Does This Mean I Can't Watch TV Anymore? (Worm Quest)

Damn.

Okay. So guys. We're fucking up. we're on a time limit and Sophia is out there with power vials and if she sneaky sneaky can empower all of her minions.

We're really not handling this well or even ignorning dad and moving on the E88 intel. We officially can't even really fight the E88 safely because the safest way is liable to turn them into a ballistic. Missile. This is really when you should just call the damn cops and let the adults point you inthe right direction.

Well, since I'm late to this boat, allow me propose a plan for next time.
The Picture of Dorian Grey (As Dorian, this gives us an excellent Breaker power, along with a little bit of trauma; we'll resolve that later.)
Mistborn (Some awesome powers, either Sazed, Kelsier, or Vin would work - Lord Ruler would just have too much trauma.)
Snuff (Vimes provides some nice skills, a decent Thinker package - the Summoning Dark would no-sell Grue, I imagine - and the ultimate in sanity boosts: being knurd.)

Yeah, you guys kinda missed out on some things.

That being said, you still have time to get involved with the whole E88, Shadow Stalker situation. Which is currently getting worse/escalating as the hours pass.

Also, Shadow Stalker has used one vial. Depending on what you guys do, you might get to see who she used it on and what power the receiver gets in the next update.

Last edited:
Count me againist the whole fanfiction/quest thing. to not add that IC taylor can't get a synopsis of a quest at all unlike a book. Taylor clicking on random fanfiction/quest links is a really bad idea.
I mean, anime and manga are similarly OOC, but given the board demograpics, good luck getting people to stop with those suggestions

I mean, on one hand, the san loss would be pretty bad with Twilight (or at least, the QM's san loss), but Taylor actually does fall in the demographic that likes it.

I'm in the process of re-reading Dry Water so I can give an accurate summary the next time we get a fiction vote. So far though, it's got some really interesting bits- some that will probably cause a bit of SAN damage, but others that will help immensely.

The Protagonist is a writer named Larry Ngitis, and he has a prophetic gift that manifests in three ways that all share a common thread.

That thread is endings- he can see when people are going to die, if that end is approaching.

He can often see in specific detail, and feel an echo of that death- so a guy whose liver is about to give out- when he meets that person he knows how many drinks the guy has left, a vague notion of how much time before he's too far gone.

He meets a lawyer, and can feel that the man is going to get shot in the back- by his wife- because she thinks he's been cheating on her. He makes a decision he wouldn't have otherwise made, and the vision changes- the wife still kills him, but it's different.

Unlike a lot of fictional precogs, he can change the future he sees. It isn't locked in by any regard.

He can tell when his pen is about to run out of ink, when his van is going to need a repair, when traffic is going to be busy or not- minor things.

But when a necromancer sends a ghost to throw lightning at him while he's driving, his future vision is accurate enough to dodge all the bolts, evade every attack by the barest margins.

Lastly, he can see the ends of potential actions, where those ends lead to endings. He enters a maze, and down one path is a trap with an arrow pointing to it. He glances, and the arrow becomes a claw crushing a skull between it, a poison arrow- and he knows that this isn't the right path.

That's where he starts, and his visions start getting worse, he starts seeing into other realms, alternate worlds, other dimensions- and finds a guide, a Navajo shaman, who teaches him how to direct his mind, how to center himself, how to master his fears over the course of a ten week training montage. This bit in particular would be really useful to Taylor, because it gives her training in stuff that, powers aside, is actually applicable to her.

He's joined on his adventurer by a ghost- specifically, the ghost of a bandit gunslinger, who was killed by thirteen bullets, and gained power over firearms as a result. He can reach out and... fiddle with bullets inside their magazines, deflect them, cause guns to jam- backfire- whatever.

And then he comes into conflict with a witch who wants to change history and make the world better, but who is too small minded about it, and causes any number of grimderp technohorror futures to occur, down the line.

Larry finds the water that cannot be drunk, the dry water, a mythical substance that gives him access to the river of time, the wheel of reincarnation, from which he can cross between, by picking out the thread of an individual's life, and experience their life from start to finish, learning everything they learned- and then afterwards, particularly relevant- retaining the information but divesting the emotional attachment.

Sort of a natural SAN guard effect. All the skills learned by that individual, all the information- Larry learns too, and remembers in perfect detail.

In this case, he experiences the life of a once little girl who found a sacred grove and learned magic from the faeries- albeit only two spells. The first how to call a will-o-the-wisp, which basically seems to just be a cool light that can also spy on things. The second however is pretty cool. It's called Veracity's blade, and it lets the girl summon a sword that shows her the truth of things- she can see the past and the present- as long as she takes care, and it isn't fooled by obfuscation or being in a location where physical laws don't actually exist. But more than that, it can specifically cut away falsehood, glamers, lies, deception, mind control...

Later adolescence draws her away, and she forgets about the faeries. She grows up, has children- runs into her childhood faerie friend, and is afraid that the pixie is there to steal her children away. Her children grow- and one of them goes to war, but they lose and he deserts and lives and survives- and as an old woman she sees her childhood friend again, and they reconcile for the last time-

and Larry emerges from this lifetime, knowing and having experienced everything she did, but and it helps him immensely- for the better- for even though the emotions dim and his identity has separated from that life, he still can remember it- the good, the bad, the contentment. Love and life, learning to bake, having children, teaching, learning magic.

And the lessons that little girl learned? Larry can use them, and the magic answers his call just as it did hers.

If the precog and extra-sensory perception is the main power of Larry, then the Dry Water is almost certainly the secondary power. An echo of Taylor's own power, but applied within the meta- one that would let her view lives and memories and secrets within her world's past.

Finding herself on those shores, knowing what Larry learns from his experiences, I can't help but think that Taylor would choose a life particularly influential to her world.

Namely: Hero.

Live his life, experience his everything, learn his secrets, gain his powers.

Sure, SAN damage from finding out the big bad Cauldron secret, but like, holy shit useful Tinker powers.

I'll update this post when I finish the book.

Last edited:
It would be awesome, but we need to hold off on seeing Hero's life.
We don't have the capability to take another hit on our SAN.

Yeah, you guys kinda missed out on some things.

That being said, you still have time to get involved with the whole E88, Shadow Stalker situation. Which is currently getting worse/escalating as the hours pass.

Also, Shadow Stalker has used one vial. Depending on what you guys do, you might get to see who she used it on and what power the receiver gets in the next update.

I'm guessing she won't be giving any vials to those she considers prey (i.e. weaklings) and thus her "friends"/minions like Emma Barnes and Amy Madison get to drink those vials?

Also, it's a damn shame I couldn't vote for those three books. If I had, I would have chosen:

1.) Jhereg by Steven Brust (as the protagonist Vlad Taltos an assassin and mobster); from that book Taylor can get the assassin and mobster boss skills of Vlad Taltos; the skills in Dragaeran Sorcery and Witchcraft; and two Jhereg familiars (i.e. Loiosh and his mate Rozca). The assassination and mobster boss skills of Vlad Taltos can work in tandem/seamlessly with the detective skills of Sherlock Holmes and the espionage and assassination skills of Blue Spy, while the two Jhereg familiars (among other things) would be useful as scouts and companions to Taylor Hebert. Also, Dragaeran Sorcery and Witchcraft could prove an out-of-context problem for those capes opposing her.

2.) Wild Cards Anthology Vol. 1 by George R. R. Martin (yes that GRRM of ASOIAF fame) as Dr. Tachyon (a character first created by fellow Wild Cards author Melinda M. Snodgrass); from that book Taylor can obtain Takisian abilities related to that particular character such as mind control, telepathy, the ability to physically control up to three human bodies in total while simultaneously reading their minds and projecting one's own thoughts to them, as well as a long lifespan (which is far longer than those of a human); could also possibly gain the character's skills as a geneticist (in fact Dr. Tachyon was the one who originally created Xenovirus Takis-A aka the Wild Card Virus). The Takisian abilities alone would be useful additions to her growing parahuman abilities arsenal, while the alien geneticist skills could enable Taylor to easily recreate the Wild Cards Virus :o:eek::o:eek::o:eek: (fun times for everyone - not) - but the same geneticist skills could very well enable Taylor to easily figure out the stolen Cauldron vials and what they can actually do (food for thought).

and,

3.) Virals by Kathy Reichs (the producer of the Bones TV series) as Tory (Victoria) Brennan the leader of the Virals and the main protagonist of the novel. The abilities of the Virals include super strength, speed and senses, while the main character has an additional ability (e.g. slight telepathy) due to being the leader of the Virals. Taylor can relate to the main character in a numbers of ways (such as the death of their respective mothers from an automobile accident), etc. Tory's love of science could be passed on to Taylor.

Your thoughts on my choices, anyone?

Some of those would be great if we could just deal with the immediate social and potentially mental issues. I fear we are a few bad choices away from a mental breakdown. Can anyone suggest a book with a character that specializes in solving there own mental issues and ends up stable and happy? Since super-strength control was not instinctive we perhaps also need a power that helps learn to control other powers quickly. Currently I would be hesitant to suggest any potentially extremely destructive powers due to potential collateral damage, something like the power of Wencit of Rum from the Wind Riders Oath by David Weber could result in no more city. Some characters could result in no more planet.

In the long-run I suggest considering the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley, speaking to the dead, getting access to their skills and powers, portals to anywhere and when, all in one character, with side characters having truth sense and other abilities.

Out of interest what would happen if she tried to read the bible focusing on the perspective of the god?

Some of those would be great if we could just deal with the immediate social and potentially mental issues. I fear we are a few bad choices away from a mental breakdown. Can anyone suggest a book with a character that specializes in solving there own mental issues and ends up stable and happy? Since super-strength control was not instinctive we perhaps also need a power that helps learn to control other powers quickly. Currently I would be hesitant to suggest any potentially extremely destructive powers due to potential collateral damage, something like the power of Wencit of Rum from the Wind Riders Oath by David Weber could result in no more city. Some characters could result in no more planet.

In the long-run I suggest considering the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley, speaking to the dead, getting access to their skills and powers, portals to anywhere and when, all in one character, with side characters having truth sense and other abilities.

Out of interest what would happen if she tried to read the bible focusing on the perspective of the god?
A) I've already suggested Samuel Vimes as the fount of sanity.
B) No religous texts allowed.

It would be awesome, but we need to hold off on seeing Hero's life.
We don't have the capability to take another hit on our SAN.

Well I'm not saying it needs to be an immediate decision, but in general I think the trade-offs as a sooner, rather than later, could be worth it. Over the course of the story, the protagonist goes through some profound realizations that significantly affect his mental stability for the positive, which is one of the reasons I think it would be a good choice for Taylor. Moreover, the character is in a position that would resonate with her strongly- he's a recently seemingly mostly normal guy who is hilariously out of his depth but is doing the best he can. He's encountering all kinds of things that he isn't prepared for, and learning how to deal with them, how to discipline his mind and control his situation.

Oh also, it'll give her the ability to know if someone's a parahuman or not. That might be useful.
EDIT: Also, wormholes.

Last edited:
3.) Virals by Kathy Reichs (the producer of the Bones TV series) as Tory (Victoria) Brennan the leader of the Virals and the main protagonist of the novel. The abilities of the Virals include super strength, speed and senses, while the main character has an additional ability (e.g. slight telepathy) due to being the leader of the Virals. Taylor can relate to the main character in a numbers of ways (such as the death of their respective mothers from an automobile accident), etc. Tory's love of science could be passed on to Taylor.
Your thoughts on my choices, anyone?

I only really know of the Virals series, but I think that being sick and the instincts the characters get would be a bit of a downside.

Which book for Vimes since I would also like Carrot?
Carrot should probably be a different book, like Jingo.
Vimes needs to come from Snuff, because that's when at the height of his glory. And, you know, not dealing with his family being targeted as he slowly becomes possessed by an ancient vengeance entity (as in Thud!).

How about we stop flailing for books and justake honest sensible choices. Powersay be a tool but they next to never really solve your problems.

Throughout all of this, your Dad
"your dad" or just "Dad".
Rule 6b. Capitalize relatives' family names (kinship names) when they immediately precede a personal name, or when they are used alone in place of a personal name.

Examples:
I found out that Mom is here.
You look good, Grandpa.
Andy and Opie loved Aunt Bee's apple pies.

However, these monikers are not capitalized with possessive nouns or pronouns, when they follow the personal name, or when they are not referencing a specific person.

Examples:
My mom is here.
Joe's grandpa looks well.
The James brothers were notorious robbers.
There's not one mother I know who would allow that.
You could probably treat your abilities
You could probably test your

@SCO, stop making such posts. They're filled with poison, character bashing, name calling, franchise bashing, and all around bashing. Worst of all, you're writing in a stream of consciousness style, which together with your relatively long posts causes me headaches. You're a menace to questers due to your unending vitriol and sheer arrogance.

Once again, stop doing that. It harms and rots the discussion away. You're capable of not acting like a total dick, so stop already.

Disclaimer: It's late here, I'm tired, and SCO has the standard avatar. Posts may have blended with a few that aren't his. Nevertheless, such a conduct is unacceptable from anyone so this applies to everyone.

How you shut up yourself? I'm fine with calling in the mods to examine my own posts, where i (almost) always give my rationale for my thoughts. Did you thought of examining your own post when you 'called out' me, a real person, instead of a work of art (like i assume you're irritated about since the last post that was slightly sarcastic here was about the Name of the Wind)?

Really, grow up, i can and will always say my mind when i see a thoughtless vote winning or a bad book praised and i make no bones about it.

Last edited:
Please use proper grammar so people can understand what the hell you're saying.

Growing up has nothing to do with conduct on an online forum. Calling posts stupid, characters Gary Stus with no provided examples, and calling everything created for Dune after Frank Herbert died shit is being a dick.

Like I said, stop being such a dick. If a book is bad, explain why it wouldn't be good for Taylor's mentality or powers instead of just claiming it's full of Gary Stus.
This quest is too stressful. Back to reading headway and hope you choose wisely and are not slapped by the QM for blatant manipulation.
This would imply you're somehow smarter than the entire user base. You seem to have this idea that the QM will railroad the story because of voter incompetence in your lack of presence.
Name of the Wind protagonist is a cringeworthy gary stu. If you want to read about how she learns to give orgasms from the goddess of elf-love of the place herself, by all means choose that.
You're not only trusting the words of one tricky bitch, you also seem to think we would go with the protagonist. That is in no way, shape, or form guaranteed. You also used the wrong gender for the protagonist.

Basically, what @Rakuhn said.
@SCO not the place for character bashing.

Last edited:
Okay, so. I finished Dry Water. As promised, here is a complete write up for the story.

There are three characters Dry Water explores the lives of that would potentially be worthwhile to follow. All of them are the heroes of their own story, and the villains of the others. They've all done bad things for good reasons, and all had a hand in changing the world for a future they fear.

The first I've already mostly covered, but they intertwine down the road.

Larry Ngitis, the protagonist, goes through life and love and loss and comes back to himself a dozen time, having lived others' lives, and gained so much from having done so. He's learned secrets of sorcery, of faerie magic, even bits of necromancy- the art of calling up and binding spirits, of traveling to other dimensions. He's crossed the river of time and reincarnation, and over the course of the book become... himself, but more.

He experiences bad things, the woman he loves dies in his arms- but that isn't the end, because Death isn't the end. He meets her later, shares time and love and life with her, before she passes beyond his grasp, but never his reach.

He learns how to be with her, without the spiritual journey, without the mythical water, he learns how magic and imagination and dreams and contentment are tied together- and ultimately it leaves him in a much better place, ready to begin the next adventure.

The powers he comes out of the end of the book with are:

1. Precog. He has a second sight related to threats and endings, can he see/sense death that would come to people he meets, and understand the context associated with it. He can see the death that would come to objects- motors breaking down, pens running dry. He can see the death that would come from the actions of another- not easily or simply, but with effort and experience.

2. Sorcerous Sight. Larry learns how to see the weave of power, can can tell when someone has it or not.

3. Veracity's Blade. A rapier, later a Saber, basket hilt and all, the light of its blade shows the truth both to the wielder and anyone who the wielder directs to see it. They do have to see the blade- if they aren't looking at it, it won't work. It can blind (blinded by the truth was never so literal), it can force understanding upon others, making a revenant realize they are the dead, and depart, and it can show the past actions of another who the wielder has encountered. It's also a very excellently crafted blade and virtually indestructible so long as the wielder learns how to make it their own (Larry does over the course of the story).

4. How to move without moving. It's a memory of a specific shape, a path, a pattern through the tesseract of possibilities- a wormhole leap through space from one place to another. It hinges on personal connections- places, experiences, lives, love- but lets its user leap across vast distances without crossing the intervening space. Probably the hardest of the abilities Larry learned to use.

5. The binding of souls and spirits. Larry lived the Necromancer Judzyas, student of Socrates' life, from birth to the present, some thirteen dozen generations. Although most of that knowledge slipped away, too much to grasp or retain, Larry held onto the ability to summon, bind, and command spirits- both of the dead, or those who were never corporeal- spirits of nature, life, wind, and dust. As part of this knowledge, Larry learned how to bring his body to the edge of death, and slip its cord, traveling through other realms in astral form- before returning to his body. The Necromancer used this technique to jump between bodies, leaving his original when its death came, and move to another very near death, healing and reinvigorating it with his power.

6. Shifting possibilities. An application of #3, Larry can choose to see beyond the world, to see other facets of things that exist or may yet become real. He uses this power once to enact a permanent change on a swiss army knife with three tools visible in our world, but six in worlds beyond, changing it, shifting it. The knife becomes rippling gold, and another tool unfolds a blade of seven diamond slices, sharper than anything made by man, capable of cutting through leather and stone as if they were butter, and a pen that writes on the air in golden ink. He uses this power a couple more times for minor purposes, once on a gun.

7. The Dry Water, an airy liquid that seeps out from the cracks in reality, representing pure possibility, energy, imagination, it lets one walk the shores of the great river, the path to heaven, the wheel of reincarnation, where time has no meaning. The river isn't really a river- it's time. The water isn't really water, it's the life threads of all who have lived, and all who will live. Through searching and knowledge, through connection, one can find the paths of others- even those yet living- and join them as an echo, a childhood imaginary friend, a familiar on their journey through life, learning and experiencing all they do. It is the ultimate source of perspective, and Larry experiences three very different lives through it, gaining maturity, contentment, and knowledges ranging from child-rearing, bread baking, home making, fluency in latin, italian, spanish, and french, skill in manipulating people and systems, understanding of love and loss and forgiveness- and more.

8. The bullet of one Mathew Carlson, a racist, rapist, murdering outlaw from the Wild West, who was killed in his drunken sleep with $2.50 in his wallet and half a bottle of booze. Over the course of the story he goes from unlikable to a friendly, reliable companion, made manifest to Larry through physical contact with his bullet. Specifically, Larry coated the thing in epoxy and chews on it (the magic says it has to be inside you). Matt can step inside Larry when the latter is shooting, giving him something of his emotions (SAN alert!) but also perfect accuracy. He can also cause bullets and guns of all kinds to go awry. Over the course of the story he goes from hilariously racist (Larry is 1/8th Chinese) to a dependable friend, and unlike so many other fictions ghosts, who are locked into their last moments, Matt genuinely changes himself for the better.

Next up is the Spirit Whisperer, Raja, a girl born in the far past and taught by elemental shadows, emenations of great spirits of cold and ice. She was taken from her home by a man who sought to use her, who sold her into slavery to the priests of the valleys, who worked her near to death, sought to bind her power and fuel their own with it- but one night she escaped, and traveled far into the mountains, into the ice and snow, perhaps to die. Instead, she found the great spirits who had whispered to her as a child, and they taught her how to survive, how to tie her natural rhythms to the seasons, her power waxing in the summer and waning in the deep of winter. She studied with them for a lifetime, before traveling down from the mountains and walking the world, studying with shamans and acolytes of every type and color.

Her powers are primarily:

1. The powers of the spirits. Whereas the Necromancer Judzyas relied on words of power and sigils of binding to command spirits to do things for him, Raja learned how to take their powers for her own, not just calling upon spirits of nature, love, and life, or the art of sigils and bindings, but to manfiest terror and wind, storm and lightning of her own power.

2. Enchantment of objects to overpower defenses, to pin the soul, to unweave the form, to see beyond the walls of the world, far without distance, through hearts and minds. She is a crafter, using sigils and artifice, forging life and limb, tree and stone. She made a living cross to bar a shaman who was her enemy from returning to the world, she had a pool of water she used for scrying, distance seeing, truth divining, and all her casting. She made a coin to spy on an enemy, and a marble to snare the soul of a pawn, a stake to bind the necromancer to this world, to his death inescapable.

3. The Dry Water. Raja uses the water in a way similar to Larry, but thinks too simplisticly. She changes the past, changing time, thinking much like the SI authors of our own website- that she can 'fix it' and everything will work out. She stops Columbus from finding the new world, and expects this will give her centuries to bring the natives of the americas up to a technologically enlightened power that keeps their traditions strong and will change the pace of the world. Instead, the French find the new world two years later, and everything turns to grimderp technohorror. Oops.

4. A Subtle Touch. Defeated in her schemes by Larry's efforts, Raja learns to tread more softly, to act subtly upon the world. She uses her last dose of the Dry Water not for herself or to attempt to change time again, but welds its magic to the magic of her scrying pool, creating a branch in the great river, letting some of the wonder and imagination of the past pass through her realms. Through this she gains access to the summerlands, a realm of wonder and time gone by, the world of the faeries of nature and of life, and a doorway to pass between the world and the realm. This allows her to travel there to reinvigorate herself, even in the height of winter, and when she returns, to bring a little more wonder into the world, a little more imagination and hope- changing the world for the better littly by little.

5. Sorerous Sight. Raja can see the weave of power, and tell when someone has it or not.

Lastly we have Judzyas, the necromancer- or for much of the story, known as Nikolas, or 'Nick'. He was born long ago, and was Socrates' most faithful student, but another student wiped his name from history *cough*Plato*cough*. Socrates did not fear death, for his patron, a many angled one from far beyond the world, promised him life everlasting in realms beyond the mortal coil. But before he passed, he conveyed his information to Nick, and the latter traveled and found the beginings of power- but also the beginings of a future that burned the world to dust. Like Raja, he was too short sighted, too small minded. He saw colleges burn, he saw change, and he saw power- and he came to the realization that Prophets, those who can see the future, or perhaps just those who have what it takes to change the world, are behind these great times of strife, and so he made it his personal duty to end them before they can bring the change they were born for. He takes every failure upon himself- Alexander the Great, Joan of Arc, even Oppenheimer, and rededicates himself to his cause.

Over the course of the story, he eventually learns that the reason we aren't all sorcerors living in a gilded golden wonderful post scarcity society can be laid singularly at his own feat, by his own hand- for it was true. A prophet would bring the world to ruin- and in all those other visionaries he saw echoes of the true threat. When they died, he was always too late- for the other Prophet he sought had changed the world yet again.

That prophet, the one he couldn't quite see?

It was himself. He was the threat to the world, and through his actions, the world nearly came to ruin.

His powers are primarily:

1. Binding Spirits. He binds spirits of the sickened dead to physical form to serve him, a spirit of an electrical operator with a knowledge of the physics of electricity and a command over its elements, who can stir the clouds to storm, and summon lightning to strike. He binds spirits of the dead and beyond, summoning their power, their knowledge, and making them into his weapons. His power grows as winter does, strengthens in that time of death.

2. Sigils and Bindings. Though not as powerful as Raja, whom he once shared a lifetime with, he is an adept hand with these, both for binding spirits and other sorcerors, for forging traps and weapons against his enemies.

3. Traveling the Netherrealms. Those other dimensions, beyond the world- while Raja remained firmly on Earth, despairing of the future, Nick was off exploring beyond this realm, taking care not to catch the attention of the many-angled ones, but learning how to tread lightly, how to pass between bodies, how to live forever, how to identify and bind the powerful ghosts from the weak.

4. The Dry Water. The novel leaves his fate open- he drinks of the water and leaves himself open to possibility. He walks the shores of the great river, and goes to experience the first life that Larry did, the life of Anne-Marie, the girl who saw the faeries, who lived and loved and lived well, to gain his soul back from the figurative cluthes of death and ennui. Perhaps he continued experiencing lives, rebuilding himself from lives well lived, rather than a life dedicated to hunting the specter of his own actions. Perhaps he returned to the world, to pick up the pieces of his life- or even let his spirit travel beyond, to the cycle of reincarnation once more.

5. Sorcerous Sight. Nick can see the weave of power and tell when someone has it or not.

Each of these characters experience powerful revelations that affect their character for the better. They learn new applications of magic, but the real lesson is not to be so small minded, so simplistic in their thoughts. There are solutions, yes, but they are not simple or easy, they require effort and work. Raja in particular fell into the same trap Eden did. They were both too focused on that wonderful future they would forge, that had everything they wanted- to see that they hadn't truly set it in motion yet. All three of them become better people over the course of the story, and earn a measure of contentment and awareness and sanity.

That said, of the lessons learned and the order of positivity and self awareness, I would say that it is ordered as follows:

Larry
Nick
Raja.

Raja learns the least, and she's totally unreprentent about her bullshit. She doesn't do as many horrifying things as Nick does- from a pure SAN perspective- but she's still a total asshole and finishes the story basically congratulating herself on pulling a fast one on Larry.

Nick learns a lot- but he starts off a much worse person, and all the shit he does with necromancy of spirits would probably lead to a lot of SAN hits before the resolution and enlightenment brings an awakening to a better self. Also the book starts off with him getting murdered by Raja (moreorless) and he doesn't pop back up until much later, so I don't think he's necessarily the best choice, although he's probably better than Raja at least with Taylor's sanity in mind.

Larry is, I think the best choice- and while Nick is better than Raja- Larry experiences Nick's life, even if most of those details are forgotten. The key points stand out, and although Larry retains only a smattering of that knowledge, in this case I think it's very good, and even essential that he forgets the rest because it means that, so too will Taylor- and thus Nick's life will be overshadowed by the other two lives Larry experienced.

Those lives were Anne-Marie, the girl, mother, grandmother, who saw faeries and learned something of their magic, and another- Arturo, the Spanish Patron of Christopher Columbus.

Lots and lots of information and knowledge there, all of which Larry- and thus Taylor- would retain coming out.

The big thing is that these lives gave Larry the ability to really appreciate his own life. They didn't overwrite or overshadow his own life, but complemented it- and so too, for Taylor, these experiences would help her immensely, giving her a bulwark, a bastion of sanity in a pool of uncertainty, teaching her to trust herself, but also how to understand what it is she's feeling, what emotions she's unfamiliar with look like- love and life and loss.

And remember: Sadness is not SAN loss. Experiencing sadness is necessary to truly comprehend joy, and to give context to the passage of time and life- Taylor's used to bottling things up inside, but what she really needs sometimes is a good cry. Larry goes through loss- but also gains his losses back, and gains so much more. The powers are nice- sure- potentially very useful- but it is the personal lessons, the awareness, the understanding of life and emotion that really matter here- they give us a chance to give Taylor stability and the maturity to handle the horrors she may yet experience.

There's also a good chance that living three lifetimes and then her experiences as Larry himself will probably totally overwrite the long term phobia from the Monkey King, or at least make a major dent in it.

Last edited:
How you shut up yourself? I'm fine with calling in the mods to examine my own posts, where i (almost) always give my rationale for my thoughts. Did you thought of examining your own post when you 'called out' me, a real person, instead of a work of art (like i assume you're irritated about since the last post that was slightly sarcastic here was about the Name of the Wind)?

Really, grow up, i can and will always say my mind when i see a thoughtless vote winning or a bad book praised and i make no bones about it.
Please use proper grammar so people can understand what the hell you're saying.

Growing up has nothing to do with conduct on an online forum. Calling posts stupid, characters Gary Stus with no provided examples, and calling everything created for Dune after Frank Herbert died shit is being a dick.

Like I said, stop being such a dick. If a book is bad, explain why it wouldn't be good for Taylor's mentality or powers instead of just claiming it's full of Gary Stus.

This would imply you're somehow smarter than the entire user base. You seem to have this idea that the QM will railroad the story because of voter incompetence in your lack of presence.

You're not only trusting the words of one tricky bitch, you also seem to think we would go with the protagonist. That is in no way, shape, or form guaranteed.

Basically, what @Rakuhn said.
Unlearks and peeks head above battlements like a new born mole poking its head above ground for the first time.

Hears a loud bang as several opposing armies charge towards each other, cannons, and other more estoric weapons firing.

The mole wisly decides to return below ground level to wait for the battle and anger to subised, relurks.

It's a pity he didn't rethink defending the name of the wind, because even if i can believe that that character was lying the author still saw fitting to have a whole chapter about the mc fucking a elf, and later on has another chapter about the mc having a treesome with ninjas that don't know what pregnancy is (presumably they have vial babies or something unexplained).

Those books have the author being coy about the MC being a unreliable narrator and being essentially lying his teeth off in a meta narration, but the thing is, they're still bad. Regardless of whatever twist the author is planning. I dimly remember a part near the middle or end of the first book (it's been over 5 years i think) where the writing is so bad it became memorable (it's about the mc defeating a ... i think dragon? As a 13 year old? Incognito of course). Or a interestingly utilitarian scene where a history of human experimentation goes like this 'yeah he killed tens of thousands with shoddy and useless inhumane experimentation. But science!'

There is also the fact that the MC is a magician runemaster tinker at 14 among his many 'accomplishments' that is making me suspicious of the reason it was suggested (fucking tinkers).

My rage to the Dune series desecration knows no boundaries* so i will even refrain from writing about it. Suffice to say, there is a whole forum that agrees with it (heh, orthodox herbertarians), even if i'm not a poster.

*except, ok the third book wasn't all that good (it butchered characters) and the 3 last books are wayyy too obsessed with sex as a explanation of everything).

Last edited:
I never said that Name of the Wind is good. I merely said you should explain your point. Preferably in a less caustic manner but it's a start.

Been years since I read it myself, so I can't properly discuss the subject.

... Shit, this is going to be a recurring theme with you, isn't it?

Nice.

Anyway,

These are straight up horror books about vampires, and if i recall correctly the main character in almost all of the books is (or becomes? I only read a few later ones) a half vampire or something, so the same objection applies of taking something that is very much not beneficial. I think the vampires live in a deathworld or something. It's not very pleasant.

Last edited:
Back