Lets Read: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

I mean. For a Zombie Pandemic?

Take COVID. If you die of COVID, you come back as a Zombie. If you're infected with COVID and survive and later die then you come back as a Zombie. If you have the Vaccine and die of COVID you come back as a Zombie. If you're vaccinated before you catch COVID and don't die of COVID then you don't come back as a Zombie.

With what COVID is like? Even if it doesn't hit an apocalypse? You're going to have dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria! Parts of the US devolve into Chaos as parts of a heavily armed nation now believe the Zombie Apocalypse is happening. A Great Panic Analogue being due to the fact people believe it's the Zombie Apocalypse even if it's not going to be one ...? It would be interesting in itself.

Mixing COVID with a Zombie Pandemic allows for an actual Zombie Plague which can get everywhere and anywhere. And taking the Pandemic and giving it's own spin on how people acted would work.

Mixing COVID with a Zombie Pandemic allows for an actual Zombie Plague which can get everywhere and anywhere. And taking the Pandemic and giving it's own spin on how people acted would work.
ngl that's a lot of what I'm using to fuel that in-character despair and anger at peoples' in-narrative willingness to just accept the boot in exchange for an illusion of pre-disaster normalcy.

it's a deep well to draw from.

I could see a story where the Zombie apocalypse happens because of the failures of our institutions (as a critique of those institutions) rather than because the zombies are actually that much of a threat l being interesting. I think that's more or less how OP is recontextualizng WWZ, which is really the only way to make sense of the book without succumbing to mid 2000s American Brainworms. A work that does that intentionally would probably look different to WWZ in a lot of ways.

Honestly I think a zombie apocalypse plague would work best as a threat as like I dunno malaria and smallpox going global in the Age of Sail and becoming endemic everywhere from Veracruz, Mexico to Naples, Italy. It's reaping the whirlwind of all the sins of consumerist capitalist society, turning the old world of suburbia into a deathtrap and compelling a fundamental new definition of what civilization is and how it is structured to be safe (even something as basic as just fucking off like all the ancient Roman towns Renaissance Europe abandoned as seasonally uninhabitable due to the "bad airs"), or just funneling in new human waves to die as demographic shatterpoints are reached in a self-feeding cycle- like how colonial slavery of indigenous people fed into smallpox and set the conditions for it to become so deadly and unrecoverable.

The zombie plague being like magic super-prions or something where the ground where infected blood and feces and spit and everything touch can stay contaminated for years and improperly designed burn pits can fail to destroy the infection and aerosolize it and it spreads best in like all the futureyear climate refugee camps and homeless hoovervilles with poor to nonexistent sanitation as like starving people devour all the wildlife and abandoned pets and sometimes their own corpses, overwhelmed medics are forced to just rinse and reuse needles, and the sheer human misery of every other form of disease and mental illness also hitting the camps makes it difficult to distinguish the symptoms and catch the spread before it hits the terminal zombie phase, or indeed stop some hysterical witch hunt from pogroming a camp that "looks Mexican" or something.

Last edited:
The conditions that facilitate the spread of a given media's zombie plague are inextricably linked to the politics of the media. Romero zombies are Like That because the whole point was a scathing critique of rampant consumer capitalism. WWZ zombies spread because Brooks hates the Chinese and liberals while having a hard-on for authoritarianism.

While I'd absolutely read a direct response to WWZ from a leftist perspective, an original fiction leftist take on the idea of the book should have a version of zombies and how they become an apocalypse that's tailored to fit the narrative and message.

WWZ zombies spread because Brooks hates the Chinese and liberals while having a hard-on for authoritarianism.

so the message should be stop furiously worshipping at the altar of great man theory?

It's honestly fairly more innocent than that, although still pretty bad. Brooke's is a liberal, but the mid-2000s was sort of the peak of individualist "everyone's to blame for their own actions, not others" among the American center-left of the time and Brooks was clearly STEEPED in that zeitgeist. The "fleeing north" chapter has it at it's most blatant, with the girl listing off all the ways people were setting themselves up for a disease outbreak, which seems completely oblivious to the potential for anyone to organize and address that problem. Because how were city-dwelling southerners supposed to know the finer points of Canadian winter survival? Oh right, we have LANGUAGE which we use to COMMUNICATE INFORMATION when faced with EXACTLY THIS PROBLEM.

Everything else is sort of a fallout of this. A extension of a world view he accepted without truly thinking through the full implications. There are a lot of otherwise reasonable people who are like that.

You still see it around in considerable degree, because the failures of the Obama administration and reactionary backlash in the Trump Administration has caused a split in the center-left between those still clinging to that individualism and those more willing to go "Oh, yeah, systemic and other factors also matter. Collective as well as personal responsibility exists." I'm not sure when that split in the center-left began and I don't know which side Brook's wound up on when it did. But I figure it was solidly in full swing by the time 2020 rolled around.

Last edited:
The problem with zombie media, as a genre, is that you need something that can both create an apocalypse and also be defeated by a band of hard men making hard choices in the aftermath (while hard). These are, needless to say, somewhat antagonistic towards each other. So you just get the actual fall waved off under a cloud of liberal weakness, while the survivors survive because they're TOUGH and BRUTAL and MANLY. Material realities like 'how zombie kill tank' doesn't matter, only the triumph of the will.

General Apocalyptic media doesn't generally have quite the same problem because the initial apocalypse and the threat to survivors are not the same thing. They may be second order consequences but you're not going to get the Whole Thing coming down on you. Like nuclear war stories may deal with radiation but rarely have the post-exchange survivors fight an ICBM with a crowbar.

Yeah, that's why, as much as it's eyebrow rising for everyone to have been that stupid in WWZ, it's not too bad of a solution to do a "well the collaspe wasn't as much because of the zombies themselves as because all the official responses were really abysmal"

I mean. For a Zombie Pandemic?

Take COVID. If you die of COVID, you come back as a Zombie. If you're infected with COVID and survive and later die then you come back as a Zombie. If you have the Vaccine and die of COVID you come back as a Zombie. If you're vaccinated before you catch COVID and don't die of COVID then you don't come back as a Zombie.

With what COVID is like? Even if it doesn't hit an apocalypse? You're going to have dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria! Parts of the US devolve into Chaos as parts of a heavily armed nation now believe the Zombie Apocalypse is happening. A Great Panic Analogue being due to the fact people believe it's the Zombie Apocalypse even if it's not going to be one ...? It would be interesting in itself.

Yeah honestly being around for covid has retroactively caused me to give a lot more slack to zombie plagues as a concept because honestly at this point I'm not even sure you need the whole 'fascists let it get out of hand to seize power' angle. Turn it into a culture war issue and enough people will expose themselves to infection just to own the other side for it to be a problem.

Yeah honestly being around for covid has retroactively caused me to give a lot more slack to zombie plagues as a concept because honestly at this point I'm not even sure you need the whole 'fascists let it get out of hand to seize power' angle. Turn it into a culture war issue and enough people will expose themselves to infection just to own the other side for it to be a problem.
I'm literally saying turning COVID into an actual Zombie Plague. Because the whole, "Coughs and Sneezes Spread Diseases," makes more sense than, "Rabies apocalypse, a plague spread by biting when there has never been a plague spread by biting, let alone a slowly lumbering human turned into a brain dead cannibal."

The Biter type Zombie makes no sense, while COVID is airborne which the spanish flu was as well. The popular culture idea of zombies makes no sense. Taking COVID and then doing what I said to it to make it a zombie plague is more than enough to cause chaos even if it doesn't cause the apocalypse.

Also, for example? Old Charlie Boy caught COVID, as did others, so in an alt history where COVID is a zombie pandemic at the same time? You get to say have King Charles the Third never happen as he became a Zombie and had to be put down.

Why you would take, "COVID is like a Zombie Pandemic," from me saying, "Let's make COVID an actual Zombie Pandemic for the purporse of an Alt-History," I'm kind of annoyed by.

I never said it was like a zombie pandemic? I said that living through covid made me reconsider where the floor of 'no one would do that, it's so stupid' is at. The usual biter zombies getting out of hand requires people to be massively stupid, and I am gesturing wildly at the last 3 years.

I never said it was like a zombie pandemic? I said that living through covid made me reconsider where the floor of 'no one would do that, it's so stupid' is at. The usual biter zombies getting out of hand requires people to be massively stupid, and I am gesturing wildly at the last 3 years.
Sorry. Remembering people in Head Canon threads in my past arguing that COVID = Zombie Apocalpyse is possible, and then those people won't listen to me when I say it's not like that.

But what I was arguing is that firstly, modyifying COVID slightly and adding in some mystical bullshit for Zombies makes for a good Zombie Pandemic.

It's just, for biter zombies to get out of hand? They need a different vector than just biting. Rampant stupidity is not enough to fix that. The Notion of a Cholera Zombie Plague has been an idea in my head for a way to fix it, for example. It's just tell me, the closest thing to a Biuter Zombie Plague is Rabies. If people can be that stupid, then how come there hasn't been a Rabies apocalypse?

A rabid dog is harder to put down than a Biter Lurching Zombie. Yet we've never had to worry about a rabies plague. Brooks explictly referenced Rabies with African Rabies as a thing in his books. Yet, how Rabies is spread isn't like a Zombie Apocalypse because? Rabies never becomes even a Zombie Pandemic let alone a Zombie Apocalpyse.

Humanities rank stupidity isn't enough to change the laws of biology. This isn't The Black Death, this isn't Smallpox, this isn't Spanish Flu. A Biter Zombie Plague is just not designed to do that. Now, you could modify The Black Death to have the dead victims rise from the grave and have medieval europe freak the fuck out. You could have a sample of Smallpox turned into a Zombie Plague due to mystical circumstances and unleashed on an Earth where it's dead outside of the labs. You could take Spanish Flu spread by World War I and also turn it into a Zombie Plague and suddenly a world weary of war has to deal with the dead rising up.

Zombie Apocalypses most of the time require you to turn your brain off. Because. Tell me, what every Zombie Film seems to skip, "How do you go from one lone Zombie Eating a Pigeon to be seen by Shaun on a Bus, to full blown hordes of Zombies in Shaun of The Dead," for example? Brooks explictly ignores the fuck out of that when he goes from, "Alpha Teams," to, "The Great Panic," as a thing. As Biter Zombies are not designed for that kind of fuckery.

Taking say, The Black Death, Smallpox, Spanish Flu, COVID, or some other efficent spreading plague and also having the dead rise up after they've died from it works as a thing. And admittedly I'd read the fuck out of a Historical Fiction of The Black Death also being a Zombie Plague, as Medieval Europe would probably be quite close to jumping to either, "It's the Rapture!" or, "Demons have come to devour our souls!" or, "It could be witches, some evil witches!" or something.

However, I admit I'm not qualified to write that. Though I do admit I'm tempted to find my old Creative Writing Teacher who writes historical fiction and suggest that to her.

I'd like to state for the record, when I'm not allowing for supension of disbelief? a Biter Lurching Zombie Plague doesn't work. Rage from 28 Days Later honestly doesn't work either, because humans have come up with this efficent way to kill infantry known as, Guns, Artillery, Aircraft, and so on.

Taking a historical pandemic or recent one, and turning it into a zombie situation works though. Because those pandemics had their own methods of spreading and it becomes possible as long as you keep those methods of spreading.

I named turning COVID into an actual Zombie Pandemic, keeping everything else of COVID, including Long COVID, except adding the Zombie Death Rules I came up for it? Because that actually works as a Zombie Pandemic. Just claming, "COVID happened, thus a Biter Zombie Plague could happen," however is like taking 1 + 1 and getting 3. (Which admittedly I've written magical systems where that explictly 1 + 1 = 3 happens as a thing, but that's not the point.)

Tl;dr It's not a matter of human stupidity, it's how Biting doesn't work at spreading a plague under how biology works.

Rage from 28 Days Later honestly doesn't work either, because humans have come up with this efficent way to kill infantry known as, Guns, Artillery, Aircraft, and so on.
Agreed for a global outbreak, especially since rage zombies are still theoretically alive and suffer in ways that the undead don't - but in 28 Days Later it all reaches critical mass in a couple of days, IIRC, so there just isn't enough time for the kind of decisive response needed (and we probably don't have the competence to respond swiftly and decisively, or, well the paranoia to immediately realise it's shoot to kill).

The UK is fairly small, and it only takes one getting onto a train for it to break out of a city - plus so much of our governance is settled into London that once the city is infected that's pretty much it for an official response. There would no doubt be hundreds of small towns that have relatively little contact with the rage virus beyond taking in the refugees.

Last edited:
The UK is fairly small, and it only takes one getting onto a train for it to break out of a city
I'd like to point out that the Rage Virus is very, very, quick. You're bitten, you turn. And it started in Cambridge. While a World War Z style biter infection isn't instant it at least has that going for it, even if the biting is a shitty way to spread a plague. The Rage Virus has basically no incubation period. How does it get from Cambridge to London without a massive response?

You mentioned a train, but how does a train at a train station not have the passengers freak out, lock the train and run the hell away? There's the absolutely idiotic plot of 28 weeks later which we will ignore. But for the basic Rage virus? One of it's problems is it's too fast.

There is a reason I picked COVID for a Zombie Plague for infectiveness as something which can spread. The original "wild type" COVID-19 virus, which had an average incubation period of 6.65 days. It's also a respiratory infection, like I've said before, "Coughs and Sneezes spread diseases," as a thing.

If you want a Zombie Plague to work? Basically a Week incubation without showing symptoms, having it spread through the air. Yes, you could make up a super Zombie Plague which is basically respiratory infection and long incubation period ebola which would kill ninety percent of the people infected by the Zombie Plague. But then you're inventing this super duper perfect storm plague which is also magical and makes zombies.

COVID allows for people to break down into panicking, at people thinking the Zombie Apocalypse is going to happen due to popular culture, and then you have a panic which would probably cause chaos and do more damage than the actual Zombies of a Zombie!COVID.

If you invent a super plague and have it happen, then you don't say get to do a social critique of COVID and how we dealt with it. You just have a Zombie Apocalypse happening. And it's more interesting in this style of story to investigate the social side of how it affects people. Which is why the original World War Z was so popular even with it's massive flaws.

Around the World, And Above, Part 2
Around the World, And Above, Part 2

Article:
THE DEMILITARIZED ZONE: SOUTH KOREA

[Hyungchol Choi, deputy director of the Korean Central Intelligence Agency, gestures to the dry, hilly, unremarkable landscape to our north. One might mistake it for Southern California, if not for the deserted pillboxes, fading banners, and rusting, barbed wire fence that runs to either horizon.]

Of course he interviews a South Korean spook from the fucking KCIA about North Korea. Who else would you ask?

Note, if you would be so good, the rusting barbed wire, the crumbling pillboxes. This is important later, because some odd assumptions are made.

Article:
What happened? No one knows. No country was better prepared to repel the infestation than North Korea. Rivers to the north, oceans to the east and west, and to the south [he gestures to the Demilitarized Zone], the most heavily fortified border on Earth.

And they knew in advance; we know the pre-war Chinese military told them about the ghouls, hoping North Korea might be willing and able to distract whatever American forces were in South Korea whilst they went for Taiwan. This was before the Americans pulled out, of course.

Article:
You can see how mountainous the terrain is, how easily defensible, but what you can't see is that those mountains are honeycombed with a titanic military-industrial infrastructure.

The North Korean bunker network is surely extensive, but I can't imagine it is as vast as he tells the interviewer here, and it is mostly around a focal point at Pyongyang; old declassified South Korean documentation of the seismology imply that it sort of spiderwebs out from Pyongyang.

He must know this; there's no way Seoul has released information that is more sophisticated than the Deputy Director of the KCIA has seen.

Article:
Their population was heavily militarized, marshaled to a degree of readiness that made Israel look like Iceland. Over a million men and women were actively under arms with a further five in reserve.

I vaguely remember something about this; it fed into the Taiwan Strait crisis. North Korea had mobilised a chunk of the Worker-Peasant Red Guards and for a lot of people that cemented that China was gearing up for "the big one".

Article:
More important than this training, though, and most important for this kind of warfare was an almost superhuman degree of national discipline. North Koreans were indoctrinated from birth to believe that their lives were meaningless, that they existed only to serve the State, the Revolution, and the Great Leader.

There's a perception I get, from reading stuff like this and from speeches they give, from their general posturing around China… The South Korean government truly believes the North Koreans - certainly pre war - were, like… orcs? Barely human monsters, sworn to be eternally loyal to their Dark Lord.

North Koreans were mostly just people living in a dictatorship with a low-ish standard of living. The difference between them and the people of, I don't know, Equatorial Guinea, is that North Korea is famous for being a dictatorship. But don't worry - it gets worse.

Article:
This is almost the polar opposite of what we experienced in the South. We were an open society. We had to be. International trade was our lifeblood. We were individualists, maybe not as much as you Americans, but we had more than our share of protests and public disturbances. We were such a free and fractured society that we barely managed to implement the Chang Doctrine during the Great Panic.

As the outbreak was beginning, the South Korean government, in the personage of the NIS - the intelligence agency which later returned to being the Korean CIA - arrested the leadership of the most prominent leftist party in the country for "plotting with the North".

This was the society that they believe was "too free". Nevermind that 10 companies made up 60% of their economy, and when Samsung said jump, their government said "Yes sir!"

The Chang Doctrine was Redeker again. It's always just Redeker again.

Free and fractured, sure. Too many protests, sure. God it's gross how much time he spends interviewing spooks and generals.

Article:
That kind of internal crisis would have been inconceivable in the North. They were a people who, even when their government caused a near genocidal famine, would rather resort to eating children than raise even a whisper of defiance. This was the kind of subservience Adolf Hitler could have only dreamed of.

This is insane. They were people living in a dictatorship. They didn't "whisper defiance" because it would get them fucking shot. You ought to be familiar - you were under military rule until 1993, and your own fucking intelligence agency was torturing domestic opponents until 1999.

Article:
If you had given each citizen a gun, a rock, or even their bare hands, pointed them at approaching zombies and said "Fight!" they would have done so down to the oldest woman and smallest tot. This was a country bred for war, planned, prepared, and poised for it since July 27, 1953. If you were going to invent a country to not only survive but triumph over the apocalypse we faced, it would have been the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

If you preface everything this guy says with the knowledge that his intelligence agency helped bring into power and keep in power the daughter of South Korea's most infamous military dictator, then his insistence that the North Koreans are all murder robots primed to follow their leader off a cliff - as opposed to being people who don't want to die? - makes a lot more sense.

But no the level of sacrificial suicide you are describing here is weird cult shit. I would've thought you'd know the difference? Military dictatorship is what South Korea does to its citizens, weird cult shit is what your president gets up to.

Article:
So what happened?

About a month before our troubles started, before the first outbreaks were reported in Pusan, the North suddenly, and inexplicably, severed all diplomatic relations. We weren't told why the rail line, the only overland link between our two sides, was suddenly closed, or why some of our citizens who'd been waiting decades to see long lost relatives in the North had their dreams abruptly shattered by a rubber stamp. No explanation of any kind was given. All we got was their standard "matter of state security" brush-off.

As far as anyone can tell, this was when Kim Jong-Un was informed by his agents in China that the Chinese government was serious about their plans to invade Taiwan once the outbreak took America's eye off the ball.

And like, in one of those cases where being a dictator of a small and precarious country was something of a disadvantage, Kim Jong-Un appears to have responded by freaking the fuck out. The North Korean leadership weren't morons - they knew China was keeping a lid on their outbreak by far finer margins than they knew, and Kim Jong-Un knew that going for Taiwan actual would be a disaster; they'd have to move so much materiel and manpower around, outbreaks were going to go from being on the simmer to boiling over before anyone realised.

So he pulled out. Cut contact with South Korea, stopped following Chinese "advice" on foreign policy, and enacted North Korea's absolutely monstrous take on the Redeker plan.

Article:
Unlike many others, I wasn't convinced that this was a prelude to war. Whenever the North had threatened violence, they always rang the same bells. No satellite data, ours or the Americans, showed any hostile intent. There were no troop movements, no aircraft fueling, no ship or submarine deployment. If anything, our forces along the Demilitarized Zone began noticing their opposite numbers disappearing.

North Korea started to pull back hard. They closed every border - which did their economy absolutely no favours, once they stopped being able to send workers into China - and started preparing.

Article:
We knew them all, the border troops. We'd photographed each one over the years, given them nicknames like Snake Eyes or Bulldog, even compiled dossiers on their supposed ages, backgrounds, and personal lives. Now they were gone, vanished behind shielded trenches and dugouts.

Our seismic indicators were similarly silent. If the North had begun tunneling operations or even massed vehicles on the other side of "Z," we would have heard it like the National Opera Company.

I find it amusing how he talks confidently about knowing the North Koreans were not engaging in exceptional amounts of tunnelling, and that the South would've easily spotted this.

You know, considering what he's about to peddle. The North Koreans did not all disappear into a tunnel network no one had ever discovered or imagined was the scale it would need to be. If I really wanted to, I could probably talk to a "North Korean" in, like, a month, tops.

Article:
We also saw a complete halt to human intelligence infiltration. Spies from the North were almost as regular and predictable as the seasons. Most of the time they were easy to spot, wearing out-of-date clothes or asking the price of goods that they should have already known. We used to pick them up all the time, but since the outbreaks began, their numbers had dwindled to zero.

Was the UPP entirely made up of North Korean agents and had to be dissolved, or were North Korean spies laughably out of touch and incompetent? Which is it, dude? It cannot be both.

But I mean, it can. North Korea is the archetypical "both strong and weak" enemy for South Korea.

Article:
What about your spies in the North?

Vanished, all of them, right about the same time all our electronic surveillance assets went dark. I don't mean there was no disturbing radio traffic, I mean there was no traffic at all. One by one, all the civilian and military channels began shutting down. Satellite images showed fewer farmers in their fields, less foot traffic in city streets, even fewer "volunteer" laborers on many public works projects, which is something that has never happened before. Before we knew it, there wasn't a living soul left from the Yalu to the DMZ. From a purely intelligence standpoint, it appeared as if the entire country, every man, woman, and child in North Korea, had simply vanished.

This both is and is not true. North Korea certainly would look empty on South Korean satellites by the end of this operation, but the "how" of it isn't exactly mysterious.

There's satellite footage - and testimonies - of the 18 million or so North Koreans considered surplus to requirements for the survival of the state being forced across the Yalu into Jilin and Liaoning. This included large portions of their military, though few of the upper ranks.

Most successful South Korean spies, so far as we can tell, were successfully able to argue their way into the remaining 5 million North Koreans who were not exiled.

Article:
This mystery only stoked our growing anxiety, given what we had to deal with at home. By now there were outbreaks in Seoul, P'ohang, Taejon. There was the evacuation of Mokpo, the isolation of Kangnung, and, of course, our version of Yonkers at Inchon, and all of it compounded by the need to keep at least half our active divisions along our northern border.

Their version of Yonkers. Right. Just like Yonkers. The only real difference being that in Korea, the intelligence services took a more forward role, and the military took the shaft.

But honestly I can see why they'd be spooked - North Korea was not acting rationally. The Chinese were spitting furious about it - the provincial party secretaries in Liaoning and Jilin were scrambling to deal with the influx, they had outbreaks cropping up unexpectedly, an early foreshadow of the nightmare when they went for Taiwan, and the entire rest of the North Korean population just disappeared.

The standing assumption I believe was that they were planning to uncan some sunshine over Seoul whilst the South Koreans struggled to contain their outbreaks.

Article:
Too many in the Ministry of National Defense were convinced that the Pyongyang was just aching for war, waiting eagerly for our darkest moment to come thundering across the 38th Parallel. We in the intelligence community couldn't disagree more. We kept telling them that if they were waiting for our darkest hour, then that hour had most certainly arrived.

The South Korean military has been more or less entirely brought under the domain of the KCIA since the war. The Ministry of National Defence was devastated by the ghouls, and then literally occupied by military units loyal to the KCIA as the war came to a close.

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again. This is why he frames the intelligence community as the rational sceptics in the room at the time - it was, so they claim, necessary for the security of South Korea against the ghoul threat and to avoid provoking the North Koreans, that they claim military authority.

Of course, now they're in charge, they're pretty gung ho about provoking the Workers' Republic, so.

Article:
Tae Han Min'guk was on the brink of national collapse. Plans were being secretly drafted for a Japanese-style resettlement. Covert teams were already scouting locations in Kamchatka. If the Chang Doctrine hadn't worked . . . if just a few more units had broken, if a few more safe zones had collapsed . . .

It is testament to how abjectly fucked the Russians were at this point that South Korea, in the middle of actually legitimately collapsing, was able to engage in covert operations on Russian soil. Hell, Japan was able to completely occupy Kamchatka, though the HRE might be thanking them for that now.

Article:
Maybe we owe our survival to the North, or at least to the fear of it. My generation never really saw the North as a threat. I'm speaking of the civilians, you understand, those of my age who saw them as a backward, starving, failed nation. My generation had grown up their entire lives in peace and prosperity. The only thing they feared was a German-style reunification that would bring millions of homeless ex-communists looking for a handout.

The wretched contempt for the North Koreans just bleeds through, doesn't it?

And why would they be homeless, anyway? They weren't homeless in the DPRK, so why would they be homeless after reunification?

I jest, obviously. They'd be homeless because all the housing stock would be purchased by South Korean Chaebols and they wouldn't be able to afford rent.

Anyway, they aren't stoking fear of North Korea because they're scared of the bunker rats we all have to assume are still living there. They're stoking fear of North Korea because the Workers Republic of Korea in Jilin has a similar population to South Korea but is, you know, not a complete fucking basket case run by a religious cultist. They're terrified.

Article:
That wasn't the case with those who came before us . . . our parents and grandparents . . . those who lived with the very real specter of invasion hanging over them, the knowledge that at any moment the alarms might sound, the lights might dim, and the bankers, schoolteachers, and taxi drivers might be called to pick up arms and fight to defend their homeland. Their hearts and minds were ever vigilant, and in the end, it was them, not us, who rallied the national spirit.

Love some veneration of older generations (who lived under a military dictatorship) and therefore had the vigilance to rally the national spirit, unlike the young, weak of heart and mind.

Just adore how open the fascism is, honestly.

Article:
I'm still pushing for an expedition to the North. I'm still blocked at every turn. There's too much work to do, they tell me. The country is still in shambles. We also have our international commitments, most importantly the repatriation of our refugees to Kyushu. . . . [Snorts.] Those Japs are gonna owe us big-time.

Would you believe Japan and Korea don't get on now? I'm shocked. Shocked!

They play nice because America makes them play nice, but as it becomes clearer and clearer that America isn't going to come roaring back to prominence on the world stage, the claws are starting to come out. I give it a year before they're skirmishing over Tsushima and the Liancourt Rocks.

Article:
I'm not asking for a recon in force. Just give me one helicopter, one fishing boat; just open the gates at Panmunjom and let me walk through on foot. What if you trigger some booby trap? they counter. What if it's nuclear? What if you open the door to some underground city and twenty-three million zombies come spewing out? Their arguments aren't without merit.

These are not the arguments used. The arguments used - the arguments that keep the South Koreans below the DMZ and the WRK above the Yalu - are that for either to enter North Korea, they're violating the claimed territory of the other. Forget about the DPRK. For either South Korean or Jilin Korean forces to enter the northern half of the Korean peninsula would represent an invasion of their opposite number.

Article:
We know the DMZ is heavily mined. Last month a cargo plane nearing their airspace was fired on by a surface-to-air missile. The launcher was an automated model, the type they'd designed as a revenge weapon in case the population had already been obliterated.

Another argument is that the DPRK is clearly still kicking, if only just. Something's clearly gone wrong - you can't imagine they intend to stay in their bunker complex forever - but there's absolutely no fucking chance that any of their automated defences are still working after 20 years without maintenance - they can't even keep a pillbox or razorwire functional for 20 years without replacement parts, and you expect us to believe their SAM turrets are just ticking over fine?

Article:
Conventional wisdom is that they must have evacuated to their subterranean complexes. If that is true, then our estimates of the size and depth of those complexes were grossly inaccurate. Maybe the entire population is underground, tooling away on endless war projects, while their "Great Leader" continues to anesthetize himself with Western liquor and American pornography.

The bunker complexes must be larger than anticipated, sure, but they aren't as large as he pretends to believe they could be; he would be able to tell!

But the official position of the South Korean Government on the WRK in Jilin is that it does not exist, and if it does exist, it is Chinese propaganda, and contains no ethnic Koreans. As such, they have to claim no North Koreans were exiled, and as such… they have to pretend to believe that Kim Jong-Un retreated into the bunker complex with the entire population of North Korea.

And we know more than they hint. A couple of years into the crisis, when South Korea was looking at its most dire, there was a broadcast from Pyongyang calling for South Koreans to rise up against their government, promising that the Korean People's Army would cross the DMZ in force to defend them against the living dead and their government both.

This broadcast told us an awful lot about what was going on down there, because it was delivered by Supreme Leader Kim Yo-jong.

For Kim Yo-jong to be the ruling member of that family - given she was only 28 at the time - something terrible must have befallen her siblings, without substantially altering the attitude of the North Koreans in the bunker complex towards them. To me, this screams ghoul. An outbreak in the highest levels of their bunker complex could've easily killed or turned her older siblings without having resulted in substantial broader concerns.

So far as "how" the infection got in - I think it was probably the South Korean spies. Recall that this was before the outbreaks had really gotten going; only China and North Korea knew, at this point. If a South Korean spy got through the initial screening to get into the "let us all become mole people" meeting, they'd be assumed to be clean of the zombie taint. If they'd slipped out a side exit to try and contact Seoul, though… Been bitten by a homeless person whilst doing it? Do you think they'd tell anyone in the bunker? People would ask questions, like "what were you doing out there". So they didn't tell anybody, and then eventually they turned within the bunker complex.

There have been no broadcasts since that one, either - no uprising in South Korea was forthcoming, either, but the South Koreans don't like to acknowledge the broadcast at all, because it caught them completely by surprise, and set them into a tizzy where they deployed units to the DMZ and lost about half their remaining enclaves in two months.

Article:
Do they even know the war is over? Have their leaders lied to them, again, and told them that the world as they know it has ceased to be? Maybe the rise of the dead was a "good" thing in their eyes, an excuse to tighten the yoke even further in a society built on blind subjugation. The Great Leader always wanted to be a living God, and now, as master not only of the food his people eat, the air they breathe, but the very light of their artificial suns, maybe his twisted fantasy has finally become a reality.

My view, personally, is that the North Koreans thought everyone would fuck it up. They didn't think any other governments would survive - China knew it was coming and was still planning to fuck around and find out, they must've thought everyone else would do worse.

And once everyone else did worse, North Korea could open their bunkers and come out armed and ready to liberate the people of South Korea, Japan and so on, and become hegemon of the Sea of Japan, if not further. But then the other governments didn't collapse - indeed, some of them are stronger than ever, and filled with antipathy for the Kim dynasty, and they realised the difficulty they would face if they ever opened up. So they haven't.

Article:
Maybe that was the original plan, but something went disastrously wrong. Look what happened to the "mole city" underneath Paris. What if that occurred in the North on a national level? Maybe those caverns are teeming with twenty-three million zombies, emaciated automatons howling in the darkness and just waiting to be unleashed.

Maybe they all died. Maybe there are 5 or 6 million ghouls locked up down there. Or maybe some parts of their network are flooded, and others still work, still allow them to repair and maintain their defences. Or maybe they're fine down there - as fine as you can get under the circumstances.

Whatever the truth is, it has nothing to do with why he's not allowed into North Korea.

I'll be covering Japan next. Looking forward to that.

Donate to the Walvis Bay Railroad [HERE].

Donate to the Sanatorium for Infirm Women in Russia [HERE].

Donate to the Lakota [HERE] - they're trying to rebuild as well as they can.

Argentina will be free! Donate to the cause [HERE]. This link might be illegal in your country, be careful.

AN: Did you know in 2013 South Korea was ruled by a cult? Did you know they declared a major-ish political party of being spies for the North and outlawed the party?

Such a normal, individualistic country. It is also weird how frequently he just… describes fascism. Next up we have some extremely cringe inducing japanese stuff.

Very distressing read, Great Work!

Reminds me of why I was so obsessed with this book in middle school. This perspective on it honestly fits really well with the setting the book established.

My money's on just, you know, regular sickness. One bad cholera outbreak could easily spread and kill everyone in a closed environment.

And of course the Yank's happy to talk up the South Koreans; they're still the US's closest allies in the region, even if it looks like they're probably aiming to renegotiate the terms of the deal with the change in relative power.

OOC: Ah.

Ah.

Like how you can tell dated future history is in stories of the past, is when you have people going on about the Soviet Union past the 90s ... Brooks hasn't shot himself in the foot. He shot himself in the arse with a harpoon gun to assume certain things.

Can we go back to the sea? About the people living on boats? Please, Brooks? Pretty please, with a cherry on top?

You are ignoring content by this member.
Truthfully, I think that there is some truth to the idea that the WRK is backed by China. While the WRK has been repositioning itself to move to Cuban orbit when feasible, I think it's kind of unlikely that a largely-agricultural society without a strong urban proletariat that had undergone a nightmarish dictatorship calling itself "socialist" for so long would have reformed as a socialist-oriented society without the help of China. It's not entirely a psyop populated by Chinese, however, or whatever the KCIA wants to sell us.

I've also heard the comparison that, in the same way that the West German Basic Law was basically American lawmakers trying to accomplish what the Constitution did but without its flaws, the WRK was sort of the attempt by Mao-sympathetic socialists in China (with limited but notable help from the Koreans) to create Maoism but without the issues that plagued that period of Chinese politics.

Truthfully, I think that there is some truth to the idea that the WRK is backed by China. While the WRK has been repositioning itself to move to Cuban orbit when feasible, I think it's kind of unlikely that a largely-agricultural society without a strong urban proletariat that had undergone a nightmarish dictatorship calling itself "socialist" for so long would have reformed as a socialist-oriented society without the help of China. It's not entirely a psyop populated by Chinese, however, or whatever the KCIA wants to sell us.

I've also heard the comparison that, in the same way that the West German Basic Law was basically American lawmakers trying to accomplish what the Constitution did but without its flaws, the WRK was sort of the attempt by Mao-sympathetic socialists in China (with limited but notable help from the Koreans) to create Maoism but without the issues that plagued that period of Chinese politics.

The WRK is obviously backed by China considering it's in China and China isn't complaining about it. It's just that this in no way invalidates it.

Even better, Japan is now an anime, Katanas for Everybody! Those zombie skulls just can't stand up to Glorious Thousand-Folded Nippon Steel.

At least, if I'm remembering those chapters properly. It's been a long, long time since I read World War Z.

I won't lie, when I read this book when I was young and dumb, I loved the Japan parts. Especially the blind dude killing zombies. No, it wasn't realistic in the slightest, but I didn't give a fuck. It was cool.

I can't wait to see how it gets ruined because it's part of the Cult of the Warrior propaganda. (I believe the Cult of the Warrior was the correct term?)

So just to make sure I'm clear on the actual facts of the situation in the People's History of the Zombie War timeline...

North Korea factually did expel most of its population over the borders and herd a quarter of it (roughly) into the bunkers. The refugees were mostly if not entirely pushed over the northern border and are now a major element of the Worker's Republic of Jilin, which has established itself in, well, the eponymous Jilin, which is a Chinese province bordering on North Korea.

Meanwhile, South Korea is under the usual badly concealed iron fist of a bunch of KCIA spooks.

Do I have that right?

I won't lie, when I read this book when I was young and dumb, I loved the Japan parts. Especially the blind dude killing zombies. No, it wasn't realistic in the slightest, but I didn't give a fuck. It was cool.

I can't wait to see how it gets ruined because it's part of the Cult of the Warrior propaganda. (I believe the Cult of the Warrior was the correct term?)
The term I've heard (though it would be kind of anachronistic in the WWZ timeline) is "Cult of the Badass." Not just reverence for combat and warriors, but for the idea that it is important to be a warrior combatant in a very specific way, to feel specific ways about it, to dismiss certain other specific feelings as "weak" and "unmanly" and so on.

Last edited:
Back