Ring-Maker [Worm/Lord of the Rings Alt-Power] [Complete]

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
This'd work if I wasn't trying to do the whole "show, don't tell" thing. The arrows are fine as they are; having her suddenly use them is a nice moment in the chapter. I'll probably add a sentence into the chapter about the timeskip.
The arrows are fair. Mentioning in passing that the bow was crafted during the downtime is not skimping on "show, don't tell," though; you're already not showing that it was crafted. I was guessing she'd made it, but wondering if I'd missed her mentioning doing so in a prior chapter.

That should satisfy to make clear the timeskip.
It should!

I have a guess as to whom the black arrow is meant for...

Vista might be squeeing internally at how mature and professional she seems now, except that her new ring probably also reduces her desire to make such an undignified celebration. Probably thinking very mature and professional thoughts about how good it is for mature and professional types like her to be respected and give respect in turn, etc etc. :V

Self-aware Sophia is enjoyable but comically dissonant. I did a double-take every time she spoke.

His power is just that he has the ideal human body as far as he's concerned, right? If so, how is that different from Quinton's (the guy who got the other half of Echidna's).
The guy you're thinking of is named Oliver, not Quinton, and his power is that his body, appearance, and skills change to match his constantly-changing ideals. Lithos has already explained Browbeat's power.

The OP has been modified to include information on the Seven, as well as on all the artifacts Annatar has made or mentioned in this story, both canonical and original.

Interlude 4a: Lisa
Many thanks to @dwood15, @Fenrisulfr, @Technetium43, @fabledFreeboota, and @Assembler for betareading.

Many thanks to @MugaSofer for fact checking.

-x-x-x-​

Tattletale took her seat between Circus and Labyrinth in a booth in Somer's Rock, Faultline leaning against the wall beside their table.

Coil was already there, Bitch in a seat behind and to his right. That wasn't exactly Coil's style; he usually came to such meetings alone, as a show of the professional detachment between him and his subordinates. Brought her here to get to me. And to cement her loyalty.

From the moment Tattletale entered, the girl's eyes had been locked on her. What little was visible of her face was twisted into a snarl.

Thinks I've betrayed her. Knows Coil was our boss. Has been promised something for assisting him. Support? Something related to her dogs?

She glanced then at the man himself. Coil's features were totally obscured under his black bodysuit—but that was little defense.

First, his posture. Strict, practiced. Disciplined, tight. Too tight. Slightly nervous. Not like Coil. Is not Coil. Body double—fairly accurate one.

Next, his physique. His ribs were showing under his costume, as always, as was his musculature. Not much more muscular than the real Coil, but more practiced. Has military training. Paid help. Mercenary.

Another glance back at Bitch. She was, if not relaxed, then at least not on edge. Familiar. Believes this to be the authentic Coil.

Well. Wasn't that interesting? Could exploit her trust issues to turn her against Coil.

Abruptly Lisa felt—not ashamed, but perhaps a little sad. She and Rachel had never been friends, but they had been teammates, not even a week ago. And now she was trying to figure out how to exploit Rachel's social weaknesses?

…All the same. Something to bring up with Faultline later.

Tattletale looked over at the other team already present. Kaiser sat at the head of the long table, his posture impeccable, his hands folded neatly on the table in front of him. Nonetheless, she could see the miniscule twitching of his fingers, and of his head as his eyes darted about under his helmet.

Is on edge. Meeting is high-stakes. More is on the table than Bakuda. Intends to bring secondary issue to the table. Considers ideal outcome very good; worst-case very bad.

Behind him sat several of the Empire—Purity, Krieg, Night, Fog, Fenja, Menja, and Hookwolf.

Purity, next. Her posture was stiff. Her hands very carefully kept unclenched. Her neck was stiff, keeping her face carefully turned just slightly away from her boss. Hates being here. Hates Kaiser. Is attracted to Kaiser. Is ashamed of being here.

Night and Fog were almost identical. Both held themselves very deliberately, in perfect control of their bodies, and those bodies were positioned around Purity, almost as bodyguards. Sociopath. Is loyal to Purity. Is pleased to be here. Is pleased by what that means, in a larger sense.

Krieg was next, seated on behind Kaiser and to his left. Is loyal to Kaiser. Is present at Kaiser's request. Tattletale didn't bother probing further—Krieg was a simple man. Fenja and Menja were little different.

Hookwolf was a surprise. His jaw was clenched, and his mask was turned in one direction unwaveringly. Is angry to see Bitch. Is angry at Coil. Wants to interfere with the meeting. Has Kaiser's approval to do so.

That might be interesting.

"Anything?" Faultline asked out of the corner of her mouth.

"Bitch hates me," Tattletale whispered back. "That's not the real Coil. Hookwolf is pissed at Bitch for something. He's going to interfere; Kaiser will let him. Kaiser has something besides Bakuda he wants to talk about."

Faultline didn't seem to move, but Tattletale glanced at her. Understands. "You want to make any kind of move on Bitch?"

"Not now," said Tattletale.

"All right."

At that moment, the Merchants entered. Tattletale's gaze settled on Skidmark. The man's gait was very slightly unsteady, but his hands were still—and held into loose fists.

Suffering neurological decay due to methamphetamine addiction. Knows he is not welcome here. Here to gather intelligence on Empire and ABB movements more than to assist with Bakuda.

Then Squealer. She was even more wobbly than her boss, but made a clear effort to hide it. Her jaw, visible under her visor, worked slightly as if in annoyance.

Is intoxicated. Suffering decay in multiple organs due to multiple addictions. Does not understand why Merchants are here. Would rather be tinkering.

Mush was last. He was the most stable on his feet, but even he swayed ever so slightly as he walked. His posture was firm and upright, in contrast with both of his teammates.

Is intoxicated. Suffering neurological and endocrine decay due to various addictions. Does not understand why Merchants are here. Trusts Skidmark implicitly.

So, Skidmark keeps his lieutenants dosed up, but makes sure to be clear-headed himself? Wonder what the logic is there. Or maybe they're just less strong-willed than he is.

"Skidmark's the only sober one," Tattletale whispered. "He doesn't want to help with Bakuda; he's here to spy."

Faultline nodded imperceptibly.

Kaiser kicked over a chair as Skidmark tried to sit at the table. Tattletale watched the brewing power play with some interest.

"The fuck?" Expected something like this. Anger isn't feigned, but is deliberately allowed to show.

Huh. Skidmark is less of an idiot than I thought. Something to bear in mind.

"You can sit in a booth." Calculated power play. Isn't actually invested in the Merchants one way or the other.

"This is because I'm black, huh?" Knows it isn't. Knows Kaiser isn't genuinely especially racist. "That's what you're all about, yeah?"

"You can sit in a booth because you and your team are pathetic, deranged scum who aren't worth talking to." Is getting genuinely annoyed with the waste of time now. "The people at this table? I don't like them, but I'll listen to them." Meaning he wants to size up the competition and find weaknesses. "That isn't the case with you."

At that moment the door opened. Tattletale glanced over. The man wore a black costume, with a red mask and top hat. His teammates followed him in, all of them clad in the same red and black. There was a girl with a sun emblem on her chest, a guy clad in heavy-looking armor, and a… creature of some kind, like a four-armed, hairless gorilla, with six-inch claws tipping each of its fingers and toes. Even it wore the red and black of its team, on a vest, mask, and leggings.

The leader looked more at ease than anyone else in the room. His body was loose and his posture unruffled. Here by request. Doesn't care about Bakuda. Doesn't care about any of the people in this room. His team excepted? Doesn't care about Brockton Bay.

The girl and the guy both looked more tense in the torso and legs than their leader. Their arms were slightly looser. Don't trust their leader. Don't much like being here. Think it's necessary?

The creature was harder. Although its body language approximated that of a human, its body was inhuman and thus the 'translation' was a bit garbled. Case 53? The tension in its fingers, ankles, and neck gave some information. Doesn't trust leader. Doesn't like leader. Doesn't think being here is wise. Doing it for other members of team?

Lisa tore her gaze away from the newcomers as their leader spoke. "I'll be taking a chair, I think."

"The Travelers, yes?" the Coil double said smoothly. Tattletale looked at him. "You're not local." Was aware they were coming. Travelers are here at Coil's request. Here in Coil's employ. His replacement for the Undersiders?

Tattletale couldn't hold in the slight wince as her head twinged in the very early stages of a thinker headache. That was no surprise—her power saw the most use before the beginning of such a meeting. There was a lot to gain by making sure she knew something about everyone else at the table before they started talking.

"You could call us nomadic. What was happening here was too interesting to pass up, so I decided we'd stop by for a visit." Almost all lies. Nomadic is misdirection. Lost? "I go by Trickster."

Faultline glanced at Tattletale.

"Coil," she mouthed.

Faultline nodded and then pushed off the wall, taking a seat among the other villains.

"Seems we've been replaced," said Circus lowly into Tattletale's ear. Slightly bitter, slightly vindictive.

Tattletale scanned the 'nomadic' villains briefly. "Not quite," she whispered. "They don't have a thinker."

Circus looked at her pityingly. "I think Coil has thinkering covered," she said dryly.

Tattletale looked away.

"There are two things I'd like to discuss tonight," said Kaiser. "First, of course, the ABB."

"This isn't sustainable for them. Bakuda is unhinged. Forty-three dead and over a hundred hospitalized in the past week, and no sign of slowing." Not-Coil shook his head. "I know your northern territory is under threat, Kaiser." Deliberately pointing out weakness.

"We have lost some ground," Kaiser admitted easily. Knows Coil is trying to set him off balance. "We will take it back once the situation is controlled—but I think we can all agree that the situation must be controlled?"

Faultline shrugged. "I'm a mercenary," she said. "I don't hold territory. It's really no skin off my back what Bakuda does, so long as she's not stupid enough to fuck with me and mine."

"Surely this sort of chaos can't be good for your business?" Kaiser asked. "After all, if no one can pay you, what business do you have?"

"I didn't start in Brockton Bay," said Faultline. "I've got no pressing reason to finish here."

"You would be willing to assist with the situation if you were paid, of course?" not-Coil asked smoothly. He really was a very good impostor.

"Of course," Faultline said, sounding offended. As she continued, Tattletale blinked at the sound of footsteps on the wooden stairs outside. Two individuals. One lighter, smaller feet. Woman. The other larger and heavier—a man. Young? "I don't like seeing the city getting blown up, but getting involved in other people's problems for free is bad for business."

"In that case," a voice said as the door opened, "we would like to hire your services."

Everyone turned.

Miss Militia stepped inside, her eyes darting from mask to mask. Hates being here. Feels it is necessary. Willing to compromise, willing to negotiate. Considers everyone in this room contemptible.

Behind her, the Ward Aegis slipped in and closed the door. Tattletale glanced at him. Saw the clenched jaw under the mask and the hard light in his eyes. Annoyed. Doesn't think he should be here. Despises this place, despises the people here. Willing to go along with it. Unafraid, confident. Isn't worried about being surrounded. Recently gained new… power? Powers?

Tattletale glanced at Faultline, who was staring her down. "Careful of Aegis," she mouthed, moving her lips clearly.

Faultline gave another of her imperceptible nods and then turned back to the heroes.

"This is… unexpected." Kaiser's voice was hard, but its pitch was marginally higher than usual. Covering uncertainty. Did not expect heroes. Directly counters plans of his.

"But not unwelcome. Come, Miss Militia, take a seat," said not-Coil, beckoning. "We were just getting started." Expected this. Knows this counters Kaiser's plans. Leveraging it to set Kaiser on edge.

"I'll stand," retorted Miss Militia, her voice hard, even as she approached the table. Refusing to associate herself more than necessary. "I notice the ABB isn't here?"

Coil's impostor nodded. "That's hardly a surprise. It amounts to little more than an endorsement by Lung of Bakuda's… behavior."

"It's a statement of intent," Kaiser said. "Lung does not intend to negotiate. He has fully committed to this mad scheme." Is genuinely disgusted, but is emphasizing it for presentation.

"And the Protectorate intends to answer in kind. That is why, even though Aegis and I would love to arrest every last one of you, we would like to propose a truce." Miss MIlitia spat the word out like bile. "We cannot bring our full force to bear against the ABB if we are simultaneously forced to patrol every other section of the city."

"And we cannot bring our full force to bear against them if we are worried about you heroes attacking our assets in transit," said Kaiser coolly. Genuinely happy about the offer. Affecting condescension for the benefit of his followers. "I would consider a truce."

"As would I. Have you any specific terms?" Coil's voice was smooth and quick. Deliberately giving ground to Miss Militia because she unsettles Kaiser.

"Yes," said the hero. "Your people will commit no large-scale crime until the situation with Bakuda is under control."

"Agreed," said Coil instantly. "None of us can spare the resources at this time."

"No," Kaiser agreed after a moment. "No, we can't. Agreed. Any other conditions?" Feels that he's weakening his position by entertaining Miss Militia's offer. A glance at Coil, and the faint stretching of his mask that belied an underlying smile. Is deliberately forcing Kaiser to compromise to put him on edge. Damn, this was a great impostor. Lisa was impressed.

"No," said Miss Militia darkly. "But understand: if we see your people committing crimes on the street, we will still stop them. We just won't be actively hunting you down. That's all that changes." Feels unsettled by the concession. Is not in support of this plan. Ordered by superiors. Armsmaster?

"Well, I certainly have better things to do than small-time robberies at the moment," said Coil dryly. "Bakuda must be stopped. Surely you agree, Kaiser."

Kaiser didn't answer for a moment. "Of course," he said at length. Feels weakened by conceding to Coil. "In the same vein, however—if you send your heroes into my territory, or pursue the Empire's activities while Bakuda is being handled, expect us to respond… in kind."

Miss Militia chuckled dryly. "So, a 'truce' in the sense that no one wants to start an altercation?" she asked dryly. "We can do that." Is pleased. Feels freed by the specific terms of the 'truce'?

"Good," said Coil. "Now, you are all aware of Bakuda's… unusual method of recruitment?"

"Implanted bombs," said Miss Militia. "Yes. We recently retrieved further intelligence on the topic. Bakuda has been implanting even established ABB members with bombs. They are manually activated, but we do not know the range at which she can arm them."

"Do you have any information on their blast radius or other effects?" Kaiser asked. "Are they traditional explosives, or is she implanting some of her more exotic creations?"

"We have no information on that."

"I do," said Faultline coolly, with a wink at Tattletale. "A thinker in my employ believes Bakuda uses specialized explosives for implantation, but is unlikely to use any with a larger blast radius than a standard high explosive grenade. She believes such bombs would be more useful to Bakuda in other ways."

"Ah," said Coil, chuckling. "I see you are getting some mileage out of Tattletale."

"What can I say?" Tattletale called from the booth. "Faultline gives great dental."

Bitch growled from her spot beside Coil, but otherwise did not move. Her eyes had not moved from Tattletale for more than a few moments throughout the entire meeting.

"Speaking of the former Undersiders," said one of the Empire capes—Hookwolf. "Your lapdog's been causing me trouble, Coil. She's been fucking with my business."

"Yes," said Coil dryly. "A dogfighting ring. Quite stupid of you to have a dogfighting ring in territory patrolled by a dog master, wouldn't you agree?" Knew this was coming. Prepared for it. Leveraging Hookwolf's issue into a weakening of Kaiser's position.

"Doesn't matter what it was!" said Hookwolf furiously. "She fucked with my stuff, got away free, and now you have the gall to ask us for a truce—"

"Do you really think your petty, ill-conceived business has any bearing on our alliance?" Coil asked. "Do you really think your dogfights are more important than the rest of Kaiser's collective assets in the face of Bakuda?" Coil shook his head in fake amusement. "Kaiser, you really should control your men. Or at least teach them a sense of perspective."

"You—"

"Hookwolf," said Kaiser sharply. "Enough. Your dogfights can be dealt with another time." Furious. Multiple targets. Coil—weakening his position, trivializing Hookwolf's issue. Hookwolf—pushing when the issue was deflected. Himself—allowing Hookwolf to bring the issue up.

Hookwolf gritted his teeth but didn't answer.

"If we've stooped to talking about which crimes are worth more to the criminals, then I think my presence is no longer required. We will be launching an offensive into ABB territory tonight," Miss Militia told the villains. "If you wish to assist, we'd appreciate advance notice. I'm sure you understand."

"Naturally," said Coil. "I will see if I can rally any of my men to assist you. Thank you for your time, Miss Militia."

Miss Militia nodded sharply. "Faultline," she said. "We will be contacting you shortly regarding payment. Expect a call sometime today."

"Looking forward to it," Faultline replied. "Always nice to wear a white hat for a change." Sincere, but affecting disdain. Tattletale almost laughed.

Miss Militia snorted and turned on her heel. "Let's go, Aegis," she said.

The Ward followed the Protectorate cape out the door, slamming it shut behind him.

"Well, unless anyone has further issues to bring up, I think I shall follow them out." Kaiser stood easily, carefully walking the line between too fast and too slow. "The major issues appear to have been dealt with." Is lying. Wanted to bring up another issue. Can't now. Something to do with the heroes?

"If you're sure there's nothing else you'd like to discuss," Coil replied with a nod. Knows what Kaiser wanted to talk about. Feels accomplished that he can't. The whole conversation, putting Kaiser off-balance—all to keep him from reaching this topic now.

Tattletale narrowed her eyes.

"What's up?" Circus asked.

"Kaiser wanted to talk about something else," she said. "And Coil didn't want to let him. Something to do with the heroes."

"Any idea what it was?"

Tattletale closed her eyes. "Not yet," she said.

Aegis—new powers. Kaiser—concerned about something to do with heroes. Coil—doesn't want it brought up. Wants to avoid putting anyone on alert. Can leverage it.

Source of Aegis' new powers. Annatar.

Lisa sighed.

"Got something?" asked Alex.

"Coil being interested in a parahuman is a good sign that they're worth paying attention to, right?"

"I'd say, yeah."

"Fuck."

-x-x-x-​

Please consider donating to my Patreon.

Last edited:
I'll consider it, definitely. If I can find a way to do it that I don't think compromises flow, I'll add it.
Not to dogpile you or anything, but do keep in mind anything you add or leave out of the the story that makes the reader stop and ask themselves if they've missed entire chapters compromises the flow of the story.

Again not to be mean or anything, but you were just coming off as incredibly dismissive of people rightly pointing out that you'd skipped over literally chapters worth of off screen activity with no mention of it anywhere in the text while expecting the readers to apparently keep up with the changes wrought by those off screen actions.
Your changes certainly help, but there's still a lot of room for improvement with this chapter regarding the whole bow/elf-warrior issues.

Sheen 4.2
Many thanks to @dwood15, @Technetium43, @fabledFreeboota, and @Assembler for betareading.

-x-x-x-​

Wards HQ was empty, besides me. On one wall, the TV was playing an ongoing newscast, covering the ongoing bombing spree. I sat on the right-hand side of the leather, three-seat couch across from it, one elbow propped up on the armrest. My water bottle, half full, sat on the coffee table by my left arm.

"The bombings have slowed in recent days, but still continue largely unimpeded. Brockton Bay's hospitals report—"

My eyes were closed, my head resting on my fists as I let the anchor's voice wash over me.

The elevator opened. I glanced over without raising my head from its perch on my hands. Carlos stepped out, fully done up in mask and costume.

"How'd it go?" I asked.

He let out a sigh. "Villains," he said, ripping off his mask. "Where are the others?"

"Chris is in the workshop, Sophia's taking a nap, Dean and Sam are both out somewhere, and I think Missy's at home."

"—night, the offices of the local software firm BayMobile were struck by a tinkertech explosive, which—"

"All right." Carlos took a seat on the couch beside me and stretching his arms out to his sides, resting on the sofa's upper cushions. "We don't need to assemble yet, but we'll need them all to come in tonight."

"We're attacking?"

"Yes—in conjunction with the Protectorate and Faultline's Crew. We're going for Über and Leet's base while Faultline and the Protectorate make a two-pronged attack onto ABB territory. They're going to be looking for Bakuda while we hold off her support."

I grimaced. "I'd hoped to fight her."

"We all did," Carlos said, a wry smile crossing his features. "The important part is that she gets taken down."

"—no injuries, as the building was empty; however, employees report that overtime is common at the firm and—"

"We can't leave the Rig and PRT HQ undefended this time," I said. "What if she decides to hit us at home while we're out looking for her?"

"I know. That's why we're keeping at least two capes at both locations. One Protectorate hero on console at the Rig, one Ward on console here, and at least one hero to support each."

"Have you decided who's staying here?"

Carlos shook his head. "I was hoping you had ideas. We need a cape who can hold their own, but who won't be as useful as the others storming a tinker's workshop."

I sighed.

"What?"

"Think about it. Sophia's no good on defense, so she's out. Sam's best on support; he's not a powerhouse on his own. Same with Dennis, Dean, and Chris. And the assault team will need Vista."

"So, you or me."

"—police investigation of the tinker responsible suggests that the agency responsible is the local gang know as the ABB, or Azn—"

I nodded. "And they'll need you in the field," I said. "They need a leader."

"You can lead. They—we—all trust you."

I shook my head. "I can get them to follow, yeah," I said. "But I don't know my way around a battlefield yet. It's just a matter of experience, but you saw how the fight at the bank went. Piggot tore me apart after that."

"Yeah, but I also saw how the fight on the Rig went," Carlos argued. "You know what you're doing."

"I know what I'm doing when it's just me. I know how I work, I know how to use my skills and tools effectively." I shrugged. "Good for me, but I can't lead a team into battle. Not yet—I'll get there. For now, though, we need someone who already knows what they're doing."

"—Protectorate had apprehended the villain 'Lung' earlier this month, but last Sunday he—"

Carlos looked into his hands as the TV droned in the background. The golden light of Laureya shone from his finger and reflected into his eyes. After a lengthy pause, he said, "You're right. I don't like having to attack their base without you, but you're right."

"I'll still be there," I said, nudging him. "I'll be on console, after all."

"—the heroes can't keep prisoners in check, how can we—"

In a burst of motion Carlos stood up and slapped the table, dislodging my water bottle and sending it rolling onto the floor.

"Fuck this guy," he muttered, vaulting over the coffee table and turning off the TV manually.

"I had the remote," I offered, holding it up from where it had sat nestled against my side.

He looked over at me, his jaw clenched. After a moment, he sighed, tension bleeding out of his frame. "I'm just…." He stopped, shook his head. "I'm so tired of this. We're trying. Can't they see we're trying?"

I shrugged and shook my head as I said, "They really don't get it."

"No. No, they don't. You'd really think I'd be used to it by now."

"Why should you be? The people you're trying to protect are too busy questioning you to notice how much you're doing for them. That's grounds to get annoyed, I'd say."

Carlos turned away, resting his head against the wall. "It's grounds," he agreed, his voice slightly muffled. "It's definitely grounds. But getting annoyed there? That's how half the heroes-turned-villains get started."

"You're not a villain, Carlos. You're not even close."

"I know." He shoved off the wall and turned back to face me. "Because I don't allow myself to ask questions like those. I don't allow myself to get annoyed with them. I'm sorry I broke down like this. The villains just… got to me."

I shook my head. "You're a hero because you care about the people who can't protect themselves," I said. "No matter how annoyed with them you get, you won't stop caring."

"You don't know that."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "I gave you Laureya, didn't I?"

He glanced away.

I continued when he didn't answer. "The Ring of the Sun. I told you, it's more than just a tool. It's a part of you now."

"I know. It's a responsibility."

"And the means to fulfill that responsibility."

"Yeah. I—"

His phone chimeda text. He pulled it out of his pocket, checked it. "Armsmaster wants me at the Rig. We're going to plan the operation tonight."

"Good luck."

He smiled at me—a frail, wan expression, wavering even as it appeared and vanishing quickly. "I'll tell them you'll take console," he said. "Can you get the others to meet at the Rig in about an hour and a half?"

"Definitely."

"Thanks. See you there."

-x-x-x-​

The setting sun cast a flickering light over the uneven surface of the ocean. It shone in through the east-facing window, glittering like a hoard of gold. A faint band of pale cloud hung just above the horizon, out to sea, and beneath their shadow the night had already fallen. The sky was deepening into darker blues and purples in the east, even as light still shone on the water from the west. The long shadow of the Rig cast an imposing silhouette upon the waves, its edges shuddering slightly on the shifting water.

On the carpet behind my seat, Vista paced back and forth, her eyes alternating between the ocean and the map of the Bay on the wall. Clockblocker sat on my left, leaning back in his chair and looking up at the ceiling. Sophia was on my right, polishing one of her crossbows. Gallant drummed his fingers on the polished wood of the long table, and Browbeat sat perfectly still beside him.

Kid Win was finishing a project in the workshop—he'd asked us to fill him in later.

"Where are they?" Vista exploded, her voice cutting into the evening silence like a knife. "The clock's ticking!"

"Planning, I'd assume," said Sophia, her voice a deadpan monotone.

"Well, what's taking them so long?"

"Vista, it's all right. Come sit down," Gallant said. "We've got time."

Vista took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. "Yeah," she sighed. "Yeah, I—sorry. I'm just—pent up, you know?"

"We all get it," he said as she came and sat beside him. "We all feel the same."

"Waiting for a fight is the worst," Sophia chimed in.

Vista grunted an agreement and leaned back against her chair, eyes closing. Quiet fell across the table.

"Oh, hey, I've got one," said Clockblocker, suddenly breaking the silence.

"One what?" I asked after a moment. The fact that no one else spoke up should probably have warned me.

"What do aliens do before a fight?" he asked.

"What?"

"Planet."

There was a round of groans, and Vista's forehead met the table with a resounding clunk. My head turned slowly to stare at him. He stared back, his face hidden behind his mask.

"No," I said. "Bad Clockblocker."

"Plenty more where that came from." He was laughing as he spoke.

"Please no."

At that moment, the door across from us opened. Armsmaster led the way in, followed by Aegis. In a moment, all of us were around the table—the seven present Wards and the seven Protectorate heroes.

Armsmaster spoke first. "Wards, Protectorate," he said, "Aegis, Miss Militia and I have developed a plan in conjunction with the Director. Miss Militia?"

Miss Militia cleared her throat. "The Protectorate will be pushing an offensive into the ABB's territory proper," she said. "We will be seeking to bait Lung into a direct fight so that Armsmaster can defeat him using his tinkertech tranquilizers once again. Faultline's Crew will be pushing in from the other direction in a pincer maneuver."

Aegis took over from there. "Meanwhile, the Wards will be headed for Über and Leet's base. With help from Faultline, we've isolated its location. They're in a warehouse near the shoreline just north of downtown, between ABB and Empire territories. It's a tinker's base, so expect resistance and fortifications."

"Of course, as we saw last Sunday," Armsmaster said dryly, "we can't afford to leave our bases undefended. That's why one Ward and one Protectorate member will be staying behind at each location—here and PRT Headquarters.

"Dauntless will be staying here, on Protectorate console. In support, he'll have Browbeat."

Browbeat nodded once, his face impassive under his mask. By the furrowing of his brow, Dauntless seemed slightly disappointed, but he gave no complaint.

"At PRT Headquarters, Annatar will be taking Wards console—"

"Wait, what?" Sophia asked sharply. "You're benching Annatar?"

"It's fine, Shadow Stalker," I soothed. "I knew about this."

"You're one of our strongest capes!" she argued. "We need you out there!"

"We need someone defending the home base." Aegis stared Sophia down, and I saw the telltale corona of Laureya infusing him as he channeled his ability to control his subordinates. "Annatar volunteered, Shadow Stalker. She'll be coordinating us on console. We needed someone who could hold their own to take the defense."

"I could take the console," Sophia said. "I—"

"Enough, Stalker," Armsmaster growled. "Annatar will be on Wards console, with Triumph supporting her at PRT HQ. That is final."

Aegis stood up. "And with that, we'd better get back there," he said. "We need to get ready. Kid Win's still working on something?"

I nodded. "He's already at PRT HQ," I said. "I think he's testing something to help with the fight tonight."

"Good. We'll go meet him there. Armsmaster, permission to take the Wards back to base?"

"Granted. Keep in radio contact, and good luck, Aegis."

Aegis nodded and led us out of the room. Once the door shut behind us, he rounded on Sophia.

"What was that?" he growled.

"We need Annatar in the field," she barked—quietly, to avoid being heard by the heroes on the other side of the door. "I can't do half as good an infiltration on my own, and she can take a hit better than any of us besides you. What the hell are you benching her for?"

"For exactly that reason," I said. "I've got the most well-rounded powerset of us, Shadow Stalker. If Bakuda or Lung decides to attack base because of what we're doing, I can hold them off longer than any other one of us.

"That's what Triumph is there for," grumbled Sophia.

"Yes," I agreed. "But two capes are better than one."

Aegis shook his head. "All this is beside the point," he said. "Shadow Stalker, you can't undermine my authority like that in the middle of a meeting with the Protectorate."

Sophia gritted her teeth. For a moment, they glared at each other before Aegis sighed and turned away. "Let's get to base," he said.

As we followed him out, I heard Sophia mutter a reply, almost inaudible. "I'm not here for you."

I glanced at her, but she avoided my gaze, and after a moment, I looked away again.

-x-x-x-​

"Okay, so I've been working on this for the past week or so," said Kid Win, fiddling with the communications console and hooking up several wires to it. "I started rushing it when I heard we'd be attacking tonight. Only just managed to get it through testing."

"What is it?" I asked, studying the console. Where before it had been a desk with a few screens, microphones, dials and switches on it, now it was augmented by eight screens which were attached to the wall behind it, rising two up and four across. Each was wired into the back of the console, connected to a black box I was sure hadn't been there before.

Kid Win tossed me something—I caught it instinctively and brought it up to my eyes. It was a small camera, or so it seemed, attached to an adhesive panel.

"Each of us attaches one of those to our masks," he said, pointing at the camera he'd fitted onto his visor, "and the feed gets broadcast back here. It's encrypted using one of Dragon's codes, so it should be pretty damn secure."

"So I'll have visual as well as an audio channel?"

"Exactly! Just, uh, be careful not to get too caught up in it, all right? Don't want to have any crossed wires between you and Aegis. Contradictory orders, that sort of thing."

"Of course. Thanks, Kid Win."

He grinned at me, shaking his head. "Thank you. I'd never have been able to finish one tinkertech camera before Mirilya. Now I've made eight of them. I've built more in the past week than I did in two months before."

I smiled. "I'm glad it's treating you well," I said. "Be careful that it doesn't become a crutch, though. You hadn't found your specialty before, right?"

"No," he admitted. "But I don't even need it, anymore! I can—"

"Your specialty is what makes your tinkertech different from just very advanced ordinary technology," I cut him off. "Mirilya is a painkiller, Chris—it's blocking symptoms, but you'll never fully come into your own unless you force yourself to push past that and find your specialty. A Ring of Power is a wonderful tool, but it's no substitute for real knowledge and growth."

He looked away. "Right." There was a pause.

"All the same, thank you for this," I said, sitting down in the console chair. "I've been worried all day about sitting here with no ability to really tell what's going on while you guys are out on the battlefield."

Kid Win grimaced. "It's not fun, I can tell you that," he said. "Anyway, this screen is mine." He tapped the power button on one of the eight new monitors and the screen lit up, displaying my face hidden under the bright silver of my helmet, dark hair cascading behind me.

Kid Win pointed out the other seven screens, ending with mine. "I'll go pass these out," he said.

"I'll come with you," I said, standing up. "I'll see you all off before you leave."

-x-x-x-​

Last edited:
"I'm not here for you.", says Shadow Stalker to Aegis. Do be careful Sophia lest you reveal more than you intend.

Stalker's gonna be more of a liability than before if she keeps this up. Overt show of loyalty to the latest Ward member and not the establishment she works in will rub a lot of people the wrong way.

Sheen 4.3
Many thanks to @dwood15, @Technetium43, @fabledFreeboota, and @Assembler for betareading.

-x-x-x-​

My eyes darted from one screen to another. I'd turned off both mine and Browbeat's to avoid being distracted, and so my six-angled view of the skyline of Brockton Bay was uninterrupted except by empty black. Sophia was in an alleyway, making a final check of both of her crossbows. Aegis was in the air, his head turning slowly as he surveyed the area. Kid Win was in an alcove across the street from Shadow Stalker, checking the settings on his hoverboard. Clockblocker, Vista, and Gallant were all huddled together on an unlit street corner, about two blocks from the target.

"Have you located the AO?" I asked Aegis.

His head turned, pointing my camera at a large warehouse with a sloped, corrugated metal roof and concrete walls. It stood out, not because it was a particularly imposing or interesting exterior, but because it was sturdier than any of the others around it.

"I think so," he said. "Can't be sure without going inside."

"Right," I agreed. "Kid Win, stay low and dark; go one block to your left. There's a single concrete building, dominates the block. I need you to scan the walls, figure out if there's an electric current running through them anywhere."

"Got it." Kid Win mounted his hoverboard and sped down the street, carefully staying low to the ground and keeping slow enough that the noise of his repulsors remained at a low whine, barely audible even to my Nenya-enhanced hearing. When he reached the building he pulled out a tool. The ranged voltmeter had been another recent addition to Kid Win's arsenal, built with the help of Armsmaster's notes on Sophia's tinkertech lenses.

"Think you can get me the upgrade into the lenses soon?" Sophia asked. Her own version of the voltmeter functioned similarly, I knew, but could not see currents behind or inside walls.

"I can't miniaturize the voltmeter enough to fit into your mask," Kid Win replied. "I'll talk to Armsmaster about it as soon as I have a chance."

He moved it from side to side, about two feet from the surface of the wall, watching the display. "Low current," he reported. "Consistent with in-wall electrical conduits. Looking for a weak point."

"Carry on." I turned to Sophia's screen. "Shadow Stalker, follow him; do not phase in until I give the word."

"On it."

"Clockblocker, take your squad towards the AO; stay out of sight."

Vista and Gallant began following Clockblocker down the street as he led them by a shadowed route, carefully avoiding the golden lights of streetlamps.

"Aegis, drop towards the roof of the building—the walls are thick, but you might be able to hear something through the roof."

He sank towards the warehouse and slowly rotated himself so he was hovering belly-down, one ear lowered toward the corrugated plating of the roof. After a moment, I saw his hand go to his higher ear. "I've got nothing," he whispered. "No sound."

"That means nothing,"
said Kid Win. "Could be anything from insulation to tinkertech silencing." He withdrew his voltmeter and return it to the compartment at his hip. "I've found a weak point."

"Good. Rise up—out of sight of windows—and join Aegis above the roof. Shadow Stalker, on my mark, phase into the building."

I saw the wall begin to pass beneath Kid Win's view as he slowly gained altitude. Sophia positioned her back against the point on the concrete wall he had indicated.

Meanwhile, Clockblocker's team had gained visibility of the warehouse. They were now huddled in the shadow of a building, ducking around it as they looked at the main doors of the warehouse across the street and down the road half a block. "We don't have a safe route any further," Clockblocker reported. It was true—if they left the alley, they'd be in view of the warehouse's main windows. But there was an alternative.

"Vista, tunnel your group to a position directly in front of the doors." The windows were almost all second story, and they were all set into the back of the thick concrete walls. The warehouse's occupants—if there were any, if we had the right place—would have no line-of-sight to the doors themselves.

Vista obligingly gave the three Wards a spatial warp, landing them within two feet of the warehouse's door.

"Any sound?" I asked.

"None," reported Gallant in a whisper.

"Can you sense anyone?"

"I need visual to sense emotions, Annatar. I can see the emotions of hidden people, maybe even invisible people, but not people I can't see at all."

"Right, sorry. Standby. Aegis, are we clear for insertion?"

"We're ready up here."

"Good. All Wards, prepare to engage if Shadow Stalker is detected. Shadow Stalker, you have permission to enter the building."

"Finally," muttered Sophia, and phased into shadow—my view of her went dark, the camera unable to broadcast from inside her shadow state.

I bit my lip, holding my breath. Please be okay. Don't let Leet have a countermeasure.

It was about twenty seconds before Sophia's screen lit up again. It felt like an hour. She was huddled against a low wall, looking at the concrete of the interior wall. That concrete was not so unadorned on this side—it was painted a slightly garish green, and a poster was plastered on it to her left—a man in a green tunic, carrying a blue sword amid a forest.

Her hand came up to her ear. "I think we found them," she murmured. "I can hear them."

She held her finger on the earpiece for a moment—and, yes, I heard the sound of fairly loud music coming from somewhere in the building, punctuated by a frustrated shout, the specific words inaudible.

"Okay," I said. "Any defenses?"

"At least one of them is on the upper floor," she said. "From what I saw before I took cover, this floor is Leet's workshop. There's a big turret in the center—I think it's automated. There's also a robot or something in one corner—an automaton."

"Any obvious weaponry on it?"

"No, but some around it. Tinkertech. A sword, a gun, some other things I didn't recognize. The robot's in a case—off, I think."

"Good. With luck, it won't be active. How's the lighting?"

"Too damn high. Fluorescents all over the ceiling."

"See a light switch?"

"Just inside the front door."

I smiled. "Any traps?"

"Yeah. Something hooked to the hinge. Probably just an alarm, but…"

"…But we don't know, and even that's a problem." I closed my eyes for a moment, thinking.

"Shadow Stalker," Aegis interjected. "You're the one in there. Think you can get to another vantage point?"

"I can try."

"I can't see or hear you when you're shifted," I told her. "How long do you think it'll take you to get to that position?"

"Ten seconds, max."

"Can you give me a counter—click your tongue or something, so I know what you mean by a second?"

Sophia made a low clicking sound into the microphone, a slow counter. I committed the timing to memory. "Clockblocker, Aegis," I said. "If Shadow Stalker doesn't revert within about twelve seconds I'm going to call you in. Be ready. Shadow Stalker, on your mark."

I heard her inhale once and let the air out slowly. Then her camera went dark.

One, two, three, four…

On nine, Sophia's screen lit up again and my heart leapt into my mouth. Her back was against the wall, her legs splayed out before her. A fluorescent light shone upon her from directly above, and the turret in the center of the room which she'd mentioned was pointed squarely in her direction. The sides of its barrel were glowing blue and sparking like a Tesla coil.

An electric weapon.

"Wards, move in!" I said. "Shadow Stalker is hit!"

At that point, a great deal of things happened at once.

On the roof, Aegis flew up a few feet and threw himself bodily down into the metal of the roof. It splintered, tearing around him and leaving a hole. Kid Win's hoverboard was too wide to sink into it, so he jumped off of it, held it tight to his body, and dropped after Aegis. The flying brute caught him as he did and set him down on the creaky wooden planks of the upper floor.

Meanwhile, Clockblocker and Gallant each grabbed one of the handles of the warehouse's double doors and tried them.

"Locked," said Clockblocker through gritted teeth.

Gallant didn't waste words, taking a step away and throwing his power-armored bulk into the barricade. The doors didn't budge.

"Boys," Vista muttered. In a moment, instead of the door, the three of them were in front of a widened window. "Here."

As one, the three of them burst through the glass.

Meanwhile, Sophia had pushed herself forward onto her hands and knees and rolled to her left. A burst of light signaled the firing of the turret, and as she came up I saw a blackened scorch mark on the concrete floor where she'd been lying.

Aegis and Kid Win were upstairs at the walled end of a narrow corridor, with doors lining both walls. Sophia was under fire and out of cover, right in the middle of an open, well-lit room. Clockblocker, Gallant, and Vista were just inside the main doors and had a clear line of sight, both at the turret and at Sophia. At least one of the two villains was upstairs, likely in one of the rooms off of the hallway, but the other's position was unknown.

"Vista, help Shadow Stalker get to cover. Aegis, Kid Win, find Über and Leet," I said, my words coming out slightly jumbled as they tripped over one another in my rush to get them out. "One of them's upstairs at least. Clockblocker, disable that turret. Gallant, see if you can find any sign of the villains."

Even as I spoke, Vista was already twisting the air in front of the turret's barrel in a visible warping, bending its firing line away from Sophia, who was scrambling to her feet. Kid Win hopped onto his hoverboard and shot down the hallway even as Aegis shoved open the nearest door and looked into the dark room.

"I'm going to check each room," our team leader said. "Kid Win, go to the end of the hall and work your way back here."

"Got it."

Clockblocker was charging directly for the turret. It rotated to face him. "Vista!" he hollered, diving for it.

I watched through his screen as the turret's barrel twisted like an Escher painting, the burst of bluish lightning arcing out and fizzling against the wall. An instant later, Clockblocker's hand landed on the machine's chassis.

"Don't know how long that'll hold," he panted. "I can just stay here and freeze it again if—"

He was cut off by a burst of light and an impact that sent him flying. My eyes darted to the other screens. The automaton Sophia had mentioned had left its case, and in its hand was what looked like an assault rifle, painted white—if assault rifles shot a steady stream of glowing blue orbs.

The robot itself was a gray thing, humanoid in shape and featureless in face, save for two eyes which were lit from within. Visible pistons and gyroscopes whirred within its mechanical torso and limbs as it turned from Clockblocker, aiming at Gallant, who was charging at it. It raised its weapon…

...and froze. I saw the light in its eyes flicker and die. Something seemed to give in the mechanisms of its chest.

"Get back, Gallant!" I ordered.

He obeyed without hesitation, skidding to a stop and throwing himself backwards. Not a moment too soon—the automaton sparked once from deep within its chest, and exploded in a burst of light and fire.

"Threepio, no!"

The voice came through multiple microphones. All four of the Wards downstairs turned to the source.

Leet stood in the doorway of a side room—a kitchen, by the fridge still open behind him. The lightbulb inside it was the only source of light in that room, and his scrawny form stood framed against the shadows behind him. He was barely dressed—in the sense that he wore absurd, oversized goggles with tinted lenses, and other than that only a t-shirt and cargo shorts.

The t-shirt was a graphic. I detachedly noticed that against the red of the fabric, its black lettering read ENDBRINGER VICTIMS BITCH TOO MUCH. All caps.

I might've shuddered a little bit, I don't know.

"Leet," said Gallant, his voice steady, loud, and clear. "You are under arrest. Surrender, and we don't have to go any further."

"Fuck you!"
Leet growled, his fists clenching. "You think you can just come in here and fuck with my workshop, and I won't even fight back? I—"

He stopped with a faint choking noise. He blinked, took a single step forward, and keeled over. From behind him, Sophia withdrew her tranquilizer bolt from his neck as he fell.

She looked at our teammates. "What?" she asked, her form still coalescing after teleporting into the shadows behind him. "He wasn't surrendering."

Her voice was still tight with pain, but before I could do more than take note there was a crash from upstairs. My eyes darted to Aegis' screen—shit, I'd neglected him and Kid Win.

Aegis's face was against the wall, one arm visible out of the corner of his eye where it was bent into an armbar.

"Get out of my base," growled Über, and shifted his grip before throwing Aegis out a window.

"Upstairs, everyone," I said. "Aegis just found Über."

-x-x-x-​

Last edited:
And no plan survives contact with the enemy. Espcially within a Tinker´s lair.

A Light in Dark Places
Just a non-canon omake, set about six months after the current situation.

-x-x-x-​

Sophia came up behind me silently. I wouldn't have noticed her were it not for the tie that bound Cenya to the One about my finger. She strode forward and halted beside me, looking down over the city below.

The yellow light of the streetlamp played over the damp asphalt and flickered sickly over the gray of the sidewalks. The water flowing in the gutters it cast into pale gold. The street was a latticework of faintly lit streets and dark buildings, punctuated by lit windows in yellow, whites, and blues. Above us, the stars flickered faint, faded by the haze and smog which had blanketed the city since before I was born, and would likely outlast me.

The moon was new, the night was dark. The October chill seeped under my armor, sending clawing, icy fingers into my flesh. Beside me, Sophia shivered slightly under her thick cloak.

"What are you doing up here?" she asked. "They're all celebrating downstairs. We missed you."

I didn't answer for a moment, my sharp eyes scanning the city below. My sight, enhanced as it was, picked out everything from the passing cars to the embrace of reunited lovers after a day at work, to muggings in alleyways.

"I once saw a movie," I said quietly. "I don't remember the film itself. It was about a cape, I know that. Aleph film."

Sophia turned to me, her dark eyes glittering in the starlight, and gleaming green in reflection of a Ring of Power only she and I could see. She didn't speak; she only listened.

"There was a—an image," I said, plucking the words out of the dark. "A man in black, atop a tower like this one. His cape billowed behind him, like ours. His cowl covered his face—like ours. He looked over a city not entirely unlike Brockton Bay, and saw it as it was in the dark."

I sighed, my breath misting the air before me in a faint puff of gray, which faded quickly. "It's a powerful image," I mused. "It's the kind of thing that sticks with you. The lone watchman, vigilant, facing evil in its own den."

"Yeah," said Sophia, and her voice was faint, and slightly hoarse. "I—I think I know the image you mean. I've been there. That's what—that's who I saw myself as. Before."

"Yes." I turned my head slightly to meet her eyes. "A powerful image," I said again. "We admire the person who can stand alone against that kind of darkness."

Sophia nodded wordlessly.

Our gazes held for a moment. Does she see what I see? I wondered. Can she make the connection?

"There's something wrong with it," she murmured, and I smiled.

"Yes," I agreed.

"I don't—I don't understand it," she said, looking away. "But yeah. It's—it's not how I imagine a hero. Not anymore."

"No?"

"No."

I looked back out into the night. "It's a powerful image," I said. "A perverse image."

"You think?"

"Yes. Who is this man, who stands on the rooftop, and looks over the city at its worst? Surely something must be broken inside him, to want that. To be willing to face that alone."

"It's better with friends," Sophia agreed.

"It's more than that," I said, looking up at the two narrow spires of my tower, black against the lesser black of the sky. "It's a human flaw. What are we, that we'd rather face evil like that, in its own den, at the height of its power?" I chuckled. "What a stupid species we are."

She stared at me. "How so?"

"We'd rather curse the darkness than turn on the light."

And I flared. The One Ring on my finger surged with power, and the silver-white of my mithril armor became incandescent in the night. A new moon over Brockton Bay, a light in the darkness to guide the lost and comfort the desperate.

Sophia's hands moved as though to shield her eyes, but she held them at bay. They stopped just below her face and she stared up into my face, her dark green costume lit up by the light I cast.

"I am not a dark knight, come to strike fear into the heart of shadow. I am not an avenger, seeking to punish the wicked where they feel most secure. I am light, and hope, and protection. I will give the shadow neither home nor respite in my city, and fight it on my terms." I whispered the words, almost a prayer, and watched as the silver light shone into every alleyway and every street below me. Homeless, sorry-faced men looked up, blinking in wonder. Muggers started and stepped away from their would-be victims. Lovers stared up and held one another close.

"I am Annatar, Ring-Maker, Gift-Giver," I murmured. "I will tolerate no more of this in my city."

There was silence.

"That's great and all," Sophia said, and there was a hint of caustic dryness to her voice, "but you did tell me to warn you if you ever started going full crazy again."

The light didn't fade, but I glanced at her. "You think I am?"

"The speech was nice," she said, "but yeah, little bit. Also there's cake downstairs, and if you turn down your own cake, you're definitely crazy."

I smiled. With a gesture, I pulled the light from myself and cast it into the twin spires of the tower behind me. There it hung, an orb of silver shining between the two pillars, like a star suspended.

"Quite right," I said. "Lead the way. Cake waits for no one."

-x-x-x-​

Not inspired by any particular image, but this was the one I found when looking for the image in my head:

A light that shines so bright it risks collapsing in on itself. Taylor's like a star.

Back