVs. Darkness fell in front of the house, and she used its concealment to dash out, seeking targets.

Nothing moved, and no one shot at her. She carefully approached the SUVs and eventually saw a form simply sitting at the back to the one to the far left.

It was Obadiah Stane, and he was dead.

=SI=

Flashing lights bathed the clearing in blue and crimson. State Police troopers stood in small groups, warily looking at the battlefield. At the same time, paramedics did their best to stabilize the wounded for transport to the nearest hospital with a good trauma center.

A van with forensic specialists parked near the barn while CIS agents spoke quietly, waiting for authorization to do their job. Meanwhile, SHIELD was stretching its muscles and doing its best to take jurisdiction and keep the battle as quiet as possible. From what Natasha heard, there was some unexpected pushback on that front.

It wasn't often that SHIELD got exposed in such a way. First, a firefight in front of a school of all things, then the battle for this damn compound.

A flash of fire burned over her leg, and she glanced down at the paramedic disinfecting the graze. Her eyes shot back up and focused on the compound. Stark was at the door, gently carrying a small form bundled in a blanket. The girl looked limp and dead to the world.

Unwelcome memories of the Red Room, of concrete rooms and small cells, flashed through Natasha's mind. For all the bastards did to her and her "sisters," they did threaten them reasonably well, outside certain types of training, like the program to resist interrogation.

Recollections of small cells, freezing water, and electric shocks calibrated to be as painful as possible without causing permanent damage rose unbidden from the back of her mind. A shudder went through her body at the vivid memory. Natasha grimaced and shook her head. It was all in the past! The Red Room was gone, and the people who turned her into a weapon were dead, many by her own hands.

Natasha watched Stark put the girl on a gurney for paramedics to fuss over her.

"Just bandage it, please. My next stop is the hospital anyway." Natasha told the paramedic, still poking her thigh. It was just a flesh wound, one she should be able to heal without issue, even without any medical aid.

Among other things, her light enhancement kept infections and diseases at bay.

Ward walked with two cops to the driver of one of the ambulances, exchanging words. He held a pack of ice to the side of his neck, where one of the commandos had hit him, missing a strike aimed at Ward's throat.

The paramedic finally unpacked a bandage roll and quickly finished patching Natasha's leg. As soon as he finished, she promptly thanked him and jumped from the hood of the SUV she sat on. Without adrenaline rushing through her veins, she could feel the odd aching bruise and a thin line of fire on her leg; it was nothing a good night's sleep couldn't fix.

"Agent," Ward nodded at her and turned back to the ambulance driver and the cops. "As I said, Mr. Stark will need protection if someone else has been hired to go after him. The same goes for his daughter. I'm sure that he can arrange something practical given some time, but right now?" Ward shrugged and nodded at Stark, who hovered protectively near the girl.

"We'll get two units to escort him to the hospital and keep an eye on him. You can give a statement either at the hospital or on the way there." One of the cops offered. "The last thing anyone needs is a shootout in a hospital after everything else that happened today. We should make sure no one thinks it's a good idea."

Huh, that was surprisingly sensible.

"We'll ride with Mr. Stark until the end of the trail where our vehicles are, then follow you," Ward suggested.

It took some haggling, but soon they boarded the ambulance. Ward rode shotgun while Natasha joined Stark, the kid, and a paramedic in the back.

Last edited:
This is really good. I like seeing Ward and May. Will you be using the 'Clairvoyant', his mentor? If Stark could help him with his issue, he might pickup a decent force commander and planner.

This is really good. I like seeing Ward and May. Will you be using the 'Clairvoyant', his mentor? If Stark could help him with his issue, he might pickup a decent force commander and planner.

Garret is a thing. He did briefly speak with Ward in one of the previous updates. The Illuminati faction of Hydra got to him in Saraevo, and thus he and Ward are working for the kind of decent conspiracy group. He would still need help in the long run, that's true.

Phase 3: Changing world I Part 3
Disclaimer: I do not own any movies set up in the Marvel Cinematic Universe or Star Wars movies, cartoons, games, books, or comics. They belong to their respective copyright owners. This story is not created with a commercial aim. It is not for sale or rent.

=SI=

Part 3

=SI=

Shootout and kidnapping in front of a school in Tacoma!

USA Today

Stark Industries ceased weapon production! Company stocks tank! Ripples spread through contractors supplying the US Military!

Financial Times

The conspiracy of the century? Stark Industries implicated in illegal weapons' sale! Law Enforcement Agencies raid Stark Industries properties all across the Country!

LA Today

Federal Agents raid kidnapper's compound! Heavy casualties reported!

Tacoma Daily News

Tony Stark was seen arriving at a Tacoma hospital with a young child and police escort!

US Weekly

=SI=

Seattle Children's Hospital
Washington State, US

When they got to the hospital, there was a police cordon waiting for them, keeping reporters at bay. Someone spilled the beans already, Natasha noted.

That was less than ideal. SHIELD scrubbed as much information and pictures of the Black Widow as possible when she got into the fold. Yet, there were still people and organizations that would recognize precisely who she was if her face got plastered all over the news. She had to either stay in the SUV and make herself scarce the moment she was reasonably sure no one was taking pictures or risk exposure. Well, more exposure.

"Romanoff?" Ward asked. He slowly rotated his neck, and it cracked unpleasantly.

"Fury will have to worry about exposure. Stark's too exposed out here," She looked pointedly at the other Agent. "Those weren't run-of-the-mill mercenaries. If that were the case, they wouldn't have rushed us heedless of the casualties to get the job done."

"I know. They were dedicated and ready to die for the cause, whatever that is."

No one said aloud that the people they fought were as good as a SHIELD Strike team, which were among the best in the world.

Natasha looked out of the side window and glared at the reporters. Her quiet curses made Ward chuckle.

"Let's go." Romanoff got out and headed for the hospital, with Ward following suit. His covert identity as a Homeland Security Agent got them through the police cordon and security.

They soon found Stark leaning on a wall beside a room with its door closed. He was talking with a nurse who was asking questions and taking notes. Stark had his phone open as well.

"I just sent what I can get online on Ms. Robert's medical records to your email," Jarvis announced.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome, Sir. Mr. Rhodes is on a flight to Tacoma and should arrive in a few hours."

"What else can you tell me about the patient, Mr. Stark?"

"Only my observation. She appears to be reasonably well physically, something the paramedics confirmed. Mentally…" Stark growled. "Early today, well yesterday, she saw her grandmother killed, then got kidnapped and shoved in a dinky little cell."

"We'll have a specialist ready to examine Ms. Roberts as soon as we're sure she's physically stable. You request a paternity test to confirm you're her father. Is that right, Mr. Stark?"

"That's correct. No matter the results, I'll be covering all medical expenses. Hannah ended up in this mess because of her possible connection with me."

At those words, Natasha's respect for Stark rose a few notches. The more she saw of him, the less he had in common with the playboy she had read about before heading out to search for him in Afghanistan.

A couple of plain-clothes police officers approached.

"Mr. Stark, Agents… we would require a statement about what happened."

"Agents Ward and Portman, Homeland Security." Ward turned to face the cops. "I'll speak with you first. Then you can talk with my colleague. I'm unsure if Mr. Stark will speak with anyone without a lawyer present. "

"One of my lawyers should be on the way here. We can talk when they're here." Stark offered.

The cops looked at each other and nodded.

"Is there a quiet room we can use?" One of them asked the nurse.

"There's a restroom for security near the entrance. You can ask one of them for directions," The nurse jolted a few more lines on her pad and returned her attention to Stark. "Can you recall anything else that might be important about Ms. Roberts?"

"That's all." He shook his head.

"As far as paternity tests go, we have fast kits that can give us reliable results in a couple of days." The nurse offered and left.

"Are you all right, Mr. Stark?" Natasha asked. She joined him, leaning on the opposite wall.

"I'm as well as I can be under the circumstances."

Natasha noted that his voice was level and calm. His eyes were back to normal as well. There was no trace of the burning fury that literally lit them up in the basement. Strangely enough, Natasha wanted to see that fire again. It was fascinating and stirred something deep in her when thinking about it.

"What do you intend to do about the girl if she's not yours?"

"I might adopt her if she is willing. No matter what, she's likely to be a target from now on." Stark shrugged.

That wasn't something Natasha expected. It was kind of nice.

"It would be far from the first stray I've adopted…." He muttered while his eyes stared at something distant.

The memories he mentioned? As crazy as it sounded, it appeared to be true. Besides, Natasha had seen and heard of odder things like shape-shifting aliens. At any rate, this wasn't the time and place to gather more intelligence on that topic.

An awkward silence followed until the room's door opened, and a doctor in her late forties emerged.

"Mr. Stark, I'm Doctor Franklin. I understand you're the closest thing Ms. Roberts has to a guardian right now?"

Tony nodded.

"Until a paternity test confirms you are her father and you legally take custody of Ms. Roberts if you so desire, there isn't much I can share for obvious reasons. I understand you're willing to cover her medical expenses no matter what?"

"That's true."

"This at least simplifies a few things. I can freely share that Ms. Roberts is physically stable and will recover with some rest. I'll get a nurse to take your contribution in a paternity test. That's all I can do for you right now, Mr. Stark."

"I appreciate it, Doctor."

The woman bid them goodbye and headed up the corridor.

=SI=

A few hours after I got a confirmation that Hannah was physically as good as one could expect, I sat at a table in the hospital's cafeteria, entertaining my two new lawyers.

Hale wasn't happy about my participation in what was, strictly speaking, a law enforcement operation as a civilian. She was on the phone with contacts in Tacoma's Prosecutor's office, trying to figure out if I had to worry about local charges. At least, in theory, I didn't have to worry about Federal ones because of SHIELD.

On the other hand, Trent was trying to explain that Hannah would likely have to end up in local child services care. That would have to last until anyone could hope to straighten up her legal status.

"Mr. Trent, do I need to use small words to explain that no matter if she is my daughter or not, people will be after her either for leverage or to try to hurt me by hurting her? Like it or not, Hannah wouldn't be safe anytime soon without a proper security detail. What would usually happen or should happen in a situation like she is in is of no consequence." I turned my attention to Ward. He watched the exits while sipping a coffee.

Right now, it was Romanoff, well, Portman's turn to speak with the cops.

"Your people want me to work with them. Call who you have to and cut through the bloody red tape. I am sure my lawyers would be happy to cooperate."

"Mr. Stark, I must warn you that this is most irregular, and can have potential legal consequences." Hale pointed out.

"That's why I have the best lawyers money can buy working for me."

Last edited:
I can just see that report about Stark Force-choking some SHIELD agents who decided to go traitor will get quite a few raised eyebrows. "Dart Stark" rumours?

...and Natasha privately really liking the thought.

Remove the red part
two cylinder roll over the
cylinders
even as he desperately rolled
she
Memories of small cells, freezing water, and electric shocks calibrated to be as painful as possible without causing permanent damage flashed through Natasha's mind.
This is too much like the previous one. Maybe replace 'Memories' with 'Recollections' and 'flashed through Natasha's mind' with 'rose unbidden from the back of her mind'?
Huh, that was surprisingly sensible.
Ah The joys of this being an IRL scenario rather then a movie where the cops would be confrontational/obstructionist for the sake of drama
as a Homeward Security Agent got
Homeland
He joined him, leaning on the opposite wall.
She
hours after, I got a confirmation
Remove the comma.

Phase 3: Changing world I Part 4

=SI=

Part 4

=SI=

Seattle Children's Hospital
Washington State, US

"Tony, are you all right?" Rhodey demanded, deadly serious.

I made a so-so gesture and sipped yet another cup of coffee. Getting through days without sleep was an old hand by now. The last two days were a whirlwind of tedious and vital issues.

To my utter lack of surprise, the local cops were not thrilled with a shootout in front of a school, much less an all-out battle in the woods near Tacoma. Hale did earn her pay by getting them out of my hair so I could focus on more pressing matters. SHIELD wasn't happy either, as explained by Mr. Agent, who also joined the party. Coulson was still masquerading as Homeland Security, making me wonder if that organization wasn't little more than an official cover for SHIELD.

Speaking about the SHIELD agents, they were still around, trying to be an inconspicuous security detail.

"The results will be ready soon. Then, either way, I will have some paperwork to deal with and balls to get rolling. I can rest after that. I also would have to call Pepper, so she would know what statement to give the vultures camped outside.

In practice, all that would change depending on the result would be the amount of red tape that would have to burn. A few quiet large donations to the right organizations suddenly got both Tacoma and State officials eager to smooth certain things over. That was no real surprise. It was just that, as Tony, I had never thought about the implications. They were odd for two reasons – figuring out that the US government, especially on the state and local level, could be somewhat corrupt was one stress point. Second, it was a bit odd to have my money talk much louder than my reputation.

Tony Stark was obscenely wealthy and famous. People still believed me to be a playboy and a drunk who spent his time fornicating with anything female and good-looking. Having such a reputation now was in equal parts bemusing and infuriating. The implication that even the US government is this corrupt sinking in reinforced my belief that democracy couldn't correctly work beyond the small scale.

"We'll get you through this, Tones. You aren't alone."

"I know that now. Thanks, Rhodey." I looked up from my coffee cup. "The security situation?"

"My contacts came through. There are some vetted retired combat veterans ready for interviews. They had experience in Afghanistan and Iraq primarily. At least a few of them are retired special forces of various stripes."

"That's good." It also meant more work for me. I would also need to check with legal how to best legally set up my future security detail. Perhaps a PMC under SI's aegis? "Do you know why the FBI aren't my greatest fans as of late?"

"Nothing concrete. People noticed it and commented on it, that's all. Perhaps one of the Directors or someone in the Administration has an ax to grind with you or SI?" Rhodey suggested. "I hear Hammer's making overtures to try and replace all the production lost by you shutting down the plants."

"Those plants were going to get shut down for the investigation anyway. Besides, don't tell me your colleagues want to rely on Hammer's crap? That will kill people as sure as if someone blew them up with my weapons."

"Hammer's trying to offer bargain prices." Rhodey gave a 'what can you do' look.

"Because no one with standards would buy his crap otherwise. Remind me to focus on developing new armor, so we would still have a military if anyone's crazy enough to procure Hammer's junk."

"You're less of a fan than you were before, and that's saying a lot, Tones." Rhodey's lips quirked into a small smile.

"Don't get me started on cheap bastards shoving crap equipment to the military!" I gave him a pointed look.

Rhodey stared at me for long moments, then his eyebrows raised, and he slowly nodded.

"Ah, that. We'll speak later about it, then?"

"If you want stories, I can give you stories." I sipped my cooling coffee.

A nurse entered the cafeteria, looked around, and headed our way. She carried a stack of folders in her hands.

"Mr. Stark, the results are ready." She offered me the top paper.

"I have many talents. However, being an expert on genetics isn't one of them."

"Congratulations, you're a father." She said quietly and offered me an encouraging smile.

"Thank you." I nodded and opened the folder, using the distraction to gather my thoughts.

The emotions I felt were certainly nothing like I've experienced before as Tony. It brought into focus what has been gone for a very long time, alongside longing and an empty void in my chest where my family used to be.

The Force sang around in jubilation and yet reverberated with a sense of loss and longing matching my own.

I pointedly focused on the file in my hands. First, I saw a printed comparison between DNA markers and other 'dirty' wet science spelled over multiple printouts. Give me good old physics and engineering every day.

The important piece was at the back of the folder, confirming the close relation of one degree—parent and child or siblings. Hannah couldn't be my sister for obvious reasons, leaving only one conclusion, which someone had bothered to write in plain English with a red marker.

"Well, this means there's less red tape to deal with now."

"Yes, Mr. Stark. You have some forms to sign up that our lawyers and yours prepared just in case." She nodded at the stack of folders in her hands.

"Can I finally know more about my daughter's condition?"

"You have to deal with the paperwork first, Mr. Stark. I didn't make the rules or the laws." She just had to be reasonable, didn't she?

"Give them here, please." I drained my coffee and took the folders.

The nurse gave me another smile and headed toward a nearby vending machine.

"So it's a girl. Congratulations Tones!" Rhodey patted my shoulder happily.

"It's always girls. Or girls who are warships." I muttered without thinking.

"What?" Rhodey stared owlishly.

"Not here and now, but yes." I nodded and then focused on the files.

=SI=

I had to go over and sign a tall stack of papers before everything was said and done. Trent left to notarize and file in much of that paperwork with the relevant agencies. That meant that Hannah officially was my daughter, in a kind-of-sort-of way. Paperwork had to be filled in and processed first.

In practice, as far as the hospital was concerned, I was Hannah's father now. I'm sure a donation large enough to build them a new wing had nothing to do with that. Nope.

Hannah was curled in a large bed covered in sparkling white sheets, still paying no attention to the world at large. I sat on a chair near her bed while a specialist droned on and on. 'Only time could help with such a trauma. The mind was a curious and resilient thing, yet it had its limits....' Blah, blah. He said nothing that I didn't already know.

Instead of paying him more attention, I dived into the Force and observed Hannah. Her life force was all right – it sparkled healthily. There was nothing out of the ordinary in that regard. Her emotions, on the other hand, screamed at me. Terror, denial, loss – they all mixed in a poisonous cocktail. I leaned forward and put my hand on her shoulder, right over the image of a prancing unicorn. Trying to project your emotions to someone who wasn't a Force Adept and you didn't have a Force bond with was still possible but complicated. It was more challenging when you wanted to do it as anything but an attack on their mind.

The Force buzzed and engulfed Hannah like a blanket, whispering of warmth and safety. I kept it going until the energy in me almost drained, then cut it off. I leaned back, enjoying the pleasant sensation of the Force slowly bubbling within my veins and filling my cells with energy.

For what it was worth, I could sense my efforts took the edge of fear Hannah felt. Even better, this was a far cry from the terror gripping her two days ago.

Last edited:
could be somewhat corrupt was one stress point
Isn't that kind of expected? Any organisation large enough will be somewhat corrupt which is simply a fact and neither Veil or Tony are the type of person to gripe about an unavoidable fact. For this to make sense you need to up the scale from just 'somewhat'
in Afghanistan and Iraq primary
primarily
a 'what can you do look.
Missing an ' after 'do'
Congratulations! Tones.
Remove the dot and move the exclamation mark in its place.
now I was Hannah's father.
move 'now' to after 'was'
a large donation large enough
Remove the first 'large'

Isn't that kind of expected? Any organisation large enough will be somewhat corrupt which is simply a fact and neither Veil or Tony are the type of person to gripe about an unavoidable fact. For this to make sense you need to up the scale from just 'somewhat'
snip

It's not a big deal. It's just that, before Tony wouldn't have noticed or cared about any implications. And for the Sith in him, this is yet another proof cementing his belief that democray can only properly work on a small scale.

Back