Marine Misadventures of a Magicless Kind

Portraits via Artbreeder, pt. 4: Children of Midnight
Portrait info breakdown may be subject to future editing.

Website used: Artbreeder
Image names: A7a/8 (Arond1), A7b/8 (Arond2), and C8/8 (Crow?)
Image versions: Prototype Prime (the most accurate images to date)
Mind -> picture accuracy: A7a/8 = 4.7 / 5; A7b/8 = 4.7 / 5; C8/8 = 4.9 / 5

Coloration: Mostly accurate; I don't think the AI can get that hair any darker without going insane.
Expressions: Accurate; Arond1 = how Crow sees Arond; Arond2 = how everyone else sees Arond; Crow = game-face edition
Clothes: It's gray, at least. I wish I could get Arond's black scale cloak on. As for Crow, his cloth mask goes up about as high as that "shadow."
Other: Arond's look is probably the one most deviant from the original drawing. Perhaps that could be chalked up to Crow's artistic expression. Otherwise, Crow's hair should be shorter, but I kinda like it this way.

Tl;dr: I have few complaints about these two. Crow's hair should be shorter, but I stared at it too long and now like it too much to get rid of it.

-
-

Arond2 is the default Arond-face on most days.

Please remember that Arond is a tall, strong guy who can catch falling wind twigs like Crow without hurting him or getting hurt himself. Our dear old captain stands a head and shoulders above average guys like Jet. The top of Crow's head reaches approximately right below Arond's armpit.

Yes, this portrait of Crow does show about as much of him as Jet saw in Dusk 2.7. Yes, I do have the full image in my files (he went through at least four prototypes before this one). If Crow had his hood up, even his eyebrows would be covered. He hasn't gone so far as to shave his eyebrows off. Aunt Anna will definitely tease him about that when she finds out.

-

This is the last picture drop (unless y'all want to see all the main pics in one tiled image?) before the next segment goes up. The flow just needs editing. I've pretty much been falling asleep right after getting back from work, so it's been taking longer than planned.

Arond1 looks like Lisen's older brunet brother. Sharp chin, thin lips, even the nose is similar. The torchhead looks more angular, but maybe he's just been underfed. :V

Somehow Arond from the portrait is closer to the man I imagined. He looks... older? Dignified? Something in the bushy eyebrows and the general expression gives him an impression of weariness that comes with age, even though no facial lines show it yet.

Crow's most prominent feature are his ears. They make him appear young and slightly comical, the way adolescents are. His glare, though...

Arond from the portrait
Considering all three versions of Arond's face are classifiable as portraits, I'm going to take a guess and say you meant Arond2, since the charcoal art does have facial lines.

Arond is everyone's older brother. :V
Lisen is the son of an isocelese triangle and a broomstick. He'd be lean no matter what you fed him.

'Tis a shame I couldn't get the Crow's grays even lighter, because people with light gray eyes can give some top-tier unnerving glares. I had to settle for letting him shoot darts from his eyes.

Night 1.2 - What Remains?
-
Night 1.2 - What Remains?
-

The night is still.

In the Uncharted Seas, not so far from the cusp of the legend Vitarrow's sword slashed into the oceans, a small fishing craft called Slipstream follows the east wind as Nyla Deepheart, a little descendant of dear Malariel, uses her rudimentary knowledge of winds to direct the boat. Shivering at the other end is Brand Graysmith, an... unfortunate child of a Ferralong and little Banter. The child, to the shame of his Firstfather Vengefall, is the hapless perpetrator of the party's lostness. And finally, a pitiful young nightgull by the name of Kruakkk, with the tickling given name of Fuffles, lies prisoner on the deck between them, caged and covered by a cloak of Earth, from which he cannot escape.

{Stay patient a while longer, child of wind, and you may find your own escape.}

The little one squawks in surprise before settling. The awe in his fluttering is delightfully adorable. Perhaps this child can learn?

Together, the trio drifts towards destruction... or toward other living creatures. Perhaps both.

I find myself most amused by their predicament. They are a welcome distraction from the waters of time, the endlessness of space, the song of the far-off horizon that calls to the void.

Hmmmm... To where shall I allow the night winds to take them?
[] Toward the nearest intelligent creature
[] Toward the nearest landing spot
[] Toward the nearest boat or ship
[] What if I gave them swimming lessons instead?

-
-

[A while before crashing Waterstone's sickbay…]

You're Lisen Ferralong Redtail. Normally, you would be searching for a dark corner on the lower deck to grab some shuteye (or is it shuteyes, since they're both shipshape again?), but the drive to know what happened during your involuntary sick leave stokes you to wakefulness.

Out and about for a quick look-see. Just the same, let's not get held back 'cause of any Torchhead-opposed airbrains.

You shrug your shirt up and bunch the collar around your chin and forehead to cover your colors under an awkward approximation of a hood—never can be too careful of who has decent night vision. A purposeful scurry while carrying a wood spar, combined with the uneven lighting, lets you easily slip past the lackeys actually on shift.

The atmosphere on deck is thick with the murmuring bustle of a lost battle. The colors of the twilight transition crew reflect the mood, more somber and dull shades of resignation, resentment, mourning, and regret seeping into half-vibrant valleys and seascapes. Rightfully so, you find, as you trail the aftermath of destruction with a sense of dark awe. What looks like a full third of the day shift is laid out, their patterns erratic with pain, slowed in exhausted slumber, or… empty. Blending into the background like an ice floe beside a glacier. They are objects: things without a pattern of emotion, of life. No amber-dawn fields, no lavender-soft cloth, no lakes of plum glass…

You acknowledge the first motes of horror and squash them with learned ease. You don't care a jot of a sword-tip who those people had been—they're not family or anyone you wanted to side with.

S'pose death happens with or without me being there to see it, huh.

It took you more time than you liked to pick Crow out from the crowd, right at the end of the line of sailcloth-wrapped corpses. Throwing aside the plank, you crouch by his ever-hooded head, which is propped up by a bundle of rags. Cast in the glow of a nearby lantern, the visible bit of his face between his eyebrows and nose would make any normal-sighted person think he, too, has gone to walk the Lonely Path. The kid sparks with a startled pale-blue at your approach; then he rolls back toward the covered body to his right.

"Fire burn me, kid," you curse, getting a more thorough look at him, "Didn't ya ever learn not t' exhaust your core like that? Ya look like shrikespit!"

His frostflake pattern is alarmingly dull compared to his usual storm, with an almost matte shade over the strange dual blue swirls and iron-flakes. It's why he'd been hard to find even with your sight. What could make him crack the lid he has on his power? What else could affect Crow's stubborn will so strongly?

{Go away,} Crow signs, flicking his thumb out of a fist. His hand shakes with overcast weariness, and his whole being is shot through with neutral iron and an undercurrent of gray-blue sorrow.

You plop down cross-legged. "Belay that, don't think leaving's in the cards. What in the life a' me went on out here?"

You expect to spend time bantering before he tells you what you want. To your surprise, Crow doesn't bother with even a rude gesture; instead, he begins to sign. You realize that he's relaying the events of the morning. He's been talking a lot more these last few days, even audibly, instead of letting your sight do the heavy inference-lifting (not because of anything you did). But this is… uncharacteristically open of him.

He's drained down, will and all. Burn and salt, what did you all have him do? No wonder he's lying around the stiffs. But why aren't ya getting him watched, Waterstone?

You think about it briefly as you follow Crow's signing.

Did the shrike skip the healing course on the observable relation of inhibition loss to will/domain interaction, or are we really that short-crewed? Or… did the kid out-stubborn him while exhausted and on the bloody healing table? Really, he's an open information hazard!

...Which is fine by you. You're not a good enough person to not take advantage of a vulnerable information source. The kid's not in any immediate danger of being overheard by anyone but you, with how the crew is avoiding the dead as if a cadaver could spring up and drag them into the ice water like Lamiferry Sorsca's undead horde. Hah. Superstitious airbrains, the lot of them. They'd probably throw themselves overboard if they ever passed by the real Frozen Firefields.

You relax your body language further, leaning back to observe Crow's slow, fumbling narration and the diminished swirl of blue and iron as it flips through undulations of guilt, sorrow, anger, and frustration. You hum at the right places to encourage him when he falters. All the better to fill your brain's yawning hole of ignorance (all the more to figure out what's wrong with him).

You get far more than you expected.

Kelpies, the manipulation of that murdering little snake Altiria (you'll not soon forget her pattern of white erupting ice-mountains), the High Revenge leaping out of the corridors, and now the deck is half splinter and half spars, and everyone's short one rakkety old seadog lady. That Crow, who rarely uses his winds, had volunteered to use his power to jump everyone out… that's one for the history records. The kid's downplaying it, but from the sound, you all would've sunk without him. You saw that hole in the deck! He's more than a little powerful. The stuff of legends, and you'd come out too late to see it.

Should've gone out earlier... But really, kid—battling against a blood-domain that's eager to pour into your mind, while wrestling it into pushing a ship up a waterfall against Earth's pull? That can't be easy even for a scion.

The old seadog would immortalize that deed once she returns to her college, you'd bet on your life and sign your affidavit. Least Crow's sorry state makes sense now.

Who were the scions of wind born post-Winter, again? The most recent three children of Peril, something-Naskyn-something-Bledf—

No. He's either Perilous or Naskyn, with that hair (has to be Naskyn). Beside that, by the south, why didn't Eis call you outside instead of leaving you to lolly back? Fire is one of kelpies' natural deterrents—he should've known that! For another… Rakky. While she and you didn't gel like seaweed and spice, the Torchheads who fought had supported Miragua's people in the Winter. That old seal's rank under the Midnight Sea's banner and her strength as a scion had checked anti-Alliance feelings, which included anti-you sentiments.

Your pool of allies is draining so fast, they're jumping ship into predator-infested waters!

At this rate, might actually have to properly make nice with Waterstone, me. He's horizons more predictable than Seffon. Less weird too.

Weird. Ha. Understatement. You've never understood followers of the Lucid Path. Desiring a closer connection to one's blood-domain is natural, but what those zealots do to reach that connection is far from natural. It's barely three steps down from essenflay, an act best left to dusty history. Your toes twitch in an emotion between pitying and appalled, and your eye twinges with phantom pain (right, still haven't figured how to pay the shrike back for injuring you).

As one who wasn't involved in the Winter, Seffon is a good neutral party in crew leadership… on paper. But Mirakela Northsea had been the real buffer between the "former" prisoners of Viperilon and the Midnight Sky's willing followers. With her gone, Seffon might reinforce the shaky peace, or he might throw wood on the fire. That'll depend on how and when Cap and the shrike decide to handle him.

You hope they get to him before he gets around them.

Blood and Inferno. Is that who I'm down to get beside? Waterstone, his wave-rippling weird uncle, or Peril's spare of a second son? 'S can't be all my options for getting a good night's sleep.

Crow's hands fall in the middle of your mental crisis. Silent. He watches you wearily for a reaction, flecks of grayed blue flittering in sadness and guilt. He hasn't told you everything, or he's lying about something. He's felt guilt all throughout his tale, especially in the part about Altiria. Why? What did he do, or what does he think he caused?

You take a moment to re-center, resting your cheek on a closed fist propped on your knee.
"For someone who's supposed t' gather information, ya give it out far too freely. Are y' really a spy, kid?" you ask, affecting a dry, joking undertone.

The melancholy blues in the little scrap's pattern split into flurries of wistfulness, affection, and a wave of pride mingled with cast-iron jealousy as he mumbles a response. Jealousy? Huh, that's a different shade for him.

"…'m my aunt's. Nephew," he mumbles.

Your eyebrows rise clear under your headband. Crow usually flat-out ignores your personal questions, no matter how casually phrased. Volunteering real information, and aloud? That's…

Earth, I thought his will was just drained from pushing his winds and from all the death, but is he actually dying?

An involuntary series of sparks snap in your palm as you edge a half-armslength closer to extend your senses to check his temperature as Reyzan's spread wingfeathers cast sunrays over your face, raising your spirits. A mite too cold, he is. You don't trust your fine control to fix that. At least whoever healed him dried him off. Waterstone's assistants are… able to follow his instructions. You'll still steal a blanket from him later.

At least you're assured Crow just needs rest. His pattern is drained-dull, not broken-patched-dull like Waterstone's.

You change your tone into something more conspiratorial while maintaining a humorous undertone. "Your aunt's a spy? Haven't heard that one before, me."

Make it sound like you don't believe a person, and they will do their best to convince you of the truth or dig their lie deeper, and give you enough information to figure out which it is.

If Crow's deadpan expression isn't a clue, unamused bluesteel flurries show he's not joking. He perks up slightly, pattern flashing brighter as he slashes a negative, points up (left-handed) with a tap from the opposite middle finger, then taps the pointer finger of a V-sign.

{Negative. Sky-at-midnight, she is (of).}

She is… of the Midnight Sky?

Knowing that the left hand is the base of feminine signs is what keeps you from an embarrassing reaction. He refers to Annacondra of the Midnight Sky, not her infamous brother, the Black Dragon.

Makes more sense if he's a Naskyn scion. Crow could very well have an aunt of Annacondra Naskyn's name. Naskyn, the mother of reconnaissance, Knower of Secrets. The origin of many techniques of infiltration and… well… spying. Naskyn, who has remained utterly neutral throughout the ages. Neutral to all but those who interest her. It's rare she even makes her presence known, content to let the renown of her sky spread through rumor and the actions of her students. But for her and Bledf—Vengefall's numerous offspring slithering around the skies and wreaking havoc and mischief, one might wonder if she had released her cloak of Earth and vanished into the sky.

"Must be a canny one, your aunt, if she's one of moon-eyes' blood," you muse.

A snort, accompanied by a gray-blue shower of amusement. Crow negates, points up with a middle-tap, twirls the pointer finger in a semicircle, forms a circle with all five digits, then double-taps a V-sign for emphasis.

{Negative. Sky-at-midnight, part-and-whole, she is.}

She is the Midnight Sky.

Your heart skips a beat. "Looks like my signing is a mite rusty. 'She is'?" You mirror the sign.

Even from his sideways position, he levels a perfectly even gaze backed by utter certainty.

She is the Midnight Sky.

Naskyn. I can live with a Naskyn.

More confident now, you leap a few questions forward. "What was it like, being her student?"

Did he actually learn from the bloody Lady of Many Faces? Ha. Really. Is the shrike actually right?

Crow shrugs, but the vibrant cobalt flakes rising in affection, pride, and amusement, clashing with iron indignation and jealousy (toward himself?)—that's confirmation. Woah.

" 'S no way," you mutter below the level of the sea waves. "Inferno, he'll be insufferable."

Waterstone's Crow-is-a-spy hypothesis was one of his dumber ideas, but really? The Esser must hate you. Doesn't mean your theory about the information leak is wrong, though. Why suspect the kid when a much more obvious alternative in Rakky existed? Unlike Eis, she had no qualms with associating with Seffon.

Blood and fire. I forgot to check for that! You focus on the deck sharply. Darkwood planks. Startlingly dry (water-leeched for patients' health, looks like). No significant puddle within twenty steps. Nearest water sources held by healers.

Whew. Still asleep, is he?

Crow can't have been fully trained, or he would never have been caught in the beginning—unless he planned that—and certainly would've been prepared for your type of information-digging, no matter his exhausted state. He's been trained to fight, no doubt about it. But infiltration experience at his age? Forget that. If the Winter taught you anything, it's never to assume people's abilities by appearance or apparent age.

…He has fooled most of the crew into thinking he's not worth noticing, despite being caught as a stowaway and using a false name. Got himself protected by Arond so no one could question him. Crow's oath was real, sealed in the essence. Still, Crow's warm blue affection toward Naskyn shines as clear as glass—enough that his exhausted pattern is slowly regaining color proper.

Wait—hold. Aunt. Not Mother or Firstmother. You freeze.

…Bloody earth. I hope aunt is a substitute for ancestor. Waterstone will be the abso-bloody-worst if all his stupid ideas are true! And I—

Shrikespit. What'll you do if Crow is actually Perilous?

"Hey, can ya do that—" you wave your hand in front of your body— "that disappearing thing?"

Only direct descendants of Naskyn could have that ability. If he doesn't—

Are you stupid? Crow's eyes and pattern indicate flatly. "Ne-phew," he stresses, thumb-tapping twice in exclamation.

All of his pattern spells truth.

Nephew. With Eis, you'd joked that your little friendly was the Cap's brother. Otherwise, you'd known his colors were a sign of Naskyn or Perilous ancestry.

He's no joke, though. He's a son of the Blackest Sky.

A first generation son of Peril.

The fire in your core flares.

No. Let no sign out. No change in breaths, no flickering expression. You are ice.

It takes all your control to keep your expression neutral.

Cursed children of Peril. Is he Viperiel of the bloody twins, or the youngest, whom no one ever sees? Crow's appearance does fit the age range… You'd been content before to not know, not find out his true background, if it meant your camaraderie could go on. The kid had grown on you fast. But if he's already a blooded killer—or an assassin with Naskyn's skills—or worse, a murderer who helped hunt down your people—then is sentiment worth seeing his inner pattern stay lit?

Your scarred cheek twinges. You can't help but remember.

-

Your newly-Awakened fire screeches in your soul like a scab torn wide open by a hot poker. But you don't cry out. Not when your father is already mourning the Awakening he was forced to give you. At twelve. Inferno, you were way too young.

"No, Dad! I can help!"

" 'S nothing more you can do! Get t' the forest. Find your mother and sister on the foraging trail—Bledform's soldiers 're after the children of Rekavok! No—no, no, Lisen Ferralong Redtail, run yourself now. Don't stop. Don't ya look back once, son. Go now—run!"

-

Your fingers curl in the shadow. Is Crow really your ally? If he's good enough to fool the rest of the crew, to get close to you too, maybe your sight isn't as foolproof as you think.

The flames in the nearest lanterns flicker as they meet your will. Scion or not, greater strength than human or not, they still bleed. It would take one movement to take his life. One. A single knife-swipe right under the chin.

-

"Ahh, I remember now! You're the one that the braid-bearded Ferralong sent away." One dragon-clawed hand lashes out from below, catching you under the chin. The claws pierce skin and anchor there, forcing you still, to look up into rust-colored irises formed into an expression of false concern under bluish, cast-iron forelocks. The suddenness of the Bledform's strike turns your yell into a choking gasp. "He said to let you go, because you were all Redtail with no legacy from Ferralong. But with those eyes? Only his were more repulsive in hue. I suppose Ferralongs really do lie long."

"D'n' talk 'bout m' dad, worm!" you grind out, the pain in the movement causing your brain to swim. Fear further clouds your thoughts. The claws are lodged far too close to an artery. With a scion's strength at that distance, your life could end with a finger-flick. If only you weren't low off your last fight! You'd burn that smile off. Where's the bloody warden? Did
he let this murderer in?

"Heheh." That horribly
familiar pattern of sickly butter-yellow curls in amusement. "Oh, you. So spirited—so innocent even here, a prisoner. I could tell your father loved you very much, lucky boy." The expression softens until it's almost friendly, but for the true colors underneath. "How's this? Convince me that he was truthful. Honor his sacrifice. Deny that you are Ferralong; cast off that cursed name, and I will set you free. I won't even tear out your disgusting eyes. Why, I'll even sail you to the port of your choice. Safe."

Your blood boils. Suggesting that you'd betray your bloodline's name to save your skin, in the guise of honor—! You'd rather die. Even Peril with all his deceptive words might stay behind that line. This isn't a
person. This yellow-hearted vermin is deceit itself… and loves it. Revels in it. Takes pleasure in ripping your heart-wounds open.

"G' back t' the Chasm, earthson! An' y'r mud-hearted father too!"

In one movement, the claw-points flex, their tips scratching bone, and slash up at their owner's will, carving bloody trenches into your face. A derisive chuckle answers your screams.

"A good dodge. I was aiming for your eye, lucky boy. Let this be a lesson about watching your language around your masters. I will test you next time."

-

Your hand relaxes.

They're not the same. Not even close. Crow has never shown positive feelings related to the Black Dragon, nor does he have a bone of cruelty in his body. He might be flighty, with the oddest changes in mood, drastic shifts in demeanor, and a streak of dark mischief, but never have you seen him deliberately hurt anyone.

-

"Ya really don't want t' get mixed up with me, kid. Sooner take care of myself than anyone else. 'Sides, the 'nest 's mine—get y're own perch. Don't need another daywatch up here, me."

A blank look. The odd, cloth-masked kid holds up an apple, spins it in on a finger, then chucks it at your head at close range. You impale it on your knife blade, a spark of inner warmth adding sincerity to your grin.

"Suit yourself. Warned ya, I did."

-

For the sake of the Crow you know, you'll give him a chance.

"The Cap doesn't know anything about you, does he?" you murmur.

Of course he doesn't, or you all would be back at Greater Obsidian. No one enters a crew in disguise without a reason. And if it's a family matter, Arond would've had to turn back.

Hesitation. A fist grasped at the mouth. {Secret.}

"Why?" you ask sharply, then bite your tongue. That came out a little harsher than you wanted.

Gray eyes close. Blue-metal frostflakes subside into that current of sorrow until he looks like a churning whirlwind of sad. He won't talk about it even now.

He's making it much harder to think of him as malicious. But wasn't Peril good at that too?
You sigh, then quirk a smile that feels as bitter as a salt crust atop a sea-wall. Pebble, toss.

"So. Aunt, was it? Her brother's your father, then. You the youngest of his, or what?"

Iron and cobalt bloom together in a storm of revulsion, washing away the dull shades: a strange cocktail of cerulean resentment-loss and steely anger-relief-loss-longing that makes your breath catch.

"He's not— :{He's not my father!}: Crow snarls. Metallic crystals of both colors create a whirlwind of diamond dust within his form. He blazes despite his condition.

Your eyes dart to the nearest crewmembers for anyone who might've heard, then rake the deck once more. Though you see nothing and no one glancing over, you can't help but remain on edge. Nevertheless. Denying Blackie not only aloud, but in the essence. South, he's a traitor 'gull indeed! Looks like you won't have to erase him from your increasingly short list of friendlies just yet.

Inferno, yes.

"No, yeah. Gotta agree with ya," you placate, hands raised in a soothing motion. "Nothing like him at all, y' are."

That's good enough to keep it friendly, isn't it, Captain Reyzan?

At your affirmation, Crow slowly, slowly sinks back down, brighter sky-flakes of gratefulness riding atop the deeper worries. Subsiding, but no longer dying down to that listless matte sheen. If he's deserted Peril, that explains the disguise and alias. Crow must not want Arond to get caught between loyalties. But why did the kid leave the Whirlwind Isles? Where did he get that scar—?

Your fire sparks. "He did that to you, didn't he?" You motion at Crow's neck, where he keeps his scar covered.

Steel-gray surprise, and shame mix with an undeniable swirl of deep cobalt guilt at the kid's shoulder. Not a confirmation, but the implications are worse. Crow believes the deadly wound was his fault.

You can take a guess. The kid gets into a situation that leads to one of the Midnight Sky's underlings striking him down. He survives by a miracle and hitches a ride with Arond, the most decent of his living-and-not-absent family, and hides his identity to keep the guy from choosing between family members. Almost gets kicked off when discovered, but since he wants to escape, even to the point of swearing an oath of servitude—

Freedom at any cost, even at the cost of freedom. Not quite your philosophy, but you can admire its unorthodox nature.

Haaaaah. Long and slow. "Who, then?"

To your dismay, Crow's steel-showers nearly engulf the cobalt. He outwardly curls in on himself like a wilting leaf. Inferno—whatever happened cut him deeper than the wound itself.

Hate it when the simplest option is the real answer.

"Don't answer that," you say quickly. You can infer the true situation from that reaction. Makes you feel like a bloody lathspit for bringing it up.

Freedom at almost any cost. 'S not worth facing the Tempest too early, kid.

{Thank you,} Crow signs, making you feel even worse.

But not bad enough to refrain from digging more.
So you change the subject back again.

"Ya know, 'm the youngest in my whole family. 'S how it is." You shrug. Mother, Father, Dena-sissy… Captain Reyzan… Commander Remoriam… all the Torchheads… always the youngest. "How about you?" you try asking again.

Confusion. Uncertainty. Contemplation. Cobalt denial clashes with iron certainty.

Huh. He doesn't know. How does he not know?

You look around carefully once more before leaning in close. "You're a twin, aren't you?"

He huffs once, your sight confirming the truth.

Viperiel, then. Burn and salt it, you still don't know how to react.

Emotions are a trap for good action. What do I know?

Crow is nothing like Altiria or her cruel older cousin, or he's better at hiding it. You'd seen Viperiel before, hadn't you? Standing beside the silver-scaled white-mountain brat on the sidelines—he'd been all branching steel then, like a metal sapling swaying in the wind. The two had complemented each other. You've never seen a pattern change form or gain another color, just change hues. Could you have seen him wrong the first time?

Chuckle. "Heh. Bet no one ever had trouble telling you two apart."

Iron confusion.

You shrug. "No offense to your skills, but ya can't pass for a girl without help. 'Specially not that girl. Color's all wrong. Attitude too."

Confusion melts into sudden, cobalt realization.

Your sight flickers. For a split second, you see double. Crow's gray stare and iron-colored panic. Your own scarred face, looking haggard with orange s—

Your eyes snap shut.
Bloody. Flipping. Earth.

"Told ya not t' do that without warning!" you scold. "Thought we agreed on that!"

Crow makes a noise that might've been an apology, but you're not keen to hear it.

The feedback loop that comes with you both making full eye contact with Crow borrowing your sight… that's bad enough. You don't need to see your own pattern again. Even your careful emotional control has limits. Earth, you need a distraction before you set your smoke on fire. Before you make good on your half-formed and conflicted thoughts of violence.

You count eight of your heartbeats, tilt skyward, then reopen your eyes to the night.

Can't leave him now. Not just yet.

Distraction, distraction, you need one… or a bloody pint of strong fizz.

Your hand trembles. Why'd he have to go and do that? Can't hit a person who's still healing.

Hah.

Distraction. Now.

Right. There's one pattern you haven't tracked since emerging from the sickbay. That wine-rich sunset, topped with a thatch of dyed-black mystery. Truly a distracting puzzle.

You smile tightly. "I'll forgive ya a little if y' can help me find that bucko, Jet. Haven't seen him yet. Got a couple of things t' say to him, me." To discuss the favor you'd amusedly owed him, and to deliver a cup of lemonwater with his name on it.

Crow tenses, eyes flickering to the side at the body nearest him, then back. Your heart drops, following less the motion than the trail of blue sadness in it. So that's what he left out. You transfer weight to your hands and knees and scramble sideways. Crow's pattern puffs out in a cloud of cerulean-peppered shards, the fluttery fragments extending with the bend of his outstretched arm as he tries to stop you.

" 'S'earth, no… no, no, no, bucko." Easily batting aside the kid's weak flailing, you snatch at the sailcloth covering the body and tug it down.

Schist—not another one.

You can barely recognize Jet as the same person without the pattern of a burgeoning sunrise brimming up from every corner like the finest vintage. Even a sleeping man's pattern doesn't subside to nothing. This vessel—this one is empty. A knife thrust straight through the forehead. Both hands on the handle, too. You didn't peg the stray to be a suicide risk. He seemed to be taking the trip well.

Shows that your sight has limits.

I couldn't care less about most of the others, but you—you had no part in our war. Blood and Inferno. You shouldn't have been here.

Your hand rises, touches your forehead over your headband, then lowers to rest at your sternum in salute.

Inferno, Tempest, Maelstrom… whichever… receive him well. Even if he ran to the last. Jet, whoever you were, hope you found it in the end… some kind of peace.

Crow calms, stirring light flurries in his inner storm, but his gray eyes track your face with a heightened suspicion that hadn't been directed at you for weeks. Normally it would be amusing, but this time it makes you uncomfortable. Did he think you'd attack him (would you?)... or has he finally regained enough lucidity to recognize your brute-force digging at his secrets, or does he think you'll disrespect a dead person's memory?

" 'S no use ribbing the dead, Crow, no more than trying t' anger a stone. Can't joke with an empty eggshell. Can't argue with someone who isn't at home and'll never come back."

Truly a shame. But now, respects paid, that empty shell won't need weapons anymore. Good steel is hard to find on the seas, but this one… You marvel at what little of the blade you can see, embedded in the skull. Looks almost like the weapon Commander Remoriam commissioned from the Twilit Sea, Eithanael Waterstone himself.

It looks… very similar. It's—

Shock floods your core. No. It's not just similar. You recognize it!

You'd heard that Commander Remoriam had cut a piece from his own cloak of Earth to get the blade forged. A literal piece of the Morning Sky's earth-touched form—he would never have parted from it. Why did this bucko have it? How could he have it? You immediately grasp at the knife to pull it out, but in vain. You're no weakling, but the body's hands around the hilt are a vice, and the stiff arms lock it in place. You're not willing (yet) to sacrifice discretion for force.

A near-voiceless cry reaches your ears, and you squash a flash of guilt. From the look of it, if Crow hadn't been as weak as a newborn chick, he would be wrestling you off the body. Regardless of his feelings or tonight's revelations, though, you can't let anyone else get their hands on the only sign of the Torchheads—of Commander Remoriam—you've seen since the Winter.

You consider breaking the corpse's fingers or cutting them off with your own knife. The dead don't need fingers anyway.

As if in response to your thoughts, threads of gold fire fork like lightning from the blade, striking like a snake of light and intent—searing your hand, flashing up your arm, and lancing straight for your core!

"Earth—!" you yelp, stumbling back, clutching your hand.

It burned you! You, a son of fire! Inferno, if you had let go an eyelash-flick later, you'd be dead or worse!

Crow doesn't react as you would expect, his cobalt-and-steel storm flurrying with a weird mix of longing, grief, and mixed anger, indignation, and concern for your reaction. Which meant…

He can't see it?

No, he can see something. The glow of the knife shines off his eyes, but it's a steady orange, not the lashing of ribboning gold. Ahh. The blade is no longer empty steel, but firestone. Dangerous stuff on its own. Impossible to miss in the dark. But if Crow can't see what you're seeing…

Reflections don't show people's patterns.

A knife, as an empty vessel of earth, can certainly be imbued with the essence. But never have you heard of a fire, water, or windstone blade holding emotion and will—holding a pattern. It goes against anything you've ever seen or learned. Only the living have a pattern! Yet in defiance of that, gold threads flicker around, within the blade, inside its earth-flesh receptacle:

Joy-sorrow-love-rage-desperation-hope-resolve-neverbetrayyournewmaster!

"Inferno," you breathe. Is it because he used his own earth for the blade?

Commander Remoriam!

You resist the urge to touch your forehead in respectful salute, now hyper-aware of the pinion tucked into the folds of your headband. Even the feather, imbued by the Commander's own spark, doesn't carry his will. It's like he's right in front of you, but... staring at the knife makes your head hurt with its intensity, the intent of a fathomless lifetime shining with the light of the sun at dawn. It's him, but not him. Him, with all his emotions raging. Far from the controlled leader you know.

But if it is his pattern, his will, how could it be separate from him?

A dawning dread curls its hair. You know it in your heart, in your core, what must have happened.

You hadn't known that you had kept a spark of hope that someone, no matter how distant, had made it. Had circumvented prophecy. The disappearance of that crutch leaves you feeling poured out, your chest like stone, your throat like the tiniest bottleneck.

Captain Reyzan's kind face flashes through your mind's eye as he stands on the deck of the Sunflare, with Commander Remoriam looking gruff and stern beside, with that undefinable wild ember shared between them. Your distant aunt Lizel Redwill, who had taken your mother and sister under her wing after your father's death (where are they?). The others, each Torchhead with their courage and deeds of excellence written in their names, whose backs you could never hope to reach. Even Cooky, who dealt enough pecks to your shoulders as you ran off with an extra slice of his fish pie.

But the foretelling of your unfortunate Firstfather, Rekavok, had caught up with them all. The oathbreakers are gone. The fires are out. The brave scions of fire and their glorious leaders are ash on the wind.

I am the last Torchhead.

The world had never felt so cold before. Yet your face is warm, beading sweat as if in a battle, without the comforting rush. There is nothing to fight.

Your burned hand twinges, sending shockwaves up your arm, and you examine it with a surge of frantic energy.

Commander Remoriam never let anyone touch his weapons. Not even Captain Reyzan. Yet this bucko is protected by the commander's will? Who are you, Jet? His nephew? A son?

Neither would explain why Jet wasn't Awakened when you met.

The light in the nearest lantern dims and dies at your bidding. It's sheer luck that Waterstone hadn't the chance to reclaim his meticulously self-woven, water-imbued clothing. Nothing else beyond a cloak of Earth would've hidden that outburst of the Commander's will.

You're not done trying. Good thing you know a thing or two about the essence and about your secondary mentor. His inner fire hadn't emerged until you intended to harm Jet. So—
I will do no harm right now, Commander, you swear in the essence, reaching for the body once more. But not for the knife. The blazing golden threads of the Morning Sun's will... They don't withdraw, but they remain docile as you pat the clothing down with practiced ease, feeling for anything Jet might've kept in the folds.

Looting the body gives more questions than answers. Crow hums in surprise. The drop in your chest grows with each finding.

A filled echo shell?—a palm-sized dragon scale, of the colors of the Morning Sky? Which one? Alacria had vanished just before the Sheer Winter ended, and Vitarrow? Ha. He was in no place to shed scales after the Winter. You place the mirror-like scale over one eye and inhale sharply. It's properly imbued! What's a son of earth doing with a lower artifact of water and upper artifacts of Wind and Fire? For a kid who lived in a place so far from the Winter, how can he carry two pieces so closely connected to its players?

Either he's a thief, or…

Was he so important, Commander?

Ignoring Crow's signed question, you lurch to your feet and scamper for the communal water barrel someone hauled on deck, snatch the dipper, fill it, and dash back. Water laced with lemon juice sloshes over your hand in your haste. You hiss at the sting of lemon on your burns.

With impatience and held-back desperation, you pour that lemonwater over the corpse's head with all the care of a shower bucket, then grab the edge of the sailcloth to rub out the stains. With each pass, the black ink slithers off like oil, gradually exposing the true colors of those strands. Dark blue? No, blue-gray? You snap a spark near.

'S a little too light for—!

You drop the dipper. "Fire blind me! Blood and Corruption, Earth!" Your dire curses leave Crow staring as if you'd summoned Peril himself. Then he points to his eyes in warning, takes a breath, and sees what you see.

Your horror is reflected in Crow's pattern as blue loss-grief-guilt mingles with a touch of iron fear.

White. His hair is white.

White, like the depths of the Sheer Winter.

White, like untouched snowfall. Like empty clouds. Like the hottest fire.

White, the color of all domains combined as one.

You remember the tales your father told you of the First Age: tales that your Firstfather, Rekavok Ferralong, had passed down. Tales of the first humans. Tales of the ones who cursed the land and caused Earth to sink into the sea. Tales of monsters with unlimited control over all the domains.

'A thousand fortunes at their side, ten thousand curses at their right hand.' Dad, it can't be true, really?

The blue-black remains of the bucko's involuntary disguise, which had likely saved his skin, are still staining your fingers… saved the skin of one whom the Morning Sun had wanted to protect—no, is still protecting.

There's no way those Kalmeri scholars weren't involved in this! Blood of Earth, were they trying to break the covenant of the Gift, breaking the boundaries between domains? Were they performing human experiments to do it? Chasm and Abyss—Commander, you sure have a lot of explaining to do!

You can't help but admire Commander Remoriam's sense of humor—or irony—or spite, in protecting someone whose very existence might see even the reformed, uncorrupted, scholarly Viperilon Peniron empty out his garrisons—to destroy an individual whose existence should be impossible.

"Stay here," you tell Crow unnecessarily.

You stand, lurch unsteadily with the wave-balance as blood resumes proper flow, and throw yourself into a half-hurried lope for the sickbay. Skirting around the crew is just as diverting. Their colorful patterns are just as vivid to your eyes in the guttering shadows as in daylight. But you have no time to appreciate them.

Kalmeri… those scholars're Miragua's people. There's nothing they do that Miragua doesn't know of. If they really were trying to break the barriers between domains, to forcibly recreate the ancient paths of access, would she let it happen? Would the Midnight Sea go against the will of the Esser? Would any of the Rising Three?

Even if the scholars
were acting against her will, did our people know what they were fighting for? Were we helping the right side, Captain Reyzan? Our healers took no sides, but Commander Remoriam's warriors…

Inferno, it doesn't make sense!

We thought Peril was corrupted again. Thought he'd resumed his old schemes, destroying the colleges. But if that was wrong, if Kalmeri was researching the forbidden, and he found out they were trying to forge the monster… to revive the sons of Earth…

You can't help one terrifying thought.

What if the Black Dragon's attack was justified?

With a final surge, you fling the sickbay door open. The moment you made eye contact with Waterstone, you knew it was a mistake. Your eyes dart to the bottle of ink on his desk. Snatch! Remembering Crow, you grab at the bedsheet draped over the drugged-to-the-gills patient, then make a quick turn, racing out the door, heart pounding.

Shrikespit, you didn't figure Waterstone to be in his den yet! You should've had your emotions under wraps—he's after you!

It won't take long to ink the bucko back up, yeah? Get the colors back on. If I distract Waterstone a bit, could buy enough time. Sure, enough time to burn it all off if the ink doesn't stick. Gives me enough time to think!

The cool glass of the ink bottle is a balm on your burned hand as you dodge around the nighties going about getting the ship back shipshape.

Am I running hot enough to heal it?

Your loyalty belongs to the Torchheads, to those scions of fire who fought against the night to their last flame, knowing they would die. To your Firstfather, who holds your oath. To the Morning Sun, whose dawn may no longer rise. To all of the scions of fire who fought. Then, there's Jet. He carries the will of Commander Remoriam lodged in his head. Every fiber of you says to follow it—to follow the command of your second mentor. You can't shake the image in your mind's eye: the bucko's body, its visible eye half-lidded, glaring like burnt orange glass. Admonishing. Judging. But for the first time… there's a sliver of doubt toward the Morning Sun.

Captain Reyzan, those who chose to attack with the commander instead of defending… They weren't wrong, were they?

They can't have been.

Waterstone has almost caught up. Eis. Freaking Eis. How would he react to the cluster of fire-bombs you've uncovered tonight? Would he keep it all inside in his weird way of protecting Arond by leaving him in the dark (hah, in the dark), or would he tell the son of Peril everything? Not very predictable in that wise, he's not.

You weave between debris piles, skip over tangled rope, and dodge a mast as you zigzag back. You're in easy throwing distance to where Crow lies beside the incriminating body.

You make a split-second decision.
[] Toss the ink to Crow and conceal the action. He'll know what to do.
[] Hold onto the ink. You won't entrust the dye job to anyone else.
[] Offer the ink back to Eis. Play your theft off as a joke.
[] Explain to Eis exactly why you need the ink.

The sure bootsteps come to a halt behind you.

You turn to face the gray shrike and his pale green shards, each piece turning into jagged facets in his smile. The lanterns carve dark, grotesque shadows into the corners of his lips, making them look like the sickly gums of a jungle cat on the hunt. He'll say your name, you decide, then say something like… "What is the meaning of this?"

"Lisen Ferralong Redtail," Waterstone drawls, blue eyes glinting, "What is the meaning of this?"

Too bad you can't take pleasure in being right again. This spot of the deck isn't nearly as dry as you would like (is Seffon awake now?). Any choice you make could change who you're aligned with. Any choice can be the difference between a chance at more information or a chance to lose it. A chance to build up an alliance or a chance to destroy one.

Your blood is running hot.
(Fight or flight; great emotional stress: Control heightened, no accidental fires)

Firstly, should you involve Waterstone in your discoveries at all?
[] Somewhat. Show him only the two items you pulled off Jet, but tell Waterstone you found them in Rakky's belongings.
[] No. Offer to help him with whatever task he's on, but avoid sounding like you want to help him.
[] No. Blind him with a fire-flash and kick him in the face in return for him injuring your eye. Then run.
[] Yes. Show him Jet's undisguised hair, but don't mention the items you took.
[] Yes. Show him Jet's undisguised hair and the items you took.
[] Yes. Show Waterstone Jet's hair and items and explain Commander Remoriam's knife.

Then, what should be done about Crow?
[] Reserve. Don't tell Waterstone anything you found out about Crow.
[] Deflect. Scold Waterstone for not getting Crow watched as a potential information leak (and for skimping on the blanket).
[] Inform. Tell Waterstone that Crow is a spy from Annacondra Naskyn.
[] Obey all orders. Tell Waterstone that Crow is a Naskyn spy and that he's a son of Peril.

Finally, what should be done about Jet? You'll be taking Commander Remoriam's knife the moment you can.
[] With Remoriam (Lamiferry's brother) involved, you can't be too careful about the old tales of the walking dead. Use fire and any necessary tools to turn the body to ash from a safe distance.
[] Stow the body somewhere else as soon as possible. Shouldn't be too hard to hide contraband that big, ey?
[] Don't bother moving the body. You'll have at least the night to get that knife before they chuck him over the side with the others.
[] Write in.

-

Main perspective next segment?
[] Eis
[] Lisen
[] Nyla

-

Lost: Marvelous scale -> Lisen
Lost: Echo shell -> Lisen
[[Added:]] Official M3K Playlist (theme labels in the playlist's description) (aka 90% Two Steps From Hell; 10% other)

Last edited:
[X] Toward the nearest landing spot

[X] No. Offer to help him with whatever task he's on, but avoid sounding like you want to help him.

[X] Toss the ink to Crow and conceal the action. He'll know what to do.

[X] Deflect. Scold Waterstone for not getting Crow watched as a potential information leak (and for skimping on the blanket).

[X] Stow the body somewhere else as soon as possible. Shouldn't be too hard to hide contraband that big, ey?

[X] Lisen

I'm not sure these are the best choices, been a while since I read this story, but these are my choices.

The body being burned is Jet, so that might make Jet deader than already dead.

Last edited:
I'm really glad to see this update, it was great!
I reread the quest a couple of times the last few days, but I'm still not sure how to vote, so thank you for the long voting period.

[X] Toward the nearest boat or ship

[X] Toss the ink to Crow and conceal the action. He'll know what to do.

[X] Somewhat. Show him only the two items you pulled off Jet, but tell Waterstone you found them in Rakky's belongings.

[X] Deflect. Scold Waterstone for not getting Crow watched as a potential information leak (and for skimping on the blanket).

[X] Don't bother moving the body. You'll have at least the night to get that knife before they chuck him over the side with the others.

[X] Eis

Last edited:
@Marlin Indeed, people die if they are killed. :V
I'm really glad to see this update, it was great!
I reread the quest a couple of times the last few days, but I'm still not sure how to vote, so thank you for the long voting period.
It's great to have you aboard! Glad you enjoyed the update. :D I'm flattered that you've been re-reading--that's a pretty high compliment to me, and I hope I can do it justice.
I've figured that since my updates run longer and more complicated these days (and have pretty long gaps between), it's more fair to give y'all some extra long voting times.
I know some of you like to go over the details of each part with a fine-toothed comb, so I hope the thinking time helps.

I am being late again. :(

Considering all three versions of Arond's face are classifiable as portraits, I'm going to take a guess and say you meant Arond2, since the charcoal art does have facial lines.
Nah, I meant the line art, which is supposed to be Crow's portrait of Arond. He doesn't look older, per se, just... burdened.

Crow must not want Arond to not get caught between loyalties.
Too many negatives.
Earth. you need a distraction before you set your smoke on fire.
Every fiber of you says to follow it. to follow the command of your second mentor.
Dots instead of commas.
Crow calms, stirring light flurries in his inner storm, but his gray eyes track your face with a heightened suspicion that hadn't been directed at you for weeks.
"directing"
Edit: nvm, I somehow read a "he" pronoun in there.
The night is still.
[...]
{Stay patient a while longer, child of wind, and you may find your own escape.}
[...]
I find myself most amused by their predicament. They are a welcome distraction from the waters of time, the endlessness of space, the song of the far-off horizon that calls to the void.
The impersonal narration had me confused for a second, and then the use of "I" caught me off-guard for the second time. It was then that I noticed that all prior segments were told from a certain viewpoint, and this one must be no different, but it lacks a distinctive "You are them." Must be important spoilers, then!

The sentences flow like water, making it sound calm, deep and strangely feminine. If I didn't know better, I would imagine that is what Miragua sounds like. But the color indicates Wind Essense.

The choices are made interesting by what we can infer from them being different. It is clear that the nearest ship will be crewed by an intelligent being, which means that the nearest intelligent being wouldn't be on a ship. Neither would they be on land. Which leaves... the water, or the sky. Considering the second part of the update, as well as the reverence Kruakk displays, I assume we caught the eye of Annacondra Naskyn herself. Assuming she was keeping an eye out for her nephew, and this is close enough to where he passed a few weeks ago. Or is she here entirely by coincidence?

The scale being a greater an upper artifact of Wind (which is what I assumed Breath of the Winter was) implies it belonged to someone more important than Arond. I assumed Vitarrow as Red Herald was there a couple days after it awashed on the shores of Florealis and got picked up by Nyla, but I can think of two more people beings who would be fit to own such a thing: Annacondra, sister of Viperilon, and his wife, Alacria.

I ignored it when I didn't know how important it was. What made me doubt Vitarrow's ownership was... how do you lose such a thing? It's not a penny! Alacria, though...
The largest dragon coils in a semicircle around the other five, front claws poised elegantly under the graceful arch of shimmering neck, with eyes as gray as an overcast sky and scales that—under the artist's detailed hand—shine like mirrors, silver with a hint of blue, matched by the silver-blue of the feathery mane and back ridge.
[...]
The two are maybe half the length of Alacria, with whom Altiria shares silvery scales. Altiria's and Valicors' necks are playfully twisted together, their heads are vying for dominance, their colors contrasting like the moon and the night sky. Thumb war with necks? Sounds painfully fun. Wait—
Alacria losing it makes sense, since we don't know where she currently resides. Was it a mere coincidence, then?

I wonder why Jet didn't feel anything when he looked for her. Hmm, no Essense in the scale then? Makes sense if she's alive.
A mirror and a spyglass? How does it work?
It just works. Thus saith Water, and it was so.
I reread the update when we were gifted the scale, and found a spoiler I forgot about. Is it our Domain talking to Jet? But wait, how does he even have a Domain? Putting a pin on that for later...
She is the Midnight Sky.

Naskyn. I can live with a Naskyn.
Lisen, there has to be a limit to the degree of willful denial.

But I suppose you could go an extra step if you wanted. An aunt could be "a father's sister", but also "uncle-by-blood's spouse", which could make him of any bloodline Annacondra took a mate from... assuming she ever did. Shouldn't that logic also hold?
Viperiel, then. Burn and salt it, you still don't know how to react.

Emotions are a trap for good action. What do I know?

Crow is nothing like Altiria or her cruel older cousin, or he's better at hiding it. You'd seen Viperiel before, hadn't you? Standing beside the silver-scaled white-mountain brat on the sidelines—he'd been all branching steel then, like a metal sapling swaying in the wind. The two had complemented each other. You've never seen a pattern change form or gain another color, just change hues. Could you have seen him wrong the first time?
Wait, what? Lisen saw Viperiel before, where? I suppose it makes sense if he saw Altiria, but how old was she?
Can a person's pattern change so drastically that he'd not recognize them? I suppose since patterns are emotion-related, they are subject to being mixed up when undergoing stress, trauma, or character development. :whistle:

Unfortunately, this doesn't tell me a lot. Altiria not being a twin is confirmed as true in the previous update by Arond, but it still does not help me determine which twin Crow is!

Since Lisen plays Watson by mirroring our arguments from the last update he is probably incorrect, and it is hinted at when it says he doesn't recognize Viperiel in Crow. Thus, Valicors.

...but why did we find Viperiel alive? By Tempest, Crow, what did you do to your brother!?

So we have a name. What of it?
Looks almost like the weapon Commander Remoriam commissioned from the Twilit Sea, Eithanael Waterstone himself.
Huh. But Eis didn't recognize the craftsmanship of his ancestor. How so?
"I confess even I have never seen the like of your knife," Eis muses, taking the empty cup. "Firestone—such a volatile material. From where did you acquire such a blade?"
Or did he simply not recognize the design? Was it because it was forged with a cloak of Earth?

What is a cloak of Earth? I thought it was just a piece of clothing with suppression powers, and is not a personalized possession. How come it is such a big deal? Are there only so many cloaks in existence as there are Firstborn? Can no new ones be produced?

Can Firstborn not assume their human forms without one?
It's sheer luck that Waterstone hadn't the chance to reclaim his meticulously self-woven, water-imbued clothing. Nothing else beyond a cloak of Earth would've hidden that outburst of the Commander's will.
I remember there being something special about Eis' clothing, but I forgot what principles it worked on. Why did he give one to us in the first place? Did he recognize Jet's waterblooded nature?
You remember the tales your father told you of the First Age: tales that your Firstfather, Rekavok Ferralong, had passed down. Tales of the first humans. Tales of the ones who cursed the land and caused Earth to sink into the sea. Tales of monsters with unlimited control over all the domains.
[...]
You can't help but admire Commander Remoriam's sense of humor—or irony—or spite, in protecting someone whose very existence might see even the reformed, uncorrupted, scholarly Viperilon Peniron empty out his garrisons—to destroy an individual whose existence should be impossible.
Why was Jet even a waterblood? Is it just a function of his mortal body from before he was experimented on? Shouldn't all domains call to him instead of just the sea? How does this even work?

What is monstrous about having control over all domains? Is it just someone having that power that scares people? Why is Jet's living an anathema to all, enough to justify the things Viperilon did?
Your blood runs as cold as the Winter. Not since the First Age has the first son of Wind had cause to bear his personal weapon. Not since the days where the skies burned and the seas were Sundered and the blood of Earth flowed free. What happened to Vitarrow in the Labyrinth Deep? What did the steadfast Pathfinder see in the place where Earth is said to lie in slumber?
Teasing, teasing all around. Was this how we got the Sundered Seas? Is this what they are afraid of? Are we connected to the Labyrinth Deep somehow? Aaah, so many new questions!
A filled echo shell?—a palm-sized dragon scale, of the colors of the Morning Sky? Which one? Alacria had vanished just before the Sheer Winter ended, and Vitarrow? Ha. He was in no place to shed scales after the Winter. You place the mirror-like scale over one eye and inhale sharply. It's properly imbued! What's a son of earth doing with a lower artifact of water and upper artifacts of Wind and Fire? For a kid who lived in a place so far from the Winter, how can he carry two pieces so closely connected to its players?
But who those players are? How many of them are there!? You can't just leave this dangling in front of us!
Should have listened to that shell while you could, Jet.
Kalmeri… those scholars're Miragua's people. There's nothing they do that Miragua doesn't know of. If they really were trying to break the barriers between domains, to forcibly recreate the ancient paths of access, would she let it happen? Would the Midnight Sea go against the will of the Esser? Would any of the Rising Three?

Even if the scholars
were acting against her will, did our people know what they were fighting for? Were we helping the right side, Captain Reyzan? Our healers took no sides, but Commander Remoriam's warriors…

We thought Peril was corrupted again. Thought he'd resumed his old schemes, destroying the colleges. But if that was wrong, if Kalmeri was researching the forbidden, and he found out they were trying to forge the monster… to revive the sons of Earth…

Captain Reyzan, those who chose to attack with the commander instead of defending… They weren't wrong, were they?
So Peril attacked the Scholars of Kalmeri, i.e. Miragua's people, who called upon their alliance with the Rising Three to strike back... but when did it all happen? Was this before or after Sheer WInter started? Was this the ill-fated expedition of the Torchheads? My timeline sense is fuzzy, I don't know the reason why any of these events happened, and that makes it hard to know the order.

Wait a second, Ves was one of the Scholars, dying around the same time we were born, and breaking the Winter in the process. Are we what remains of Ves' secret project!? Which means they'd have to perform it on us right after our birth? It's confusing!

What does it mean, "our healers took no sides"? I thought you were at war?

Aren't regular people called sons of Earth? Why is this spoken with an almost reverent horror? Or are they "sons of earth", and this one refers to the Esser of Earth itself?
I didn't realise that Tempest is the name of the Esser of Wind, and "meeting the Tempest" refers to dying. Is there actual afterlife, or is it just a turn of phrase?
What would the name of Esser of Earth be, then?

Why did Vengefall take such delight in exterminating Ferralongs? What is the history between them?
Wait, Brand is Graysmith AND Ferralong? Born well away from the conflict on some faraway island? Lisen is going to be so confused if the two ever meet!

Unrelated to any of that...
Your hand trembles. Why'd he have to go and do that? Can't hit a person who's still healing.
What is Lisen talking about here?

Okay, the vote...

[x] Toward the nearest intelligent creature

Meet the mysterious dragon! Maybe?

[x] Toss the ink to Crow and conceal the action. He'll know what to do.

What's up, Eis-mate? How do you find this fine trip?Just strolling around, chief, no mischief.

[] No. Blind him with a fire-flash and kick him in the face in return for him injuring your eye. Then run.
Sorely tempted. But alas, not when half the ship is incapacitated.

[x] Somewhat. Show him only the two items you pulled off Jet, but tell Waterstone you found them in Rakky's belongings.
[x] Stow the body somewhere else as soon as possible. Shouldn't be too hard to hide contraband that big, ey?

I want Alacria's scale (?) to be revealed. Maybe it'll stir something up and they forget to look at Jet too closely.
We are not revealing our commander's secret to the shrike, no way!

[x] Inform. Tell Waterstone that Crow is a spy from Annacondra Naskyn.

...is there something that threatens Crow's position on the ship if we do? He is still bound by his oath, and it may be better if Eis merely confirms his suspicion and doesn't develop new ones.

[x] Nyla

I love Nyla segments so much, and I am curious about how she deals with Brand. Also, I'd like to experience her meeting with whoever is narrating the first part.

But it might be a bit jittery to change perspectives every update. I could be convinced to stick with Lisen, he is a fun one to hang around with when he is not having PTSD.

Last edited:
As usual, your long reads never disappoint. Seeing that reply always elicits a mixture of anticipation and mild dread. 😄

Thanks for the type check. The last one is correct, though.
Crow's portrait of Arond.
Hm, welll it is said that the hand of an artist may more accurately capture one's character than a photo can. Perhaps there's some truth to the saying.
The impersonal narration had me confused for a second, and then the use of "I" caught me off-guard for the second time.
Can you remember the one other time that first person narration was used for a character?

I would definitely be interesting in knowing who/what this mysterious, somewhat amused person considers to be an intelligent being. Maybe... a sea sponge that spontaneously sprouted a brain, therefore becoming a genius of its species? o.o
I reread the update when we were gifted the scale, and found a spoiler I forgot about. Is it our Domain talking to Jet? But wait, how does he even have a Domain?
Hah, I forgot about that insert. Think nothing of it-- that was from when I was years younger, twice as snarky, and less resistant to the dreaded meta-insert. I originally kept it in because there's some value in cringing at past mistakes... but if it is becoming a red herring (of which I am a herald), I probably should remove it.
Lisen saw Viperiel before, where? I suppose it makes sense if he saw Altiria, but how old was she?
Can a person's pattern change so drastically that he'd not recognize them? I suppose since patterns are emotion-related, they are subject to being mixed up when undergoing stress, trauma, or character development.
'Spose that one small word-picture from Crow's picture a while back might not be an adequate depiction of Viperiel and Altiria's siblingship. Altiria would say she and Viperiel are very close. Practically attached at the hip.
There's more than a little to unpack with Crow. He's unique.
Crow, what did you do to your brother!?
Lisen came to a conclusion that was pretty close to half of what actually happened.
So we have a name. What of it?
Names are more than a little important, especially culture-wise. The essence may also get involved (see: star-searching). Lisen might care more than most, considering some names may have been involved in or adjacent to killing members of his immediate and extended family as well as his found family.
Or did he simply not recognize the design? Was it because it was forged with a cloak of Earth?

What is a cloak of Earth? I thought it was just a piece of clothing with suppression powers, and is not a personalized possession. How come it is such a big deal? Are there only so many cloaks in existence as there are Firstborn? Can no new ones be produced?

Can Firstborn not assume their human forms without one?
Hoh yes. That knife much different from Eithanael's usual work. For one thing, it wasn't made of waterstone. For another, it was a collaboration. I have the general stuff about it in an unposted omake file, which... may or may not make an appearance if it gets more polished... maybe. Do people actually find forge scenes interesting?

Ah, now that's a good set of questions. Let me reference the old Q&A for simplicity: "Earth is the power of physical form," and "Earth [as essence] can give body to the formless and can take on the power or a characteristic of whatever essence imbues it."

A cloak of Earth does have major suppression powers, and that's because of its material. Normal earth, by nature, is pretty essence-absorbent. Multiply that by a lot if it's made of earth that was provided by the Esser of Earth. There's personal cloaks for the Firstborn, and then there's the much weaker non-personal cloaks made of lesser earth (which would not for long work for the Firstborn). The difference is not easily distinguishable without physical contact. While the crafting method (the art of weaving earth into cloth) has long been lost, a cloak can be broken down for material by a master smith. However, the cloak itself cannot be remade.

Indeed. No cloak means no Firstborn human form--though, as you see with Moram, they can hold on to human form even after relinquishing the cloak, so long as they don't transform into their true forms.
I remember there being something special about Eis' clothing, but I forgot what principles it worked on. Why did he give one to us in the first place?
Dampening of presence/essence. It lets the wearer become harder to perceive by trackers who specialize in following essence trails. At the time, Jet (without Moram's cloak) had quite a bit of fire leaking off him from the knife (misinterpreted by Eis to be the immensely potent fire of someone whom Jet had spent much time around). So Eis lent him his clothes to dampen that.
Why was Jet even a waterblood? Is it just a function of his mortal body from before he was experimented on? Shouldn't all domains call to him instead of just the sea? How does this even work?

What is monstrous about having control over all domains? Is it just someone having that power that scares people? Why is Jet's living an anathema to all, enough to justify the things Viperilon did?
Hm. I guess I was too subtle about the essence stuff related to Jet. Consistent, but too subtle.
The music of the call is consistent between different people, but very few listeners hear more than one instrument.

Lisen is regarding the idea of the sons of Earth being reborn the same way we might regard the possibility of nuclear war.
I'm horrible at map-making, but for perspective, the world map now would look quite similar to if you took a round cracker (say, a light and fragile Ritz cracker), stomped on it two or three times, and threw the remains into a bowl of water. There used to be a lot more land and good things in the world. Everything changed when the children of Earth attacked, and Lisen knows it.
Teasing, teasing all around. Was this how we got the Sundered Seas?
The references to the formation of the Sundering Seas have been pretty consistent, I think. You even get a small one in this segment from an arguably more reliable being. Yes, the formation of the Sundering is canon. Yes, 'twas Vitarrow who sliced it up long ago.
But who those players are? How many of them are there!?
Any of the Firstborn is a major player. You haven't yet gotten to see the Firstborn fight each other, but it is always a cataclysm.
For the quick rundown, you most probably know that Moram, Reyzan, Miragua, Vitarrow, and Peril (and possibly Vengefall) at least were directly involved in the Winter. Having so many Firstborn getting involved in one conflict is... not normal at all (although it might not look like it, since you've only been getting the highlights of major conflicts in previous ages). Peace makes for sleepy writing...

We'll finally get into the roles of the Firstborn in the Winter, now that we're closer to the source and in the heads of firsthand witnesses.
So Peril attacked the Scholars of Kalmeri, i.e. Miragua's people, who called upon their alliance with the Rising Three to strike back... but when did it all happen? Was this before or after Sheer WInter started? Was this the ill-fated expedition of the Torchheads? My timeline sense is fuzzy, I don't know the reason why any of these events happened, and that makes it hard to know the order.
The next likely omake is set at the Council of Vermillion. It should clarify some timeline stuff concerning Moram and the Waterstones.
The Torchheads as a group didn't get on-site until after the Winter was already a thing.
What does it mean, "our healers took no sides"? I thought you were at war?
Reyzan's people definitely didn't support Viperilon's people. I based the actions of Reyzan's healers off of the actions Red Cross medics are supposed to take during wartime situations. More specifically, the part that says they're supposed to care for the wounded, regardless of whether they are friends or enemies.
Aren't regular people called sons of Earth? Why is this spoken with an almost reverent horror? Or are they "sons of earth", and this one refers to the Esser of Earth itself?
Earth and earth are, indeed, different. I will not invite you to curse my use of capital letters as a distinction, but... I began this quest right in the middle of a writing and English-type degree that had very comprehensive copywriting courses. Calling me obsessed with tiny format details at that point in life might be an understatement. The obsession has since shifted to mere consistency, which is most definitely an improvement.
I didn't realise that Tempest is the name of the Esser of Wind, and "meeting the Tempest" refers to dying. Is there actual afterlife, or is it just a turn of phrase?
That is, "facing the Tempest," such as how one might literally face a storm (or, yes, as you say, facing death).
References to the Tempest, Inferno, and Maelstrom are meant to be similar to how people use Hell as an expression.
The Tempest, Inferno, and Maelstrom are places one might see in death, but they are not the afterlife. They are rather more like crucibles.
That's not to say that there isn't an afterlife, though.
Why did Vengefall take such delight in exterminating Ferralongs? What is the history between them?
Wait, Brand is Graysmith AND Ferralong? Born well away from the conflict on some faraway island? Lisen is going to be so confused if the two ever meet!
Oh, that's because of the unreliable narrator shared history with Viperilon. Vengefall and Peril's alliance goes a ways back.
Not justifying Vengefall and Annacondra for (apparently) not parenting well, but Vectoriel is his own person, distinct from Vengefall.

Brand is the rather unfortunate mix of Graysmith name/essence mashed with the appearance of a Ferralong. Confused is an understatement. But who knows? Maybe Lisen would be more forgiving of a Graysmith than a Bledform.
What is Lisen talking about here?
He's not really over getting another glimpse of his own pattern.😞

Can you remember the one other time that first person narration was used for a character?

I would definitely be interesting in knowing who/what this mysterious, somewhat amused person considers to be an intelligent being.
Morningfall? It's pretty memorable.

Do you imply-- naah, the text is black, and Kruakkk isn't going crazy. Must be one of the Wind Firstborn. I thought it was Annacondra, there's just something similar in the style of speech.
"A bird that can fly in its cage is still captive," your aunt would always tell you. "Freedom is the prize of those who dare spring the lock. They think you weak. Their ignorance shall be your escape."
But the subject of her thoughts suggests she's been lost in time and space, and the one missing is Alacria. If so, she probably can't bring them to herself, which then begs the question of who would an intelligent being be, indeed.

Technically, nightgulls are intelligent... And of course there are selkies.

Speaking about Moram. Do we know anything about his attachment to the beacon?
"Because I don't want you to end up like Moram. Water drown it—I know he's yours and Jet's hero, but he spent years of his life chasing ghosts. Manning the beacon by night, searching the waters by day…"
Rereading the update again, but with the context for what we know, he was looking for Vitarrow, calling out to him and hoping to... get into the Labyrinth if Big V breaks the pinion? The implication being they'd become trapped together, and that is why Vitarrow didn't. Would Moram be able to find a way out of the Labyrinth if someone broke his pinion from the outside if he were stuck there?

Have I asked you before how his pinions work now that he is dead? He said it was a beacon to his senses, so I assumed it's a power working for him and through him, exclusively, and yet perhaps there are others who could feel it? Would Lisen be able to sense Nyla's, I wonder? Even if he could, what point would there be, with them separated by... actually, I do not know the topology of the world, nevermind the geography. But probably a sea or two by now.

Though... Vitarrow still has his, and perhaps could reach out somehow. Alternatively, there is... Rekavok, perhaps? Is Reyzan still alive? I don't know many other phoenixes sans Lamiferry.

At least now with the discovery of Jet's origins Rekavok's reluctance to interfere with Viperilon's rampage makes sense if one of his powers is fortune-telling premonition, and he saw something about sons of Earth. Not that non-interference did him much good -- but wait, how did Ferralongs get involved in the war if he held himself and scions back? Was it just breakaway branches who joined the Torchheads?

Is a Salamander's attitude indicative of what one may expect from sons of Earth now that Earth is corrupted, or is there a way to purify the essence somehow?
Lisen came to a conclusion that was pretty close to half of what actually happened.
Mmm... Rereading I Will Be Free with the context we have, I notice several points that escaped me before.
1) Crow had decent control taught to him by his Aunt after his Awakening.
2) His twin decided to rebel on the same day he wanted to run away, without warning him.
3) ??? (Supposedly his brother's plot is discovered, and Crow interferes)
4) Crow finds himself with a slit throat, loses all control over his Domain (permanently?), and calls for his brother for help.
5) ??? (Supposedly either Crow hurts his own brother by uncontrollable winds, or his brother bails him out at a dire cost. The extent of the damage is unknown)
6) Crow calls Arond "the last loyal Son of Peril". Which I thought meant his brother was dead, but I missed the qualifier.
7) Altiria is mad. It's had to say whether it's more at Viperiel's disappearance, or Crow's own treason.
8) Crow feels very, very guilty about everything that happened. "My winds hurt all but me and him."
9) Crow may or may not be arguing with himself in italics.
10) Searching for Viperiel shows... signs of interference with the second twin, Valicors?
The claw (the eye), you try first, fixing the black drakeling's image in your mind. Viperiel-secondclaw-blackdragon-Aria… nothing. There's nothing. Wait, there's—no, still nothing. No, there's—something? But he is—he is but isn't at all. He exists—doesn't exist—is alivenotalive. What? A spike pushes through your temples, and you immediately drop the search, though reluctantly. You'll come back to it later, maybe.

Then you try the eye (the claw). Viperiel-eyestar-blackdragon-Aria-nothing-something no location alive-notalive-is-not-is-Viperiel.
Jet constantly tries to correct himself in italics.

So if I had to guess, his brother was found out, with Crow trying to interfere, nearly dying, and having to rely on his brother to save him. Then he... killed him with uncontrolled use of essence? Put him in a coma? Absorbed his essence? The uncertain status of Periel suggests that something of him remains, unlike with Moram, and Crow's guilt implies this had something to do with his Domain. What could he do, "take his perspective in" permanently or something?

But no, Altiria had us look for Viperiel. What for? Does she not know the details herself?

Also, is "crow" windblooded for a "fool boy"? :whistle: I can definitely hear some fondness in that nickname, and it's hard to see Crow having fondness for himself. That he took an alias after that nickname suggests it was someone dear to him that used to call him that. Of the possible candidates, we only know his Aunt and his brother.

Wait, a fun thought came to me. Eis said there was the youngest kid no one ever sees, yet apparently Viperiel made public appearances together with Altiria. Is the reason no one saw Valicors before because they are identical twins, and people not in the know assumed they only saw Viperiel?
A cloak of Earth does have major suppression powers, and that's because of its material. Normal earth, by nature, is pretty essence-absorbent. Multiply that by a lot if it's made of earth that was provided by the Esser of Earth. There's personal cloaks for the Firstborn, and then there's the much weaker non-personal cloaks made of lesser earth (which would not for long work for the Firstborn). The difference is not easily distinguishable without physical contact. While the crafting method (the art of weaving earth into cloth) has long been lost, a cloak can be broken down for material by a master smith.
So in other words, they make for fine upper artifacts imbued with Firstborn powers. Makes for a good investment, since it amplifies any power you imbue, but also is a limited resource. I wonder if everyone has something enchanted personally by them.
Hm. I guess I was too subtle about the essence stuff related to Jet. Consistent, but too subtle.
The music of the call is consistent between different people, but very few listeners hear more than one instrument.
You may have been. I mean, normally people carry two Domains at once, coming from their parents, but the Essers put a level cap on sons of Earth and enforced lowercasing. Now they can only access one, and only if the higher-ups in the chain greenlights it. Supposedly, sons of Earth bypassed that rule.

But how can one carry three at once? Aren't Domain conferred through the parents' blood? Unless the answer is "Earth can be imbued however you like, take your genetics talk elsewhere."

I think I recall Moram being sorry for not being strong enough to save Jet's parents, implying he was born normally, and not conceived in a bottle.
I am in his debt. Had I been stronger in the Winter, his parents would be here in my place. I wonder if he would forgive me for all but denying him his bloodright.
I wonder what Moram's motive in all of this was. So does Lisen, apparently. What was Jet's bloodright? Not something granted onto him by experiments, but something he had the right to since the moment he was born?

Which update do I look to for clues if I wanted to dig up more?
Oh, that's because of the unreliable narrator shared history with Viperilon. Vengefall and Peril's alliance goes a ways back.
Not justifying Vengefall and Annacondra for (apparently) not parenting well, but Vectoriel is his own person, distinct from Vengefall.
So Vengefall had offsprings with Annacondra? Would that make any Dansteppes (of Acordielle's bloodline) call Annacondra an auntie as well? Why did Lisen skip this possibility?

Also the myth of nightgull creation involves them drinking Peril's blood. I assumed they were all his creatures, in a way. Yet how could Kruakkk call Ferralong the blood enemy of his forefather?

Is Moram Peril's personal nemesis, while Rekavok is Vengefall's? Perhaps even though it was Moram who struck the last blow to Peril, the dragon still cursed the both of them?

Last edited:
Would Moram be able to find a way out of the Labyrinth if someone broke his pinion from the outside if he were stuck there?
It's shown toward the end of Morningfall that Moram can sense his active pinions without needing someone to break one. This includes Vitarrow's in the Labyrinth Deep, though Moram was in an artificially juiced-up state, drained himself nearly dry in the process, and died soon after. But when not slowly dying, his sensing distance/flash distance regarding his pinions has few distance limits. It'll still be majorly dampened or even negated by his target being underwater.

The major limiting factors with escaping the Labyrinth Deep using Moram's pinions is the LD's confusing layout, the lack of sunlight/moonlight/starlight down there, and the LD being underwater. Moram uses those lights to triangulate physical locations (star-searching). He might be able to sense his pinion being burned outside, but he wouldn't be able to tell which direction it is.
Have I asked you before how his pinions work now that he is dead? He said it was a beacon to his senses, so I assumed it's a power working for him and through him, exclusively, and yet perhaps there are others who could feel it? Would Lisen be able to sense Nyla's, I wonder?
I won't say it's impossible, though the spark in it is pretty hard to sense even up close. Eis is decently sensitive to essence and hasn't confiscated Lisen's pinion, though in that case, finding it would be like trying to smell out a specific spark when a fire is right behind it. Lisen might recognize Nyla's on sight.
The flash-travel ability is exclusive to Moram.
Though... Vitarrow still has his, and perhaps could reach out somehow. Alternatively, there is... Rekavok, perhaps? Is Reyzan still alive? I don't know many other phoenixes sans Lamiferry.
Nah, Rekavok can take care of himself. He doesn't need help from Oldest Bro. He's hardly Moram's favorite.
Reyzan's current status is technically MIA, with a more likely possibility of KIA. His pinion from Moram was destroyed.
For the purposes of this quest, you most likely won't need to know the rest of the phoenixes except Latherel's history flavor text. For flavor. Unless you somehow end up in front of the Council of Vermillion.
wait, how did Ferralongs get involved in the war if he held himself and scions back? Was it just breakaway branches who joined the Torchheads?
The scions joined despite Rekavok. He probably foresaw it.
Lisen's family was an "unfortunate" case of civilian casualties. I like to think Lisen's father held Vectoriel's attention long enough for other Ferralongs to get the warning and escape.
Is a Salamander's attitude indicative of what one may expect from sons of Earth now that Earth is corrupted, or is there a way to purify the essence somehow?
Corruption effects are more variant in sapient beings. The only known cure for the Corruption is a trip to the Inferno/Maelstrom/Tempest via death.
1) Crow had decent control taught to him by his Aunt after his Awakening.
2) His twin decided to rebel on the same day he wanted to run away, without warning him.
3) ??? (Supposedly his brother's plot is discovered, and Crow interferes)
4) Crow finds himself with a slit throat, loses all control over his Domain (permanently?), and calls for his brother for help.
5) ??? (Supposedly either Crow hurts his own brother by uncontrollable winds, or his brother bails him out at a dire cost. The extent of the damage is unknown)
6) Crow calls Arond "the last loyal Son of Peril". Which I thought meant his brother was dead, but I missed the qualifier.
7) Altiria is pushed. It's had to say whether it's more for Viperiel's disappearance, or Crow's own treason.
8) Crow feels very, very guilty about everything that happened. "My winds hurt all but me and him."
9) Crow may or may not be arguing with himself in italics.
10) Searching for Viperiel shows... signs of interference with the second twin, Valicors?
1) Yes.
2) Accurate from a certain perspective.
3) He tries.
4) Yes, it would take time and luck/help but wouldn't be impossible, and no.
5) General negatory.
6) Indeed.
7) Both. Both is good.
8) Yes, Arond's pretty good at averting Crow's winds. He's had tons of experience.
9) Talking to oneself is a good habit for people who perform a lot of problem-solving. Yes, this includes self-arguing.
10) Yes. 'Tis very purposeful. In hindsight, can you see where Crow perpetuated the false twinning information?
So if I had to guess, his brother was found out, with Crow trying to interfere, nearly dying, and having to rely on his brother to save him. Then he... killed him with uncontrolled use of essence? Put him in a coma? Absorbed his essence? The uncertain status of Periel suggests that something of him remains, unlike with Moram
Sort of, yes, not inaccurate, not exactly, no, no, sort of, and yes.
Wait, a fun thought came to me. Eis said there was the youngest kid no one ever sees, yet apparently Viperiel made public appearances together with Altiria. Is the reason no one saw Valicors before because they are identical twins, and people not in the know assumed they only saw Viperiel?
Ahhh. Now you're getting into the twin shenanigans. This definitely happened at some point.
So in other words, they make for fine upper artifacts imbued with Firstborn powers. Makes for a good investment, since it amplifies any power you imbue, but also is a limited resource. I wonder if everyone has something enchanted personally by them.
More like "taking on a property of" rather than "amplifying". Amplification is an Esser of Earth ability.
Artifacts imbued by Firstborn mainly have the advantage of being imbued by a being who knows their domain far more intimately than any human or scion could. So, they can imbue more esoteric and potent abilities. That's not to say human smiths can't be innovative.
Definitely not, though some Firstborn are more likely to give stuff out than others.
born normally, and not conceived in a bottle.
Yeh, science in this universe hasn't developed in vitro spawning or anything similar to the concept.
how can one carry three at once? Aren't Domain conferred through the parents' blood? Unless the answer is "Earth can be imbued however you like, take your genetics talk elsewhere."
It still is passed down generationally, and only one element.
Similarly, trying to imbue a knife, for instance, with more than one essence... that would not go well.
The only reason why the sons of Earth could access all before is because they had permission from all the Esser. They no longer have this permission.
I wonder what Moram's motive in all of this was. So does Lisen, apparently. What was Jet's bloodright? Not something granted onto him by experiments, but something he had the right to since the moment he was born?

Which update do I look to for clues if I wanted to dig up more?
He's referring to the Gift.
Jet + away from parents/aunt/uncle = no domain access

For information about bloodline stuff in general? Probably Rakky's Records, which gets additions and edits periodically. Some stuff has been added since the previous update. Unfortunately, Moram's Motivation isn't a segment (yet?), so Morningfall or Lisen's memory bits in Boring Tales of a Lost Torchhead are your main sources of Moram until I get an omake up with Moram in it.
So Vengefall had offsprings with Annacondra? Would that make any Dansteppes (of Acordielle's bloodline) call Annacondra an auntie as well? Why did Lisen skip this possibility?
Many offspring... who had more offspring. There's practically an army of them at this point. Combine that with the previous line of Graysmiths, and you get the top organized military force in this world.

It might sound contrived, but... Lisen's skippage of Dansteppes happened because of cultural differences, combined with Lisen's hyperfixation on Bledforms and Midnight Skies. Fluff aside, the REAL reason is that Dansteppe isn't coupled with a Midnight Sky, a Naskyn, or a descendant of Peril. Crow would have to not have black hair for Lisen to even consider him not being of Midnight Sky descent.

About culture. The Skies have more cross-phase (time of day) connections that they regard as familial, whereas the Suns are generally more distant even to their own brothers/sisters. This regard trickles down through their descendants. Skies also have a much higher percentage of Firstborn/Firstborn pairings, whereas Suns tend towards Firstborn/scion or Firstborn/human pairings or simply don't care to have children (and the Children of Fire as a whole have historically had only two Firstborn/Firstborn pairings, one of which is no longer existent). There are few scions of fire compared to water and wind.

Outside the Council of Vermillion, the Suns rarely interact unless they're coupled. Otherwise, they would most likely interact with either their paired sibling or with a Sun of an adjacent phase of day. The most sociable fires-to-fires relations are technically Moram and Lamiferry (Morning), who have a close bond with Reyzan (Midday) and a friendly relationship with Latherel (Midnight).

Skies tend to have closer relations with adjacent phases as well (Viperilon/Alacria [Midnight/Morning]; Annacondra/Vengefall [Midnight/Evening], and the Viperilon-Vengefall duo).

Seas... They're odd. They generally consider themselves one extended family. So, all of their pairings are Firstborn/human or Firstborn/wind scion except for the eccentric pair of Eranious Endinfall/Leita Mimore (fire). The Seas interact quite a bit even if their phases aren't adjacent. Only two Seas have never had children, so there's a lot of scions of water.
how could Kruakkk call Ferralong the blood enemy of his forefather?
Rekavok Ferralong predicted Viperilon Kellinan's death. The nightgulls know this. The nightgulls are regarded as part of the Perilous Brood (which the sons of Peril are also part of). Whether or not the origin story is true, they also regard themselves as being of Peril's blood. Thus, blood enemy of his forefather.
"You dared slay Viperilon, the ancestor of my kin, with your poisonous words? Our hatred runs deep. We remember. By the wing of Kruakkk, I sentence you to die, doomseer!" - Dusk 3.7a - The Wrath of Kruakkk (Kruakkk, to Brand, who resembles Ferralong)
Is Moram Peril's personal nemesis, while Rekavok is Vengefall's?
They're not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
It's shown toward the end of Morningfall that Moram can sense his active pinions without needing someone to break one. This includes Vitarrow's in the Labyrinth Deep, though Moram was in an artificially juiced-up state, drained himself nearly dry in the process, and died soon after. But when not slowly dying, his sensing distance/flash distance regarding his pinions has few distance limits. It'll still be majorly dampened or even negated by his target being underwater.
If Moram could sense the pinion, why did he need Vitarrow to burn the waypoint?
"It has been nearly a full score of years, old friend," I mutter aloud. "Have you not found a way out?"

He hasn't, and because of his foolish protective streak, he won't use the pinion I'd given him during the war.

My temper rises with a snarl. "Do you think I would let the Labyrinth hold us if you called me? Burn my waypoint, you stubborn silverfish!"
What additional advantages would it give? I thought it would enable him to flash-travel (even through LD), but then you said this ability doesn't work well when destination is underwater.

Lithos Alto said:
Nevill said:
4) Yes, it would take time and luck/help but wouldn't be impossible, and no.
"And no"? What is this, then?
The Tempest roars, and all your strength is nothing. The electrifying scent of the storm fills your nostrils, and you are unmade, everything you are… dissolving away like the morning mist. No, nononono! Help! Someone, please help! I-I don't want to die! Help me, brotherrrr!

Here. You're here. You've escaped. Stop remembering!
It's the last thing he said in the flashback before he forcefully stopped the memory. What am I supposed to think!? The natural assumption would be that something-too-terrible-to-remember happened right after that point.
Lithos Alto said:
10) Yes. 'Tis very purposeful. In hindsight, can you see where Crow perpetuated the false twinning information?
It's hard to forget, since I reread this particular segment ten times already trying to figure out which twin Crow is.
He holds up one finger and jabs it at the biggest black dragon, who, though smaller than Alacria by a quarter, crouches confidently at her left side.

"Vespian… Espian. Eldest." Two names again. You're beginning to see a pattern.

A second finger. "Arond. Second." Your mind clicks at the gray eyes and serious posture, belied by a single mischievous claw poking into Vespian's side. The artist certainly captured a more lighthearted side of the man—well, dragon. The captain of the High Revenge must be much younger here, you realize.

"Siblings?" you ask.

Crow nods and indicates a circle encompassing all except Alacria.

So Arond is the second child of five. This… really is his family. And Crow's? How is he related?

A third and fourth finger. "Altiria. Tiria. Only sister." He hesitates for a long moment, as if arguing with himself. "...Valicors. Cors. They. Shared an egg."

The two are maybe half the length of Alacria, with whom Altiria shares silvery scales. Altiria's and Valicors' necks are playfully twisted together, their heads are vying for dominance, their colors contrasting like the moon and the night sky. Thumb war with necks? Sounds painfully fun. Wait—

"They're twins?"

A shrug.

How interesting. How large are dragon eggs, if even the towering Arond hatched from one? ...It's hard to imagine him small.

Fifth finger. Crow again hesitates, longer, pointing at the final drakeling, dark as an eclipse, who, draped carelessly over Arond's back, peers from the portrait directly at you. He looks identical to Valicors in both length and form. You would've thought those two to be the twins.

"...Viperiel. Periel. Youngest."
He casually slips himself in the middle, saying that Cors and Tiria shared an egg, which should be factually incorrect. However, this cross-checks with what Eis and Lisen know, which completely confused me at the time. Whoever was it who came up with the "boy & girl twins" ruse, it was not Crow but someone in Viperilon's court, perhaps the Black Dragon himself. For what possible purpose?

Is this an anti-starsearch measure? Given that the best known practitioner of the art was Moram, it would explain the precautions. Still, it's a tad paranoid to keep up the deception for 20 years.

Lithos Alto said:
He's referring to the Gift.
Jet + away from parents/aunt/uncle = no domain access

For information about bloodline stuff in general? Probably Rakky's Records, which gets additions and edits periodically. Some stuff has been added since the previous update. Unfortunately, Moram's Motivation isn't a segment (yet?), so Morningfall or Lisen's memory bits in Boring Tales of a Lost Torchhead are your main sources of Moram until I get an omake up with Moram in it.
Wait. I am confused. Jet is a scion, no? Rakky says he acts as a "scion with a case of domain separation". Humans are the ones who must be Gifted; scions, they Awaken. At least, that's my current understanding. I asked before if scions Awaken by themselves, and got an evasive answer that "scions are an exception to many things, and that they don't have a common term for Gift, or Gifting", which I chose to interpret as having an innate proficiency with their domain.

Unless scions need their power unlocked too, or Jet isn't a scion somehow, he shouldn't be barred from his powers forever... no?

No, I am looking for information on "essence stuff related to Jet". There were a few implications that he was a waterblood, and nothing about any other domains as far as I can tell. Shouldn't the experiment have unlocked access to all three of them?
The only reason why the sons of Earth could access all before is because they had permission from all the Esser. They no longer have this permission.
Do I understand it right, that the experiment "to revive sons of Earth" by "breaking the Covenant of the Gift" means that they are trying to forge or brute force this permission?

Rekavok Ferralong predicted Viperilon Kellinan's death. The nightgulls know this. The nightgulls are regarded as part of the Perilous Brood (which the sons of Peril are also part of). Whether or not the origin story is true, they also regard themselves as being of Peril's blood. Thus, blood enemy of his forefather.
"You dared slay Viperilon, the ancestor of my kin, with your poisonous words? Our hatred runs deep. We remember. By the wing of Kruakkk, I sentence you to die, doomseer!"
I remember that quote, yes. But it strikes me as exceptionally petty to blame the seer for a prediction, like blaming a messenger for poor news. How can you slay someone with "poisonous words"?

Unless Rekavok's power is esoteric in that whatever appears in his visions must come true even though it didn't have to be that way if he chose to not look.

Last edited:
If Moram could sense the pinion, why did he need Vitarrow to burn the waypoint?
Moram couldn't initially sense it due to his declined state. He only could sense it without burnage later when he was artificially juiced-up and minutes from dying, and he still only had enough time to send a message.

Burning the pinion acts as a very specific amplifier for his own signal. It's easier to get into the LD than to get out, but yeah, Moram could get in with a flash if he got a lock on his pinion, but Tarrow wasn't playing along. Water makes location-finding difficult but not impossible. Once Moram has a location fixed, he can get to it. It majorly helps that the LD sometimes has holes that peek into it from the surface and that Moram had found a very tiny one.
"And no"? What is this, then?
This is remembering Crow's intervention.
it's a tad paranoid to keep up the deception for 20 years.
Protection from trained and motivated fire guys just knowing the location of a great target for kidnapping... yeah.
Hopefully by 20 years, they're strong enough to protect themselves from possible attackers or kidnappers.
Hopefully we get to the point of fully knowing why the deceptions began.
Just know it does make sense as to why they'd keep it up.
Jet is a scion, no? Rakky says he acts as a "scion with a case of domain separation". Humans are the one who must be Gifted; scions, they Awaken. At least, that's my current understanding.
While it is an interesting comparative assessment from Rakky, Jet-as-scion is not confirmed information. If, somehow, I ever said it was, then consider that instance null.

I would rather not explain scion element control in detail out of text just yet. But from Night 1.1, you can see Eis' assessment that the twins "would have full control of their shifting and at least some over winds by the traditional age of Awakening."

Gifting and Awakening (as explained to Jet early in his kidnapping ship journey) are two terms for roughly the same thing, though the second term has more utility.

"Awakening" (unlike Gifting) is also sometimes used even after one's Gifting Day/initial Awakening to refer to using one's blood-domain (as when Lisen at his first encounter with Jet said, "time to 'Waken up!"). It might also refer to the first major epiphany one has about one's blood-domain, which causes a deeper connection to one's element. That last use is particularly applicable to scions and is not synonymous to Gifting.
No, I am looking for information on "essence stuff related to Jet". There were a few implications that he was a waterblood, and nothing about any other domains as far as I can tell. Shouldn't the experiment have unlocked access to all three of them?
And here I thought I was keeping the domain relations fairly even with how Jet interacts with his environment (not necessarily favoring one or another), though again, perhaps far more subtly than intended. :confused2: He's always surrounded by water and air and is quite familiar with fire... It'll be very hard to find anything specifically pointing to his essence stuff.

Lisen does consider that last idea. Take care with his perspective, though, since he's most definitely working on assumptions and incomplete information.
trying to forge or brute force this permission?
This is something that Lisen considers.
exceptionally petty to blame the seer for a prediction
What are you saying? Kruakkk and all nightgulls are the picture of reason and rationality.
Ferralong's pretty powerful in foresight. It may very well seem as if his words make the foreseen effect inevitable.

-

If any answers somehow don't make sense, it's because I should be dead asleep right now. Whoops.

More votes are always appreciated. I think we have tie.
Well, we can always come to an agreement, so long as we understand what we want from our respective votes. I am open to changing mine.

I made my choice in hopes of meeting the mysterious narrator, or at least the next intelligent creature that is neither on land nor on a ship (i.e. different from the two other choices), since it's likely they're not entirely human. What was your reasoning?

Are there any other votes that are tied?

Well, we can always come to an agreement, so long as we understand what we want from our respective votes. I am open to changing mine.

I made my choice in hopes of meeting the mysterious narrator, or at least the next intelligent creature that is neither on land nor on a ship (i.e. different from the two other choices), since it's likely they're not entirely human. What was your reasoning?

Are there any other votes that are tied?
I'll just change my vote to....

[] Stow the body somewhere else as soon as possible. Shouldn't be too hard to hide contraband that big, ey?

I think that was the only tied one. Or are there more?

For a 4-way tie, you mean? :D

Sure, fire away. More participants can't hurt.

We may see that Vermillion Council omake yet!

Nah, vote for what you want to happen, that's the point of voting. If it ties again somewhere else, then we'll figure something out.

A vote is a way to tell others what you want out of a story. Who knows, maybe you'll convince them to see it your way!

[x] Toward the nearest intelligent creature

[x] Toss the ink to Crow and conceal the action. He'll know what to do.

[x] No. Offer to help him with whatever task he's on, but avoid sounding like you want to help him.

[x] Reserve. Don't tell Waterstone anything you found out about Crow

[x] Don't bother moving the body. You'll have at least the night to get that knife before they chuck him over the side with the others.

[x] Lisen

Vermilion I: Prelude of Red New
-
Vermilion I: Prelude of Red
-
Canon, set about 30 true years pre-quest. Takes place just before Remoriam Amortalis, known in human form as Moram, arrives at that fateful Council of Vermilion. A long-needed interaction between brothers.
-

Dawn burnishes my feathers, setting my core afire with the light of life and hope, for I am Remoriam Amortalis, the Morning Sun. I am the First Son of Fire.

Ahead, with the flames of his plumage streaming in ephemeral ribbons the color of fallen leaves, flies the Midday Sun: Reyzan Redtail. For his sake I am not trailblazing directly to my waypoint at the Council of Vermilion.

Long has it been since we last met face to face, but I cannot look him in the eye. It has taken all of my willpower to attempt to regard him neutrally— to shut my memories out while we maintain our torturously slow flight. To bury the thought that we are near strangers.

Reyzan Redwill is dead. My brother is with the Inferno now.

Redtail had mentioned little of his purpose— only that he had summoned the full Council on the matter of conflict between Viperilon Peniron and Miragua. What evil could have caused the Sea and Sky to break the peace? Though Earth had sunk into the depths, everyone had been rebuilding, adapting, returning life to the war-torn lands. Miragua had been laying the foundations of a new college with her group of scholars. Viperilon had returned to soothing the night squalls of the northeast, supervising his peacekeeping forces, and providing wisdom and justice to any who approached the Whirlwind Throne. Their paths have little reason to cross.

I doubt our Council will decide to get involved in the affairs of other domains, but some of the children of Fire might answer the call.

My gaze travels unwillingly to the auburn wingfeathers ahead of me. Almost—no, certainly—in response to my unease, the Midday Sun twitches a flame of his eponymous red tail—the only part of him which remains that shade. We mirrored each other in appearance, once. Before.

Before he returned. Before I fled.

But even distance has not allowed me to escape him, for the healers of the Uncharted Seas have already begun adopting less dire versions of Redtail's oath: the healing oath of the Midday Sun. To die a warrior and return a healer… How could the refining flame of destruction be so different? What's worse is that I can no longer read his intentions, but to his thrice-cursed Empathy, I remain an open book.

Why did I come, Lani?

The salty mist parts in our presence as we descend. A sea-worn monolith rises to our sight— all interlocking columns of black and white basalt towering high above the night-green sea, the high tips spiking like the points of a crown: Tor Rissomar— Summervane— the meeting-isle of the Council of Vermilion. It has changed little since I left.

Enormous swathes of the cliff face are polished to a near mirror finish—the work of scions of fire during the First Age. Successive years had turned that shimmering canvas into a record of our greatest deeds and most tragic defeats, carved and inlaid in images three to forty armspans in height.

The more famous works, wrought by masters across eras, depict my brethren: Recola Willtip and Latherel Ainsworth placing the first stars in the sky to herald the birth of new life and to guide the seasons; Lisenna Spyrene showing the powerless sons of Earth the way to safety as the great lands sank into the Abyss; Rekavok Ferralong staring too deep into the waters of Time and gaining his cursed sight; and Lamiferry Sorsca, my dear sister, burning with tainted fire, raising her undead army at the Frozen Firefields against the inexorable force of Miragua Forstreme and Viperilon Kellinan.

Ancient history.

A new carving catches my eye, filling in a once blank swathe; skeins of forged gold glitter and lash around ruby-faceted wings in a latticework of light, twenty or thirty armspans square. I circle back from above to take the scene in.

It is a representation of the end of the Battle of Three Seasons: me, battling Viperilon Kellinan and the ancient Kraken King near the end of the War of Corruption. The image depicts the moment of the kill. My stone depiction sweeps the cliff with wings that gleam like blood as they envelop a snarl of dagger-point fangs. Gold and tourmaline fire-threads wrap the coil of Kellinan's body, which is barely visible as a black shadow, each scale etched in matte onyx. But the Midnight Sky's claws are stark with Nykostyna's edge, the longsword shining moonstone-pale and cold as the tip of an ice-capped mountain. I can feel winter emanating from the image. Did they render his sword in high-grade coldsteel?! In the foreground, blizzard-flakes of white quartz scatter all around, while a shell of aquamarine immobilizes the tentacles of the corrupted Kraken King, freezing the scene. Amethyst geodes the size of a man's torso line up in double rows along the creature's six toothed arms. Mylstrydr—Tarrow—had taken the missing limbs in an earlier battle.

I shudder, recalling those arm-teeth rasping and scraping through flesh and bone, rending the bodies of our allies to bloody rags—the bittersweetness of blood-iron on the wind mixed with the rotted stench of the monster. The work is painstakingly accurate. 'Twas a shame the artist did not include Miragua or Tarrow, for without those two to keep the Kraken King and his hordes of corrupted spearfish at bay, and to parry the coldsteel touch of Nykostyna, I might have been slain by the Black Dragon's terrifying core defense.

Viperilon is strong and cunning enough without the malevolence of the Corruption.

Despite the critical danger, core battles are frighteningly simple in concept; the one who endures to the end shall live. The core that falters will be destroyed. Viperilon's inner sky had been empty of stars, sun, and moon. Through autumn, winter, and spring, he beset me on all sides by a storm I could not see, with blades of darkness that fell like rain and burned like acid through a leaf. But the true danger was not in his weapons.

:{You are Remoriam Amortalis, the Morning Sun:
the ember of hope, the first to rise, never to set.
Hope should never perish, Reyzan always said. So
why should you ever die?
}:

{Remoriam?} A flick of flame-feathers levels Redtail's flight with mine until we are side-by-side, cutting the gap to one armspan and a length. He sends a look of concern my way. I crush the spike of fear that drew his attention and force my focus back on the image before me.

{It is a good likeness.} I indicate the massive array with a wingtip. {Who was the artist?} The craftsman or his consultant must have been gifted with some special sight, for not many can see the threads of my core's fire.

Redtail's smile beams through his fire. {'Twas Linel and Reytin Redwill of the second generation. You left a deep impression on them—they never stop asking to hear stories about you.}

{Those tiny feather-thieves?} I recall the energetic little twins—my grandniece and nephew. When I left for the Uncharted Seas, they had been flighted but had not yet received their flames. Heh. {I did not realize master artisans accepted hatchlings as apprentices.}

{Hatchlings?} He chuckles. {They've been full-fledged for over two hundred years. Masters beg to be apprenticed to them. They finished this work nearly fifty years ago.}

His words give me pause. {Two hundred sun-cycles?} Had I truly stayed in Morning Sky territory so long? {I did not know. I have not had cause to count time until—}

{Until you lived awhile among humans?} Redtail's laugh is more lighthearted than any of Redwill's mischievous snickers. {Though Time is Water's territory, don't forget that it flows for you too, Rem.}

A merry whoop accompanies a flash of red wings. {Faster, Rem! Time flows for us too, you know. I'd pluck all my feathers out before I'd let that cripple Tarrow beat us to the battlefield!}

The memory aches.

{Speaking of time,} Redtail picks up quickly, {Before yesterday, I'd never seen you take human form for longer than a morning.}

{I never had a reason to,} I reply dismissively, {but my long watch benefited from it.}

{A long watch, it was,} Reyzan agrees.

The depth in those words is full of meaning, but it is impossible for him to miss my presence. I could never forget what he was like when he returned from the Inferno.

I dive quickly, breathing in the fresh salt of the waves, and turn my gaze again to the canvas of Tor Rissomar.

The next image on the cliffs is a mirror to my core. It is picked out in night-hued green: Latherel Ainsworth setting the northern sky ablaze with curtains of emerald light at the fall of Keninord Isle and Lindenleaf College. The entire line of Ainsworth—star-charters, mapmakers, mathematicians, essence-researchers, and architects—had been extinguished during Viperilon Kellinan and Vengefall Graysmith's rampage. With the crushing loss drowning her, and unconsolable to the last, Ainsworth resigned her cloak and returned to the Inferno.

Fire is life, but Water is never far. Even sorrow, and pain, and the Corruption cannot escape Time and the end of all creation.

But unlike my sister Lamiferry Sorsca and her mate Redwill, Latherel came back. She remembered. For she had never tasted the Corruption.

You well escaped a fate like Latherel's by leaving your own grief behind in these seas, did you not?

I glance up the cliff face, sensing more than seeing more of our fellow Suns landing at the pinnacle. Sanslock— my sister Lamiferry is already there, her cinnamon-spice blaze as familiar and dear to me as my own. As I sense her, so does she know of my presence. There will be just enough time for us to reunite before the convening of the Council. To share our lives again, and our memories as one Sun.

It has been longer than I had known, Ferry.

My wings tilt as I prepare to use the sea's updraft to rise. Reyzan halts me with a feather tip.

{Wait. I want you to see one more before we go.}

Though anxious to leave his presence, I follow as he directs us to a low breeze. We circle the base of Summervane just above the crashing waves, whooshing between the cliff and a lone sea pillar in passage to the north side of the island. Then, we swoop upward and out to face the cliffs, which are split in half between stone columns, interlocked between black and white. Some masters' hands had carved into the dark portion and intertwined the ridges with ember-jewels on the light side, leaving glowing illusions of fire trails that dance with the reflection of the sun and sea.

Redtail notes, {Linel and Reytin finished this one not two moon cycles ago.}

I recognize the event the Redwill siblings had chosen to interpret. I was there to see its end. It depicts my brother, Reyzan Redwill, at the Battle of Burning Skies— the battle wherein he scarred Viperilon Kellinan's eye and killed Vengefall Graysmith with naught but his own talons and the power of destruction. Here, Redwill's wings throw firestone heat onto the basalt. His red-diamond claws score deep across a single pearl the size of a human head, the winds of the Midnight Sky rearing into the dark, with Nykonstyna's moonstone slashes warring against flame-embers on alabaster. At the foot of the image, the ghost of scales pools into the cast-iron coils of Graysmith, a sheen of steel and dark mother-of-pearl resolving in open jaws—open in the moment before he returned to the Tempest.

Never before or since has one of the Firstborn stood alone against such a united force of peers and overwhelmingly prevailed.

Astonishment and awe rise in my core. Beyond the surface, somehow, the artists had managed to imbue the gems with emotion. The inlays of carnelian that wreathe the relief radiate with the barest taste of the rage of the Midday Sun. Truly, it is a masterwork of ages.

But that battle had been the beginning of the end for my brother. I bow my head, fighting back as awe transforms to anguish.

The fury within the stone inferno only barely resembles the Reyzan flying with me. Redwill had thrived in the middle of any conflict, in the heat of battle, dancing between the tongues of the Inferno with the joy of life, wielding the immense power of Midday as both mantle and weapon. That great warrior who had fought by my side when many of our fellows and descendants had fallen… He was just like the others who died under the Corruption. He returned, but was reforged. Refired. Unmade. His eyes had held no glimmer of the fierce love he reserved for his true friends.

My dear sister's husband, my brother-in-bond and flame, is dead.

When I look up again, Redtail is no longer in my sights. I crane my neck back. He hovers in place with several calculated wingbeats, a solemn tilt to his flight posture as he regards the masterwork wrought by his descendants.

Inferno! He had felt every spike and stab of my emotions.

{We can't go to the Council like this,} Reyzan states, angling his pinions away from the cliffs. {Your core has been as turbulent as the Sundering Seas since we left your Florialis Island. I intended to give you space, but I can't be indirect anymore. Not with the lives hanging on our unity before the Council. Come, Remoriam Amortalis, Sun of the Morning. Let's talk.}

Dread blazes up like molten firestone from a mountain.

{And if I do not?} I demand. {Your healer's oaths would hardly allow you to use force.}

I had underestimated him. The whole trip was Reyzan's testing grounds: him weighing the movement of my emotions with every word. My reaction to his descendants' work must have given him enough reason to confront me.

{Won't they?} Redtail darts overhead, veers, and drops to face me, feather-flames banked, darkening, edged in red-hot incandescence until his form resembles the pulsing glow of a dying wood fire—a maneuver that has all of the signs of Redwill bolting to attack—until he resembles the very image on the cliff behind him. I tense, flaring my fire in response.

{You are bluffing,} I retort. {Nothing you hold can harm me! You would not dare to risk a curse of oathbreaking on your brand of healer's oath.}

He regards me, unfaltering. {I've often rebroken improperly set bones to heal them. Yet here I remain. Alive.}

The words strike deep. {I do not need rebreaking!}

{That's true—} And Redtail is suddenly in my range— {because through all these years, you haven't healed at all.}

I strike out at his face with a trumpeting shriek—I know not if in anger or in grief. He drops on a feather-tip and loops below me, and in the same motion, twists upside down to lock my talons between his in a classic grab. He hurls us into a rapid corkscrew, shooting away from the cliffs, back upward through the clouds.

I twist and break his hold, then throw some distance between us, flicking my claws with anger upwelling in my breast.

{You are getting what you asked for!} I snarl. {I came back to these seas— to this Council— at your request. I will fulfill my agreement. Anything beyond that concerns you not!}

{But it does.} His feather-flames, each a tongue of pure destruction, rally in agitation. He flutters his wings to and fro, grazing the clouds, yet not one evaporates at his touch—a testament to his exceptional control over our domain. {Had I known you wouldn't find healing in distance, I wouldn't have waited so long. 'Twas a mistake for me to allow the space to remain.}

{I am here. What more do you want?}

{To talk,} he says simply.

Instead of replying, I unleash the full measure of my disgust through the threads of my inner flames. Redwill had once likened the emotion to the taste of an unripe ash gourd. I gain no satisfaction from his responding grimace.

{Let's make a deal.} Redtail waves a crimson tip, drawing a line of light. {I'll ask you one question. Then, we will go to the Council without delay.}

I scoff. {It cannot be so simple.}

{You're right. Dare to answer me in the essence, in the tongue of our great Father, and I will leave you alone forevermore if that is what you wish. But if you fail to answer, we will talk. If you run from me now, know that after today, I will seek you out until this life's end.}

Reyzan has doubtlessly chosen a question that ensures his victory. But to refuse—no. I will not refuse. I cannot retreat from this. I refuse to be caged by the uncertainty of a question.

{I will take those chances.}

Reyzan's sigh ripples across his body in shades of deep, red-flecked orange, but he does not drop his aggressive posture. {Answer, then, if you can. I am a healer, and you know this part of my vows: To the Inferno or the Void, I shall not cause harm that intentionally opposes healing or saving lives. Declawed, some call me. Coward, others think. Crippled, they murmur. They say I am weak. They say I am no longer Reyzan, the refining crucible of sunhigh—that the Midday Sun no longer treads the path of Fire. Tell me, Remoriam… Are they right?}

No, I want to answer. Only fools would think Reyzan is weak. Our domain, our origin could never be so. Yet… I knew Redwill— knew my brother's path, once. But Redtail, I do not know. I have never tried to learn. Never wanted to point the knife of hope at myself. Admitting it? No. I will not answer. I cannot.

Redtail feels my acknowledgement of loss.

{Reyzan,} he says, too gentle to be scolding, {"Who says that I am crippled has not seen the path I stride."}

{Those are Tarrow's words,} I mutter.

{Yes. I used to laugh at him for it, you know. It took the Inferno to make me understand what he meant. Like him, my limitations are never weaknesses. You know this, but admitting it… Do you fear hope so much that you'll run from me even now, Remoriam?}

Something inside me unclenches. He has read me too closely. {Fine. I will try… to talk.}

Somehow, those words are not as frightening as I expected.

-
-

Reyzan leads our descent to a cave nestled at the seapoint of Summervane's northern cliff, beneath the Redwill twins' relief—the furthest point from the Council's convention. The cave affords us some privacy and the distance to detect anyone rude enough to eavesdrop. The waves have weathered the cave floor smooth, but plates and bumps of ancient firestone jut unevenly from the walls, with some slabs robust enough to serve as seats.

Reyzan shifts to earthen form a moment before he lands. Nary a stumble marks his human stride on the sea-soaked stone. I do not attempt the same landing. Instead, I perch on the basalt floor, mantle my wings, and expand my presence until the headfeathers of my true form match his human height.

Redtail's appearance is younger than Redwill's was—more a man in young adulthood than a man in his prime—and he wears his auburn hair not loose or in war braids, but tied high at the back of his head, where it trails down his neck and into the wind, feather-light, ending in a spray of true red. His cloak of Earth, fastened at the breastbone by a Lindenleaf sunflower wrought in burnished bronze, drapes over both shoulders and descends to the back of his knees, covering the red-dust tunic of a master healer of the college of Sel Kalorey. His whole image is softer, more gentle.

{Talk, then,} I prompt.

Redtail sighs. "Shall we not talk face to face, Remoriam?"

He wishes for a fully private conversation, then, using our cloaks of Earth to shed essence-listeners or the flames of any curious Mimore.

I turn my head aside. {No.}

"Again, you turn away. What do you fear to see in my eyes?"

{Nothing.} I fear to see… nothing.

"All right," he relents. "Remoriam, you've avoided the Charted Seas since you left all those years ago. Why did you agree to come?"

{Lani,} is my response. {It is my wife you must thank for my presence.}

"No," Redtail draws out slowly. "You made your choice freely. Remoriam is the ember of dawn, of hope. You would do no less."

{Hope is the pain that keeps one going through the darkness. It does not mean to have compassion,} I counter, anticipating his trail of thought. {My wife cares too much about people she might never meet. I would not be here if she did not ask. If you want kindness from the Morning Sun, then find my sister.}

"You are kind. Compassionate," Reyzan murmurs. "A son of Fire lacking compassion wouldn't have brought tidings to the family of the man who failed to subdue dear Sorsca at the Firefields, nor would he have stayed for their time of grieving. I didn't have the strength for that."

The knife of hope scores a line across my flame. {You remember—?!}

Long ages ago, I had sought after that man's widow to bring news of his death. His hesitance had cost many lives at the Frozen Firefields, yet… I could not fault him for being unwilling to end my sister's life. Of my loved ones, Redwill alone had known what I did for that man's family. And then he forgot in death.

Or so I had believed.

"Yes," Reyzan says, shattering my beliefs. "I didn't lose my memories when I died."

{But you did not know me when you returned!}

"You're right. I didn't— don't. I'm still relearning who you are." His voice carries a vulnerable, un-Redwill tone. "I'm sorry."

I meet his eyes at last. His irises are the same color of mulled cider, which brighten in joy and darken in sadness. The familiar shade thrusts the knife deep into that old wound. I give in to weakness and longing and bury my flames in my cloak of Earth, closing my true form into human flesh. Two strides take me before Reyzan. I grab his shoulders, ignoring his now-shorter height.

"You should have come!" I shout. "Why did you not tell me? I thought everything about you was lost!"

"I was lost."

"But you said you remembered— You knew what I did!"

Reyzan touches my arm in a calming gesture. "What I know is like a dream of a fondly-told story. The memory is engraved in my fire, but the experience… It is with the Inferno."

I want to back away, but I resist. "Then what is left?"

"I'm not Redwill. I will never be again." The strength of Reyzan's conviction alone could be the light of midday. "But even if I resign myself to the Void till the end of time, my name is written in the Essence. Not even the greatest of us Firstborn, with all the power of the Jewels of Creation, could change what was written before time began. I am still Reyzan, and I will be, always."

Each word pierces deep even as it heals. Reyzan is the crucible of sunhigh, in which impurities find destruction— of us all, possessing the flame closest in nature to the Inferno. Even if he had not sealed his words with fire, I would not have doubted him.

His face falls. "I know my memories are true, but I want them to become real to me again. Please, help me, brother."

I shudder. My fire longs to shed light on his downcast heart, but I hold myself in check. Inferno, why did he use the words of the Sinking? Ever do they ripple through the ages as an eternal reminder of loss.

And I do remember.

I remember the darkening cast of our brightest Sun after his battle with the two Corrupted Skies. I remember Redwill's voice, the proud voice that never asked for quarter, pleading to be released to the Inferno. I remember hearing the response, the acquiescence, too late— and seeing Mylstrydr stabbing my brother through heart and fire— and that gaze of mulled cider, clarified and calm, as he dissolved to ash around that peerless blade… and I remember the unfathomable emptiness that followed, as if Tarrow's edge had extinguished my fire too. I had never wanted to experience that anguish again. Not after Ferry.

:{Why should you ever die?}:

My body tenses; then slowly, deliberately, I breathe, letting loose a curl of gold warmth. My hand finds purchase on a rocky knob jutting from the cave wall. "Answer me one question."

"Name it."

"Was there no other way?"

"There was not."

The rock shatters in my hand. "Earth—!" I curse. "You had not yet become Corrupted. Was there truly no time to find an alternative? Swear it to me, Reyzan!"

"Oh, Remoriam…" The compassion in his voice could move a mountain to tears. "There was nothing you could have done to save Redwill. Had I fallen in full, my twisted path would have engulfed the world in destruction. I chose the purifying flames of the Inferno over the chance of becoming that. There is no other way for us Firstborn."

"I know. By the Inferno, I know!"

I sit against the cave wall. My core burns agonizingly hot in this human shell. Reyzan lowers himself to the ground before me. With purposeful slowness, always in my sights, he reaches for my hand. Its smoothness is foreign to the calluses of my palms. His are hands that have never touched the violence of war. Yet the grip is familiar, steady, and real.

"Too long have you risen alone. No more. We are one Sun, aren't we?" The hope in his voice is a match to the pain in my core. He feels it as surely as I do. "Remoriam, please, don't grieve for me any longer. I still live."

Brother. My brother. Does he not know that to allow hope after such despair is to burn my own fire? Does he not know that this is the second time? Of course. Of course he does. He knows enough.

"We have tarried long enough… Reyzan."

He stands and offers a hand down to me with a Rey-like smile, but warmer, without a hint of shadow. "In this form, you can call me Reis."

"The hearth's blaze." I nod. "It suits you."

We shed our earthen forms as one and prepare to ascend. The meeting place of the Council lies there waiting, at the summit of a memorial writ in stone.

Reyzan turns to me once more, auburn flame-feathers curling with near childlike delight. {Rem, it really is good to see you again.}

The eyes of the Midday Sun are still the color of mulled cider.

As we rise together, I dare to let go of the knife. I share with my brother the agony of a renewed joy.

-
-
-

To be continued in Vermilion II: Fugue of Blue

havent read it yet, but im about to drop everything to do so

just commenting now to tell you I just about had a heart attack seeing your name drop out of nowhere XD

Hell yea

Back