FusionVerse - Combining All The Stories

Why not just have Amestris take the place of holy Roman empire? The one that existed until 1806? Or just remove the mention of Amestris and just have the characters from Fullmetal Alchemist exist within and during the time of the Holy Roman Empire, changed stuff to match to the actual wars etc the HRE were involved with?

Hold on that is how you see Incursions? People just assume it's always been there because of some magical masquerade memory altering thing? I thought these just popped up and people realised these were from another world (or perhaps appear out of the ether depending on which scientist/philosopher you ask). That seems unnecessarily contrived and removes the interesting plots of people wondering what to do with these strange new arrivals, or wonder how long they will be around this time.

I just don't understand why you are so adamant that the people of normal earth discovered Full metal style alchemy on their own, that they needed to knowledge to come from another realm. They learnt magical martial arts by themselves, why can't they discover Alchemy by themselves?

Last edited:
Why not just have Amestris take the place of holy Roman empire? The one that existed until 1806? Or just remove the mention of Amestris and just have the characters from Fullmetal Alchemist exist within and during the time of the Holy Roman Empire, changed stuff to match to the actual wars etc the HRE were involved with?

Hold on that is how you see Incursions? People just assume it's always been there because of some magical masquerade memory altering thing? I thought these just popped up and people realised these were from another world (or perhaps appear out of the ether depending on which scientist/philosopher you ask). That seems unnecessarily contrived and removes the interesting plots of people wondering what to do with these strange new arrivals, or wonder how long they will be around this time.

I just don't understand why you are so adamant that the people of normal earth discovered Full metal style alchemy on their own, that they needed to knowledge to come from another realm. They learnt magical martial arts by themselves, why can't they discover Alchemy by themselves?

Because Fullmetal Alchemist features technology that did not exist in the Holy Roman Empire. Rotary phone? 1919. Steam locomotive? 1814. Automobile? 1886. The first medium tank? Late 1890's, early 1900's. That would be like changing Justice League so it takes place in the Middle Ages, ignoring all the tech that exists in the modern age.

People don't just "assume" an incursion has always been there, because they don't know about it. In order to know an incursion has taken place, one must be savvy about reality warping and so forth, or have a superhuman understanding of geography. For example, do you know every landmass that exists in the Pacific? Do you know where every village is in Asia? You would have to have a comparable, pure understanding of how the world is laid out, and how it got that way, to get that something had changed. Why? Because the incursion changes the past and the future in unison with the present, since it is an interweaving of space and time from two different universes.

A big part of how things changed in recent history is the invention of things like the satellite, quantum computing, and the registration of reality warping metahumans. The first one on that list means we have an accurate map of the entire world that continues to be updated. Anyone who works with these things professionally, or obsesses over satellite imaging in their free time, would have a comprehensive understanding of gross geography, and some part of their subconscious would be like, "No, I know how this works, and what I have always known has been changed somehow." Quantum computing allows technicians to access data based on the quantum level where these changes take place. In a state where time lacks its conventional meaning, one can observe that reality has been altered. Finally, there is registration. Every metahuman capable of altering reality on a fundamental level is required to report any changes they have made, and any changes they did not but are aware happened.

Why do I still talk like the average person doesn't know incursions happen? Because they don't know. Even with these modern changes, the average populace is not privy to such data. If the incursion appeared in Asia, they will just observe Asia to be "how it always was." If the incursion appeared in the Pacific Ocean, they will know that there has always been another landmass there, but the common consensus is that the landmass has not been explored yet, but will. People are already on that, they'd have to be, so there's no need to look into it. It's akin to the bystander complex where you don't help somebody in need because somebody's going to help him. Doesn't have to be you. Are there people who resist that and choose to help? Absolutely. And likewise, there are people who feel the need to explore that landmass, even though somebody probably already is.

In short: an Incursion doesn't mean a world just plops down where it wasn't before. It means there is a bridging that will allow some things to leak in. If the Dragonborn tries to walk out of Tamriel, he will almost certainly end up on Nirn, not Earth. Barring the chance that he finds or makes a gateway. Why do Incursions matter? Because it narrows the gap, making it easier for something to cross over. It's a "thinning of the veil." Anyone who makes it through is not assumed to come from another world, or from an incursion. If some Magicka user wanders out of Tamriel through a portal, people will think it's one of those Hogwarts guys acting up again. The Elric brothers are just "foreign." If all else fails, Aliens. Just aliens from another planet.

I don't know which "magical martial arts" you're referring to, and your question is worded a little confusingly. Simply put, Alchemy in Amestris is not the same as all Alchemy in all settings. For example, Alchemy in Tamriel. Very different style and function. So if Amestris' version comes here, then it should come from Amestris in some way. But how did it start in Amestris, and is it possible that a connection to Fusionverse changed the original model?

Because Fullmetal Alchemist features technology that did not exist in the Holy Roman Empire. Rotary phone? 1919. Steam locomotive? 1814. Automobile? 1886. The first medium tank? Late 1890's, early 1900's. That would be like changing Justice League so it takes place in the Middle Ages, ignoring all the tech that exists in the modern age.
Yeah that was my mistake. Fullmetal Alchemist is set in 1911. The reason they have rotary phones is probably because Alchemy makes certain materials easier to produce, thus speeding up technological process a tad. We can even set this earlier if we wish with the power of Sparks in this setting, who can jumpstart technological process in different areas.

People don't just "assume" an incursion has always been there, because they don't know about it. In order to know an incursion has taken place, one must be savvy about reality warping and so forth, or have a superhuman understanding of geography. For example, do you know every landmass that exists in the Pacific? Do you know where every village is in Asia? You would have to have a comparable, pure understanding of how the world is laid out, and how it got that way, to get that something had changed. Why? Because the incursion changes the past and the future in unison with the present, since it is an interweaving of space and time from two different universes.

A big part of how things changed in recent history is the invention of things like the satellite, quantum computing, and the registration of reality warping metahumans. The first one on that list means we have an accurate map of the entire world that continues to be updated. Anyone who works with these things professionally, or obsesses over satellite imaging in their free time, would have a comprehensive understanding of gross geography, and some part of their subconscious would be like, "No, I know how this works, and what I have always known has been changed somehow." Quantum computing allows technicians to access data based on the quantum level where these changes take place. In a state where time lacks its conventional meaning, one can observe that reality has been altered. Finally, there is registration. Every metahuman capable of altering reality on a fundamental level is required to report any changes they have made, and any changes they did not but are aware happened.

Why do I still talk like the average person doesn't know incursions happen? Because they don't know. Even with these modern changes, the average populace is not privy to such data. If the incursion appeared in Asia, they will just observe Asia to be "how it always was." If the incursion appeared in the Pacific Ocean, they will know that there has always been another landmass there, but the common consensus is that the landmass has not been explored yet, but will. People are already on that, they'd have to be, so there's no need to look into it. It's akin to the bystander complex where you don't help somebody in need because somebody's going to help him. Doesn't have to be you. Are there people who resist that and choose to help? Absolutely. And likewise, there are people who feel the need to explore that landmass, even though somebody probably already is.

In short: an Incursion doesn't mean a world just plops down where it wasn't before. It means there is a bridging that will allow some things to leak in. If the Dragonborn tries to walk out of Tamriel, he will almost certainly end up on Nirn, not Earth. Barring the chance that he finds or makes a gateway. Why do Incursions matter? Because it narrows the gap, making it easier for something to cross over. It's a "thinning of the veil." Anyone who makes it through is not assumed to come from another world, or from an incursion. If some Magicka user wanders out of Tamriel through a portal, people will think it's one of those Hogwarts guys acting up again. The Elric brothers are just "foreign." If all else fails, Aliens. Just aliens from another planet.
...I'm sorry, are you trying to say a continent can appear in the middle of nowhere and people will not notice? Even barring the idea that fishermen or sailors might not run into a continent where one did not exist before, the people who got incursioned will realise something is different. They can look up and see the stars are different! Also I don't see how hiding this information from the general population benefits any large organsiation or government. If anything, I imagine they would want to colonise this new area like they would any other new country, find a new land of resources to exploit etc.
I don't know which "magical martial arts" you're referring to, and your question is worded a little confusingly.
Which magical martial arts? There are so many (by magic I mean supernatural). Roshi's Turtle style from Dragonball lets you throw beams of energy out of your hand. Naruto ninjutsu, Subzero's ice martial arts, All Wuxia movies like crouchin Tiger Hidden dragon, Kung Fu Panda, Woo Foo from Yin Yang Yo etc. These are all supernatural martial arts that people (or in some cases animal people) figured out on their own, without needing to go to another celestial realm.

Therefore I think it's better if Alchemy/Alkahestry is homegrown, a product made in Fusionverse, rather than an import. In a world with supernatural threats and wizards taking advantage of muggles, it makes sense that normal people would use science to make their own way to fight back.

Simply put, Alchemy in Amestris is not the same as all Alchemy in all settings. For example, Alchemy in Tamriel. Very different style and function. So if Amestris' version comes here, then it should come from Amestris in some way. But how did it start in Amestris, and is it possible that a connection to Fusionverse changed the original model?
Amestris style Alchemy and Xing style Alkahestry were both founded 350 years before the start of the series (so about 1561) by two different tutors. Amestris learned from 'The Philosopher from the East' and Xing learned from 'The Philisopher from the West'. The styles are similar but the sources are distinct. Alkahestry uses 'Dragon Pulses' basically the background Chi/energy in the world to power their Alchemy, with a preference for healing powers, but still able to do most of what normal Alchemy can do. Amestris style alchemy can also do this (with a preference for scientific energy such as potential techtonic energy from tectonic plates), however their entire country has had it's background chi funneled and manipulated in unnatural ways, to funnel a unique Alchemist circle (unknown to most of the inhabitants of Amestris, including it's Alchemists). This is no longer the case at the end of the series, and presumably Alchemy still works.

The Philosophers were actually the last survivors of another kingdom called Xerses (very similar to our version of the Persian Empire), which had mastered Alchemy and other sciences. They were destroyed by a Homunculus who tricked them into sacrificing the entire kingdom in an act of Alchemy to grant the king eternal life, but instead of giving the king eternal life, it gave the Homunculus and his servant Slave 23 eternal life as well as incredible ability with Alchemy. The two parted ways, the slave becoming the Philosopher of the West and the Homunculus becoming the Philosopher of The East.

Does that make sense? Anything you want me to clarify?

Yeah that was my mistake. Fullmetal Alchemist is set in 1911. The reason they have rotary phones is probably because Alchemy makes certain materials easier to produce, thus speeding up technological process a tad. We can even set this earlier if we wish with the power of Sparks in this setting, who can jumpstart technological process in different areas.

...I'm sorry, are you trying to say a continent can appear in the middle of nowhere and people will not notice? Even barring the idea that fishermen or sailors might not run into a continent where one did not exist before, the people who got incursioned will realise something is different. They can look up and see the stars are different! Also I don't see how hiding this information from the general population benefits any large organsiation or government. If anything, I imagine they would want to colonise this new area like they would any other new country, find a new land of resources to exploit etc.

Which magical martial arts? There are so many (by magic I mean supernatural). Roshi's Turtle style from Dragonball lets you throw beams of energy out of your hand. Naruto ninjutsu, Subzero's ice martial arts, All Wuxia movies like crouchin Tiger Hidden dragon, Kung Fu Panda, Woo Foo from Yin Yang Yo etc. These are all supernatural martial arts that people (or in some cases animal people) figured out on their own, without needing to go to another celestial realm.

Therefore I think it's better if Alchemy/Alkahestry is homegrown, a product made in Fusionverse, rather than an import. In a world with supernatural threats and wizards taking advantage of muggles, it makes sense that normal people would use science to make their own way to fight back.

Amestris style Alchemy and Xing style Alkahestry were both founded 350 years before the start of the series (so about 1561) by two different tutors. Amestris learned from 'The Philosopher from the East' and Xing learned from 'The Philisopher from the West'. The styles are similar but the sources are distinct. Alkahestry uses 'Dragon Pulses' basically the background Chi/energy in the world to power their Alchemy, with a preference for healing powers, but still able to do most of what normal Alchemy can do. Amestris style alchemy can also do this (with a preference for scientific energy such as potential techtonic energy from tectonic plates), however their entire country has had it's background chi funneled and manipulated in unnatural ways, to funnel a unique Alchemist circle (unknown to most of the inhabitants of Amestris, including it's Alchemists). This is no longer the case at the end of the series, and presumably Alchemy still works.

The Philosophers were actually the last survivors of another kingdom called Xerses (very similar to our version of the Persian Empire), which had mastered Alchemy and other sciences. They were destroyed by a Homunculus who tricked them into sacrificing the entire kingdom in an act of Alchemy to grant the king eternal life, but instead of giving the king eternal life, it gave the Homunculus and his servant Slave 23 eternal life as well as incredible ability with Alchemy. The two parted ways, the slave becoming the Philosopher of the West and the Homunculus becoming the Philosopher of The East.

Does that make sense? Anything you want me to clarify?

We can absolutely make a jump in technology, but having the Holy Roman Empire have Amestris' access to technology is too far a jump. No, I'm NOT saying a continent "appears out of nowhere." Think of it like the Upside Down from the show Stranger Things. The incursion exists totally in parallel to Fusionverse, but can only be seen or encountered in specific places and times. You could be standing in the middle of Tamriel, and not know; neither would anyone or anything in Tamriel know that you're there. Only by finding a stronger point of crossover could you witness and affect Tamriel (likewise being seen and affected by it).

Now, that's all beside the point. Tamriel is an incursion, but I have presented the position of Amestris being a K'un-Lun equivalent. It exists in Iraq, but the entrance can only be accessed at certain times. When the entrance is closed, that part of Iraq does not contain Amestris. When the entrance is open, passing through it takes you to a sort of pocket dimension -- a part of Iraq you can't normally find (i.e. the world in which FMA takes place). Since the entrance only opens every now and then, and Amestrians don't want to be stranded here, they don't just send out an invasion force and shake up the course of events too much. What we would see is that some people (probably the initiated and not just the general public) would know about Amestris, and they would have AN EFFECT on Alchemy as Earth knows it. Did you read nothing I showed you about Alchemy? It took form out of varied philosophies from all over our world. We could absolutely have Earth's version of Alchemy take points of inspiration from the varieties found in Tamriel and Amestris. But FMA features a type that is different from TES, fundamentally. And Amestris is fundamentally NOT on Earth, so there is no reason to make it a native, permanent part of Earth.

Do not confuse the terminology we're using here. Supernatural does not mean Magic, and "Magic" and "Ki-based Martial Arts" are separate and shall remain so. It's not Magic in Dragon Ball, and it's not here. Roshi's Turtle style helps a person learn to control every aspect of their physical being, including their natural physical energy. That is no more Magical in Fusionverse than punching is. Now, casting an incantation that draws on your Chi to transform a person? That's magic.

Naruto's Ninjutsu is not magic. This has been established already. It is a learned admixture of Ki and PSI to control a product of the God Tree, a special kind of Reiatsu known as Chakra, which was placed in some humans by Hagaromo Otsutsuki. No more magical than punching.

The Cryomancer powers in MK are, as far as the wiki describes, a sort of Kekkei Genkai or Wild Card situation, endemic to the Cryomancer species (natives of Edenia). Not magic, though it can be amplified by certain artifacts.

Wuxia's use of Qinggong and Nei Jin are both Chi based.

Those are all training to use one's personal attributes as an extension of one's body. Alchemy is inherently different in every way, and the FMA version even forbids personal transmutation. Alchemy deals in the changing of the world's materials into other forms, though the fuel of this power is debated. In FMA, it is revealed that most Alchemy is powered by a sort of artificial ley line grid connected to Father, and by extension, a product of Philosopher's Stone use. Taking the souls of other people through trapping and condensing them (which I would consider akin to Cosmic magic in practice) and utilizing this power through exact measures and methods (akin to Iconic magic in practice). If we want to define this as a "science" and not magic, that's fine, but it also fits the bill for magic as I have defined it in Fusionverse.
Since it has no point of comparison to your listed "magic martial arts," none of which are magic or alchemy anyway, I don't see your point.

From what you're describing of Alkahestry, it seems like an exact match for Chi-fueled Iconic magic in my format. From what I've read of Alchemy in FMA, the tectonic energy thing was a hoax, though one with some resemblance to reality (as tectonics CAN be used). Until the end of the series, modern Alchemy relies on Father's Philosopher's Stone powers.

What does real Alchemy have to do with anything? Real Alchemy is a debunked science! TES Alchemy is just potion making with a fancy title! It's got nothing to do with Fullmetal Alchemy.

When you initially described incurions you used the example of the Oz from the Wizard of Oz, saying that it was an actual country. Now you are saying they are just portals to other dimension, rips in realities where people can walk through or think through.

I just don't see the point of adding a level of complexity of saying Fullmetal Alchemist and it's cast exist in some other world. We have gone to great lengths to try and get everything else into Fusionverse best we can, even cartoons, but for some reason you keep pushing to keep it separate. I want to see a World War One with Roy Mustang and other alchemists fighting Anton Arcane, while Spark powered machinery and cobbled together remains of Martian walkers go toe to toe. I want to know where Elric and his brother go and who they meet in their journey around the world as they spread Alchemy, what adventures they get into, what heroes/villains they inspire.

But keeping it all in another dimension, so only a rare few can interact with it...that's so lame. It's so boring and a real waste of a great setting with great characters.

Look mate, you can do whatever you want, it's your story. I guess all you can do now is write it, cause I'm not sure we're gonna be able to give you more help here.

What does real Alchemy have to do with anything? Real Alchemy is a debunked science! TES Alchemy is just potion making with a fancy title! It's got nothing to do with Fullmetal Alchemy.

When you initially described incurions you used the example of the Oz from the Wizard of Oz, saying that it was an actual country. Now you are saying they are just portals to other dimension, rips in realities where people can walk through or think through.

I just don't see the point of adding a level of complexity of saying Fullmetal Alchemist and it's cast exist in some other world. We have gone to great lengths to try and get everything else into Fusionverse best we can, even cartoons, but for some reason you keep pushing to keep it separate. I want to see a World War One with Roy Mustang and other alchemists fighting Anton Arcane, while Spark powered machinery and cobbled together remains of Martian walkers go toe to toe. I want to know where Elric and his brother go and who they meet in their journey around the world as they spread Alchemy, what adventures they get into, what heroes/villains they inspire.

But keeping it all in another dimension, so only a rare few can interact with it...that's so lame. It's so boring and a real waste of a great setting with great characters.

Look mate, you can do whatever you want, it's your story. I guess all you can do now is write it, cause I'm not sure we're gonna be able to give you more help here.

I'm starting to think you're trolling. One, real Alchemy has EVERYTHING to do with this, when we talking about how to integrate one setting's version of Alchemy into other worlds. Two, you are being extremely dismissive about other settings.

Alchemy is not an idea that FMA or even TES invented. It is based on the real-world principle, and given a fantastic flair. So it is prudent to examine the origins and description of Alchemy in the real world, whether it was successful or not.

As for the other settings, I don't really like your tone. It doesn't matter if magic is fake and superheroes aren't real, because we're dealing with many worlds where those things are very real. Bringing up that real Alchemy didn't work is just as irrelevant as saying Heat Vision doesn't make sense. We're using DC, so Heat Vision is a thing. We're using multiple settings that include Alchemy, so Alchemy is a thing. And regarding The Elder Scrolls, who cares if their Alchemy isn't as exciting as FMA? It's called Alchemy and it is a much better approximation of real Alchemy than anything Ed does. Essentially, a primitive and ritualistic form of science, especially chemistry.

You also misunderstood why I was getting into the mechanics of Oz. The world of Oz is NOT an incursion. It is part of a "real" continent that was always on Earth, to which you can arrive by tornado. However, the continent is difficult to find or reach except by magic.

You think I'm the one who's adding complexity to Amestris? You're the one who wanted to reorganize centuries of Earth's history unnecessarily to make Amestris be the Holy Roman Empire, albeit HRE with super anime alchemy and HIGHLY advanced tech for the time. It already does exist in a world that is not Earth, so that's not introducing complexity at all.

Don't give me your petty threats. I fully expected to work on this project by myself, and while I greatly welcome input, I am not contractually obligated to keep you on or make use of your ideas. Ever since the Harry Potter debacle, you've been quite vigorous in your opposition to my ideas, and it's wearing on me.

What We're Doing
The purpose of this project has been to blend the elements of these worlds as much as possible, within practicality, but the idea was never for them to all be native to one place. I too wish to explore these concepts crossing paths, but I have a vision as to how that should be done. All the worlds that claim to be on Earth, I will composite into the same Earth. If they are other planets explicitly, then they will be other planets in the same universe. If they are other dimensions or universes that do not include Earth, then they will interfere in limited events via incursions.

That is what I am doing here. Anyone who wants to be a part of it, you are absolutely welcome.

First Draft of Concept, part 12
Alongside forces of magic, teams of superhuman beings defending the world have existed for thousands of years. The Powers Twelve ruled over Anatolia and the eastern Mediterranean, unopposed for many an age. They were Zeos, She-Ra, Thena, Phaeton, Teris, Phorditi, Triton, Shedes, Apollux, Temisia, Hemercy, and Bauchal. Some were Eternals who came to Earth to watch over mankind in their earliest years. Others were among En Sabah Nur's first generation of Mutants. Then there were some who, like Doctor Fate, bought mystic power through a life-binding contract with an even more ancient being. Several of these beings, including Zeos and his son He-Man (the first He-Man, just as his stepmother was the first She-Ra), as well as Hemercy, and Zeos' uncle Atalos, would later be called upon by Teth Adam and later Billy Batson, through the power of the wizard Shazam. They and their monstrous servants would also be bound by special stone tablets, so that the Ancient Egyptians under Atem could use them in their Shadow Games. As tales of their greatness spread over the land, the Powers Twelve would come to be known as gods of much of the known world. But they would not go uncontested. A small tribe of early Amestrians, back in a time where Amestris was little different from the mundane world to which it connected, would venture out into the Fertile Crescent as nomads. Having no exposure to the Powers Twelve, they worshiped only the Truth, a personification of infallible knowledge (and power, as they believed there to be an equivalency between the two). This Truth would come to be confused with various local gods, all of whom influenced by tales of the Twelve. Taking what the tribe viewed to be the most admirable traits of these gods, the tribe declared their Truth to be superior (later singular) in his divinity. The tribe would have many entanglements with ancient powers of the day, as they grew and prospered, such as: the reign of En Sabah Nur, the kingdom of Katar Hol and Shayera Hol, the growing empire founded under the banner of the Powers Twelve, and the earliest incursions of Tamriel upon the Planet Earth. These stories would go unrecorded and unremembered in human history, except in the collected works of the tribe's writers, who referred to these people and places by different names. An elusive being claiming to be the God of this tribe would go on to establish a powerful celestial bureaucracy (to which the Hand was opposed), create legions of angels to serve him, and later stamp out a revolution among his own ranks. Supposedly perfect in their loyalty to the Truth, the insurrection swelled to cover a third of his great host, then were cast out for their insubordination. They, along with their leader, were sent to the infernal realm that played host to such beings as Cyttorak, Mephisto, and the primal Inferno, though they have since ranged out to interfere in the affairs of humans. Among them, the legendary Hell-Spawn (simply known as Spawn), and the Spirit of Vengeance who calls himself Ghost Rider.

In the hey-day of the people once known only as the Tribe, they had come to be ruled by two great kings, fought off a great invading force believed to be either aliens, demons, or demons from Mars, and established their people as a great power in the lands west of Amestris (north-east of Egypt). One of the last great king's sons, Sol Amon, desired to be greater than all those who ruled the land before him. It is said that he met with the Truth in a dream, and was promised great power and great wealth, but that Sol Amon chose wisdom instead. What really happened is that, having come to possess the Helmet of Nabu for some time, Sol Amon refused to wear it. When the Helmet could take this no more, it spoke to him, offering to make him great among all men. Playing simple, Sol Amon tricked the Helmet into having many long, philosophical conversations in Sol Amon's private chambers, during which he learned several profound secrets about magic, alchemy, the other dimensions, and how Planet Earth had been shaped by incursions into or from other worlds. Using what he learned, Sol Amon created the Great and Lesser Keys of Sol Amon, two of the most renowned mystical tomes ever written, and bound one hundred extra-dimensional powers to his service (though legend would go on to say it was 100 demons, only some of them were). With these great powers, he inspired mundane and metaphysical balance in his domain, and in many kingdoms neighboring his own. When at last he gifted the Helmet of Nabu to his vizier, Fate was eager to avenge the clever play. But Sol Amon was no force of Chaos; he was the greatest Order the land had ever known. Thus was Fate bound to serve him for a time. It is not known for sure how the glorious reign of King Sol Amon ended, only that it did; there are tales of him journeying to the afterlife before his time, or being eaten in his blind old age by the demons he thought he commanded, but these have not been confirmed.

First Draft of Concept, part 13
It would be Earth's supernatural heritage that would spell the downfall of one of its great protectors, and the rising of his son as the successor to his heroic mantle. Much of the events of Asia's history went outside the notice of Superman, who usually protected America unless a great enough threat called to his attention. So after Asian hero Uzumaki Naruto had helped his people defeat Orochimaru, Pain, the Akatsuki, and Sasuke Uchiha, there was finally a threat that was worth Clark Kent's notice, enough to take him across the world. That threat would be Madara Uchiha, one of the most powerful Shinobi who ever lived, and now the possessor of the indomitable Ten Tails creature. With it occupying his body, and him having complete mastery of its power as its Jinchuriki, Madara was poised to take over the world. He used an ancient Genjutsu called the Infinite Tsukuyomi, and in conjunction with the moon, put nearly everyone on Earth under its power. Superman, being far too strong against such effects, was able to break free, but he could not shake Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, or even his cousin Kara Zor El (Supergirl) from Madara's power. Superman flew to the land where Madara's battle was taking place, and stole the victory from Naruto and his band of friends. Even with how powerful Madara was, he didn't stand a chance against Superman. That is, until Kaguya Otsutsuki burst forth from Madara's body and took Superman into a different dimension. There, she used an infusion of her Chakra and ancient Magic to exploit one of Superman's greatest weaknesses, and was able to kill him in combat. She returned to Earth battered but swiftly recovering, and that meant Naruto and team had no problem taking back the victory at that point. With Superman dead in another dimension, his body unrecoverable, the legacy passed on to his son, Jon Kent. The new Superman made a deal with the heroes of Asia who were more accustomed to dealing with mystical enemies: if they could keep their enemies contained on that side of the world, he would not intervene and would let them handle it. But if the threat grew too great, he would be bound by honor and the memory of his father to step in.
That promise would soon be called upon. He knew when the Saiyans Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta arrived on the planet. He heard their conversations and their battles with Goku and the Z Warriors. But he trusted that Goku had it covered, even when Vegeta aimed a planet-destroying attack at Earth. This was not a problem the public would be aware of. Even when Dr. Gero's Androids went on a rampage, he let Goku's team handle it. But then a bio-android named Cell took a hold of their broadcasts and sent a message to the world: if a challenger in a tournament of his making could not defeat him, Cell would destroy the Earth and spare no one and nothing on it. This could not stand. He confronted Goku in private, telling him that Cell had to be destroyed. He could make it quick, and no one would be caught in the crossfire. But Goku thought that sounded under-handed, and refused to let Jon Kent get involved. Superman called him on the accords, saying that he had sworn to get involved if there was a worthy threat to Earth. This argument came to blows, and it was a battle that could have lasted days, if not for the deadline Cell put in place. The rumor spread by the Z Warriors is that Goku blinded him with the Solar Flare technique, knocked him unconscious with a pressure point strike, and used Instant Transmission to send him far away. Superman could easily get back, but not before Goku had his fair shot at Cell. The rumor spread by the Justice League (namely, Flash) was that Superman broke Goku's hip to put a pause on their fight, and said they would settle this after Cell was destroyed. However, even if that story is true, the televised footage shows Goku fighting Cell, and the story circulated by Hercule is that Hercule dealt the finishing blow, so it sounds like Superman wasn't involved either way. Perhaps he chose to let Goku handle it, after all. Majin Buu later posed a threat worthy of Superman's attention, but seeing as he spent the entire ordeal transformed into candy (again, the weakness to magic) and had to be saved by Doctor Fate, he didn't end up fighting the jelly-bellied monster. Since the Buu saga, Superman has given Asia's heroes as much freedom as possible, and has been humbled enough to call on the likes of Fate, Strange, and Zatanna when magic is involved on his own turf or abroad. There is also the tale of Jon Kent meeting Saitama (aka Caped Baldy), and how a convoluted dare led to Saitama cold-cocking him with a punch clear out of Earth's orbit, but Superman swears that never happened.

In the modern day, the long-forgotten Shadow Games of Egypt have been revived by Maximillian Pegasus and his company, Industrial Illusions. They created the Duel Monsters card game as an elaborate ruse to draw in other holders of mystic artifacts called the Millennium Items. Pegasus himself has the Millennium Eye, which grants him provident sight through many forms of media, including the mind, and was instrumental in helping him create a card game that actually had attunement to the monsters and spells of old. He would come to be confronted by Yugi Muto, who had assembled the Millennium Puzzle and wore it around his neck, making him the vessel of his distant ancestor -- the Pharaoh Atem. Since Yugi defeated Pegasus at his Duelist Kingdom, and later challenged billionaire Seto Kaiba at the tournament's spiritual successor -- Duel City -- Yugi became known as the King of Games, and helped cement this trading card game as an economic staple in society, famed and played worldwide. It acts a sort of second currency parallel to those of all nations, as a great many people play the game and find the cards valuable. Zatanna and Doctor Strange have both assembled Duel Monsters decks, though they rarely play the game; it is merely a means by which they can continue to keep a closer eye on the holders of Millennium Items. Oddly, Doctor Fate has no cards, and refuses to comment on why.

First Draft of Concept, part 14
Before recorded history, a primordial guardian of the Spirit World created seven beautiful crystals to represent the seven SOUL traits: Determination, Bravery, Justice, Kindness, Patience, Integrity, and Perseverance. This guardian was known as Chaos-0. Over all of them, Chaos made an eighth crystal, a gigantic Emerald, that would control their spiritual powers. But the Echidna spirit known as Pachamac made an attempt to steal the Emeralds to use against his enemies. Chaos absorbed the power of the Emeralds to become Perfect Chaos, wiping out most of the Echidna tribe, leaving Knuckles to guard the emeralds after Tikal sealed herself and Chaos in the Master Emerald. Many years later, an industrialist from Republic City by the name of Dr. Ivo Kintobor traveled through the Spirit Portal in his city to study the Spirit World's properties with technology he could not use meditation to bring. While in there, he became corrupted by a strange egg-shaped spirit, transforming into Dr. Robotnik. Driven mad, Robotnik sought to industrialize the Spirit World, capturing spirits and using their energy to power his machines. Time and time again, his plans were foiled by Sonic the Hedgehog, the fastest thing alive (at least in the Spirit World). But where Sonic won every war, Eggman won many smaller battles, with lasting effects on the Spirit World. His experiments with Force Point technology had to be protected, and so the areas around his secret labs and factories became more modernized. When he learned to integrate Krazoa spirits into his Force Point structures, much of the Spirit World started pulling together into a homogenous mass, resembling a planet. Around this planet, there exists a starry void that is the realm of the Black Arms, a hostile spirit race governed by Black Doom, a contemporary of Mephisto, Dormammu, and Inferno. He had been injured and gravely weakened by his battle with these "old friends," and sought the Chaos Emeralds to restore his true Devil form. His void realm is not true outer space, but a barrier made to isolate the "Earth" where Sonic and Eggman reside from the rest of the spirit world, and from two of the three portals granting access to the human world. Of course, the term "Human World" is a bit outdated, since clearing the Fog of Memory released many spirit-form humans into this place. Now what remains of a once contiguous world, at least outside the Black Arms sphere, are shards of dream-like land floating in an endless mire of energy. It is to this limbo that the other two portals lead. The intention was for the Black Arms to control the entire sphere unquestioned, but Sonic and his friends have stood in the way of that.

After Merlin's betrayal released magic to the mortal world, two great wielders of it became locked in a battle that raged across time and space. The ancient wizard Zordon battled the evil sorceress Rita Repulsa, until their final battleground ten thousand years ago, where he finally defeated her with five magical power coins and sealed her away; though Rita managed to trap him in a time warp before he could finish the job. A few decades ago, Rita and her minions managed to escape millennia of confinement. Zordon had to instruct his assistant to recruit five humans, grant them the Power Coins, and make them the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. When their enemy Master Vile reverted the Rangers into powerless children, the Alien Rangers of Aquitar retrieved the Zeo Crystal, restored the planet, and gave the Power to a new team of Rangers. These Zeo Rangers continued on, eventually changing to Turbo powers when their Zeo powers were not sufficient for a great journey they needed to make. The Turbo Rangers were defeated by their enemy, Divatox, and left for space in search of their missing mentor, Zordon. A new Red Ranger arrived and allowed them to transform into Space Rangers. When Andros the Red Ranger was forced to destroy Zordon to defeat their enemy Astronema, his purifying energies turned all evil in the galaxy into dust (though some evil beings like Rita, Zedd, and Divatox were instead purified and made human, and some dead villains were revived in mortal form as well, including Astronema now known as Karone). A year later, the GSA launched the space colony Terra Venture in search of a new world for Earth's people. An evil being called Scorpius invaded a distant world (outside the Milky Way, which had been purified of evil), which prompted a young native of Mirinoi named Maya to run through a dimensional portal for help. She found Terra Venture, and recruited Kendrix Morgan and Mike Corbett to come back to Mirinoi and help. Their friend Kai Chen stayed behind, but eventually employed the Astro Megaship and Damon Henderson to take him to Mirinoi. The group reunited on Mirinoi, drew the Quasar Sabers, and became Galaxy Rangers. One of their enemies, Deviot, recited an ancient spell to send them to the Lost Galaxy, and by the time the Galaxy Rangers escaped, they found a habitable planet. Deviot was defeated, the Astro Megaship was sacrificed to protect the colony, and the Rangers gave up their Quasar Sabers and their powers, restoring the petrified people of Mirinoi to life, and reviving their lost friend Kendrix. Back on Earth, demons threatened to rise from their ancient burial ground under Mariner Bay. A government organization called Lightspeed recruited five civilians to defend the city, aided by special technology that let them become Power Rangers, until a final showdown with the demons destroyed their equipment. Since that time, there have been several other Ranger teams, including a band of Shinobi, a dojo of modern Samurai, two teams wielding ancient Dinosaur powers like Earth's first Ranger squad did, and an assortment of others.

Brief Aside: Fairness of Smash Bros.
As a brief aside from recent work, here is some research I've compiled regarding the characters featured in Super Smash Bros. If their full, loyal portrayals were all in Fusionverse, would the fight still be fair?

No. That's the short answer.

Fox McCloud is rated between Wall tier (unarmed) and Small Building tier (with his best weapons), but can reach Multi-Continent level with his vehicles. His running speed is Superhuman (about triple that of a human) with Supersonic combat and reaction speeds, and his Arwing allows FTL flight. Even against Captain Falcon, Fox would need his Arwing if he hoped to survive a single unarmed blow.

Jigglypuff is Multi-City Block level (if we don't count Wigglytuff), can move at Massively Hypersonic+ speeds, can lift the same as Captain Falcon, and can occasionally cause opponents of the opposite sex to fail their attack. That affects different fighters depending on which sex Jigglypuff is. Most of Jigglypuff's attacks can reach hundreds of meters.

Captain Falcon is rated as Town Level tier, with attacks able to destroy a Large Town,a Subsonic running speed (and the durability to match), Supersonic+ reaction speed and combat speed, a lifting strength of about 1-to-5 thousand pounds, and a racing vehicle that can manipulate gravity and travel through dimensions (and move above supersonic speed).

Donkey Kong is rated as Country tier, with attacks able to destroy a Country (and durability to match), a massively hypersonic running speed, and a lifting strength on par with the weight of a pickup truck. Essentially, DK could cross three kilometers in one second, and regardless of which battlefield they fought on, DK could simply annihilate the whole battlefield in a single blow. Anyone who survives will continue the fight in a crater the size of Italy. Beyond that, DK can resist mind control, manipulate energy, and create disasters on the level of a hurricane or nuclear blast.

Kirby is nothing short of terrifying, being rated as Multi-Solar System tier and being able to move massively FTL+ without vehicular assistance, including Flight, and a lifting strength able to lift the mass of a Large Planet. Beyond that, Kirby is rated as a Genius-level intellect, is too small to defend against effectively, capable of magic and Toon Force (cartoonish reality warping), extreme Regeneration, immortal, able to continue on as a VERY powerful ghost when killed (and can regain living form by feeding on life force), and MANY other powers. And that is all without absorbing people and using their abilities, which is Kirby's signature ability. Anyone inhaled is not just inside a stomach, but taken to another dimension that Kirby has complete control over. Where DK could destroy a whole battlefield, Kirby could destroy the planet, star, and everything in that system.

Link is a much more complicated matter, as there are so many different kinds. I will be using a composite, and comparing it to young and adult versions of the Hero of Time (Ocarina Link). Composite Link is rated Universal without taking equipment into account, while Young Link is rated Mountain level, and Adult Link is rated Large Planet level and Star level. Composite Link is Massively Hypersonic+ with Relativistic+ reactions, while Young Link is Supersonic+ with Relativistic reactions, and Adult Link is Massively Hypersonic+ with Relativistic+ reactions.

Some Analysis
Something core that hasn't really been addressed, with regards to the purpose of Fusionverse, is how elements of the different settings interact. My attempt to create a unified magic system was one such example. But what about items? Power-Ups? Technology in a general sense?

Let us first look to Super Mario Bros., as a franchise, not just the game by that name. There are large mushrooms (about Mario's size before he uses one), that have the ability to double your height, let you defeat enemies you were not strong enough to beat before, and damage or destroy your surroundings. Recent games have somewhat lost sight of the purpose the Super Mushroom held. If we assume Mario's height to be about 5'7'' normally, then a power that doubles his height would make him around eleven foot two inches tall. Likewise, his weight might be about 180 lbs., but if it was likewise doubled by the mushroom, then he would weigh a whopping 360 lbs. Wow! Ordinarily, Mario is able to jostle obstacles made of brick, but in this new giant form, he can shatter them. That would mean his depicted strength of street level is improved by one stage. Now consider the figures I have found regarding the strength of Mario and his brother, Luigi. At present, well after their iconic game was released, fans have calculated the brothers' individual lifting strength to be Class G, with a Large Star Class striking strength and durability. Now, to my knowledge, speed is not affected by the mushroom, so we'll leave that out. Just looking at power alone, base form Mario would rise from Class G lifting to Class T, and from Large Star Class striking to Solar System level or even higher.

His durability would scale likewise, since the two are the same, even though the Super Mushroom has no demonstrated effect on durability (consider that, in Super Mario Bros., Mario can fall from a distance 8-10 times his height, and it won't kill, hurt, or even slow him down, and there is no damage to the floor; perhaps the NES was not the best system for demonstrating Mario's true durability). Suffice it to say, videogames must work within certain limitations for gameplay, so we can't have Young Link being able to demolish a large mountain with a single strike. Likewise, the Octoroks and Stalfos are able to damage such a monstrous hero because either: a) they are likewise quite powerful, or b) the game must be balanced. Consider also that Young Link is estimated to have Supersonic+ travel speed, and Relativistic reactions and combat speed. Since it is unrealistic to assume that every Like Like and Lizalfos he encounters can approach the speed of light, the more likely explanation for how they can fight him is limitations of the medium.

Let's see where these calculations can go. If Captain Falcon "ate" a mushroom (we don't really know how the mushrooms are applied), he would increase to Class 10 lifting, and City Class or even Large City class striking and durability. Donkey Kong would increase to Class 50 lifting, and Large Country level striking and durability. Young Link, as mentioned before, would increase to Class 100 lifting, and Mountain Range Class striking and durability. Basically, in Fusionverse, these mushrooms would be highly sought-after, and likely restricted to specific users or those lucky enough to find one in the wild. It is also unclear, since we have only seen them affecting someone near Mario's level, how they would affect a much more powerful being like Kirby (if they would affect him at all).

What else does the Mario franchise have? Fire Flowers and 1-Up Mushrooms. The aforementioned Super Mushroom has an in-game property where the effects are permanent, unless the user is sufficiently damaged (in the game, being damaged at all will do this, but consider that even Giant Mario of the time was approximately Wall Level; that could mean that you must be struck by an attack as potent as your current durability, or more). When transformed by a Fire Flower, a user struck by the same level of power will revert to Super Form, but not all the way down to base form. At minimum, this means the Fire Flower transformation stacks a layer of durability identical to your own. High-balling it, the Fire Flower may be able to negate a single attack of any magnitude, but sacrifice its benefits in the process. Then there is the matter of Extra Life items, such as the 1-Up Mushroom. Mario begins the game with a certain number of lives. Does that mean he innately has this resurrection property, or that the game abstraction just gives you a certain number of chances? Since it does not make sense for Mario's natural resurrection ability to have a cap, without some fuel source, deity, or other Word of God explanation, I would venture that the number of lives you start with can be attributed to this formula:

(Mario's original or current existence + number of 1Up mushrooms he collected before)

In other words, Mario cannot naturally resurrect himself, but has collected a certain number of 1Ups before. This allows him to return to a fixed point in the current area after his demise. I would attribute this to a sort of automatic Farore's Wind, the spell from Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. Instead of sending Link back to the start of a dungeon when manually activated, the 1Up mushroom automatically returns Mario to such a starting point, and at peak health for his base form, in the event that he suffers a fatal blow. We can then say that anyone in Fusionverse who collects these mushrooms, or the Bafomdads from Sauria (Star Fox Adventures), or any similar such item not deemed to be a game abstraction, the item will rescue them from an injury that would have killed them, and teleport them to the border of whatever area in which the threat was encountered. Checkpoints will also have to be figured out at some point down the line, but that's for another time.

Most of Mario's other items are far simpler, being suits, hats, or other clothing items that confer a very basic transformation or power. But there are other settings to explore. One rich with collectible items and powers is Legend of Zelda. But I'll save more of that discussion for another time.

I shudder to think what Link would be capable of with a Super Shroom and Fire Flower. Or hell, let's just give him a Power Star and call it a day.

Then think about what would happen if Mario took Link's approach. Instead of just turning into a boomerang thrower, he takes wings from a Koopa, hammer from a Hammer Bro, the huge axe from Bowser's castle, etc. Suddenly, our friendly plumber becomes Kratos. Even better, what if Mario could learn Requip magic from Erza, and toggle between Tanooki suit, Vanish Cap, Metal Cap, Wing Cap, and so on? He wouldn't have to ditch a powerup just because he got a new one.

Second Draft, START!
Here's what we know so far. The Earth is the center of our story, as it holds far more canonical worlds than any other location. In it...
There are sentient vegetables, toys are alive through unexplained means (and the right combination is even capable of enhanced powers such as faster than light travel through space; see 321P), animals are highly intelligent and possess technologically advanced societies of their own (with an agenda to either aid, mislead, or destroy mankind), many animals are also anthropomorphic to some extent (but capable of taking ordinary form or even human form as desired)...
Magic and spirits are a very real and tangible part of the world, there are entire realms within Earth that can only be accessed through the right people, items, locations, or circumstances (i.e. Wonderland, Oz, Soul Society, Hueco Mundo), the dead are able to rise through magical means (resulting in the existence of many varieties of undead)...
There exists technology that can absorb DNA and use it to transform a person (multiple alien races including the Andalites and Galvans have figured out this process), Plasmid technology allows the user to gain superhuman powers (though there are many other varieties accessible through special origins, unstable substances, sufficiently advanced technology, the Spirits, and other means).
One very potent example of a liminal space between Earth and the greater Spirit World is known as Toon World, a place where fictional (particularly cartoon) creatures exist. The bridge between Toon World and Earth is called Toontown, and the bridge between Toon World and the greater Spirit World is a colorful crayon world inhabited by the cast of Blue's Clues. Beyond the Spirit World are many higher and lower spiritual planes, celestial and infernal realms inhabited by beings of great power who vie for control of all that exists. These beings include an enigmatic being known variably as the Source, the One Above All, and the Presence (who claims to be, and is claimed by some to be, truly supreme above all other beings; this is not confirmed), Mephisto, and the Gods worshiped by Earth's inhabitants. Some gods are little different than humans, others are just very powerful, and still others are higher dimensional beings.

(to be continued)

Back