[X] Nah, Man - Leave the man be.

[X] Reveal Cards - Instead of sparring with Uncle Shen, Zane will approach him with his findings about the Godcards and they will experiment to find what kind of powers Uncle Shen receives from them.

[X] Uncle Battle - Spar with Uncle Shen as intended. Leave the reveal about the Godcards for another day and time.

[X] Reveal Cards - Instead of sparring with Uncle Shen, Zane will approach him with his findings about the Godcards and they will experiment to find what kind of powers Uncle Shen receives from them.

[X] Uncle Battle - Spar with Uncle Shen as intended. Leave the reveal about the Godcards for another day and time.

It appears that [X] Nah, Man and [X] Uncle Battle are the victors. Expect the update sometime later tomorrow or maybe after tomorrow. I'm having a slightly busy mid-week schedule right now, but I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, accumulate as much Ambrosia as you can.

So I'm not sure how much material could be gotten out of having Gordon Freeman from Freeman's Mind getting a godcard, but what if we tried assigning Godcards to fictional characters or Vtuber on Screen Personas?

Light or L from Death Note = Yama(Hinduism, This one's one Birdsie already answered in Discord)
Gordon Freeman from Freeman's Mind = Enki(Sumerian)
The Doomslayer from Doom 2016/Eternal = Tulkas the Valar(The Silmarillion)
Harry Du Bois from Disco Elysium = Dionysus(Greek)

finally got around to reading this quest. I find it interesting that singular cards can represent multiple gods, since we have one card representing both boreads. It makes me wonder if gods can be present on multiple cards, since Phobos and Deimos seem like another possible god card, except ours only has Phobos by himself. do we need to worry about someone having a godcard of the olympians as a group?

based on discord conversations, Godcards can use anything as a God, up to and including abstract concepts which literally nobody worships, but which at least one person may have represented in some way. However, they have an extremely strong bias towards things we would actually consider 'Gods', as evidenced by us getting the Boreads rather than Loyalty or Jupiter's Big Red Spot as a godcard.
'the olympians as a group' is a fair bit of a stretch in terms of godness, but not nearly as much as 'loyalty', so I'd guess the likelihood of it is much lower than, say, 'phobos', but not as low as loyalty. It would probably be a difficult card to be compatible with, as well, since it's composed of a strife-filled family? compatibility scales with executive dysfunction, your brain is taken to represent the olympic pantheon and the worse you are at life the better your compatibility is.
I don't Think Godcard power scales with feats, so much as a mix of compatibility and time, so the olympic pantheon card probably wouldn't be more of a threat than any other on the whole, though I guess it might come with some kind of 'suppress greek/roman gods' effect? that seems more like a zeus thing to me though.

Chapter 8 - Fist Like Rosebud
Fist Like Rosebud

At night, Chinatown was something beautiful. It wasn't quite night yet, but almost - it was that ephemeral transitional state between day and night, and the early periods of this transition displayed a wan, distant reflection of what it'd be in a few simple turns of the shorthand on the clock. There were hundreds of packed tourists wandering in streams around the tight, narrow streets; disorderly and massive, like an ocean of whirling currents and unpredictable motion. Some of them stopped near stalls or walked into shops and restaurants, disappearing from traffic, but often, an equal amount was leaving those same places to join it. The peasant marked howled with laughter, loud speech, footsteps, and other sounds which tingled the ear for their strangeness. It was like a combination of music and painting, but drawn and composed in reality.

As one might expect, Shen's Famous Foods was no less filled than at any other time of the day. It was, oddly, the mornings that were always the calmest. The closer one approached to the dead of night, the more active the patrons seemed to become. All of it was befitting for the city that never sleeps.

As Zane came in and stepped past the recognizant qipao-wearing lady at the reception, dressed in nothing but his day outfit - significantly too casual for a place like this - he surprised no one in the backroom lounge. As if possessed of some kind of precognitive talent, Shen was already looking over the small window from the kitchen.

"There you are, Zane. A few minutes late, even," Shen said cheekily. He was in the kitchen, helping the cooks and barking orders at them from time to time in English.

"I don't remember making an appointment," the teen dryly replied, setting down his bag next to the entrance as he sat down on the open couch. He pointedly didn't engage his uncle's ability to tell the future. If asked, the old man would give some vague bullshit about astrologically reading tea leaves.

"Indeed," the man simply replied, before frowning as he paid more scrutiny to Zane's outfit. "It's fine-dining hour. What are you wearing? You came in like this?"

Deciding to be particularly impudent, Zane chose to quote an old Chinese proverb, one that Uncle Shen taught him: "Facts beat eloquence."

"Oh?" And for the first time, Shen fully withdrew his attention from the cooks to regard his bold nephew. "And what facts do you come bearing?"

"A long time ago, I was Chinese," Zane replied in English, using a mocking Chinese accent.

To Zane's immense satisfaction, Shen almost looked angry. He raised a comically large wooden spoon for mixing soup in the pot and pointed it at the boy threateningly as if the object were a sword. "Do not quote the Westerner's meme at me, boy. And for what reason did you come so soon after your last visit? I would hope it was nothing supernatural or foolish? Have you decided to take me up on my offer? Or are you here merely to cry to me about your sad absence of a love life?"

"Says the confirmed bachelor." Zane rolled his eyes.

"I am married to my personal dogma," Shen waved him off, not even pretending to be insulted. "However, the same is not true for you, and you are young - full of yang chi and vibrant life. Are you even fertile? Does your wood refuse to stand?"

In response to the question, Zane sputtered, as one naturally might. "W-What kind of question is that? Yes, I'm fertile! Shut up! I'm not here about my dating prospects - as if I'd take dating advice from you! I'm here to duel you."

"Ah." Shen's mocking smirk transformed, becoming a smirk of mocking and confidence instead. "I see how it is. Alright then, boy - I'll have to hold the line here for a while more. Exercise some, I'll be with you in half an hour."

With the old man's permission, Zane sighed deeply then proceeded to what his uncle called the dojo. It was a medium-sized room attached to the restaurant via the backroom lounge and a part of his uncle's ancient, defunct plan to open a martial arts school, slightly ruined by the fact that his uncle also predicted it wouldn't get enough students to make the investment of time and money worth it. It was open and very airy, with a number of windows near the ceiling, some equipment for exercise, and a few neat decorations, like a small Buddha statue near the far center.

Although there was a fighting mat in the room, it wasn't really a proper dojo per se - it was more of a training room, clearly built for physical exercise. It didn't have sufficient equipment to be a proper gym, but at the same time, it had enough that it became instantly clear it wasn't a normal room for sitting around in.

After switching into a set of exercise clothes, Zane started doing his warm-up. Uncle Shen came in punctually half an hour later, almost down to the minute, dressed in a simple, black uniform. And for some time, the both of them simply warmed up and did callisthenics, until deciding that it was time.

"I do wonder if you'll be able to show any significant resistance once I start attacking, Zane," Shen commented. "I have gotten a bit rusty. Maybe you won't lose in five seconds? I suppose that we shall see."

"My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Uncle," Zane replied. It was funny because it was true.

"So you say! Come!"

After bowing to each other, their duel started in earnest.

Uncle Shen was a master of Chinese martial arts, particularly the fearsome external and northern schools. He'd been learning them since he was a six-year-old martial prodigy back at home, progressing in explosive bursts.

Or in simple words - Uncle Shen had forged his own body into a weapon of incredible strength, durability, cardiovascular efficiency, and efficacious muscle that didn't weigh him down while providing good leverage and structure to his attacks. The northern schools and styles were particularly aggressive, characterized by fluid motion and the ability to rapidly shift where the force was being issued; fast movement and rapid, explosive strikes that efficiently whittled down the opponent's body over time.

However, this didn't mean that Shen wasn't familiar with southern schools, either - the more passive ones, relying on low, stable stances and short but powerful movements that combine attack and defense. Unlike the northern styles, the southern ones involved full-body and arm movements. What rendered Uncle Shen terrifying to fight was his ability to fluently shift between his knowledge; an ability that Zane didn't share, and hoped to make up for by dedicating himself solely to Jeet Kune Do.

Sometimes, it was said that fighting was like dancing or music. A fool pretending to be a master would say this wasn't true. However, the actual truth was that it wasn't completely wrong - fighting was sort of like dancing or music.

There was an inherent tempo - a rhythm and economy of movement. One, two, one, two - move, move; move, move.

As the fight continued, both participants would start to get used to the rhythm they created together, opponent versus opponent, setting it for each other.

One of the best methods to completely destroy an opponent was to make him dance to a certain rhythm, set it for him; one, two, one two; and then when he was getting used to it, rapidly switch to a completely alien one; one, two, three; one, two, three, four.

In something like a duel, where conscious thought is limited and the fighter relies partially on raw skill and pure instinct, something like this was destructive for the brain. Almost no matter the opponent, it'd catch them flatfooted, and lead to a swift resolution unless the opponent rapidly adapted.

It was difficult to execute, however. It was something anyone could try, but only a master could successfully pull off. It was very difficult to switch a set rhythm internally, let alone externally; the switch was as difficult for the person enacting it as the person they were fighting. During the switch, their only advantage was having the foreknowledge of their plan and being the one doing it. No matter who performed the switch, it created openings on both sides that could be abused. It was therefore important to be prepared for the shift ahead of time.

---

At the moment, you have 10.7 units of shining Ambrosia. Spend them well.

[ ] Lion-Eating Poet - Setting and resetting the rhythm for the fight was one of the few possibilities that Zane could realistically seize to have a chance at defeating Shen.

Usually, Shen employs an aggressive fighting style that drains his stamina rapidly, deploying a full-contact barrage of punches and rarely kicks, sacrificing even accuracy and hits over closing into striking distance and unleashing utter hell on the opponent with his physique. It was inefficient, however, so after several barrages, he'd be forced to disengage and step back to defend himself and recuperate from such an intense task. If Zane can focus purely on the defense for that first half and make it through without any decisive losses, he'll be able to respond.

It'd be possible for Zane to step in and respond in kind in a similar way, playing a mind game with the old man, only to rapidly switch his tempo moments before Shen decides to return to offense. Aggression is one of Shen's main defenses against this maneuver - deprived of it and forced to defend, Zane can win the fight, or at least force the man to completely re-evaluate his fighting style mid-combat and make him switch to something he's less adept in. At that point, Zane can simply focus on defeating him.

[ ] Twin Benefits - Rather than focusing on the tempo, against which Shen is likely to adapt fast due to his ability to read the opponent's movements like an open book, it'd be better to avoid playing mind games and simply focus on brutal efficiency. Shen's aggressive openers can weather an opponent, even one skilled at defending, or completely destroy them if they can't even do that - if Zane can avoid meeting one of them, he can instantly rig the fight to his own advantage.

One of Zane's few advantages in this fight is his height as well as weight, and he can use them against his opponent; better reach and greater striking force would permit him to completely upset the balance of the fight right at its opener, swinging a kick or a wide blow in the path of Shen's approach to deter him, then continuously defend in a similar manner, until Shen decides he must completely give up his usual tactics, as his nephew isn't having any of it. Although Shen is patient, even his own patience won't be inexhaustible - he might taunt Zane and call him a coward, but Zane will simply smirk in response, knowing that Shen has a restaurant to run and can't afford to fight forever.

[ ] Wuxin Flow - Also known as the state of "no mind," Wuxin or Mushin is something a lot of martial artists practice over time. It's an interesting technique that relies on completely relinquishing conscious thought in the midst of combat, and surrendering oneself to experience and instinct, often to incredible results. It can be dangerous against masters who can exploit any openings, but Jeet Kune Do is already a style that relies more on instinct and efficient adjustment to conditions; it won't create many openings relative to its ability to speed up Zane's combat pacing, giving him a steady advantage. Zane will attempt to trigger this state as he fights Shen.

Unfortunately, it doesn't permit for any of the advanced tactics above at the same time.

[ ] Facts Beat Eloquence - 事实胜于雄辩 - or "actions speak louder than words."

Don't focus on any particular tactic. Fight Shen openly as you would have fought him the first time around. An absence of mind games and tricks is itself, a mind game and a trick, and perhaps the mightiest one. By doing this, Zane will be able to fully employ the terrifying diversity and efficiency of Jeet Kune Do, playing to his strengths.

[ ] Activate Brawler of Midwood [7 Ambrosia] - Doubles the odds of success for this action.

[ ] Write-in. If you believe you have a better idea, write-in tactics are perfectly acceptable.

Last edited:
[x] Wuxin Flow - Also known as the state of "no mind," Wuxin or Mushin is something a lot of martial artists practice over time. It's an interesting technique that relies on completely relinquishing conscious thought in the midst of combat, and surrendering oneself to experience and instinct, often to incredible results. It can be dangerous against masters who can exploit any openings, but Jeet Kune Do is already a style that relies more on instinct and efficient adjustment to conditions; it won't create many openings relative to its ability to speed up Zane's combat pacing, giving him a steady advantage. Zane will attempt to trigger this state as he fights Shen.

[X] Wuxin Flow

This is probably the most compatible for the Boreads card, with the freedom, wind, and heroism stuff by clearing your mind and avoiding tricks.

Might help increase the compatibility at least a little bit. Though, does compatibility increase with certain cards even if we don't have them equipped yet?

[X] Wuxin Flow - Also known as the state of "no mind," Wuxin or Mushin is something a lot of martial artists practice over time. It's an interesting technique that relies on completely relinquishing conscious thought in the midst of combat, and surrendering oneself to experience and instinct, often to incredible results. It can be dangerous against masters who can exploit any openings, but Jeet Kune Do is already a style that relies more on instinct and efficient adjustment to conditions; it won't create many openings relative to its ability to speed up Zane's combat pacing, giving him a steady advantage. Zane will attempt to trigger this state as he fights Shen.

This seems interesting. I want to give it a shot. Also cause my Inner Wuxia fanboy demands it.

Might help increase the compatibility at least a little bit. Though, does compatibility increase with certain cards even if we don't have them equipped yet?
As far as Zane's aware, there is an "initial" calculation of compatibility when you first pick up the Card, based mostly on your personality and life history. After that initial connection, every deed that follows will be judged by that particular Card. Even if you're no longer using it (such as switching from Phobos to Boreads,) it will still remember you when you come back, and it will see what you've been up to.

[X] Twin Benefits
We will not go down in 5 seconds, Uncle will be insufferable when we do.

Last edited:
Back