[X] Talk to Third Squad. You do not know them well yet, and perhaps it would behoove you to learn.

I'd rather not ignore Atun and check what exactly the sort of stick that got stuck up his arse. The other benefit would be allowing us to find out persons of interests. Surely there's one or two in the full-strength squad.

[X] Talk to Muhammad.
-> [X] He traded poetry with his fiance, did he not? Talk to him about it, you've always been a fan.

Holy crap this is good stuff. I like how you manage to avoid lore dumps, and I have no idea what's going on in the wider world, yet I still can't wait for the next update.

[X] Talk to Third Squad. You do not know them well yet, and perhaps it would behoove you to learn.

I figure that our ultimate goal will be to survive until large-scale reinforcements arrive, because unless this version of the Ottomans is either led entirely by Enver Pasha-level "geniuses" or already stretched to the absolute limits the Russians grabbing a naval base this close to Istanbul is something that High Command will pull out all the stops to prevent.

I wish we could talk to Bilal too, but getting insight on a whole squad is more important to the unit as a body right now.

10. Third Squad
After you leave the medical tent you decide to drop in on Third Squad, albeit less formally than your previous visits. Get to know them properly. No matter how much you don't want to.

It's not malicious, no matter how much you dislike Atun. They're just the new meat, and so you fully expect all of them to die. You'll simply be meeting people and getting attached to them and seeing them as human and then they will die horribly. Screaming and in pain while you watch. Then you will be strong and tell the survivors to go die as well.

But getting to know them before they die is part of your job, and cowardice is not sufficient reason to shirk your duty.

You find Third Squad sprawled around their tent, finding ways to pass the time. Atun is missing, which may be for the best, but the others have clearly wasted no time making themselves comfortable in the Cove. One young man is whittling idly at a tree branch, two are playing chess, and the rest are split between watching the chess game or jeering at Osman as he sets about his punishment duty, namely cleaning equipment from yesterday's march and firefight.

You join the others watching the chess match. You're all seated on a large, flat rock overlooking the game, and the others are absorbed enough that they don't realize who you are until someone turns to ask how you think the game is going. Suddenly there is lots of saluting and elbowing each other and quiet apologies.

You smile and wave away their salutes, and soon enough you are talking about the game with the squad's Onbasi. He's a garrulous and energetic man by the name of Altan, possessed of the cheer and space of a man twice his size.

One game ends, the loser shuffles off to the bench while someone else volunteers for a match. The new man loses. As does Altan after him. And as another person stands you motion for them to wait and ask if you might have a match.

The chess-player freezes, studying you as if this is some sort of trick. Then, after a long moment, he nods and motions for you to sit. He snaps you a salute and says, "Nefer Zaki Enver, sir."

You motion for him to relax, and shake his hand. "Salaam Zaki," you say, "It's a pleasure." He smiles, a wan thing that you would rather like to see more of, and makes his first move.

You imagine yourself rather good at chess. You've played since you were a teenager and have been winning more often than you lost for some years now. You'd considered it an excellent icebreaker, even if an annoying number of the people you met playing were ethnonationalists, and had made a point to keep in practice against other officers on occasion.

So you are rather surprised that within a score of moves you are being absolutely dismantled. You're down a bishop and three pawns, you've wildly underdeveloped your pieces, and are fairly certain that you're about to lose control over the right half of the board. "Have you ever played professionally?" you ask.

"As a boy," replies Zaki, "Father made me quit." He shrugs, more in resignation than anything else. "Mate in three, Sir."

"Pardon?" you ask.

"He thought it was a game for Commoners and Slavs," replied Zaki with another, disinterested shrug, wholly missing the frown of distaste that flashes across your features. His face snaps up, making eye contact as he cringes, "Oh, you meant the-" You nod, and he swallows, then walks you through exactly how you lost.

"It was a pleasure, Nefer Zaki," you say, "I look forward to a rematch."

You shake hands and rise to rejoin the crowd on the rock, only to find Atun waiting for you. He snaps you a salute and says, "Mulazim Oziri. You're wanted at the command tent."

"Thank you for waiting, Cavus," you say, "I hope you were not there long." He grunts disapprovingly and you are quietly annoyed because surely if this was important it would have been important enough to interrupt a chess match over, no? And surely if it wasn't then it isn't worth being passive aggressive about.

But bringing it up would be rather gauche so you don't. Instead you gesture for him to lead the way and leave Third Squad to their own devices. Once you're out of earshot from third squad Atun begins to speak. "I wanted to talk to you about the unpleasantness with that marriage," he says and instantly a black wave of apprehension washes over you.

"I've made my decision, Cavus," you say, "In accordance with the laws of Emperor and Allah. I do not plan to relitigate it." Your tone is icy, perhaps more than is warranted but you know where this conversation is going. You legally cannot do anything about Atun's less pleasant attitudes but that does not mean you will tolerate them.

Naturally, Atun fails to take the hint. "I understand sir, I do. But I have to object,"he says "We can't have Arabs and Slavs doing this sort of thing. If you'd just shot him they would know that they can't marry our-" and you are in front of him, looming over him. You are quite tall when you try to be, and you imagine that Atun is realizing that now from how he recoils. How he leans away and folds in on himself and every ounce of vigor or venomous opinion disappears.

"Do you want to complete that sentence, Atun," you say quietly.

The rest of the walk to the command tent is mercifully silent.

The command tent itself is quiet. Most of the signalmen are dead, so to some degree you expected it. No messages and no directives from above make for a far less busy war room than the Northern Front. The wide, empty interior of the tent itself, the chairs and stools and the map upon the table are all things you are well used to. More comfortable than the norm, admittedly, with chairs taken from Kianid City and a unmarred map of the island instead of the mess of mismatched furniture and sketched notes and scattered iconography you're used to. But it is a familiar sight nonetheless.

What you don't expect is the angry Military Police officer waiting inside. You recognize Hassan Kemal by his prodigious height, prestigious moustache, and the awkward fact that he is both the head of MPs on Kianid and the Sehremini's brother. A fact that made him incredibly politically influential on the island but also meant that he had to recuse himself from most aspects of his job for fear of inviting a nepotism prosecution from an ambitious underling,

He is also furious. "What is the meaning of this, Yousuf!" calls Hasan Kemal. His face is turning an unseemly shade of red and a finger is thrust up under your chin like a bony knife. "I understand the others undermining me, but you? What did you do?"

You blink in confusion. "Nefer Muhammad was punished to the full extent of the law, Sir," you respond.

"Not him! This…abomination of an order you've saddled me with," he yells, practically flinging a crumpled missive in your face. You look at it, reading over the order as he yells.

SITUATION POLITICALLY SENSITIVE. INFORMATION BLACKOUT. RELATED INVESTIGATIONS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY QUALIFIED UNITS.​

Hasan is yelling about how he thought you better than the worst sort of Young Turk and you can feel Atun bristle at it but it all feels rather unimportant. Because you get what this is. You get what this means. Command is ignoring you, they're trying to handle this quietly. Treating it as a matter of cloak and daggers and feints in the war rather than an existential threat to everyone on the island.

"I didn't do this, Hasan," you say. You've interrupted him but thankfully your words stop his tirade, "But I know why it's happening. What's the case?"

He's speechless for a moment, moustache still aquiver with repressed rage, but eventually decides that an explanation is in order. "A trio of young officers, Young Turks the lot of them. Suspected of desertion and assault. And if the old Bulgar they've put in the hospital doesn't pull through, murder," says Hasan, "Open and shut and obvious enough that even I can't be condemned for following up."

"Sir, have they been missing for less than two days? Perhaps three?" Asks Atun. Some dumb, powertripping instinct, still annoyed with his earlier comments wants to reprimand him for talking out of turn. But you recognize it for the stupid impulse it is and ignore it. "And you got the bad news this morning?"

"How did you know that?" Asks Hasan. He notices the grimace flashing between you and Atun. Gets past the indignity at being denied the chance to finally do his job long enough to recognize the tension and fear. "What's going on?"

The gears are already turning. It's three men, probably not well armed if they were off duty and beating Slavs. There may be more disappearances but you'll hear about those, and may be expected to second men to them regardless. Or there may be another engagement in the meantime, one you will be ill prepared to deal with if you overcommit, on the other hand, you've seen what this thing can do and you'd rather Kemal and a bunch of innocent MPs not get murdered trying to arrest disorderly racists.

A squad will have to do, and you have just the one in mind. "That's classified," you say, "But I'm giving you a squad of my men. They'll give you everything you need if this looks like anything out of the ordinary."

Who are you sending to aid the MPs?
[ ] First Squad. You can trust Faysal with independent action, you can trust Mehmet to know the law, you can trust the squad to bring themselves back alive.
[ ] Second Squad.. After the incident with the Russians you don't want them making high stakes, politically important decisions without oversight.
[ ] Third Squad. Atun commands your only full strength squad. If this is just some politically-inclined officers choosing a bad time to be idiots he's a good choice to de-escalate.
[ ] Fourth Squad. Elazar has communication equipment if something goes down as well as most of your heavy weapons and experience with the foe in case he runs into something nasty. Besides, having Young Turks arrested by colonial subjects is its own reward.

Last edited:
[X] Fourth Squad. Elazar has communication equipment if something goes down as well as most of your heavy weapons and experience with the foe in case he runs into something nasty. Besides, having Young Turks arrested by colonial subjects is its own reward.

The ability to report back I think is the biggest advantage. There's something to be said for numbers or autonomy, but I think that being able to be informed quicker would be best.

[X] Third Squad. Atun commands your only full strength squad. If this is just some politically-inclined officers choosing a bad time to be idiots he's a good choice to de-escalate.

[X] Fourth Squad. Elazar has communication equipment if something goes down as well as most of your heavy weapons and experience with the foe in case he runs into something nasty. Besides, having Young Turks arrested by colonial subjects is its own reward.

The communication gear is very good here. This way we can be kept informed if some shit goes wrong and react, hopefully, in time. Instead of finding out something has gone horribly wrong after everyone has already died.

Last edited:

You legally cannot do anything about Amun's less pleasant attitudes
Few no messages and no directives from above make for a far less busy war room
He's speechless for a moment, moustache still aquiver with repressed rage, but eventually decides that an explanation isin order.
Or there may be another engagement in the meantime, one you will be ill prepared todeal with if you overcommit,

Well, we are keeping the 1st squad to ourselves, so it's between 3rd and 4th.

[x] Fourth Squad. Elazar has communication equipment if something goes down as well as most of your heavy weapons and experience with the foe in case he runs into something nasty. Besides, having Young Turks arrested by colonial subjects is its own reward.

We need intel and recon, particularly with this information blackout. Also, I don't trust Atun to put his full effort behind arresting people he seems to share a lot of sympathies with, and whoever goes out on this mission needs to be taking it deadly serious.

[X] Third Squad. Atun commands your only full strength squad. If this is just some politically-inclined officers choosing a bad time to be idiots he's a good choice to de-escalate.

SITUATION POLITICALLY SENSITIVE. INFORMATION BLACKOUT. RELATED INVESTIGATIONS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY QUALIFIED UNITS.​
Hasan is yelling about how he thought you better than the worst sort of Young Turk and you can feel Atun bristle at it but it all feels rather unimportant. Because you get what this is. You get what this means. Command is ignoring you, they're trying to handle this quietly. Treating it as a matter of cloak and daggers and feints in the war rather than an existential threat to everyone on the island.

gggggoooooodammit

Tbh I thought this was pretty likely, especially since the vote was couched as "what do you advise" rather than "what do you do". I imagine that, like, the general attitude is probably that the impending Russian attack takes precedence over some weird freak anomaly (potentially letting the more sensitive notes be taken might have helped but there's really no guarantee) combined with a generally conservative attitude and unwillingness to rock the boat. It doesn't help that the Thing in the Box is pretty much a weird fucked up Black Swan event, it's almost entirely out of context in terms of what it is; all we know is that it's comparable to the shit faced in Italy but even that's more of a reference point than a real, meaningful gauge. I mean, tbf to Command, they've been shot all to shit and are still sorting themselves out bureaucratically it seems like (and we have no trusted immediate superior to intercede on our behalf), they probably haven't seen the interior of the sub with their own eyes (which makes an, uh, impression since it's hard to convey "palpable aura of dread, a lingering patina of naked hostility and malevolence towards humans, mixed with a general dose of contempt for mankind" in an official reports), and we're cheating a little since we know that this is a horror quest. So shit's gonna get worse at some point and their measures will, most likely, be ineffective.

Since the thing I think they're missing, the thing of most significance, is that the Creature, the Monster, has a plan that's probably independent of whatever it is the Russian want. I imagine there's some senior staff officers arguing, quite sensibly from their perspective, that clearly since it was acquired by a Russian agent and came on a Russian sub, it's a possibly-rogue Russian weapon working to fulfill, well, Russian designs. Rather than a player, a faction, in its own right.

Necromorph Dracula Tepes bby.

fuck da racists (also we know that there's about half the submarine's compliment worth of brains and bodies missing, there's no telling how many they'll find dug in to whatever den they've acquired). And, as for now, we've still got relative cover and a bit of a buffer on our side. So we're not leaving ourselves quite as exposed by sending our heavy weapons guys.

The comms gear sells me.

11. Mistake
"Cavus Elazar is a veteran, and his squad won't let the Young Turks off easy," you say, "They'll serve you well." Atun gives you a dark look, but you are both well aware that it is toothless.

"This better be serious," replies Hasan darkly, but he gives no more protest as you formalize the handover. By Maghrib, Elazar and Fourth Squad have been briefed and sent out. The next day, after Fajr, you find yourself talking about the situation with Mirliza Binali.

Binali is a short man, stocky with a great beard and trim moustache in a distinct reversal of normal style and army regulations. He has a great love for walking artillery and a tremendous self-assuredness that has carried him into his position, but that same assuredness has carried you into disaster before. You trusted him once, but now you watch him carefully, unsure if each judgement and order is good experience and unshakeable self confidence or merely a stubborn inability to see that he might be wrong.

He sits at the head of a long table, joined by a dozen officers from the division. A quick glance tells you that you've not been selected based on rank, but by how long you've served in the First. Many high ranking officers are missing, most notably Binali's own second in command.

"Command's a mess," he says, "Messages have been going to the wrong people, Intelligence seems to be either panicking or incompetent, and most of us don't have orders. So unless you get explicit orders we've to sort this ourselves." He passes a folder into the middle of the table. "I received this intelligence brief this morning. As far as I can tell, they're command's best leads as to what our enemy is doing on the island. I want all of you to get familiar with them, if Command doesn't assign you to the cases in the next day, I will."

"And everyone else, sir?" asks Miralay Ismet Inonu.

"Mostly, fortifying the cove. The new men will be searching the woods for the creature, but they won't find much," says Binali with a shrug, "Kianida has hidden smugglers and outlaws since Sokollu Pasha. If we find it before it makes its move, it will be through intelligence and investigation. Not glorified foxhunting."

The meeting goes on for some time, but little of it is of import. Details of defense and logistics. Reiterating that this is now a warzone, and men are expected to act like it rather than waltz into town for hookah, alcohol, or companionship. Talks of maps and endless questions about the Enemy and the Russians.

Three hours later you're called to where the outer trenchline meets the road. An intelligence officer and two of Kianid city's four taxi drivers stand next to two freshly-painted troop trucks and a rather more worn car.

The intelligence officer is a tall, handsome man in a well-pressed uniform. Strong jaw, clean shaven, and a pair of expensive-looking glasses resting atop his peaked nose. He salutes when he sees you, a wide smile on his face. "The trucks are for your use, sir," he says, "Until you've finished your investigation."

"I apologize, officer," you say, "I was unaware I was investigating. Have new orders come in?"

His smile disappears with impressive speed. "Your orders were sent to your commanding officer, sir," says the officer, "He should have briefed you by now."

There is a short pause as you process this. Wonder if, perhaps, Binali Pasha had forgotten to brief you when you spoke at Fajr. Then it dawns upon you that your legal commanding officer is dead of syphilis in Istanbul.

"Did they send my orders to Istanbul?" You ask.

The officer pales. An expression of dawning horror, the horror of a man who has realized he has made an enormous mistake and that there is no-one else to take the blame, sweeps across his features. "Sir, standard procedure is to-" he starts.

"You sent my orders to Istanbul?" you interrupt. The officer tenses and recoils and you have to stop yourself from snapping at him further. Instead you breathe, let the tension go. Wrestle down the urge to yell at this man further for his mistake. Instead, you carefully control your tone as you try to salvage the situation. "What do you remember about my orders, Officer?"

"It was about the disappearances, sir," he said, "I had sent Mirliva Binali a casefile."

"I've read Binali's files," you say, "If I show them to you can you tell me what I'm meant to look into?"

There is an audible sigh of relief, and you lead him to Binali Pasha's tent. He is rather less forgiving of the mistake than you are, and the officer is subjected to a fierce dressing down before he can clarify your orders to you.

Hopefully, he got them right this time.

What lead are you investigating?
The second and third place votes will be investigated by the other platoons in your company.
[ ] A farmer near the tiny fishing villages of Crapets has had several sheep killed at pasture, likely by local boys from the fishing village of Crapets. It wouldn't be worth looking into, but last night an agri-walker was stolen, and several sheep carried off. It's probably nothing, but you don't want your enemy to have access to even makeshift armor.
[ ] A trio of the richer boys in Crapets have gone missing. To a degree this is normal, they often take off to other villages to woo girls or get into fights. However they've been gone for longer than usual, and the normal flurry of complaints and scuffles that accompanies them haven't shown up.
[ ] A married couple from Diyarsokollu has gone missing. It's entirely possible that it's a murder, she's a Bulgar and he's a Turk, but considering the timing this seems likely to be related to our enemy.
[ ] There's been an unusual accident and disappearance rate at a cannery in Sokollusehir for some time now, and the Sehremini's been putting pressure on the police not to look into it too hard. This one's almost certainly a union dispute, Mahmud Pasha's hired a detective agency to guard his properties across the island and the problems have been reported and ignored for a few months now.

[X] A farmer near the tiny fishing villages of Crapets has had several sheep killed at pasture, likely by local boys from the fishing village of Crapets. It wouldn't be worth looking into, but last night an agri-walker was stolen, and several sheep carried off. It's probably nothing, but you don't want your enemy to have access to even makeshift armor.

[X] A farmer near the tiny fishing villages of Crapets has had several sheep killed at pasture, likely by local boys from the fishing village of Crapets. It wouldn't be worth looking into, but last night an agri-walker was stolen, and several sheep carried off. It's probably nothing, but you don't want your enemy to have access to even makeshift armor.

[X] A trio of the richer boys in Crapets have gone missing. To a degree this is normal, they often take off to other villages to woo girls or get into fights. However they've been gone for longer than usual, and the normal flurry of complaints and scuffles that accompanies them haven't shown up.

Back