Lets Read: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

Still very OOC:

You don't need helium, hydrogen works just fine. It's not like anyone is using explosive incendiary ammunition this side of the first world war, after all...
Except the snipers aboard the damn zeppelin, because apparently the Yanks like to operate that way.

Hydrogen zeppelin plus gratuitous incendiary bullets on board for no reason, possibly plus rifles that may be prone to accidental discharges, sounds like it's about their speed. :p

what's the WIA to KIA ratio? Ghouls tend to either kill you or never touch you, and I don't think they had very good field medicine in the fights against other humans. This is dark to say, but the reason they might be able to pull off a very good VA is that there are simply not that many vets where casualties but not fatalities.
Well.

Others have touched on this point, but first, there were clearly some rather bloody wars fought against the larger survivor enclaves, which would have had the usual ratio of WIA to KIA. And also, you'd see a lot of people hurt by things other than zombie infections. You have soldiers whose knees are blown out from marching thousands of miles with heavy kit and minimal mechanized support. You have soldiers who caught a disease on campaign and suffered long-term consequences. You have soldiers who were a little too old for this shit and suffered a succession of health problems that eventually invalided them out of the service and left them ruined for most postwar work. You have soldiers, so very many, whose problems are mainly psychiatric.

And on top of that, with the sheer scale of this army, there's a lot of largely unharmed veterans who still need things. Things like a GI Bill are expensive, but can save you a lot of trouble with your veterans after a big ugly war. The junta is a fucked up government, but even they have some conception of doing right by the guys with the guns.

So there's plenty for a VA to do.

I mean, yes, I guess that's true. But Brooks doesn't seem to understand what an infantry square was for. Its only purpose is that it stops the enemy from flanking you, because a square has no flank.

Being flanked is a big risk when fighting cavalry, but zombies aren't small, fast units. They're slow, dumb, and numerous; they're unlikely to attack your flank unless they're attacking your entire line. The threat isn't being flanked, it's being overrun, and if you don't have fortifications or something, an infantry square is a strictly inferior tactical option to walking away before you get overrun.
Yeah. Importantly, the main thing keeping zombies off you is the volume of rifle fire you put out. As your troops rearrange to form a square, three quarters of them must stop shooting and reposition. This virtually guarantees that if there is still pressure on your front, that pressure will now be sufficient to overwhelm the square's front.

The only time this kind of perimeter makes sense against zombies is if:

1) The defending force is so large that it can hold a really substantial amount of ground, and could reasonably be threatened by hordes in the hundreds of thousands from multiple directions at the same time, in which case you really have multiple battles going on in parallel because of the distances involved and you've moved beyond tactics into the realm of operations, or

2) The defending force is small and in 'irregular' terrain it cannot plausibly retreat through, but where it might hope to hold out and do some good or await reinforcement, but where because of the nature of the terrain it is utterly unpredictable where the most zombies will be coming from next.

The Battle of Hope is neither of these situations. Here, when it's clear that the zombie line is overlapping your rifle line to the point where flanking units can't hold them back, the correct solution is to turn 180 degrees and power-walk a couple of miles, then use the distance thus gained to resume the battle.

OOC:
The whole battle of Hope being basically an unsupported Napoleonic square with we-have-Garands-at-home vs a major city's worth of zombies infuriates me now. Seriously, zombies walk in straight lines towards targets, how is that not a perfect situation for some A-10s to brrrt a good chunk of the horde before they get close to the infantry? And no artillery? I know that WWZ zombies are immune to overpressure, but since apparently weaponizing and mass-producing a fucking shovel is on the table, it wouldn't be hard to jury rig some shrapnel canisters for modern artillery.
As others note, A-10s are not a good choice here; you'd want piston-engine or turboprop aircraft dropping napalm bombs. A-10s have neither the desired area effect nor much of anything else, and they are poorly equipped for communication and coordination with ground units. Them fucking up and strafing their own side is a realistic danger, and in fact has happened quite a few times.

They were not a very well conceived aircraft at the time of their creation. They have aged particularly poorly.

More generally, if Max Brooks wanted a full-bore arsenal assault pulverizing a zombie horde to work, he'd have written the Battle of Yonkers as a victory. This book was always about how modernity is weak and decadent (and that includes modern weapons) and how MANLY RIFLEMEN are the key to victory in warfare (and the more deliberately archaic their kit is, the better).

I don't think mortar fire was prohibited to use, or even necessarily inefficient. It just wasn't the done thing.

Canonically, the only time late-war infantry feared being truly overrun was facing a swarm of 1,000,000+ zombies - the battle of Comerica Park/Ford Field. And they still managed that one, in the end.

So, if your force was about to face more than that, it probably would be a good idea to thin it out from range, or from the air.

Or employ some divide-and-conqueror tactics. There's no rule that says you have to face them all in one go. You can use multiple Reinforced Squares, and let the horde break itself into bite-sized pieces.
OOC:

Um, I think you've kind of lost track of the premise of the thread, or are trying to reject the premises the author has written into the thread's narrative of IC history and win a debate with them. It's really not very becoming.

Because 5.56mm is going to be cheaper than 155mm, regardless of some added ingredients? And Lobos were literally melee weapons made out of existing materials. No moving parts, no complex production chains. Of course they're cheap.
OOC: I'd engage with this more seriously, except I get the sense that for you this is a fundamentally unserious "no actually, the book is right lol" proposition.

Also apparently that his works have gotten him a lecturing position at West Point, as mentioned in the interview.
Uuugh, fuckin' reformer brainworms... They never stop finding ways to re-entrench.

Max Brooks isn't trying to invent the best weapon for the kind of conflict his army is involved in. He's trying to invent the best weapon for a badass soldier to use, a soldier who can fight in any situation using only whatever's on his person. A slightly more grounded version of B.J. Blazkowicz, basically. Carrying three different barrels for the same rifle is more sensible than carrying three whole rifles...but it's less grounded than giving different soldiers different kinds of rifles.
Yeah, that checks out. Cult of the badass. Max pokes fun at it in the Zombie Survival Guide in a few places, but falls prey to it in a lot of other places.

It's never too late to invent one! I just stuck a somewhat more competent version of myself into the Midwest vM described.
Well you see, I don't actually want to create a self-insert, like, it does not enthuse me and the last time I tried to engage with a Let's Read like this in that way it got lame and unpleasant.

Pretty much. It's just extraordinarily hard to accept that the Junta would forgo basic tactics such as "retreating" in favor of line battles, like, these are literal military officers. They should *know* this shit, like what the fuck? Either the Junta was high on copium thanks to Max Brooks's shitty writing or they intentionally decided to accrue the most horrid attrition rates to not have to deal with future rebellions or food insecurity, which I could see happening given the dismal state of the USA in the west.
Well, in the novel's continuity, the shitty tactics magically work, mostly because they're being carried out by Good Resolute People instead of Bad Irresolute People. Thus, there is no anomalously high casualty rate to explain, retreating is simply unnecessary because you are doing things the Right Way, and so on, and so on.

In this Let's Read's continuity, the tactics don't magically work, they're objectively worse than doing things correctly would be, and the US's soldiers suffer for it. Which chains into the speculations you've made.

Last edited:
IC

You don't need helium, hydrogen works just fine. It's not like anyone is using explosive incendiary ammunition this side of the first world war, after all...
Nobody had to shoot at the Hindenburg. And while hydrogen's easier to come by (it's in the water), it's not logistically insignificant.

OOC

The lower rate of fire would absolutely be a problem for the junta's doctrine, though, because by having effectively no support weapons, they sacrifice all ability to even fight large zombie swarms except by putting a lot of bullets downrange Real Fast.

Maximizing the rate at which the soldier can fire aimed shots to an acceptable standard of accuracy thus becomes very, very, very, dare I say artificially, important.
Entirely fair. There's a reason I couched that statement in in-character notes about how my bolt-action is all I've ever needed. If I were evaluating the junta more objectively, the big problem would be that they're trying to fight hordes of zombies with nothing but massed rifle fire.

Uh, point of order, just about any military rifle is designed to be able to change out the barrel, because otherwise the whole rifle has to be written off if the barrel is bent, corroded, or otherwise damaged. And that's a bad thing.
Ah. I did not know that.

Look at browser/flash games. "Tower defense" games, in which all your assets are static and the only goal is to destroy the advancing enemy fast enough that they run out of bodies before you can be overrun, seem to be quite popular. "Elastic defense" games in which you keep retreating and putting up new lines of explicitly temporary defenses, backing up again and again until the enemy collapses in milling confusion and can be picked off at leisure... not so popular.
Tower defense games are popular because they're straightforward—easy to grok, easy to play, relatively easy to make. An elastic defense game would be trickier on all fronts, more like X-COM than Plants vs. Zombies.

Um, I think you've kind of lost track of the premise of the thread, or are trying to reject the premises the author has written into the thread's narrative of IC history and win a debate with them. It's really not very becoming.
It seems like TheDoge is doing some canon apologism. Which I'd normally have no problem with, but his apologetic arguments aren't particularly good.

Well you see, I don't actually want to create a self-insert, like, it does not enthuse me and the last time I tried to engage with a Let's Read like this in that way it got lame and unpleasant.
Fair enough, never mind.

Tower defense games are popular because they're straightforward—easy to grok, easy to play, relatively easy to make. An elastic defense game would be trickier on all fronts, more like X-COM than Plants vs. Zombies.
Still, of course, OOC:

Yes, exactly. And the same thing tends to lead amateur wanna-be tacticians to imagine the same kind of thing. The two simplest kinds of war to imagine are the kind where your guys just CHAAARGE and plow through the enemy and smash them all out of your way, and the kind where you hold a mighty fortress and strike down the enemy in their teeming hordes before they even get into range to be dangerous.

These are also, to so many human minds, the most glorious forms of war to imagine. One may speculate that this is precisely because they are so simple and easily understood.

The two simplest kinds of war to imagine are the kind where your guys just CHAAARGE and plow through the enemy and smash them all out of your way, and the kind where you hold a mighty fortress and strike down the enemy in their teeming hordes before they even get into range to be dangerous.

These are also, to so many human minds, the most glorious forms of war to imagine. One may speculate that this is precisely because they are so simple and easily understood.

Agreed.

However, there's probably a bit of evolutionary biology tied up in that also. For a very long time - before weapons, armor, and sufficient numbers - that's what conflicts were.

Watch chimp troops fight with each other.

[.
Ironically, if you want a "realistic" zombie apocalypse, going full horror fantasy is the way to do it.

Shambling corpses are the first stage. Get enough together, and they turn into a many-limbed horror with, like, psychic powers and shit.

Certainly makes it more plausible for a total societal collapse to occur without gross negligence or incompetence.

Also more fun.
OOC:Back for blood kept upping the threat level though. From a giant worm monster that spawned due to the corpses and how it had gone underground, building nests throughout the region where the Ridden hid to now a cult that actively spread the worms and the Ridden MAY be sentient??

IC there IS a reason not to do elastic defence though. If your troops aren't of good quality and can't execute such a defence for one, which was a legitimate concern for the juanta.

The other would be how static defences are a force mutilplier. The problem is that America didn't have the gear to equip highly mobile troops. Combined with the quality of her soldiers, the juanta decided to invest in the Indian and South African tactics.... Who themselves adopted said tactics because the rear line echelon forces, cut off from resupply could only use such tactics.

I personally argue that the difficulty of eradicating Z and the memory of Yonkers meant American generals always assumed the enemy will pop up in your rear. And because they didn't post the scouts and skirmishers needed, Z being chained swarm to them could come in at any angles.

Last edited:
[.

OOC:Back for blood kept upping the threat level though. From a giant worm monster that spawned due to the corpses and how it had gone underground, building nests throughout the region where the Ridden hid to now a cult that actively spread the worms and the Ridden MAY be sentient??
Ugh back for blood had so many problems that were purposely ignored for no good reasons.

Honestly it sounds like the Junta's mostly just putting crude Garand-esque furniture around the internals of whatever is designated a variant or production line or generation or whatever of what is all tots the singular retrofuturistic expression of American industry that is the Standard Issue Rifle and isn't, just, what happens when you've stripped down like six different broadly popular post-apocalyptic American rifles to be able to be kitbashed together in a garage, mostly, and then left it to cottage production as like very much the American version of the Great Leap Forward's backyard iron smelters. Like guns become SIRs through being officially adopted and issued through the Junta's armies, or if not them directly, then their cheap knockoffs.

You know, it's interesting that one of the more reasonable reasons to try the reconquest has so thoroughly vanished from the propaganda. When ghouls where somewhat new and folks where just starting to understand how little godamn sense they made, a very real concern was raised "what if they get worse?". They made no sense and seemed to work on nonsensical rules, so how could we be sure that there was not a second stage to the infection? that given time whatever they are doing to break physics would progress to let them break it harder.

Turned out to be objectively wrong sure, but I've head some zed researchers talk about how it was a real concern among their circles in the early days. Might be that when it didn't happen it was retroactively dismissed as embarrassing fearmongering nonsense? or maybe it never made it into official American propaganda at all?

I meant to reply to this earlier and accidentally left it out of the multi quote.

I can't comment on what propaganda at the time was or was not saying - we were too busy trying to survive.

HOWEVER...

All of us saw Zack do things that made you wonder if there was an emerging order in the chaos. A medium size group of them on a very clear night stopping their shamble to turn in unison and "look" with milky eyes at a cluster of rising stars.

A clearing in the woods far away from roads or houses, with a group of them standing in a circle looking up and reaching with one arm.

How a group of them could be aimlessly milling about and one on the other side would all of a sudden know that you were there and charge after you, bringing the rest with him. Even when you had been still and silent.

We sure as hell talked to each other about shit like that. We all were fully expecting things to get worse.

OOC:

IC there IS a reason not to do elastic defence though. If your troops aren't of good quality and can't execute such a defence for one, which was a legitimate concern for the juanta.

The other would be how static defences are a force mutilplier. The problem is that America didn't have the gear to equip highly mobile troops. Combined with the quality of her soldiers, the juanta decided to invest in the Indian and South African tactics.... Who themselves adopted said tactics because the rear line echelon forces, cut off from resupply could only use such tactics.
I don't think that really hangs together.

The level of sophistication required here for an elastic defense, especially on terrain like at Hope, is not large. You need very basic aerial recon (think Piper Cub level) and very basic ability to have enough trucks and cars to move the whole army a fairly short distance at a time. Just being able to feed those troops at the end of a supply line across hundreds of miles of mountains and desert would require enough capacity that doing that little bit more isn't that much of a stretch.

It's just not that much harder. And if anything it makes it easier to rely on the troops' morale to hold up, because you can tell them to their faces, "we are absolutely not sending you out there without a plan to bring you back to base if shit gets out of hand, we have a plan."

In real life, soldiers tend to start panicking when they think they are in danger of being cut off and destroyed. Against an enemy like the zombies, who will kill and eat you if you lose, you'd expect soldiers to rout if it looks like otherwise they will be surrounded. A military doctrine that relies on soldiers to passively hold their ground and accept being slowly cut off and surrounded by a slow-moving opponent sounds much harder to sustain, compared to just telling the soldiers that as long as they follow orders they won't be expected to do that normally.

I personally argue that the difficulty of eradicating Z and the memory of Yonkers meant American generals always assumed the enemy will pop up in your rear. And because they didn't post the scouts and skirmishers needed, Z being chained swarm to them could come in at any angles.
That doesn't make squares make sense. It means you need flexible arrangements and strong rear guard forces, yes. But if you're relying primarily on the killing power of rifle infantry (bad idea), you really don't want to physically take your entire army and arrange them so that only half to a quarter of the men literally cannot shoot in the general direction of the biggest enemy concentrations. Zombies aren't equally likely to attack from literally any direction in identical numbers, not at the operational level, not unless you are fucking up so badly you're stupider than the zombies.

Last edited:
Ugh back for blood had so many problems that were purposely ignored for no good reasons.
BFB got the wrong idea from Dark Souls. Git Gud doesn't equates to forced strategies and having to restart from the start.

That kinda strategy was for NES era games, which was arcade simulators intended to END your game, even if you keep pouring tokens in.

OOC:

I don't think that really hangs together.

The level of sophistication required here for an elastic defense, especially on terrain like at Hope, is not large. You need very basic aerial recon (think Piper Cub level) and very basic ability to have enough trucks and cars to move the whole army a fairly short distance at a time. Just being able to feed those troops at the end of a supply line across hundreds of miles of mountains and desert would require enough capacity that doing that little bit more isn't that much of a stretch.
It's the most "sensible" reason. Soldiers who just aren't trained enough, fit enough to operate in a mobile manner.

It's just not that much harder. And if anything it makes it easier to rely on the troops' morale to hold up, because you can tell them to their faces, "we are absolutely not sending you out there without a plan to bring you back to base if shit gets out of hand, we have a plan."
Airsoft games for untrained teams tend to boil down to stand and shoot for this very reason. It's not about whether it's feasible. It's just the new army wasn't capable of doing such tactical maneveurs.

In real life, soldiers tend to start panicking when they think they are in danger of being cut off and destroyed. Against an enemy like the zombies, who will kill and eat you if you lose, you'd expect soldiers to rout if it looks like otherwise they will be surrounded. A military doctrine that relies on soldiers to passively hold their ground and accept being slowly cut off and surrounded by a slow-moving opponent sounds much harder to sustain, compared to just telling the soldiers that as long as they follow orders they won't be expected to do that normally.
In real life, untrained soldiers tend to clump together and stick to a point because they simply don't know how to maneveur properly without being killed by enemy fire.

That doesn't make squares make sense. It means you need flexible arrangements and strong rear guard forces, yes. But if you're relying primarily on the killing power of rifle infantry (bad idea), you really don't want to physically take your entire army and arrange them so that only half to a quarter of the men literally cannot shoot in the general direction of the biggest enemy concentrations. Zombies aren't equally likely to attack from literally any direction in identical numbers, not at the operational level, not unless you are fucking up so badly you're stupider than the zombies.
And armies has done extremely stupid things like this before, such as posting reserve forces to fend off imaginary Japanese banzai attacks because they got outflanked so often.

I'm not even talking about General Slim fine, I accept I can't outmaneveur the Japs, but my logistics are superior so I hold and kill them instead. The ADF routed due to fears of being outflanked in Singapore. Well...... Officially. I agree with this history paper which claims the ADF Commander disagreed with Percival to defend on the beaches and chose to withdraw, then used comns errors to excuse his division being out of position. It's dubious because god's is POW accounts in camps just dubious as fuck ,being hearsay at best, if not from tertiary sources indulging in gossip.

Afterall, it's disproven that the INA didn't managed to actively fight in Singapore, being formed after its fall, although propaganda may have contributed to smashing the Indian army cohesion.

Last edited:
Airsoft games for untrained teams tend to boil down to stand and shoot for this very reason. It's not about whether it's feasible. It's just the new army wasn't capable of doing such tactical maneveurs.
See, I have my doubts.

The new army was clearly trained to do things. They have a whole battle plan, the soldiers plainly know what their role is, they have designated specialists running ammunition and even checking up on individual soldiers to give them rest breaks out of the line. They have the ability to set up base camps with things like chemical decon showers. They had time to design new rifles and manufacture lots of them, and even distributing halfass shit like the Lobos would take real time and concentration to make sure everyone has one.

This isn't an untrained militia hastily pressed into service.

They have time to train at least the first wave of troops, the guys being sent into action in places like Hope, how to perform basic maneuvers.

In real life, untrained soldiers tend to clump together and stick to a point because they simply don't know how to maneveur properly without being killed by enemy fire.
Yes, but when they start to rout, when soldiers at any time in history start to rout, it is because they think they will be killed if they remain where they are, and usually this happens as soon as they realize they may be surrounded.

Whether these soldiers are trained or not, I would expect them to be MUCH more likely to rout as they realize they are about to be surrounded by zombies, than if they realize that the zombies have gotten within 200 meters and it's time to pile hastily into the trucks and GTFO.

See, I have my doubts.

The new army was clearly trained to do things. They have a whole battle plan, the soldiers plainly know what their role is, they have designated specialists running ammunition and even checking up on individual soldiers to give them rest breaks out of the line. They have the ability to set up base camps with things like chemical decon showers. They had time to design new rifles and manufacture lots of them, and even distributing halfass shit like the Lobos would take real time and concentration to make sure everyone has one.

This isn't an untrained militia hastily pressed into service.

They have time to train at least the first wave of troops, the guys being sent into action in places like Hope, how to perform basic maneuvers.
The Iraqi army was trained too. They still defaulted to static positional warfare because that just how badly trained they were.

people do like to panic at the littlest things even if there not life threatening so imagine them seeing zombies are about to eat them, frankly I'm surprised a lot of zombie media doesn't look at that besides a shallow one because that is a lot of psychological damage to deal with constantly, like can only think of one web comic that kind of interacted with it the military soldiers each had a easily accessible grenade hanging on their chest rigs and there was no hesitation to pull it's pin when surrounded at all, like can you not imagine a lot of soldiers even if it's vilified having a suicide grenade still?

Again, that's exactly why I think that it'd be a lot easier for an army like this to keep up morale if they know there's a plan for retreat in case they get outflanked, than if the plan is "lol no retreat, shoot straight and die hard, you expendable schmuck."

The Iraqi army was trained too. They still defaulted to static positional warfare because that just how badly trained they were.
Yes, but... like... they were up against a lot of shit that was a lot more complicated to fight against than swarms of zombies.

This is an army that absolutely had exactly one thing they were seriously intended to fight: zombies. The guys who describe the experience of being in this army talk at length about how they carefully prepared and optimized their equipment to fight zombies. How everything was planned out just so. They're planning. To fight shambling mobs of zombies. On a big flat plain. With prep time.

With all this in mind, it beggars the imagination that anyone would put this much time into preparing specifically to fight Only Zombies and come up with this plan unless they were taking crazystupid pills or something.

OOC: you know, from a realistic, "This is how you ended up with swarms of them," and allow for multiple tactics, while allowing for cool scenes ...

How does the basic summary of: Zombies on a Long Earth, sound as a thing?

The Zombies are Extra-Planar. They can shamble between universes, that's how they got started on a distant earth. And you have fuck ups like most zombie apocalypse fiction of whole Earth's over run. Which explains fortification of everything because a Zombie could shamble into you town from an alt Earth at any moment.

(We can justify not into your home due to threshold protections of Hearth and Home as a thing.)

You'd never know it was really over till you go Extra-Planar and hunt them to the ends of The Multiverse.

And with alternate Earths you can mock various Zombie Scenarios as a thing because you can make a knock off of it on an alt-Earth.

Though tbf, if you accept a certain degree of the Junta's framing in this being a WW2-y great crusade but with zombies, in that its them legitimately building their like new model army and reconstructing a new zombie-spec war machine (but also being shit at it for fascism reasons), then actually fighting the opening battles, the opening operations, campaigns, years, of this continental endeavor is very much part of the development process for building doctrine. It takes a bit of trial and error to get it right, and there's a real question of how much the Junta putschists or even other versions of rump America were ever willing or able to afford large combined arms training in the sense of such a preplanned fully formed comprehensive body of doctrine. Setting aside the Junta's/Brook's continual slipping in of more like 'cult of the badass' shit, these are green troops after all, the equivalents to like 1860 bluebellies and like 2012 militias in Syria. The sheer psychological power of even just like a low rise and a suburban line of trees to keep soldiers clumped up and not breaking is hard to overemphasize, incorporating a set piece battle or at least layers of prepared defenses as like step 1 for being able to into combined arms at all seems pretty workable to me- even for an army that ultimately does reject static defenses as their strategy and does ramp up to a lean mean war machine of elastic horde-herding.

Either way though, static positional warfare of gradually building out trench lines to seize the commanding ground and then just plunging fire until there is no horde, elastic maneuver warfare of stringing out and destroying zombies swarms piece by piece out on the great plains, or etc..., etc... none of that is well represented by having less heavy support weapons than actual historical Napoleonic armies and purposely putting yourself into a killbox.

Interesting fact. There was at least one recorded instance of an Alpha Team member (them of the non-SIR good guns) being recruited initially through Stormfront.

Apolitical Generals, everyone.
I'm surprised any of them could pass the physical
As far as we know the zombie virus does not work on animals; there have been no confirmed reports of zombified animals and all tests regarding the purposeful infection of animals with the zombie virus has ended in death without reanimation; there are reports of infected great apes but these are pretty unsubtantiated. The current scientific consensus is that the zombie virus evolved specifically to infect humans.
Imagine if the zombie virsus could pass through misquitoes or bed bugs or ticks or any other variety of blood sucking insect. What a shit way to go.
The A-10 is dogshit, that's why. Drop a dumb bomb on them instead.
Love me the Warthog, but yeah It's kinda a lemon.
Also apparently that his works have gotten him a lecturing position at West Point, as mentioned in the interview.
Wut.... this is.... how??
It's not even a thought for me anymore, I straight up don't believe it's natural. My theory (and I know it's crazy, but the world became a crazier place after the Great Panic, so) is that there's some kind of membrane or something between this reality and an alternate one, something happened to rupture it, and now shit from the other side is filtering through into ours. The zombie "virus" is one of them, IMO, and going back to the Fighter Pilot Swamp Trek chapter and the talk about Radio Entities that it spawned, I think the REs are another.
Definitely not "natural" that is for sure. whether super natural or (idk if better or worse) man made.
I love this word 🧠🐍❤️ (I know its a snake but we have no worm emoji and that is a TRAVESTY)

The other would be how static defences are a force mutilplier. The problem is that America didn't have the gear to equip highly mobile troops.
I question the logic behind both of these assumptions.

First, while there are elastic defense tactics that require a lot of training and discipline and trust in enlisted men to pull off, there are also versions simple enough that societies which don't have a formal military or soldier training mastered them. And of course, elastic defense is even easier if you can pull back without worrying about enemy fire, cavalry charges, or maintaining a brisk jog.

Most kinds of tactics become simpler if your opponents are mindless zombies instead of thinking humans. One of the few exceptions is the tactics the junta actually used, which is as good a segue as any. Static defenses are a force multiplier, but staying in one place is not. The junta didn't build fortresses (or even dig a basic ditch) and then have the soldiers defend those static defenses; they just had them stand in one place, shifting into a square if the zombies got too close.

Well, first off there is no enemy fire. Zombies, remember? (This principle is also why pointing to human wars is a weak argument, especially in rough terrain where human cunning and forethought can easily turn the tables.)

Second off, pretty much any conscript army is going to have more training and better officers than your typical airsoft team. Even if you don't have time to send them to basic training, even if you don't have time for the most basic drills, it doesn't take that much training for soldiers to fall back to positions indicated by their officers. And if there's one thing the junta should have enough of, it's junior officers (or pre-Z privates) who know basic soldiery.

"Retreat when your officer retreats" is the most basic thing to teach an army; it's something medieval peasants being drafted for the first time could understand. And against zombies, it's all you need for a basic elastic defense. The only trick is stopping a retreat from turning into a rout, but that's A. also a problem for static defenses and B. less of a threat if your enemies are moving at a slow walking pace.

Though tbf, if you accept a certain degree of the Junta's framing in this being a WW2-y great crusade but with zombies, in that its them legitimately building their like new model army and reconstructing a new zombie-spec war machine (but also being shit at it for fascism reasons), then actually fighting the opening battles, the opening operations, campaigns, years, of this continental endeavor is very much part of the development process for building doctrine. It takes a bit of trial and error to get it right...
I mean, the thing is, this is after years of fighting zombies on smaller to medium scales, and a lot of the junta figures are supposedly people who were at least trained as combat officers.

This isn't a plan being developed in a vacuum. They have the opportunity to workshop these tactics on smaller scales, with transit assets to bug out if everything goes horribly wrong for some reason they overlooked. They spent months or years arming and preparing these soldiers, and worked out a detailed battle plan for how they would use this army tactically.

Just as one example, they spent a lot of real time training soldiers to march around in well ordered ranks and form hollow squares quickly in open field warfare. That is not actually an easy tactical evolution to perform in 19th century warfare. You cannot just scream at a crowd of men on a firing line to "FORM SQUARE!" and get an square out of the other end in a timely manner. That move takes practice. Furthermore, it is an "advanced" move that in turn requires other evolutions (like "walk around in a line" and "rotate the line ninety degrees without breaking it up" to have been learned first.

That's a lot of time and energy spent on close-order drill. Which may or may not have been wasteful, but at a bare minimum proves that someone took real time and energy to set up training facilities where these troops were fed and watered for an extended time, where they were kept for a long while and intentionally supplied and taught to do things By The Book.

Furthermore, they were trained to make reasonably frequent headshots at a considerable distance. This is not easy. It takes real, extended time to train rifle marksmanship to that level. Again, someone spent real time and energy training these guys to do things By The Book.

Which makes it just staggering that The Book left out so many things that wouldn't in any way have been "inefficient" compared to the things they did have.

Last edited:
There's a sort of wierd desire whenever you have a slow attritional enemy in fiction to fight them from a series of static positions. It doesn't really make a lot of sense. You would just bound backwards and continue to create space between you and the horde and cut it to bits.

Might also be a throw-back to the days of melee combat, where the limitations of hand-hand weapons and human physiology/psychology meant that an attritional "fight" usually translated into a siege.

I'd like to join the IC party but I would probably have been in Birmingham, UK when it all went to shit, so maybe I'll wait until we have a better idea of what the Siege looked like :V

Back