Adhoc vote count started by SpoopyGhost on Nov 2, 2023 at 12:48 AM, finished with 17 posts and 11 votes.

• [X] "So... Magic and Magical Girls exist, as do ghosts and werebears. Oh, also aliens. They offered you a job as a Magical Girl, the protector of this city, even if your situation is quite specific. At least To the extent that you are in your Magical Girl form, you can interact normally with the world. You got permission to talk to your family about it, and here you are."
    [X] "The dress is how you're seeing me right now, somehow it just works like that. Anyway, the concept of death itself, who's like actually super chill but kind of annoying, made a deal with me to stay as a ghost so she doesn't have to get as many people who won't be dying because I'll be helping this other thingy stop people, from dying that is, and also there's a girl in my class who has a crush on me and I still don't know how to feel about that, but the important part is you should stay away from that bookshop you were at earlier today, because the owner is sometimes a bear or a giant centipede. Also I made the river freeze over last night."
    -[X] I've been staying in my room most nights. So if you've heard anything coming out of my room, that was probably me. I also jumped on your bed that one night, so sorry about that. I was having a little mental breakdown.
    --[X] I'm also sorry for not saying anything sooner. Everything has been so crazy and busy, and I didn't know where to start with trying to talk to you. Or to mom and dad.
    ---[X] If you need proof I'm real, I could draw you something. Or give you a hug?
    [X] "Okay, so, first of all, I died, but then I got better, sort of. And then it turns out the world was secretly an anime all along, so now I run around as a magical girl smacking evil dudes with a magic weapon, because of course that's a thing. Anyway, I can sort of interact with things while I'm a magical girl and float around like a ghost the rest of the time. Oh, and all the creatures you've ever seen on the front covers of the supermarket tabloids are real. Not that this has been stressful or anything, but do you happen to have a spare gallon of whiskey on you?"
    [X] I've been sort of like this since the funeral. A lot happened and I'll explain more later, but I'm basically working two jobs and I get to be physical because of them. Also magical. Actually I'm always physical, I haven't gotten phasing through walls down yet. But I can be seen without mirrors or reflections.
    -[X] I've been staying in my room most nights. So if you've heard anything coming out of my room, that was probably me. I also jumped on your bed that one night, so sorry about that. I was having a little mental breakdown.
    --[X] I'm also sorry for not saying anything sooner. Everything has been so crazy and busy, and I didn't know where to start with trying to talk to you. Or to mom and dad.
    ---[X] If you need proof I'm real, I could draw you something. Or give you a hug?

I encountered technical difficulties yesterday that prevented me from closing votes at the intended time. Regardless, voting is now locked.

I have also completed an initial draft of the rewritten opening post. Too late to put up on halloween as I had hoped, but likely for the best that it is given time for fine-tuning free of an arbitrary deadline. In any case, that is also something to look forward to soon, along with the next update.

Next update is written, pending revision, and the rewritten opening post is still under editing. It will take a bit more time to polish them both, but they will be coming in rapid succession rather soon, once that is done. This next update is going to be very emotional, if I did my job right.

My Beta and I have also been throwing around ideas for a spinoff project of sorts; a series of Omake chapters focusing on another Magical Girl team and their mishaps, a few years prior to the main events here.
Hey, guess what's finally on the way?

Chapter 1 Part 1: Strange Saturday (Disaster Date! A Mystery Begins?)
Chapter 1 Part 2: Enter Saturday (Fishing For Squid? A Lazy Magical Girl Appears!)

Barring any other suggestions from my Betas, I believe everything is finally in a presentable state. Tomorrow, I will post the omake with the original text of the opening post, then replace the actual opening with the newly rewritten version, and then post the new update to move the story forward. Since we are nearing the busy winter holidays, I will leave voting open for a longer period, until a few days after New Years'.

Omake: Preserved History
This is the original version of the opening post, preserved for historical reference, in as close to its initially-posted state as possible. (Such as reverting the ring color descriptions to their first-draft names.) You may find what replaced it here.

You are dead, well before your time. You remember why, vaguely; an accident. You'd looked both ways before crossing the road, but a car screamed out of nowhere and mowed you down too fast to evade. Now you're sitting in the graveyard where you've been buried, staring at your own tombstone glumly. You were just a normal teenage girl, until this happened.

What is your name?
> Write-In

The funeral's over. You regained consciousness about halfway through the eulogy, standing up from the coffin to tell everyone you were fine. It didn't take long to realize they couldn't see or hear you, and you'd left your body behind. The service was an awkward affair after that; classmates who never gave you a second glance were suddenly singing your praises, while distant relatives struggled to find something relevant to say. When your parents took the stand it was a different matter; though the reality of the situation had yet to sink in properly, you still got teary-eyed at the idea of potentially never seeing them again. They were embarrassingly out-of-touch, to be sure, but always meant well. You're going to miss them more than you expected.

After that was the drive to the graveyard on the edge of town, and the burial. That was uncomfortable in a different sort of way, watching the coffin be lowered and dirt shoveled on top, knowing your body was in there. Were you supposed to stay in the coffin with it? That didn't quite seem right, but staying up top, watching from the edge of the crowd struck you as wrong too. Either way, it's done and over with now. Here you sit, alone, as the sun sets on the rows of tombstones.

But just as it slips beneath the horizon, something happens. An eerie mist billows from the trees, and from a doorway you suspect wasn't there a moment ago, a strange specter appears. "Are you the grim reaper?" you ask, somehow knowing you'll be heard this time.

"Not quite," the stranger says, which you suppose makes sense given their lack of robes or a scythe. "Rather, I am here to give you a job offer."

"Why me? I'm dead." On some level, you're alarmed by how calm you are about all of this.

The stranger's eyes shift to the side. "You meet the necessary criteria, and being dead means you'd theoretically have less to hold you back from taking the offer. I wouldn't do this under normal circumstances, but recruitment is at an all-time low. Living applicants have started turning the job down a lot more frequently in the past six or seven years; something about a 'bunnycat?' I've never even heard of such a thing before, and there's nothing untoward about the job itself, but there's this sudden strange level of suspicion involved that I just don't understand. I've still got a couple of others for this region who have expressed interest, but any sort of additional help is more than welcome."

"I see." You're not sure you understand any more than they do, but nod regardless. "What is the job?"

"Ah, sorry!" the stranger blushes, realizing their blunder. "It's… how would you like to become a Magical Girl?"

"A magical girl?" You cock your head, confused. "I consider just being a ghost pretty magical just on its own… also kind of spooky, really."

"A Magical Girl is a transforming warrior who protects humanity against the forces of darkness!" The stranger explains. "Unknown to the general population, you fight against all sorts of dark magical beings that seek to do harm."

"Oh, that kind of magical girl?" You remember watching some shows like that as a kid, but you haven't really given it much thought in years, and it's strange to think that it's actually real. Still... "I guess that would give me something to do…" Sure beats sitting around in a graveyard, moping all the time. "Fine, I'm in."

"If that works for you, yes." The stranger just seems relieved you accepted at all. They produce a cushion with several different-colored rings sitting on top. "Now to select from these. Choose the one that you feel the most… connection with." Holding your hand over them, you somehow sense an… attitude from each, for lack of a better word.

What kind of Magical Girl will you be?
> Red - Aggressive (High offense, low defense, medium versatility)
> Orange - Reliable (Medium offense, high defense, low versatility)
> Green - Creative (Low offense, medium defense, high versatility)
> Blue - Straightforward (High offense, medium defense, low versatility)
> Purple - Mysterious (Medium offense, low defense, high versatility)
> Pink - Peaceful (Low offense, high defense, medium versatility)

I have also taken the liberty of altering out any mentions of Sailor Moon in other updates, and have the original passages preserved here:

Update 1F
Original:
Sure, there's this whole 'magical girl' schtick that you remember just enough from those childhood anime reruns to understand the basics of, but the rest of the time? Sailor Moon still had to deal with school and homework and friends when she wasn't prowling the moonlight, but you… you're past all of that now.

New:
Sure, there's this whole 'magical girl' schtick that you remember just enough from those childhood anime reruns to understand the basics of, but the rest of the time? The protagonists of Mystic Midnight Voyager Kairi may have flown off all over the world on their brooms every night, guided only by the moon and stars during the hidden thirteenth hour only they could experience... but once the sun rose, they all still had to return home to deal with school and homework and friends. You, however… you are completely unmoored; you are past all of that now.

Update 1H
Original:
"Uh… sure." Nervousness suddenly grips you, and you idly wonder if you should do some research on this stuff. Your Sailor Moon recollections are frustratingly vague...

New:
"Uh… sure." Nervousness suddenly grips you, and you idly wonder if you should do some research on this stuff. Your Voyager Kairi recollections are frustratingly vague...

Halloween Omake
Original:
"I wanted to go as Usagi Tsukino." They say again, abruptly. "Sailor Moon, you know." You already knew.

New:
"I wanted to go as Kairi Takahashi." They say again, abruptly. "the Voyager Kairi, that is." You already knew.

And Update 3K
Original:
"Oh, that… I don't know, it just seemed like a cool codename. Like Sailor Moon has, or the Sentai Riders. Did you see my dress there? Fire? Ignite? Duh?"

New:
"Oh, that… I don't know, it just seemed like a cool codename. Like the Sentai Riders have, or Enchantress Sinisteria eventually earned. Did you see my dress there? Fire? Ignite? Duh?"

Last edited:
3R - Siblings And Sorrow
There is simply too much to talk about. Where should you start? Where can you start? So much has changed, so many things revealed in the past few days, and it all bubbles up within you as if threatening to burst out in an incoherent stream of words. You only barely manage to keep your mouth shut and avoid hastily spouting complete nonsense. You're even tempted for a millisecond to just say that the world was secretly just an anime all along, before rejecting that thought.

Instead, you finally take a deep breath, banish the useless whirl of thoughts for a moment, and start with one thing. "So… Magic exists."

"Well, clearly," Kichirou snarks back, though he looks more awed than disgruntled by your apparently obvious statement. "I can't think of any other reason for what happened earlier, or how you're here now."

You nod, and feel yourself relax a little bit more. Despite everything, this feels… casual, like any ordinary debate about stupid semantics over dinner, and a far cry from the stress of talking to your new teammates earlier. You find it a little easier to shuffle your thoughts into some semblance of order, and you press on. "Magical Girls exist too," you gesture down at your dress, "and I am one now."

Kichirou wrinkles his nose. "What? That's way too dumb and girly."

You facepalm. "Girly? I am a girl."

"It's still dumb."

"And your 'sentai riders' aren't? At least this turned out to be real."

"...Okay, fine, got me there."

Silence falls for a moment, the two of you glaring at each other slightly, before he cracks a grin. "Maybe it can be a little cool, I guess, as long as there aren't too many sparkles. I'll wait until I see you in action to decide." You hope he won't have to, but keep that thought to yourself. The last thing you want is for him to get hurt, or worse.

That reminds you of the other elephant in the room, and you glance back down at yourself. "Magical Girls exist, as do ghosts. Which I also am." Despite the comfortable atmosphere, an echo of the hollow feeling from the funeral still lingers, and that admission makes you all the more aware of it.

Kichirou doesn't say anything to that, face falling, and you quickly move on. "And there's also werebears, apparently? Definitely not one of those." You're not sure that's really what Rina-san was, but right now it's the first thing that comes to mind. "Oh, and also aliens." You recall the talk with Nel about the other worlds that the Shades influence, and your silly image of an extraterrestrial in a tutu. In a way, it occurs to you that the Shades themselves are also aliens, even if not what you would have expected.

Mental tangents aside, you're glad to see that lightened the mood a bit again. "A werebear? Did you fight one?" You suppress a wince, unwittingly recalling the distressing sound of Miho getting slapped down.

"...Yeah. We sent her running, too!" You don't think of yourself as a particularly egotistical person, but your pride does feel a bit more bruised over it than you realized until now. Technically, despite how poorly it all went, Rina-san did flee in the end, right? That totally counts. For sure, yep.

If Kichirou notices your plastered-on bravado, he doesn't comment. "Aliens… Do they like, abduct and probe people or something?" Putting his hands to his forehead, he wiggles a pair of fingers like antennae, adding a series of silly mouth noises and "beep boop, neener neener"s, and you giggle loudly. You just as quickly shut up, conscious of the noise, but laughter still shakes you into a slumped position. It feels… nice.

Finally sitting back upright, you shake your head with a lingering grin. "Not exactly, no. Really, one of them was the one who offered me this job. Magical Girl, uh, Kikuko, protector of this city!" He rolls his eyes again, and you stick your tongue out at him.

After a moment he suddenly sobers up. "Are… are they trustworthy?" You give a noncommittal hum, but nod after a moment. Nel, at least, feels too airheaded to have any ulterior motives, and the explanation of the Shades' history yesterday has mostly appeased any doubts you might have had before. Something still feels a little off, and the hospital nurse flashes in your mind, but you push that away. Midori will be looking into it tomorrow. So lost in these thoughts, you almost miss Kichirou's next question. "You said 'we'. There are other magical girls, right?" You nod again, tilting your head curiously. "Then are they… you know… deadorsomething, too?"

Ah. You close your eyes and sigh. "No, it's just… just me. My situation is quite specific." You find yourself trying to recall your first conversation with Nel, and the reasons they had given for approaching you, but so much else has happened since, that exchange is already a bit muddled in your recollection. Finally opening your eyes again, you simply shrug. "I just happened to be available, and… it lets me stick around."

This time, the melancholy silence lingers longer, before you can work up the courage to break it again. "At least when I'm in my Magical Girl form like this, I can interact normally with the world. Kind of attention-getting, really, but it's something. Otherwise, it's like when we 'talked' earlier."

It's your brother's turn to nod silently, chewing on his lower lip, before his brows furrow in discontent, tone curdling. "Then why didn't you say anything sooner?"

Your own frustration flares up in response, and you nearly snap back about how busy and overwhelmed you've been, dump everything you've had to deal with onto his shoulders and see how well he takes it. But you once again manage to hold yourself back, sinking back down into the chair, only now realizing you had leapt to your feet, and noticing the way your brother shrunk back.

Thankfully, rather than all of that, there is a much more convenient scapegoat for your ire. "Alien-san wants as much stuff kept under wraps as possible, for some reason. Can't tell the others that I'm a ghost, because that might make them look bad, and I wasn't supposed to talk to my family unless it became absolutely necessary."

Kichirou nods in understanding, looking mostly relieved, though he still raises an eyebrow at you. "But here you are."

You grin nervously with a slightly-too-shrill chuckle. "Yep. I uh… I, finally got permission? And here I am! Heh…" Your lie does not even convince yourself, and judging by the flat gaze you're met with, he sees through it too.

Then after a moment, he smiles wide and jumps up, and before you can blink, you're dragged into a tight, warm hug. "...Thanks, Nee-chan. I'm glad you talked to me anyway," he mumbles into the area of your collarbones.

Your stiff stance quickly melts, and even with your arms pinned at your sides, you find a way to return the embrace. Neither of you were especially inclined towards close contact like this, and you'll start getting uncomfortable if this lasts too long, but just this once you can make an exception. Exhaling, you lean your chin on the top of his head to hide your fond grin, and feel a little piece of that hollowness from before fill back up. For someone you were never too eager to spend time with before, you suddenly realize just how much you've missed him these past few days.

"Brrr, you're freezing!"

Thankfully, the hug ends before it can get weird, and you giggle teasingly at his exaggerated shivering, rubbing his hands together to warm them again. (With Miho's lack of complaints about the cold when you were helping to carry her, you have to wonder just what's happening here. The first place your mind goes is your old Yuki-onna costume from last year; could this be some new side-effect of being a ghost? Or perhaps your newfound ice powers are to blame; you are transformed right now, after all, though why hasn't this happened until now? Maybe you should just move on, rather than overthinking things. You need to stop thinking about this now. Stop it.)

Sitting back down much more gently this time, you lean your head back a bit. You're still not sure how much more you want to tell him, or how much you should, really, but there's a relief in having gotten this far. Nel may not approve if they knew, but it isn't without a little spiteful satisfaction that you resolve not to inform them what you've done. More importantly… You have some of your family back, in a way. Even if you are… a ghost, you are not gone, are you?.

Ghostly tears drip from your face, and yet your cheeks could almost hurt from how wide you're smiling.

Suddenly, a loud knock on the door startles you out of your feelings, and you nearly detransform on instinct before remembering the door is locked. Instead, you glance back to Kichirou, who seems just as frazzled, but makes no moves to open up. "What is it?" He finally squeaks. "This isn't a great time!"

"It's me," comes the other voice. Your father, Naruhito Yukimura. "Your mother and I have been talking about this weekend, and while I wanted to tell you earlier over dinner, we didn't make up our minds until just now. May I come in?"

Kichirou glances at you, and you hold up a finger for him to wait. Quickly picking your way across his messy floor to a far corner, you nod at him before detransforming. He stares at you in shock for a few moments more, but before you can start to worry that you're still visible, he hurries to the door to unlock it. "Toh-san, what's going on?" Kichirou asks while ushering him in.

Your father sits down heavily in the seat you just vacated, shivering briefly and subsequently frowning, before writing it off. "Given… what's happened, I realized that I have…" He pauses, giving you time to notice his crumpled business clothes, and a few grey strands (dull and flat, as opposed to the gleaming silver you and Mom share) in his short black hair that you don't remember being there before. His voice is low and quiet as always, but something about it is heavier, more exhausted, than you have ever heard it before, and his blue eyes are dull and downcast. Your soul aches at the sight. "We have not spent as much time together as a family as I would wish for in recent years, and that is largely my fault."

Your brother slumps back down onto his futon, nodding mutely.

"I still need to decide exactly how to balance my responsibilities at work with spending more time at home, and I have been… considering something, since even before last week. It isn't usually done, and I do not know what may come of this, but I may end up requesting a demotion back to my old position." You gasp, unheard. You half-remember many dinner discussions from several years ago; he had worked long and hard for his current promotion in the first place, and mixed feelings roil within you at this new admission. Kichirou looks just as shocked as you feel, but father merely gives a wry grin in response. "I don't care if that impacts my reputation in the company; I want to prioritize the important things in my life, like your mother, and you. While I still have them."

You slump back into the corner, sinking down until your chin rests on your knees. The morose mood is suffocating, too thick to even cut.

But finally, he cracks another, more genuine smile. "But all of that is long-term business. For the short term, what we can do is take a weekend vacation. Just the fo-er, three of us. You, me, and your mother, to get out of the city for a bit and get our heads on straight. We also still need to figure out whether to take condolence leave with our workplaces and your school, but for now, this is the plan."

Kichirou's eyes flicker toward your corner, but he quickly focuses back on his guest. "...What if I want to stay?" Father seems confused by his reluctance; you have no idea how to feel about any of this at all. "This just seems like pretty short notice, is all."

Your father sighs. "It is, but we didn't settle on this sooner, and I did not want to give you false expectations before we decided one way or another. I am sorry for springing this on you, but I really do think this will be good for us all."

Kichirou shrugs reluctantly, looking troubled. "I guess. Then in that case… What time are we leaving?"

"Before noon, if all goes well. We will all have to spend the morning packing, but I want to be on the highway before the lunch rush, so we can arrive in the mid-afternoon. We can spend tomorrow evening and most of Sunday sight-seeing or just relaxing, before driving back that night." Standing back up, Naruhito claps his hands once. "So if you want enough time to get your things together, bedtime should be soon. I know your teachers have assigned light homework, you can take care of that in the car tomorrow. Whatever else you are doing right now, should be finished shortly."

"Alright, alright, you got it, Otoh-san." Kichirou grumbles in annoyed resignation. You can't help but crack a small grin at the familiar tone, grateful for the levity. You are suddenly very glad that you didn't push off talking to him until later.

The two of them briefly hug, before your father heads back to the door. Before leaving, he turns back one last time. "I hope you know that I love you. Both of us do." With your brother standing almost between you and him, you can almost imagine that he's looking your way, that you're being addressed as well. He shuts the door behind him, Kichirou locks it again, and the room blurs with tears.

~~~ .oO◯Oo. ~~~​

It takes a full ten minutes for you to finally pull yourself together again and retransform, startling your brother with the sudden flash of purple light. You wordlessly make your way back across the room and not so much hug him as drape yourself over him, and he seems to understand why, quietly, literally supporting your limp figure as you let out lingering sniffles and tears.

Once your frigid contact becomes too much, he taps your arm, and you shuffle back to the chair to fall into it. Unlike the unexpected frost you left for your father, there is a warmth in the cushions left over for you, and you take comfort in it before it is soon overpowered by your deathly cold again. There is probably a metaphor in that, though you swiftly reject following that thought any further.

For his part, Kichirou busies himself with digging around in his closet, presumably for the small rolling travel suitcase buried somewhere very deep within. You notice him taking occasional glances back at you, though, and you're not sure whether he's checking on you, or checking to make sure you're still there at all. Most likely both. He doesn't say anything, and neither do you, the silence stretching wide and heavy. It feels like a dense cloud has rolled into the room, simply looming over you both without breaking into rain.

Finally finding a handle and hauling his suitcase from beneath a big pile of assorted junk, Kichirou speaks up at last. "Will you tell them too?"

You slump down further. "I…" You don't know. You hadn't even thought of it too much, and if you're perfectly honest with yourself, have been trying your hardest to think about everything but that as long as you could. Even the thought of whether to approach your brother hadn't quite crossed your mind until seeing him at the bookstore, and instinct took over then. You're glad for what's come of it, but somehow your parents feel like a different thing entirely to worry about. It's awful to see them hurting like this, but… you don't want to hurt them even more, either.

Indistinct thoughts and possibilities you can't quite put the right words to spin endlessly in your head, and in the end you just pull your knees up to bury your face in them. The thick white leather and black laces of your long boots feel weird against your forehead, reminding you of your transformation, and the whole other set of reasons to hesitate. And still yet, you miss them both so much it aches.

Kichirou speaks up again, sounding a little impatient now. "If you want to go tell them right now, I'll be here with you. Otherwise, it's two, probably three whole days before you get another chance. I get you had your reasons for waiting to tell me, but this past week was… it felt like nearly six years, not six days."

You lift your head just slightly, enough to peer over the tops of your knees at him with a frown. "I'm sorry," you mumble, "for all of… that. I just… but I don't…" You sigh. The right words refuse to come together, a blizzard raging inside of you with flurries of half-formed feelings swirling every which way. Closing your eyes again, it occurs to you that perhaps instead of trying to understand them all at once, you just need to find one to follow.

What Do You Want?
> To Tell Them Now (You're already a mess and even more unprepared than with Kichirou, but maybe you really should just rip off the bandaid while the opportunity is here. Making them wait could be too much. Whatever it was you promised to Death can wait another night.)

> To Wait Until Later (Maybe telling Kichirou sooner was good for him, but you don't know that the same will apply to your parents. Let them have their vacation to figure things out, and hopefully buy yourself the time to be better-prepared as well, and then try to find a good opportunity once they've come back. Kichirou will have to survive the weekend without saying what he knows, but you won't make him wait too much longer than that. In the meantime, you have a corrupted spirit to defeat.)

> Not To Tell Them At All (There's a part of you that worries that no matter the timing, revealing yourself to them would do more harm than good. They might not even believe you, and even if they do, you won't be coming back to life. They already lost you; it would be too cruel not to let them grieve properly. And with your new duties, you can't guarantee against them losing you all over again if something goes wrong.)

> To Abstain From Deciding (You still don't know what you want, but what you do know is that you've already committed to work with Death, and you don't intend to break that promise on the first
real job she's given. You're not in a good state to be making big decisions about your parents right now; it's better to bury yourself in your work and come back to this when you've had more time to think. This may be kicking the problem down the road, perhaps, but despite feeling annoyed with yourself, you see no good point in breaking tonight's apparent streak.)

Last edited:
Ah, jeez. I didn't think we should tell one person, much less all of our family; the only way to keep something secret is to, ya know, not tell people. But is it really reasonable to just tell our bro and expect him to stay quiet about this for the rest of his life while the rest of the family mourns around him?

No, that ship has sailed, like it or not. Still, it doesn't seem like a good idea to just charge in with no plan while we're feeling super emotional...

[X] To Wait Until Later

[X] To Tell Them Now (You're already a mess and even more unprepared than with Kichirou, but maybe you really should just rip off the bandaid while the opportunity is here. Making them wait could be too much. Whatever it was you promised to Death can wait another night.)

[X] To Tell Them Now

Postponing the reveal would be a pretty cruel thing to do when the main point of that family vacation is to deal with her death and to try to rebuild the family without her.

[X] To Abstain From Deciding (You still don't know what you want, but what you do know is that you've already committed to work with Death, and you don't intend to break that promise on the first real job she's given. You're not in a good state to be making big decisions about your parents right now; it's better to bury yourself in your work and come back to this when you've had more time to think. This may be kicking the problem down the road, perhaps, but despite feeling annoyed with yourself, you see no good point in breaking tonight's apparent streak.)

Don't mind me. This is pure role playing of overwhelmed teenager.

[X] To Tell Them Now (You're already a mess and even more unprepared than with Kichirou, but maybe you really should just rip off the bandaid while the opportunity is here. Making them wait could be too much. Whatever it was you promised to Death can wait another night.)

Last edited:
Postponing the reveal would be a pretty cruel thing to do when the main point of that family vacation is to deal with her death and to try to rebuild the family without her.
Maybe that's the point. From what I observed, we are not planning to return to the family and pick up from where we left off. They'll have to say their goodbyes, and we might visit them from time to time, but that's going to be a new relationship.

[x] To Wait Until Later (Maybe telling Kichirou sooner was good for him, but you don't know that the same will apply to your parents. Let them have their vacation to figure things out, and hopefully buy yourself the time to be better-prepared as well, and then try to find a good opportunity once they've come back. Kichirou will have to survive the weekend without saying what he knows, but you won't make him wait too much longer than that. In the meantime, you have a corrupted spirit to defeat.)

Last edited:
Maybe that's the point. From what I observed, we are not planning to return to the family and pick up from where we left off.
I think I understood what you meant, but I do feel compelled to point out that while Kikuko is not planning such a thing, neither is she planning against it. Either one would imply she has a plan of any sort at the moment, (outside of fulfilling her assignment from Death, or dealing with her unlife's twists and turns in approximately ten-minute to half-hour increments,) which, well...

(Also, the lack thereof is a bit of the point of this particular voting choice.)

that's going to be a new relationship.
This, however, I am certain will hold true in one way or another, no matter how events turn out.

Last edited:
I do feel compelled to point out that while Kikuko is not planning such a thing, neither is she planning against it.
Well, at some point not planning for something is undistinguishable from verified refusal. After all, if we the players are half-and-half about something, Kikuko may remain undecided, but the vote is not going to pass.

A few years chapters ago I brough up why Kikuko is sleeping in her own bed in secret like a poor relative no one wants around, and doesn't come out about her situation to her parents. I forgot the specifics, but the general response was to not interfere with teenage angst and leave her to suffer her personal drama in peace and quiet. I don't see what changed since then.

Admittedly, that falls nicely within the anime theme of 'no adults allowed in the story'. We only see some signs and mentions of them, like with a brief glance at Miho's home life, from which her parents are conveniently absent. Nel is the only person who barely qualifies, and even he acts like one of the kids at times.

By the way.
"Ah, sorry," the stranger says, glancing about the room over his shoulders, before meeting eyes with you and winking, a subtle black mist appearing around them for just a moment. Your own eyes widen suddenly, and you realize who it is. That was… faster than you were expecting. "I'm from the school district, heard about what happened with your daughter. I realize now isn't the best time, perhaps, but I wanted to arrange a meeting for later to discuss what to do about that."

"I'm not sure what there is to discuss, but very well." Your father says. "I'll call tomorrow. What's your number?"

"Ah, let me see…" The stranger digs in their pockets before handing him a business card, then bows slightly at the waist and turns to leave. "I look forward to speaking with you tomorrow, then. Have a good night."
Nel made an attempt to contact our parents. This was some time ago. What came out of it?

Last edited:
[X] To Tell Them Now

The best time to tell your family you love them is right now. Will it be messy? Fuck yes it will. But as Kukiko and family have experienced, a messy now is better then full on never.
Maybe that's the point. From what I observed, we are not planning to return to the family and pick up from where we left off. They'll have to say their goodbyes, and we might visit them from time to time, but that's going to be a new relationship.
The relationship will be different of course. Kukiko might even really start looking at moving out for realies, and the work she has will eat up a lot of her time, and she's a bit of a loner by nature.

That doesn't mean she's not around, that her parents aren't around, and that all parties involved wouldn't feel immensely better knowing they're doing alright and knowing what they're up too. Even if this was just saying goodbye it'd be worthwhile closure. But it's not, it's a family getting a chance to reunite after tragedy. That's not something to skip out on, period.

As I already said - my vote is pure roleplay of teenager in over her head and throwing herself into work to try and delay the decision. With an additional element of "trying to be responsible" tm of the MG work and the Reaper assistant work being something she still has and can do after the speeding driver took away her future and choices. Plus a bit of self focused anger for not making the most of her time and starting to buy into the (false) idea that she actually didn't look both ways before crossing. (Though I will admit I do like this vote for just continuing the forward press of getting the ghost thing for Death done while retaining the emotional turmoil.)

But there is absolutely no wrong answer to this. It's a vote of characterization and a bit of "How do you want to play this".

Not telling the parents ever is a vote for the type of depressed/responsible teenager that would do that, see her state as one that is going to end (Look this is a MG story - resurrection is not by any means guaranteed but by virtue of this genre until we get word from our QM it is distinctly not off the table either) and try to minimize hurt. Also a vote for sneaking around, interacting with her brother who will be getting in trouble with this vote option without the parents finding out.

Telling the parents now is a vote for a closer empathy. This might all be temporary but it is a reprieve and a chance to say goodbye for as long as the events last. This is the option most likely to bring the family into the magical girl formula the farthest. And family is a big deal of the MG formula honestly.

Doing it after the vacation puts a bit more distance - especially as the reasoning of the family being in mourning and adjusting to the absence of her in the family will likely be brought up. This also makes for a cruel bit of bittersweet. Kukiko's father is taking time off to be with his family more - and it is still too late for Kukiko.

I'm not changing my vote on this but honestly -

There's no right or wrong vote here. Just one for how the thread wants the quest to play out. All of these play out in fascinating ways.

Last edited:
And family is a big deal of the MG formula honestly.
Not only that, but it struck me just how much this whole past episode has related to family. The shapeshifting bookshop siblings, Kikuko and her brother, and while Nevill pointed out that Miho's parents were conveniently gone, honestly they felt rather conspicuous by their absence. The cat was called out as more meaningfully living in that apartment than the actual humans.

It's been two, maybe three updates between Miho admitting her parents probably wouldn't be present to drive her to the hospital if needed because they work overtime and on weekends; and Kikuko & Kichirou's dad admitting to realizing that he's been too much of a workaholic, and needs to step back and reassess his priorities. What a juxtaposition.

I'm still not sure how I want to vote, so holding off for now; I just wanted to point this out.

Back