Marine Misadventures of a Magicless Kind

@Nevill Welcome back! It's always a pleasure to see what connections and observations you make. I think, technically, there's enough information around to accurately answer at least one, maybe two of the mystery questions, even with the unreliables. Negative space is quite interesting to play with at times.

Indeed, order of events does make a difference! Y'all have yet to properly meet the night crew, after all.
It sure will be nice to get into some proper information meat in the Night segments.

I think all I know about the night crew is thats when arond is active, and that there were some recent switc
h ups :p

Hi! Glad to see everyone again.
Mine dudes, this should be interesting. Y'all do want answers, but to whose questions? Hmmmm. Guess it's time to take notes.
There's at least one mystery that can be answered/inferred already, but I so do hate handing out answers.
And I similarly hate getting answers we haven't worked for, especially since foreshadowing and hints are getting thicker and thicker the more we don't get something.

Like Arond's siblings. We based our previous deductions on Eis' words (given his proximity to the captain), and what Crow told us, and it was explicitly spelled out this update that Eis' knowledge has its limits and Crow is capable of basic deception.
...it's funny that we correctly reasoned out his identity based on false information anyway, when we thought Altiria was one of the twins. What we know may have been turned upside down, yet the conclusion remains.

But I thought it would be fair to at least tell us which mysteries we are supposed to have enough information to deduce. Because it's hard to pay attention to details when your search for clues is unfocused; there are just too many nuances that may be relevant to one mystery and completely useless for another.
@Nevill Welcome back! It's always a pleasure to see what connections and observations you make. I think, technically, there's enough information around to accurately answer at least one, maybe two of the mystery questions, even with the unreliables. Negative space is quite interesting to play with at times.
Oh, definitely. I meant to have a bigger post before I wrote "why does Altiria hate Crow that much" (since you may have become tired of our bumbling about and posed the question directly through Lisen), and realised that one of the children must be dead and everyone else is accounted for.

Incidentally... since Valicors and Viperiel are twins and share appearance and age, Crow could easily be either twin. In fact, it would be more likely for him to be Valicors, because Crow's deception is that Viperiel is the "youngest" child, and the common knowledge (among those who have the knowledge of bloodlines in the first place) is that the youngest is dead or missing. The only reason we know it's not true is because we did a search for Viperiel, and found something instead of complete silence.

But those results are open to interpretation. Why did we get the alive-not-alive reading? Why did we have to search for him under two stars? Is it because they are twins, and one of them is dead? Is it because Crow found a way to hide? Is it because Crow is using his perspective trick to confuse the reading? We know that our read on Altiria was "right behind you" even though it was just a nightgull relay. There is simply too much we don't know about star-searching.

The final clue, then, is the painting. Tiria and Cors were close; she would be a lot more upset about his death than Periel's. And there is the suspicion that Altiria possibly hijacked a star-reader's thought patterns to look for Viperiel personally.

So we had all this new information in the last update just to reach the same conclusion as before, predicated on circumstantial evidence. I don't know if it was supposed to be that convoluted, but it hopefully illustrates why pointing out the right mystery is important.

Right now I am having trouble reconstructing the chronology of the events. Moram was the "Keeper of the Light of Dawn" for long enough that it became his title. Who was the original owner of the Breath of the Center? When did Viperilon die? When was/did the Sheer Winter erected/begin?

...believe it or not, I didn't remember if the Vermilion Council's truce was enacted before of after Sheer Winter. I mean, it was entirely possible for Viperilon to shrug off death and come back, and phoenixes to go "look, we know you have an axe to grind with Remoriam, but how about you don't start a war, and we let you do your thing?" It was plausible... until I found a Rakky quote in Dusk 3.5:
"Did yore mentor ever mention why the Council of Vermilion voted t' keep themselves and their scions out a' the Winter? 'S said that Rekavok saw somethin' alarmin' and swayed the…"

The water drains out, and with it, Rakky's voice, as the roar of the corridor returns in full force.

"—no firebloods in the Sheer Winter. What d' ye think a' that?" she concludes. "Ye can answer yes or no."
and had to remind myself that no, these must be recent developments.

Sooo my current theory is...
Ferry turned bad, earth guy got toasted, Tarrow-Mira-Peril took Ferry down
So this was the original alliance during the First War. The absense of Remoriam is notable; perhaps he couldn't bring himself to go against his sister?

Then Peril got corrupted (?), and it took the Rising Three to put him down. There are speculations about who exactly the Rising Three were, but they are almost certainly Remoriam, Vitarrow and Miragua. Remoriam dealt the final blow with the Light of Dawn, and Peril cursed him with his dying breath, which is how we got nightgulls, the aberrant birds who wage war against all things shiny.

I expect the Rising Alliance comes all the way back from those days, made from the first-generation scions. How old must they be now?

As Firstborn are impossible to kill forever, Ferry and Peril revived anew, presumably without their memories. I don't know if they kept to the old grudges. I have to assume they normally don't, or this world would descent into bloody madness the more it goes on. But Peril invoked the Esser with his curse; perhaps the feelings have lingered?

Since I heavily suspect Mira to be the keeper of the last Jewel of Essense (yet unnamed), I'd have to assume that BotC was originally with either Peril (if the use of relics go back to the First War) or Tarrow, and almost certainly with Tarrow after Peril got slain.

So how and why did it find its way to Vespian? I suppose he was close with Vitarrow and under his influence for some time, which is how he got entrusted with it "for his reseach", which involves...
:{No matter what, I'll complete my life's work before the end. You'll see— It'll be the dawn of a new age, brother! An age where earth will no longer be abandoned, where no bloodlines will be lost!}:
I have no idea. Uplifting the Earthbloods? Fixing the Esser of Earth and Dorian's Folly?

Either way, Ves didn't find anything better than leave the priceless artifact in the hands of his mother, Alacria. Which is to say, in the hands of the person closest to Peril.

Now, I don't know when Peril got bad. He clearly turned to worse after the Torchhead Rebellion, but he doesn't seem a complete monster from Arond's flashback. Arond loves him, even. He bears his name (Peniron), although I didn't get the significance of Ves' name (Kellinan) being different from Arond's. Do all scions get new ones?

Ves clearly avoids Peril, though, and believes his bloodline needs to be lost. What gives?

Neither Tiria, nor Cors/Periel have been born by that time.

The next time we hear about the Breath of the Center, it is in Peril's hands, and Sheer Winter is in full swing. It doesn't take a genius to guess how he got it. Alacria seems to be alive and well, though? The twins were hatched towards the end of the Winter, which means she was around even when her mate's sanity plummeted. What held her?

It is not known when she disappeared. Maybe things weren't always as bad as "pit the kids against each other in gladiatorial fights, hold your daughter-in-law hostage, and kill the grandchildren", but I feel the war and the death - and the perceived betrayal - of the firstborn were the turning point.

Rekavok, who directed Ves towards his fate, got another of his visions, and held back the Vermilion Council and their scions from tearing down the Sheer Winter. Why? Who knows, he's the only Farseer we have. Reyzan and Remoriam broke their Oath, and went to fight the Climate Change. Which makes the New Dawn Alliance the Rising Three plus Reyzan? The firebloods stayed out, and presumably most windbloods would, too. Maybe there were more participants from the Azure Court, but we only heard about Miragua and... Eithanael, I think? The patron Firstborn of the Waterstones.

Was this when the Rising Three were felled?
"You forget," the First Mate of the High Revenge replies, "I'm Winter born! And by the Sheer Winter, my head was marked from birth. I did not run from the sunless day. Not when all the world was still. Not when time itself was void. Not when the Rising Three were felled. When strength meant nothing, I survived! What were youdoing then, Swifthand?"

The legendary Rising Three, defeated? The Firstborn alliance that stood against and defeated the Black Dragon in tales, felled? How?

Jella rallies. "He's Waterstone. Of course he's one of them! Honorless traitors! Traitors to their bloodline, traitors to their Firstfather, to Eithanael! They killed the Twilit Sea!"
There certainly was at least one Firstborn dead, but original Rising Three seem to have kept their lives.
...what happened to Reyzan, the Midday Sun? What was "the sunless day when all the world was still"?

The events of the Sheer Winter are murky. Vitarrow "shattered it", which I assume is synonymous with retaking Breath of the Center, but when did that happen? Jet who is 19 was born "towards the end of Sheer Winter", or thereabouts, which makes it very plausible that the fateful battle took place around the same time Ves died, 15 years ago. The Winter collapsed, Vitarrow disappeared, Miragua was grievously wounded and entered a healing slumber, and the armies of the New Dawn Alliance were scattered to the winds or captured.

Moram's interlude dilutes the matters further. When did he die?
I cast multiple threads of light into the pinhole, the amber lines glimmering in the depths, and call the name of my brother-in-arms as I have for near seven years.

Tarrow Mylston—Vitarrow, you insufferable morning-lizard! Answer me, you scale-shedding coilsnake!

The chances of my voice reaching my old friend are abysmally low, but with Mira still immersed in a deep healing sleep (and probably snoring up a tsunami, heh), I am our greatest resource.

"It has been nearly a full score of years, old friend," I mutter aloud. "Have you not found a way out?"
He had been calling Tarrow for 7 years, which would be consistent with Jet being about 11 or 12... and then mentions that it's been nearly a full score. A score is 20 years! If I am supposed to take that as a fact, Vitarrow would need to have disappeared before Ves died, or even before the twins were born. Which is nonsensical, because the Winter wouldn't have ended without him.

The only possible explanation I have is that they last met 20 years ago, and have not seen each other since... even though they were supposed to be allies? How does an alliance work if they don't make contact for years?

(Incidentally, the very same update states Moram hadn't seen his daughter for 16 years. Assuming their disagreement happened because he went to war, it must have been ~24 years from now, making the Sheer Winter last for at least 8 years. But since Eis theorized that Jet may have been born "towards the end of Sheer Winter", and he was born 4 years before it ended, the Winter must have been far longer. Which makes me wonder why the Torchheads took that long to rebel.

How old is Rakela, again?)

There is massive timeskip there, up until the events of the story. Viperilon sends Arond after the Red Herald as some kind of loyalty test. Why now, after all these years? Is it the first tyme Mylston was spotted after leaving the Labyrinth? Arond packs his vessel half-full of Cold Navy loyalists and half-full of New Dawn rebels, which is how everyone is busier watching their backs more than keeping outside theats out. Crow is forced to kill Cors and finds his way to High Revenge. Vitarrow's scale awashes to the shores of Florealis as he makes a stop there. Jet falls down the beacon, etc. etc.

All we know is that if Peril gets Breath of the Center back, it will be Sheer Winter all over again, with no Alliance in sight to fight against it.

I still don't have a good grasp on what happened between Cors, Periel and Tiria, even though there may be some hints in Crow's interlude. How did he get the scar on the throat that makes him speak in hoarse one-word sentences?

Anyway, I'll be back with my suppositions on why we should not contact Viperilon to ask about anything, and maybe Altiria especially.

Last edited:
And slitting your throat made you more honest, which is positive. Congratulations!
Its not clearly stated, but its....possibly crow slit his own throat for some reason

edit: it also just occured to me...that this is a ship. yup. just occured to me. specifically, that this ship will probably be facing a problem very common to low-tech sea-faring ships. The need to keep scurvy at bay. Now..I cant imagine there's been no bathing on the ship, and there's obviously glasses of water for drinking. but if it were me, I'd be keeping potable water and drinking water seperate (assuming waterbloods cant separate water from salt) and what would be a good way to dose everyone with a tasty vitamin?

Infuse it into the drinking water.

And what is Lisen going to do with that glass of drinking water he stole?

Could be for drinking...could be an attempt to wash away blood...could be an attempt to splash jet awake from...whatever state he's in. And given the area of the wound, two of these options would lead to the glass of water coming in contact with Jet's stained hair.

...It's probably a stretch. But hey.

Last edited:
He had been calling Tarrow for 7 years, which would be consistent with Jet being about 11 or 12... and then mentions that it's been nearly a full score. A score is 20 years! If I am supposed to take that as a fact, Vitarrow would need to have disappeared before Ves died, or even before the twins were born. Which is nonsensical, because the Winter wouldn't have ended without him.
From Dusk 3.1 - Morningfall

"These events happened three years ago during Florialis' dry season.["] -Jet
My intent was that Moram had found the hole in the Labyrinth Deep about seven years ago at the time of his interlude. He'd spent the time before that searching for such an opening without success. Jet is in his later teens during that segment- somewhere between 16-17.

Fair enough. Crow's name can be given a solid guess verging on a solid answer based on the information given up to the most recent segment (while taking the non-canon omake with a grain of salt), and further guesses can be made regarding his identity. Deception? Yes, indeed. Now, without going back to check older comments, I'm not sure if the theorycrafting has mentioned one particularly observable inference point about Crow towards that answer. Perhaps noted it as odd but continued on. It might come to mind during the Night segments, though.

The Vermilion Council, hm. The time period isn't incredibly necessary to know about, but they made their original group oath thing (that Moram dearly curses) pretty early on during their young and naïve phase, circa before Lamiferry's corruption. Perhaps I could bring up the exact wording of that oath sometime for worldbuilding purposes. It did, in fact, affect the more "recent" thing- that is, the vote to enter/not enter the Winter to fight.
He bears his name (Peniron), although I didn't get the significance of Ves' name (Kellinan) being different from Arond's. Do all scions get new ones?
No, there's several Northsea scions out there, and they're all Northseas (descended from Edom Northsea), whether first or fourth generation.
At a basic level, the given name is somewhat of a generational marker. It is the functional "family name / last name", which is earned by/given to each Firstborn by their peers during each lifetime. There are instances where some Firstborn have received a replacement name after they've already been given-name'd, but such events are extremely rare. The "given name" is a strong indicator of one's pedigree and the deeds associated with one's Firstfather or Firstmother, especially regarding the specific lifetime. (Additional ref.: Rakky's Records: 0.11 - On Names)

And what is Lisen going to do with that glass of drinking water he stole?
He is going to Jet's body to pour it on his hair and verify his identity beyond doubt.
...given what we voted a few updates back, it's still in the cards. Eis' drinking water is lemonwater.

The question is, why did he think it was important? We had his perspective recently, and he had no clue. He wasn't the one entrusted with the secret and safety of Moram's ward, either - that was Vitarrow. So what gave him the idea?
The "given name" is a strong indicator of one's pedigree and the deeds associated with one's Firstfather or Firstmother, especially regarding the specific lifetime.
Specific lifetime of the Firstborn, as in, the time when they had a continuous personality? We suspect they change when they are reborn.

We know Peril died at least once, so one change is expected. But it changed two times, and possibly more. What is the meaning of this?
What kind of actions by the Firstfather could lead to a change in the name of their progeny?

Last edited:
so somethings not letting me quote you right now @Nevill but as for the reason...who knows?

Maybe he heard jet was star searching. maybe the knife spoke to him. Maybe crow asked him to...though i doubt that last one. Just because it wouldnt give him the sence of urgency, i think

edit: though...if its without the knowledge of lemonjuice being the cure for jets stained hair...could just be that his emotion vision saw that jet wasnt dead, just is suuuuuper bad shape

Last edited:
maybe the knife spoke to him.
Other things I noticed upon rereading:
I extend my other hand to the beacon and call the Light of Dawn to me, but before the jewel can fully crystallize, I gently, gently push its essence towards the blade. The crystals sink into the metal, leaving no mark.
Moram called upon the Light of Dawn before his death, and transferred its essense inside. Jet's knife is now the Jewel of Sunrise?

Can anyone point out character ages to me? Any quotes hinting at how old they are would be helpful.

Eis and Lisen are about the same age. And Lisen was 15 when the Sheer Winter broke. If we assume it's been 15 years since then, they both would be 30. This agrees with Jet's estimate of Eis' age.
You eye the speaker warily as he spins a blade—a scalpel?—between his fingers, barely two feet from your head, all without his sharp blue eyes leaving your face. He's not much older than you, maybe ten years at most, but his wolf-gray hair and stubble ages him (though you're not one to talk about hair color), and he sits on the missing desk chair with an air of self-confidence that speaks of experience.
The familiar smile steals over your face, tinged with bitterness. What a fool you were those days, going beyond Arond's command… to pity a prisoner your age.
You're older now, just thirteen, now a cabin boy of the Sunflare; before you, the outer cloud wall of the Sheer Winter looms white and sinister, a testament to the power of the stolen Breath of the Center. At this distance, the cold creeps past clothing and flesh to your bones, but the presence of Captain Reyzan casts heat as a lamp casts light, banishing the chill.
You're fifteen, standing aboard the last skiff out, your face turned toward the last man aboard the Sunflare's battered deck as the Sheer Winter breaks, shredding itself into calm one cloud at a time.
You're seventeen, maybe. A little early into captivity. The easy days, years before Waterstone became a shrike.
Crow is harder. Jet placed him around 16 at first, then adjusts his age to Nyla's, then to his own.
Eis, however, considers him too young to be a Winter Child.
Crow jerks as far away from you as the tiny space permits, his gray eyes wide with fear and his cowl pulled away, exposing cropped black hair, so dark it could absorb the sunlight. His lower face is still concealed under the high wrap of his cloak, but you can tell he's older than you originally assumed. Maybe Nyla's age.
Just like that? The watcher didn't strike you as one who'd forgive so easily. You mentally adjust his age to a couple years older, to your age range—the newly-Gifted don't tend to like you much, and you suspect Crow was an "early riser" like Lisen.
"There are very few descendants of Crow's strength," says the gray man, "and most are first or second generation scions. I asked Rakela. She has a near encyclopedic recall of scions born after the Winter, including three of wind—two Bledforms and a Naskyn—all accounted for."

You grin even as something in you twitches at that name. Bloodline discussions are fun—you'd have been a 'line tracer if you had the chance to study at the College of Vermillion.

"Could be a Winter child like you."

"No, he's too young."

"Or short for his age," you counter, "especially if his slave history rings true."
Crow's flashback is where I got his age from and how I got my estimate when the Sheer Winter ended.
But in the single flash of your far-off memory...

The giant man stood in the kitchen doorway, as still as a turtle in the cold. You're not afraid but your brother is afraid of turtles so he hid behind you.

"Who you?" you demanded.

"I am Valarond, little one."

"Why you cry, Ballawond?"

"It is nothing. Worry not about me. Look to yourselves; you are brothers. That bond can never be replaced. Look out for each other... always."
This must have been right after Ves died, and the one time Arond got to see the twins. Judging by the speech, Crow is about 4 years old here.
This is further confirmed by the latest update:
The bond between Evening and Midnight Skies, between Vengefall and Father, has endured since the First Age, waxing infamous during their corruption, but now… that last question is difficult to answer. Otherwise, the observation rings with sense. The twins would be around Jet's age. They should have performed the customary solo flight by now. What reason, then, would Father have to keep them aground? Could he think them not strong enough?
Arond states that Jet and Crow must be around the same age.

Arond himself is...
You estimate his age as slightly older than Eis and younger than Jard
...in his forties? Huh. I thought he was much older. Do scions age normally?

This is all nice and all, but I just checked Racky's records, since she is a historian, and...
These are the records of Mirakela Northsea, Royal Historian and storykeeper of the Azure Court of Miragua of the Midnight Sea. Henceforth, they shall be called "Rakky's Records from a Barrel at Sea", or "Rakky's Records". Written by her hand. Begun in spring, 20 AW (After Winter).
20 AW. 20 AW!!

How does this work!?

Okay, so it checks out with Moram's "score". Though the "almost full score" would be 18 years at most, and that's if we stretch Jet's age to 21.
Jet being born towards the end of the Winter makes sense if he is 20 to 21. When did Vespian die?
Hmm... was I too hasty to link Arond's tears and Ves' death? Perhaps he's been reminded of his brother by looking at the twins?
Lisen and Eis would have to be 35 each. Why did Jet think Eis had 10 years on him, at most? He must have kept well.

Alright, so.

~-40??? Arond is born
Ves leaves
(time passes)
Sheer Winter starts
~-20 Rakela is born
-15 Eis and Lisen are born
(Altiria is born somewhere here)
~-0 AW Jet is born
??? Ves dies
(The New Dawn Alliance breaks the Winter, but is defeated)
~0 AW The twins are born
2 AW Nyla is born
4 AW Arond visits the Whirlwind Islands and sees the twins for the first time.
17 AW Moram dies on Florealis
20 AW Present day

When did Ves die? It was during the Winter, but was it closer to the end, or earlier?
Arond can not be in his forties. Maybe late fifties. He was an adult/adolescent when he parted with Ves, and that had to be before Winter.
Eis claims to be Winter-born. Meaning it had gone for 15 years at least, possibly longer. I recall Rakela making a similar claim, though I don't have the quote. Ah, there!
Born near the beginning of the Winter, with all the gray hair of a Winter child, you didn't join a side in the war till after your first Dive at seventeen. You'd been a fresh-outta-watter pup, but that didn't stop you from swishing right up to Miragua (O Lady of the Deep, may she live forever) and demanding a position at her side as a royal archivist—good thing she's easily amused. Present-you would smack past-you for not saying "please" at the end.
Anyone wants to add to the timeline, or quote something that contradicts it?

If Arond is indeed only "slightly older that Eis", then his and Vespian's meeting must have been in the middle of Sheer Winter, and I would have to decouple it from BotC, which would be in Vespian's hands, not Peril's.

Last edited:
The question is, why did he think it was important?
To be fair, you're talking about the guy who alternatively wanted to rearrange everything in Eis' room for the sole purpose of irritating him. (Dusk 3.3)

Moram called upon the Light of Dawn before his death, and transferred its essense inside. Jet's knife is now the Jewel of Sunrise?
Knives are metal, which is earth. No essence overrides earth. Jet's knife is firestone (as opposed to "knife of fire"). Consider it a vessel rather than an incarnation.
This makes me want to write more unnecessary scenes about the master craftsmen making waterstone/windstone blades. haha

...in his forties? Huh. I thought he was much older. Do scions age normally?
Kinda wondered if that would ever be brought up. I guess y'all do have a pretty small sample size to observe...
Make a guess at the broad strokes of Vespian's age sometime. Aging-wise, he's the scion norm. Arguably the pinnacle of scion-ness.

20 AW. 20 AW!!

How does this work!?
Rakky writes when she wants, which is often. No better time than during a nice, relaxing work/study vacation on someone else's ship, ey?

Anyone wants to add to the timeline, or quote something that contradicts it?
Haha. Now I feel scrutinized. xD
I both love and hate timelines. Order is necessary and should be followed, but math... I despise. It's too easy to get something wrong that can be picked apart. I'm glad it can be followed though, even if everyone is some degree of unreliable narrator and you don't have access to most of Vespian's timeline. Character relations and connections are far more interesting to me.

...Do you like... have a spreadsheet for this stuff? With all the legwork you do, I sort of feel like you do, and it's a strange thought.

...Do you like... have a spreadsheet for this stuff? With all the legwork you do, I sort of feel like you do, and it's a strange thought.
Im sure this is a strange thought, but when a story has this much for lore tidbits, and interwoven relations and such, someone's gunna pop up and be like "this stuff needs a spread sheet" XD

Not saying Neviull does, but that given the loyalty here, and how much information they go through, wouldnt be surprised. :p (or they have a speed reading ability, or a heck of a memory, or both)

Im sure this is a strange thought, but when a story has this much for lore tidbits, and interwoven relations and such, someone's gunna pop up and be like "this stuff needs a spread sheet" XD

Not saying Neviull does, but that given the loyalty here, and how much information they go through, wouldnt be surprised. :p (or they have a speed reading ability, or a heck of a memory, or both)
I wonder sometimes if it gets tedious to read. Like, I all but have a whole 'nother document for lore stuff I cut out of the most recent segment alone.
This quest is the only writing project that has given me trouble keeping to a lower projected wordcount.

To be fair, you're talking about the guy who alternatively wanted to rearrange everything in Eis' room for the sole purpose of irritating him. (Dusk 3.3)
Nah, this isn't comparable with doing things for no reason (other than get Eis mad, which is a good reason in itself).
He changed in the face, grabbed the bottle, and is heading somewhere. He is obviously distressed. He does not know who Jet is yet.

So why is it important that he confirms Jet's identity, as opposed to a dozen of other things he could be doing? I propose that he must have an idea already, and is looking for a confirmation.

Normally, a friend (or at least a friendly face) dying would be a solemn enough matter even for Lisen. You don't go performing an autopsy, or pouring chemicals on their hair, or doing a body search unless you are looking for something, and it's more important than basic respect for the dead. I am wondering about how he got the idea that he just had to check.

We voted to do this out of curiosity, but the emotion driving Lisen now is not that.

I find Crawkid's theory about the knife plausible; after all, Moram infused it with "everything he was", and Lisen could recognize the lingering essense of his Commander now that it is unsheathed. Was there anything more? Could he recognize the vessel for the Light of Dawn? It would certainly explain the need to know; random islanders are not supposed to get their hands on those things!

Kinda wondered if that would ever be brought up. I guess y'all do have a pretty small sample size to observe...
Make a guess at the broad strokes of Vespian's age sometime. Aging-wise, he's the scion norm. Arguably the pinnacle of scion-ness.
Vespian? Judging by his given name, Kellinan, which is the first among the Peril's names, it would have to be before his first death, which in itself happened...
"...You're not saying he's alive alive, right?" You can't help the incredulous note, and your companion doesn't look particularly… normal. The Black Dragon is a dead legend. The last corrupted Firstborn of Wind.

"'Course he is. The Firstborn don't die that easily, firehead."

"But he fell to the Rising Three many ages ago. His bones should be dust on the wind."

No enemy could survive a wartime pact of comradeship between a dragon, a phoenix, and a selkie.
..."ages ago". So anywhere from two to several centuries. The longer it goes, the less likely the memory of the event to persist, though it is hard to say for sure with the traditions of Gifting being entwined with oral history lessons. Jet may also be an exception in that his mentor had a front seat to the event, so his household was naturally better at preserving a specific kind of memories.

...which brings me to the question of how Firstborn families function. If my theory about Vespian is correct, Viperilon and Alacria have been together through his death and subsequent personality rewrite. That's... dedication.

Meanwhile, Moram had children with a mortal woman, I think? Those kinds of alliances can't last long, by Firstborn standards. I wonder how many families of the first type there are compared to the 2nd. There aren't that many Firstborn to not have them all counted by a dedicated voyeur historian. :V

*as an aside, the Rising Three have been listed as three different species from the beginning; why did I have so much trouble pinning them down? Probably has to do with Kruakk mentioning that Rekavok is the ancestral enemy of his people and making me think there were two phoenixes, while in reality the nightgull hated Rekavok by association with Remoriam, the true enemy.
Haha. Now I feel scrutinized. xD
I both love and hate timelines. Order is necessary and should be followed, but math... I despise. It's too easy to get something wrong that can be picked apart. I'm glad it can be followed though, even if everyone is some degree of unreliable narrator and you don't have access to most of Vespian's timeline. Character relations and connections are far more interesting to me.

Hey, I am not calling for people to contradict your timeline, but my interpretation of it.

No, I don't have one. Or rather, this is my speadsheet. This is where I try to formalize bits and pieces of information, and document my thought process so people would know how I came to the conclusions. They are far from infallible - for example, it's just in the last post I was certain the Winter ended 15 years ago, simply because I thought Arond was grieving Vespian's death in the interlude that happened 4 years after the fact. But it helps me make sense of the narrative.

It's hard to know the significance of the information in advance; the first time I heard about Light of Dawn I thought it was just another name for the Sun, and didn't pay it much mind. Even when I realized it must be an item, I thought it was just one of those cool trinkets magic people get to play with. Who'd think an essense battery notable in-between phoenix pinions, firestone blades and outright wizardry? It's later, when the Breath got mentioned, that I thought that Randomly Capitalized Things might actually Mean Something, which led me to connect it to Essers/respective essense, then to potential owners among the Firstborn, and from there realize what Arond's mission truly is.

The notes help a great deal, though. Sometimes I get tired of feeling "I think I get it, but not really" (like with the character ages), and then I comb through the text to find our first impressions or certain topics to get everything in one place. The summaries are an excellent reference point for this, reminding me where to look for relevant information.

Frankly, I suspected you had the timeline somewhere, because you jump across several time periods and PoVs, and the story remains mostly consistent. I think every GM needs to have a spreadsheet with timelines, characters and places relevant to the story; it's easy to get lost or write yourself into a corner if you don't have a plan. There is a lot of reboots on these forums because the writers wish they did things differently, or struggle with the decisions made early in the quest before they had an idea of a direction where to take it.

Okay, that aside, back to the choice in question.

What is Arond's mission? What are Blackie's goals? Why does he go about them the way he does?
"Arond must commit to one course. This is no capture mission, no matter what he wants to think." You pause. "If, in the end, he chooses Mylston's death, I would rather not fight you."

(But you know I will.)

A freckled arm slings across your shoulders, but you twitch it off reflexively. "Hey, hey, it's gonna be fine, little Eis. He'll choose right, and I'll be here t' help if'n everythin' goes t' the nor'easters."

"Can you fix the Sundered Seas?" Her silence is telling. "Legends say only the Esser can reattach pieces severed from a domain. I know what lies ahead if I fail. You know what follows if I succeed."

(Failure is not an option.)
"No experienced manipulator would show their hand like this for anything. Gray eyes, young and hotheaded. It could not be either of Pyresong's. An unrecorded Tugodeep? A hybrid line? Wait—the twins. Altiria. Could it be one of them? But why would Viperilon reveal one of their abilities now, after all this time? Or is it…" The First Mate clenches a fist. "Maelstrom! The flight risk will never let me forget it if someone on the outside is the spy. But Bloodwind is already shadowing us. What does Peril gain from this? What does he—no. It wasn't his style then either. At Jeketstrait." Eis pronounced the word with such hatred that your innards roll with unease.
[...]
"Improbable, but it is possible," Eis insists. "What other manipulator would have gray eyes?"

"Vespian did 'fore he was killed," you say solemnly. "And this could be a hybrid bloodline, ye know. But y're right—we never did find out if'n his siblings had similar abilities." Your mind shifts to a certain gray-eyed artist, who is noticeably absent. The little blackbird had sworn to Val the strongest oath of loyalty any living being could make. Kid couldn't be the manipulator, could he? Could Eis be right about him being Peril's spy? "But this'n cannot see Peril havin' 'em do this. To Jeketstrait, sure, but to Val? Here? Now? Don't get too fixated on yore one hypothesis, kiddo."
[...]
Though you're not sold on the "children of Peril" hypothesis, it looks more attractive whenever you eye it. Certainly less daunting than tracking an individual with a hybrid bloodline ability. But the closest route is not always the right one. Still, if Eis is right, it would change a significant record on Viperilon's abilities and a major post-Winter event. But the motivation is what makes the idea suspect. Why would Blackie send Arond on a high-risk mission and then follow him to take him out? Does he think Arond turned traitor?
"If Viperilon sought to weaken you, he picked the best time to do so." Eis' hands and water move lightly across the gash in his patient's thigh. You recognize the motion as part of the procedure for cleaning wounds. "This was an attack at our most vulnerable moment. A cheap strike. It would've succeeded, were it not for some quick thinking and reckless gambles by young stowaways."
[...]
"I know the lives I am risking, and so will everyone else after tonight."

"When?" he challenges. "At the last moment? What would you trade for the chance that Mylston still holds the—the thing he wants?" He exhales and taps the area over his lungs pointedly. "Is the cost less than that of making peace? Remember the Frozen Firefields. It's Vitarrow or Viperilon. One may be your death. You cannot follow both!"

"I am aware. The choice will be up to Arond Windor, not Eis Waterstone," you say firmly.
Arond has been deceiving himself about a capture mission. To find his Uncle, and take back the "thing". We know - or heavily suspect - what the "thing" is, courtesy of Arond's selective protagonist amnesia.

Vitarrow can not surrender Breath of the Center. It would be a betrayal of the Alliance, of the fallen comrades and future generations alike. The capture is impossible.

Vitarrow wields both Thelassa and Mylstrydr, mythical weapons that can probably sunder another sea if unleashed, and is a peerless swordsman besides. Arond doesn't stand a chance. What is the point, then?

It is a loyalty test. The old dragon seems to be obsessed with it ever since his firstborn died. Haunted by the betrayal of his own blood, he expects treason at every turn, and just as he breeds more discontent with his actions he is getting more and more ruthless in stomping it out, demanding esser oaths and holding people hostage. Arond's antipathy to his sire is no secret, and there is no trust between them. Thus, the mission. It is the kind of test that crosses the moral horison and cuts off the path of retreat, making it impossible to atone for if he goes through with it. If Viperilon could control Arond into doing this, he could hold onto him. He can let him live.

It is the kind of test they both expect Arond to fail, hence why Bloodwind is shadowing High Revenge. But Viperilon needs to know, and that is why he lets Arond go first. It may be the secondary objective, but it is only mildly less important than the first. Can the last remaining son of Peril be brought to heel, or is he a traitorous wretch like the rest of them?

It is also a punishment. Half the crew of the ship are New Dawn prisoners. If Arond chooses to fight, it will force Mylston to kill his former allies in cold blood. On some level, Viperilon must blame Vitarrow for turning his own son against him, and wants to return the favor.

Arond is never expected to win the fight, but he is expected to take a side. Everyone is expecting it, from Vitarrow and Viperilon, to Eis, Rakela and Lisen, down to the lowest crewmember, be they of the Cold Navy or of the Dawn Alliance. Once that is done, Bloodwind will take over.

It is thus not in Peril's interests to attack Arond's ship and sabotage the mission. It undermines the point. Maybe he could do this as a reminder, "don't you dare tarry", but the choice needs to be there.

This is why I think that Altiria's attack was not sanctioned, and is a result of independent action, emotions taking over cold logic. Neither she, nor Peril knew about the runaway twin taking refuge on the ship... and Altiria didn't have time to tell him, so caught up she was in mindless bloodlust. It is best to keep it this way.

Furthermore, the ship is in terrible condition, and is unfit for fighting. Normally it wouldn't matter since we were not expected to put up much of a fight against Vitarrow anyway, but Peril may decide the test has been compromised if Arond isn't left any other choice but surrender. It is best he doesn't know how much damage Altiria did to us.

Last, but not least. Altiria was just incapacitated or worse. Did they notice on Bloodwind? Maybe they did, and maybe they didn't. If Altiria kept her attack a secret (since it was a spontaneous call by Jet that attracted her attention)*, there is a chance Peril didn't know what she was doing, and her people didn't know what she was up to before she collapsed. Letting Peril know we had a hand in this could be disastrous. I don't think he cares too much for his children anymore, but he doesn't have a lot of them left either. They are his, to pardon or to kill. He would know Arond wouldn't be keen to kill a sister, so who would dare? Not a lot of people would be capable of laying a hand on a scion in the first place. Given that the big lizard was never big on forgiveness, and has a long and spiteful memory, I would not chance him not noticing a trace of his sworn enemy on his son's ship.

We do not want to hand him a vessel for Light of Dawn on top of Breath of the Center.

*note to self: peeping on teenage dragongirls is never worth it
**teenage by Firstborn metrics because she is described as a ball of angst; she is at least around her thirties in human years

Granted, Arond would only be vaguely aware of the 2nd reason, and have no clue about Crow or Jet unless he forces the issue. But he knows something isn't right with his mission - not just morally, but even from the point of reaching the stated goal. He has to suspect what it is that his father wants from him, but he does not yet have an answer to give him. And he knows his father does not have much patience for doubts.

It's better to maintain appearances that everything is going as planned.

Last edited:
...which brings me to the question of how Firstborn families function. If my theory about Vespian is correct, Viperilon and Alacria have been together through his death and subsequent personality rewrite. That's... dedication.

Meanwhile, Moram had children with a mortal woman, I think? Those kinds of alliances can't last long, by Firstborn standards. I wonder how many families of the first type there are compared to the 2nd.
...Now that we're mentioning records... I do have a document with all the Firstborn relationships haha. Originally made to figure who never had children.
Firstborn/normal human lifelong pairs are more common than one might think. Lots more common than Firstborn/scion pairs.
Vortis Vinstrom (the Midday Sky) was the unexpected first to marry a human. [Which probably started the Second Age (debatably canon/apocryphal, unofficial unless otherwise mentioned).] It was pretty much this world's version of Pride and Prejudice, and is a popular subject for various stage plays and novels.
Viperilon x Alacria is very much not the typical pair. Cross-lifetime romance isn't the norm, but it worked for them somehow.
Yeah, Lani was a normal, non-scion, non-Firstborn woman. Good on her, really, for getting solidly into Remoriam's heart despite the inevitable.

Descendants are quite literally the living legacy of Firstborn lifetimes, so the names are traditionally quite important to them.

Probably has to do with Kruakk mentioning that Rekavok is the ancestral enemy of his people and making me think there were two phoenixes, while in reality the nightgull hated Rekavok by association with Remoriam, the true enemy.
They hate Rekavok quite a bit. Lots of people do, even without meeting him, haha.

Frankly, I suspected you had the timeline somewhere, because you jump across several time periods and PoVs, and the story remains mostly consistent. I think every GM needs to have a spreadsheet with timelines, characters and places relevant to the story; it's easy to get lost or write yourself into a corner if you don't have a plan.
Oh, the beginnings were pretty rough. The whole world was clay, barring certain backstories. I hit my timeline-making probably later than actual experienced QMs, but the stuff is down in my documents. I don't enjoy the math, though I do get its importance for consistency, so I try not to mention hard numbers unless they might be relevant to story stuff/event timelines. It probably helped early on that I set general "goals" for certain points... which meant the quest didn't die at the krakenspawn segment, even if it was a drastic circumstance change.

The process is similar now, but with the timeline/necessary numbers on hand.

Arond is never expected to win the fight, but he is expected to take a side. Everyone is expecting it, from Vitarrow and Viperilon, to Eis, Rakela and Lisen, down to the lowest crewmember, be they of the Cold Navy or of the Dawn Alliance.
Good observation.

she is around her thirties in human years
Kinda wonder what you're referencing for this.

the big lizard was never big on forgiveness
Guy has his limits, yeah. It'll be nice to get into his background and motivations.

Now, without going back to check older comments, I'm not sure if the theorycrafting has mentioned one particularly observable inference point about Crow towards that answer. Perhaps noted it as odd but continued on.
Hmm, a "yes or no" game, perhaps?

Is this about how he talks to himself in his head?
I don't know how to feel about that comment. It's less of an observation and more a restatement of what at least three members of Arond's crew said on-screen. There is hardly any effort involved.

Does it mean that other observations are bad or incorrect somehow? :o:lol:
Kinda wonder what you're referencing for this.
Not fair! You know you've only mentioned Altiria, like, twice. There isn't much there for me to reference.

Most of it is circumstantial.
Is Altiria a young dragon? Yes.

First off, her psychological profile as per Lisen's and Jet's observations. She is "a ball of angst", a "daddy's girl", and a very impulsive individual - all the traits that are associated with a lack of maturity and a search for approval. It makes her sound like she is pulling double duty for all of the sons who failed her father.

Plus, everyone who'd been around to know Peril before he changed have abandoned him. His firstborn, his wife, his sister, and now Arond. She'd have to be malleable to accept this as a "new normal".

Crow pictures her having similar size to Cors, and passes her off as his twin.

Ves' and Arond's farewell don't mention her at all, as if she doesn't exist, despite it being a family matter. She must have been born somewhen after the Sheer Winter. Eis further confirms that twins' ages can't be far from Arond's sister.

Is Altiria an older dragon? Maybe?

Arond, who knows his family best, says that the manipulator can not be anyone but Altiria, because there are no manipulators as strong as her in Viperilon's employ.

The Waterstones' fortress at Jeketstrait was sunk 20 years ago due to treachery. Eis isn't the first one to see the parallels, and Bloodwind was noted in the waters. They don't think it's Peril's own ability. Then who did it?

Given that Lisen went to war at 13, and the generally early Awakening of the Winter children, I suspect this may have been the first taste of blood for Altiria. Which would make her age anywhere between 30 and 40 years.
Of course, I said all that, and then I did a search for Altiria - and what do you know?
You have come to terms with the impossibility of Jet—woodfire, seawater, northeast wind, scent heavy with another's fire-steel-sand-ash—being a blood relation. For one, you know all of your close kin. Altiria has only lately come of age, and Vespian had been married to his studies, striving to use ink to wash the blood from the name Kellinan.
Mind ye, Eis-boyo, Jeketstrait was almost 20 years ago. Peril's three little mysteries woulda been barely old enough t' walk!"
There goes my theory. Altiria is the... same age as Periel and Cors? Are they triplets? I thought it would be strange for Alacria to have children one after another after so many centuries, but maybe it just happened on its own? It would certainly explain why people confuse who the twins are.

When do scions come of age?

Last edited:
Is this about how he talks to himself in his head?
I run away from yes/no answers like the plague.

Crow's thought pattern signature is fun but hard to write. He's only a little insane, I swear. o.o

Does it mean that other observations are bad or incorrect somehow? :o:lol:
Any way I answer this in-character as me would just stir the pot, wouldn't it?
Ah, not necessarily. That's just a natural part of a character who thinks too much on top of having too many personal issues.

When do scions come of age?
Between 17-19 is tradition. Generally by this time, scions have more-or-less mastered their form shift. They go through a rite of passage to make it official. The details of the rite vary per clan/bloodline, though the end purpose is still to prove that the young scion does have sufficient control over their abilities. Emotional control is often also accounted for (because each scion is a powerhouse by nature). If younger scions decide to try earlier but fail the rite, they have to wait another year or so to try again.

A common part of the wind scions' rites of passage is a solo flight to a given location. Water scions' equivalent is a solo dive. Fire scions are more varied, but a flight isn't unusual as one of their tasks.

It's easy for a wind-blood or a water-blood to prove they can withstand their domain; they can fly or swim surrounded by air currents or water. What is a fire-blood supposed to do, dive in magma, or fight forest fires?

I would imagine fire scions have resistance to heat just as the wind ones are resistant to cold, so maybe they could? The consequences of failure would be steep though.

Flight can be connected to the Sun element; Icarus comes to mind as one who failed their domain test. It's a weaker connection, but that's why it's only one task.

Last edited:
Portraits via Artbreeder, pt. 1: The Misadventurous Duo
Portrait info breakdown may be subject to future editing.

Website used: Artbreeder (aka character image generation for short-on-time cheapskates like me)
Image names: J1a/8 (Jet1), J1b/8 (Jet2), and N2/8 (Nyla)
Image versions: Prototype Prime (the most accurate images to date, using previous pictures as reference)
Mind -> picture accuracy: Jet1 = 4.2 / 5; Jet2 = 4 / 5; Nyla = 4.7 / 5

Coloration: Mostly accurate; Artbreeder was super finicky with allowing a brighter white coloration on Jet1, and he should have a slightly warmer shade of brown eyes; the darker brown look works with Jet2 because of the different lighting and narrower eyes. Nyla's eyes should be on the lighter side of dark brown.
Age: I never realized just how baby-faced 19-year-olds could be. Makes me feel old.
Expressions: It's tough to make properly smiley guys on Artbreeder without having them look like jerks or potential axe murderers, so Jet1 should really have more of an uptilt (as in the prototype line-art). Jet2 deserves to dry-smile once. Nyla is accurate.
Clothes: Not accurate. Jet1 would wear brown and Moram's coat, Jet2 would be in medium gray; Nyla is ok with blue but prefers more orange.

Tl;dr: The portraits were generated through the Artbreeder website and are mostly accurate, barring problems because of AI limitations and shenanigans.

-
-

Since this is the first post of 2022, I wish you all a Happy New Year!

I've finally shown my typing again, so you know what that means, dear readers. Life's been pretty busy, what with having three times as many students as last year, which includes two times the conflict drive and five times the after-school study sessions. But I've been writing, slowly, throwing this next segment through drafts bit by bit. I finally discovered (or re-discovered) what makes the next segment go together cohesively, so expect something more substantial than these... very, very late reference pictures... within the next while. The night, and Lisen's perspective, has been a long time in coming.

Last edited:
Portraits via Artbreeder, pt. 2: The Winter Cousins

Website used: Artbreeder (aka character image generation for short-on-time cheapskates like me)
Image names: E3a/8 (Eis1), E3b/8 (Eis2), E3c/8 (non-canon Eis3), and R4/8 (Rakky)
Image versions: Prototype Prime (the most accurate images to date)
Mind -> picture accuracy: E3a/8 = 4.7 / 5; E3a/8 = 4.5 / 5; E3c/8 = non-canon exaggeration (but actually 3.9/5) R4/8 = 4.8 / 5

Coloration: Mostly accurate on all counts, sans the unfortunate blond-ish tint and non-canon Eis3 being off-color; I wish Rakky's freckles came out stronger, though.
Expressions: Again, it's tough to make properly smiley guys on Artbreeder without having them look evil or too friendly... but it works too well for Eis! See non-canon Eis3 for how hilariously murderous the "normal" expressions can get. Please note that the true Smiling Steel smile would be showing both rows of teeth and that the non-canon Eis3 expression might look more at home on Rakky's battle-face.
Clothes: Not accurate. All versions of Eis would wear gray. Rakky would wear gray aboard the High Revenge and dark blue in her war-scholar garb. The Artbreeder AI seems to use eye color as the source of the color for clothes, unfortunately.

Tl;dr: The portraits were generated through the Artbreeder website and are mostly accurate, besides the AI-generated clothes coloration (they seem to be highly dependent on eye colors). The smiles of guys can get hilariously murderous (see non-canon Eis3).

-
-

Ahh, these guys. Took forever to finagle Eis's face shape, because the Artbreeder AI refused to keep it the same. It was also difficult to keep freckles on Rakky while keeping her colors right.

I suspect that canon-Eis has never worn the facial expression from non-canon Eis3, but it had me audibly laughing, so I figured I'd share it.

Note to the High Revenge sickbay: Psychotic Waterstone isn't real. Psychotic Waterstone can't hurt you. He certainly won't stand there above your bed, smiling, while twirling a scalpel. You have nothing to fear from your First Mate.

Portraits via Artbreeder, pt. 3: The Last Torchheads

Website used: Artbreeder
Image names: L5/8 (Lisen) and M6/8 (Moram)
Image versions: Prototype Prime (the most accurate images to date)
Mind -> picture accuracy: L5/8 = 4.7 / 5; M6/8 = 4.7 / 5

Coloration: Mostly accurate; Moram's hair can't get redder without it looking absurd. Note that this is early-degradation Moram, so he hasn't salt-and-peppered up yet.
Expressions: Mostly accurate; Lisen would show more teeth in a smile, but this is a good show of his resting face.
Clothes: The big loss is that they aren't wearing their scarlet Torchhead headbands, and Moram lacks his cloak of Earth.
Other: Lisen's scars don't show because of the angle, but they do dent his face a bit.

Tl;dr: I have few complaints about these two except that I don't have the digital art skill to add their headbands, which are a major part of their look.

-
-

I love these guys too much. Somewhere in an alternate universe without the events that catalyze the Sheer Winter, they live happier lives.
Lisen Ferralong Redtail gets to grow up with his family around him. He becomes a passionate roving scholar of bloodline traits, for which he gains several masteries from various colleges. He and his somewhat dry and exacting Northsea research companion/competition contribute greatly to the research on inherited traits, paving the way for the discovery of the in-universe parallel to DNA. Lisen also revolutionizes the field of elemental psychology on a whim to tweak the noses of his competitors. They can't stop him.

In that same alternate universe, Moram continues to live in peace with his wife, Lani. He is there for every step to raise his two daughters, and eventually they all travel together to the Vermilion Lands to visit his sister, Lamiferry, encountering his old friends on the way. The years of peace are enough for the Council of Vermilion to agree that the given name Amortalis no longer suits Remoriam. So, the new given name Gontrualis is passed down through Merry's children. The small bloodline, though it contains no scions, becomes known for strong firebloods who display high leadership ability and low tolerance for fools. After Moram puts his beloved wife to rest, he takes his favorite adult grandchild, Nyla, with him back to the Charted Seas, where they have many adventures before they part ways.

The two meet when Reyzan finally convinces Moram to come with him to a Redtail family gathering. Moram is not amused, though he's secretly impressed by Lisen's passion for his research and sometimes aids his travels.

Eis3 needs to lay off spice.
He looks quite a bit older than Lisen. He looks older than his actual age; don't know how Jet placed him within a decade of himself. Perhaps the color of his hair has something to do with it.

Wait, but isn't grey hair color a side effect of an early awakening, or a sign of being born in the Winter or something? I dimly recall something to that effect. Why did Lisen keep his auburn mop? It's not fair!

Edit: ah, in the Winter, as in, "inside" the WInter rather than "during"? Meaning his kin were under Black Dragon's dominion? Is that why they got executed for rising against him?

Lisen looks great, the poster picture of a rogue! You could confuse him for Moram's descendant; there is almost a familial resemblance there. Of course, I don't know whether the Firstborn of the same element are alike.

The years of peace are enough for the Council of Vermilion to agree that the given name Amortalis no longer suits Remoriam. So, the new given name Gontrualis is passed down through Merry's children.
So it's the respective councils that get to name a Firstborn and their subsequent bloodlines? What do those two names mean? My first association with "Amortalis" is "immortal" (maybe I just lack imagination), but it doesn't fit Moram's own description of a name more fit for a time when he had "a wilder temperament and a swifter blade". I draw a blank at Gontrualis, though.

I wonder when the Kellinan -> Peniron switch happened. The first time Viperilon was slain? I take it the current name (the one Altiria bears and the one Rakela doesn't know) was one bestowed on him by other windbloods during the Winter or in the aftermath, and the rest of the world knows to keep well enough away from everything Perilous to find it out for themselves?

Last edited:
Eis3 needs to lay off spice.
He looks quite a bit older than Lisen. He looks older than his actual age; don't know how Jet placed him within a decade of himself. Perhaps the color of his hair has something to do with it.
Believe it or not, if you shave off all the stubble, Eis looks quite a bit younger--especially if you darken the grays to brown. His age really isn't far off from Lisen's.
Though if you've noticed, I've been playing it loose with apparent ages versus actual ages. It's a little complicated.
in the Winter, as in, "inside" the WInter rather than "during"?
Correct. That distinction does matter. Lisen was indeed born outside of the Winter, while Eis and Rakky were born on the inside/within its fringes.

Faction-wise, the Waterstones weren't originally aligned with Viperilon and only submitted to keep from getting wiped out. Although they're well known for forging amazing swords, they don't raise many warriors themselves. Their scions are the clear exception.
Lisen looks great, the poster picture of a rogue! You could confuse him for Moram's descendant; there is almost a familial resemblance there. Of course, I don't know whether the Firstborn of the same element are alike.
Glad to hear it! I must've gone through about seven prototypes until I was satisfied with Lisen's look.
Jet saw some resemblance too in their first meeting. Though, how much that is because of facial resemblance versus Lisen emulating some of Moram's style is... debatable.
There's more resemblance between Firstborn siblings than between Firstborn of different phases of the day. I'd say Reyzan Redtail in human form could pass as Moram's younger cousin or color-variant younger brother.
So it's the respective councils that get to name a Firstborn and their subsequent bloodlines? What do those two names mean? My first association with "Amortalis" is "immortal" (maybe I just lack imagination), but it doesn't fit Moram's own description of a name more fit for a time when he had "a wilder temperament and a swifter blade". I draw a blank at Gontrualis, though.
The given name, which the Firstborn pass on to their children, is decided on by their peers, which largely include other Firstborn of their own element but may receive influence from others--so Miragua and Vitarrow might've added a word into name discussion. The new name gets officially announced at official gatherings. Since a given name generally fits throughout each lifetime (because Firstborn are slow to change), the reputation of that name attaches to that whole bloodline.

It takes drastic shifts in character to cause a given name to get changed during a lifetime versus after the slate-wipe of death. The in-lifetime name change is a rare enough event that it has only happened three or four times since the Firstborn were initially named, and one of them was came about because the guy begged on bended knees for a name change--which, in itself, was an action that contrasted his old character.

No matter the circumstances of a given name change, be it through death or through drastic character development/degeneration, it's important to take any new name's meaning in contrast with the previous one. The name changes, but the reputation remains.

The given name meanings for Moram are pretty much flavor text, but I can explain them.
The name Amortalis encompasses the action of one who surges forth like a blazing fire, as if knowing that today is not the day he dies.
- They would've chosen this one in response to his actions in battle during the First Age. It emphasizes his power, ability to take command, and a certain level of recklessness in seeking out battle.

The name Gontrualis encompasses the image of one who wears wildfire as a cloak and is not overcome by it.
- They would've chosen this to emphasize his relentless will and apparent gained wisdom, as a cloak implies earned mastery; a cloak of wildfire further symbolizes his control and ability to direct power, even if it is not his own power. As a contrasting name, it shows mastery over self: endurance of character and a corralling of his old tendencies to recklessly join conflicts; a shift from outer to inner strength.

Yeah, some Firstborn given names are quite a bit more involved than Redtail, though that too has its own explanation.
I wonder when the Kellinan -> Peniron switch happened. The first time Viperilon was slain?
Correct. Viperilon Kellinan was the first.

The news of name changes does get around eventually, especially as people use it, but no one's been especially loud about the change from Peniron. Perhaps many still believe or hope that he still is Peniron and that the news of a name change is false or a bout of fearmongering. Others would be fearful of Viperilon's possible reaction to the name change, so they don't use it just in case.

Back