Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

And even if they cant the Buffs in Nam did fly nonstop from Conus to Nam and back.

The B52 has insane range.

The Bones and Wing has even more. The B2s only leave their base for missions. Including the 16 hour plus flights to Iraq and back.

So where the Bombers cant go the tankers can.

You know, I've always wondered if the US would create something like the FB-22 in a case of an Abyssal War, just to have more bombers just in case...

You know, I've always wondered if the US would create something like the FB-22 in a case of an Abyssal War, just to have more bombers just in case...
The design was scrapped, and I doubt it's coming back unless we're talking Ace Combat's Strangereal, which produces pretty much every military aircraft under the sun with ease almost everywhere. My guess would be a brand-new aircraft if the Air Force wants a new fighter-bomber, but they're more likely to expedite production on the planned B-21 instead and perhaps modify them to carry anti-ship munitions.

Yeah Kadena and/or MCAS Iwakuni. Both are mainland and should have strips big enough for Buffs to land and take off. In Iwakuni's case, they could be enlarged if they aren't big enough.

I think P-8s fly out of Okinawa. They're not exactly small (120ft.+ wingspan)

Still much smaller than the Bones, B-2s and B-52s. P-8s are just converted 737s.

Last edited:

Why would they? There's still F-18 Super Hornets and then there are the F-35 and all its variants, as well as F-16C and D variants and the F-15Es still in service.

The F-22 is an air superiority fighter. That is its main and only purpose. The F-35 is called the Joint Strike Fighter for a reason.

Last edited:
Diego Garcia is a Navy base, but it's far too small to support heavy bombers. I think Anderson AFB on Guam is big enough to support heavy bombers. It's been used in the past to support B-52 missions over North Vietnam during the war.

As for other bases, I think Kadena is the only one big enough to support the bombers.
Diego Garcia is actually well-documented as a heavy bomber base though.
And even if they cant the Buffs in Nam did fly nonstop from Conus to Nam and back.

The B52 has insane range.

The Bones and Wing has even more. The B2s only leave their base for missions. Including the 16 hour plus flights to Iraq and back.

So where the Bombers cant go the tankers can.
The problem is the flight time needed to go back, rearm and come again. It's ~16 hours from CONUS to (South)east Asia versus ~4 for Guam or ~8 for Diego Garcia, which either means you need a lot more bombers in the air to keep the heavy air support coming or the girls on the ground (water) have to go without for long periods.

What are some good Kancolle fics

Surprised no one's brought up Demetrious's Kant-O-Celle Quest. It's essentially 'Tom Clancy' meets Kancolle, hosted on 4chan's traditional gaming subforum.

It's been dormant for a few years now, but it's a good read, with a lot of effort put into syncreting Kancolle material with military fiction and anime-esque fanservice. To quote one commentator, "The Fat Greek can write".

There's also plenty of shenanigans transcribed, including but not limited to:
1. Male shipgirls
2. Sexy male shipgirls
3. Realistic and well-written depiction of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Survivor's Guilt in both the shipgirls and human sailors
4. An actual US Navy Rear Admiral telling off 4channers
5. Good fanart
6. Moving pictures as story aids

In addition to the main quest, which is helpfully transcribed on to SV and SB (Recommend the SV version, since it has all the links to fan material and art, some of which ties into the quest's main story itself).

Kant-O-Celle Quest [a Kantai Collection game, transcribed from 4chan]

Last edited:
Idea: USS Enterprise, CVN-65, permanently scarred and having PTSD of 'Nam, the Korean War, and the Iraq War.
She acts like a war vet, has flashbacks of everything she's done, and doesn't trust the government.
Oh joy, this is a recipe for disaster. It's like Rambo, but the Rambo is nuclear-powered.

Idea: USS Enterprise, CVN-65, permanently scarred and having PTSD of 'Nam, the Korean War, and the Iraq War.
She acts like a war vet, has flashbacks of everything she's done, and doesn't trust the government.
Oh joy, this is a recipe for disaster. It's like Rambo, but the Rambo is nuclear-powered.

You mean like all other shipgirls that ever existed? Why would she display symptoms of PTSD anymore overtly or stereotypically than other ships - many of whom have experienced more humiliating and traumatic fates?

Maybe it's just me, but it feels like pandering to the tired 'shell-shocked 'Nam vet' stereotype too much.

New equipment ranking reward.

Yura's ASW Seminar, short video voiced by Tanibe Yumi, Yura's voice actor. Blackboard illustrations also by her, while chibi Yura is by Fujikawa.

Or how about we reverse it? Like her saying and acting that she's scarred, have PTSD, having flashbacks, etc. When in reality she's a chuuni.

Also, Fletcher soon (tm) going by those ranking rewards.
So, about this name:

Frank Friday Fletcher - Wikipedia

The namesake of Fletcher-class, also considered American Father of Torpedoes. Also gain Medal of Honor during Veracruz occupation.

And he had a nephew that serves in Navy during WW2 (that, incidentally, also had Medal of Honor from Battle of Veracruz).

Frank Jack Fletcher - Wikipedia

Aaaand he served (as Task Force Commander) for a short time in USS Saratoga. Just, so you know.

The problem is the flight time needed to go back, rearm and come again. It's ~16 hours from CONUS to (South)east Asia versus ~4 for Guam or ~8 for Diego Garcia, which either means you need a lot more bombers in the air to keep the heavy air support coming or the girls on the ground (water) have to go without for long periods
Ah... I see the problem.

You want to use the bombers as air support.

Thats a really bad idea, especially with unguided munitions.

The Air Force try to do so in Nam, called Arclight Strikes. Basically B52s flying at 30k deopping their load on the Cong in support of the firebases. They will lay their bombs in four lines around tge outside of the base, removing jungle a often slowinv the Cong assualt.

Mind you this was during the time that the Air Force was being kinda... Useless.

Work well enough... Til a bomber nav system was off by a few degrees and basically wiped out an entire Army and Marine unit...

Using fighter bombers is safer for everyone and just used the Strategic Bombers for STRATEGIC needs. Where a 16 hour flights nothing.

Edit: Plus Strategic Bombers are not ment for quick reaction or multi missions a day. Thats the fighter bombers/meduim job. Strategic bombers are nent for one a day mission or one every other day. Even during the hight of the bombing campaign in WW2 no bomber squad did missions every day. They rotated between squadrons to give each a Day off for R&R. Cause from UK to Germany was a 12 hour trip for those old birds. Let alone the B29 flights over Japan.

Last edited:
I'll note that there are also the P-3 Orion and P-8 Poseidon as those can also carry bombs and missiles...

But these aircraft are optomized for Anti-Submarine Warfare. They're also packed with MAD detection gear, sonobuoys, and all sorts of equipment to hunt and find submarines. The P-3s could carry Harpoon missiles, but were only used for countering small attack craft, like the Russian Grisha-class fast attack boats. Their bomb bays were construted to carry honing torpedoes and depth charges. Gonna be hard to fit any Mk 84 GP bombs in there.

And on top of it all, none of the crews are trained to deliver bombs or missiles, except as part of anti-ship operations. It's way different to deliver homing torpedoes and depth charges than to drop regular low-drag bombs with any sort of targeting precision.

As the son-in-law of an A-1E Skyraider crew chief (1966-68) and cousin of an F-100 pilot (1968-69) in Vietnam, I take exception to that remark.
And as soneone who has a close shave with Air Force Friendly Fire...

Calling the time around 66-69 where the air force was severely hamstring by politics, basically sent the entire F105 line into the ground, late strikes, bombing friends, and had ZERO FUCKING OPSEC*...

Calling it as i see it.

*Communications leaks in SAC literally gave the North Vietnam about 8 hours of warning for a strike.

Besides it's not like the Army, Marines, or the Navy had good showings in that fucking conflict...

But these aircraft are optomized for Anti-Submarine Warfare. They're also packed with MAD detection gear, sonobuoys, and all sorts of equipment to hunt and find submarines. The P-3s could carry Harpoon missiles, but were only used for countering small attack craft, like the Russian Grisha-class fast attack boats. Their bomb bays were construted to carry honing torpedoes and depth charges. Gonna be hard to fit any Mk 84 GP bombs in there.

And on top of it all, none of the crews are trained to deliver bombs or missiles, except as part of anti-ship operations. It's way different to deliver homing torpedoes and depth charges than to drop regular low-drag bombs with any sort of targeting precision.
I meant more at the moment.

To be honest, it would probably be a good idea to revive the old "Cruise Missile Carrier Aircraft" in this case...

And as soneone who has a close shave with Air Force Friendly Fire...

Calling the time around 66-69 where the air force was severely hamstring by politics, basically sent the entire F105 line into the ground, late strikes, bombing friends, and had ZERO FUCKING OPSEC*...

Calling it as i see it.

*Communications leaks in SAC literally gave the North Vietnam about 8 hours of warning for a strike.

Besides it's not like the Army, Marines, or the Navy had good showings in that fucking conflict...

All I know is that Dad was running 12 hour shifts, arming and fueling Skyraiders during Khe Sahn and Hue`, not to mention missions flying cover for 'Dust-off" ops. Cousin Bill not only flew strike missions, but was used as a "fast FAC" under the callsign "Misty".

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I'd hardly call that "useless".

Calling as the guys doing the stuff saw it, that's all.

All I know is that Dad was running 12 hour shifts, arming and fueling Skyraiders during Khe Sahn and Hue`, not to mention missions flying cover for 'Dust-off" ops. Cousin Bill not only flew strike missions, but was used as a "fast FAC" under the callsign "Misty".

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I'd hardly call that "useless".

Calling as the guys doing the stuff saw it, that's all.
There is different type of useful in the military all depending on the level it at.

Dust off and strike missions are useful.

But if you hit the wrong target repeatedly, like that bridge in Vietnam the air force kept hitting thru the war thinking it was a major supply line and it wasn't, or mispoke and have a bomb drop to close to freindlies causing the need for the dust...

Basically the low level guys actually doing the work was doing useful shit.

But became a moot point when it was down for USELESS reasons..

Then there was the whole dont hit the truely important targets cause you might kill Soviet SAM operat-sorry "ADVISERS" who more then willing to kill you. Even through the Soviets swore up and down there was none...

Dont even get me start on the Army and Marines bullshit they did, which will have the APPROVAL OF THE FUCKING I-warcrimes-J-center-N...

Back