[X] A farmer near the tiny fishing villages of Crapets has had several sheep killed at pasture, likely by local boys from the fishing village of Crapets. It wouldn't be worth looking into, but last night an agri-walker was stolen, and several sheep carried off. It's probably nothing, but you don't want your enemy to have access to even makeshift armor.

THE SHEEP WILL HAVE THEIR REVENGE

[X] A married couple from Diyarsokollu has gone missing. It's entirely possible that it's a murder, she's a Bulgar and he's a Turk, but considering the timing this seems likely to be related to our enemy.

[X] A farmer near the tiny fishing villages of Crapets has had several sheep killed at pasture, likely by local boys from the fishing village of Crapets. It wouldn't be worth looking into, but last night an agri-walker was stolen, and several sheep carried off. It's probably nothing, but you don't want your enemy to have access to even makeshift armor.

Someone or something has that walker.

Actually, what are our options for dealing with armoured vehicles, given that this is WW1? I imagine anti tank technology would be slightly more developed since dieselpunk walkers have been around for longer than OTL tanks, but I want to know if we have options for dealing with armour outside of "call for artillery support".

[X] A married couple from Diyarsokollu has gone missing. It's entirely possible that it's a murder, she's a Bulgar and he's a Turk, but considering the timing this seems likely to be related to our enemy.

[X] A trio of the richer boys in Crapets have gone missing. To a degree this is normal, they often take off to other villages to woo girls or get into fights. However they've been gone for longer than usual, and the normal flurry of complaints and scuffles that accompanies them haven't shown up.

Ah... Can anyone tell me what an agri-walker even is?

I don't know what an agri-walker is, but it sounds awesome.

Actually, what are our options for dealing with armoured vehicles, given that this is WW1? I imagine anti tank technology would be slightly more developed since dieselpunk walkers have been around for longer than OTL tanks, but I want to know if we have options for dealing with armour outside of "call for artillery support".

You have a platoon mortar and your marksmen have access to K-Bullets, and in a pinch you can try to get close and fling a grenade at the top or legs. Many models are lightly armored enough that the Platoon HMG in Squad One stands a chance of penetrating, and ventilation and toxic fumes are still a problem so Squad Four's flamethrower may manage a mobility kill by disabling the crew or forcing them to turn off the engine so they don't choke to death.

Binali is a short man, stocky with a great beard and trim moustache in a distinct reversal of normal style and army regulations. He has a great love for walking artillery and a tremendous self-assuredness that has carried him into his position, but that same assuredness has carried you into disaster before. You trusted him once, but now you watch him carefully, unsure if each judgement and order is good experience and unshakeable self confidence or merely a stubborn inability to see that he might be wrong.

He sits at the head of a long table, joined by a dozen officers from the division. A quick glance tells you that you've not been selected based on rank, but by how long you've served in the First. Many high ranking officers are missing, most notably Binali's own second in command.

Mmmnnnnthisisconcerning. On the one hand it's gratifying in a weird way to see that our Chargen choice for what we've lost has had meaningful, tangible impact and the shadow of Command's absolute fucked-upness has loomed pretty large over most every update in some capacity or the other. On the other our, uh, current de facto superior is a intelligent, confident, highly motivated dude who is chronically incapable of admitting when he's fucked up which is a dangerous cocktail all on its own. Because he's going to make just enough right calls that we can't quietly treat him as a useless load and he's going to be able to justify what are pretty bad calls with compelling reasoning or sheer force of personality; if we're not careful dude can fuck us hard. And per the narration, going forward we really need to carefully weigh whatever it is he tells us.

And the fact that the guy's partial to the big fuckin' hammer (while an admirable trait) is kinda a clue on its own I think. He's got something of a heavy hand to him and we're currently in a situation that requires a lot of finesse. And we're already seeing some of that I think; rather than reaching out to construct a, like, more comprehensive arrangement so everyone's on the same page, his solution to the chain of command being in tatters is to fall back on what's essentially nepotism. And while that's not, like, utterly reprehensible and is even a solid call in its own way we're nnnooooot in a position where we should be fracturing shit even further. Survival hinges on the Ottomans leveraging their coordination and superior numbers, but right now the various platoons are already straining at the seams, tugging against the whole in half a dozen different directions.

And his decision to freeze out a number of high ranking people could fuck us pretty hard overall.

Anyway!

[X] There's been an unusual accident and disappearance rate at a cannery in Sokollusehir for some time now, and the Sehremini's been putting pressure on the police not to look into it too hard. This one's almost certainly a union dispute, Mahmud Pasha's hired a detective agency to guard his properties across the island and the problems have been reported and ignored for a few months now.

We need to keep in mind that the Monster is clever and opportunistic, and it seems to thrive in conditions of strife, paranoia, and violence. It's also apparently got something of a fucked up sense of humor. So, uh, an industrial area that's being kept on a short leash and legally low-key terrorized by the owner and his private !Pinkerton army? That's a solid starting point and the guy even has every reason to buy the Monster time and cover up whatever, uh, "excesses" or incidental evidence may surface for his own sake. The culture there is pretty clearly one of fear and intimidation.

It's also one of the most politically sensitive operations and is best served by Oziri and First Squad's more non-combat specialized toolkit (knowledge of the law is gonna be fucking handy here, as well as a smuggler's eye). More than the others it really demands our personal attention imo. It's not the kind of thing we should pass up or pawn off.

THE SHEEP WILL HAVE THEIR REVENGE

[X] There's been an unusual accident and disappearance rate at a cannery in Sokollusehir for some time now, and the Sehremini's been putting pressure on the police not to look into it too hard. This one's almost certainly a union dispute, Mahmud Pasha's hired a detective agency to guard his properties across the island and the problems have been reported and ignored for a few months now.

12. Heist
You're investigating sheep.

Well, technically you're pursuing a stolen agrimech but for all intents and purposes you are pursuing stolen and murdered sheep.

It's a poor explanation for why two trucks full of crack soldiers have been put on the case, mind. Even if 'full' is a bit of a misnomer, for with Second at half strength and Fourth off helping the MPs the trucks are downright roomy. About thirty men across two cabs and truck beds meant for something closer to sixty.

Bilal's driving your truck, and you're up front with him. Nefer Zaki is driving the other, with Turgut riding up front.The Kianid seaside rolls by to your left, all woody cliffs and rocky beaches. To your right trees rise and dip with the rolling of hills and the gentle rumbling of the truck, restricting your view of the woods.

Bilal's a far better driver than Zaki and it shows. You can see the poor boy's truck jump and rattle as it rides over a road meant for horses, and periodically you're forced to slow and wait for Zaki to catch up. It is one of these times, engine idling, that you see the harvest-walker trundle into view.

It's small as walkers go, maybe twelve feet of steel and iron. Dark smoke belches from its roof, and canvas is wrapped around much of the torso and back. It drags a trailer loaded high with logs behind it, and its brass arms are mismatched. A large claw and a set of saws of different sizes and shape, both visibly newer than the rest of the lumbering thing. Bilal chuckles as it begins to cut into a tree, and turns to you.

"You know, sir," he says, "I used to drive one of those as a boy." You merely raise an eyebrow and wait for him to continue. "That thing must've been a Qaf mining walker, twenty years back. Jockeyed them for five years when they first rolled off the lines. Metal gleaming in the sun. Calligraphy and frescoes stitched across the canvas. Filled with smoke and sweat quick, but you barely cared. Cause it was you and a buddy, and the sun reflecting off the emerald mountain while you worked. This, just, this joy in being half-delirious and horribly dehydrated, dragging blocks of emerald and jugs of Nar behind you."

"It sounds incredible," you lie, for the description brings to mind memories of the acrid stench of smoke and burning flesh in your lungs. Dying men in molten coffins and the screams a flamethrower elicits from even the most valiant soldiers. But you never understood walker jockeys, and so see no reason to make an issue of it, "Why leave?"

He looks out the window as the old mech begins to lever the severed tree trunk into its trailer. "No glory in it. The scots wanted mech pilots, and they offered money, glory, and dead franks," he lies, "And I had more experience than their best. What more could a kid ask for?"

The rest of the ride passes in relative silence. It takes you little more than an hour to get your first glimpse of the victimized farm, a great stretch of cleared land and rickety fencing that smells strongly of sheep droppings. You soon turn down an isolated road, better paved than the one you had come down, and soon begin to see sheep and goats wandering the meadows and the silhouette of a large house rise over the next hill.

The farm itself is modest, but the farmhouse must be ancient. It's three stories tall, worked stone and polished wood in some old bulgar style in a pointed clash with its more grounded surroundings. It is dilapidated now, but once the family that lived here must have been quite rich. A few buildings and storehouses are scattered across the land around the farmhouse, as well as a garage that appears to have had a ragged gash ripped through its roof. You imagine the Walker was stored there, once.

You pull up in front of the farmhouse and Zaki's truck jerks to a stop behind you. The great double doors open, a tall, gaunt man emerging from within. He supports himself with a cane, and a wispywhispy grey beard droops from his face. You hop out of the truck with a Salaam and a smile, striding over as quickly as you can.

"Mulazim Yousuf Oziri," you say, "Napoleonic First Artillery. I'm here about your walker."

The man glances at the two troop trucks full of men behind you, then gives you a quizzical look. "Thank you for coming, Sir Yousuf," he says, "But I had imagined this a matter for the police?"

"I'm afraid I am as confused as you are, sir," you lie, "But I assure you we will act with all the professionalism of a police investigation."

There's a scene of quiet mulling. A small boy pokes his head out the door, clearly the man's grandson, or perhaps even great grandson, and the farmer turns back and gestures furiously for him to get back inside. Someone pulls them in, then closes the door and the farmer gives a pointed glance towards your sidearm. "As you say, sir," he says, "How might I help?"

"A name, for our report, and a description of last night's events," you say, "You'd mentioned previous incidents?"

The man gives you an odd look, stone silent, before breaking into a quiet chuckle. "I apologize, Officer," he says, "I am Radu. I had, and I pray you forgive me, thought you were here to rob me!"

"Are things that bad?" you ask. You lean in, smile, eyes, posture, all tailored by years of experience to get him to open up just a little bit more. Trust you as a possibly sympathetic ear instead of a potentially murderous soldier. It's an approach you've had some experience with. Years of listening to the recounting of some atrocity, act of violence, ancient trauma, or mere stroke of bad luck. It's a skill you'd practiced long before you entered the army and you imagine that it's one that will serve you well when the war finally ends.

He is hesitant to answer, and when he does he speaks slowly, picking his words as he goes. "I did not think so, Officer," he says, "Not until last night, but I am a rich, Christian, Bulgar and there are poor, Muslim, Turks about." Your reaction seems to reassure him, and his explanation becomes less circumspect as he continues.

"Dumb boys from Crapets, mostly," explains Radu, "They come over in the night, cut a fence, push over a goat, maybe steal a sheep or shear dirty words into its fur. Little things. Occasionally the idiot detectives from the Tap would shoot some animals for sport, and less often still they would refuse to recompense me for it. But the new Detectives are better, and they haven't hurt anyone or stolen anything serious before."

"There's a Qaf Tap near here?" you ask.

"Another mile down the road. One of Mahmud Pasha's," he says, "The workers are good people. Local. But the Detectives are not. There have been new ones, recently. Haven't shot any sheep yet, but I don't trust them, they are…" He looks past you, gesturing subtly at Bilal.

You resist the urge to roll your eyes and instead ask him to elaborate..

And elaborate he does. Tensions have been getting worse recently, there's a Young Turk chapter in Crapets now, and there have been fights of late. Slogans have been getting angrier, graffiti crueler. He thought it would pass, but late last night one of his servants awoke him, said she heard something going on with the garage. He had thought it was his son, tinkering with the thing again in the night, and simply told everyone to go back to bed. They only actually got up when they heard screaming sheep, and got out to see the garage ripped open, several sheep trod upon, and others missing. He'd had to shoot two of them to put them out of their misery, for their spines were broken by the thing.

You thank him for his time and let him go inside as you and your men take a look at the scene of the crime. The tracks are obvious, they're hours old and probably of less use as they go into the woods, but they're at least relatively fresh. And if the pilot was particularly inexperienced, say, a drunken seventeen year old, it's entirely possible that you have a good trail.

On the other hand, you'd have to ditch the Trucks. Crapets isn't far, you could ride into town and use your numbers to split up and assess the situation. Might step on Third Platoon's toes as they investigate the missing teenagers, but it's entirely possible that your cases are related. You've joyridden a motorboat as a dumb teenager trying to impress your fiance, why wouldn't some other teenager joyride an agri-walker?

The Qaf Tap is another possibility. Since the Detectives are armed you may want to make contact in case you need to conscript them later. In addition, a stolen walker's going to need a supply of Qaf emerald and Nar sooner or later. Hell, it's close enough that there may even be witnesses. Or maybe the new detectives thought a new Walker would be a better use of their time than shooting up some sheep.

Where to?
[ ] Follow those tracks into the wood. If they're not a particularly good pilot, they may have left a trail for you to follow. [You must leave the Trucks at the farmhouse, they can't go offroad]
[ ] Head to Crapets. There may be some clue as to who's been sheep-rustling and who might feasibly have stolen and hidden a Walker. You may also learn something about the rising tensions.
[ ] Check out the Qaf tap in the woods. The staff may be your best shot at a direct witness to whatever the hell happened.

Last edited:
It's small as walkers go, maybe twelve feet of steel and iron. Dark smoke belches from its roof, and canvas is wrapped around much of the torso and back. It drags a trailer loaded high with logs behind it, and its brass arms are mismatched. A large claw and a set of saws of different sizes and shape, both visibly newer than the rest of the lumbering thing. Bilal chuckles as it begins to cut into a tree, and turns to you.

"You know, sir," he says, "I used to drive one of those as a boy." You merely raise an eyebrow and wait for him to continue. "That thing must've been a Qaf mining walker, twenty years back. Jockeyed them for five years when they first rolled off the lines. Metal gleaming in the sun. Calligraphy and frescoes stitched across the canvas. Filled with smoke and sweat quick, but you barely cared. Cause it was you and a buddy, and the sun reflecting off the emerald mountain while you worked. This, just, this joy in being half-delirious and horribly dehydrated, dragging blocks of emerald and jugs of Nar behind you."

Man I love little touches like this, just the allusions to the setting and history and the divergent weirdness of it without sitting the audience down and lecturing in a dry-as-fuck tone about "yes well x-years ago, as you know, Mt. Qaf appeared and revolutionized-" etc etc. Things have been easy enough to follow thus far imo, and the general brand of, like, "oh it's dieselpunk stuff" has worked to fill in a bunch of the ambient details if that makes sense? Worldbuilding in an organic, engaging way is really hard is what I'm saying. Much less communicating the setting backstory and lore. So props to Havoc for managing it in an engaging conversational way that's a neat character moment for Bilal and Oziri both.

Rip Oziri.

Dude's just, like, 60% PTSD by volume, poor guy.

Also fuck me, the village is right out. Can you imagine Third Squad in the village with a new Young Turks chapter? Yeah I'm sure Atun's gonna find all kindsa stuff there.

"Ah, you see sir not to worry for I have conclusively proven that there was not monster on the submarine at all but, rather, a host of Christians and Jews with degenerate skull shapes. Now if you'll just hold my calipers in this lecture I will-"

Dude's probably just going to pat some racist fuckbois in the back and we can't really get involved with that now. And similarly the trail through the woods is just pure horror-movie waiting to happen. Although I suppose it's possible that it might have been actually stolen by a drunk 17 year old who then, uh, proceeded to have the most unfortunate coincidental meeting of his life on a dark night.

[X] Check out the Qaf tap in the woods. The staff may be your best shot at a direct witness to whatever the hell happened.

Direct witnesses, possibly conscripts (and the new !Pinkerton types seem less overall shitty so, hey, maybe they can at least follow orders without shooting some minorities or poors in the process), and a way to gauge the severity of the situation imo. If stores of Qaf emeralds and Nar are missing this might actually Be Something (although, admittedly, we don't know if the Thing in the Box requires them to make its monsters. It might be able to run them purely off of fucked up necromorph stuff although idk if that's likely).

Last edited:
[X] Check out the Qaf tap in the woods. The staff may be your best shot at a direct witness to whatever the hell happened.

[X] Follow those tracks into the wood. If they're not a particularly good pilot, they may have left a trail for you to follow. [You must leave the Trucks at the farmhouse, they can't go offroad]

Follow the trail while there's a trail to follow. Everything else likely isn't going anywhere.

Yeah I am not getting involved with the ethnic tensions here, we are army, not social works or diplomats. Get hard evidence, get it to people who have training or experience and get out is for the best.

[X] Follow those tracks into the wood. If they're not a particularly good pilot, they may have left a trail for you to follow. [You must leave the Trucks at the farmhouse, they can't go offroad]

Anyways fresh tracks have a due date. So get to them before that happens.

Last edited:
[x] Check out the Qaf tap in the woods. The staff may be your best shot at a direct witness to whatever the hell happened.

although, admittedly, we don't know if the Thing in the Box requires them to make its monsters. It might be able to run them purely off of fucked up necromorph stuff although idk if that's likely

It's already confirmed they can make their monstrosities purely out of fucked up necromorph shit, remember?

[ ] Elazar says that each of the abominations was human, no Nar in them. In addition, they didn't seem to have extra flesh or machinery. It needs people, animals, and equipment to make its monsters with.

It's already confirmed they can make their monstrosities purely out of fucked up necromorph shit, remember?

Ahhhhh. Hrm.

HORROR MOVIE SHIT IT IS :D

I am sure we are at absolutely no risk of being ambushed by some plant based necromantic monstrosity disguising itself as part of the woods. Nope. No chance of that happening at all.

Back