Fiend: Thread Three, Thread Harder. [Exalted/Worm]

illhousen said:
You can shield your (Essence score) allies and/or (Magnitude of Essence score) subordinates from passive effects. There is no Compulsions either, so you don't have to attack anyone.
The absence of compulsion is irrelevant since your very presence is sufficient to kill mortals in a matter of seconds. But it is correct that those around you are not forced to kneel and submit to be spared if the Infernal specifically exempted them from the effect when he activated it.
illhousen said:
As for subsouls... Well, it is in themes for Malfeas to attack himself, so when he experiences Limit Break, he attacks them as well. You don't have to kill anyone even during Torment, however, as long as they show proper respect.
I'm not sure that's how Torment is supposed to work for Malfeas. In the grip of Torment he comes to the horrible revelation (*gasp*) that other creatures have an opinion that can matter. He was under Torment when he signed the Surrender Oath, so he was probably not busy beating up everyone when that happened, certainly not the ones he was surrendering to.

Sojiko said:
I'm not sure that's how Torment is supposed to work for malfeas. In the grip of Torment he comes to the horrible revelation (*gasp*) that other creatures have an opinion that can matter. He was under Torment when he signed the Surrender Oath, so he was probably not busy beating up everyone when that happened, certainly not the ones he was surrendering to.
There are supposed to be multiple possible torments for each primordial - which one they go into is context-sensitive.

Quick status update: Next snip inbound in a few hours, and a more polished Second Breath soon, too. Been workin' on it.

Blade4 said:
You know just got to feel bad for Sundancer. Honestly nice girl but her life has become one shit hand after shit hand with no end in sight. Now comes the fun part do they poke the hornet nest that is new york more or do they leave for fresher and safer ground?
That would be the sensible option. Which is why it wont happen.

Blade4 said:
You know just got to feel bad for Sundancer. Honestly nice girl but her life has become one shit hand after shit hand with no end in sight. Now comes the fun part do they poke the hornet nest that is new york more or do they leave for fresher and safer ground?
They did use the cape underground to commission some expensive stuff. If they can't pay it kills the ability to get equipment that way. New York and the Bay are the only places that they know well enough to work. Any where else would take travel and investigation. right now they just need to find a target among a group that they already know about.

Blade4 said:
Yes well problem is everyone knows about them and the gangs/mob by now have turtle up because of the shit that just went down. Trying to raid anyone right now would probable turn into a slugging match with the PRT rushing in with no assurance there would be any money to loot.
True. But forcing the PRT to show and arrest some of the groups could be counted as a win for the Lawgivers any way.

Oh Taylor, methinks you shouldn't have skipped those classes in party management.

...what do you mean you were never offered them?

Welp, hope you enjoy the crash course.

Blade4 said:
And try and arrest them as well. Taylor and Damsel are looking at hard time or a heavy probation in the wards Dancer is going straight to the birdcage if they are captured.
Depends on the plan. Just knowing that the PRT will show when things pick up could be handy.

SolipsistSerpen said:
Which is silly, since the first thing I'd do if I lost my account info was call my bank/accountant.

But I suppose she's either too stressed to think clearly or might be thinking it's compromised since the feds might find the numbers in her briefcase.... Though in that case, transferring all the money out as soon as possible would be best, in case they haven't finished searching her stuff.
Does she remember Number Mans number?

Blade4 said:
And try and arrest them as well. Taylor and Damsel are looking at hard time or a heavy probation in the wards Dancer is going straight to the birdcage if they are captured.
The PRT tried to hold Taylor hostage. It didn't work out well.

Remember that the cover story for how Nicole was defeated was fabricated. They didn't list Taylor's involvement. This says that they are either lowballing her accomplishments to try & reduce her publicity so they can deal with her on the side or arrest her. If it's the second...well bad things happen. I think Legend is going to be resistant to arresting her after her assistance, and given his position in the Protectorate he can probably refuse it.

Remember from Taylor's position that she's had her reputation smeered because of Sophia, and then had her friend Damsel arrested by them & then had them try & arrest her. So far...she's avoided striking against them because she wants to think of herself as a hero. If they push it & try and arrest her? She might just decide that the PRT are proving as much of a nuisance in fighting crime as a help. I doubt she would go on a murder spree...but she might torch a few buildings & steal equipment & gear from them.

Chronic said:
I am very confused why Taylor isn't even noticing that Damsel knows literally nothing about what happened. She could at the very least try to explain shit to her.
Taylor's been in disaster mode ever since the fight with Nicole. If it's not responding to an EndBringer attack, it's getting them food & shoes.

megrisvernin said:
The PRT tried to hold Taylor hostage. It didn't work out well.
They tried to hold mysterious unnamed shadow-cape hostage though, not Defiler. While Taylor knows they're the same, unless I misread, her double-identity bit isn't out yet, is it?
megrisvernin said:
Remember that the cover story for how Nicole was defeated was fabricated. They didn't list Taylor's involvement. This says that they are either lowballing her accomplishments to try & reduce her publicity so they can deal with her on the side or arrest her. If it's the second...well bad things happen. I think Legend is going to be resistant to arresting her after her assistance, and given his position in the Protectorate he can probably refuse it.
What cover story, all we've seen so far is someone on a message board putting together news articles from shortly after the fact and a lot of in universe speculation, unless I've managed to miss a snip somewhere that is.

As for Legend arresting her? She's a top tier cape whose been shown to be fairly reckless even if she isn't immoral. Bringing in the misguided vigilante for her own good is fairly typical PRT procedure. Especially if there's public pressure.

And, even Legend couldn't simply ignore an outright order as a representative of a law enforcement group. That leads to bad things in general. More to the point, he has other motivations to seek her out. Bringing her in under a plea-bargain, spinning the story, etc is a good idea. But we don't yet have a clear grasp on how Taylor's actions are being seen. IE: Fighting Noelle in public resulting in mass deaths/Appearing all over the place terrifying everyone during the Endbringer fight. Legend's the boyscout type, sure, but he's living in a dark world where things aren't so clear cut and he's not floundering. He is willing to work with Cauldron and not ask the questions he knows he should ask. He's a good guy forced to compromise with reality, not a saint, so he'd probably be willing to help bring in Defiler, if not that enthusiastically or effectively both because there are good reasons to do so, and because his position in the protectorate means it hurts the whole organization's superhero rep if he refuses.
megrisvernin said:
Remember from Taylor's position that she's had her reputation smeered because of Sophia, and then had her friend Damsel arrested by them & then had them try & arrest her. So far...she's avoided striking against them because she wants to think of herself as a hero. If they push it & try and arrest her? She might just decide that the PRT are proving as much of a nuisance in fighting crime as a help. I doubt she would go on a murder spree...but she might torch a few buildings & steal equipment & gear from them.
Canon Taylor dealt with FAR worse on this front than having people try to arrest her for breaking the law. She did think it was stupid and cumbersome and not effective, but she never went farther than trying to scare somebody in their home. For the same reasons she didn't attack Sophia and co if nothing else.

While Fiend-Taylor is more reckless on some levels, outside of Torment she's probably not that crazy to start a war with the PRT if they aren't escalating to that level.

Endymion said:
It's ok though, she has Malfeas and The Ebon Dragon as role models for running the party. :D

Nothing can possibly go wrong. :Do_O:eek:
Nah, I'm sure everyone will laugh about how silly this whole conflict was someday once they become true companions. (Around the time Taylor grabs Glories that Never Were of course.)

And, well, they're still less dysfunctional than Sundancer's last team.

logiccosmic said:
What I needed to get up for I couldn't quite grasp at the moment, but I knew I had to force myself to ignore my instinct to curl back underneath the covers, as I needed to figure what had hit me, and was still resting on my face...
Oh noes! Taylor is under attack! Is this the Simurgh?
logiccosmic said:
Someone's arm was laying right over my eyes. I pushed it off my face, irritated. Who the hell was in my - Oh, right. Sundancer was taking up the other half of the bed
Oh, I see. Well, Sundancer is one of Simurgh's pawns, so I guess it sorta kinda counts?
:)
logiccosmic said:
"So we have one apartment, no cash, and one pair of shoes. Great,"
BEHOLD! Defiler, the criminal mastermind and unstoppable supervillain the world is learning to fear and respect!
Her nemesis : poor planning.
logiccosmic said:
Sundancer was still asleep, at least until I started shaking her. She mumbled something, covers curling in as she muttered, "No mom, I'm not going to Nagasaki with you."
And another clue flies right over Taylor's head.
logiccosmic said:
Marissa was staring morosely into her coffee cup, not contributing. Even me ordering her a smiley face pancake hadn't worked, despite my knowledge of its effectiveness on me. I had even waited until she went to the bathroom to pass the order to the waitress, to surprise her. No reaction beyond the half-lidded stare at her barely touched plate.
Taylor trying to cheer her up through the power of funny pancake. Uh. That's really cute, but I think it also showcases how little maturity and life experience Taylor actually has.
logiccosmic said:
I attempted to inject some levity, and added, "We will have to change your name to Dancer, or another D-name."

Daphne and Marissa both looked at me, confused. I explained, "Defiler, Damsel, and Dancer. Get it? All Ds."
You have the -worst- timing, Taylor.
Oh well, at least I laughed.
logiccosmic said:
Marissa, sighed. She rubbed her arms, cold in just a t-shirt. "Sure. What else can I do?"
Her enthusiasm is quite underwhelming.

SolipsistSerpen said:

She does, she also lost the account details and hasn't thought that he might be able to give her said numbers again.
Which is silly, since the first thing I'd do if I lost my account info was call my bank/accountant.
But Taylor is a kid who has never managed an account before, IIRC. Also she hasn'thad a lot of time to think about it.

And Taylor can easily learn to handle her group dynamics. Golden Years Tarnished Black to make Dancer think Krouse was a complete asshole who she is happy to have killed, and Glories that Never Were to make 'Daphne' completely happy to have a new friend and not at all jealous.
Ah, Ebon Dragon mindrape, there's very little it cannot solve! And there's nothing Malfeas's violence cannot solve. But if you combine both, then you can solve anything easily!

Sojiko said:
But Taylor is a kid who has never managed an account before, IIRC. Also she hasn'thad a lot of time to think about it.

And Taylor can easily learn to handle her group dynamics. Golden Years Tarnished Black to make Dancer think Krouse was a complete asshole who she is happy to have killed, and Glories that Never Were to make 'Daphne' completely happy to have a new friend and not at all jealous.
Ah, Ebon Dragon mindrape, there's very little it cannot solve! And there's nothing Malfeas's violence cannot solve. But if you combine both, then you can solve anything easily!
This isn't Taylor the fiend, This is Taylor who has Exalted as a fiend. A very important distinction.

Sojiko said:

And no one in her group has really has any happy memories to ruin in the first place so it's like there's no real drawbacks at all!

Spectrum said:
Man, I have the worst in-universe message board to post but I so totally can't given how touchy people can be.
Well, I'm curious.
Shadell said:
And no one in her group has really has any happy memories to ruin in the first place so it's like there's no real drawbacks at all!
Infernals: There are no drawbacks.
Sojiko said:
And another clue flies right over Taylor's head.
Well~ , for now~
Sojiko said:
Taylor trying to cheer her up through the power of funny pancake. Uh. That's really cute, but I think it also showcases how little maturity and life experience Taylor actually has.
You have the -worst- timing, Taylor.
Oh well, at least I laughed.
But she tried so hard!

Back