Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

Ah... I see the problem.

You want to use the bombers as air support.

Thats a really bad idea, especially with unguided munitions.

The Air Force try to do so in Nam, called Arclight Strikes. Basically B52s flying at 30k deopping their load on the Cong in support of the firebases. They will lay their bombs in four lines around tge outside of the base, removing jungle a often slowinv the Cong assualt.

Mind you this was during the time that the Air Force was being kinda... Useless.

Work well enough... Til a bomber nav system was off by a few degrees and basically wiped out an entire Army and Marine unit...

Using fighter bombers is safer for everyone and just used the Strategic Bombers for STRATEGIC needs. Where a 16 hour flights nothing.

Edit: Plus Strategic Bombers are not ment for quick reaction or multi missions a day. Thats the fighter bombers/meduim job. Strategic bombers are nent for one a day mission or one every other day. Even during the hight of the bombing campaign in WW2 no bomber squad did missions every day. They rotated between squadrons to give each a Day off for R&R. Cause from UK to Germany was a 12 hour trip for those old birds. Let alone the B29 flights over Japan.
My main reason for focusing on strategic bombers is because I have doubts about the range of tactical fighter-bombers out of China/Japan/inland Indochina to strike abyssal-controlled/contested Asia Pacific targets, even with standoff munitions, especially with carrier casualties and potential abyssal interception of tankers.

My main reason for focusing on strategic bombers is because I have doubts about the range of tactical fighter-bombers out of China/Japan/inland Indochina to strike abyssal-controlled/contested Asia Pacific targets, even with standoff munitions, especially with carrier casualties and potential abyssal interception of tankers.
The fighter-bombers did okay over Europe and parts of the Pacific. The Jugs, unlike Saving Private Ryan with its "P-51s. Tankbusters" would have you think, got real good at breaking nice things. Like trains. And convoys.

But if it's real hefty targets, like Ploesti or German hydro dams, strategic bombers are better.

So far, the Abyssals have shown no inclination to interdict air traffic at all outside of their area of operations. Air travel has so far proven to be a way to avoid Abyssal interference. Also, Abyssal aircraft have not shown any inclination to operate anywhere too far from ocean shores. They also don't seem to have range beyond unrefueled aircraft of a certain era. It's not like there are numerous swarms of Abyssal aircraft constantly patrolling all areas of controlled/contested territory.

At this time, the Abyssals seem to operate only in the tactical realm, with no discernable kind of coherent sense of operations or strategy. They seem to operate only at the "Find human ships at sea and installations on the coast, and then sink or destroy them" level.

It seems like modern aircraft and operations likely can take place outside of the range that would bring them into direct confrontation with the Abyssals. One trick that has been used to safeguard tanker aircraft, is to launch strike aircraft with max bomb loads, and minimal fuel. Once they're airborne, the strike aircraft get tanked ujp to full by mid-air refueling. The tanker stays in safe airspace, as the strike proceeds to target. This and other tactics have been employed for years to safeguard valuable assets like tankers.

Strategic bombers are a poor choice to attack moving targets, like an Abyssal fleet. They're far better going after something like an Installation Princess, or something similar that is stationary. Moving targets are more tactical in nature and the tactical strike fighters of the world are much better employed to take them out.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where else USAF bombers can station out of in the Asia Pacific region, what with Diego Garcia and Guam likely to be priority targets for the abyssals? Does Kadena have the required facilities? Or do they have to hoof it all the way back to the CONUS between missions?
Ot's basically base facilities. Hangars bog enougj for strategic bombers. Most air bases in the world run fighters, which are smaller. Best to ask this in SB's War Room.

I'm recall David Khoo mentioning that Changi theoretically might house bombers, given the base facilities and expansion the singaporeans have done.

As the son-in-law of an A-1E Skyraider crew chief (1966-68) and cousin of an F-100 pilot (1968-69) in Vietnam, I take exception to that remark.
There are only three crews who nobody has anything bad to say about their nam service: tankers, Jolly Greens, and Sandy.

SUDDENLY HOPPO-CHAN!
And Midway Hime

Also Midway might be able to use Unicorn's flying shields trick with her runways.

I don't really know of any proper crossovers, but some fics will use designs from the game to "fill in the blanks," as it were.
Actually are there even AL fanfics?

By extrapolating Rule 34 to fanfiction, one can guess that yes, there are AL fics somewhere. As I'm not interested in AL, I haven't bothered to look.

I have not managed to read through the entire thread yet but I notice most SI stories of Kancolle tends to be SI being a kanmusu or abyssal.

Out of curiousity, is there any stories where the SI is a fairy of a kanmusu? Also to diverge abit, are there any stories where instead of fairy pilots in aircraft, they are like kanmusu, but with plane parts instead of ship parts?

I have not managed to read through the entire thread yet but I notice most SI stories of Kancolle tends to be SI being a kanmusu or abyssal.

Out of curiousity, is there any stories where the SI is a fairy of a kanmusu? Also to diverge abit, are there any stories where instead of fairy pilots in aircraft, they are like kanmusu, but with plane parts instead of ship parts?
There was an SI by Skywalker (or is it Firefinder?) where he got SI-ed (or shanghaied) as USN 'Admiral'. But it was not continued for long time, sadly.

You mean a full setting crossover with the Sirens and the alternate WW2?
Sort of. I'm thinking of writing a story where, similar to the Arpeggio event in KC, a rift opens up in the Pacific, allowing for shipgirls, Sirens, and Abyssals to pass through either side.

The Eagles would hate the Japanese shipgirls at first, going as far as calling them "Saks" (a racial slur I came up with on the spot, pronounced "socks" or "sacks").

Many shipgirls involved with the first contact would definitely be confused, as would their respective command structures.

Nagato would certainly squee over Nagato, while Yamashiro could tell Yamashiro off for being a siscon.

.Out of curiousity, is there any stories where the SI is a fairy of a kanmusu(...)
Considered writing out a story with the SI as a Type 97 Torpedo Bomber pilot in Akagi's retinue a long time ago, failed due to having no idea how carrier-board life works.
are there any stories where instead of fairy pilots in aircraft, they are like kanmusu, but with plane parts instead of ship parts?
Launching/Landing is going to be a real mind-bending sight if the planemusu are full human-sized.

Also YOU'VE GOT A HOLE IN YOUR RIGHT WING and disintegrating Zeroes.

Actually are there even AL fanfics?

By extrapolating Rule 34 to fanfiction, one can guess that yes, there are AL fics somewhere. As I'm not interested in AL, I haven't bothered to look.
There are a fair number.

But once again, you need to look past the garden wall to find them.

In case people still haven't caught on, what I mean is there's a bunch of japanese fanfiction that's been published as doujins or strips in danbooru or manga sites, don't limit yourself to SB/SV/western fanfiction sites.

Considered writing out a story with the SI as a Type 97 Torpedo Bomber pilot in Akagi's retinue a long time ago, failed due to having no idea how carrier-board life works.

Launching/Landing is going to be a real mind-bending sight if the planemusu are full human-sized.

Also YOU'VE GOT A HOLE IN YOUR RIGHT WING and disintegrating Zeroes.
So you want a crossover with Strike Witches?

Last edited:
Back