[X] Rush to the Library and clean what you can before Sister Naomi catches you slacking
[X] Interlude
-[X] A Gentle Guard

Act I - 7. Caught in the Act / Interlude 1 - A Curious Child
[x] Rush to the Library and clean what you can before Sister Naomi catches you slacking

Day 1
Evening

Surprisingly, the ever-baffling labyrinth carved into the rock under the Synagogue did not make your journey as difficult as it could have been. Perhaps you'd found a shortcut when you accidentally turned left instead of right in the first corridor? Maybe it, too, knew the wrath of Sister Naomi and was helping you out of sympathy? Had it always been this long and your panic was making it seem shorter? Whichever it was, your aching muscles flooded with relief as you slowed to a stop in front of Library Gimel, wheezing. You didn't run very much. You stumbled in, gasping for breath and grasping at the front desk.

"Why hello, Maiden Anna." You freeze. No. That voice, that sickeningly sweet tone. No, not here, not now! "I was wondering when you would appear. For a moment, I thought you were planning on skipping your duties. Again."

"N-never!" You say, legs shaking from more than exertion. "I was d-doing something for Fa-Father-"

You look up. Less than an inch from your face is another, consumed by a disgustingly saccharine smile, a tiny button nose, and eyes best described as slits. She always wore that unnerving smile, like she was living some sort of dream.

"Don't give me that shit, little bitch." Sister Naomi quietly threatened, still grinning like some sort of psychopath. "I told you, clean the Library by dinner. Now, can you tell me what time it is?"

"E-evening." You're quaking in your tunic. Just your tunic. Oh God, you're in nothing more than your tunic. You aren't wearing your robes, or your headdress, or anything you're supposed to be wearing. I'm going to die, you conclude. Sister Naomi is finally going to lose it and kill me.

She nods, still far too close to your face for comfort. "That's right, it's evening. Dinner-time. And is the Library clean?" You shake your head. You honestly have no idea, considering that the only thing you've seen of the Library so far is Naomi's evil smile, but since you weren't here to clean it you assume it's dirty.

"Correct. Now, to me, that sounds like you're slacking." Her grin widens. "You know what I do to slackers, right?"

You shiver. You knew very well how she treated slackers. You're pretty certain it was borderline sadistic.

"Good." She leans back, moving out of your face. You release a breath you didn't know you were holding. Then you gasp and choke for air, as you still haven't recovered from your mad dash. She completely ignores your desperate attempt to fill your lungs, instead chucking a duster and pan at your head. "Lucky for you, I checked with the kitchen staff before I came over, so I know you haven't had dinner yet. Finish tidying the place up before prayers are over and I'll make sure Miriam saves you something."

You pick up the cleaning equipment, nodding profusely and rubbing the newly-formed sore spot on your temple. You immediately dash towards the closest bookshelf, dusting off the tomes on its shelves. It takes you a few minutes to finish it, but when you do it's spotless. You don't think you've ever dusted anything that quickly before. Looking around, you see the other dozen or so you need to clean and sigh before going back to work.

Partway through, you check to see if the terrifying woman behind the front desk is watching. When you realize she's turned away, you quickly whisper a spell under your breath.

Research Roll (1d4): 2 RP Gained!
Spiritual Lvl ??? - (2/???) RP

You feel a little lighter, less fatigued. You've practiced that spell a hundred times before, you're certain you've mastered it. Even so, the subtle relaxation that flows through your muscles is refreshing. Enough so to fill you with determination. You redouble your cleaning efforts.

Almost an hour later you come away, having cleaned off every book from Aard and You: How to Keep Toxic People Away to Zoroaster's Magical Revolution. Your arms are tired, you back is sore, and you have a stupidly proud grin on your face. Take that, dust! Not even you can withstand the power of Magic!

"Oh, you finished dusting the lit'." Naomi looks up from a table she's scrubbing. "Just make sure the Collection in the back is secure and we can call it a day."

You nod, setting your tools in a bin behind the front desk. You walk back between the rows of neatly organized books, heading towards a wooden door along the far wall. You stop before it, examining the aperture for any flaws. The locks along its edge seem sturdy, and a rap of your knuckles against it prove the metal is still tough. The numerous symbols engraved on its face are smooth and legible, so the Seal is still in effect.

Guess this barrier is still working. You touch a drawing in the center of the door, a beast with four faces on its head, one facing each cardinal direction. Above its head is the same flaming crystal from the wheel-creature, and like before the drawing moves and lightning silently arcs to your skin.

When you pull your hand away from the door, you turn around to see a dozen large display cases. You take your time examining each one.

The Demon Claws are undisturbed, that's good. Most of the restricted tomes are here, but there's a few missing. You see the note left where one is supposed to be. "Borrowed for a few days, will return ASAP. - H.P. Absalom" Okay, guess you didn't need to worry about those. At least he left behind the Deckronomicon. Last time he had that, he forced you to undergo ten rounds of that stupid ritual with him. Seriously, what Demon manifests their power as a children's card game?!

It doesn't take you much longer to ensure that, yes, everything was where it was supposed to be, and those that weren't had been taken out by Father and so didn't count. You happily return through the eldritch portal to Library Gimel, which you immediately exit once you see that Naomi has already left.

After a quick dinner and a pit stop by the laundry station to pick up your robe and headpiece, you head back to the main hall you passed through on your way to Father's quarters. Most everyone else is leaving, and you have to push through the crowd to enter. You find an empty pew in one corner and begin your evening prayers.

-:-:-;-:-:-​

[x] A Curious Child

The back alleys of Temple City were a network of twists and turns that would easily lose anyone unfamiliar with them deep inside. One could enter a path in the North-East district and exit onto the Southern thoroughfare without ever leaving the convoluted maze of side-streets. In fact, it was that very avenue on which a certain child walked, grinning like a loon. Strapped to the side of his stained overalls was a small bag that clinked every so often with the sound of coin. The boy hummed to himself a tune he couldn't quite remember, sounding to anyone who passed by like a discordant mess. And yet the child was not in any way perturbed by his off-pitch music. No, he was far too excited to be bothered by anything but his destination.

He arrived behind the Horse Bar. It was called that because, he claimed, it was a bar with a horse on its front. None could argue with such sound logic, and when they tried he ignored them. They were fools, he assumed, since they used strange words as they pointed at the fancy stage the horse danced on. They said the stage was made of words, but he was no fool. Words were words, not pictures.

He removed the pouch from his hip, looking through and counting the coins inside: one brown, a yellow, and three gray of varying sizes. He knew the brown ones weren't too special since the Bread Lady wouldn't give him anything for it. The gray ones were different: the bigger they were, the more he could get with them. He'd walked away with a whole loaf when he gave her one as big as his palm. He had no idea what the yellow ones were worth. Maybe, just maybe, what he had would be enough for a night here.

He put the pouch back on his hip and marched inside, smile still on his face. The first thing he felt was the warmth of the room. It was like a blanket was wrapped around him, except better because there were no holes where the cold got in. Then the smell of warm food hit him. Bread, and something else. Something rich and savory he'd never tasted before. His mouth began to water.

The room was almost empty besides a few laborers in one corner, laughing loud enough to fill the whole space. As he crossed the room, he noticed a man sitting on a raised portion of the floor. He held a strange instrument in his hand, like a guitar but with more strings. He sang a strange song the boy had never heard before, only strumming every so often.

And since it fell unto my lot,
That I should rise and you should not,
I'll gently rise and softly call:
"Good night and joy be with you all!"

The child strode to the front desk, where a young woman sat reading a book.

"Ma'am?" asked the child.

The woman looked up, and for a moment looked around in confusion. Only when the boy called for her again did she peer down and see him standing there proudly.

"Oh my," she exclaimed, smiling brightly. "And what can I do for a strapping young boy like yourself?"

The boy preened under the praise. "I want a special room." He lifted his pouch towards the counter, straining to reach it. The woman picked it up and looked inside. Her smile seemed to dim somewhat.

"I'm sorry, I don't think this is enough for one of our suites. Maybe I can get you a meal or a normal room?"

The boy shook his head. He knew when he was being gypped. He was smart and had learned beforehand how much this place had cost from a kind old beggar he'd met along the way. This, of course, was just before the man had fallen asleep and the boy, being the intelligent and opportunistic child he was, robbed him blind. "'One yellow piece to the lady at the front, and she'll give you a room and take care of you.' That's what he said."

The young woman smiled at the boy, but he thought it looked odd. "Who told you that?" She asked sweetly.

The boy shrugged. "I don't know. A beggar told me what to do, but a few people in the North talk about how well they sleep with the lady from the Horse Bar." He smiled at her, radiating an odd sort of innocence. "I wanted to sleep well, so I came here. You have a good reputation, miss!"

The woman suddenly wore a very odd face. The boy was not familiar with faces like that, he was much more used to smiles, frowns, and glares. This looked like a smile, but she didn't seem happy. She seemed angry, but he couldn't tell what it was towards. He shrunk a little, just to make sure it wouldn't be him.

The lady at the front finally sighed. "Go out back," she says. "I'll be there in a second."

A few minutes later, the boy was sitting on a box behind the Horse Bar. He was beginning to think that he'd been gypped, but he could fix that if he just ran in and started screaming. Everybody on the thoroughfare believed you if you were a kid. The boy was not afraid to use those around him as a weapon.

Just as he thought that the door of an adjacent building swung open. The lady from the front stood there, looking impatient. "Well, come on."

He got up and walked through the door. Inside was a bare room with a lamp, some books, and a bed. The lamp had an ugly red shade over it, the books were dusty, and the bed looked ready to fall apart and smelled too strongly of flowers.

"In here," said the lady, walking through a second door. The boy followed, entering a much more decorated room. A bed, much smaller than the one in the other room, sat along the back wall. Bookshelves stretched from floor to ceiling, packed tight with dozens and dozens of different books. On a desk were a collection of pens and piles of paper filled with doodles. Little paper animals and people hung from the ceiling by string, each one in a different pose.

"Wow," says the boy, excitement and wonder filling him.

The lady closes the door, moving to sit on the bed. "I don't let many people in here, but you're a special case." She motions to a table beside her bed. On it is a bowl of soup and a single piece of bread. "It's nothing wild, just what we'd already made in the kitchen, though I expect you'll like it all the same."

She was right. It tasted delicious! The boy shoveled the meal down, alternating between dipping the bread in and using a spoon. It wasn't long before he'd finished the whole thing. "Thank you, miss." He said, burping loudly.

"You're welcome," she said, smiling. "I wish all my customers were as grateful as you." The boy yawned, surprisingly tired after his meal. "And now that I've taken care of you, it's time for you to sleep well."

The boy nodded. His eyelids felt so droopy. His belly was warm and happy. He didn't even complain when the lady picked him up and set him in her bed before leaving. He was amazed, for a moment, that she had a blanket with no holes, and how warm it was. Then he closed his eyes and sleep overtook him.

-:-:-;-:-:-

Day 1 Completed
Day 2 Begins

Anna: Research the night through or sleep (Current hours awake: 40)

[] Research (4d4 RP)

[] Sleep

Perspective Change and Morning activities for Day 2?

[] Stay as Anna
-[] Morning Prayers
-[] Request Duties from Naomi
-[] Patrol Halls for Deviant Furniture

[] Play as Den
-[] Study Tome
-[] Research Manuscripts (choose Stat to focus on)
-[] Explore the City
-[] Investigate the Taint

P.S. Character Sheets Updated

Last edited:
[x] Sleep

Nighttime research? Wouldn't that get her in trouble when she eventually misses some errand or other?

[x] Play as Den
-[x] Explore the City

I think it's time for us to finally check out the city.

P.S. Character Sheets Updated
Uh... which part?

Does Marching Mare have prostitutes? I figured it for an inn of a somewhat higher class, what with it being a tourist trap, where the kind of people a homeless boy could run into on the streets would struggle to enter. And the services provided would have a price tag attached that would create a reputation of a different sort than the boy's words seem to imply.

Last edited:
Act I - 8. Secrets of the Be-Witcher
Note to future me, stop writing so late at night. Plot holes appear in interludes and general ideas get funky. Tried to fix some of them (like the money involved), but others couldn't be edited without an in-depth alteration to a potential questline so I'll save those edits for when I'm rested and awake. Until then, I offer more words for your visual consumption.

[X] Sleep
[X] Play as Den
-[X] Study Tome

Day 2
Morning

For the third time in as many days, you wake up in an unfamiliar room. The first time was, of course, the nice but simple room on the second floor of the Marching Mare. The second was in a strange clinic with a stranger napping on your legs. Now, it was a small side room with nothing more than a bed and dresser inside.

You sigh, stretching your legs over the edge and sit up. The walls have no windows, but you can feel the chill air blowing under the door reminding you that it's still early. A shiver trails your spine, motivating you to put on some clothes. It isn't long before you're ready, and a quick glance at the hand mirror sitting atop the dresser proves that you do, in fact, look ready to face the cool morning air. Your wool jacket somewhat matches the scarf covering the lower half of your head, but function was more important than fashion.

You step out into an alley behind the Marching Mare. Unlike the other rooms in the inn, yours does not directly connect to the main floor. It's beyond the kitchen area, and only accessible from this alleyway. There are a few more doors facing this way besides yours, but they aren't as important to you as getting inside and warm is.

Across the path the innkeep, Mary, if you recall correctly, steps out from her own living arrangements. She has bags under her eyes and, like you, does not seem to appreciate the morning chill. She notices your gaze and gives you a nod. You return it and follow her inside.

The tavern is completely empty. You expected as much, considering the hour, but it's still a bit odd to witness. Even when there had been a poor turnout last night, there had been the usual workers in their own corner, Mary, and the staff she had in the kitchen. Now, only Mary and you were in the tavern, it was too early for the other patrons to appear. You couldn't complain though. Yesterday you did as you were supposed to and revealed your Seal. She'd transferred you to your new room, and you'd offered to help her open if she let you keep playing despite being Tainted. She had eagerly taken the deal.

Said woman shambles towards the door to the kitchen. She appears in the window a moment later, holding out a towel. "Tables?" She mutters.

"Sure." You take the cloth, which you realize she'd already wet, and start wiping off the nearest set. Mary disappears into the kitchen, and you can hear her preparing the cookware for the day. It takes you a few minutes, during which a few of the cooks arrive, but eventually, every table is clean and you return the towel behind the window. The beleaguered innkeep thanks you for your help and offers you a cup of coffee in return. You happily take it and find yourself a corner to occupy.

Once you're seated, you pull out the Divine Tome you keep strapped to your hip. There are still quite a few tales which you could study, though it's a gamble on how useful any could be. Some might give you an interesting idea on how to use a spell outside of its normal usage, while others could clue you in on a whole new spell. There were times, though, that they taught you just about nothing.

Story Roll (1d10): 3
[ANDRZEJ SAPKOWSKI MAGIC]

When you opened to the first page of such a random story, you assumed it was the middle one. It was a tale of an adventuring monster-slayer, summoned by a king to save his daughter who had been cursed. The daughter, long thought dead, had become a creature of the night that preyed upon any who entered her domain. The King had heard that she could be cured if someone survived in her hunting grounds from evening until morning, and so asked the monster-slayer to do so. Later that night, the King approached the monster-slayer and told him that, were his life to be in danger, he was permitted to kill the monster that had once been his daughter.

The monster-slayer entered the hunting grounds in the evening, only to be confronted by a traitor in the King's court who wished the monster to be left alone and ruin the people's faith in their King. The monster-slayer tied up the traitor and fed him to the monster. He fought off the beast not by blade, but by having more hate than it. And when he awoke just before dawn broke and found a little girl where the monster had been, she cut out his throat before her sanity returned.

You blink. Then, you blink again. Followed by some more blinking. Well, that was depressing. This is why the Divine Tome is odd. There is always magic, and always something to learn from it, but the stories they are a part of are an incredibly mixed bag. Legends, myths, and histories are all fair game in there.

You take out a small piece of paper and begin to mark down your thoughts. The magic in this story was subtle. If you hadn't been studying it for a year already, you think you'd have probably missed it. Now, though? You can see the hints as what they are and work from there.

Curse alters girl into a monster
Surviving one night can change her back

That was the gist of the magic mentioned. It wasn't terribly specific, which you'd have appreciated more, but you'll take what you can get. The curse was the first part and probably most important part: this magic wasn't something that worked just to turn any monster or demon into a defenseless little girl, it was something created to counteract a malicious curse or hex. While it was hard to tell with some of the stories you read, curses and hexes seemed to fall into the category of Demonic Magic. Knowing that you could probably label the slayer's magic as Divine, if not a more specific type dedicated to breaking or reversing the effects of Demonic Magic. If you had to guess, it was something involving the ritual of survival.

Anti-Demon Magic reverses effect
Works by overcoming curse?

The curse seemed explicitly designed to turn the princess into a murderous beast. Its purpose was probably something meant to threaten or frighten the King. However, the solution to overcoming it was, oddly enough to you, not involving counter-spells. Rather, it was a simple ritual of actively fighting the curse's power. By preventing the curse from achieving its purpose at the height of its power, it was broken. Or, not broken, but lessened over time. You quickly jot down another note.

DO NOT ASSUME ALL GOES WELL
Wait for all criteria to be completely met before examining results

Perhaps the secret to breaking curses was not in more spells, but in defying the very nature of the curse itself? By overcoming the purpose that designed them, could they truly be reversed? It was something you'd have to think about, but sadly something you were unable to test currently. Or rather, something you were unwilling to test.

Your Seal burns against your chest.

A peek outside reveals the sun is rising steadily higher in the sky. You've spent quite some time studying that one story, and now it's nearly midday. There's still plenty of time to do other things, though. You're in no rush.

What's the plan for Midday?

[] Research Manuscripts (choose a Stat)

[] Explore the City
-[] Choose a direction

[] Investigate the Taint
-[] Synagogue
-[] Locals
-[] Guards

[] Talk to Mary
-[] About what? (Write-inn)Get it?

She'd transferred you to your new room, and you'd offered to help her open if she let you keep playing despite being Tainted. She had eagerly taken the deal.
I am less and less sure about what it means to be a Tainted. Also, about our arrangement with Mary.

Since we had to renegotiate the agreement (and take up extra work to keep it), I assume that a Tainted entertainer is a turn-off to some - but then, why let him play if he just scares away customers? Isn't the point to attract them? Is Mary doing this out of kindness, or is there no one better on the block?
Also, we offered to play to be able to afford a discount in the first place - we didn't negotiate any income to be made from it. Since we were moved to a room with, ah, much more humble conditions, we could probably afford it anyway and use the time to make a few coins on the side? Or is it hard to find employment as a Tainted?
...are we playing/working just to have a roof over our head at night?

Perhaps the secret to breaking curses was not in more spells, but in defying the very nature of the curse itself? By overcoming the purpose that designed them, could they truly be reversed?
Interesting. I wonder if a Taint is a curse, and whether it is subject to the same rules. Or if it has a purpose behind it.

[x] Investigate the Taint
-[x] Guards

I am curious about any legal implications of our newly acquired status. What are we allowed and not allowed to do? Probably better find out now than after breaking some law we haven't heard of.

Last edited:
Rectifying Mistakes and Clearing Misconceptions I: Den and the Marching Mare
*Awakens* Ah yes, I am well rested now and can properly answer any questi-
*Legitimately concerning questions regarding Tainted*
Oh, son of a motherless goat. Let me grab my notes.

Okay, while it was nowhere near as obvious as I wanted it to be, the only thing Mary did is put you in the humbler room. Den preemptively offered to open the tavern (i.e. wipe tables in the morning) out of his own concern that he might be kicked out. If I had been more awake, the conversation would have gone something like.

Den: So it turns out I have this Seal thing and I'm supposed to let you know.
Mary: Oh, alright. Well, I'm required to put you in separate housing by law, so you can have one of the side rooms across from mine. As a precaution, you should probably sit away from other customers so they don't notice my bard has a Seal. Actually, it might just be better off if-
Den: No, wait! Please don't kick me out!
Mary: Wha-
Den: I'll do anything! Anything at all! Just don't take away my music!
Mary: I didn't say a-
Den: I'll help you open in the mornings! I'll wipe down all of your tables while I'm here, for free! Just please, don't send me away...!
Mary: ...I was gonna say you should probably not tell anyone you're Tainted, but I'm not turning down free labor.
Mary: Okay kid you got yourself a deal.

But I was dead tired from 8 continuous hours of travel to sell a chair on Craigslist, plus filming for a project, and it was midnight when I began writing. My mind was, shall we say, absent.

Going to your actual questions, Mary would want to keep Den because booking another bard/entertainer in a city where most people musically inclined are indoctrinated into the church is a difficult task. So far in the story, both of the entertainers who have played in the Marching Mare have been foreigners. Might be a trend, might not be, you'd have to wait until the week is over and you're no longer the designated bard. And as a thing which I forgot to put down in the update, you do get tips from playing so you are earning money. There weren't a lot of customers there (Mondays are never very lively) but you got a few coins that made up for at least a day or two of your total rent. You are playing, mostly, to keep a roof over your head and earn a little extra, as your coffers are big enough for you to afford food and lodging for a time but not much more.

Going back to the post you made from a previous update, I am surprised that you connected a tourist trap with high class. It makes sense in hindsight, but I didn't make that connection since in my town, our "tourist trap" hotels are a block away from an adult store, a liquor shop, and a nightclub. Not obvious ones, but if you were to peek into the windows of the commercial center next to them you'd figure it out real fast. Just because something seems fancy and nice doesn't mean it isn't infected to the core with corruption. And hey, that's one of the themes of this story.

Your point about pricing was accurate though. I'd love to give you all exact numbers so that you could see relative values, but as I'm still fixing the kinks and editing coinage values to reflect a mix between "true value" money (the "bronze, silver, gold" trope) and a "representative value" system (using common metals to manufacture coins that symbolize certain monetary values despite not actually being worth that much). Suffice to say that I made edits to the monetary system in response.

If anyone has further story concerns, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be near a computer most of the day and should be able to answer questions that don't require me spoilerizing anything that should be addressed in-story.

Last edited:
Pulling Back The Curtain A Little Too Far
FADE IN:​
INT. SURVEILLANCE ROOM - NIGHT

Screens. Dozens of them, images floating in empty space. They fill the room, flickering from picture to picture, shifting between a dozen or so faces before stopping on one in particular.

On screen appears DEN, 21, dressed in a green jacket and red scarf. He has an average build, slightly taller than average, and wears a bone-claw NECKLACE. On his back is a worn MANDOLIN, and on his hip is a strange black device with multiple latches. He reads from a heavy TOME in a back corner of a tavern.

J.R. (O.S.)
Sir, we've found one.
Sitting on the floor, lit only by the myriad images around him is J.R., 20s, thin and wearing glasses. He twitches his head and the picture of Den expands, all others fading out of existence.

Behind the "hacker" appears FINLEY O.Z., 30, dressed in black military regalia and cloak. He squints.

FINLEY
Must you really keep it so dark in here?
He pulls a stone out of his jacket. It's clear crystal with a claw much like Den's inside.

FINLEY
Kindle.
The claw catches fire within the stone, casting a flickering glow across the room. It burns but is not consumed. J.R. squints in the increased light.

FINLEY
Alright, what's his story.
J.R. twitches again, creating more images with Den in various places such as taverns, libraries, and on the road.

J.R.
Twenty-one years of age, goes by the name of Den.
Little known of his origin, but he claims to come from
Hafenport, out east.

FINLEY
He's from the Fifth Empire?

J.R.
So he claims. No official records or paper trail until a
year ago, when he registered in Zoroaster as a mage.

FINLEY
A fake name, then. Out of curiosity, what School did
he specialize in?

J.R.
(beat)
Harmonic.

FINLEY
(flatly)
So he's a bard.

J.R.
Correct. Does this information bring back any
memories, Mr. Oz?

FINLEY
Correlation does not equal causation, J.R. My
situation was... unique. Give me more to work
with, here.

J.R.
Of course, sir.
The images move around, showing a live view of Den as he clasps the TOME to the black device on his hip, which latches to the book and holds it tight. Pictures of Den on the steps to a giant library and amongst ancient ruins are shown.

J.R.
After studying for some time in Zoroaster, where he got
that Tome he carries, Den traveled east to the Nomad
Ruins. This is presumably to look into Demonic Magic,
as he left the place with the Demon's Necklace he
currently wears.

FINLEY
So, he's looking for something. Some kind of magic, but
what for?​

Images of ANNA, 20, an average-height, blue-haired woman dressed in religious attire appear. A few images of Den and her interacting in a clinic of some sort are seen.

J.R.
When he appeared in Zak at the Temple City, he
partook in some sort of ritual which affected him deeply.
Afterward, this woman was seen taking care of him. He
revealed to her that he seeks some kind of magic to
return him to Hafenport.
Finley looks momentarily alarmed, before schooling his expression.

FINLEY
Return by magic? You were right to bring this to my
attention. Tell me, what do we know of the girl?

J.R.
She told Den that her name is Anna. Beyond that,
we have no record of her. She is no one of import
and seems to spend all of her time in that Church
of theirs, which we do not monitor regularly.

FINLEY
I've never been there myself, but even when
I lived in Zoroaster I'd heard of the Temple
Synagogue. It would be wise of you to keep an
eye on it. The girl, too. She is connected to him,
somehow. If he truly desires to become a Traveler
and return to the Fifth Empire, we must be ready
for him.

J.R.
Yes, sir.
The images collapse, and the room goes dark except for the light from the stone in Finley's hand. For a moment the flame grows brighter, filling the crystal with hellfire that strains against the rocky confines of its prison. It crackles for a moment with black lightning, seeming to siphon the darkness of the room into itself...

FINLEY
Extinguish.
The flame abruptly flickers out. There is DARKNESS, the tapping of FOOTSTEPS, and then LIGHT from a doorway as Finley exits the room, leaving J.R. alone.

A single screen appears before him, revealing a feed of Den finishing his breakfast. Besides it, another image appears, this one of scrawling white text against a black background. There are dozens of small pictures aligned along the left side within this greater image, one of a demon trapped in a strange-multisided prism, and another of some sort of carapaced creature.

A keyboard appears before J.R. and he types away. When he is done, he hits a button and the keys disappear. Suddenly, the image before him alters, and a new line of text appears at the bottom:
JACOB RICKSHAW
Votes, people.​

Last edited:
In light of the ending to that lovely little tale, I'm going to call it and say no official update tonight, which is fine. I'm totally okay waiting another day to get a few more votes and a definitive result, (plus it's an earlier bed-time for me, yay!) but I have a self-imposed rule to write something every night. I'll probably do little gag pieces like this, or other omake, or even a little historical piece about some part of the world related to the current setting. That way I can keep practicing writing and you guys get content without me jumping the gun on votes. Everybody wins! Maybe. If I don't spend more time writing the omake than the actual updates
But yeah, normal update tomorrow, and a heads up for this following week where I will be traveling to visit family and might not be able to update at the same times/frequency. We'll see how it is when it happens, but thought I'd warn people in advance.

Act I - 9. What It Means to Be Cursed
Three total votes. Majority of 2. Good enough for now.

[x] Investigate the Taint
-[x] Guards

Day 2
Midday

The sun had crested the walls of Temple City some time ago. The blazing flame in the sky coats the streets with a layer of warmth otherwise impossible this far north. You appreciate the small reprieve from the chill as you make your way towards the wall, hopefully where some of Temple City's finest can give you the information you need.

The Taint, as far as you know, is some affliction. People with one can cast Spiritual Magic, but not everyone who can cast Spiritual Magic has one. You assume it's some form of corruption, and the city has a sort of quarantine upon those infected to prevent its spread and manage its severity. Yet, the city has to manage that with being the center of study for Spiritual Magic, which attracts residents and foreigners alike who seek its secrets. Some, like you, might have a Taint, but not all of them. You're not certain how you got one in the first place, but you doubt it was while you were in Zak. Their rules against interacting with Tainted hint that it needs to spread to you first, and you barely interacted with anyone your first night here.
s h e g a v e i t t o y o u
Well, besides the Crown Princess of Zoroaster and her Knight. You doubt they gave it to you, but it's possible. It might be like some diseases you knew, dormant until some stimulus activated them. Some signal that activates that desire to consume.
s h e d i r t i e d y o u
Whatever it was, the City had stringent rules which applied to the Tainted, and it was in your best interest to understand them. It was this logic which had you moving towards the guards stationed at the gate. At your approach, they seem to straighten and their stances shift. All but one moves a hand to rest on a weapon of some sort, not obviously hostile but ready to act in a moment. The one who kept his hands free approaches you, the Synagogue's bright symbol emblazoned on his chest. He wore a metal brimmed hat that doubled as armor and shade.

"Is there something you need, citizen?" His calm expression seems forced.

You nod. "Yeah, I got my Screening done yesterday and, well-"

"A Screening is never wrong," The soldier interrupts you, looking far more serious. "So if you are about to ask me to open the gates for you, you will have to remove your shirt, and if you are found to harbor a Seal then I will have to arrest you for an attempted containment penetration. You will be brought before the Temple Court and they shall judge and punish you."

You blink. "Um, what? People actually tried that?"

He nods. "Yesterday, a Tainted attempted to leave the city, disguised as a foreign merchant. He was unsuccessful."

You swallow. Well, that's not ominous. "I'm just here to ask about the laws regarding Tainted." You motion to yourself. "I came from Zoroaster day before last, looking to study Magic. I have no intention of leaving before I learn all I can."

The guard shakes his head in approval. He turns to the others behind him. "At ease," he calls. They all seem to relax, though you notice none of them take their hands from their weapons. He faces you again. "Tainted only have a few, simple legalities they must adhere to. The first is the most obvious, a Tainted is prohibited from leaving the city under any circumstance. Until the High Priest declares them Clean again, they must remain in Temple City."

"So, a Taint can be removed?" That surprised you more than it should have. If it truly was like a disease, that made sense.

The guard shakes his hand in a so-so gesture. "Hypothetically, yes. Historically, no. Most Tainted have chosen to remain in Temple City for one reason or another and eventually cut off contact with the Synagogue. As such, the High Priest has not declared anyone Cleaned so far in our history. I would highly suggest you remain in touch with the Synagogue if you decide you wish to leave."

Well, that's discouraging.

"The second rule is that Tainted cannot share living quarters with the Clean. This discourages the Taint from spreading. Inn's usually have separate rooms for Tainted because of this. And while it's not a legal mandate, Tainted are advised to distance themselves from Clean citizens in general. If that's not possible, it's suggested that Tainted make their status known, so citizens are aware and approach at their own risk. These aren't laws, but it seems to keep the spread of the Taint in check, and so it's heavily encouraged.

So the segregation is not entirely mandated, just enabled by the system. You have a feeling you've heard of something like this before, but the specific example escapes your memory.

"Finally, the third law is that Tainted must receive special approval for the study and practice of Spiritual Magic, as certain rituals will exacerbate the Taint. Obviously, it's suggested that any practice which affects the Taint be avoided, but most of them are rituals involved in Spiritual Magic and are therefore the Synagogue's prerogative to inform Tainted of." The soldier frowns. "Speaking of, if you were marked as Tainted, why were you not already briefed on this information?"

You chuckle nervously. "The Maiden in charge of letting me know was busy and only gave the basics to me. Speaking of which, she mentioned that Seal renewals were a requirement for Tainted."

The guard shakes his head. "If the Synagogue claims such, they haven't made it into law yet. I expect it wouldn't take long for that to change, especially since it makes sense to keep the Taints in check." He looks to the sky for a moment. You track his gaze to see the sun blazing directly above you. "I believe that's all I can answer on that front. Is there anything else you need?"

You've still got a few hours left in the block. Anything you want to do in particular?

[] Keep talking to the Guard (Write-in)

[] Explore the City
-[] Choose a direction

[] Investigate the Taint
-[] Synagogue
-[] Locals

[] Other (Write-in)

Hrrm. Me thinks that holy maiden got fed some misinformation by somebody, assuming the gaurd there is properly informed...

Whatever it was, the City had stringent rules which applied to the Tainted, and it was in your best interest to understand them.
Not very stringent, as it would seem.

The Taint continues to baffle me. There are some parts that made it sound grave as if it were some spiritual leprosy, like the renewal requirements, the segregation, and movement restriction. On the other hand, segregation is not enforced and no measures are taken to identify a Tainted on sight (and the innkeeper offers to cover it up and suggests simply not mentioning it!), so the possibility of contamination doesn't seem like a city-wide problem. More like syphilis than plague, i.e. more of a problem for the one who has it.

That they give the duty of informing newly identified Taints to young acolytes instead of experienced priests who would hand the clear list of dos and don'ts also doesn't paint the Church as taking it too seriously - more like an unpleasant chore to be pushed on someone lower on the totem pole.

The soldier frowns. "Speaking of, if you were marked as Tainted, why were you not already briefed on this information?"
Speaking of, the Synagogue doesn't seem to have any other Tainted. People don't seem to want them around, and prefer not to talk to them much. Does it mean that for the last several years the duty to inform new Taints fell on Anna, who would then misinform them about the basic facts of their condition? It'd seem that she'd be corrected the moment the first returnee showed up - and wouldn't she question it if they never did? No, it looks like Den was the first one she really talked to.

Are the Tainted rare? Probably not that rare, considering they are one of the subgroups the city attracts, the guards who seem to be constantly on the lookout (with fresh tales of failed escapes), the entire segregation policies, and the legislation to have separate rooms in the inns. Then I wonder why Anna's path never crossed with the Screened before.

Or is it just story magic in action, and it never happened before because the story didn't start by then? :p

[x] Explore the City
-[x] Roll 1d4 for direction

What do we want to know about the Taint from the locals? I can't imagine them to be very eager to talk to someone they perceive as having a contagious desease, and would be less knowledgeable (and possibly less chill) about it than the priests. I think we know enough to get the basic jist of it, and the rest we'll learn on our second visit for the 'weekly Purification'.

Last edited:
The Taint continues to baffle me. *And other good questions*
"Spiritual Leprosy" is a great analogy for how the ancient texts treat it. HOWEVER, the Current Head of the Synagogue, Mister Doctor Professor Absalom, Sir, had a certain... experience watching the aftermath of someone becoming a Taint and is a little kinder in response. For the last ten years, he's been working to limit overzealous legal restrictions while also balancing what he thinks is a need for them while he studies what they are beyond a trait that terrible people share. Segregation isn't enforced because he figured out how it spreads and realized general segregation wouldn't actually do anything to prevent it, though he has a hard time fighting against centuries of cultural bias. He compromised on separate living quarters (which would actually deter its spread) but he's not an all-powerful dictator who could fix it overnight (or, he legally is, but he tries not to treat the position like it. If he makes too much change, the city may very well riot and start a witch-burning).

Father Absalom is the usual greeter for newly Tainted and attempts to explain, nicely, that the laws they have to follow are old and are still being worked on to reflect new developments in the Taint's study, but they may be treated poorly despite new freedoms. Anna, whose personal experience is not with the legislation but with how people have treated her, has obviously different views on what the Tainted have to deal with. She informed you because Plot (not PLOT, though she sure tried) and because Father was scrambling to find a logical reason for why a random guy was able to physically manifest something like blood from a magical pocket-realm like a Purification Chamber.

Are the Tainted rare?
Yes and no. It'd take you a while to find someone else with a Seal, but there are a lot of people who fit the bill that the Synagogue have not discovered. You have easy access to two of them, one for each PC. Though, the split of people who potentially have a Taint to those who are genuinely clean is something like 30/70. Welcome to a conservative society that literally runs itself on the idea that spiritual purity defines your class. Change is underway, but who knows how it'll turn out. Good thing societal upheaval of bigotry and discrimination is something that changes quickly and relatively peacefully. We totally don't have prejudices from over a century ago still affecting today's society.

I think that's about everything. If I missed something let me know and don't be afraid to throw further questions my way. Sometimes I think I answered everything when all I did was make it more complex. That's the issue with taking a small portion of a world and bringing other people into it without that greater context, but if I waited until I'd established the greater context this Quest wouldn't have ever started.

Mister Doctor Professor Absalom, Sir, had a certain... experience watching the aftermath of someone becoming a Taint and is a little kinder in response. For the last ten years, he's been working to limit overzealous legal restrictions while also balancing what he thinks is a need for them while he studies what they are beyond a trait that terrible people share.
Hmm, now I'm curious if it's a mere coincidence that we first saw Anna ten years ago.
Though, the split of people who potentially have a Taint to those who are genuinely clean is something like 30/70. Welcome to a conservative society that literally runs itself on the idea that spiritual purity defines your class.
Huh, I was thinking they are more like 3% than 30% (and I would still consider them 'not that rare' with those numbers - for a city of a few thousands people there'd be a hundred Taints or so). Also, an interesting choice of words. 'Potentially'? I wonder if it means 'people who can catch the Taint' (meaning the 'genuinely clean' can't get affected at all), or 'people who have a Taint but don't visibly manifest it' (meaning the Taint can be 'dormant'), or something else entirely. No, don't answer that, I think it's something best found in-character.

Also, don't think spiritual purity means much as far as classes go, as long as you aren't diagnosed with a Taint. Those nuns in the Synagogue, however 'pure' they may be, don't seem to have a lot of fun in their lives.

I wonder if the Church is a universal polity. I don't understand the limitations they impose on the Tainted otherwise, if it is just a local custom. I mean, the Tainted are already out there behind the city walls (since they come into the city already affected), so what are they trying to achieve by holding people inside against their will? Would it not make more sense to impose strict rules inside the city, and throw everyone who doesn't play ball out?

I guess it makes sense for those who studied their magic - they may be afraid of it being used to unsavory purposes - but I get the feeling not all of the Tainted are necessarily mages.

Unless there is some other reason they try to keep people inside. The guard's words that people eventually stop trying to leave are pretty interesting in that regard.

Last edited:
*Postulates beautifully*
I've played ball enough with you guys to be content with pulling back and let you theory-craft. Only posting to say that these are the questions I was hoping to inspire at this point in the story (which is why I answered so many before, you needed more info to ask them).

Also, to put in an A.N. that this upcoming week I'll be traveling, so I might be altering the update schedule. I'll have a (somewhat) definitive plan on Sunday, but worst comes to worst I'll drop a few omakes and use the time to complete the interludes ahead of schedule.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Church is a universal polity. I don't understand the limitations they impose on the Tainted otherwise, if it is just a local custom. I mean, the Tainted are already out there behind the city walls (since they come into the city already affected), so what are they trying to achieve by holding people inside against their will? Would it not make more sense to impose strict rules inside the city, and throw everyone who doesn't play ball out?
Gonna preface this by saying I'm not actually first-hand familiar with the Persona Series. Second-hand hearing about it yes, but haven't touched it myself.
However...
My understanding of it says that 'Taints' are basically inner-demons, given the way the author responded to an earlier post of mine. Now, a thing of the Persona series that I THINK is a thing, even if I don't fully get the 'how does it work' bit is that Personas are summonable entites, and said entites can most definitely run wild and cause problems independant of the people that they spawn from, if they don't learn to control the power.
This, crossed with the idea of Taint as STD judging by the 'how do they spread' thing, suggests two reasons for quarantine.
  1. Is to prevent Taint Newbs from having a tantrum that slaughters a city and then goes out to roam the countryside and become a World Boss or something like that.
  2. That if some malicious Taint wielder who most certainly KNOWS what they're doing shows up and decides to start eating people for power, they'll only get so far before having to punch through a serious military force, one prepared to deal with their tricks, and knows to get the word out if some dude with an Armageddon of a Taint who likes rolling towns shows up.

Back