FusionVerse - Combining All The Stories

1. Yeah and he keeps coming back.
2. I just said I don't think in this setting Batman/Bruce Wayne was active in the 30s. I think they went for the modern incarnation, that he's around and active in modern days.
3. Just because they are small it doesn't mean they don't matter. If they didn't matter they wouldn't be Ra's Al Ghul's enemy number 1. Besides it's not the quantity, but the quality. The fellowship of the Ring had only 9 members, and the Justice League started with only 7. Besides, I'm writing the Ra's Al Ghul stuff from the point of view of the Demon. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate, and things can change.

You know I'm not gonna keep fighting you on this. I'm gonna just move on and try and combine some different setting stuff. Later on @5elementsage can decide how big an influence he wants either the Demons or the Brotherhood to play in the setting/story.

Any heroes who have longevity like Superman, Wonder Woman, or Captain America can be allowed to come from earlier time periods. Additionally, Cap specifically was frozen and revived later, so that sort of thing is also an option. People like Bruce who are supposedly NORMAL HUMANS should be retconned to their most modern portrayal so the aging thing doesn't get confusing. Unless you want to fanon that Batman has been using the Lazarus Pits to stick around this long?

With my thoughts on the secret orgs, I think that SHIELD/SWORD, the Assassins, and the Templars should have different national origins. According to the first Assassin's Creed, they started in Arabia, but hasn't that been retconned to Egypt instead? I could be wrong; haven't played the recent games. SHIELD should logically be American in origin, maybe the Templars could be Greek? We could then decide which secret orgs are part of what group based on their national origins, or a close approximate. Anything that truly began in Japan or China, and didn't have inspiration from somewhere else, we may have to group into their own, fourth collective.

This one's actually fairly easy

Magic from TES is Magicka, energy that comes from Aetherius and that started to pour into Mundus after Magnus and his fledging left Mundus and literally teared holes into reality, that would become the stars (the Sun in TES is a giant hole, go figure)

I feel like we're going to have to sit down and figure out magic at some point. Some settings are rather vague about their magic, others are very specific. But something I feel will solve the Tamriel/Nirn problem is the existence of reality warpers in our setting. We've got higher dimensional characters like Mr. Myxzptlk, mutant chaos mages like Scarlet Witch, higher order magic users like Doctor Strange and Doctor Fate, so it seems logical to have someone come along, as a loose analogue to the Daedric Princes, and reshape part of the setting into Tamriel. Perhaps he saw the world of Nirn in a dream, not realizing that it actually did exist, and that to Nirn, he was a godlike reality-warping dreamer who caused their world to be as his subconscious demanded. Through the evolution of his powers, he ends up manifesting a version of Tamriel in our setting, complete with some or all of its historical records and memories. But the world to which they think those records and memories apply, is not this world (our setting) but another one from which they were drawn. How does that sound?

2. Dragons. The Dragons from Elder Scrolls are very different from many kinds of Dragons, for example the whole immortality/no breeding thing. Since the Elder Scrolls dragons went to Tamriel from Akavir (Kingdom of Beasts), perhaps the dragons who stayed behind* sort of devolved. Some retained intelligence but became mortal like the ones from Eragon who can breed, while others became violent non-talking animals like in Dragon Slayer, and others still interbred with humans making hybrid species like Firebreather or The American Dragon Jake Long.

@5elementsage Since we can't use Wonder Woman's Greek Mythology backstory, maybe she comes from Tamriel?

My thinking on the dragons is that the ones in the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon) can only hatch when the egg binds to a Dragon Rider. I forget the exact mechanics of why, but this sounds like a "missing link" stage between the dragons of Tamriel and the dragons of other settings. Like they technically can't reproduce freely without some special conditions applying. We could use that. Some timeline for how the dragons have changed.

This Wonder Woman solution, or some version of it, works rather well for my tastes. Instead of Themyscara existing in our setting, we might go with my "alternate Tamriel created from reality warping" to replace it. Characters like Wonder Woman, and alternate versions of people like Zeus, Kratos, and War from Darksiders, could come from Tamriel with changes to their backstories.

You know the more I learn about Thu'um and the way it works, the more similarities I see between it and the kind of magic in The Dragon Prince. I wonder if there's a way to connect these two settings? I'm far more familiar with the latter than the former.

Regardless I think Thu'um or 'The Primal Word Magic' for lack of a better term, might qualify as it's own distinct form of magic to add to the list. I'll think about writing something up.

I'm a little leery of using the Dragon Prince. I have only watched one season, and there's only been two. I've provisionally banned GenLock for the time being, because there's not much to its canon at this juncture. I feel similarly about the Dragon Prince. Sure, if it ends next season, I'll feel like a damn fool, but let's put that canon aside for now.

Yeah, but Marvel or the MCU is not trying to convince the reader that Thor or Odin are real, they're simply saying in their fictional universe, they are
The reader/viewer can still decide if they exist in our world

I think Yu-Gi-Oh is fine (maybe without the Nazca Lines) because they don't pretend to be the Egyptian gods. It's called the Winged Dragon of Ra. It's not claiming that it's Ra himself. It's what someone who believed in Egyptian Gods would compare the power to.

Besides you allowed Stargate and they basically claim all the Egyptian gods are just Alien conquerors from outer space, who we reinterpreted as Gods (I think they do something similar with Norse Gods). So I think Yu-Gi-Oh is fine.

In Stargate, they go for a skeptic's portrayal of religion. That the gods didn't actually exist, but that there were advanced species from other worlds that inspired the legends. This is an acceptable way to handle it, but can get a little dicey with retcons like the MCU Thor, who is just an alien with Clarkeian technology. In Stargate, the "gods" are very mortal and very easy to kill if you know what you're doing. But Thor has "science" on a level that allows him to functionally behave as a complete divine being. It takes someone like Ultron or Thanos to slow him down, fellow false gods. A Goa'uld System Lord, on the other hand, is a normal human with a parasite that rapidly regenerates them, a coffin that can heal you quickly, and a force gauntlet that can blast people, as well as a faster-than-light ship. If you caught a Goa'uld off guard with their shield down, you could end the host's life with an RPG to the head, then squash the parasite under heel. Separate Thor from Mjolnir/Stormbreaker, and he's still very superhuman.

What we could do, referring up to the Tamriel idea, is rewrite these real-world references so that they don't offend. Change Thor's name to Styrmbrjr or something. It will take some doing, but is a practical solution. Would that be better than removing the references altogether?

I like all of what you've got down, and I'm already thinking of ways to use it with other settings or standalone.

We do already have a kind of spirit world, the Avatar the Last Airbender spirit world. And monsters do come out of that world, which have evolved to become Pokemon. Maybe in the past the monsters would escape the spirit world, and the stone tablets were the only way to seal them. This was a long time before Pokeballs were created, and it didn't quite tame them-it just contained them.

Yes, it does make a lot of sense for Duel Monsters and Avatar's spirits to come from the same world. I'm iffy about using Persona's Metaverse, or collective human unconscious, to explain that.

This. I am very much behind the idea of Matt, Phoenix, and Jennifer working together to protect superhumans in the legal system.

Finally Gundam. There are a couple of ways we can do this.

I'm not very knowledgable in Gundam, Mass Effect, or Halo, but I do know a little about each. I will leave the major discussion up to those of you who do know, and render my verdict accordingly.

Actually @5elementsage would you be against the idea of Mars being colonized by Earth in let's say the 70s or something, and then tried to become independent with it's own society? That way we could have a kind of modern war (cold or otherwise) with Mars, and all the fun stuff that comes with that! Maybe Mars, when on the backfoot of the war, tries to use Hell as a power source, but that releases a bunch of demons, causing Doom 2016! There's all kinds of cool stuff that could be done if Mars is colonized.

EDIT: Look at all the settings out there that involve Mars fighting against Earth! This is a great way to tie or include them all!

I'm not against this idea at all. But I have a slightly different version than the 70's. Let's have the settlers be from the mid 19th century, around the time that the Time Machine was invented in H.G. Wells' work. But instead of just a Time Machine, we have it be a primitive Earth-version TARDIS. It is picked up from the inventor by Parliament, and used in a similar capacity to the Stargate in its namesake show. The government sets up a test run for a relatively "safe" distance -- a jump to Mars. They set up a colony, and start studying the red planet, when the Machine breaks down. Problem being: it's not on Earth or Mars. Where it ended up, we can decide later. Now Earth has no way to move to and from Mars, as the inventor has died/disappeared and his research is lost to the winds (perhaps it was even onboard the machine, that he used as a mobile lab). So Earth moves on as if the secret colony never happened, with only a few privileged officers holding its secret, which they take to their graves. Mars likewise moves on, the society adapting very quickly to the harsh, barely-liveable environs. At the turn of the century, when Earth is embroiled in the Great War, Mars makes a land-grab to try and claim the more liveable planet for themselves (i.e. War of the Worlds). About nine decades later, Mars tries something else. They develop an interdimensional travel mechanism, based on the same properties as the Machine, hoping to find a way to bridge to Earth without space travel. A more instantaneous invasion would mean they can strike much more quickly before anyone can prepare their defenses. However, the dimensional bridge opens a gateway to a ruined world occupied by the nightmarish creatures that evolved to survive its post-apocalyptic conditions. These "demons" invade Mars and supplant the population. Not sure about Doomguy's arrival yet, but we can work on that.

Thoughts?

You know I just realised something else that should probably be on the ban list. Isekai genre fiction, or basically any settings where the protagonists end up in another world. Because of our rule on no other dimensions/timelines unless we have to, we can't really use those stories. Whether it's Overlord and Konosuba, or Alice in wonderland and the Wizard of Oz.

Now this is both a good thing (we don't have to worry about fitting loads of settings) but also a shame of missing out on that otherworldly ness. We might decide on individual otherworld settings on a case by case basis.

Edit: the more I think about it, maybe a full ban isn' a great idea. I'l give it more thought. Maybe only settings that take place entirely in another world, but settings that visit other dimensions like how Mortal Kombat goes to Outworld should be fine.

I'm not thinking full ban, but you do have a few good points. Consider this though: Doctor Strange's magic is primarily dimensional in nature. He's not the only example where we've made use of other dimensions. It's just not a wise strategy to rely heavily on settings in other dimensions entirely, and travel between them. Makes the story hard to follow. Any Isekai that uses VRMMO, we'll just write off as being in the future, and thus they haven't happened yet in our setting. Those that don't, we can handle independently. The Wizard of Oz is part of a magical realm within normal Earth, speculated to be in the Northern hemisphere, since a character gets there once by flying toward the North Star. So it doesn't count. Perhaps we can even work things so that the realms surrounding Oz are part of altered Tamriel?

I think that Alice in Wonderland could be a straightforward fae story. She gets lured into an otherworldly area ruled by mysterious laws and a capricious queen. Some denizens are friendly such as the Cheshire cat and mad hatter, some are malicious like the red queen, but all are subtly off. Sometimes it seems they are all actors in a play, going through the nonsensical motions. If them living in a pocket dimension is not allowed it could be made into an expanded space, or just an illusion cast to mess with her.

Yeah you're probably right. If we go with Fae stuff at all we need at least some kind of realm where they take humans so weird stuff happens, like in Midsummer's nights dream. It's not a parallel timeline so it should be fine.

To get around the alternate dimension issue of the Fae, I had a thought. People back in the days of faery tales didn't know about alternate dimensions as a concept. What they did know about is caves, tunnels, and mines, and getting lost in the woods. What if the Fae of our setting treat geometry and geography different than humans do? We see our world as a terrestrial sphere, with an iron core in the middle, liquid metal in between, and cooling molten rock on the outside. But the Fae see the world as a Disc, with cool, habitable land in the middle, molten wastes on the outer limits, and burning solid metal on the edge. The way this world corresponds to our perception, makes it seem like they can cross the world through the middle, like if we dug deep enough we could find a paradise inside the hollow earth, but that is just a flaw of our understanding. Part of what this means is that if you fall in a hole, or wander off, you might end up crossing over to their side. Maybe this is even orchestrated by mischievous Fae in some circumstances.

Any heroes who have longevity like Superman, Wonder Woman, or Captain America can be allowed to come from earlier time periods. Additionally, Cap specifically was frozen and revived later, so that sort of thing is also an option. People like Bruce who are supposedly NORMAL HUMANS should be retconned to their most modern portrayal so the aging thing doesn't get confusing. Unless you want to fanon that Batman has been using the Lazarus Pits to stick around this long?

With my thoughts on the secret orgs, I think that SHIELD/SWORD, the Assassins, and the Templars should have different national origins. According to the first Assassin's Creed, they started in Arabia, but hasn't that been retconned to Egypt instead? I could be wrong; haven't played the recent games. SHIELD should logically be American in origin, maybe the Templars could be Greek? We could then decide which secret orgs are part of what group based on their national origins, or a close approximate. Anything that truly began in Japan or China, and didn't have inspiration from somewhere else, we may have to group into their own, fourth collective.
Some notes
1. I feel that the best solution for Batman is to go the Legacy route. Bruce was the first, then Dick, then Damian, etc.
2. The Templars were founded by a pharaoh, and the Assassins were founded later on, during the Roman conquest. however they didn't take the names "Assassin" and "Templar" until the Crusades period
3. IIRC, SHIELD was founded by Leonardo Da Vinci

Eh, I don't like the idea of Batman using the LAzarus pits. Yeah some versions he does, but he's seen how it drove Jason crazy so I doubt he would be up for it.

Well the Optimus Prime Templars started in Egypt. So I guess both starts in Egypt. I mean they're international organisations and have been for thousands of years, I'm not sure how important where they started is.

I feel like we're going to have to sit down and figure out magic at some point. Some settings are rather vague about their magic, others are very specific.
Yeah figuring that out is gonna be fun. ;)

My thinking on the dragons is that the ones in the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon) can only hatch when the egg binds to a Dragon Rider. I forget the exact mechanics of why, but this sounds like a "missing link" stage between the dragons of Tamriel and the dragons of other settings. Like they technically can't reproduce freely without some special conditions applying. We could use that. Some timeline for how the dragons have changed.
That could work.

This Wonder Woman solution, or some version of it, works rather well for my tastes. Instead of Themyscara existing in our setting, we might go with my "alternate Tamriel created from reality warping" to replace it. Characters like Wonder Woman, and alternate versions of people like Zeus, Kratos, and War from Darksiders, could come from Tamriel with changes to their backstories.
Tamriel does have their own deities. They could do it. Or perhaps we tie it to Dragon Age, and say Wonder Woman was blessed by Andraste/is Andraste reborn.

I'm a little leery of using the Dragon Prince. I have only watched one season, and there's only been two. I've provisionally banned GenLock for the time being, because there's not much to its canon at this juncture. I feel similarly about the Dragon Prince. Sure, if it ends next season, I'll feel like a damn fool, but let's put that canon aside for now.
Aw. I had such plans. Very well, your the boss.

In Stargate, they go for a skeptic's portrayal of religion. That the gods didn't actually exist, but that there were advanced species from other worlds that inspired the legends. This is an acceptable way to handle it,
Wait, atheism/skepticism is a more acceptable way to treat someone's belief than just a comic book homage? That's a twisted kind of logic and I'm pretty sure others would definitely be offended if they followed that faith, more than if we said that god was a superhero in their free time.
What we could do, referring up to the Tamriel idea, is rewrite these real-world references so that they don't offend. Change Thor's name to Styrmbrjr or something. It will take some doing, but is a practical solution. Would that be better than removing the references altogether?
Styrmrjr doesn't exactly roll off the tongue does it? I mean, half the glory is in the name, and if we can't use the name, we might as well not use the character.

Yes, it does make a lot of sense for Duel Monsters and Avatar's spirits to come from the same world. I'm iffy about using Persona's Metaverse, or collective human unconscious, to explain that.
No I'm not saying Avatar spirit is connected to the Metaverse, quite the opposite actually. The collective unconcious is it's own seperate realm, where the worst of humanity's subconscious is repressed.

When someone's Shadow is forced into the real world, it basically becomes a monster/evil spirit. This spirit can change much like the spirits from Avatar can adapt to. Remember all the creepy ghost pokemon like Yamask who apparently "carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry." Those are definitely Shadows who became Pokemon.

I'm not very knowledgable in Gundam, Mass Effect, or Halo, but I do know a little about each. I will leave the major discussion up to those of you who do know, and render my verdict accordingly.

I'm not against this idea at all. But I have a slightly different version than the 70's. Let's have the settlers be from the mid 19th century, around the time that the Time Machine was invented in H.G. Wells' work. But instead of just a Time Machine, we have it be a primitive Earth-version TARDIS. It is picked up from the inventor by Parliament, and used in a similar capacity to the Stargate in its namesake show. The government sets up a test run for a relatively "safe" distance -- a jump to Mars. They set up a colony, and start studying the red planet, when the Machine breaks down. Problem being: it's not on Earth or Mars. Where it ended up, we can decide later. Now Earth has no way to move to and from Mars, as the inventor has died/disappeared and his research is lost to the winds (perhaps it was even onboard the machine, that he used as a mobile lab). So Earth moves on as if the secret colony never happened, with only a few privileged officers holding its secret, which they take to their graves. Mars likewise moves on, the society adapting very quickly to the harsh, barely-liveable environs. At the turn of the century, when Earth is embroiled in the Great War, Mars makes a land-grab to try and claim the more liveable planet for themselves (i.e. War of the Worlds). About nine decades later, Mars tries something else. They develop an interdimensional travel mechanism, based on the same properties as the Machine, hoping to find a way to bridge to Earth without space travel. A more instantaneous invasion would mean they can strike much more quickly before anyone can prepare their defenses. However, the dimensional bridge opens a gateway to a ruined world occupied by the nightmarish creatures that evolved to survive its post-apocalyptic conditions. These "demons" invade Mars and supplant the population. Not sure about Doomguy's arrival yet, but we can work on that.

Thoughts?

Uh, is that based on some story/stories you liked, or just something you made up whole cloth? Cause I can certainly work with it, I'm just not sure where it came from.

I'm not thinking full ban, but you do have a few good points. Consider this though: Doctor Strange's magic is primarily dimensional in nature. He's not the only example where we've made use of other dimensions. It's just not a wise strategy to rely heavily on settings in other dimensions entirely, and travel between them.
Exactly what I was getting at.

To get around the alternate dimension issue of the Fae, I had a thought. People back in the days of faery tales didn't know about alternate dimensions as a concept. What they did know about is caves, tunnels, and mines, and getting lost in the woods. What if the Fae of our setting treat geometry and geography different than humans do? We see our world as a terrestrial sphere, with an iron core in the middle, liquid metal in between, and cooling molten rock on the outside. But the Fae see the world as a Disc, with cool, habitable land in the middle, molten wastes on the outer limits, and burning solid metal on the edge. The way this world corresponds to our perception, makes it seem like they can cross the world through the middle, like if we dug deep enough we could find a paradise inside the hollow earth, but that is just a flaw of our understanding. Part of what this means is that if you fall in a hole, or wander off, you might end up crossing over to their side. Maybe this is even orchestrated by mischievous Fae in some circumstances.

Sure I guess it works. Do you want to use the Fae? That doesn't count as stealing from mythology does it? Using things like Oberon, or the Wild Hunt, or the Sidhe courts, that's all fine?

3. IIRC, SHIELD was founded by Leonardo Da Vinci
You're joking. *Looks it up* Oh wow, Jcogginsa wasn't joking. Marvel Comics is weird. Really Da Vinci, a Life Model Decoy and a time machine? What will you think up next?

But seriously, I'm looking through the wiki and it seems like the Brotherhood of the Shield disappeared in the 50s or 60s. It's not clear when the Brotherhood ended and SHIELD showed up. It looks like members of SHIELD didn't know it existed. So we can probably just treat it like the Modern SHIELD that started in WW2. We don't have to go with every weird retcon Marvel Comic pulls off.

Also if we go Legacy thing, then that means Damien (or Damien's kid) is the one who interacts with Superman for the first time, if Clark Kent is the modern Superman who shows up recently. Unless we want to go Kingdom Come and say Superman is 80 years plus or something in 2019.

Eh, I don't like the idea of Batman using the LAzarus pits. Yeah some versions he does, but he's seen how it drove Jason crazy so I doubt he would be up for it.

I'm not for it either, but it was an idea to toss around.

Tamriel does have their own deities. They could do it. Or perhaps we tie it to Dragon Age, and say Wonder Woman was blessed by Andraste/is Andraste reborn.

We'll leave Wonder Woman and Shazam at this: the former is descended from a Tamriel Redguard and a deity (who will be defined later when we work out the setting's pantheon), while the latter is a child who was given the powers of legendary beings by a wizard (said beings will also be defined later). I don't like changing Wonder Woman so drastically as to make her the reincarnation of a goddess, when that sounds more like Hawkwoman's thing.

Wait, atheism/skepticism is a more acceptable way to treat someone's belief than just a comic book homage? That's a twisted kind of logic and I'm pretty sure others would definitely be offended if they followed that faith, more than if we said that god was a superhero in their free time.

I'm not at all saying atheism is superior to a comic book homage, and you absolutely just quoted half of my sentence. Never do that. What I said is that a world where divine beings don't exist, and are just the heroic retelling of advanced aliens, is an acceptable way to handle the adaptation of disparate religions into a setting, but one that has its limits. What Marvel does is make a superhero out of someone that real people worship today, and have that superhero get beat up by a bunch of characters they invented. The Christian equivalent would be writing a comic where Jesus is a superhero, and then he gets the snot beat out of him by cookie cutter alien warlord #13 to make the villain appear powerful, a worthy target for the superheroes to work together and defeat. If Infinity War started with "the Messiah" getting pulped by Thanos, how do you think a significant portion of the world's population would react? The reason I see Stargate as different is a philosophical one, a humanist perspective that begins with a simple statement. Any god from any story is, in this setting, a humanoid alien from a society that has advanced to a point we can reach. Humans can, one day, become like the gods we worship. As an areligious person with no loyalties to any one religion, I see that approach as preferable to targeting specific religions. Another example I haven't really talked about would be Percy Jackson. That series doesn't really portray gods as comparable to mundane superheroes, but it makes use of Greek mythology in a similar way to how Harry Potter uses wizards. That being said, I haven't read it, only seen the first movie.

Styrmrjr doesn't exactly roll off the tongue does it? I mean, half the glory is in the name, and if we can't use the name, we might as well not use the character.

I'm not proposing Styrmbrjr in seriousness, I'm just saying we can adapt characters like Marvel's Thor into a more original construction, give them different names. If, as you put it "half the glory is in the name," that says a lot about having characters in our story use the names of "real" gods. Of course, if you object to this kind of adaptation, we can just go back to the idea of removing them entirely, and using elements they introduce rather than the characters themselves.

Uh, is that based on some story/stories you liked, or just something you made up whole cloth? Cause I can certainly work with it, I'm just not sure where it came from.

The Time Machine/Mars adaptation is my own work, but borrows heavily from HG Wells and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, as well as Doctor Who.

Sure I guess it works. Do you want to use the Fae? That doesn't count as stealing from mythology does it? Using things like Oberon, or the Wild Hunt, or the Sidhe courts, that's all fine?

I think we can use the Fae just like we can have gods in our setting. We can avoid using names like Nuada, Oberon, and Titania, but keep the Fae.

We'll leave Wonder Woman and Shazam at this: the former is descended from a Tamriel Redguard and a deity (who will be defined later when we work out the setting's pantheon), while the latter is a child who was given the powers of legendary beings by a wizard (said beings will also be defined later). I don't like changing Wonder Woman so drastically as to make her the reincarnation of a goddess, when that sounds more like Hawkwoman's thing.

The gods from TES don't have kids, thought
They actually, literally, can't

I'm not at all saying atheism is superior to a comic book homage, and you absolutely just quoted half of my sentence. Never do that. What I said is that a world where divine beings don't exist, and are just the heroic retelling of advanced aliens, is an acceptable way to handle the adaptation of disparate religions into a setting, but one that has its limits. What Marvel does is make a superhero out of someone that real people worship today, and have that superhero get beat up by a bunch of characters they invented. The Christian equivalent would be writing a comic where Jesus is a superhero, and then he gets the snot beat out of him by cookie cutter alien warlord #13 to make the villain appear powerful, a worthy target for the superheroes to work together and defeat. If Infinity War started with "the Messiah" getting pulped by Thanos, how do you think a significant portion of the world's population would react? The reason I see Stargate as different is a philosophical one, a humanist perspective that begins with a simple statement. Any god from any story is, in this setting, a humanoid alien from a society that has advanced to a point we can reach. Humans can, one day, become like the gods we worship. As an areligious person with no loyalties to any one religion, I see that approach as preferable to targeting specific religions. Another example I haven't really talked about would be Percy Jackson. That series doesn't really portray gods as comparable to mundane superheroes, but it makes use of Greek mythology in a similar way to how Harry Potter uses wizards. That being said, I haven't read it, only seen the first movie.

Yeah, but it's fiction. No one cares except people that aren't worth heeding
South Park's portrayal of Jesus is even more heretic to Christians that any Thor comic or movie would be for a worshipper of the Nord Gods
And guess what?
Nobody. gives. a shit
It's not disrepectuf in the slightest, it's simply using an old myth to build a new version, something Humans have been doing since we hunted mammoths

I'm not at all saying atheism is superior to a comic book homage, and you absolutely just quoted half of my sentence. Never do that. What I said is that a world where divine beings don't exist, and are just the heroic retelling of advanced aliens, is an acceptable way to handle the adaptation of disparate religions into a setting, but one that has its limits. What Marvel does is make a superhero out of someone that real people worship today, and have that superhero get beat up by a bunch of characters they invented. The Christian equivalent would be writing a comic where Jesus is a superhero, and then he gets the snot beat out of him by cookie cutter alien warlord #13 to make the villain appear powerful, a worthy target for the superheroes to work together and defeat. If Infinity War started with "the Messiah" getting pulped by Thanos, how do you think a significant portion of the world's population would react?

The reason I see Stargate as different is a philosophical one, a humanist perspective that begins with a simple statement. Any god from any story is, in this setting, a humanoid alien from a society that has advanced to a point we can reach. Humans can, one day, become like the gods we worship. As an areligious person with no loyalties to any one religion, I see that approach as preferable to targeting specific religions. Another example I haven't really talked about would be Percy Jackson. That series doesn't really portray gods as comparable to mundane superheroes, but it makes use of Greek mythology in a similar way to how Harry Potter uses wizards. That being said, I haven't read it, only seen the first movie.
Please read the books, Percy Jackson Movie doesn't really tell the story properly. Or at least watch/listen to the musical.

I'm not proposing Styrmbrjr in seriousness, I'm just saying we can adapt characters like Marvel's Thor into a more original construction, give them different names. If, as you put it "half the glory is in the name," that says a lot about having characters in our story use the names of "real" gods. Of course, if you object to this kind of adaptation, we can just go back to the idea of removing them entirely, and using elements they introduce rather than the characters themselves.
Look either remove them or just say they're super aliens. The Asgardians can be considered super evolved individuals, hence their enhanced abilities compared to the Gou'ld. Make the call and we'll stick with it.

Personally I prefer the American Gods interpretation, that gods are created by people's belief, and when people stop believing in them, they lose a lot of their power. It could be a good explanation for why Daedric Princes etc are so keen on getting involved with the world.

The Time Machine/Mars adaptation is my own work, but borrows heavily from HG Wells and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, as well as Doctor Who.
Fair enough. If we are going with my time travel story as canon (not saying we are, just saying) perhaps after the first teleport, the Time Traveller went to the future and never came back, which meant those stuck on Mars didn't have a way to contact or return to Earth. Only The Time Traveller had, or knew how to use the tech.

The gods from TES don't have kids, thought
They actually, literally, can't
Talos could. He used to be human right?

However maybe we should use a different set of deities. Golarian deities from Pathfinder are way more easy going about that kind of thing.

Yeah, but it's fiction. No one cares except people that aren't worth heeding
South Park's portrayal of Jesus is even more heretic to Christians that any Thor comic or movie would be for a worshipper of the Nord Gods
And guess what?
Nobody. gives. a shit
It's not disrepectuf in the slightest, it's simply using an old myth to build a new version, something Humans have been doing since we hunted mammoths

Clearly this is getting very heated, let's avoid religion and do something else.

So Mars? Everyone cool with moving on to developing Mars in this setting? What other cool stuff we want on it? I'm thinking of having the White/Green Martians from DC in hibernation, like in the JLU tv series.

Please read the books, Percy Jackson Movie doesn't really tell the story properly. Or at least watch/listen to the musical.

Look either remove them or just say they're super aliens. The Asgardians can be considered super evolved individuals, hence their enhanced abilities compared to the Gou'ld. Make the call and we'll stick with it.

Personally I prefer the American Gods interpretation, that gods are created by people's belief, and when people stop believing in them, they lose a lot of their power. It could be a good explanation for why Daedric Princes etc are so keen on getting involved with the world.

Fair enough. If we are going with my time travel story as canon (not saying we are, just saying) perhaps after the first teleport, the Time Traveller went to the future and never came back, which meant those stuck on Mars didn't have a way to contact or return to Earth. Only The Time Traveller had, or knew how to use the tech.

Talos could. He used to be human right?

However maybe we should use a different set of deities. Golarian deities from Pathfinder are way more easy going about that kind of thing.

Clearly this is getting very heated, let's avoid religion and do something else.

So Mars? Everyone cool with moving on to developing Mars in this setting? What other cool stuff we want on it? I'm thinking of having the White/Green Martians from DC in hibernation, like in the JLU tv series.

Let's See, Stuff on Mars: There's Marvin the Martian, Battle Angel Alita, Doom, Martian Manhunter, John Carter, Total Recall, TerraforMARs, Doctor Who...

Let's See, Stuff on Mars: There's Marvin the Martian, Battle Angel Alita, Doom, Martian Manhunter, John Carter, Total Recall, TerraforMARs, Doctor Who...
Oh yeah John Carter! Good shout. @5elementsage maybe we could use the story of John Carter somehow. The man was teleported to Mars by accident in 1886 after ending up in a cave, before coming back 10 years later (we can change the exact times to fit with the setting). He left the tale on how he did so for his nephew-but perhaps this method of teleportation inspired The Time Traveller to replicate the teleportation process. Maybe his method only worked at certain times in the cave-but perhaps the cave collapsed after his disappearance so they couldn't retrieve the Martian colonists.

This means Mars was inhabited by various Martians (Marvin the Martian and the Martian Manhunter are probably different species)* when the humans arrived, who they may have befriended, or tried to kill, on a species by species basis. Or maybe, strangely enough, the Martians had mysteriously disappeared when the colonists arrived (hibernation?). We can figure out what works better.

I'm not sure if TerraforMARS can be used in the setting due to graphic violence, but it could certainly be interesting if we could pull it off. Maybe the people of Mars, trapped on the planet, try and terraform it themselves. There's limited success but it does cause the race of super cockroaches to appear. Thus the humans of Mars are forced to genetically enhance themselves to fight off this threat-or at least hold it at bay. It's why they probably invented super robots like Battle Angel Alita-to fight off this threat.

Not sure how Total Recall would work, but I haven't watched the movie yet.

EDIT: Maybe the Martians, when trying to find an instantaneous method to travel off planet, discover the Precursur ruins from Mass Effect, so they learn about Mass Effect Fields before Earth does. This allows them to have faster ships than Earth for the invasion. Maybe they also discover the Aldnoah power source (from Aldnoah.Zero) at some point, which means they can power their super technology despite limited resources, and send super mechs to fight Earth later on (maybe during the second invasion).

They may also discover the Mass Relay that allows the teleportation jumps Mass Effect ships use and can go to other planets/solar systems. Maybe misusing that is how the demon invasion occurs-they go to Netherealms from Mortal Kombat, or somewhere else with loads of demons.

EDIT 2*: Alright so I think I've got the species of Martians figured out, not including those that might interbreed with humans, or humans genetically modify themselves into.

Green Martians: A more peaceful race, these are the Martian Manhunter's species. They've probably been wiped out, either by human colonists or one of the other Martian species. They have a fear of fire and it's their greatest weakness, which is likely the reason they were decimated. They have shape shifting abilities, so perhaps related to the Skrulls in some way? A splinter race or just Convergent Evolution? [Origin Setting: DC Comics]

Red Martians: A human like species but red in color, are the dominant culture of Mars and rule with Imperial City States. They are descended from crossbreeding from White Martians [Ultimate Marvel Comics], Yellow Martians [Barsoom/extinct], and Black Martians [Loony Toons]. They can activate the Aldnoah drive, and can interbreed with humans [However they give birth with eggs]. It's likely there are some Red Martian/Human colonist crossbreeds, which have super strength. [Origin Setting: Barsoom aka John Carter]

Black Martians: This small species of Martians are extremely long lived, easily living over 2000 years, and are far technologically superior to the other Martians. They are however few in number, and one of their few remaining members Marvin seems more intent on blowing up Earth with his "Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator" then repopulating. [Origin Setting: Loony Toons]

White Martians aka the Chitauri: Believed to be an extinct race, they are a violent species of shapeshifters who despise the Green Martians. They see the human colonists as an opportunity to get off world, and spread themselves across the galaxy like a cancer. [Origin Setting: Ultimate Marvel]

Last edited:
Updated the previous post with a list of Martian races on Mars. I tried to take from multiple settings there. I decided to go with Chitauri instead of DC White Martians because White Martians are way too powerful, they would destroy everything else on the planet and not let the Red Martians rule. Even with their weakness to fire. However, being shape shifters means they need to manipulate both the colonists and the Red Martians to achieve their goals.

In the comics the Chitauri are implied to not be the same as the Skrulls, but we can change that if we like. Maybe like a lost colony of Skrulls?

I think what I like best is treating all these monstrous, inhuman Martians as propaganda. Earth is trying to convince its people after War of the Worlds (which in Fusionverse would've been human Martian colonists and not weird blobby aliens) that all the inhabitants of Mars are nightmares coming to steal your baby. In a manner of speaking. The real Martians look quite normal, closer to the Red Martians in the John Carter movie. And the real, very strange, aliens are from much farther out. Like, other stars far.

Or the moons of Jupiter, I think that's where Thanos is from, right?

I think what I like best is treating all these monstrous, inhuman Martians as propaganda. Earth is trying to convince its people after War of the Worlds (which in Fusionverse would've been human Martian colonists and not weird blobby aliens) that all the inhabitants of Mars are nightmares coming to steal your baby. In a manner of speaking. The real Martians look quite normal, closer to the Red Martians in the John Carter movie. And the real, very strange, aliens are from much farther out. Like, other stars far.

Or the moons of Jupiter, I think that's where Thanos is from, right?
I think the War of the Worlds needs to involve actual martians in order for the message to properly land. War of the Worlds was essentially about colonialism, so having it be a human on human conflict doesn't really work. Plus there is the disease factor.

I think it would be better of the War of the Worlds martians were merely a faction on Mars, who decided to invade after conquering the rest of the place. Once theiir invasion force died, the other inhabitants of Mars were able to overthrow them

I think the War of the Worlds needs to involve actual martians in order for the message to properly land. War of the Worlds was essentially about colonialism, so having it be a human on human conflict doesn't really work. Plus there is the disease factor.

I think it would be better of the War of the Worlds martians were merely a faction on Mars, who decided to invade after conquering the rest of the place. Once theiir invasion force died, the other inhabitants of Mars were able to overthrow them

Sort of a "old guard dying out" versus "the new hotness?" I could get behind that.

Sort of a "old guard dying out" versus "the new hotness?" I could get behind that.

This makes sense to me. Maybe the invading Martians was Marvin the Martian's species. It explains why he's the last of his kind and why he's obsessed with destroying earth.

Now, there is anothe wrinkle at play

Namely, the issue of disease. John Carter is a human living on Mars, so theoretically he would be here, spreading diseases
You mean he would be spreading disease on Mars? Or spreading martial diseases on Earth?
How would "A Wrinkle in Time" fit into this?
I haven't read the book or watched the movie. We try and not use time travel stuff if we can help it, but that book has more than just time travel right? Why not tell us a bit about it and what you'd like from that setting to be in this one?

This makes sense to me. Maybe the invading Martians was Marvin the Martian's species. It explains why he's the last of his kind and why he's obsessed with destroying earth.

You mean he would be spreading disease on Mars? Or spreading martial diseases on Earth?

I haven't read the book or watched the movie. We try and not use time travel stuff if we can help it, but that book has more than just time travel right? Why not tell us a bit about it and what you'd like from that setting to be in this one?
Spreading Earth diseases on Mars

How would "A Wrinkle in Time" fit into this?

Having read the series, I think I can weigh in on this. We're avoiding use of actual time travel for mechanical and logical reasons, but mainly to avoid grandfathering and an exponential growth of alternate timelines/realities. This project is going to be complicated as-is. But what Wrinkle In Time presents is not so much time travel as Tessering. If you Tesser, you can travel at speeds well over the speed of light to reach very distant places in what feels like a moment, spend a year there, then travel back to where you were moments after you left. It operates on similar time mechanics to Narnia. So that is absolutely something we could employ, albeit something extremely complicated in its full execution. L'Engle's books operate on some pretty unusual physics and metaphysics, that make even conventional magic look like child's play. Anyone else here read the books?

I think if we tried to invade another world, and the first time they managed to crack one of our vehicles, we started dying from horrible plagues we had no immunity to, some humans would probably feel like that contaminated world needed to be purged. Makes sense.

I have read about 4 of the books in the wrinkle in time series. I liked a swiftly tilting planet.
The main elements that wrinkle in time that I recognized are as follows. There is an incredibly large amount of dimensions where things are completely different than earth. For example there is a large amount of 2D dimensions that the angelic-like beings mentioned.
There is a universal fight against absolute authoritarianism. Where absolute means that every action is in line with the rhythm of the authoritarian brain. In some planets, such as the one visited in "a wrinkle in time" proper, The world is already dominated by a giant biological brain that brainwashed/mind-controls everyone and brings them into the sway of it's rhythm. There is a force of angel like beings in a universal fight against this force. They are mostly focused on prevention.
Also, some people have the potential to use their weird magic system that makes no sense to me.
Also, nearly all the great religious leaders where actually just trying to find a way keep people away from rhythmic authoritarianism.
So all the religions of the world are tectonically wrong but useful for the fight against ultimate evil.

I really like the books but they sometime give me a headache. I get less headaches in physics class than I did while reading the books I did. I have been wanting to finish the rest of them but I have difficulty following through with it.

P.S. I wish I could be more active with helping with this. But, job hunting has not gone well for me.

Last edited:
I really like the books but they sometime give me a headache. I get less headaches in physics class than I did while reading the books I did. I have been wanting to finish the rest of them but I have difficulty following through with it.

Don't feel bad. I'm a very weird person with a very open mind, and I find it hard to understand the books.

I guess what makes it most frustrating is that it actually makes sense but is still so difficult to understand that sometimes I want to throw the book. I have to take notes to get it most of the time.

I don't know why but when I first started reading it reminded me of a friend of mine who had a theory about how world-traveling angels and demons where in a cosmic fight and that one day a demon would come to earth and claim that it was humanities creator and that all the religions of the world where partially right and all of the major religions where actually perversions of the messages they tried to send to earth. Then it would conquer humanity by offering them everything we wanted but demanding service and mind-controlling people till everyone was completely subject to an unchallengeable creature. (Alternatively it could be a rouge AI created by another civilization. That would then subtly conquer humanity) It was his answer to why do we not see any aliens. They are already conquered by an AI/demon.

Last edited:
I have read about 4 of the books in the wrinkle in time series. I liked a swiftly tilting planet.
The main elements that wrinkle in time that I recognized are as follows. There is an incredibly large amount of dimensions where things are completely different than earth. For example there is a large amount of 2D dimensions that the angelic-like beings mentioned.
There is a universal fight against absolute authoritarianism. Where absolute means that every action is in line with the rhythm of the authoritarian brain. In some planets, such as the one visited in "a wrinkle in time" proper, The world is already dominated by a giant biological brain that brainwashed/mind-controls everyone and brings them into the sway of it's rhythm. There is a force of angel like beings in a universal fight against this force. They are mostly focused on prevention.
Also, some people have the potential to use their weird magic system that makes no sense to me.
I feel this could work well with the Kingdom Hearts thing we had going, as a force that invades other dimensions, taking control of them in different ways, that needs a force of 'good angelic beings' to fight against the force, which could in this setting be the Keyblade Wielders. Just mash them together until we find a compromise we like. EDIT: We can remove the Disney properties.

As for Martians, are we going with them being a mix of human colonists and Red Martians? Or two different species?

I like the idea of having Martians in the process of dying out as the humans get there. We'll do some continuity magic and say that the human colonists, John Carter's Red Martians, and the invaders from War of the Worlds are all the same people. There's not enough actual alien Martians left to invade Earth (using the idea of Black Martians being Marvin's people).

How do you lot feel about retconing the DC Martians so that Green and White are deviations off of the human colonists? We could have it be an expression of the Mutant gene, or a Celestial experiment like the Eternals went through.

Back