Marine Misadventures of a Magicless Kind

Marine Misadventures of a Magicless Kind || Original Fantasy
Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

You are an orphan in a world where elemental powers are literally passed down from one generation to the next, where the natural order is governed by the Firstborn: the phoenixes of the sun, the dragons of the sky, and the seal kin of the sea. Sure, the shadow of conflict is never far, but that's not important. All you want is to find out who your family is... and gain the power to finally be a normal person.

Who are you?
Last edited:
Day 1.0 - The Beginning

Lithos Alto

Herald of Red Herrings
| The Beginning... |
-
When you are becalmed, please, be calm (and carry on).
-
-​
The sea.
It calls to you with promises of adventure. Adventure, and answers.
You can hear it wherever you are, even when its voice has long faded from everyone else.
Just like breathing.
You hear it when awake…
…and asleep.

Shahhhhh… shhhhhh…
Kruufsssh!

You've lived on Florialis Island for as long as you can remember. Tropical, temperate, fruitful--a jewel in the waters. The ocean is all you know, having washed up on the beach as a baby--from where, no one knows. Your appearance, especially your hair color, makes you stand out at any gathering, and you are an oddity to settlers and traders, who generally come from fellow islands in the Koridor Archipelago. A mystery.

But that's not the only downside to being a parentless castaway.

In your world, the sea, sky, and sun are the domains of the three Esser--the embodiments of the living elements--who together shaped the face of the earth. Their children, too, held the wills of water, wind, and fire, and in turn gave their descendants the ability to call their given element. Even in present days, elemental control is commonplace; however, the ability can only be activated by a close blood relative.

You're around the age when families on your island traditionally grant the ability to their children, but with no known blood relatives to activate it in you, you're pretty much destined to be powerless hired muscle. Nevertheless, you were born with the same will as everyone else, and just as the sun sinks from the sky to bring light to the lands underwater, you may yet find a solution or an answer to your elementless state.

In spite of your not-a-handicap, the kindly people of your adoptive village raised you to be a rather self-sufficient young man, and you're grateful for their part in your life. You've never truly wanted for anything. What could you need in a tropical paradise? Life is nearly perfect, but you've never stopped wondering about your origin. What history runs through your veins? What element? Where did you come from? You haven't figured out who you were born to be yet, but everyone has a starting point.

First thing's first; what's your name?​
[]You are Cors. Your unusually dark hair absorbs sunlight like nothing else; you've gotten heat headaches from being out at the wrong time of day.​
[]You are Jet. Your strange hair is as white as gull feathers. Some think you a bad omen while others regard you as good luck.​
[]You are Reis. You think your singularly red hair makes you a trouble magnet, but you've survived till this point.​
What's your job?​
[]Beaconmaster: You guide boats and ships safely away from the cliffs after nightfall. [Knowledge: stars]
[]Fisherman: You catch fish to trade in your village, providing food for the villagers. [Knowledge: ocean currents]
[]Gatherer: You gather fruits, vegetables, herbs, and other plants for various villagers. [Knowledge: winds]
Adhoc vote count started by Lithos Alto on Apr 21, 2017 at 10:08 AM, finished with 10 posts and 7 votes.

• [X]"I'll cast off with you tomorrow morning—experience could help."
    [X]All of the above. It'll be a better stomach tea anyway, right?
    [x]None of the above. But you'll still pretend you did something.
    [X]"I'll practice while you're out. Can't have you laughing at me for long!"
    [X]Dried senna leaves. A common tea ingredient. With his hot air, he probably needs a laxative.

Last edited:
0.1 - About

-
| About |
-​
Welcome to Across the Waves Marine Misadventures of a Magicless Kind, a quest where you, a powerless guy in a world where pretty much everyone has elemental control, eventually get off the island you've been on your whole freaking life and (hopefully) get cool elemental abilities and find out who you are. Well, that's how it begins.

This is my first quest, original or otherwise. It's a startup and an experiment—I've been reliably informed that it picks up speed later. The purpose in writing this quest is really to get my feet wet, to start my fingers typing, and hopefully to give you something interesting to read. Let's call it a learning experience. I don't plan on it being a very long quest, but hey, plans change! Here's to a good start, a good middle, and hopefully a good end!

Want to participate but don't want to read through? Check out Segment Summaries!
Want to listen to my Two Steps From Hell music playlist for various parts? Check the M3K playlist (spoilers in the description)!

-
| Rules |
-​
  • Standard SV rules apply.
  • Please be respectful to yourself, your fellow voters, and me.
  • This is my first quest. Please remember that I'm learning as I go.
  • Decisions will be made based on majority vote.
  • I will not post unless I have a minimum of three votes total.
  • Votes made after two weeks from the posting of the active vote will not be counted unless to break a tie.
  • You are not dead unless I explicitly say so. That said, you or someone you like (or hate) can die if a bad decision is made.
  • Discussion is encouraged as long as it remains related to the quest.
  • Write-ins are allowed unless specifically said otherwise, but I maintain the right to veto them or to retract the ability in the future should I find it necessary.
  • Write-ins, when not given as an option, should be related to the main voting options (such as a more detailed description of the action).
  • Write-ins fall into a "gray area" of majority vote. If enough voters choose a write-in OR if I am sufficiently convinced, the action may take place in addition to the main voting option.
  • This is a narrative quest, so it's unlikely I'll use any dice for anything other than tiebreakers. Take a moment to smile indulgently at my level of sophistication.

Last edited:
0.2 - Characters
-
| Characters |
-​

Name: Jet

Sex: Male

Character theme: Earth - Two Steps from Hell

Appearance: White hair, brown eyes, and skin that refuses to get darker than a toasted coconut

You were told you washed up on the shores of Florialis as a baby. There, you were raised by Moram, your mentor, and his family. Since the Gift, which allows humans to control an element, is passed from blood relation to blood relation, as an orphan, you are powerless. Despite that, you inherited your mentor's position as beaconmaster, a job usually held by two of the Gifted.

Though you owe a life debt to those who raised you, you hope one day to leave the island and find the answers hidden in your blood.

-
Skills
-

Beaconmaster: You understand and have the ability to light and maintain a large bonfire overnight during harsh conditions.

Knowledge of stars: Your mentor used to talk about the stars and how to navigate by them.
- Learning about stars from an unparalleled fireblood led to you developing a weird ability that allows you to use the stars' position to locate some things. You're still learning its limits, but it seems to only work on living creatures.

-
Traits
-

Unknown blood: You are called a son of earth, for as you have no known blood relations, you have no way of receiving the Gift.

Fortune: Due to your hair color and certain factors, many regard you as a bringer of either good or bad luck.

Sea-longing?: You hear the sea wherever you are, even in your sleep. The horizon calls you to do... something.

Mindful: You keep a clear mind under threat and overall seek to act more on logic than on emotion. It doesn't keep you from being indecisive, though.

-
Inventory
-

Eis' clothes: your old clothes were damaged by a friendly krakenspawn, so you were forced to borrow a set from a rather unnerving person.

Firestone knife: a fire-imbued knife given to you by your mentor—careful, or it'll burn you and anything flammable.

Wondrous scale: a gift from Nyla, your best friend. It's as big as the palm of your hand and as reflective as a mirror. Its mysterious properties allow it to double as a spyglass. You have no idea what creature it could've come from.

Echo shell: a spearlike curly shell. A message can be spoken into it and stored for later. One use for non-waterbloods.

Name: Nyla

Sex: Female

Appearance: Cinnamon-brown hair, average stature

Jet's childhood friend, Moram's granddaughter. After being orphaned at an early age, she was adopted by her aunt, Merry, and Merry's husband, Jard. She was recently Given access to her blood-domain (Water) and is learning to control her new ability.

Because of a certain event, she thinks Jet is dead.

-
Skills
-

Waterblood: Has access to Water's domain. Can command water under her control, and eventually, a measure of ice, if control becomes high.
-Access: high moderate (C+): can safely manipulate surface water and pull medium waves.
-Control: low (C-): requires some concentration, can move and manipulate a single "wave" without being overwhelmed. Has trouble with shape control, cannot control more than one "wave" at a time.
-Will: high (B): high, due to years of mental preparation to resist the call of a blood-domain. Less susceptible to loss of control via emotions. Allows the user to increase their power beyond their access threshold at an escalating risk of insanity or death.

A - exceptional
B - high
C - moderate
D - low
E - abysmal

Intermediate healing: At most, setting bones, stitching wounds, treating illnesses and injuries with homemade medicine, etc., but no life-saving surgeries.

Intermediate sailing: She knows ropes. And how to steer. And how to operate a sail... on a small boat. Can probably survive a solo trip.

Knowledge of winds: Merry taught her about the winds and how they affect the weather and direction. Because of this, Nyla is particularly good at sensing changes in the wind and guessing what they mean.

-
Inventory
-

Moram's coat: a fur coat once owned by Moram, a legendary fireblood. It provides excellent protection from the weather.

Bright feather: a reddish feather that glows in the sunlight. A gift from Merry.

An ornery bird: a young nightgull given by Jet for Nyla's Gifting Day. It has been named Fuffles, much to its chagrin.

Supplies: food and water for a day-long boat trip.
-
Florialis Island
-

Merry: The closest thing Jet and Nyla have to a mother figure. She's a master fireblood healer, having inherited great power from Moram, her father. Theme: A Simple Life - Brian Crain

-

Jard: Merry's husband, and a father figure to Nyla. He's a laid-back waterblooded fisherman. To Jet, he's like an uncle.

-

Brand: A pineapple-haired windblood who's a member of the caldera watch. He annoys Nyla and has been scared of Jet since Brand's Gifting Day.
-
The High Revenge
-

Arond Windor: Windblooded captain of the High Revenge, in charge of the night shift. In Dusk 2.5, Jet finds out he's a son of Viperilon (infamously known as the Black Dragon). He is aligned with Viperilon, although his loyalty to him is uncertain. (A+, A-, A-) Theme: Tragic Dragon - Two Steps from Hell

-

Eis Waterstone: Waterblooded first mate of the High Revenge and supervisor of the day shift. Because of reasons not yet fully revealed, he doesn't like Jet. He has a grudge against firebloods. His known loyalty lies with Arond. (A-, A, B) Theme: Winter - Brian Crain; Battle theme: Eisenwolf - Two Steps from Hell

-

Mirakela Northsea: Goes by Rakela or Rakky. Waterblooded, of hearty accent and friendly personality. She's also a historian, record-keeper, and storykeeper whose known loyalty lies with Miragua Forstreme and her allies. She's older than she appears. (A, B, A)

-

Lisen Ferralong Redtail: A fireblooded member of the Ferralong and Redtail bloodlines. A shameless troublemaker who loves a good fight. He has a past with Eis and a kind of friendship with Crow. He has three long, parallel scars down the right side of his face, seemingly made by claws. His known loyalties are with himself and with the Torchheads, whom he joined at the time of the Sheer Winter. (B, D [B in survival mode], B+)

-

Crow: Windblooded and short. Very flighty, spends most of his time in the crow's nest. Has a good hand for drawing and the atlatl. Keeps his body completely covered (except his eyes). His known loyalties are with Arond. (A, D, A) Theme: Color the Sky (Miracles) - Two Steps from Hell
-
The Red Herald
-

Tarrow Mylston: Also, Vitarrow of the Morning Sky. A name Jet has only heard mentioned thus far. You're told his blade is swift and painless to die upon. Theme: Freedom Fighters (Invincible) - Two Steps from Hell

-

Efric Northsea: Nicknamed "Eelfric" for his uncanny maneuverability and slipperiness as a seaman.
-
?
-

Moram: Jet's old mentor, a legendary fireblood who raised him... more or less. Moram died a few years ago, leaving Jet his coat and a firestone knife. Theme: Reborn - Thomas Bergersen

-

Viperilon: Infamously known as the Black Dragon. Others know him as Peril, which gives those of his bloodline the epithet of the Perilous Ones. He is surnamed "of the Midnight Sky." He is the reason for many happenings in the world, notably being involved in the Sheer Winter. Theme: Black Blade (Invincible) - Two Steps From Hell

Last edited:
I'll assume all placeholders are claimed and we can post. :)

[x]You are Reis. You think your singularly red hair makes you a trouble magnet, but you've survived till this point.
[x]Beaconmaster: You guide boats and ships safely away from the cliffs after nightfall. [Knowledge: stars]

[X] You are Cors. Your unusually dark hair absorbs sunlight like nothing else; you've gotten heat headaches from being out at the wrong time of day.

[X] Beaconmaster: You guide boats and ships safely away from the cliffs after nightfall. [Knowledge: stars]

[X]You are Jet. Your strange hair is as white as gull feathers. Some think you a bad omen while others regard you as good luck.
[X] Beaconmaster: You guide boats and ships safely away from the cliffs after nightfall. [Knowledge: stars]

Wow guys, talk about a tiebreaker, eh? I'll close the vote at 12 AM EST. If the tie holds up, I'm gonna make the call.

[X]You are Jet. Your strange hair is as white as gull feathers. Some think you a bad omen while others regard you as good luck.

[x]You are Reis. You think your singularly red hair makes you a trouble magnet, but you've survived till this point.
[x]Beaconmaster: You guide boats and ships safely away from the cliffs after nightfall. [Knowledge: stars]

Day 1.1 - Calm
[Tiebreaker dice tossed. You are Jet. Description, inventory, and skills updated.]
-
Day 1.1 - Calm
-
Kree~iik! Kree~iik! Kree~ikikiik!

Your eyes blur into usefulness with the incessant cries of the rats of the sky. Gulls. And you thought roosters were bad. They must be testing if you're dead, because those shrieks are awfully close and very much grounded.

You smile, and with a quick and sandy side-roll, you swipe out in their direction.

Krii—auk!

The closest bird gets grazed by your fingertips. Its cry startles the flock, and feathers scatter to their wingbeats...all over your resting spot. Well, it was a temporary rest spot anyway. Shaded by the shadow of the beacon cliff and the shelter of a banana tree, the sand cushioned by your bedroll, you'd spent quite the cozy morning.

Still, the gulls are right; your time to rise is now, marked by the descent of the afternoon sun. You've slept out here all day.

You stand and brush some grit from your hair from your impulsive tumble and follow up by giving your bedroll a healthy shaking. The empty food satchel nearby calls to your stomach with a wailing dirge of hunger, a white feather caught in its seams hinting that the gulls have picked it clean of crumbs (what little you might've left). You gaze at it ruefully and sling its strap over your shoulder with one hand...and crack a banana from your shade-tree with the other. It'll do to tame your waking hunger.

The trek back to your adoptive village is short and well-shaded by the banana grove. Aloe plants, verdant and luscious, wave stalks of red blossoms as you pass, lining the trail with a smooth, green scent. Several of the leaves are more than ready to harvest. You consider them briefly before unsheathing your knife (you never leave home without it); you might as well bring something back. The matured larger leaves part with a sticky hiss in contact with the firestone blade, and you prop your harvest point-down in your bag to save their medicinal juice.

Thus laden, you continue walking.

Lenolia, the main fishing village on Florialis, is prosperous and peaceful. It lies in the shadow of the beacon cliff. There's the docks, where traders tie their boats, but most from the village just beach their craft on the sand. More inland lies the actual village. The houses are wood and with some metal, a few of stone. A select few are huts built in the old style with leaves and mud. Temporary dwellings, until the inhabitants are permitted or able to build more permanently.

It's just past lunch for many villagers. Most have resumed their daily tasks, and it shows in their use of their Gifts. There, a fireblooded artisan molds a searing lump with his bare hands. He must have incredible self control and strength of will, for not a single burn marrs the fingers that mold molten metal like clay. He seems to be making a statuette of Miragua, the serpentine Guardian of the sea, protector of the children of water.

Further on, a wind-fire-water trio harvests the juice of the blublo; the first makes a throwing motion towards the fronds at the height of the fragile trunk, stirring a stem-snapping blast that whirls down two dark blue gourds the size of a papaya. The second gatherer burns a hole through the stone-hard skin and hands the fruits to the third, who draws the nectar out without disturbing the bitter seeds and drains it into glass bottles. You've seen the trio trading cups of half-frozen juice to workers—another innovation to their combined abilities.

Small things. Wonderful things. But you, you can do none of that without a lot more effort. You long to be one of the Gifted but haven't yet decided how far you'd go, how much you'd risk to find your chance.

Uncertainty. What a familiar feeling.

You duck into a house with a sloping roof of tin and smile affectionately at the middle-aged woman at the table. She's working a pestle and mortar to a steady pok-pok-pok of stone on plant against stone.

Your nose twitches. Garlic?

She raises her head when your shadow crosses the table, letting her coppery ponytail fall back. She takes in your windblown self and drags her gaze from your face down to the bag of pointy leaves you've set in front of her.

"Oh! The aloe! Thank you, Jet."

She pauses her work to wrap the leaves for storage. Merry is the closest thing to a mother figure you have. You assist her with small tasks when you visit—not as often as before you were apprenticed, but you can tell she appreciates whatever help you give. Everyday life in the village runs on trade, small favors, and the goodwill of neighbors.

"You'll be wanting the usual then," she says, already stuffing your satchel with something you can't see, hidden behind her sturdy frame.

"I got extra, so a bit more than usual," you reply.

"You drive a hard bargain. Us healers have to eat too, you know."

Her wink belies the chiding tone. You send her an unimpressed look. Healing might be the most prosperous job in the archipelago, especially for the children of fire, and Merry is Florialis' foremost fireblooded healer.

"Oh, all right. Sometimes I think you do this stuff just because I give you food."

You deny it quickly, but she smiles at you with a knowing quirk to her lips, and you know she's already slipped in more. Truthfully, you're already salivating at the possibilities. Merry is a wonderful cook.

"What're you going to do with those?" you ask, gesturing at the aloe.

"You already know how good of a balm for sunburn the juice is, but it can be drunk for good health too. It's pretty good mixed with blublo. It'll have to wait until I finish these doses, though—dumb teens and their dares, can you believe it? Eating bad fish, what'll they think of next?"

"Can't you just heal them? I've heard fireblood healers can bring a man back from the brink of death." You often wonder what it must be like to hold the essence of pure heat in your hands, to not be burned if you choose, to touch life manifested.

Merry chuckles, probably amused at your eagerness, as she often does. "That's a much more intensive sort of healing. Maybe if I was born with as much fire in my veins as my father. No, I need the aid of plants like this for my flame to be really effective, and people like you make it easier to do my job. Now, if there was a waterblood willing to do more than go fishing or adventuring, less people would have health problems!"

An old gripe. As you recall, water is better for healing physical injuries while fire burns away diseases.

Merry walks around the table and slings your filled satchel over your head to rest the strap on your shoulder. "Before I forget, my niece has been waiting for you. She'll be around the back cutting mint for me, if she hasn't climbed the pineapple tree again."

Nyla, harvesting? Those words sound awfully contradictory. She's never been the most patient of people. With that in mind, you thank Merry and leave with the bundle of food at your side.

Once behind the house, it's not hard to spot your childhood friend—indeed, she's seated right underneath the "crown" of the pineapple-shaped palm. She catches sight of you and grip-slides to the ground with a flutter of cinnamon.

"Finally awake, I see," she teases as you approach. "Getting ready for the night?"

You nod. She smiles. "Since Grampapa died, we haven't had a proper beaconmaster. He'd be proud of you. It's no easy job, and certainly not very exciting—thankless, he always said."

"That was probably his unlikable personality more than anything."

"Ha! You're right about that."

Your friend the daughter of Merry's sister—a fireblood—and of a waterblooded farmer. Granddaughter of Moram, the strongest fireblood to live on Florialis in recent history. You'd been his apprentice when he was beaconmaster.

"Anyway, anyway! Guess what?"

She's fairly twitching with excitement. More than usual, anyway. You can think of only one thing that'd get her like this.

"It's your Gifting Day tomorrow, isn't it?"

Nyla deflates slightly, but you shrug. It was kind of obvious. Her enthusiasm takes the hit admirably, and soon she's smiling again.

"Yep! It's finally my turn! I'm finally getting my waves!"

"You might be getting flames," you point out.

"Nooo! Not gonna happen—I'd be competing with Grampapa and Aunt Merry for the rest of my life!" The look of horror on her face is so comical you can't help chuckling.

She smacks your shoulder lightly. "And here I was gonna invite you, Mr. Flaky. I guess you're not interested, huh?"

Did—did she really just—
...She did. She's inviting you to watch her receive her element.

"I thought that was just for family!" you blurt out.

"Bah, it's not like that's a rule—just some old tradition that started for stupid reasons. Besides, you're one of us with all the time we've invested in you. Even Grampapa liked you, and he didn't like anyone. That'd make you like...my younger cousin!"

You're nearly certain that's not the case and make sure she knows exactly what you think, to which she answers with the cursed phrase:

"You can't prove it~!"

She's not wrong.

Like a flicker of flame, Nyla's face becomes serious. "I know you've been looking for a way to get your Gift. Maybe you'll find answers if you watch it happen? We'll be gathering around sunhigh. That'll cut into your rest time, but...think about it?"

She probably sees the uncertainty on your face, because she rolls her eyes and adds, "It's not something we'll dress up for. We're not stuffy-stuff-stiff people."

With your last worry gone, you have no excuse. You'll definitely think about it.

"Just you wait!" she says with a grin. "When I get my waves, I'll leave the archipelago and go on a real adventure! I'll go to all the places in Grampapa's stories!"

You now sympathize with Merry about waterbloods.

Speaking of Merry...

"Don't you have some mint to cut?"

Nyla flushes and sputters, "I—You—I was just… get out!"

You laughingly bid your friend good afternoon and leave her to her task. You still have a few things to do before sundown.

At the outskirts of the village, you stop at a little mud hut. It isn't much, but it's yours, made with hard labor and a lot of trial and error.

The structure is a dome of packed mud and clay on a wood frame, barely chest height to you on the outside. Inside, you've dug it down to give you room to stretch your arms. It's just large enough around for a low bed, a table and chair, and a stone-lined storage hole. Nyla's said your place makes her claustrophobic. Even you're not sure why you built the place that way. It just felt right (and cozy).

You wonder if it's a quirk from your ancestors.

Hanging on the wall is your other prized possession: a cloak of sleek animal fur. Dark like the sea under a crescent moon, rubbed rough in spots by years of weather and the scouring sands, it retains a sense of solemnity that tugs at your gut.

"You'll be needing this more than I will, y'hear? Take it, fool boy!"

Along with the firestone knife, it was the only thing old Moram had given to you before he disappeared into the horizon forever. The cloak has kept you warm in the coldest nights, when the beacon could barely stay lit in the sea winds.

You've got your food, your knife, and your mentor's old coat.

Do you bring anything else with you?
[]No, you're prepared for the night.
[]Yes (write in)​

Equipped for the night, you make your way back to the beach at the leeward side of the beacon cliff, where a group of fishermen is preparing for a night run, if their lanterns mean anything. You think they're a bit crazy for fishing when the moon is but a waning sliver in the sky. They're definitely waterblooded.

"Heya, kiddo, are you ready for another night at the beacon?"

...Or maybe just one of them is.

You turn to greet Jard, Merry's husband. He's the worst influence on Nyla (and on everyone else). Now, that makes the whole set of Moram's living family, by blood or not, that you've seen today. Maybe Nyla was onto something about you being practically family.

"How's the fishing tonight, hey?" he asks as usual.

Recalling the stars from last night, you make your answer: "Tela's bow will be low in the sky tonight, so you'll have a better catch to the east near dawn. I hope you like mackerel."

"I will never understand how that works, as if certain fish favor a certain star at a certain time of a star cycle."

You shrug. "I couldn't tell you. It's probably something in my blood."

Nyla's uncle laughs at your joke, made half in earnest. "Sometimes I think you consult the veterans and make up something star-ish to say. It's uncanny, that it is. Just as mysterious as a snowflake washing up on a tropical beach."

You wish he would drop the subject now. You might've been the one to bring up your blood, but the obvious reminder stings when coming from others, though not as badly as it once did. The silence must be cluing him in, because Jard clears his throat awkwardly.

"Well, ah… How about you come with us? Your star-seer ability might help. It'll be more fun than poking the fire all night."

From the twinkle in his eye, you know he's joking, but for a moment, a flash of longing beats in your chest. They're going out to the deep sea, and you… Well, you've never gone out far enough to lose sight of the island. But you also can't help noticing how stiff Jard's crewmembers have become.

[]Decline. He's joking, and you have a job to do.
[]Call his joke. The wind is probably not going to be that strong tonight, and you're feeling rebellious.​

Last edited:
[X]No, you're prepared for the night.
[X]Decline. He's joking, and you have a job to do.

I wanna call the joke, but if the village runs on favors and good will, antagonizing other guys is a bad idea. Plus, we have something neat to look forward to, already.

Last edited:

Day 1.2 - Work as Usual
-
Day 1.2 - Work as Usual
-
You squash your feelings with vengeance. Your mentor took great pains to smack responsibility into your head, and if you forget, he might rise from beyond to finish the job.

"Not tonight, sir," you reply. "Duty before pleasure and all. You know how it is."

"That I do, that I do." Jard's focused his attention on his crewmembers, who act as if they weren't listening in.

The man claps you on the shoulder with an encouraging grin. "I'll leave you to it. Mind the nightgulls—a lot of them on this side're about to fledge. I heard some of the young ones last night at the windward cliffs; you'd think they're being killed with all the screeching they do. Good riddance if they were," he mutters.

Super-territorial nightgulls. Of course. Is it too late to change your mind? You glance at the sun. Yep. Too late. You'll have just enough time to correct your short-sightedness if you go now.

You wish Jard good fishing before you're rushing towards the beacon cliff with the energy of one who knows the pain of many sharp beaks.

You could navigate the trail up to the clifftop with your eyes closed (training for the new moon, said your evil, evil mentor), and this evening, you make it in record time. You'll have time to enjoy the view later. Now, you're at work.

The clifftop beacon is a simple platform hewn from the rock in a shallow depression, into which you've laid a solid stack of crisscrossed and layered logs. You keep your flint, tinder, and a flask of oil hidden in a crevice you've blocked with a weighty cube of basalt.

You have less than an hour to get the beacon properly burning. That's all you need, and after you check the logs' stability, you're throwing the first sparks.

While your job is to keep the beacon lit, it'd be simpler if all you had to do was keep the fire burning. In actuality, every night at the cliffs is a battle with the natural elements and the second-most malevolent beings to possess wind flowing through their veins.

...You've definitely inherited your mentor's hatred for the blasted nightgulls. And Nyla said the job was boring.

Boring? As if a man like Moram would survive a mundane task. As if you would settle for something with no action. There's a reason why you, a Giftless orphan, are an unusual pick in a fireblood's job.

...Now that's an idea; if your childhood friend turns out fireblooded, you can show her what you really do up here—she might even want to become a beaconmaster herself!

The thought makes you grin. As if. She's a bit flighty. Then again, she wouldn't lack a focus.

You wrap a strip of cloth around one eye to guard it from the growing firelight, as your mentor had instructed you long years ago. It still messes with your depth perception, but it's that or risking temporary blindness when your worst mistake could pitch you off the wrong side of the beacon.

...which has happened too many times for your liking, so you'd long since installed a rope on the clifftop to tether you to solid ground. It's tied in a makeshift harness around your waist and thighs.

Now prepared for the more lethal possibilities, you take a quick breather to check the light, and see Jard's crew of four sailing out towards the sun, now half-sunken into the waves.

Good luck to them.

Good luck to you.

It takes two minutes for the sea to accept Fire's domain into itself. And immediately after it does—

Fwump. Fwump. Fwump.
Fwump-fwump. Fwump-fwump.
Fwump. Fwump. Fwump-fwump. Fwump-fwump.

The drumbeats of war. The sound of weapons being tested. A whooshing of air far larger than it should be, had they been mundane gulls.

Then...utter silence.

You've barely taken two breaths in the waning dusk, when suddenly—

Kruaaaw! Kruaaaw! Kakaka-kruaaaw!

Kakaka-kruaaaw! Kakaka-kruaaaw! Kraaaw!

Kruaaaw! Kruaaaw!

The wild cries stir your blood cold with fear or anticipation. You're never sure which. Once the sun's light is gone, they'll attack—a full force of fury and whirlwinds that could destroy the fire and dash you into the cliff...with no help in sight.

You have about thirty minutes until your only light is the beacon, the stars, and a sliver of moon.

How do you protect the beacon from the nightgulls?
[]You have rocks from the cliff. Throw them and you might hit something.
[]You have a knife. Take them down when they dive in.
[]You have a decent staff-stick from your extra wood. Whack them at mid range.
[]You have two arms. Scare them off.
[]Run. Now!
[]Write in.​

Last edited:
As much fun as boxing with aggressive birds could be, I think I'll stick with a stick.

[x]You have a decent staff-stick from your extra wood. Whack them at mid range.

Last edited:

[X]You have a decent staff-stick from your extra wood. Whack them at mid range.

Throwing rocks at something is pretty damn hard, esp. with limited vision. Not that it makes cqc easy, but it's somewhat less of a hassle. Big fat nope on running away or sacrificing arms, so 'beat them with a stick' it is.

Back