There's a lot of problems with the show, some problems this season example people are complaining online about what happened at the end of episode 3 at Highgarden finding it unrealistic that the Lannisters and Tarley army could take Highgarden with an army that look liked it had no siege weapons or ladders.
Really? Cause the implication to me was just that the battle took place off screen. i mean, those Highgarden soldiers didn't just spontaneously die on the ground as Jaime made his way up to see Olenna.

Really? Cause the implication to me was just that the battle took place off screen. i mean, those Highgarden soldiers didn't just spontaneously die on the ground as Jaime made his way up to see Olenna.
Some think some of the battle should have been shown and probably would have been if season 7 was a 10 episode long season like the other seasons of the show so far.

Maybe they wanted to save time and money for episode 4. Which I would VERY much approve and be ok with.
Possibly, but I can see why some fans were unhappy with the lack of a battle at Highgarden in episode 3. Tell me this, would you have preferred if season 7 had the number of episodes it has now, or if it had 10 episodes?

I can look at what happened in High Garden in two ways. The first, in the shows favor, is given Tarly sided with Cersei and the kingdom's strength was sapped by the loss of the Lannister's big boom, that the Tyrrells didn't have much steam left. However, given that the Tyrells and their bannerman just experienced epic losses and the sacrilege commuted by Cersei, it should have been easy for Olenna to muster one hell of an angry outpour to put up a better fight.

Given they want to wrap things up, I can roll with view one (but they should have made the scene look more like an epic seige took place with blood splattered Lannister and other High Garden troops, and at least some damage to the castle or siege engines to look like an actual siege took place, but whatever). However view two seems like it would be a better story rather than the neat wrap up of that front.

Last edited:

The problem is this being portrayed in such a way as to completely trivialize the offscreen battle, and it fucks itself up entirely within two shots.

It makes it look like the battle didn't even take five minutes. Like, they just walked in the castle and all the Tyrell soldiers had died of simultaneous explosive heart attacks or something. All they had to do to make this work was film the scene later in the evening to make it clear that the battle took atleast six hours or so. They also could have, I dunno, mixed in some Lannister bodies in with the Tyrell ones? Maybe muss up Coster-Waldau's hair a bit?

The most I can say for it is that maybe transitioning on the horizon is supposed to imply the passage of time. But the show's use of lighting and color grading is so constantly drab and sparse that you can't fucking tell. This isn't a budgeting issue it's just pure laziness.

Last edited:
Maybe they wanted to save time and money for episode 4. Which I would VERY much approve and be ok with.
They had an entire battle scene in Casterly Rock that didn't even happen. Time and money was not what they were short on, it was an explicit decision on what to focus: making Tyrion sound smart and have a scene where the Unsullied look badass and fighting a force that others would lose against was completely unneeded given it ends up with the plan being a bust and the Unsullied looking cool... by killing a few hundred men at most, only to lose to Euron's teleporting fleet.

They could have cut to just show the Unsullied take over a seemingly empty Casterly Rock and then have Euron's CGI fleet blast their CGI fleet for a few seconds, and then just show some minimal effort with Highgarden.

Hell, if they really didn't want to show the battle of Highgarden, they could just show Jaime arrive and then reword some of the dialogue when he meets with Olenna to convey the time and effort that passed. Instead, they had Cersei give a maximum time of 14 days from when Jaime leaves with the forces from Casterly Rock and until the gold is in King's Landing. Unless it takes a day of travel with wagons from HG to KL, there was no siege, no preparations, not even constructing basic ladders or anything: Jaime just shows up and the doors aren't even locked, and by all accounts HG was defended by 30 dudes or something. The rest of the might of the Reach apperently does not exist: only House Tarly seems to have any troops, and not that many given only 10,000 Lannister and Tarly troops were present for the Field of Fire 2.0.

The Reach went from being the biggest military power to less relevant than the Riverlands, with no explanation because D&D need to take away Dany's advantages (which they only gifted her with them in the last episode of last season) to make it look like the conclusion of this war is ever in doubt and to drag it for an entire season.

We could have had some lines thrown about the Reach Lords turning to Cersei other than just Tarly, or how the forces can't reach HG in time and once Olenna is dead, they turn to Tarly, who was made the new Lord Paramount of the Reach or something. It wouldn't be hard, or even demand many new scenes or lines of dialogue to make this more acceptable. Just decent writing.

They had an entire battle scene in Casterly Rock that didn't even happen. Time and money was not what they were short on, it was an explicit decision on what to focus: making Tyrion sound smart and have a scene where the Unsullied look badass and fighting a force that others would lose against was completely unneeded given it ends up with the plan being a bust and the Unsullied looking cool... by killing a few hundred men at most, only to lose to Euron's teleporting fleet.

They could have cut to just show the Unsullied take over a seemingly empty Casterly Rock and then have Euron's CGI fleet blast their CGI fleet for a few seconds, and then just show some minimal effort with Highgarden.

Hell, if they really didn't want to show the battle of Highgarden, they could just show Jaime arrive and then reword some of the dialogue when he meets with Olenna to convey the time and effort that passed. Instead, they had Cersei give a maximum time of 14 days from when Jaime leaves with the forces from Casterly Rock and until the gold is in King's Landing. Unless it takes a day of travel with wagons from HG to KL, there was no siege, no preparations, not even constructing basic ladders or anything: Jaime just shows up and the doors aren't even locked, and by all accounts HG was defended by 30 dudes or something. The rest of the might of the Reach apperently does not exist: only House Tarly seems to have any troops, and not that many given only 10,000 Lannister and Tarly troops were present for the Field of Fire 2.0.

The Reach went from being the biggest military power to less relevant than the Riverlands, with no explanation because D&D need to take away Dany's advantages (which they only gifted her with them in the last episode of last season) to make it look like the conclusion of this war is ever in doubt and to drag it for an entire season.

We could have had some lines thrown about the Reach Lords turning to Cersei other than just Tarly, or how the forces can't reach HG in time and once Olenna is dead, they turn to Tarly, who was made the new Lord Paramount of the Reach or something. It wouldn't be hard, or even demand many new scenes or lines of dialogue to make this more acceptable. Just decent writing.

Shit I forgot the castle is named Highgarden and the kingdom is the Reach.

Anyways, after reading this, I don't even know if I want to watch the rest of the show now

Possibly, but I can see why some fans were unhappy with the lack of a battle at Highgarden in episode 3. Tell me this, would you have preferred if season 7 had the number of episodes it has now, or if it had 10 episodes?
Yeah I would have preferred the full 10 episodes, but not if it's gunna have a lot of needless filler.

It was established a couple seasons ago that Casterly Rock was out of gold, Tyrion just didn't know that. Also, the last time we saw Euron was way back at the beginning of the episode, leading up to all the way to the end of the episode where we see him next. Again, that's a lot of scenes right there which show a lot of time has passed in between.

It's my personal theory that the reason Dorne and The Reach went down so fast is because in the books, they'll align with fAegon and end up losing, but with fAegon not being in the show, they had to come up with another reason why these two houses were taken down. I'm honestly ok with this though because fAegon was honestly such an unneeded addition to the books that i think could've easily been cut out and I'm glad that's what Double D did.

There's no need to establish more characters just for the sake of dialogue that's ultimately not needed. Really, it comes off to me that Tarly helps serve as a representative of the major force and might of the Reach itself. Without it, Highgarden could be easily taken.

Anyways, after reading this, I don't even know if I want to watch the rest of the show now
At this point, I don't think anyone on SB or SV watch the show anymore for any reason then for some twisted masochistic ritual.

There's no need to establish more characters just for the sake of dialogue that's ultimately not needed. Really, it comes off to me that Tarly helps serve as a representative of the major force and might of the Reach itself. Without it, Highgarden could be easily taken.

At this point, I don't think anyone on SB or SV watch the show anymore for any reason then for some twisted masochistic ritual.
There's no need to establish any characters, indeed. They can just say "Reach lords" without ever naming or even showing a single one: just a line from Jaime or Randyl to inform us of it.

And people are watching the show because at this point most of us lost any hope that Martin will ever finish the books, and so this is our only way to see the ending (as D&D said the ending at least will match the books, even if the path to it will be different).

Also, because the show still has some decent scenes and acting in between all the shit, and its not like there's a wealth of high-budget fantasy shows right now.

Agreed this is why the show has problems.

On an unrelated note, remember this vision Dany had in the house of the undying?

I had always assumed the damage was done by the Others.

Ooooooh-kay, how much did DnD Bork up book plots now?

Rhaegar had his marriage to Elia annulled by the High Septon and then had him marry him to someone who wasn't named (but was totally Lyanna) while they were in Dorne. And this was written down by the Septon and just laying around in the Citadel where Gilly found it.

Last edited:
The true Goon squad was formed in this amazing episode.
Of course Jaime and Bronn survive through the magic of rivers. Bronn going I tried to fight a dragon and I lost fuck that I am out was pretty funny. Jaime's realization that yeah fighting dragons is pretty hard was also pretty funny.

The scene with Tyrion walking through the field of fire showing us the horrors of the attack was nice. Dany killing Randyll was expected but killing Dickon was another wasteful death on the part of the showrunners.

Drogon showing my boy Jon some love was nice and the return of the most grizzled man in the world Jorah Mormont.

Bronn reintroducing Tyrion and Jaime was nice. We finally get to see Gendry again and he has a Warhammer. That I thought you would still be rowing line had me lolling.

Pregnant Cersei made me roll my eyes.

People are finally starting to realize that the dead are coming.

Confirmation that Rhaegar's marriage to Lyanna was also interesting.

Littlefinger continuing to foment chaos and the north and he as well as Arya are shadow running against each other.

My favorite part of the episode had to be the ending as we have a true pack of Goons about to go face down the army of the dead.

That assumes what they've revealed isn't book canon as a fact. This isn't stupid writing. This is just legit The Last Dragon was a moron.

I seriously doubt that even if somehow the showrunners know about the book plots they'd be capable of adapting them to make sense.

And in any case the High Septon at the time is almost certainly the one who was around at the start of the show, if he was involved in some retarded plot to randomly marry Rhaegar and Lyanna on the spot how the fuck did the Lannisters not find out and smoke his ass?

That assumes what they've revealed isn't book canon as a fact. This isn't stupid writing. This is just legit The Last Dragon was a moron.
He has his marriage to Elia Martell annulled and married Lyanna Stark.
So...this would mean that Danny should be bending a knee to Jon, assuming all of the actions were carried out legally, right? Or does the fact that the Crown prince died before the king mean that Jon would be moved back in the lines of succession?

So...this would mean that Danny should be bending a knee to Jon, assuming all of the actions were carried out legally, right? Or does the fact that the Crown prince died before the king mean that Jon would be moved back in the lines of succession?

She should be bending the knee to Jon. There is absolutely no scenario where she shouldn't if Jon's legitimately a Targaryen as they put women behind every single male claimant. Strictly speaking if her family had died of natural causes before Robert's Rebellion Dany would probably have to bend the knee to Robert. If Dany's son hadn't died she'd have to bend the knee to him.

Back