Requisite pony thread (No creepers)

- The Smooze was nearly as disastrous as expected (well, downgraded from "apocalyptic threat" to "messy party fiasco"). Apparently also loves eating shiny treasures.
I'm surprised there isn't more commentary on the Smooze. Part of what makes this episode good is all the people who know his reputation from G1, and go "oh hell no" when Discord announces him. Only for the Smooze to be pretty mellow and friendly. Though his ability to casually neutralize the magic of local demigods, shrugging off attacks with no effect, and rapid growth when eating treasure, indicate that he's still a nigh unstoppable eldritch abomination. He's just not hostile.

Last edited:
I'm surprised there isn't more commentary on the Smooze. Part of what makes this episode good is all the people who know his reputation from G1, and go "oh hell no" when Discord announces him. Only for the Smooze to be pretty mellow and friendly. Though his ability to casually neutralize the magic of local demigods, shrugging off attacks with no effect, and rapid growth when eating treasure, indicate that he's still a nigh unstoppable eldritch abomination. He's just not hostile.

Just isn't much to say about him, he's a pretty chill dude who's hanging out with his friend(ish) Discord, who was in some kind of eldritch abomination college with him.:V Best not to think about it too much and just accept that Equestria makes a habit of reforming villains when they can because it saves costs over putting them in cans. Canning materials are just so darn expensive nowadays! I can't imagine what the Smooze does for a living, though. o_O

Just isn't much to say about him, he's a pretty chill dude who's hanging out with his friend(ish) Discord, who was in some kind of eldritch abomination college with him.:V Best not to think about it too much and just accept that Equestria makes a habit of reforming villains when they can because it saves costs over putting them in cans. Canning materials are just so darn expensive nowadays! I can't imagine what the Smooze does for a living, though. o_O

I imagine he's probably hired as a kind of dragon removal service. He's nigh invulnerable, so the dragons can't hurt him, and he eats treasure, so the dragons would be disinclined to be in a place where he's hanging out.

I imagine he's probably hired as a kind of dragon removal service. He's nigh invulnerable, so the dragons can't hurt him, and he eats treasure, so the dragons would be disinclined to be in a place where he's hanging out.

I... o_O Hmmm. :evil:

That would explain quite neatly how Celestia got across 'don't settle in Equestria' to the nice magma-swimming, all-consuming dragons. And he's just so polite while eating them out of house and home until they run away crying about how the mean slime monster ate all of their treasure.

I... o_O Hmmm. :evil:

That would explain quite neatly how Celestia got across 'don't settle in Equestria' to the nice magma-swimming, all-consuming dragons. And he's just so polite while eating them out of house and home until they run away crying about how the mean slime monster ate all of their treasure.

Plus, he's not really a threat to them, since he can't seem to absorb living things, his gooeyness would probably be overcome by their strength, and treasure seems to be the equivalent of candy in a dragon's diet, so he's not denying them anything they would need to survive. To them he's a pest, so this tactic won't force the dragons into desperation.

Last edited:
Plus, he's not really a threat to them, since he can't seem to absorb living things, his gooeyness would probably be overcome by their strength, and treasure seems to be the equivalent of candy in a dragon's diet, so he's not denying them anything they would need to survive. To them he's a pest, so this tactic won't force the dragons into desperation.
Well, in theory, dragons make their nests from gems, and, as we've seen as canon in the MLPverse, grow based on the size of their horde. Just imagine, an army of Spikes

I am someone who would vastly prefer the Gala as it is/was to what, say, Pinkie would like it to be. I also think her 'trolling' is rude at best. If she wants it changed, she is well within her power to ask them to change it. Or simply not attend.

Sorry, but 'best Night Ever' still rubs me the wrong way and how she handled things.
Given what Fancy Pants was able to do in Sweet and Elite, I adamantly refuse to believe Celestia can't do that except supercharged.
"Well, yes, if I wanted I could force the Gala to be completely changed. Or just not show up. But in order to force it to be changed, I would need to spend political capital on it which would allow them to force issues in other areas that I would not be able to counter due to spent capital. And not coming is not much of an option either. On the one hoof, it would be a massive snub against them which might cost me when I need to get something through government without me needing to go full on tyrant. On the other hoof, not showing up to the Gala, which is where all the major politicians and nobles are, would show a lack of respect and trust in the government and cause issues on it's own. Hence, why I try to mix in a little bit of chaos now and then by inviting interesting guests. And if the nobles complain over it? Well, they understand that they would need to spend political capital that just is not worth it..."

"Well, yes, if I wanted I could force the Gala to be completely changed. Or just not show up. But in order to force it to be changed, I would need to spend political capital on it which would allow them to force issues in other areas that I would not be able to counter due to spent capital. And not coming is not much of an option either. On the one hoof, it would be a massive snub against them which might cost me when I need to get something through government without me needing to go full on tyrant. On the other hoof, not showing up to the Gala, which is where all the major politicians and nobles are, would show a lack of respect and trust in the government and cause issues on it's own. Hence, why I try to mix in a little bit of chaos now and then by inviting interesting guests. And if the nobles complain over it? Well, they understand that they would need to spend political capital that just is not worth it..."

I just don't buy it. The show frequently has the characters opt for the crazy option before the sensible option, so why would this be any different?

That is a huge stretch.

That is a huge stretch.
Not at all. Whenever she does anything anyone else with political influence doesn't like, she's losing some amount of political capital. Also gaining from those who like the move, of course. The amount may be small, but weighting cost vs benefit always needs to take place.

As for whether this is the best explanation for this particular issue, eh. It's seemingly just a bunch of ponies standing around talking while the music plays in the background, but it's implied organizing the thing is a significant amount of work for Celestia and challenged Twilight's great organisational abilities, so I have to assume there are some additional complexities involved in the event. Those may make it unfeasible to add more entertainment to the event.

Tax

I Love Humans THIS MUCH

A Song of Ice and Hibernation

Last edited:

What, did she burn all her political capital in letting the two greatest traitors in Equestrian history, one of whom is not working out nearly as smoothly as the other, run around?

I just thought of something: Back in G1, the Smooze was purple. This Smooze is green, like Gak. Back in the season 3 intro, they ran commercials for said Gak, which started the meme that Sombra used it. Green!Smooze looks like Gak. I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.

I just thought of something: Back in G1, the Smooze was purple. This Smooze is green, like Gak. Back in the season 3 intro, they ran commercials for said Gak, which started the meme that Sombra used it. Green!Smooze looks like Gak. I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.

And there's the fact that the Green!Smooze apparently likes to eat treasure... like gems and such.

And there's the fact that the Green!Smooze apparently likes to eat treasure... like gems and such.

Yeah, that much is a shoutout to the show's own fandom lore. But who cares, because it's an excellent shoutout to nu! and old! lore that combines both in a guy who's pretty darn lovable. Like seriously, smooze is a good dood, other than the whole 'leaves a trail of slime' thing.

Yeah, that much is a shoutout to the show's own fandom lore. But who cares, because it's an excellent shoutout to nu! and old! lore that combines both in a guy who's pretty darn lovable. Like seriously, smooze is a good dood, other than the whole 'leaves a trail of slime' thing.

I was more referencing the fact that both the Smooze and Sombra have seem to have similar 'tastes' - gems, crystals, yadda yadda - continuing r0b0panda's theory that they're related. Perhaps Sombra used a variant or such of the Smooze in his mining operations and conquests?

I was more referencing the fact that both the Smooze and Sombra have seem to have similar 'tastes' - gems, crystals, yadda yadda - continuing r0b0panda's theory that they're related. Perhaps Sombra used a variant or such of the Smooze in his mining operations and conquests?

Eh, Smooze's tastes involve treasure in general, giving him more in common with dragons.

Back