Metroid: Decay

To tell you the truth, the only Metroid game I've ever played was Super Metroid for the SNES. So the Metroid other M debacle didn't have as much of an impact on me. But I can understand the rage. I have legitimately never seen so much backlash at a game since the Mass Effect 3 ending controversy.

......This a bad time to mention that I enjoyed ME3?

Don't hurt me, I'm a simple man with shallow tastes

......This a bad time to mention that I enjoyed ME3?

Don't hurt me, I'm a simple man with shallow tastes
Enjoying the game is one thing. Everything before the ending was solid. But once you got to the final part... Well, that's what people were angry about. It betrayed the fundamentals of the series, went against the promises about the ending (they specifically said that because it was the last game, they didn't have to worry about the endings having to sync up to a beginning to another game), and was just bad all around. It was improved later, but not enough to wash away the stench.

Clearly someone knocked off her helmet. Thus Samus is about to voice her displeasure. . . with copious amounts of missiles and plasma fire.

I always thought that the Prime Trilogy was a separate thing. That it wasn't actually part of the timeline that held Fusion.

Although I guess you could say it was before Metroid 2...Super, Other M, and Fusion were all plausibly after...but Hunters is explicitly an alternate timeline in anywhere I've ever seen a timeline for Metroid.

I always thought that the Prime Trilogy was a separate thing. That it wasn't actually part of the timeline that held Fusion.

Although I guess you could say it was before Metroid 2...Super, Other M, and Fusion were all plausibly after...but Hunters is explicitly an alternate timeline in anywhere I've ever seen a timeline for Metroid.
... What? All of the Metroid wikis and fan sites that I'm aware of have a complete timeline that includes Hunters and the Prime trilogy.
See: Metroid Database, where the author calculated dates for everything, Metroid Recon, and Wikitroid.

Looking at the article on the Hunters interview, I feel like he was mostly referring to the other bounty hunters, and the storyline itself. After all, it takes place in a completely different galaxy, and it seems silly to have the Chozo literally everywhere in the known and nearby, unknown universe. Also, the first question of the interview flat out says the Prime series takes place between Metroid and Metroid II, and that Hunters takes place between Prime and Prime: Echoes. Not much wiggle room there.

Samus sat at her end of the barrier, turning over to watch Sullivan. She saw that the other woman hadn't bothered to move, instead opting to keep staring into the fire. Quietly, Samus turned back over, still in her zero suit. "...I'm sorry." Samus murmured. "...I should have done more."

Sullivan kept staring, completely oblivious to Samus's words.

Sullivan didn't say a single thing. Eventually, they both drifted to sleep.

[=]​

When they woke up, both of them moved out of the forest sector. Samus looked around, noticing that, indeed, it was a good thing they took that path; everything else had been closed off. both Samus and Sullivan walked through the halls, with Sullivan's right arm stub having been bandaged to cover the injury.

"...at least I'm left-handed." Sullivan murmured.

"I will replace it." Samus said. "There should be a prosthetic station aboard this ship."

"Oh, and with everyone dead, those guys should probably be conveniently alive, right?" Sullivan spat.

Samus turned to look at her, before she just shook her head and looked back at Chloe. "...Anything else involving the wildlife that you may know about?"

"Fuck, no." Sullivan grasped her helmet with her remaining hand. The thing was mostly destroyed, with a ruined mouthpiece, a missing visor, and a ruined left ear. "The only goddamn thing I know is that the wildlife butchered my friends."

Samus slowly nodded, before she turned back forwards. "Whatever caused the disaster probably involved the release of the forest creatures, though it could have been something else." Samus said. "...hold on."

Sullivan turned to face Samus. "What?"

"Door to our right." Samus said, before she scanned it once. She smirked. "...It's operational."

[=]​

A/N: ????

Last edited:
...Huh, I'm kinda surprised that the Chozo were unable to replace limbs, considering that we're almost able to 3D print human organs today.

...Huh, I'm kinda surprised that the Chozo were unable to replace limbs, considering that we're almost able to 3D print human organs today.
It's especially weird since Chozo were able to completely rewrite the DNA of a human to be half-alien, which is unfathomably more complex than replacing a limb would be, something we're getting close too now and likely will be possible by the end of the century. Especially since everyone in metroid is able to grow fully mature clones of a billion different species in about a week. Wouldn't it be more logical that replacing the limb would require very extensive medical treatments and long term therapy currently unavailable due to being on a derelict spaceship?

It's especially weird since Chozo were able to completely rewrite the DNA of a human to be half-alien, which is unfathomably more complex than replacing a limb would be, something we're getting close too now and likely will be possible by the end of the century. Especially since everyone in metroid is able to grow fully mature clones of a billion different species in about a week. Wouldn't it be more logical that replacing the limb would require very extensive medical treatments and long term therapy currently unavailable due to being on a derelict spaceship?
Another part of it would likely be that the vast majority of the Chozo were moving back to minimalist, sage-like lifestyles, and then one of the most advanced facilities they still had that Samus knew about was commandeered by their rogue AI, Mother Brain.
Maybe the Elysian outpost would be able fix it, but it is quite possible that whatever knowledge ark that Samus has doesn't contain their genetic engineering technology, to prevent abuse by other fledgling species. After all, these are the creators of the Metroids, even if they were unable to destroy the X directly (not that Samus knows about the X just yet).
That level of knowledge is dangerous without the wisdom of the decades/centuries of non-implosive development it required the Chozo to get to that point.

Last edited:
Another part of it would likely be that the vast majority of the Chozo were moving back to minimalist, sage-like lifestyles, and then one of the most advanced facilities they still had that Samus knew about was commandeered by their rogue AI, Mother Brain.
Maybe the Elysian outpost would be able fix it, but it is quite possible that whatever knowledge ark that Samus has doesn't contain their genetic engineering technology, to prevent abuse by other fledgling species. After all, these are the creators of the Metroids, even if they were unable to destroy the X directly (not that Samus knows about the X just yet).
That level of knowledge is dangerous without the wisdom of the decades/centuries of non-implosive development it required the Chozo to get to that point.
Well we've still got a Galactic Federation thats perfectly capable of flash-cloning some 200 odd Space Pirates. Why can't they grow limbs to transplant onto people?

Well we've still got a Galactic Federation thats perfectly capable of flash-cloning some 200 odd Space Pirates. Why can't they grow limbs to transplant onto people?
Eh, Space Pirates are almost literally a dime a dozen. I figure that they're actually really easy to clone or breed. But no, definitely. The only way said cloning wouldn't work is if Samus either didn't know that the GF had cloning this advanced, or if there's handwave-level tissue rejection issues.

Weird sentence that made no sense removed. You're right, the Chozo can replace limbs.

Samus can't.

Meanwhile, the GF can replace organs and limbs...but those facilities take more than a few human hands to run, and said hands are probably dead right now.

Chloe will just have to live without a right arm.

...They weren't flash-cloned. How did you get that impression, when some of them are partially covered in armor, have the occasional pirate weapon, and immediately recognize Samus and call her "THE HUNTER"?

EDIT: edited more of that previous snippet. I made several mistakes, which I will blame on sleep deprivation.

Last edited:
Samus not having that tech makes some amount of sense. But her not having offered some of the Chozo Medical Tech to the federation for seed money on her career is implausible.

Back