I thought she was like a patient in a hospital that assists the staff in exchange for regular treatment. I was not aware she should have qualifications for it; rather, I thought being a Taint that caught Father Absalom's attention was her qualification. I mean, he couldn't have thrown her out in the streets after she lost her home and family, now could he?
I imagine that not having a Taint would in fact be the basic qualification. Anna not going berserk her whole time here is how she is a maiden anyway.

I imagine that not having a Taint would in fact be the basic qualification. Anna not going berserk her whole time here is how she is a maiden anyway.
I think we are talking about the same thing when you come down to the basics.

She got picked up by Father Absalom who decided that he needs to change the public perception of the Taints. Anna needs weekly procedures to keep her soul clean, and has nothing left outside the island, so living within the Church is the ideal arrangement for her. She could do so as a "head priest's pet project", or as someone who works here like everybody else. Hence they made her a Maiden.

Last edited:
(Actually, I think it might have ended when they incapacitated Anna, - which would be an important distinction to make if we wanted to understand the internal logic behind the bond - but I am not sure)

First, fishing for answers is bad and you should feel bad because now I'm tempted to just drop the bombs on you and see how you fair. However, I will restrain myself. That being said, I feel alright giving you another inch, even if you'll take a mile:

This directly contradicts what Lo-Ru stated. Not saying it's outright wrong, just that this is something she'd literally never consider because it should be impossible. Like how mass shouldn't be a form of energy or hair shouldn't naturally be blue. Or maybe she just forgot that a Bonding Ritual isn't completed until it's Sealed by a Priest

...huh. I kinda thought that she is working off her debt to the Church. As in, the Church provided shelter, food and education for her, and it was in turn expected that she'd be fulfilling the duties of a Holy Maiden.

Shard makes an accurate assumption so he gets an Insightful.

Also, Nevill, you're totally right. Absalom's attention is her only qualification. He's breaking ancient and time-honored rules for her because he thinks exceptions can exist (and as you later said, public opinion). Especially since nobody has ever told a Tainted that they don't have to succumb until he told Anna that. Her training as a Maiden is his attempt at a cure/exception, because the Maidens have strict, conservative policies he thinks would counteract the Taint (essentially the "fight the curse" idea Den read in the Tome). She is an experiment, and the moment she fails she will prove that exceptions do not, in fact, exist.

Absalom is not all-powerful. Like the Persian kings, he is bound to the law of the nation's founders. He may bend the rules, but in the end he must honor them. He wouldn't throw her out to the wolves, but he would have to admit she is unworthy of being a Maiden and be forced to release her from the Synagogue.

I don't understand it. Accept/Reject are actions in regards to the offer being made.
The "How serious is she?" is a question that doesn't clarify our stance in the slightest... :eyebrow:

Fair. Nobody has to change their votes, but I'll be renaming it to reflect that it's a direct call of her bluff instead of just an internal question.

Okay, the picture drew me in. The girl looks like Index from Toaru.

The picture in the character sheet is unashamedly stolen Index fanart. I can't wait until the official art for her is done, though, because it should give her a unique design and you'll see some of the more interesting details. And if I'm lucky everyone will get official art!

Last edited:
Drawn in by the ad, stayed for bloody two and a half hours of binge.
[X] Something doesn't add up. How serious is she, really? Call her bluff (Spirit LV 3)
Worth it!

Also, found an uncolored instance of seven in the chapter with Anna's purification (Absurd amounts of slut-shaming)

Namely, Seventy should be in all seven colors of the rainbow.

[x] Something doesn't add up. How serious is she, really? Call her bluff (Spirit LV 3)

Also new! And followed.

...I think Anna's reply here is going to be heavily flavored by a part of her character we haven't seen yet, namely: how vengeful is she?

Agree with the idea that usually, one would not give the time of day to a long term bully w torture magic. However, Anna is remembering a lot more about the prologue, where another little girl who looked a lot like her was left behind to die and never ever mentioned again. So I'm thinking she's going to be more open-minded about second chances now, but moreso, curious about why the girl who just had two of her friends brutally murdered in from of her eyes by a tainted that went beserk would approach the other tainted involved. Who she has been, apparently, goading for years. And who she knows very viscerally *could* kill her.

I don't understand what is driving desperation rather than grief, and I want to.

I want to understand why the demon viewpoints show everyone else as grotesque monsters, and what that means for the initial visions Den had in his purification.

I want to know what other spells Anna knows. I want to know who kills Absolom, and why they used the apparently secret and lethal spell one of the dead maidens used. I want to know what connection the world Den came from has to the current one, and why there was the casual reference to the "fifth empire" and who the hell the third band member was.

So many questions! Nice writing. :)

Act I - 33. Cards on the Tab[L]e
Day 4
Morning

You shift your gaze toward your hands. They're shaking, you observe. They're shaking, just because of a few words. Your eyes shut and you exhale a shaky breath. Am I really this afraid?

Something brushes the edge of your hearing, beneath the quiet din of the room. It is small, barely noticeable to the ear, but it calms you. An unfamiliar tune, accompanied by a familiar calm. You breathe again, deeper, steadier.

In.

Out.

There, better.

"Anna-"

"I'm thinking." You cut her off, eyes remain shut. One hand still shakes. The one Lo-Ru's holding. Thin, calloused fingers that tremble against your skin.

"You won't do it," you whisper with dawning realization. "You can't do it."

Her grip slackens, surprised at your accusation.

Normally, she would have no problem twisting the truth to her whim to ruin you. Yet, this approach makes no sense. Her casual greeting, her immediate demand for help, the sloppy argument, it was unlike her. It was too sudden, too poorly cobbled together. It only made sense if you were too pressured to think for more than a second.

Your eyes slide open, smokey irises to meet wide emeralds. "Of c-course I c-can," she argues, roughly torn and chewed nails digging into your wrist.

"You can't do it," you ignore her, still working through the revelation. "You can't touch me, this time. You won't… Why won't you?"

She shifts, eyes fixating on her plate. "Look, I-I really need your h-help with this s-so…" she shakes her head. "Forg-get it. Threat rescinded. Anna, I-I'll owe you big time if you c-can help, so j-just promise me-"

"Lo-Ru," you stop her, relief filling you with confidence and pushing you onward. "I'm not promising anything until you tell me what, exactly, your favor entails."

She searches your face with tired, desperate eyes. Whatever she finds, it inspires nothing more than a furrowed brow and heavy sigh. "N-not here." Her fingers slide off you and motion towards the door as she stands. Your wrist aches as you follow, slipping between heavy wooden tables as you exit the grand space.

You spare a glance towards Yad-Caph's table as you leave. She stares directly at you, eyes unfocused but pointed. Even from this distance, you see the worry carved into her expression. The Sister beside her doesn't even register the girl's shifted attention, still pulling egg from her hair.

Are you okay? Her milky eyes ask.

You keep walking, trailing steps behind Lo-Ru as you exit the dining hall.

-:-:-;-:-:-​

"Why Dalet?" you lean on a glass case, eyeing the strange artifacts within. Their conical, glossy forms remind you of shells made of pure gemstone, glittering with an iridescent hue. Even through the barrier, you can feel the magic radiating off of them.

Lo-Ru rests against a bookshelf full of tomes across the display. The odd characters scrawled across their spines are that same alphabet from before, in the Purification Crystal and the Labyrinth. Old Tongue.

"It's the library I used to work in, with Pris and D-Deborah." She speaks slowly, taking time to carefully form each word that passes her lips. "It's usually empty because of the magic radiation: it makes people who aren't used to it feel sick."

"Ah," you step away from the magic conchs.

Lo-Ru rolls her eyes as she continues. "We should be safe to talk here, as long as we speak softly."

You wait for her to continue, glancing at the magic items locked up in various exhibits throughout the room. As the silence stretches on, you note a particularly interesting piece on the far wall. Is that…? No, it can't be.

"Uh, right, so," you articulate, "what was that favor you needed?"

The ravenette weaves her hair between bandaged fingers in the corner of your eye. "Y-yeah, about that." She takes a deep breath. "I need you to bring me into the Labyrinth."

Your head whips towards her. "I'm sorry, what?"

"The Labyrinth. You. Take me. There's something in there I need to see."

"Forgetting for the moment why you think I'd be of any help at all down there, you're telling me that you willingly want to head into the restricted extra-dimensional maze?"

"You went down there already, right? After the Incident?"

"Well, yeah, but… wait, how would you even know that-"

"You don't think the Incident is the only rumor going around? Anna, you disappeared for hours and came back via the city bridge. No matter what people may have guessed, the only sensible explanation for that kind of travel is getting lost in the Labyrinth."

"Yeah, 'lost' being the keyword. You think I have any idea how to navigate that shit?"

"But you have some familiarity with it, more than can be said for anyone else here in the Synagogue."

"Lo-Ru, I know we haven't really gotten along for the past nine years, but believe me when I say it's in your best interest to consider that you've got to be a certifiable lunatic if you think that'll be of any help down there. It's all twists and turns and folds and shit and the layout can change just depending on which way you face, not to mention how time just doesn't work the same down there. Why don't you ask someone who actually knows something, like Father or your brother for he-"

"NO!" She snaps, "I… ugh! I'm not doing this for fun, you know? Something's going on and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. The Fathers, I can't go to them at all for this. They can't know we're doing anything. Especially my brother. This has to be between just you and me."

That forces a pause. "Lo-Ru," you say, carefully, "what the hell are you dragging me into?"

The ravenette flicks her fingers down, tossing her hair out to one side. It fans out, soft strands of ebony reaching out before gently falling behind her to reveal a thick tome in her hands. Across its cover scrawls the Old Tongue, a familiar pattern engraved into its face:

כִּשׁוּף לֵב טָהוֹר

"I wanted to know why," she says, setting the book onto the glass case. "Why the Tainted could hide so well. Why ten years ago they were supposedly obvious, yet now anyone who didn't know the truth would mistake you for a normal human."

You bristle at that. "And, what, you found a book that pointed to the Labyrinth and said 'here be answers?'"

"You know, I already miss when I was the bitch and you didn't ask questions," jade orbs glare at you.

You shrug, a smug warmth suffusing you as she grumbles.

"Anyways," she continues, "what I found in that search was this history book. It was pure luck I came across it. Old Tongue works aren't supposed to be in the main library, but it somehow wound up in my stack. Look, here," she sifts through the pages, landing barely a quarter way through its text. "It describes this group of people called the Tame'. These, 'taw-may,' literally 'the Defiled,' are something like the precursors to the Tainted. But the important thing," she points to a random line on the parchment, "is this bit here.

"'After the Demon Throne's defeat did the first sightings of the Defiled occur. Seen mostly among bandits, they were grotesque creatures, partly-Man, partly-Demon. They attacked the scholars who studied the Throne and who would later found Temple City. Some Defiled were also discovered among raid survivors, changing after a few days in the City, then only a camp-town. Strangely, this phenomena seemed isolated to Zak, and remains that way up to the time of this writing.'" Viridian orbs shift towards you, searching your face.

"Okay," you start, "since when can you read Old Tongue? I thought only the top of the Order could learn that stuff."

"Two words: family politics," she swipes her hand through the air, brushing off your question as if that explained it, "And I'm just barely conversational, but that's not important. Did you catch the odd part in there?"

You think over what she said. "Well, I've definitely never heard of any Demon Throne before."

"And yet, this text implies it was some sort of big deal, that Taints didn't even exist until it was destroyed. Plus," Lo-Ru pokes a word a few times, "it goes further to state Temple City started as a research station dedicated to studying it."

Your brow furrows tight. "Hold up, wasn't the City built as a sanctuary to study Spiritual Magic? With a major focus on figuring out the Taint?"

"Not according to this," the ravenette closes the tome with a light thud. "The settlers apparently were unaware of the Taint's existence until they'd already formed a community large enough to attract raiders. How they got the Taint is a mystery, but even so, this contradicts a so much of what the Order has taught us."

"Are you trying to tell me that there's some sort of conspiracy going on?"

"I'm saying that this book makes everything highly suspect." She pulls the book back, placing it in an empty spot on the shelf behind her.

You stand there for a moment, mulling over it all. The City, the Taint, the Order, is none of what you've been taught true? It's just one book, and it's entirely possible Lo-Ru mistranslated it. But even then, you've known there's more to the mark on your chest than what you've been told. Maybe this little hint, this Throne, could point you in the right direction?

"How does any of this relate to the Labyrinth?" You break the silence with a question, trying to tie the disparate pieces together. "What makes you think you'll figure out anything more by going down that foxhole?"

The woman sighs. Her shoulders droop for a moment, tired. "I think," she starts, still facing the shelf, "maybe, just maybe, that if that Throne still exists somewhere, it'd have to be kept somewhere incredibly secret and ridiculously safe. And the only reasonable place I can think of that matches that criteria is the eldritch network right beneath our feet." She turns, face schooled flat. "I can't trust anyone high in the Synagogue with this, if I'm right then they're probably perpetuating the masquerade anyways. The other Maidens wouldn't believe me, or more likely would refuse to delve into a restricted area and rat me out. You're the only one to jump into the deep and come back. Like it or not if I want to find the truth, you're all I've got."

You turn away. "How do I know this isn't just an excuse for you to get some sort of revenge on me? That you won't do something while we're down there?"

"Oh, trust me, the thought has crossed my mind," She chuckles nervously as she says it. "But it's not worth it. I'd probably get lost down there without you, a-and I already promised D-den I'd keep my hands off you." She swallows, shaky. "T-trust me, you'll be fine."

Your eyes don't meet hers, finding themselves drawn instead towards the far wall. Lo-Ru had said something to that effect during the Incident, hadn't she? You would have thought she was just saying whatever she thought would save her skin. Maybe it had more of an effect than you realized.
Maybe she was afraid he'd finish the job if she broke her word.
Shuffling feet draws your attention to the ravenette, who moves towards one of the artifacts. It's the one that caught your eye before, a simple turquoise gem hooked to a golden chain. Colors swirl in its center, twisting lazily about. Its display is isolated from the others, sat out of immediate attention against the furthest wall from the entrance.

"Do you remember, ten years ago?" the other woman asks, staring at the necklace.

There's only one memory she could be referring too. "Of course I do, how could I forget?"

"Incident Number One," she says, almost wistfully. "You know I'd never gotten in trouble for anything before that?"

"I find that incredibly unbelievable. You've been on Naomi's bad side for almost as long as I have."

"It's true," she traces a finger against the glass. "I was little-miss-perfect up until I came here. Never talked back, never argued, never got in fights or disobeyed anyone. Then some silly little girl with blue hair came along, and drew some personality out of me." She snickers. "Father said you corrupted me, but Loammi said he liked me better with a little rebellious spirit."

You chuckle. "Bet he changed his mind after he found out what we were up to."

"He couldn't decide whether to be proud or furious." A laugh escapes the ravenette's lips. A rich, genuine laugh, not the cackling sound you're used to hearing. "To think, such a pretty little trinket was such a terrifying artifact."

You walk up beside her, gazing at the elegant, deadly jewelry. "It didn't feel very dangerous at all. It just felt… warm, I guess." The details came easy, despite how long it'd been. You still recall that comfortable weight against your chest and the gentle glow that seemed to radiate into your body. How the colors seemed to dance when you wore it, all those years ago. Would it still dance, if you wore it now?

"I hate to admit it, but it looked beautiful on you," you look at the other Maiden with surprise. "It was almost like it was made just for you. Or that you were born to wear it." She shrugs. "Maybe it's just the way Angelic artifacts are." She catches you staring. "What?"

You look back at the artifact, still a little stunned. "I just didn't expect you of all people to compliment me, is all."

"I said the necklace was beautiful, not you. Don't go twisting my words on me."

"Bitch."

"Stain."

You both huff your annoyance. Even so, you can't help the creeping tug of your lips upward. It's been a long time since you've been able to just talk to someone like this. You miss it, a little. Even if it is with a bitch like Lo-Ru.

"We had some crazy adventures back then," you note.

She nods. "We sure did." A silence falls between you after that, not awkward or comfortable, simply there.

"It's been a long time since then," she begins, speaking slow and deliberate. "Nine years and some change. We've both grown. We've both changed. I'm not going to ask for things to go back to the way they were. I'm not going to ask you to forgive me for all the shit I did, nor just forget it so we can work together. Any excuse I give in that vein is probably too selfish to accept anyways."

She sighs, going from a young adult to almost twice her age in an instant. You can see the bags under her eyes from the sleepless nights, the faint stains of tears that she tried to rub away before anybody saw, even that slight shake from earlier remains. In your professional opinion, she looks like shit.

"All I ask is that you help me with this one thing," she continues, voice devoid of the earlier nostalgia. "You help me find the Demon Throne inside the Labyrinth, and you'll never have to see me again. I'll investigate the rest on my own, and you won't have to deal with me anymore. No more abuse, no more predation, no more talks or favors from nowhere, nothing. You help me with this, and we're done. For good, if you want."

She closes her eyes, taking in another deep breath. "So, Anna, what'll it be. You in? Or out?"

[] Ask More Questions / Alter Deal (Please write-in)

[] "I'm In."

[] "I'm out."

EDIT: Welcome Newbies! Glad you could join us. There's popcorn on the table as well as a complimentary bucket of flame retardant, courtesy of the Anna Disaster Prevention Committee. This is a precautionary measure; crashing, burning, flaming, weeping, gnashing, shipping, raging, and arguing are not expected but may yet occur anyways. Please enjoy the show.

Last edited:
[X] "On one condition...
-[X] ... Den comes with us, he's better at this than me, somehow."

Her grip slackens, surprised at your accusation, but find you believe it.
I think something got lost in the editing, as the sentence makes no sense.
"Yeah, 'lost' being the keyword. You think I have any idea how to navigate that shit?"
Suddenly, Anna is a pottymouth. Tsk-tsk, not very Holy Maiden of you. :rolleyes:
"Are you trying to tell me that there's some sort of conspiracy going on?"
[...]
You stand there for a moment, mulling over it all. The City, the Taint, the Order, is none of what you've been taught true?
Anna, you've been to the center of the Labyrinth, you've seen Astaroth, and you do remember the story of the Demon King, and how the chamber was found. You know for a fact something is up and that it doesn't align with the official teachings. The update is even called "An Unexpected History Lesson"! Don't act surprised for the audience's sake, you are fooling no one. :whistle:

...I think this is something Lo-Ru might be interested in hearing, actually. I was half-expecting Anna to comment on it.

Come to think of it, rereading the update...
I Am H eR e BecaU se NO me KillE d My B oD Y. I CanN ot LeaV E.

But TH ose T hR ee KE pt My M ind AL ivE.

This IS ThE Mem oR iaL I Mad eT heM, The Ch osE N, The Ro yaL, ThE UN borN.
I was on the plane at the time, so I said nothing, but who are "those three" supposed to be? The Princess and the Chosen are obvious, but the only one we've seen with them was Nome, and Astaroth clearly isn't talking about him. Who is the Unborn? Was the princess with a child? Or was the golden light - the one with which she banished the Demon King - another living presense?

I mean, Astaroth is the "soul of Magic", and apparently was a living thing before Nome put it to the sword, so maybe the magic of Purity also has a sentient being as its source?
"Forg-get it. Threat rescinded. Anna, I-I'll owe you big time if you c-can help, so j-just promise me-"
Well, that doesn't sound too bad...
You help me find the Demon Throne inside the Labyrinth, and you'll never have to see me again. I'll investigate the rest on my own, and you won't have to deal with me anymore. No more abuse, no more predation, no more talks or favors, nothing.
...provided you actually remember what you promise. Because "I'll owe you one" and "you'll never see me again" are somewhat at odds with each other. :whistle:

[] Ask More Questions / Alter Deal (Please write-in)
What does the current deal stand for? It's a little contradictory at the moment.

Why can't Lo-Ru turn to her brother? She said he especially can't know anything. He is one of the Fathers, but he is also family. Although she did mention family politics...

Maybe I should ask her, hmm.

Last edited:
[x] "...there's a lot of history between us. You spent years hurting me and laughing at me and smiling at my pain. So it's a bit hard to get past that just because you need my help now... Why do you care? I care because I'm tainted, but you aren't- you could walk away. You read old tongue because of 'family politics' and care a lot about hundred year old lies, why?"

Anna, you've been to the center of the Labyrinth, you've seen Astaroth, and you do remember the story of the Demon King, and how the chamber was found. You know for a fact something is up and that it doesn't align with the official teachings. The update is even called "An Unexpected History Lesson"! Don't act surprised for the audience's sake, you are fooling no one. :whistle:

...I think this is something Lo-Ru might be interested in hearing, actually. I was half-expecting Anna to comment on it.

In Anna's defense, official teachings on the Labyrinth are "it's big, it's weird, please don't go too far down we have no idea what you'll find it could be unicorns and happiness or Cthulhu." It and Astaroth are just kinda "oh hey guess I can go brag to Absalom that I figured it out." The Demon King and chamber discovery can be rationalized as "guess it's a high-level thing I was unaware of. It doesn't directly contradict any information I have, so it's something to ask about next I see Absalom."

Lo-Ru's stuff is "oh shit Absalom either lied to my face about why the Order exists or he's just as ignorant to this bit of history as I was." With the latter slowly growing into a desperate but vain hope on her part.

who are "those three" supposed to be?

The Unborn is exactly what it says on the tin. It was the third and, arguably, most important figure in keeping Astaroth alive. How else to rekindle a soul than with the spark of another? *Dark Souls intensifies*

Well, that doesn't sound too bad...

...provided you actually remember what you promise. Because "I'll owe you one" and "you'll never see me again" are a somewhat at odds with each other. :whistle:

She remembers. She simply thinks/hopes "I never want to see you again" will be Anna's favor. Because she can imagine a lot more painful/demeaning requests that Anna might make out of revenge and hopes suggesting this will push her to choose it.

Also, the line saying "no more favors" is in reference to Lo-Ru no longer asking any favors of Anna.

Why can't Lo-Ru turn to her brother? She said he especially can't know anything. He is one of the Fathers, but he is also family.

"I may be your brother, but the hierarchy cannot be ignored."
[...]
She would understand, there was a time to be a brother and a time to be a Father. It had always been that way.

He's, uh, not the kind of guy who puts family before duty. Lo-Ru knows and accepts that it's part of who he is. Which is precisely why she can't let him know, because she's certain he'd betray her in a heartbeat if it meant fulfilling his duty. Just as father taught him.

[X] "On one condition...
-[X] ... Den comes with us, he's better at this than me, somehow."

[x] "...there's a lot of history between us. You spent years hurting me and laughing at me and smiling at my pain. So it's a bit hard to get past that just because you need my help now... Why do you care? I care because I'm tainted, but you aren't- you could walk away. You read old tongue because of 'family politics' and care a lot about hundred year old lies, why?"

It's a good question. So what if she learns the truth? What is she going to do with it?

It's not idle musings, either. It is reasonable to suspect that the one wronged by a Tainted would seek some measure of protection from them.
"I wanted to know why," she says, setting the book onto the glass case. "Why the Tainted could hide so well. Why ten years ago they were supposedly obvious, yet now anyone who didn't know the truth would mistake you for a normal human."
There are quite a few ways to use this knowledge. And since she wants to hide it from the Fathers who are allegedly working on a cure, and whose policies towards the Tainted have been moving towards acceptance... one should be very wary of actions that are being kept secret from them, because it's indicative of contradicting some of their policies.

Her position is not helped by emphasizing the difference between Anna and a normal human. I don't think Lo-Ru is planning anything malicious, but it would be careless for Anna to dismiss this angle.

[x] "On one condition...
-[x] ... Den comes with us, he's better at this than me, somehow."

Last edited:
I just finished catching up. If the vote is not closed yet, here's mine.

Act I - 34. Doubt[S]
Not the least fun I've had with a chapter, but pretty close. Anna didn't sound like Anna the whole time, so it took a few tries before I got here. Even now, I feel like I messed up both their voices somehow, but I can't pin it down. Anyways, enjoy this chapter, and expect a faster turnaround next time.

Day 4
Morning

Cerulean lines shift and turn in the crystalline soul. Light bends and folds within, sketching the faintest glow of a halo around its form. In its isolated display, the Angelic artifact glints with ethereal beauty.

"I've got just one last question," you push out a breath. "I… before I commit to anything, I need to know why."

Lo-Ru sighs. "Damn it, Anna, you don't make this quick and easy, do you?"

"Not my fault I've got nine years of distrust to overcome, here." She shifts awkwardly beside you. "Nine years, Lo-Ru. You hurt me, manipulated me, and humiliated me. Did you really think that this little chat and nostalgia would be enough to push all that aside? That if you pulled the 'old buddies' act I'd come around and help you?"

"No, really I was expecting the threat to be more effective," she grumbles. "Let's face it, even when we were friends I was better at coercion than conversation. Pris and Deborah were flukes, in that regard." Her voice gains an edge of loathing at their names. "Negotiation is more Loammi's thing anyways. I just…" She leans into the bookshelf, her forehead resting against the spine of a green tome.

"The point I was making," you continue, once it becomes clear that she won't, "is why do you even care? I know why I do. This is my life, this is my reality. I have a Demon somewhere inside me and I would give anything to know why. I'd have gone to explore that Labyrinth even without your attempt at coercion as long as I thought it'd hold the smallest bit of an answer.

"But you? This isn't your fight. Or, at least not this side of it. You spent nine years tormenting me for a Taint I didn't ask to have, and then when one takes something from you, you suddenly need to investigate? You could just… walk away. The perfect excuse was right there. Proof you'd been right all along. Taints really were just monsters and you were justified in that prejudice. Instead, here you are, trying to reconcile with your victim so you can get to the bottom of a mystery that goes against everything you've done so far."

You sigh, shaking your head, "You read Old Tongue and investigate centuries-old texts, uncover these secrets and lies, for what? Why do you care?"

Light swirls lazily in the depths of the jewel in the ensuing quiet. Around and around it goes, the hypnotic dance doing an absolutely terrible job of keeping your attention from periodically drifting over to Lo-Ru, who remains studiously silent.

"You know," she says, at length, "you've done a greater job of convincing me against you with that argument than I have with two days of mulling." A scowl crosses her face, some of the old bitch in her crawling back. "I am acutely aware of how little you trust me, and how much I would rather not involve you in this, but the fact of the matter is that the only people I trust to watch my back in there are dead and I'm not going to a complete stranger for help with this or someone liable to immediately turn me over to those behind said conspiracy. I know you've got a stake in this, which is why I came to you, even if I only had the flimsiest of threats to hold over you."

"That doesn-" you start, only for the ravenette to cut you off.

"And I told you why before: Taints are practically sleepers, walking disasters liable to kill or destroy anyone at the drop of a properly-provoking hat. Monsters in human skin. And I would like very much to know what those triggers are, as I assumed you would as well. That is if you're still hoping for some sort of cure. It makes logical sense, then, that when I find the system I trust to protect me from such disasters not only fails to do so but also leaves evidence that it is lying to me about its purpose and history, I would want to investigate.

She sighs, "But even were the dubious nature of the system not a factor, I would be interested in this anyways, purely on the basis that any artifact related to the Taints may reveal how they work, especially one whose appearance coincides with theirs. And, as I said before, I would love to know how the Tainted tick so I can get the hell out of dodge when the signs start showing."

You blink, stunned. For once, she ranted without blatant insult at you. Subtle, implied barbs rather than direct attacks against your character. Besides the bit about monsters, but any offense you do feel about it is muted by its accuracy.

With barely any combat stress, Den lost control during the Incident. Yes, it was almost immediately after the link between you was forcefully broken, but by that logic, you should have turned as well. In fact, you were probably much more stressed than he was, and you remained fine. Whatever it is that provokes the change, it isn't as obvious as turning into a hulking beast when you get mad.

So, yeah. Monsters in human skin. With unknown triggers. Ones, apparently, not directly related to stress or emotional state like you'd expect.

God, you really are a sleeper. You're so excited to see what sort of nightmares your psyche will make out of that tonight.

Lo-Ru breaks your divination of potential nightmare scenarios with a low, indignant growl. "If you're so averse to working with me then fine, I'll head in alone and you and Den can come in after. I promise, either I'll be at the core of the Labyrinth long before you, or I'll be a corpse. Either way, this will be done and you can finally escape my 'evil clutches,' just like you always wanted."

For as logical a person as she tries to portray herself, she is swinging wildly, you note. One moment, she's trying to be nostalgic, and the second you question it she goes back to bitch-mode. You guess that, even with a few days of distance, her emotions are still raw from everything. That, or this is her default personality outside of the "lucid psychopath" persona she wears around you normally. An angry, spiteful woman who lashes out at anyone and everyone.

...wow, never thought you'd see the day where you'd feel pity at Lo-Ru's bitchiness. Today is just full of exciting new experiences for you and her.

"You will die," the warning slips past your lips without thought, "either you'll get lost or something will find you. You won't survive alone."

"And you care why? I believe you've made it quite clear how poorly my attempt to work with you has gone over. It seems your life would be made much better if I were dead, anyway."

"That's no-"

"-not what? 'Not what I meant?' Well then, tell me, what did you mean by nine years of hurt, manipulation, and humiliation? Weren't you saying that I'm the cause of your problems? Or maybe you meant the part where you ridiculed me for trying to reconnect with you in some small way? Because I'm certain I didn't misinterpret the obvious distrust nor the implication that it means nothing to you. So then, if you didn't mean 'I hate you and I'd be happier were you dead,' then please tell me what the fuck you were really trying to say."

You grind your teeth together, trying your absolute best to ignore the little voice in your head telling you to punch her increasingly-punchable face. "I'll admit I hate you, Lo-Ru. There is no question about that. If I could find a way to turn every little bit of "magic practice" you've used me for back onto you right now, I'd pray that spell faster than I'd ever prayed. But I don't want you dead!" You go right up to her, invading her personal space to drive the point in. "You're a bitch, yes, and I sure as hell would like to see some justice come your way sooner rather than later. But another corpse isn't going to do anything for either of us."

"So what do you want," she demands, only leaning the slightest bit away from you, "you want me to just give up on this so you can have your 'justice?' Can't go with you because you don't trust me, can't go without you because if I die you'll feel cheated. Guess that leaves sitting around until the system breaks again and finishes what it started."

You pump just how done with her bullshit you are into the levelest glare you can muster. "How about a third option," you step back, as much to give her some space as it is to restrain yourself from starting a fistfight with her amidst the various unusual and likely dangerous magical artifacts that surround you. "Since I don't trust you to survive going alone, and neither of us really trust each other outside of necessity, we'll bring Den as a mediator."

The ravenette's clipped response is about what you expect, "Hell. No."

"I'm not letting you kill yourself in the Labyrinth on your own," you say, firm. "And if I have to come along, I'm bringing a plus one who actually recognized one of the artifacts down there."

"No, no no no. You just talked me out of bringing you along for this expedition, I'm certainly not spending an extended period of time in an eldritch maze with two Taints, much less with one who doesn't want to be there in the first place and another who tried to… no, just no." She shakes her head, just a little too furiously. "Or, well, I guess I'm not enough of a bigot to blame him for it since the Demon seems to act as a unique entity, and he apologized even if he couldn't remember what it did." Her cheeks flush a little, and she takes on a frustrated expression.

"Anyways, he seems more susceptible to Demonizing than you are, so whether it's his fault or not he'll be a huge risk while we… wait," Her train of thought seems to screech to a halt as she backtracks. "Did you say he recognized an artifact down there?"

You nod your head. "These three black mirrors, almost like they were tablets cut from obsidian? He said he recognized them as 'windows to other places,' like a scrying device. Took us a while to figure out how they worked, but he was right. They showed all kinds of stuff; like we were watching it through a window." You adjust your robe and lean against the bookshelves, body beginning to ache from standing in one place for so long.

"Look, I'm not happy to go spelunking with you either, but I'd rather not be indirectly responsible for your death by letting you go alone." Lo-Ru doesn't say anything in response, but she seems to be paying attention to you. That's an improvement from before. "You said he apologized to you, so I assume you've met him," you don't wait for her reply, but she nods anyway, "and in that case, he's the perfect candidate."

"He knows us both, seems level-headed enough to run interference, and has some knowledge that might be useful," she frowns. "Though, he didn't seem the most… impartial of people when I met him."

You wave off her concern with a shrug. "Whether you like it or not, you'll have to deal with both of us if you want to survive the Labyrinth. Whether he's 'impartial' or not doesn't really matter. You need us to make it through without dying and to help you with any artifacts. Plus…"

You hate to admit it, but the ravenette's ability to read Old Tongue makes her pretty invaluable. While it's true that you don't wish her dead, you wouldn't be too broken up if it happened. Even now that you feel you'd be somewhat responsible if she went on her own and offed herself, you'd probably just get angry at her for being a selfish bitch again.

No, the real reason you're not immediately discounting her offer is that she actually has something good to offer. If she can really read the Old Tongue as well as she says, then it might be worth putting up with her.

Really, if she died you'd lose that skill until you convinced someone much higher up the proverbial totem pole, and that could be years. So you can't let her go alone.

It's not because you'd actually feel bad if she died, you tell yourself. Once this whole mystery business is over she could jump in the lake and never come up and you wouldn't care a single bit.

Nope.

Not at all.

"...yeah," you continue lamely, "I guess what I'm saying is that yeah, I can work with you as long as Den's there. It's probably best for all three of us to go together, pool our skills and stuff. Any risk Den or I have of turning is probably low, as long as we can manage to play nice." You do your best to keep your face neutral, but you can't help but relish the fact that you're the ones setting terms now. "What say you?"

Lo-Ru sighs after a moment of silence, breaking the veneer of haughty superiority from before with quiet exasperation. "Fuck it. Yes, I'll journey into the unknown with two nascent Demons. Heaven knows this is nowhere near the most idiotic of my decisions."

You nod, content that you got her to agree with you. Or, you convinced her to let you agree to her plan. After you had made some revisions. Which is basically getting her to agree with your plan, right?

Yeah, you totally didn't just capitulate to her request and offer this she-devil two souls for the price of one. Yeah.

"So, I guess the next step is planning when we're going on this quest?" You ask, studiously ignoring the part of your brain that's screaming at you for being such a fool.

The she-devil blinks. "I had planned to do so this evening, but considering the sudden change in plans, that'll be impossible. We'll have to get in contact with Den and see when he's available. I heard from Miriam that he's a bard, and those can be fairly busy." She straightens her posture, looking more the spoiled noble that she used to be than the nervous wreck she's become. "Unless, of course, you happen to already be aware of when he'd be free? You're Bonded to him, so you must know something about him."

[] Admit how little you really know Den

[] Ask Den about it later

[] Brag about how close you and the bard are

[] Give Lo-Ru a time right now and convince Den before the deadline
-[] Tomorrow
-[] Day after

[] …isn't Den scheduled to visit the Temple soon? Just do it then

...The more I read this quest the more it feels like one of those affairs that could really use a dissasociated prolouge to get the players more attached to the lore-settings. That's an idea I had if I wanted to run an original quest-a brief prolouge as some nameless gaurd more to get the questers used to the quirks of the world...
[X] Ask Den about it later
Not the wisest way to do it but after seeing the results of the write-in (which TBH almost feels like a 'fail forward' moment just happened-where the Lo-Ru WOULD have stormed off had she been in character but due to QUEST! sucked it up and was the bigger woman.)

But even were the dubious nature of the system not a factor, I would be interested in this anyways, purely on the basis that any artifact related to the Taints may reveal how they work, especially one whose appearance coincides with theirs.
It took me a few tries to parse the sentence, because I was thinking of the wrong appearance.
I mean, Lo-Ru doesn't seem to be looking for anything specific (or is she just not telling us?), so it's not like any artifacts she hopes to find are something that's in the books... how would she know when they first appeared?
It makes logical sense, then, that when I find the system I trust to protect me from such disasters not only fails to do so but also leaves evidence that it is lying to me about its purpose and history, I would want to investigate.
Nah, what makes logical sense is that if you do not feel confident in the system protecting you within the town walls, you just leave town and never have to deal with any of it again. But for some reason that is not an option for you, and you would rather risk a suicidal dungeon dive and covert (and possibly illegal) investigation, why? Family obligations? Pride? Can't stand being defeated and having to run away? Or were you an intrepid reporter just waiting to be woken this whole time? Those usually are a bad fit with horror stories, mind.

Well, at least her stuttering seems to have been gone for now. Guess we hit a nerve and she got some of her backbone back.

I feel like I messed up both their voices somehow, but I can't pin it down.
I think this part was one of the offenders; I had to reread it to confirm I didn't get anything wrong.
"Look, I'm not happy to go spelunking with you either, but I'd rather not be indirectly responsible for your death by letting you go alone." Lo-Ru doesn't say anything in response, but she seems to be paying attention to you. That's an improvement from before. "You said he apologized to you, so I assume you've met him," you don't wait for her reply, but she nods anyway, "and in that case, he's the perfect candidate."

"He knows us both, seems level-headed enough to run interference, and has some knowledge that might be useful," she frowns. "Though, he didn't seem the most… impartial of people when I met him."

You wave off her concern with a shrug. "Whether you like it or not, you'll have to deal with both of us if you want to survive the Labyrinth. Whether he's 'impartial' or not doesn't really matter. You need us to make it through without dying and to help you with any artifacts. Plus…"
Anna repeats her point from before (twice even), and Lo-Ru is the one who actually counts aloud what benefits Den brings to the table when she is mortally afraid of him, and what he may represent. Her fear of Taints is one of the main reasons for this entire expedition!

Then again, the point of it is to overcome it, so I could see how she could be made to agree, but I thought Anna would have to be the one to convince her.
(also, what kind of argument is "you've met him, so he is a perfect candidate?" :D )

Not the wisest way to do it but after seeing the results of the write-in (which TBH almost feels like a 'fail forward' moment just happened-where the Lo-Ru WOULD have stormed off had she been in character but due to QUEST! sucked it up and was the bigger woman.)
Eh, I'd be perfectly content to undergo a dive under the pretence of searching for her cooling body. Or having her find something at the heart of the Labyrinth and becoming more powerful than we could possibly imagine, and coming back wrong. The narration already calls her a she-devil, becoming a she-demon wouldn't even be that big of a twist! :p

I really expected more of a pushback against our insistence to bring Den along, given how their last meeting went, and how she hates being vulnerable.

[x] …isn't Den scheduled to visit the Temple soon? Just do it then

I am sure he would appreciate the surprise.

We should prepare a backpack with supplies ahead of time so he couldn't reason his way out of this. :whistle:

Last edited:
I mean, Lo-Ru doesn't seem to be looking for anything specific (or is she just not telling us?)

She's looking for the Demon Throne, which was mentioned last update as possibly being tied to the Tainted after its defeat/fall. And *tinfoilhat* what better place to put an ancient artifact than at the bottom of a crazy eldritch Labyrinth */tinfoilhat* or something like that.

But for some reason that is not an option for you, and you would rather risk a suicidal dungeon dive and covert (and possibly illegal) investigation, why?

Vote for "Gentle Guard" next interlude. It should help.

(also, what kind of argument is "you've met him, so he is a perfect candidate?" :D )

More "it's someone we both know almost equally" since their combined time knowing Den measures up to less than a week. Though, yeah, it was worded poorly. I'll fix it, I swear, it was just such a struggle to get through the first time that I kinda need to just not look at it for a little bit.

And on that note, I'm half inclined to change the result of the chapter when I edit it. It turned out as it did mainly because I just wanted to finish the update. Even after a few rounds of editing and rereading, I failed to notice how artificial the ending feels. I could alter it so that Lo-Ru storms out, or I could leave the result as is and edit the argument to flow a little smoother than "we hate each other, let's bring in someone else you dislike" "cool, that'll work."

You guys can just append it to your existing votes, between [] Split the party and [] Don't split the party. If it changes the result, then the time you choose will determine when you and Den go in after her.

Sorry to mess it up like that. Hopefully, I can get a better editing workflow on my end up and running soon to catch problems like this.

Last edited:
She's looking for the Demon Throne, which was mentioned last update as possibly being tied to the Tainted after its defeat/fall.
Ah, right. But it sounds more like an organisation?
After the Demon Throne's defeat did the first sightings of the Defiled occur.
Does she know what the Throne even is? I was thinking it was metaphorical more than physical, but I suppose it could be both an item (an actual throne?) and a polity named after it.
I could alter it so that Lo-Ru storms out, or I could leave the result as is and edit the argument to flow a little smoother than "we hate each other, let's bring in someone else you dislike" "cool, that'll work."
I could see it going either way, really. It's one thing to find an artifact, but another one entirely to actually do something with it, especially when you aren't allowed to move it or when any official scholars or experts you could theoretically turn to are off-limits. Anna's proposal has a lot of merit.

Experimenting with demon-anything - especially in the context of ancient artifacts that you have no clue about - sounds like it would be in the same ballpark as taking a tour of the Labyrinth hand-in-hand with Asmodeus. An exciting adventure either way! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
[X] …isn't Den scheduled to visit the Temple soon? Just do it then
-[x] Don't split the party

I got what I wanted out of the update, which was a better sense of how these two are justifying each other to themselves, and a view into how enemies-to-friends might or might not be practical. Thanks!

Looking forwards to the party all trying to work together. :)

Back