I don't know, I've got mixed feelings about this episode. It felt a lot more ham fisted than most of the other episodes and I didn't find it as funny as the others.

I don't know why that is, I'll probably have to think on it longer.
I don't think this one was meant to be nearly as funny. It focused much more on the "improve the writing of the plot and characters" aspect of this Abridged Series than on the humor.

Honestly one of the things I loved was all the callback jokes, like seriously, I respect the hell out of that kind of forward planning.

Like the Tron thing is obvious, but then we get stuff like the Tutorial NPC disappearing (remember him?) and the mafia guy, and heck, Kayaba's response to someone sassing him being murder with a "You're dead" (Remember Rossalia?) and probably others, I loved that.

Plus the explanation was hilarious.

I liked it. A lot of it was less funny than the other episodes, but I think a lot of that was unavoidable.

Ultimately, this is the story of SAO. You can make the line that takes you from the beginning to the end squiggly and fun and can mess with lots of things along the way. And that's the great thing about an abridged series. But you do have to arrive at the ending. A lot that an early episode might have brutally subverted or made into a joke has to be engaged with head-on, because you are out of wiggle room. This is how the season ends. Kirito has to fight Kayaba. Kirito has to have a weird conversation in weird digital not-heaven with Kayaba. Kirito has to wake up in a hospital and go "WHERE IS MY WAIFU?"

That being said, I was surprised how much of that worked for me when I actually found the characters involved endearing.

I honestly don't know if they should continue to season 2. SOA sure shouldn't have. Though honestly this show has totally replaced canon in my mind so maybe they can be a bit better.

they did a better job on the emotions then the orginal thats for sure.

I honestly don't know if they should continue to season 2. SOA sure shouldn't have. Though honestly this show has totally replaced canon in my mind so maybe they can be a bit better.
look at it this way. several episodes of Asuna insaulting and snarking out the creepester culminating in her and Kirito double teaming him till he breaks down and lets Kirito slaughter him.

edit: wait your talking about SAO2 not the next arc. well we would get to see their take on Sinion.

Honestly, one thing I would really like to see covered by the abridged series is Kirito turning into Gleam Eyes and eating a guy.

Re watching the episode really makes me feel for Kayaba, guys life sure was a tragedy

Honestly, one thing I would really like to see covered by the abridged series is Kirito turning into Gleam Eyes and eating a guy.

Yeah, my hope is her being a bit psychotic and rather than being traumatic over the killing and guns is a lunatic so we can have a moment when they argue and it is like,

"Bitch I kill people!"

"So what, me too, I stabbed people for two years, you wanna go!"

You know... Leafa has the perfect chance here to be the 'asshole know it all' that Kirito was at the start of SAO, I feel that could maybe be kind of fun XD

Yeah, there were some slow bits, and some less than stellar bits, but overall? This episode made my cold, shriveled heart feel real human emotions, especially the last little bit with Kirito and Asuna. Which is quite a feat, given the source material.

Also, Klein was endearing as fuck. Love that guy.

Back